[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: MTG Modern General.jpg (720 KB, 2235x1040) Image search: [Google]
MTG Modern General.jpg
720 KB, 2235x1040
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Favorite deck?
>Next MTG Purchase?

Do you like the current Modern Metagame?
(picture below)
>>
File: Modern Metagame.jpg (234 KB, 797x2046) Image search: [Google]
Modern Metagame.jpg
234 KB, 797x2046
The current Modern Metagame.
>>
File: Thought-Knot Seer.png (141 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Thought-Knot Seer.png
141 KB, 223x311
>>47158123
The metagame is awesome right now. Jeskai is truly a rising star and is tons of fun to play and beat. It's a matter of time before we find the best list and it hits Tier 1.

Eldrazi is still pretty good. Sure, it mulls a lot (about as much as Affinity does), but Thought-Knot Seer remains a monster to prepare for. I particularly like the RG Version with World Breaker, since it has crazy utility in exiling dangerous lands (and troublesome artifacts or enchantments) as well as providing a huge body with Reach. At least it's definetely more fun to play against than the Eye versions. I definetely expect to see this deck hit Tier 2 in a few weeks.

I will admit I am disappointed by the lack of a Thopter Foundry deck. To be fair, it's the trickiest unban the format has seen so far, alongside Bitterblossom and Golgari Grave-Troll, so finding the right deck may take some time or may even never be found, like BB and GGT who belong in Tier 3+ strategies. Time will tell.
>>
>>47158134
>Jund on top
As it should be.
>>
>>47158123
Why is Ancestral Vision there? I don't see how it fits in to Sword of the Meek and Thopter Foundry's combo.
>>
File: Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.png (117 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.png
117 KB, 223x311
>>47158404
Enjoy while it's there, Jund is the best king the format can ever have because it is so fair. It's a matter of time before people shift back to Tron. It looks very solid in this meta, considering how high Jund and Abzan Company are.
>>
>>47158426
It's both blue and good so people throw it in.
>>
>>47158426
Ancestral Vision was unbanned at the same time as Sword of the Meek. And showing Sword of the Meek without its partner in crime would be weird.
>>
>>47158378
I'm currently building eldrazi. Shit looks cash. I saw Gerry Thompson played it at an scg open, but I can't find a list for the life of me
>>
What's the chances of collected company dropping in price when it rotates. I don't really want to pay $30 each.
>>
>>47158652
Maybe $15 if you are lucky, but likely $20. People know about its power.
>>
>>47158652
none, its seeing active modern play. Jaces will drop because the supply will rape the demand, hes going to be a commander allstar for the same reason snapcaster is. CoCo demand will only go up while jace's will have a temporary massive drop.
>>
>>47158687
That's better. When does dragons rotate anyways? This summer or fall?
>>
>>47158652
Not much.

> I don't really want to pay $30 each.
Try to find the Origins Clash pack instead, if you can. Gets you a minty fresh one and a free Windswept Heath.
>>
just bought the last pieces I need for Ad Nauseam, hoping they all come in before tuesday so I can run it blind at my LGS's next modern tournament.
>>
>>47158732
Fall. But really, you're better off grabing them now if you want to play this summer. My predictions aren't law.
>>
>>47158741
Meh. I already have 5 windswept Heath's and frankly I have too many cards so I don't want to have anymore useless cards laying around.
>>
>>47158844
It's literally the same price you'd be paying at your LGS provided they aren't complete scum, you really might as well.
>>
>>47158823
I think I might. $30, whike not ideal, isn't that bad of a price. Especially when compared to flip Jace.
>>
>>47158865
If they have it that is.
>>
>>47159047
Mine had three until I decided to go all in on my previously casual as fuck werewolves standard deck last friday.

It's worth a check, at least.
>>
>>47158404
My favorite matchup in Jund is the mirror. Jund vs Jund is so fun.
>>
File: image:96096.jpg (113 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:96096.jpg
113 KB, 312x445
How come this doesnt see more play?
>>
File: image:96097.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:96097.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
>>47159140
Run this as a curvetopper in Jund
>>
>>47159070
Fair enough. Do you play company?
>>
>>47158457
I play abzan company in modern, get fucked up by tron. Any suggestions against it besides siding in artifact hate?
>>
>>47159829
My experience comes from playing pod, which is a different deck but similar, but path to exile is pretty good taking care of the bigger threats especially wurmcoil.
>>
File: 130928398166.jpg (100 KB, 761x700) Image search: [Google]
130928398166.jpg
100 KB, 761x700
Just finished the meme Rally deck. Looking foward to destroy some non-interactive decks next week.
>>
>>47160054
>>47159829
Path does not kill planeswalkers. Hand hate with Stony Silence (Kataki is terrible) is what will make a Tron player wish for death.
>>
>>47158134
Damn, Affinity's day 2 percentage is abyssmal.
>>
>>47160094
Yeah, I felt that was pretty straight forward, but toughtseize is a great card. Try and combo off as far as possible. Tron has virtually no interaction.
>>
>>47158123
A guy on MTGO insulted me for playing thopter sword and conceded the match, only because he got me at 2 life and then i jerked off like 10 tokens.
MTGO is so full of pussies
>>
File: 1348281153136.jpg (8 KB, 251x249) Image search: [Google]
1348281153136.jpg
8 KB, 251x249
I made this deck which looked good on paper but sucks in practice. Could you give me any advice? I was going for a madness theme since it was really fun in the prerelease.

