[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point does a fistful of normal d6s of about 16mm become
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: product1.jpg (107 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
product1.jpg
107 KB, 800x600
At what point does a fistful of normal d6s of about 16mm become bothersome to roll?

I'm working on a little pet project that involves the use of dice pools to resolve conflicts. You roll your fist of dice, and count those above a certain value as successes. Your opponent's/defenders successes are subtracted from yours. Any number of remaining successes are good for you, but hitting odd numbers of successes other than 1 confers increasingly powerful 'crits'.

If you're trying to reach that first level of crits with a 50/50 chance of success (target 4) and no opposition, you'll already want to roll at least six dice. If you want to improve your chances or account for an opponent, the number of dice is probably going to explode.

Would this turn you off a game?
>>
I don't care because I only play this kind of game on a computer, and unless you seriously plan on distributing your game in print it's not a huge concern.
But still, more than 10 dice at once is annoying.
>>
>>47168180
>At what point does a fistful of normal d6s of about 16mm become bothersome to roll?
Around 15.
>>
File: Meepo)Geomancer.jpg (319 KB, 985x982) Image search: [Google]
Meepo)Geomancer.jpg
319 KB, 985x982
Size matters, ladies.

I have large hands and lots, so I can roll around 30 dice without trouble. My younger brother has small lady hands, so he can barely manage 9 or 10.
>>
Depends on the context of what you're rolling for.
If you're rolling to hit with lots of bullets from a machine gun then a lot of dice can be really fun to roll.
If you're rolling to pull a switch and have to roll 20 dice, that's not fun to roll.
>>
>>47168180
Play games that don't involve rolling 10+ dice at once.
>>
>>47168180
Most of time not the rolling is the problem, the counting. I could roll like 20 dice, but the counting gets tiresome after 10, especially if there is a need of multpile rerolls (like in Shadorun 5th edition, with it's hit, dodge and armor rolls for a single shot).
>>
>>47168180
The optimal fun point is 5 to 7.
Less and you feel weak, more and the increase doesn't feel significant anymore.
At about 10 to 12 you stop caring and after 12 it becomes bothersome.

Exceptions are once-in-a-campaign situation where someone gets to roll a bucket of D6, then it feels special precisely because of the problems.

Source: Playing a fun homebrewed D6 Dicepool System for 5 years now.
>>
>>47169732
My intention was to limit any contest to a single roll by either participant.

This is my first experiment with dice pool mechanics, so this is uncharted territory for me.
>>
>>47170471
>Source: Playing a fun homebrewed D6 Dicepool System for 5 years now.
Could you give me a brief overview of the core mechanics?
>>
>>47170537
You basically figure out your dicepool with two attributes, with skills netting you other benifits. That usually leads to dice pools around 4-8 dice, since I that emerged at the fun-point and I started balancing it towards that.
Then you just roll, pick your successes and see if you beat the TN.

I eventually plan on releasing it into the world, but I'm still polishing. Formatting and proofreading a finished work takes a long fucking while for the unskilled.
>>
>>47170602
Are successes a set value, or do you set target numbers for both the individual dice results and the total successes on a case-by-case basis?

My idea was to have players rank their abilities from 2-6, lower being better. I could then ask a player to roll their dice pool against the value of whatever ability is relevant.

Skill rank determines the size of the dice pool, with a few mechanics to gain or lose dice that are nebulous at the moment.

I'm not yet sure what I could do to steer players towards dice pools of around six.
>>
I can't hold more than 40 of that rough size. One time I had to roll 80, it was bad.
>>
>>47168180
>At what point

So, you have time to tell 4chan that you're "working on a project" involving dice pools, yet you can't simply grab a handful of dice and count them yourself?

Calling bullshit.
>>
>>47168180
Arcane Legions stopped at 10, though that game has eety-beety-pyuni dice. You do have Warhammer, 40K, and White Wolf as references for games that involve rolling lotsa the same die.
>>
Ork player of 40k here. There is no maximum. Waaaaagh!
>>
>>47168180
Let's see. I remember my first Warhammer game were a group of 25 skinks had to shoot twice. I had only 25 dice in my hand and I dropped them onto the table, then I had to remember all the hits and re-drop 25 dice. Then all the hits had to be wounds so I had to drop a crapload again...

My tip: make sure that the player only has to drop the pool of dice once.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.