[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting into rpg's: advice/suggestions/tips/recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: aaHUjSt.gif (186 KB, 448x400) Image search: [Google]
aaHUjSt.gif
186 KB, 448x400
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations on getting into table top role playing games, good places to start, tips for getting started as a first time player, what to expect, what I'll need to learn,finding a group, etiquette, etc. any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

I've been interested in tabletop rpg's for a while. I used to have an old friend on the internet (before he disappeared off the internet) who would always relate his latest tabletop gaming sessions to me and all the most amusing things that happened, and made it sound like a lot of fun. I've always found the lore and world building in many tabletop games interesting too. But actually getting into them always seemed daunting.

I've been getting into a lot of things lately that always seemed daunting for me before, so I think now would be a good time to take the dive. I've actually been lurking here for a while, and thought this would be the best place to ask for advice on how to properly break into this medium.

This is my first time posting on 4chan, also. So sorry if I've said or done anything stupid here.
>>
>>47160665
Hey! What kind of tabletops are you interested in getting into? Do you have any friends in real life who currently play? How old are you?
>>
>>47161084
I'm 23.And no, sadly, I don't know anyone irl who's into games.

For games, I'm not sure. I'm not familiar at all with the mechanical elements of tabletop rpg's. So I was wondering if there were any games that would make "good starting points" forgetting into the medium.

From what I've heard of it, Exalted always caught my eye. Sounds like Bayonetta as an rpg.
>>
>>47160665
Game Finder thread. Pathfinder and Shadowrun are pretty good starting points because they have character builders (PCGen and Chummer, respectively) that takes most of the guesswork out of it.
You'd want a GM/Group who're okay with new people (Which is about 90% of people desu).
>>
File: overview.jpg (2 MB, 3150x2400) Image search: [Google]
overview.jpg
2 MB, 3150x2400
>>47160665
If you're looking to play tabletop rpgs in person your best bet will be to find a game store in your area. If you're looking to play online, the Gamefinder thread, r/lfg, and the Roll20 forums are the biggest sources of groups to get into. As with IRL and on the internet there are some real shitters, and there are plenty god awful groups out there so if you get the feeling you may be in a shit group do not hesitate to leave.

Dungeons and Dragons has the biggest player base, but most of the popular editions are really not the best places for newcomers, mechanics wise. It's kind of the curse of tabletop rpgs, the most popular system is also one of the ones that requires the most time to learn.

Name some book/movie/game genres you're interested and we can help you out with some good systems for them.
>>
>>47161253
While Pathfinder and Shadowrun may be popular I really don't think either are really something that a newcomer should have to learn for a first game.

Also, to OP Pathfinder is effectively D&D with a different name.
>>
>>47161084
>>47161215

I personally got into RPG's through a close friend of mine. I went to University at the start of this year and it helped me meet a lot of new people who are into the hobby as well. In terms of ease of play, D&D 5e is fairly easy. Its not overly complex, and I'm sure you can find the PDF's in one of the threads that pop up every so often. D&D is probably your best chance, as it will be the easiest to find a game for and its a good starting point, but ultimately its what you're interested in playing. Look up your local game store and head there one night, or try Roll20.
>>
>>47161350
If you're looking for something else after D&D 5e, I thoroughly recommend Pathfinder. It's, quite literally D&D with a different name, albeit much more complex. Its not something to start with, but I prefer it to 5e now.
>>
>>47161253
And roll20 is probably what you want. I've never actually played a Tabletop game IRL, but I've played about a dozen via online methods.
>>
>>47161383
Online is definitely an option, but In Person is a LOT of fun, although I can see how it would be more difficult to get a group together. So, if you can, do both and see what you like OP.
>>
>>47161215
Start with Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. I'm partial to 3.0 myself but that version has some material for free online (Wizards put some monsters, some stuff for players, and an adventure online) for people to try it out.
>>
>>47161253

Interesting. Shadowrun is another game where I kind of liked the aesthetic and setting.

>>47161258

I think Roll20 is probably the way to go for me, then. I posted here first because it looked like a better place to get some honest, non-formal answers. It looked like the kind of place I'd need to lurk for a while before making a post.

Are there any advantages to using r/lfg or GameFinder threads over something like Roll20?

RE: game genres and stuff that I'm into: I play a lot of fighting games and shmups, and dabble in some rpg's (usually jrpg's, though I generally stick to the more "cult classic" kind of stuff like NieR) and rts games.

Totally random games I like in terms of setting/aesthetic: Trails In The Sky, NieR, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Darkstalkers/Vampire Saviour, Guilty Gear, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, (anything by Platinum Games, really), Demon's Crest, Legacy of Kain, Fire Emblem, Phantasy Star, El Shaddai: Ascension of The Metatron

As with Platinum Games, I have a bit of a soft spot for anything that's a bit over the top in a kind of cheesy/narmy way.
>>
>>47161215
Actually if you already have a game you're interested in just find an Exalted group that will take new players. There are plenty online. I've found some fucking weirdos with Exalted though, avoid any group that mentions how they are "ERP focused"
>>
>>47161437
There's no advantage, really, r/lfg and Gamefinder online games usually use Roll20 to host their games anyways, it's just that each group has different audiences.