7x Swamp
2x Bloodfell Caves
4x Mortuary Mire
5x Mountain
4x Temple of Malice
2x Foreboding Ruins

3x Avatar of Discord
2x Desecration Demon
3x Elusive Tormentor
3x Heir of Falkenrath
4x Reckless Wurm

4x Call to the Netherworld
4x Dark Withering
4x Faithless Looting
3x Lightning Axe
4x Neglected Heirloom
2x Tormenting Voice
>>
File: leonin-arbiter.jpg (65 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
leonin-arbiter.jpg
65 KB, 480x680
Hatebears has been my deck for a while and im taking it to gp Charlotte in a few weeks heres my list

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-05-16-gw-hatebears/

Any ideas on what I can change for the expected meta
>>
>>47161011
I had a guy on MTGO quit on me as soon as I dropped an Island next to an Urza's Tower.
>>
>>47159165
>insert creature card into sleeve
>it never falls off
not legal famalaman
>>
>>47161121
How does this deck look good on paper? Which synergies do the cards have between them to make you think this is a good idea?

Not trying to be rude, but I don't see an actual common theme between the cards here. Doesn't help that I don't know all the cards, but still.
>>
>>47158652
Holy fuck I got 4 of these when they were $3 bucks apiece for my modern elves deck. I knew they spiked but I didn't know they spiked that high.
>>
>>47161800
only 4? i picked up about 125 copies at around 3 dollars each from various shops around my region shortly after the set release.
>>
>>47162127
Yeah probably should have gotten more. I did get 8 swords for about $1.50 each and 8 foundrys for like cents a while back because I thought they would get unbanned.
>>
>>47158123
>Playing
RUG Scapeshift

>Brewing
CoCo Slivers

>Favorite deck
In Modern? Probably Splinter Twin

>Next purchase
Mox Jet for 93/94.
>>
>>47158123
>Playing?
8rack and Jeskai control
>Brewing?
UB Faeries
>Favorite Deck?
UW gifts tron
>Next MTG Purchase?
3 AV and 3 UB manland
>>
>>47159165
How can I even get these Holiday cards?
>>
>>47158457
Tron is dead anon, you're not immune to discard anymore.
>>
>Playing
MonoBlack Infect
>Brewing
Brain in a Jar Mill and Torpor Thing in the Ice Horror
>Favorite Deck
Legacy MBC
>Next Purchase
Probably a few more Spellskites. Fuck BUG Infect.
>>
>playing
Legacy Dredge, selling out of this shit format, will maybe buy Ad Nauseam later on to collect tears with, it's pretty cheap.
>brewing
Nothing, going over sideboard options for Dredge
>favorite deck
I'd say manaless dredge if they never printed Grafdigger's Cage and/or DRS, you can beat hate though if you play 4 mainboard Dryad Arbors and side in Claims/Decays and Lotus Petals. Belcher is pretty funny and exciting if you're going in blind vs almost certain Force of Will since it's very possible to play around it. Lantern Control when people don't pack hate it, blind milling their silver bullets and telling the other guy they have no outs left after a certain point but they still want to keep going (rather than try again with sideboard bullets) is among the best feelings in mtg.
>next mtg purchase
LEDs and Cabal Therapies, currently loaning them from a local player, Belcher stuff, will maybe get ANT as well before UG seas start costing 500 a pop.

No.
>5 braindead aggro decks one of which is the new twin and a dead shell of a control deck followed by more aggro and a+b combo
Modern just doesn't have the old tools that make for interesting mtg.
>>
>Storm Scale suggests that they probably won't print Suspend stuff again
>but Baneslayer is a definite possibility
Fuck
>>
>>47158123
>Playing?
Affinity in Modern. ANT in Legacy.
>Brewing?
Nope.
>Favorite deck?
Affinity.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Nothing really. I have really all I need. I thought about getting into Standard before I realized that that was a retarded idea.
>>
>>47159196
Eating food is part of the cost right?
>>
>>47159165
Is that Goblin riding around on Doran?
>>
>>47161503
All he had to do was wait for you to time yourself out while trying to kill him at a glacial pace with the mindslaver lock
>>
In light of the lack of success that the unbanned cards have shown to be, what other cards might come off the banlist? I honestly think SFM might be safe now, which is something I thought was just out of the question before. Almost all of the tier one decks can beat a turn 3 batterskull, if not just outright ignore it.
>>
>>47165348
I know right? The deck is fun but not great online. I lose to many games to time when I essentially have it locked up. All the decks I like to play are shitty to play online. Utron, bubble hulk, jeskai ascendancy all require too many clicks.
>>
>>47165615
>>
>>47165615
Nah, it would make abzan company way to ducking good. They'd have a real legitimate way of putting beats down now, I think it would just make the deck too good
>>
>>47161121
Your mana base is awful. At least try with shocks and fetch lands. The Black Red ones aren't even that expensive.
>>
>>47165615
Reprint counterspell
>>
>>47165679
Fuck me that's right, Abzan Company is still a deck. No one in my LGS plays it so I never think about it.

>>47165647
Why top?
>>
>>47165717
Sensei top's for modern miracles
>>
>>47165730
A man can dream, but I doubt they'll unban that card. It's the only card on the banlist that's there because of logistical reasons and not because of power reasons. I honestly think Jace has a better chance of coming off the list than top.
>>
>>47165615
In my perfect world I'd love to see Jace, BBE, and pod come off the list. They'd keep each other in check fairly well in my opinion. Jace and BBE are the most likely, but I could see glimpse come off the list too.
>>
>>47163184
I'd love that because Tron is cancer, but the truth is that Tron is still very good without Eye of Ugin. People are underpreparing for it and it shows.

