[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k Tabletop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1448505401832.jpg (65 KB, 499x468) Image search: [Google]
1448505401832.jpg
65 KB, 499x468
Hey /tg/. So ive been a fan of warhammer 40k and to a lesser extent warhammer fantasy for quite a while now, and im interested in getting into tabletop.

As a complete noob and someone who has never played any tabletop game (other than chess, heh) what should i know, focus on, avoid, etc?

Thanks.
>>
>>47158642
Thin your paints
>>
File: Helm.jpg (45 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Helm.jpg
45 KB, 250x250
>>47158642
>what should i know

1. Games are easy.
2. People are difficult.

Your decisions should be based on who you plan to play with/ against. If you just want to collect, nvm. Buy what you like. If it's to play with friends, talk to them. If it's to play in tournaments, avoid all models not in the two current top-tier lists and do whatever it takes to win at all costs.

Good luck.
>>
dont be that guy who only cares about winning
>>
Not OP, but I've been looking up how to actually play the tabletop and I was really turned off by it. The rules for assaulting seem fucking moronic and looks like it makes the fights devolve into a ball of swords and dudes really quick. Why are the ranges so fucking tiny? Why does everyone have the same basic movement speed? Do you really need to force unit cohesion like that? There isn't a better way to resolve action than rolling 50 dice at ONCE?

Maybe I'm wrong or just not getting it (probably more than maybe), but THIS is the most popular wargame? This looks like a mess from what I've seen. Still love the setting, but don't think I'm gonna get into the game itself now.
>>
>>47160962
>The rules for assaulting seem fucking moronic and looks like it makes the fights devolve into a ball of swords and dudes really quick.

They are moronic, but then again, that's exactly what chaotic melees are: a ball of swords and dudes. What did you expect?

Just be glad it's not Age of Sigmar, where you literally walk towards each other then cram every model on the board into a huge pile.
>>
>>47160962

It's supposed to feel good to roll a ton of dice.

Dropping a bucket of 20+ dice and forcing your opponent to try to roll for armor saves or be blendered off the board is supposed to feel satisfying compared to rolling a handful of piddly dice to get a couple pot shots off.

Maybe wargaming isn't for you.
>>
>>47161018
I want to do wargaming for tactics and strategy, not chucking dozens of dice around the board like a child dumping his box of legos. Maybe it feels good but it looks horribly inefficient and time wasting.
>>
>>47160962

>Why are the ranges so fucking tiny?

Representative of distance, I believe somewhere in one of the rule books it described what the 6" distance infantry can move is equal to in the real world.

>Why does everyone have the same basic movement speed?

Limited movement speed to the type of unit makes it easier to remember how far units can go for players. It's an ease of play thing.

>Do you really need to force unit cohesion like that?

Yes, otherwise you'd end up with a unit spread across a large part of the board, holding multiple objectives at once and other goofiness.

>There isn't a better way to resolve action than rolling 50 dice at ONCE?

I'm sure they could simplify it, or they could go back to the old Rogue Trader/2E days where you didn't have 200 fucking models on the table.
>>
>>47161469
>Yes, otherwise you'd end up with a unit spread across a large part of the board, holding multiple objectives at once and other goofiness.

Ok, but is that so bad? Is there at least a rule for splitting a squad into a fireteam or something? Just seems really restrictive.
>>
>>47161554

>Ok, but is that so bad?

It is for the way the game is designed to handle effects on the unit as a whole, and for engaging a unit.

> Is there at least a rule for splitting a squad into a fireteam or something?

For Space Marines there is, you can split 10 man tactical squads into 5 man teams that operate independently.

For Astra Militarum, the IG platoons run as multiple squads that can operate independently, so you can spread the platoon out.

Most other armies cannot split squads.
>>
>>47161469
all sizes are tiny
it's almost like all of this is supposed to fit on a table or something
>>
>>47161775

I know, weird right?
>>
>>47161382

your tactics and strategy are how you end up chucking 50 dice at the table. by stacking bonuses and attacking from advantageous positions you can increase the amount of dice you throw to shoot or stab. and you can also reduce the number of dice your opponent throws to defend, or force them to roll higher numbers to defend.

line of sight plays a major role in who can shoot at what, and what kind of saves they can make.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.