[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Pauper General: Split Community General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 29
File: Gurmag+Angler+%5BFRF%5D.jpg (26 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Gurmag+Angler+%5BFRF%5D.jpg
26 KB, 223x311
For the love of God if someone else asks "BUT MY PLACE USES PAPER COMMONS ONLY/THEY JUST BAN SINKHOLE ETC ETC AND WE HAVE FUN" I'm going to scream. Pauper is small and divided enough as it is. Read the OP.

>MTGO Pauper Guide
https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
http://tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
http://www.mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings
>>
So why does pauper have a ban list?
>>
>>47148902
For the same reason legacy has a ban list. If pauper didn't have a ban list, then the meta would be literally affinity vs cloudpost control vs storm combo.
>>
>>47148902
It has less to do with "unfair" and more to do with meta. When you unban and add every common you get stupid decks.

Goblins is a tier 1 deck... add Goblin Grenade and its just stupid. Hymn is stupid, etc.
>>
My lgs doesnt host pauper, why play op?
>>
File: arcana319_fullArt.jpg (166 KB, 620x498) Image search: [Google]
arcana319_fullArt.jpg
166 KB, 620x498
About to make a Goblins deck. How does it win? What am I looking for in my opening hand?

I'm super annoyed that I have to buy Goblin Grenade for local meta, but what does it replace?

Thanks dudes. Was going to try and build a legacy or modern deck but that's just too much money.
>>
>>47149188
Pauper doesn't make money for shops or Wizards.

It's a fun cheap format. I stopped playing with the mega dorks at the local place and found regular people that like to play and drink some beers, grill some burgers. Good times.
>>
>>47149284
But I play commander with regular people
>>
>>47149284
That seems backwards. Wouldn't Pauper Players have a much higher incentive to buy boosters? Of course that'd require them to print decent commons
>>
>>47149455
Why would they? There arent many cards in standard that are even playable in pauper, and when there are, you can buy a playset for pennies.
>>
>>47149455
No? Why would you buy a pack to crack a common when you can get a playset for almost nothing? And some cards are old, so it's easier to order them.
>>
>>47148881
>muh pauper serious format
>muh meta discussions
>muh tier list
You are ruining something by removing the one thing that makes it good- in this case the casual nature of an inherently silly format.
t.GoblinGrenadefag
>>
>>47149831
That's a nice spook you got there
>>
>>47149270
Why would you be mad? Grenade is great. If you don't want to run it, don't. What's your list?
>>
>>47149284
>pauper doesn't make money for shops
It's a good way to get people in the door and make a little off of bulk crap. Commons are the ONLY singles I buy at LGS. Sifting through boxes of commons is pretty relaxing, too.
>>
I'm interested in paper pauper. Looking for a local group.

I have a silly idea, but its worth mentioning. Looking at Shadow over Innistrad, each color has 20 commons. So one could make a mono color deck with 2 of each common and 20 land. (Or 15 land and some common artifacts.)

They might not be great decks, but as a concept, I think its neat.
>>
>>47150027
I actually really like this idea
>>
>>47149831
Casual is casual. Pauper is a real format sanctioned by WotC. If you want casual play Commons go for it. There are always casual players in any format.

Sounded pretty butthurt 10/10 made me reply.
>>
>>47150047
Thanks. If you try it, let us know how it goes. I'm building a deck too at the moment.
>>
>>47149270
>How does it win?
Cast goblins, attack with goblins. Deal 20 damage.

>Opening hand
1-3 mountains, 2-3 of 1CMC 2/2s or Foundry Street Denizen; Bushwhacker, other goblins
>>
File: Capture.jpg (112 KB, 952x714) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
112 KB, 952x714
Ornithopters and Petals came in the mail today :3

Red Metal without GG.
>>
>>47152386
>deal 20 damage
good luck, i'm behind 7 lone missionary triggers!
>>
I love, as a Burn player, when a control deck or mill deck takes 5 minutes for every turn racking his brain and using all kinds of card fetches only to be destroyed by me and my timer is under 2 minutes. Lol. Idiots.
>>
>>47153606
I like this deck. I'm new to the archetype though. What's "GG"? And would it be better to use Galvanic Blast instead of Lightning Bolt? With all of the artifacts in the deck you could likely hit for 4 with Blast regularly.
>>
File: 82.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
82.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
>>47157459
Goblin Grenade, it's not common on MTGO and so isn't part of Pauper, I guess.

I ran Galvanic Blast in Standard, but since you're usually blowing up or sacrificing your artifacts you rarely get to Metalcraft.

I've been testing it tonight, I've changed out the Fireblasts for 3x pic related since I often didn't have 2 mountains to sac by turn 3, and multiples are awful with the low land count.

Hearth Charm acts as another Bushwhacker effect, or makes Foundry Street Denizen unblockable before pumping him with Kuldotha Rebirth or Mogg War Marshall or both. It blows up Frogmites and Myr Enforcers pretty well too.
>>
File: IMG_2123.jpg (712 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2123.jpg
712 KB, 1632x1224
Here's the full list with sideboard at the bottom. I really have no idea what to side.

4x Pillar of Flame for Undying/Persist.
3x Vault Skirge for Burn?
3x REB for blue counters and delver (may need to be changed to Pyroblast for legality)
Another Hearth Charm and Gorilla Shaman for Affinity
3x Stingscourger for big dudes I guess?
>>
>>47157571
That explanation makes the synergy more clear. Thanks.