Tron had as many copies as Jund in SCG Milwaukee in the top 32, with the best score being 2nd by Joe Lossett.
>>
Can someone explain to me why Tron is regarded as cancer by many players?
I'm not baiting is just that I mainly play draft and I don't understand how an aggro deck can be so bad to play against.
>>
>>47165773
But there is no more modern pro tour
>>
>>47166233
Because they can't mana leak a karn on turn 3
>>
>>47161462
collected company maybe and beast from within to deal with planeswalker
>>
>>47165329
easy there champ, it says eat some food, not a lot
>>
>>47166233
people are babies
>>
>>47166289
Personally I'd love to have a card like that in modern, but there are a few problems. First of all people complain that fetchlands slow the game down, which is retarded, but top tends to slow down games. In addition to that it's a cheap and colourless card which means several decks will run it which slows down the game and will drive the price like crazy.
>>
>>47166519
>several decks will run it
Only one specific deck runs it in all of the formats it's legal in

>>47165773
>It's the only card on the banlist that's there because of logistical reasons and not because of power reasons.
>Second Sunrise

Top is "logistically problematic" because people are fucking idiots and refuse to call a judge when their opponents take 30 seconds to spin a top.

>>47166233
>I don't understand how an aggro deck can be so bad to play against
>Tron
>Aggro
>Not baiting
>>
>>47158123
Is Thopter sword a complete meme?
Has Anscestral Vision done anything to help the decks its being ran in?
>>
>>47166627
I guarantee you that several decks in modern would run the card, even burn would run it.

I forgot about second sunrise, but my point still stands. People might be idiots when it comes to top, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem for tournaments. It's probably easier to keep top banned than to educate people.
>>
>>47166627
Top is played as 1 to 2 of in most grindy decks in legacy because of how good the filtering is. Only reason it isn't played more is because sylvan library does the same job in green decks. CounterTop + Terminus is the most powerful thing you can do in legacy, so much so that it was in contention for a ban before eldrazi showed up. Do we really need to have that in modern? Idgaf about logistical concerns, Counter Top is just too good in a format without powerful t1-t2 combo decks to go under it.
>>
>>47158134
>America Control has higher percentages than tron, and way higher Day 2 than Affinity
>Tier 2
Anon....
>>
>>47166627
Isn't Tron an aggro deck?
From what people told me it plays fuckhuge creatures early thanks to the urza lands and wins by attacking with them.
>>
>I guarantee you that several decks in modern would run the card, even burn would run it
On what fucking planet does Burn/aggro want to spend multiple iterations of mana and a card doing literally anything than burning the opponent?

Aggro's signature move in Modern is running out of gas, which is why CoCo is so well positioned.

>but that doesn't mean it's not a problem for tournaments
It isn't a problem for tournaments because all it does is extend the turn and thus the game, whereas the only other card "logistically banned" literally created 20 minute long turns that physically had to be played out. Top is only even "problematic" in the last 5 minutes of a round when you can play 40k style.

>>47166750
>CounterTop + Terminus is the most powerful thing you can do in legacy
No. Not even close. Counter Top also wouldn't do anything in modern, its not like you can predictably hit the cmc your opponent wants to play.

>so much so that it was in contention for a ban
Stop
>before eldrazi showed up
pls
>>
>>47166790
>plays fuckhuge creatures early thanks to the urza lands and wins by attacking with them.

What in the fuck is your definition of an aggro deck? Aggro decks aim to play on curve and rapidly overwhelm the opponent before they have a chance to establish/come back (aggro) or even fully respond (hyperaggro).

A significant portion of Tron's deck is filtering, defense, and tutoring, and the deck is only capable of deploying a threat on T3, and often times in the T5-6 range. Thats not really aggressive.
>>
>>47166818
Dude, your favorite card isn't gonna get unbanned. Just play legacy with all the other casuals
>>
>>47166818
Burn would 1 main, 1 SB. Top helps the deck not run out of gas, or at least filter the draw step. Why wouldn't burn run at least one?

It's not like miracles consistently goes to time.
>>
>>47166750
>Countertop is just too god
>In a format withtout duals, so you minimun take 4 damage to have counterbalance on t2
>in a format where all blue decks maindeck 3-4 copies of spell snare
>in a format where there is no brainstorm, so if you are trapped with a terminus in your opening hand you have to mulligan
>in a format where every GB deck already runs 4 abrupt decay
>in a format where sideboard stony silence is almost mandatory
>>
>>47166890
>Top helps the deck not run out of gas
With the two mana you spent playing and spinning the top, you could have hit them with two Bolts or a Boros, and better yet, because you didnt put a card that does absolutely nothing, you actually have a Bolt or Boros in your hand.
>>
>Been trying to win with Burn
>Always end up with a 50% win rate
>Tried to win at a Modern Showdown at a GP last Friday, went 3-4
>Every game felt like an uphill battle

Is there anyway that I can change the way that I play, or is Burn just that easy to beat?

Been thinking of switching to Naya Zoo since I have most of the cards already. Would it be better/worse than Burn?
>>
>>47166923
It depends on how you're playing. Burn actually has a much higher skill ceiling than people make it out to be. Sure most of their games are draw 7 and lay them down, but the ones that aren't are the difference between 3-4 and 5-2.

In all honesty you're probably just oversimplifying playing with the deck, and not exploring lines of play that someone unfamiliar with playing Burn aren't used to seeing.
>>
>>47166856
Look as I said I have little to no experience with constructed formats, so I apologize if I got the deck's strategy wrong. What I still don't understand is how it can be so bad to be defined cancer.
>>
Going into an unknown meta Friday because I want to check out this new card shop, what do I take?
BW eldrazi
Living End
UG infect (kinda budget don't have all the lands)
BR vampires
>>
>>47166922
http://mtgtop8.com/compare

Legacy burn occasionally plays top. Why would modern burn be any different?
>>
>>47166954
Perhaps, But I've been playing with this deck for almost a year now and not much has changed.

My friends tell me that I should be going for as much damage as possible per turn, but sometimes I end up considering possible removal spells that my opponent may have when they leave mana up.

