[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favourite System Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1460662328453.jpg (175 KB, 1169x1600) Image search: [Google]
1460662328453.jpg
175 KB, 1169x1600
Tell me about your favourite system /tg/

>Why is it good?
>Why is it bad?
>What is the absolute worst thing about it?
>>
>>47168299
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
>The Good
Fast, story-driven, the dice pool system and how it's used is interesting to me.
It handles mobs correctly, and the fate point equivalents aren't always an 'I win' button.
Superpowers are handled in a way that remains true to their roots.
Low-powered heroes that play smart can completely wreck an unsuspecting high-power super with the opportunity system.
>The Bad
Nobody plays it.
Character creation and creating even a semblance of balance can be a headache.
Fights are generally curbstomps one way or the other, don't take long enough.
The dice pool system is apparently incomprehensible to d20 players.
>The Worst
Creating a Marvel super hero is just plain asking for special snowflake bait.
>>
Strike!
>Why is it good?
It strips away all the things I don't give a shit about and leaves me with a nice little system that can be used for most of the games I'd like to run/play.
>Why is it bad?
It strips away a bit too much. Some can't deal with the freedom. The book layout is kinda shit.
>What is the absolute worst thing about it?
Can't find a group IRL to play and playing over maptools ain't the same (nor do I have as much willingness or time for that).
>>
>>47168299
GURPS
>Good
It lets me do everything to my liking. Especially as a DM.
>Bad
Lots and lots of work as a DM.
>the worst
It doesn't actually let me do everything to my liking. See Supers and vehicles. Also high point games make me want to gouge my eyes out with a melon baller.
>>
>>47168670
I agree with all, but what's the issue with high point games? Never gone too high.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 632x655) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 632x655
>>47168794
Well. It sort of depends on why they have so many points. If they're rulers or great heroes, or wizards with expansive spell libraries but otherwise normal then it's fine.

But high point characters with stacking supernatural abilities and advantages literally turns the game into a fucking horror show. It usually only comes up in supers games though.
>>
Fantasy Craft

>Good
Crunchy enough to satisfy my liking for detailed mechanics to flesh out concepts in hard rules, but designed with an eye toward simplicity and narrative abstraction so it supports rather than hinders storytelling and character design.

Flexibility to use for a variety of settings and campaign styles.

Super flexible and easy-to-use NPC/monster creation system.

Solid balance, with plent of support for all kinds of characters and almost no trap options.

>Bad
Hardly anybody plays it, pretty much the only way to find a game is to run it myself and talk people into it.

Still some notable balance issues (eg, vitality bloat at high levels, crossbows suck compared to any other ranged weapon).

Core rules are organized extremely poorly, makes it a pain to learn for the first time and makes it look a lot more mechanically convoluted than it actually is.

>Worst
Spellbound never.
>>
>>47169034
Spellbound SOON, anon.

Or so they claim.

Honestly I never noticed vitality bloat being a serious issue (the numbers get big, but there's a lot of ways to whittle them down or side-step them)

I will agree that crossbows are utter trash though.
>>
>>47169073
Vitality bloat isn't an issue if you're aware of it, but I think the fact you need to be aware of it makes it noteworthy as a point of less-than-ideal design. Certainly not a fatal flaw by any means, but still a flaw.
>>
File: 1460136493023.png (220 KB, 541x700) Image search: [Google]
1460136493023.png
220 KB, 541x700
>>47168299
Mutants and masterminds

>The Good
It has rules for most things.
Combat is also pretty straightforward and easy to get into.
Awesomely wide range of powers you can make and use with your character.
>The Bad
Not enough people play it.
>The Worst
Balance is a dire issue if the GM doesn't shoot down stupid/min-maxy ideas during character creation.
>>
Dragon Age RPG

>The Good
Aside from me liking the setting, the system is easy enough to learn while still holding a level of depth with it's focuses, talents and stunt points which make the combat in the best cases become a really good and fast flowing experience and have variety in it.

>The Bad
On average you might as well not roll for things you're not trained in and several of the talents are rather boring or restrictive. Such as the contacts talent which basically is the only way to (technically) make allies on a small scale or who you can't do music without the appropriate talent. Also some of the specializations (read: archetypes) are boring or really hard to get depending on what you want.

>The Worst
The damage is really low and dodge/AC is really high from early-to-mid game and if you don't get stunt points the fights can take forever. Also nobody plays it.
>>
>>47169248
Are you talking about the AGE system?

The system is its own thing, they just made a Dragon Age version. It's pretty good. I'm in a game now, and I'm able to enjoy it despite not really liking the setting at all.
>>
>>47169474
Didn't know the name of the system so i just slapped what i knew of it.
>>
>>47169474
You've got it backwards, I think. Pretty sure DA came out first, then they made a standalone version of the system.
>>
>>47169846
I think you're right actually. Fantasy did feel improved.

It's honestly pretty good and it's gotten a lot of support.
>>
>>47169942
It seems to be Green Ronin's flagship core system, so I'm not surprised it's getting a lot of support. I haven't played it (or DARPG) as I've gotten really tired of high magic fantasy, but the stunt system looks really cool and I might have to steal it for my homebrew.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.