Mind if I try this deck myself? I really like the theme. Reminds me of my first deck back in Mirrodin.

One more question, to see if I have this right. You cast Charm on Denizen as soon as possible. Then, in the main phase you pump him with Furnace (sorcery) or Marshall (creature). The Charm doesn't check the Denizen's power when combat starts, right? It resolves as soon as its cast.
>>
>>47157936
>Mind if I try this deck myself?
Not at all, I'd love to get some feedback. If you play it, you should shoot me an email (I rarely post as much on /tg/ as I have been recently).
[email protected]

>One more question
Yes, that's right. Once it resolves, he gains "can't be blocked". The text about his power only matters for targetting purposes.

It actually has a really cute interaction with Skirk Prospector, where you can cast multiple Mogg War Marshals and Kuldotha Rebirths by sac'ing them off of each other. I've swung with a 10/1 unblockable FSD in a game just now. Too bad I don't have a slot for Assault Strobe.
>>
>>47157920
Flaring Pain for white decks that always pack Prysmatic Strands and Turbofog.
Some artifact hate is a must. Consider the shaman.
>>
>>47158010
Cool. Thanks. Will do.

I like Strobe's art. Slipping that in would be cool. And that's a pretty sick combo. Why not more Prospectors?
>>
>>47158070
>Flaring Pain
Oh man that's sick. Thanks.
>>
>>47158160
I originally only planned the prospector as a 1-2 of to beat Dazes and to fuel late game burn, but without the Hearth Charms I hadn't even considered the potential combo.
>>
>>47158070
>>47158945
It also negates circle of protection
>>
>>47159060
They shouldn't have enough time to even activate it multiple times, but it's cute.
>>
>Looking online after a good modern game with my goblins deck.
>See blog post about goblins being a good pauper deck.
>"Huh, maybe I should give pauper a try"
>Look up what pauper is
>TFW only goblin grenade and lightning bolt are the only commons in my deck.
>Staple goblins for pauper cost as much as the rares
Wew lad
>>
>>47159124
Are you nuts? Pauper goblins are cheap as fuck. It plays goblin cohort ffs
>>
>>47159124
If you don't have $37 to spare stop fucking playing magic. A booster draft costs $12 for the packs alone ffs.
>>
File: gauntlet box.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
gauntlet box.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Posting this every thread until people remember me.
One day I'll take proper pictures of the decks.
>>
>>47159367
if you sold all those decks, you could afford like 85% of a modern deck!
>>
>>47159476
No Oubliette or Chain Lightnings.
So like... 60% of a modern deck.
>>
File: tumblr_npa64fwY7Y1s9s753o3_1280.jpg (260 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npa64fwY7Y1s9s753o3_1280.jpg
260 KB, 1000x1000
>>47159476
>Have a ton of decks
>Can play with people at any time
>Can experience for different types of play by switching up decks
>Some Modern playing shill says I could almost buy one deck in his format if I sell all my decks.

Oh you.
>>
>>47159124
You can literally buy a top goblin deck right now for 40 bucks.
You fucking idiot

>>47159367
Make a cool box for it
>>
>>47159612
I was just making a joke about how expensive modern is. I honestly think it's a good idea to have a bunch of pauper decks to sit down with a friend and play with.
>>
File: IMG_2124.jpg (460 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2124.jpg
460 KB, 1224x1632
>>47159651
>Make a cool box for it
Either that or cigar boxes. These fit sleeved cards perfect.

http://www.vintagechiccigar.com/images/Savinelli%20Nic%20Reserve%20Toro%20Box.jpg
>>
>>47159742
Gotta be careful what the box is made of. I've heard that some cigar boxes have sticky sap/resin in them that won't harm or change the flavor of cigars but can leave sticky shit all over your magic cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57YzHk5t9ls&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege
>>
>>47159870
Oh shitsnacks. I've got $1000 worth of cardboard in that box. Thanks for the tip.
>>
Since there isn't really any back and forth discussion going on at the moment, and the pauper threads always need bumps, I'll storytime/blog for a second.

>Go to friend's house - brough modern, edh, and pauper MonoG Stompy with me.
>He doesn't have pauper, wants to see my deck in action. I play against his Bogles deck.
>Opening hand is 2 forests, mutagenic growth, nettle sentinel, pit-skulk, groundswell, vines.
>I swing in with sentinel, knowing he wont block with Slippery bogle, get to play the pit-skulk with bloodthirst.
>Swing in with pit-skulk, pay G for mutagenic growth so it looks like I have nothing good in hand - path - kick vines in response.

We ended up playing 5 games, i won 3 of them. The 2 he won because he had daybreak/spirit link stacks. Gleeful sabotage really fucks that deck up.
>>
So I get the basics of metal red. What, in your opinion, makes a good stompy deck?
>>
>>47160601
2/2's for 1 mana are always nice, and stompy has a bunch of them, some, like skarrgan pit-skulk have nice upsides. Great value cards like rancor turn a 2/2 into a 4/2 trampler as early as turn 2 with mana left over. giant growth effects make combat math a pain in the ass for an opponent.
Lots of good sideboard options and flexible meta slots in the deck too. For example, Monoblack Control/Devotion is popular at my LGS so i include 2x wild mongrel and 2x Basking rootwalla.
I guess overall it just feels like you can cram in a lot of high value, high synergy cards into a pile and it just werks.
>>
>>47160683
Thanks. Looks like I have a few decks to build now!!
>>
File: 1461879313947.jpg (312 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
1461879313947.jpg
312 KB, 1500x1001
U/B
aka most cunty pauper deck in general