Example: If I have a Swiftspear out and a bolt, I could cast the bolt and have the swiftspear gain a prowess trigger, which will let me deal 5 damage for the turn, but if my opponent has mana up, triggering prowess on the swiftspear may prompt my opponent to remove the swiftspear before it get in any damage, which means that I would only do 3 damage for the turn. So what I may end up doing is just to swing with the swiftspear and get in 1 point of damage and hold my bolt for later, just so that I can get in an extra point of damage in the event that it would be removed. Is this the right kind of play for a situation like this or should I be going for as much damage as possible?
>>
If you cast multiple copies of part the waterveil do you gain all those turns? Like you cast two does it reward you with two extra turns? Or just give the one.
>>
>>47167010
Depends on the stage of the game, the deck they're on, and what removal you are anticipating.
>>
>>47167010
>So what I may end up doing is just to swing with the swiftspear and get in 1 point of damage and hold my bolt for later
>going for as much damage as possible
I can already see the problem here, and you seem legitimately interested in learning so I won't be demeaning.

There's an article from a while back on I think CFB called "Who's the beatdown?" it gives a lot of insight on the potential and ideal "speeds" of aggro decks and the concept of inevitability. Its a good read to start.

To talk into your situation directly, if your opponent has removal up, and they feel that the Swiftspear is a threat, they're going to cast it, regardless of the Prowess (otherwise they're likely going to lose). So yes, triggering it is likely a good idea unless you have something better to do with the Bolt.

Going forward with it, if they do Path is or whatever (typically they won't, but it depends), it means they considered it a threat, and don't have that given piece of removal for your next threat (Guide, Eidolon, whatever).
They may have other pieces, but you can only typically play around any one given piece of removal (or however many threats you have). Burn is built to have more threats than they have answers, and Swiftspear is on the bottom as far as I'm concerned.

Burn is a deck focused on creating problems and forcing your opponent to take bad options. Forcing removal means that you've succeeded in doing that, even if you lose out on some damage. They will typically run out of answers to your problems, and each Path on a Swiftspear is one less dead Nacatl/Guide/Eidolon on average. The trick is creating enough problems to win before you run out of gas (too slow) or get cracked back on (too fast).
>>
>>47166916
This
Memedern players think they can compare the two formats as if it were the same shit
>>
>>47167010
Always save bolts until you're ready to win the game. The role of bolt in the burn deck is to be a removal spell that also can deal three, not a deal three that can also be removal. You have to math shit out when you're playing burn and pay attention to the board state, burn is actually great because it has inevitability against most decks if they don't directly interact with your plan, you force other decks to race you. The good burn players take things slow and don't just blow all their burn at once and leave their opponent at 5 or something, that's how you lose games. Always be thinking a turn or two ahead, when you cast a spell think of what your next turn is and how this spell helps that plan.

I'm not saying burn is hard because this is stuff that you have to do with every deck, but it does separate good burn players from bad ones.
>>
>>47167231
>>47167253
Thanks for this, sensei.
>>
>>47166988
>Why would a deck without targeted answers run a card that does literally nothing but find those targeted answers.
Legacy Burn has access to multiple "I win" buttons that win in different stages of the game. Like PoP and Vortex. In the mid stages of the game, using Top to filter and find exactly the tool you need to push the "I win button", and almost as importantly, do it several turns before you get blown out by something else, can be game winning

What the fuck are you topping for in Modern Burn? Do you really need to differentiate between your Bolt, Rift Bolt, and Lava Spike? Between Skullcrack and Atarka's Command? Even if you could realistically dig for lifegain hate, the mana and cards you spent to get it would invalidate the damage.
>>
>>47158378
Went back to the old bw processor non tax build since it's fun and I can't afford vials.
>>
>>47167231
For the record, "who's the beatdown?" Is old as shit, and was from The Dojo, not CFB. However, it is a classic and required reading, so I forgive you for not knowing it's ancient origins.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/3692_Whos_The_Beatdown.html
>>
>>47167453
>http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/3692_Whos_The_Beatdown.html

Thanks, I was hoping someone would link it. I like to bring it up whenever a Burn opponent smirks at a T2 Bob.
>>
>>47161462

Dryad militant is good against snapcaster mage
>>
>>47161668
Some of the cards are strong for the mana cost, but require discards, while some of them have cheap madness costs.
>>
>>47167676

The problem with your deck is it has neither the ability to race proactive combo/aggro decks nor a plan to deal with them reactively

It's the worst of both worlds, a slow aggro deck
>>
Trying Bant midrange. Are these good cards for that?

List:
Ojutai's Command
Dromoka's Command
Warden of the First Tree
Prophet of Kruphix
New Jace
Narset Planeswalker
Invocation of Saint Traft

Etc
>>
>>47167815
The commands are OK, but I doubt playable in modern. I assume you're talking about flip Jace, which would be OK. Why play bant though. Seems pretty poor to me.
>>
>>47167963
More for casual play. I dont care too much about competition or anything more than playing at a local level or store level
>>
>>47168020
Touche. I'd encourage you to play cards like giest of saint traft, Knight of Relequary, and other cheapish cards like that. The cards you listed are pretty terribad not gonna lie.
>>
>>47168060
Obviously I'm a money conscious player so I dont think I'm in the mood to spend $12 bucks per card.

Call me a casual but I just prefer not to drop my wallet playing.

I know these cards might suck compared to the infinitely stronger decks that are out there, but it's not my desire to drop my wallet on this game to play kitchen table and local magic.

So far i've spent $10 on this deck, with the rest of my cards deriving from my assorted collection of mostly standard legal cards. I'm dabbling in modern to grab some cooler cards to play against my friends and at the card store.
>>
>>47167802
Yeah, that's what I've noticed just playing kitchen table with my friends. AND by the time I get going, the slower decks are stronger. Do you have any advice on what I should change? I don't mind slowing it down if I can stick the landing, so to speak.
>>
>>47158123
>Playing?
Played Affinity the last few events, but going to drop that for a few months. Played some Resto-Kiki early last month, but don't think I'll play that again any time soon. Moving on to Abzan Company. Will see how that goes in the next few weeks.