Roll20 is both a website to play games on and a platform to advertise your group that is also playing on Roll20. Gamefinder and r/lfg are just for advertising your group.
>>
>>47161438
'
Alright, cool. Maybe I'll lurk around looking for a newbie-friendly game open that's playing either DND 5e or Exalted, whichever comes first.

Any advice for these games, mechanically? From what I've heard, I imagine that I'll have to sit with the rule book for a while and learn a lot of things, before I join a game.
>>
>>47161215
Are you me?
>>
>>47161557
When it comes to rules the best thing to do is to just ask the GM what you need to read to get caught up on the rules. Reading all of the rules before joining a group can be an exercise in frustration. Especially since you've never played a game before and you don't know which parts of the book you can skip, as a player.

Do mention that you've never played a game before to any GMs though, it's not good to hide that fact.
>>
>>47161608

Okay, that's good to hear. Normally, when I start a new type of game for the first time (especially a multiplayer one), I try to ask questions to help get started and caught up, but I was wondering if people might find that annoying/rude.

>>47161591

Maybe, almost!
>>
Oh, another question I forgot to ask.

How are play sessions generally conducted online?

Does everyone get together for about 2-3 hours and play, or is it like an online game of chess where you can send in your "move" whenever over the course of the week.

I have a pretty messy/busy schedule with not a lot of consistency, but I can generally spare a few hours over the weekend. Is that enough?
>>
>>47161966
As long as you can clear out a 5-6 hour block of time a week you can reliably play in a group. If you can't make it to any sessions you always have to tell the GM the instant you know, or even think, you can't make it.

The chess example that you're describing is a play by post game, and good play by post groups are really hard to find.
>>
>>47162008

Ah, I see. Are most game sessions 5-6 hours long, or is that number from total game sessions a week?

5-6 is pretty lengthy, I'll have to spend some time getting my schedule on the weekend under control then. Should be manageable though.
>>
>>47162050
Most groups run one session a week, and sessions are usually 5-6 hours long, so it's a single block of time.
>>
>>47162080

I see. Thank you for the answer.
>>
Thinking about it a bit more, how long do actual campaigns/whatever last? I could probably manage my time to have room for a good 5-6 hour play session every weekend, but I pretty much abstain from all gaming or entertainment when exams are close.

Do games tend to last through an entire season, or more? And if so, would bowing out every so often be a serious problem?
>>
>>47162529
Most groups tend to play indefinitely with occasional times when the GM can't make it and there is no session for the week. As long as you tell a GM in advance you can bow out whenever you like, though I wouldn't recommend starting a new campaign right before your exams.
>>
>>47160665

Go to a local gamestore if theres one around and try and find a group.

The whole point is to just treat it like any other social activity. Find some people who you like doing said activity with and have a good time.

Bringing snacks or drinks if you're going to someones house is always cool. If they're a good group they should be willing to teach you all the rules you need.

New people to the hobby always seem to put too much emphasis on learning the mechanics and being unsure of what to do in game. It's really not a big deal. 3-4 sessions in and you should be good to go. And of course don't spend money unless you're going to get use out of the stuff, like just any other hobby.
>>
>>47162777

Ah, interesting. I always thought that a campaign/story/quest eventually gets resolved or wrapped up, and then the gm and everyone takes a break before starting the next game.

>>47163228

I'd love to go for the in-person action, as I know first hand how much fun any kind of game can be in that atmosphere (before my friends who were into games moved), but sadly I don't think there's any viable place like that near me, so I'll have to settle for the online experience.

Good to know that I shouldn't worry too much about mechanics. To be honest, the supposed complexity of the genre/medium was always pretty much the main thing that used to scare me off.
>>
>>47160665
Is the gif in the OP is 'Screamer"?That one where at the end in the manner "No, you are the mutant and then MC was a mutant (and killed )?
>>
>>47164196

Yup, it's The Screamer. No idea how it ends, though. These old PC-88/98 games tend to be enigma's.
>>
>>47164166
Oh no, the mechanics complexity is there. There are easier games to start off on, but the easier games tend to be the more obscure games. Now that I realize it, Exalted might also not be the best choice for a first time player. MiniSix or OpenD6 are also good choices for what you want that are easier to get into (minisix just being OpenD6 with less rules).
>>
>>47164759

At this point in my life, I think I can deal with a fair amount of complexity. My main concern is that I don't want to bumble all over everything and ruin someone else's game.

I'm thinking I might focus on the recommendation of Dungeon's and Dragons 5e. Searching it on Roll20 yields a lot of results, and I figured DND would be a good place to start anyway, so if it's "fairly easy" as stated here, then that's probably what I'll shoot for.
>>
>>47166221
>At this point in my life, I think I can deal with a fair amount of complexity.

Ah ha ha, that came out far more snooty then I intended it lol. I more mean I think I can handle things in the long run, just looking for sage advice on where to start.
>>
File: roll20mostplayedgames.png (186 KB, 500x731) Image search: [Google]
roll20mostplayedgames.png
186 KB, 500x731
>>47166221
5e is easy for D&D standards. It's not that easy if you compare it to some other games though. The only truly easy D&D edition would be Basic/Expert all the way back in the 70s, but even though those were still full of shit that doesn't make sense.

If you're just looking for a group though you'll instantly find one with 5e though.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.