I like how they get super asshurt when they lose, like they expected to win always

strategy: play 30 removal spells and play a 1 of 5 creatures in their deck on turn 25
that's not magic
>>
>>47161974
>getting this mad at UB

Wew. Next you'll say that creatures the tappening is Magic. :^)
>>
Hey guys, I am new to this whole MTG thing. I started 2 weeks ago. I've never played with another person and i want to change that now. I've only been playing on Xmage and MTGO. I made a Pauper Burn deck on MTGo and it's very fun to play, but I can't make it in real life because it costs $100+. Anyways there is a local game shop near me that actually holds weekly pauper events on Thursday and I am planning on going, but need a deck. What is a good Pauper deck to build? Here are my requirements

>under $50
>top tier
>fun to play

What deck falls under these categories?
>>
>>47149270
>How does it win
Pre-sideboard you just cast goblins, attack and try to deal 20. Postboard you might have more interactive spells, LD, recursive removal or combo hosers.
>What am I looking for in my opening hand
The ideal opener is 2 lands and all 1-mana goblins with a Bushwhacker or two.
>What does Goblin Grenade replace
If your list looks anything like the one I played, probably Lightning Bolt. You need that critical mass of Goblins and that critical mass is 35 cards and up.
>>
>>47157920
On MTGO I'd say Death Spark. Didn't know it wasn't part of paper pauper.
>>
>>47162576
izzet blitz aka UR alphastrike
seems like no one here on /tg/ plays this deck cuz im always the only one posting about it and get no replies ;_;
is basically a ur combo-ish where you try to drop your creatures, either kiln fiend or nivix cyclop, and beat down the opponent in 1-2 turns using your cheap spells that can pump your little fellas
posting my list (and €€ i paid for cards)

your lil' beaters
4x Delver of butthurts (1.50 each)
4x Kiln fiend (already had em from ol zendikar, wont cost more than 1.00 each)
4x Nivix cyclop (0.25 each)

shit that helps you set up combo/lets know how to play around enemy's hand
4x Ponder (set is 3.00)
4x Preordain (set is 2.00)
3x Gitaxian Probe (average cost is 3.50 each)
1x Gush (0.30)

creatures protection/pumps
4x apostole's blessing (less than 2.00 for set)
4x mutagenic grow (average 2.00 for set)
4x temur battlerage (cheap, less than 1.00 set)
1x slip trough space (they'll throw it at you)

some nukes always fit
4x lightning bolt (already had em, think will cost you a bit, 7.00-8.00 for set)
1x gut shot (should be cheap)

lands
1x lonely sandbar
2x ur duals (either gainlands or izzet cancel if you feel NOPUSSY)
8x island
7x mountain

sideboard
gut shot >shit hits delver in response to flipping
pyroblast/red elemental blast/both >mono U is strong as fuck and these help incredibly
flaring pain >you dont want to see acid/kuldotha jeskai/tormented existance drop the red circle and find yourself beating with delvers only
flame slash >can 1 hit nivix in mirror

deck can drop a t2 kiln fiend and win turn 3 with >gitaxian/mutagenic/gush, >temur battlerage >another 1cc spell/apostle's blessing

can do same at turn 4 with cyclop and you wont need to play phi-mana spells

if you play against control decks try to not drop your creature until you have apostle's blessing in hand, this way they cant do shit about you dropping your beast and killing them the turn after

careful against MBC cuz chainer's
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (68 KB, 584x347) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
68 KB, 584x347
i played my first two games of pauper tonight using janky BR land destruction
matchups were UB control and elves and went 0-2 and 2-0 pretty much how i expected

control is tough because i have low threat density and they play more lands than me
elves is mad favorable because they play fewer lands and i have plentiful removal

so far the shell looks like pic related

Can anyone recommend a better two-drop creature than kiln fiend? In modern i use young pyromancer but fiend was the best substitute i could find here.
Angler of course is an champ but for the other creature slots i'm not finding much that can stick and close a game quickly.
>>
>>47162576
Goblins should be under $50 too, as has already been stated in this thread.
Green-white Slivers, although not quite top-tier, can easily score wins and costs like $30.
Monoblack control can at its cheapest be made for $20. You don't really need Oubliettes.
>>
>>47163515
I think it's a good deck, probably even a great deck. Honestly I don't have much to add. I do wonder why you only run a single slip through space.
>>
>>47165124
blessing and temur are usually enough to let your 20 damage swing go trough, and blessing has a lot more utility than slip
>>
>>47165164
Gotcha. I forgot blessing is nearly as good.
>>
>>47164240
I was looking at Goblins because people said it was a cheap and good 30 buck deck but seems like the price went up. MtG Goldfish's "$30 build" costs $80 on tcgplayer. I was looking at Delvers and they seem good and only $45. Is that a hard deck to pick up and play?
>>
File: 139.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
Rate my Burn list? Should I put 2x Shard Volley in here somewhere?

Main
4 Chain Lightning
4 Curse of the Pierced Heart
4 Fireblast
4 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Incinerate
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
18 Mountain
4 Needle Drop
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze

Sideboard
4 Electrickery
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Molten Rain
4 Smash to Smithereens
>>
>>47166486
Delver is arguably the best deck now. Stompy 2nd best.