>Brewing?
Always trying to optimize whatever I'm playing.

>Favorite deck?
In Modern? Treasure Cruise Delver.

>Next MTG Purchase?
How should I know?
>>
>>47168347
Instead of building your deck out of random shit you have laying around, build a deck based on what's actually good.
>>
>>47168293
>Call me a casual but I just prefer not to drop my wallet playing.

We aren't calling you a casual to be dicks, we're calling you a casual because you're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>47168293
$12 is too much money? This is not the thread for you. Take your jank rares to the casual thread.
>>
>>47168565
Thanks, that advice is absolutely useless.
>>
>>47168565

"I don't want to netdeck, I just want to go on the internet and clog up /tg/ threads by getting people on the net to tell me how to build a deck. DONT YOU DARE LINK SOMETHING THATS ON MTGGOLDFISH THOUGH!!"
>>
>>47168633
Its actually the best advice anyone could ever give you.

If you're going to netdeck, just netdeck and stop shitposting.
>>
What are the chances that Eternal Masters will make Modern more accessible?

I've been playing standard for about a year now, and want to move into Modern now that some of my cards are no longer standard legal, yet it looks like it costs thousands to be competitive in Modern.
>>
>>47168698
Modern will never be accesible.
Except for chinamens, THANK YOU, BASED CHINAMEN
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70cbNJrs2Xw
>>
>>47168633
>Thanks, that advice is absolutely useless.
Really? Maybe I misinterpreted your goal. I thought you were trying to win more.

So what exactly is your goal when assembling your jank piles?
>>
When does magic origins rotate? Can't seem to make sense of the new rotation cycle.
>>
>>47168973
It doesn't. That's the whole point of playing Modern.
>>
>>47168698
If you've been playing Standard for a year now, you've likely spent more than you would have building cheap Modern.
>>
>>47168998
I was talking about standard. I'm looking to pick up some flip jaces.
>>
>>47168998

When origins rotates out, prices will plummet until the cards become hard to find.
>>
>>47169021

This is true. Ever since Twins was vanned modern decks have been significantly cheaper than before, too.
>>
>>47168769
What happens if you get caught with these?
>>
>>47169592
Well, you are pretty new and you just traded them to a guy who don't come often to your store.
>>
>>47169729
I dont want to ever scam someone with them. Id just want to play. Would you be instantly DQd?
>>
>>47169235
What? Twin wasn't the most expensive deck in the format, and the expensive cards Twin used still see play in other shells.

If anything, with Jund being 10% of the paper metagame, Modern has gotten MORE expensive on average.
>>
>>47169818

But Jund is really the only one that breaks into the thousands now.
>>
>>47170198
And Affinity, and Company, and Zoo, and Uxx Control, and Tron, and Scapeshift, and Chord.

Burn, Infect, and Fish are the only real decks that are sub $1000 really. Merfolk might have actually passed it depending on the build.
>>
>>47170198
Um, jund is the only deck EVER to be plural, thousands. Grixis is $1800, Jeskai is 1100-1600. The format is not less expensive.
>>
>>47170342

>over $1000 isn't expensive
>>
Thoughts?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/adventure-awaits-budget-naya-allies/

It's very good and under 400, much cheaper if you have the lands and staples.
>>
Is Suicide Black still a thing?
>>
Standard Cancer, here. Is Modern as unbalanced as Standard, or could I grab a cheaper modern deck and still have a chance at beating an expensive deck?
>>
>>47170732
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/adventure-awaits-budget-naya-allies/

unplayable
>>
>>47170833
It's not "most money spent == wins", but you'll have to pay to be competitive.
>>
>>47170833
>calling standard cancer
>in a memedern thread
>>
>>47170848
4-1 last FNM. I have a lot of success with it. Just playtest it, trust me
>>
I've got pretty much all of Jund besides LotVs, Bobs, and Goyfs. Which should I start getting first?
>>
>>47158134
> taking turns
> tier 3
> hella fun to play tho
I fucking love that deck, harder to play than most think
>>
>>47170985
nice reddit meme deck you faggot
>>
>>47158134
>that 5% day 2 on Elves
Now I just have to pick between Elves and Tron. Which is more fun to play?
>>
>>47170951
Liliannas
>>
>>47171188
Why? Seems like she is the most likely to get a standard reprint. They almost printed her again until monoblack devotion happened.
>>
>>47170951
So what you're saying is you have almost none of Jund
>>
>>47171248

>Why? Seems like she is the most likely to get a standard reprint.
>Liliana of the Veil
>Liliana
>of the fucking
>veil
>in standard
>ever

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAHAHAAA

Thanks anon, you made my night
>>
>>47171273
I mean, it has already been in standard. and WOTC said they almost reprinted her in standard but black was too dominant
>>
>>47171287
>he still has hope
It's like you're not aware of WotC's recent stance on reprinting staples in standard.
>>
>>47170799
>Is Suicide Black still a thing?
It never has been a thing in Modern.
>>
>>47171287
Lorewise it would make no sense to reprint her when she's probably going to get a new card at best
>>
>>47168769
Need to check this out when I get home. Do they have all the good cards available? Or just some?
>>
>>47168769
Yikes that font looks so awful those spacings look so fake it made me cringe.
>>
>>47169776
If you can play it cool and act all unknowingly the worst thing that could happen is dq'd from the event.
>>
>>47170799
It's a tier3 or sub deck at best
>>
>>47171841
>>47171709
>>47171566
>>47168769
Does anyone have experience ordering from chinamen?
>>
File: 5-0 UB Faeries 2016-05-06.png (67 KB, 908x834) Image search: [Google]
5-0 UB Faeries 2016-05-06.png
67 KB, 908x834
Could/should Kalitas be mainboard in Faeries? Playing around Bitterblossom backlash seems like it would be much easier with lifegain.
>>
>>47171971
Kalitas is a really viable mainboard option. I run 1 MB and another one in SB. Lifeloss is a huge problem in this deck. Kalitas does gods work.
>>
>>47166916
>all blue decks maindeck 3-4 copies of spell snare
>Merfolk runs 0 copies of spell snare
>in a format where every GB deck already runs 4 abrupt decay
>3 abrupt decay is the absolute max you'll see in any serious deck list

