[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice for a first time dungeon master? Creating stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1500x3000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1500x3000
Any advice for a first time dungeon master? Creating stories and enemies is so fun to me but I have trouble with map placement. How many encounters is too much in one forest for example? And is it too much to create some custom weapons for use in my campaign? Somethin like "Holy Sword Lombardia, one per day can restore health to all allies withing sight distance".

Any tips?
>>
That is a ridiculously OP sword, like artifact-tier stuff. Stand on a high place, heal an entire army in battle.
>>
>>47150610

>topography in the campaign area is incredibly flat
>literally no extreme hills or mountain ranges
>the evil armies of yonder filed down the landscape in attempt to prevent bearers of the blade to rejuvenate their holy hosts
>it became necessary to recruit smaller and smaller people into armies to try and rectify this
>>
File: 1457150852172.png (2 MB, 827x1178) Image search: [Google]
1457150852172.png
2 MB, 827x1178
The question is not "how many encounters is too much in one forest". The forest can be Llanowar and cover a million square miles. The question is "how many encounters is too much in one DAY" and the answer depends on the edition you're running.
>>
>>47150610
I was afraid of that. I was packing it with lots of encounters so I thought by giving my players something to ease the pain they would enjoy it more.
>>
>>47150647
That is great advice thank you.
>>
I like to give my players magic items with fun effects that aren't too strong. Martial classes can be quite limiting so giving them gimmicky magic items lets them have fun too. I haven't DM'd much though.
>>
>>47150643

Alternatively, have the sword-bearer ride an elephant.
>>
>>47150694

Darn.

Okay, also elephants are wiped out. And horses are frail and short.
>>
>>47150722

Battle tower on wheels, pulled by the sword-bearer's guard.
>>
Unless you post what system you are using, none of our advice will be worth much because everything is system-specific.
>>
>>47150732

Alright then.

However, the immense height of these towers, compared to the rather flat landscape, has meant that the evil armies have been employing more and more electrical/storm magic - specifically intended to turn the sword bearer into a lightning rod
>>
>heal entire army of allies
>the armed man behind you is still wounded
>mfw i have no face
>>
>>47150818
>yfw he doesn't have a face either anymore
>>
Change restore health from all allies to all creatures. Change once per day to once per month. Sword is now balanced.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.