For cheap you can always go the troll route and play UB which does not require obuliette or Chainer's Edict. Only use it if you want everyone to be bored to death but you. It's like playing one player MTG and the other person gets to watch.
>>
>>47166486
Delver is as brain-dead as a blue deck can get. Fetches for your cards all day if you don't get a Delver turn one. Usually you get a turn 2 3/2 Flying. I don't need to tell you how stupid that is. While you're beating them down with delver you are playing semi control. It's super braindead.

My top braindead decks in Pauper are
Burn
Delver
Slivers
Goblins
UB
>>
>>47167082
most popular, not necessarily the best
>>
>>47168222
No, it is the best.
You can delude yourself into thinking otherwise, but it is.
>>
File: 20160509_150851.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160509_150851.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>47159367
I remember you man
>>
File: 20160509_150851.jpg (1 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
20160509_150851.jpg
1 MB, 2322x4128
>>47170084
Fug

Also sideboards are in old booster wrappers because most of my old sleeves were in sets of 60
>>
I just realized deck boxes don't hold cards with sleeves. What do?
>>
>>47170993
>deck boxes don't hold cards with sleeves
???
>>
>>47170993
Buy bigger deck boxes
>>
>>47149284
Pauper pushes sales of dead stuff like Artifact Lands, Counterspell, Coumbajj Witches and Mulldrifter while keeping demand for Lightning Bolt, Rancor, Urzatron, Delver of Secrets etc high. I wouldn't say it doesn't make money yet.
>>
File: DSC_1667.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1667.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2160
>>47159367
Hey! It's you! Hey you! It's me! Delver has arrived, Goblins, Stompy and Tokens and MBC are on the way! Apparently I've got Affinity and Bogles back at home too! The Gauntlet is coming together for less than the price of a Tarmogoyf!
>>
>>47166486
I'm uh, not sure how you shopped, boss, but my Goblins I ordered last week costed me 40 bucks. With full art lands.
>>
>>47167152
You seem mad, friend. Don't be mad. Delver is a fun deck for all ages. And formats. Heck, I'm here because I can play Delver without shelling out for landbases and Snapcaster Mages and Force of Will.
>>
>>47173347
Nice choice of counterspell art
>>
>>47163515
I have a friend who loves that deck so much he takes it to Modern nights. It's a good deck. I like it a lot. I'm invested into Mono U Delver already though.
>>
>>47173794
Lenda Murray is top tier aesthetics. 10/10 would tap 2 Islands for.
>>
>>47157571
This card looks great, holy shit. Is it legal on MTGO?
>>
>>47174379
Yup.

https://www.cardhoarder.com/cards/7577
>>
>>47174448
Hmm. Thanks, I get a little confused as to which earlier sets exist on MTGO.
>>
>>47174487
You're not the only one, man.
>>
>>47166819
Thanks for the feedback. Ya dicks.
>>
We've been playing Pauper in my group, but we keep to the Standard rotation so decks are easier to build for our newbie friends. Been a lot of fun.
>>
>>47176836
It's a standard Burn list. I don't want to play it. I don't even want to think about playing it.
>>
I love Pauper and I will start a group as soon as I can. Hell, I'll build and loan decks to other people.
>>
>>47177235
>Why won't people let me play solitaire.

Anti Burn players are always retards.
>>
File: 1373186972150.jpg (246 KB, 858x990) Image search: [Google]
1373186972150.jpg
246 KB, 858x990
>>47177613
>why won't anyone comment on my list wah
>you're a retard
>>
>>47177333
I'm building my Warchest >>47173347 to that very end. This is a great format. I really love it.
>>
>>47177613
>burn player calling other decks solitaire

My fucking sides
>>
>>47179036

>>47159367
here

I too think this format is great. Obviously.
I am having some troubles, I'm still tweaking sideboards, but I don't want matchups to become 'who draws sideboard tech first.' I also don't want certain matchups like burn to just be unwinnable for certain decks.
It seems to be tough to balance between naturally good and bad matchups with relevant but not backbreaking sideboard cards and extremely unbalanced matchups which are basically unwinnable, like red circle against burn.
>>
>>47179677
I wish you luck in balancing the sideboards, it certainly becomes extremely pertinent in closed Gauntlets. What do you think are the most problematic matchups so far? Is it like, as soon as people go into game 2, Affinity is that much worse off?
>>
>>47179734
I've kind of nerfed the big dogs. MBC, UR delver, MonoU, affinity have been made slightly less consistent, slightly more situational, which has elevated my Spicy Brews. I've also tried to ensure that sideboard cards are more broad rather than silver bullets.
I'm also considering removing or adding decks to more balance the control/aggro/combo because I think I've got 6 'control decks and only really two combo decks. Am considering putting in Esper Familiar, though Cloud is banned because it's a cool deck and will give me another combo deck. I also don't think Esper Familiar was the problem so much as Cloud of Faeries absurd value in a bunch of decks because Familiar is hard to play and gets weird.
I definitely overcompensated against some decks in my first iterations of the sideboards and some decks have absurd play against affinity and burn at the moment.
>>
Let's break 100 posts!
>>
>>47182476

95th for memes
>>
Anyone else on the spiciest meme of the year Pauper Jund?
>>
Number of times I've played burn
>4647
Number of wins
>0

Why do I play this fucking deck.
>>
>>47149284

I would think it would make just as much as any other format. Just toss a $5 entry fee up and offer booster prizes. They like the game. I'm sure they would use the boosters as an opportunity to build up a collection and maybe break into bigger formats.
>>
>>47157920
This guy here.