Hmm
>>
>>47172018
He seems much better than what I'm using now to negate damage, which is baitwalkers. For some reason literally everyone in my meta would rather swing at Liliana or deal 11 damage to Ashiok than just kill me.
>be at 9 life with BB on the field
>"I swing for eight."
>"At me... Or my planeswalker?"
>"Uhh I'll swing at Liliana."
>"Excellent choice, sir."
And it works every goddamn time, but it doesn't stop Kitcheniggers from coming back forever the way Kalitas does.
>>
>>47172250
>Cuz obviously merfolk don't shit cursecatchers
>Not maindecking abrupt decay against all that thopter swords there
>>
>>47171884
Haha posted thumbnails sorry.
>>
>>47173087
These look really pale. Could be the quality of phone.
>>
>>47173087
Thanks for taking some time to upload these. Could you take a closeup of the tarmo and misty please?

What was your general experience? Delivery time, quality etc.
Are they distinguishable? How much did you pay?
>>
>>47168973
>http://whatsinstandard.com/
>>
>>47170833
It's like racing cars. There's a degree of skill, but if you don't put forth the money for a proper machine, you're just not going to win.

Except unlike cars, you're paying for pieces of fucking cardboard.
>>
>>47174242
savage af
>>
>>47173821
Thank you.
>>
I'm switching from Zoo to Burn for Modern. Should I expect better games and less interaction since all I'm doing is throwing damage to their face?

And why is it that I see some Burn lists run Kird Ape/Wild Nacatl in the MB? Doesn't that detract to the concept of shooting them in the face?
>>
>>47174936
Against pure combo lists like Ad Naus and Scapeshift, Nactl is a Bolt every turn without actually having to draw more.
>>
>>47173087
Who are these from and how do I order them.
>>
File: E4v7WeG.jpg (1 MB, 1337x2108) Image search: [Google]
E4v7WeG.jpg
1 MB, 1337x2108
>>47176136
Check the image attached.
>>47173444
I'll get some closeups of them by tomorrow. Keep lurking in the modern generals. As for the experience it really easy. I just picked cards I wanted from a list, sent the list to the seller and payed 2.25 per card. Takes about 15 business days from the day of shipping to get to the east coast of the US. They are only distinguishable by their texture and the coloration of the backs of the cards.
>>47173426
That is just how they appeared when I scanned them. They look almost identical to real cards besides the backs.
>>
What do you guys think of the full art pyroclasm and volcanic fallout.

Thinking about using the Ice Age clasm too
>>
File: IMAG0202.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0202.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
>>47173444
>>47173426
Here is the goyf
>>
File: IMAG0200.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0200.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
>>47176340
Misty.
>>
File: IMAG0201.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0201.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
>>47176360
Bonus: Polluted Delta
>>
File: IMAG0203.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0203.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
>>47176371
Double bonus: Verdant Catacombs.
Sorry for the shitty lighting. It's dark outside now and artificial light sucks.
>>
File: reddeck.png (2 MB, 1316x973) Image search: [Google]
reddeck.png
2 MB, 1316x973
How is this cheapo deck? Have more Lava Spikes on the way and Kird Apes and Keldon Marauders sitting around.
>>
>>47176340
>>47176360
>>47176371
>>47176387
Have you played these at an event? Get any queer looks from other players?
>>
>>47176422
No edilion?
>>
>>47176520
Never. People think the beta duals are legit as well. Just remember to double sleeve them. If you are using the beta cards don't be a moron and riffle shuffle your deck. Pretend they are actually worth money not $2 proxies.
>>
>>47176576
Nice. I was thinking of playing Jund, but was hesitant of getting caught. Sweet.
>>
>>47176688
You can build almost the entire deck out of proxies now. The rest of the cards thst arent proxies are super cheap as well.
>>
>>47176902
The only cards I'm missing are goyfs, lilianna, and bobs, which the proxies should cover so I'm a happy camper. How long did they take to arrive?
>>
>>47176136
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvseDNbzPtM
His email is on the description of the video, ask for modern or legacy set, he will give you all info
>>
>>47176945
It took 15 days from shipping date.
>>
>>47177050
>>47176229
Which one of these two do I contact?
>>
What are the top 4 decks I should test my brew against? I just want to do some quick and dirty gold fishing against common Modern problems.
>>
>>47171248
There is literally zero chance of her getting a reprint, and the only reason she's hovering $90-$100 right now is because of people like you that think that.

When she isn't, like every "easy reprint" in the past few sets like Zen fetches, Guide, and Inquisition, she'll be $150-$180 minimum overnight.

And idiots on reddit will shitpost like they were surprised somehow.

In the design doc for SoI, and literally every single thing Maro has said about specific reprints, they actively hint that they know players are retards and LoTV is going to mimic IoK.
>>
>>47172250
Spell Snare and Abrupt Decay are cards who's quantity depends on the environment you play at. At GPs and large events, you take an even mix and plan for everything, with sideboards tailored to shore up weaknesses.

If your local meta favors certain things, you tune your mix to fight it, and you stack your sideboard to hate the stuff you expect to see week-to-week. In an aggro/midrange heavy meta, 4 AD and multiple Spell Snares are gravy.