Went fucking nuts and bought the deck on MTGO yesterday, sans Pyroblast. The whole thing cost $40 plus the $10 registration fee. I played a bunch of just-for-fun games.

The deck straight up folds to Souls Sisters, which blows. Electrickery is an absolute blowout, as expected.

I managed to get a few t3 wins off of do-nothing decks, but I imagine I'd get absolutely crushed in the dailies if I tried those. I'll test some more tonight.

It really feels like the deck needs more no-block effects and spot removal, maybe Gut Shot or Dual Shot. I'm consider throwing Pillar of Flame into the maindeck against "dies" effects, though if they have a sac-engine even that doesn't work.

Life is tough.
>>
>>47183150
>The whole thing cost $40
I'd add that the vast majority of the price is in Lotus Petal and Gitaxian Probe, which both go for over $10 a playset. The rest is absurdly cheap.

I can't believe some of the card prices on MTGO. Daze is fucking $17 (literally more than Force of Will). What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>47183163

MTGO gets some exclusive reprints, and there are some formats with a slightly different meta due to the way the timer works along with popularity.

MTGO doesn't have draws. If the timer runs out on you, you lose.
>>
Anybody in the thread want to practice on MTGO?

Add me:Yixlid
>>
>>47183163
There are more FoW in circulation and Daze is played in two active formats on MTGO. Hence the price difference.
>>
File: Image (9).jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (9).jpg
32 KB, 223x310
I'm a right idiot, I was looking for ideal cards for Control style, that net you literal card advantage, and in Pauper they don't normally let you draw three cards just like that. Turns out Deep Analysis is a freaking Dragonlord's Prerogative.
>>
File: 153.jpg (59 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
153.jpg
59 KB, 312x445
Further testing reveals that Red Metal crushes decks that don't make relevant plays in the first 3 turns.

Soul Sisters is still a horrible matchup. I'm curious to do testing with Dual Shot to see if it's worth running over Hearth Charm (the destroy artifact creature mode is just so good to have g1 against Affinity and Cyborg (that white affinity variant)). It might not be worth harming the other matchups to maybe get a slightly higher percentage against a bad matchup.

Electrickery continues to be a blowout. Why on earth is it an instant?
>>
>>47187336
>decks that don't make relevant plays in the first 3 turns
bad decks?
>>
>>47186341
>Deep Analysis is a freaking Dragonlord's Prerogative
Costs life and is Sorcery speed, but that's good enough in Pauper tbf
>>
>>47187769
Deep Anal has always been playable in some form somewhere since it was printed.
>>
>>47187746
Pretty much.
>>
>>47161974
The game is called "magic" for a reason

Most UB lists run no creatures at all
>>
>>47192703
I've yet to see a UB deck that didn't run anglers (since it was released of course)
>>
>>47193075
I might have exaggerated a little by saying "most" but some UB Teachings lists (not delver angler) are moving anglers to sideboard in order to blank removal in G1 and then side them back in G2 when your opponents take out all of the removal. They seem to do pretty well in mtgo tourneys too.

It's an interesting idea and I really enjoy the playstyle of creatureless control but as soon as most people catch on the deck will have to to either move to 100% creatureless (which leaves you dead to some matchups), or put the anglers back in mainboard.
>>
So do you guys think Thraben Inspector is a better fit in Kuldotha decks over Mulldrifter? Feels like a tough call to me. Could even become meta-dependant.
>>
>>47193298
What wincon do they maindeck?
>>
>>47194638
I ask as a UB teachings player. I've never heard of taking Angler out of the mainboard, and even run a few mulldrifters and sea gate oracles to keep the deck smooth and eat edicts.
>>
>>47187769
Deep Analysis has been played in Vintage. The card is good.

That said
>>47186341
I'm not a big fan of Deep Anal in Pauper control lists, the best of which is probably Teachings. The thing is that these are permission style control decks, and spending four mana in your main phase is usually not very attractive until the very very late game where those decks are already heavily advantaged, and spending 3 life to use the flashback is usually not very attractive against aggressive decks, especially if they have already managed to put pressure on your lifetotal.

For much the same reason I also don't like Mulldrifter in control decks. Not only do you not want to spend mana on your own turn but you also don't want to enable your opponent's removal spells.
>>
>>47194638
Evincar's Justice + Pristine Talisman (don't really like it myself but it seems to work alright) and Curse of the Bloody Tome
>>
>>47193482
I dont think theyre close enough to be compared. The flying and 3cmc draw 2 are too good unless you need the artifact for affinity
>>
http://deckstats.net/deck-10036269-5ad9548b4501d64e91944ba7224677a7.html

Been playing this beauty on paper on and off for almost 2 years now. Works really well and I've got a ton of tournaments under my belt, of which 7 were 50+ people. I always make it to top 8, and the deck has a super fair (at least 50-50) matchup against anything that isn't Boggles, plus great sideboard options and plenty of room to tweak it for your own meta. I eat Delver, MBC, Burn, Kiln Fiend, Teachings, Cuckdotha Jeskai and Tron for breakfast, while Affinity, Stompy, Slivers, WW Tokens Goblins and Elves can be a bit uphill sometimes, but definitely winnable.
>>
>>47197138
Is Gideon's reproach really doing anything? I'll test the deck. Love me some Trinket Mage.
>>
>>47197267
It flat out destroys all of Pauper's creatures except Eldrazis, Angler and Fangren Marauder. However if your format is super fast with Stompy, Goblins, and overall things with 3 or less toughness a swap for Sunlance can be made.