Especially since the Snares are just free hosing over something like Negate or Pierce. If all your opponents do is land 2 drops on curve and Zoo you, you'd have to be stupid to keep the Negates/Dispels/Pierces in. But in a bigger field, the options diversify.
>>
>>47178120
Do you think that Snapcaster will go up dramatically when they announce there is no reprint?
>>
>>47169776
You'd be kicked out of the event at a bare minimum, then depending on how well you can act unknowing and how badly the judge has the 'tism you may get banned from the store/be a constant target of scrutiny. Not to mention the distinct possibility that your peers will shun you and you'll be unwelcome at the store anymore (assuming you're not just banned), which may or may not be a deterrent for you in the first place.

You've gotta make a calculated judgement, pay the money for the real thing and eschew worries or save some cash and possibly have it bite you in the ass down the line.
>>
>>47171287
There's basically zero chance anon. She's going to get a new card almost assuredly. Believe me I'd love to see it in standard, but i have no hope of it ever happening.
>>
>>47158123
>Playing
Merfolk

>Brewing
Nothing

>Favorite deck
Nothing

>Next purchase
Spanish Mana Crypt
>>
File: tourneyfags.png (31 KB, 653x609) Image search: [Google]
tourneyfags.png
31 KB, 653x609
>>47158123
>>Playing?
jeskai nahiri and mardu dwellers

>>Brewing?
see above

>>Favorite deck?
ernhamgeddon

>>Next MTG Purchase?
just finished my legacy D&T list
>>
>>47177781
I have always used the guy from the video. His shit is good. I have never been caught but I only play with friends and fnm so take that with a grain of salt
>>
>>47178083
Infect, Burn, Jund, Tron. Something like that, maybe a control deck
>>
>>47179481
>Liliana of Safe and FUN
>BBB, 3
>+1, Both players discard a card, then draw a card
>-2, Destroy target creature
>-7, Target opponent separates all nonland permanents he or she owns into two piles, then LoSaF destroys one of your choice.
>>
Is dredge something that I should genuinely be worried about? Lost turn 3 to a dredge deck and almost lost the match if it weren't for grafdiggers cage in my opening hand.
>>
What's a good UR Storm deck at the moment?
>>
>>47181025

Storm isn't allowed to be good because it's not "real magic".
>>
>>47176340
>>47176360
>>47176371
>>47176387
Holy shit these look sexy af, I'll order a set of lilis and bridges so I can finally finish my 8rack
>>
>>47176422
Cut searing spear for lava spike, cut furnace scamp for another lava spike and a skullcrack.
Better splash white instead of green and add some boros charms/lightning helix if that's within your budget.
>>
>See Infect lists
>Some have 4 Groundswells and 1 Mutagenic Growth
>Some have 4 Mutagenic Growth and 1 Groundswell
>Some cut out one of the other completely and end up running a Rancor

Is there a definitive card that works best in this deck?
>>
>>47182534
There's no such thing as a definitive list.
>>
>>47181025
Just use Finkels list
>>
>>47182534
I like groundswell better in my list, the 2 extra damage can make quite the difference.
>>
>>47181025
Jeskai Ascendancy
>>
>>47168769

I'm getting really tempted with these. Evetyone that has bought them has said they're indistinguishable aside from a texture difference, but who is really going to feel it up?

I wonder if I could scam a few card shops before I leave by having my wife bring in a bunch of fakes and say that we're getting divorced and she just wants to cash in.
>>
>>47163130
They are only given to Wizards employees. So become one or find one who's willing to sell theirs.
>>
>>47180296
Leyline of the void
Rest in peace
Relic of progenitus.
Cmon anon, there are so much choices
>>
>>47182965
The proxies would have to be really good for that. Best thing you could do is sneak one fake into 3 other real cards and sell them as a playset.
I haven't seen this batch of proxies, but the previous batch was clearly distinguishable.
>>
>>47169592
>>47182965
https://m.reddit.com/r/bootlegmtg/comments/4eg8ob/review_new_modern_set_villa_zheng/
Review
>>
>>47183688

>goyf
>okay

Time to scam some rich autists in my town.
>>
4 Aspect of Hydra
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Dungrove Elder
3 Dismember
4 Dryad Militant
4 Experiment One
18 Forest
4 Predator Ooze
4 Leatherback Baloth
4 Rancor
4 Strangleroot Geist
3 Treetop Village
4 Vines of Vastwood

Tips?
>>
>>47166978
Living end
>>
Can I get some ideas for a polymorph deck? Would like something a bit cheaper than "lol Emrakul"
>>
>>47183787
>Buy real goyf with the money you got to SCG.
>return them one fake saying that you were scammed by SCG
>make a high media impact on that.
>they will refund you and maybe give you other to compensate
>the fear of getting fakes spread, so the market crashes
You know what to do
>>
>>47184225
lol griselbrand
>>
>>47182965
Okay, so I've actually done this.

What you need to do is what >>47183474 suggested and sneak them in with other real cards. And you don't want to take them to an actual game store. You wanna take them to one of those game shops where they kind of focus on magic, but they also focus on DVDs and games.

Just trade them in for either store credit, or straight cash. Don't try it with anything over $50. Try to do format staples, like thoughtsieze.

Good luck.
>>
>>47184238

Oh shit, let'a crash thr market.
>>
>>47162127
Card speculators are disgusting.
>>
>>47184238
Easier to just do this on ebay.

>buy real card with money
>obtain real card
>make a fuss to seller about the card being fake
>if they refuse refund just open a claim against them
>send them back a fake card in the same sleeve/toploader they sent real card in

And ebay will always side with the buyer. Do this a few times, and gradually you'll have horrible feedback on the account. So you'll need to make a few ebay accounts to buy with.