When playing just keep in mind to trade 1 for 1 as aggressively as possible, don't sandbag anything except perhaps 1 counterspell or journey to nowhere if you expect a game changing spell like Gary, Angler, Marauder or Rolling Thunder. You'll eventually drown the opponent in card advantage.
>>
>>47197138
>>47197424
Is Brainstorm good enough with the only shuffle effect being Squadron Hawk?

Also is the Radiant Fountain really necessary? What about Kabira Crossroards?
>>
What do you people think about Ostracize in Teachings?

I'm playing Freed from the Real combo and I've been doing okay, most losses are due to timing out or making mistakes. I can usually grind out wins against control because of Gigadrowse. Aggro decks are tougher and I often lose game 1, but moment's peace give me some game there. The combo pieces are so easy to compile. Suggestions?

4 Freed from the Real
3 Lifespark Spellbomb
1 Wind Zendikon
4 Fertile Ground
1 Sheltered Aerie
3 Axebane Guardian
1 Viridian Longbow
1 Valakut Invoker
4 Drift of Phantasms
4 Trinket Mage
3 Gigadrowse
2 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Shield Sphere
3 Forest
1 Halimar Depths
4 Island
4 Thornwood Falls
1 Tree of Tales
3 Voyaging Satyr
4 Ponder
4 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Orochi Leafcaller
2 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Vessel of Nascency

2 Dispel
3 Moment's Peace
1 Tangle
1 Vessel of Nascency
1 Gigadrowse
1 Golden Urn
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Negate
1 Echoing Truth
2 Hydroblast
>>
>>47197434
There are also 4 Evolving Wilds and the Trinket Mages. It's as close as Legacy as it can gets.

Lifegains are necessary, and they're Radiant Fountains instead of Crossroads because we already have more than enough white sources, with the difference that Fountain comes in untapped for a turn 2 Prohibit, Reproach or AK. We already have 8 lands that come into play tapped, and adding more is slowing the deck enough that the Aggro matchups go from slightly uphill to straight unfavorable.
>>
>>47197138
Looks pretty sweet my dude.
Have you experimented with spellbombs? Aether spellbomb could come in handy I bet. Or any of the eggs?
I'd try and squeeze in a bounceland because bouncing a radiant fountain can stabilize a game in a pinch but I wouldn't run more than two, and maybe even just one.
>>
>>47197548
All spellbomb in our colors suck from what I've tested. You get nothing bouncing a creature with Spellbomb that you wouldn't get straight out killing it, except perhaps re-triggering one of your own ETBs, but that's not what the deck's about. Origin is the best of the bunch and it's still weak because it's just a cantripping 1/1 for 2W, where Flayer Husk is a much better card if you want the fetcheable body. The only "egg" I've been thinking about is the new Explosive Apparatus as fetchable removal, but even then it's 4 mana for 2 points of damage that can't even kill Guardian of the Guildpact (where being colorless matters)

The one bounceland thing is doable as it also has synergy with Cenn's Enlistment, giving you a land for it while maintaining your mana on board neutral but I'd add it as a 23rd land and at that point I don't know what to cut as it's so crammed. Perhaps 1 AK and swap the other 3 for Artificer's Epiphany, but that means increasing the artifact lands and paying more mana for your cards.
>>
>>47195891
I see.

I'll stick with my anglers.
>>
>>47182886
Burn is so bad, I don't understand how it does so well in leagues.
>>
>>47197845
No clue. I've run every list that makes 5-0. I assume I'm sideboarding wrong.
Should I put 2 Shard Volley somewhere in here? I get fucking murdered vs every viable deck constantly. UB, Delver, Mill, Goblins, Uzra land shit, any type of life gain (all over the place in the meta).

Fuck.
Main
4 Chain Lightning
4 Curse of the Pierced Heart
4 Fireblast
4 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Incinerate
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
18 Mountain
4 Needle Drop
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze

Sideboard
4 Electrickery
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Molten Rain
4 Smash to Smithereens
>>
>>47197889
Nigger it's not that difficult to simply spam all 1 CMC 3 damage red spells ever, literally the only thing stopping you are lifegain manabases G1 and circles of protection G2 and 3.
>>
>>47197889
Maybe you're playing it wrong, play the curses early, keep the bolts. I've played a list with Shard Volley and I recommend playing 1 or 2. Personally I would cut back on the fireslingers because they usually just get removed before dealing more than 1 damage (there's so much removal in pauper), play Flame Rift and Incinerate over Fireslinger.
>>
Went a couple rounds against mono U delver and won pretty consistently. It seems like a good t1/t2 is key, then there's a fairly long lull in the game while you try to build up land to avoid mana leak. Between the Hearth Charms and Reckless Abandons, Spire Golems always die, and the Delver flips and Gitaxian Probes give you information about their game plan. If they don't play cautiously they get blown out by Dual Shot post board, but it's a real waiting game. If you don't draw your land I think it's a pretty poor matchup, but if you're careful the deck can definitely beat them.

The matchup is another reason to maybe run a second Skirk Prospector main board or in the side. I'll post the current list in a while.
>>
>>47198368
plannin to get >4x Pyroblast and >4x Red Elemental Blast cuz U delver is the only real deck you struggle against
also MBC but there you need only to drop 2 creatures and they cant kill both in time usually
anyone knows some good stuff to put in side to prevent MBC fucking up the board too early?
>>
>>47199286
Reminder that REB isn't MTGO pauper legal.
>>
>>47199286
Also, it would seem most Pestilence players are essentially short bus bench warmers. I've had multiple players cast a t3 Crypt rats just to get it bolted before they can clear my board. They're pretty much fucked either way, since if they wait until t4 they're usually within burn range.

Again, Skirk Prospector is sick, allowing you to sac whatever goblin they target with their t4 tendrils, fizzling their life gain. They usually ragequit. That's what you get for being a Durdles McGee.
>>
>>47199541
i mean, is there some accessible counterplay for blue/red to chainer's edict?
mana leaks?
>>
>>47149909
This "Pauper Makes No Money" really seems like a meme to me, considering it's pretty much the only constructed format you can actually feasibly play buy playing Limited or buying boosters.
>>
>>47197138
Preach it brother! I'm trying a brew with Executioner's Capsule and Chainer's Edict so I can stick Evincar's Justice in the sideboard. Also a copy of Mortuary Mire so I can Evoke Mulldrifters. Feels a little janky atm though, like the pure UW version better.
>>
>>47199783
For Izzet Blitz? No idea. Red Metal gives no fucks as generating redundant creatures is my entire gameplan.

You would need either:
-Instant speed token generation
-Counterspell that exiles it (unless you don't care about flashback)
-Cheap creature setup which synergizes with the deck

Here are some options, though as you can see, none of them are very good, save perhaps Disrupt.

Another option would be to run Dragon Fodder or Krenko's Command.
>>
>>47197138
>under $10 on MTGO
That deck is so cheap I might have to switch it up and try it. Great list.
>>
>>47200619
these seems good options
thx
>>
UW tron reporting in.
>>
Are there good mono-black decks?

I'm thinking something with Gary, but beside that, i'm not really used to the format.
>>
>>47201257
MONO

BLACK

CONTROL
>>
>>47201179
They're not very good, honestly m8.
>>
>>47201257
>Are there good mono-black decks?
Uh yeah, mono black control is always a tier 1 deck
>>
>>47199869
>making a pauper deck out of boosters wizards still sells

If you want it to be shit, but then you could make a shit standard deck and it'd probably be better.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (172 KB, 785x826) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
172 KB, 785x826
Here's the list right now. Wen't down a copy of Hearth Charm for another Mountain- too many no land mulligans for my taste. Lotus Petals and Probes are well worth the money.
>>
File: PauperMerchantControl 001.jpg (817 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
PauperMerchantControl 001.jpg
817 KB, 2304x1728
>>47201257
It's pretty fun.
>>
>>47203528
Is it really, though?
>>
File: PauperMBC 001 (Large).jpg (733 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
PauperMBC 001 (Large).jpg
733 KB, 2304x1728
>>47203574
Out of the 3 monoblack lists i've ran, it's been the most enjoyable.
>>
Played against that Grixis Ghostly Flicker deck- the combo seems sick, but SOOO slow.
>>
I'm going to buy a few boosters of eithe Battle for Zendikar or Gatewatch to help make my SoI draft deck a little better. Which set is generally considered better?
>>
Where does MTGGoldfish get their percentages for their Pauper meta page?

>Burn: 3.81% of meta
It seems utterly false. I've faced at least 2 burn decks in the past 3 or 4 leagues I've done. It gets old.
>>
>>47207025
As a burn player, I've faced one burn deck in a week. The rest have been UW or Delver. Maybe 1 out of 20 matches or so.
>>
File: DSC_1692.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1692.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
It's coming together lads
>>
Question: I want to get into pauper EDH and I wanted to know what are the restrictions online? I have looked it up and I get conflicting answers.
>>
>>47172303
I think he meant the box the sleeves came in? Maybe?
>>
Is Affinity fucked too hard by Gorilla Shaman or is it still worth playing?
>>
>>47212629
Gorilla Shaman should be banned desu. The only reason affinity is still playable is because Gorilla Shaman costs a Gorillian tickets.
>>
File: pic.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
R8 my version of a deck I found on mtggoldfish, m8s.
>>
File: pic2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pic2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>47212865
Here's my Delver Fiend deck. Pretty fun, desu.
>>
>>47212865
Rites decks are fragile.
>>
>>47212895
too many gushes
you need 4x nivix cyclop
temur 4x
counterspell 1x is worthless
4x apostles blessing
throw away fetches and brainstorms, you shouldnt lose time this way
bolt either 4x or 0x, thats the rule in every format
>>
>>47213896
>too many gushes
3 is literally fine.
>you need 4x nivix cyclops
>temur 4x
Not necessary with that many cantrips.
>4x apostles blessing
Prefer counterspells as there are lot of edicts in the meta.
>throw away fetches and brainstorms, you shouldnt lose time this way
ETB-tapped land or fetches are necessary for fixing. And Brainstorm is incredible in the deck. You have enough shuffle effects.
>bolt either 4x or 0x, thats the rule in every format
Silly, desu. I realize that each bolt makes the others better, but it's not good enough to warrant 4 spots.
>>
>>47213896
>>47213948
Also, the Counterspell and the Pierce is there because Daze is too expensive online.
>>
>>47213240
>rites deck

It's more of a value creatures/keep watch deck. It's not fragile, really.
>>
>>47212865
4 untapped Nettle Sentinels, 1 land and a Sprout Swarm generates infinite 1/1s. Not likely to ever happen, though.
>>
>>47202017
You can get boosters for pretty much any set online.
You aren't wrong, though. What would be more accurate is: You are a lot more likely to gain anything of Pauper value from a booster you crack for fun, than for any other format.