Enjoy your $3 legit goyf anon.
>>
>>47167021
The official ruling on Time Warp reads:
>If multiple “extra turn” effects resolve in the same turn, take them in the reverse of the order that the effects resolved.
So yes, but you take Turn 3 second instead of 3rd.
>>
>>47184320
It's illegal to transport counterfeit goods, there is no need to send back a fake.
>>
>>47184427
More interesting thing is if your opponent casts something like emrakul, and you have a way to cast it at instant speed, of you let their extra turn trigger resolve first then cast yours you'll get your extra turn first. IE let trigger resolve counterlash emrakul, cast your own as it resolves. You will get your turn first.
>>
>>47184613
eBay will operate as though it is still a real card in that regard. Basically in their eyes it's a case of He said She said.

Also, the seller will think it's a real card still. So they'll want it back.
>>
>>47184704

No, they will not, and if they do, they open themselves up to lawsuits from sellers who get scammed this way, which inevitably would involve you being dragged in as well.

The whole "destroy everything that is deemed to be counterfeit" legal concept is there for a reason, to stop retards like >>47184238 and >>47184320 from abusing vendors.
>>
>>47185190
As someone who has abused vendors, yes. They do usually ask for the card back.

It often gets filed as a returns case, which means you have to return the card. Maybe ebay just doesn't fucking know.
>>
File: 1338671697528.jpg (47 KB, 231x250) Image search: [Google]
1338671697528.jpg
47 KB, 231x250
>all these people advocating filing fraudulent claims
what're you kids gonna do when the feds show up at your mom's trailer to investigate your counterfeit card return fraud ring?
>>
>>47185302
I'll already be in china sucking based chinaman's micro penis.
>>
File: 13345478622.png (80 KB, 267x187) Image search: [Google]
13345478622.png
80 KB, 267x187
>>47185441
the chinese won't hesitate to extradite you
>>
>>47185515
I'll just bribe the US gov with high quality black lotus fakes. It'll be fine.
>>
People ITT want to scam with fakes. I just want to have fun and play :(
>>
that awkward moment when the vast majority of discussion on MTG both IRL and online is about not getting jewed on pricing vs actually playing the game
>>
>>47183868
this build works pretty well with 2-4 coco if you cut the dismembers. You should be running prey upon, not dismember as removal. Also, I would cut the elders (definitely, it's rarely going to be more than a 3/3 in modern and even then if that) or the oozes (possibly, they don't as much as you'd think) and run either those 1/1 trample badgers and cut a forest or garruk's companion - it's super important that whatever you pump either with aspect of the hydra or via 1/1 counters has trample so it can't be chumped by a snapcaster. Also consider there's a GG 2/3 with reach and trample that comes into play with an additonal x 1/1 counters for everyone you have out - the body is good enough as is (reach is underrated for when you need to chump as well, especially when you can sneak an aspect of the hydra to kill a wincon flyer). If you make the changes I suggest, I would also run 2 shrine to nythkos as you'll usually have a pretty good devotion going
>>
>>47185756

We all do, but WotC is determined to make the game p2w.
>>
I really want to make BUG work in memedern. Wat do
>>
>>47187338
Petition for a Standard reprint of Shardless Agent
>>
>>47187338
run a company deck. every x/g deck benefits from packing goodstuffcreatures.dek whatever the best spells in x are. prolly not t1, but can maybe push 2
>>
>>47187445
This is why modern is lame

Just good stuff decks
>>
File: 203.jpg (73 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
203.jpg
73 KB, 312x445
>>47187338

Jank it up.
>>
>>47187338
Creatures
Goyf
Scooge
Snapcaster
Flip Jace
Kalitas
Tasigur

Sorcery
Painful Truths
AD
AV
MP
IoK
Thoughtseize

Instants
Ruin Snag
Remand
Spell Snare
Sickening Shoal (No more than 2)

Walkers
Lili
Jace Beleren (No, I'm not joking)

That's really the best you've got.
>>
>>47187465
as much as I agree that's literally magic though. whittle down the shit from the set and see what works. it's really rare synergies can trump straight up value - there's only a handful of decks that run cards that has no legs in any other deck playing those colors. and Off the top of my head I can't think of any that specifically are creatures.
>>
>>47187521
Because they ban any deck that isn't just value.
Twin, Bloom, storm

I'm still shocked turret actually banned pod
>>
>>47187521
Living end is an example of a deck where just about every card is dogshit on its own but in that specific combination work well together
>>
>>47187607
Ah, living end is one I didn't think of. You're not really running the creatures traditionally as creatures though
>>
>>47187593
legacy is somewhat similar. it's just more non creature spells. most legacy combo pieces have legs outside of their combo - reanimator targets, etc.
>>
>>47187521
Allies work well together too
>>
>>47186024
It's pretty sad really.
>>
>>47187788
allies is a pretty low tier deck though in every format. bw might be like, t4? in modern
>>
>>47187860
I've been having pretty good results, and still get dismissed with "allies are shit" every time I mention it (Which is even better because it lets me go under the radar)

Kabira evangel is based and collected company makes the deck legit.
>>
>>47187906
Seriously no reason to play them over another tribe that is actually powerful like elves

Merfolk is only good if your opponent is bad
>>
>>47187928
Allies is better than merfolk, and if you don't want to spend the money on elves allies is the best tribe on that price range. BW allies is literal shit, the legit deck is naya allies.
>>
>elves top 8s an event with a 61 card deck and no sideboard
>running Nissa Ravene
>only 2 cocos
>no elvish visionary or mystic, just llanowar elves

How did it happen
>>
>>47187962
Link?
>>
>>47187960
Hi, TheManaSource.
>>
>>47187985
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-iq-columbia-2016-04-09#online

8th place. Probably just didn't play against bad matchups. No sideboard though. What a legend.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.