The simple solution for WotC to monetize Pauper would be to print playable commons again.
>>
>>47214529
Yeah but that doesn't make WotC or your FLGS any money and that was the point. Few stores want to run pauper because they don't make much money off singles for supporting it.
>>
>>47194662
When I started playing Teachings I copied a list that ran Anglers in the main and Mulldrifters and some other value creatures in the side because it looked more solid than the creatureless lists that were around.

It took only a couple of days of playtesting to realize that the creatures served no purpose at all. Evincar's Justice won me far more games than Anglers, which normally only enabled the opponent's removal spells.

So I moved my Anglers to the sideboard, and replaced the rest of the creatures there with Curse of the Bloody Tome which I soon found to be a card I much much much rather sideboarded in than Angler in almost every matchup, so eventually I removed all Anglers altogether, began running two Curses in the main as my main wincon with one Justice to serve mainly as a boardwipe and another in the sideboard for matchups where Curse is too unreliable as a wincon.

tl;dr: Don't play creatures in Teachings, kids. They're bad.
>>
>>47215027
I don't feel that way at all. In most of the aggro match ups anglers stop the opponent from swinging in, plus they survive double evincar late game. I'm also not worried if my opponent who is usually playing a deck that wants to be faster than me takes a turn to throw a removal spell at my 1-3 mana angler, I've usually come out ahead in terms of mana and they aren't my primary wincon anyway.

And i love mulldrifters and sea gate oracles and nothing will ever get me to take them out.
>>
>>47207025
Burn seems awful, too. Boring and awful.
>>
>>47212771
Seriously. Dude costs more than Daze. Reprint in Eternal Masters?
>>
I'm about to mass order all the cards for this pauper deck. I did a few play tests and love how it runs, any suggestions on what to change about it before I order? P.S. No sideboard.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-pauper-naya-beat-you-down/
>>
>>47215654
I'll be honest, Druid of the anima looks bad to me at 2cmc. I might suggest Avacyn's Pilgrim, which doesn't make red but costs G, or something like Orcish Lumberjack, who can be combotastic
>>
>>47215654
Is Kird Ape legal in your store?
>>
>>47215874
Yes.
>>
>>47215773
What else do you suggest besides the pilgrim?
>>
For paper Pauper EDH, what are the rules for a commander? Do they have to be an uncommon legendary or what?
>>
>>47215975
Any Uncommon creature as far as I know.
>>
>>47216288
Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 223x310
Post your pauper /cardfu/
>>
File: pauperdomain.jpg (2 MB, 3456x1946) Image search: [Google]
pauperdomain.jpg
2 MB, 3456x1946
Local bar is going to be holding an alternating Sunday tournament between pauper and Drink and Draft. Pauper side is a dollar entry, the first prize is going to be an order of wings. Ill be running pauper domain once I get my unearths in. Sorry for the glare, window in front of my desk.
>>
>>47215654
Seems like utter shit. Build an enchantment deck.
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>47218013
Literally started playing pauper to play him. Has there ever been a more perfect card?
>>
it makes me happy seeing how theres nearly 200 replies in a pauper thread, i only have one deck, and no one in my lgs plays pauper, but it still makes me happy, heres your bump anon
>>
File: PauperBNP 001.jpg (768 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
PauperBNP 001.jpg
768 KB, 2304x1728
豚用の機械
>>
>>47219566
I feel like given the recent spats on Constructed, there's gonna be an influx of Pauper players. Given Eldrazi Winter, the Current Standard, and the debacle with Eternal Masters and the previous two Modern Masters, it'll be unsurprising to see many players disillusioned with Wizard's attitudes to non-Limited formats, as well as the ugliness of the secondary market. I certainly had that epiphany, hence why I'm playing Pauper right now.
>>
>>47219708
i love pauper, but everyone at my lgs is either modern or edh, my playgroup and i play edh but no one wants to try pauper cause 90% of my lgs is "i like winning with big cards/big spells/go big or go home" same reason why tiny meme didnt take off at my lgs
>>
>>47219703
Needs some Bequeathal
>>
What are some other good big things with delve that are useful?
>>
>>47220454
http://magiccards.info/query?q=r%3Acommon+o%3Adelve&v=card&s=cname
>>
>>47220454
Gurmag Angler
Hooting Mandrills
Sultai Scavenger

Maybe Logic Knot.
>>
>>47220454
Delve works best against mill decks.i remember once I got milled down to 4 cards in my library and was able to cast "Empty the Pits" for 20 zombies.
>>
>>47220610
>mill decks
So, bad decks?
>>
File: DSC_1694.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1694.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
GUYS INSPIRING CAPTAIN IS SUCH A GOOD PLAY WITH RAMOSIAN RALLY
>>
>>47218445
Ayy, nice deck brah. I always have a soft spot for Wild Natacl + Tribal Flames: the Deck. I actually tried to adapt this deck for my fiancee when I was getting her int Magic.
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.