[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What tabletop rpg would you use to run a cowboy bebop game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: cowboy_bebop.jpg (356 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
cowboy_bebop.jpg
356 KB, 1024x768
What tabletop rpg would you use to run a cowboy bebop game?

>inb4 GURPS
>>
>>47146302
PbtA is always the answer.
>>
D&d 1st edition
>>
>>47146302
Funnily enough, shadowrun turns into like 95% bebop whenever I play it.

Especially the beef and brocolli, but with no beef because YOU FLUBBED THE JOB YOU ASSHOLE part.
>>
>>47146302
Traveller
>>
>>47146317
My problem with PbtA is that characters seem to succeed to easily and there are no difficulty levels.

I would say EotE with a reskin but that could take some work to iron out all of the Star Wars.
>>
File: Bounty Head Bebop.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Bounty Head Bebop.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47146302
Bountyhead Bebop or Cyberpunk2020.
>>
>>47146363
Mechanically, true. There's really nothing stopping a character from killing a dragon in 1 shot. The GM needs to create the difficulty with the fiction. 7-9 moves are so badly utilized by new GMs. The Korean movie A Hard Day (2014) is the perfect exemple of a PbtA character who keeps on rolling 7-9 on every moves. You should watch it.
>>
>>47146327
This. My last shadowrun game ended up being an ex lonestar detective and an ex triad hit man on a modified fishing vessile with a stripper/mage with a gambling problem. No kid, though.

That said, I like savage worlds for the fast combat play.
>>
>>47146877
Did this happen naturally, or was it planned?
Please tell me it was natural.
>>
>>47146604
I actually think you could make difficulty levels.

Easy:
8+ complete success
5-7 is a partial success

Normal:
10+ is a complete success
7-9 is a partial success

Hard:
12+ is a complete success
9-11 is a partial success

It's not perfect but it could work out I suppose
>>
>>47146302
Why the hell
>inb4 GURPS
,then GURPS is pretty much ideal for it?
>>
>>47146328
Came here to say this.
It's fantastic.
>>
>>47147362
too realistic and not narrative enough I'd say.
>>
I somehow did it with nWoD.
Although technically it was a setting crossover, it was the greatest campaign with that system I've ever done
>>
>>47146302
ORE

if you don't mind doing the groundwork
>>
>>47147385
Actually, I could see WoD working quite well for this.
>>
>>47147372
Then take Fate.
>>
>>47147434
It did. nWoD actually has a space supplement that works surprisingly well for building Bebop-style ships with some refluffing.
The players started out with the equivalent of a VW van with an autocannon bolted on and eventually had a minicruiser.

There's also weird space gates in there that have a one in ten chance of fucking things up that I adapted for hyperspace gates: they had a 5% chance of going weird instead, although since this was a crossover you could just dump that idea entirely.
>>
>>47147485
What rulebooks exactly did you use? I've never used WoD and would like to try it out.
>>
>>47146302
Traveler you faggot.
>>
>>47147485
>nWoD actually has a space supplement
It does?
>>
>>47146328
Traveller is fucking amazing.
>>
>>47146302
Probably the game it's based on along with Firefly, Traveller.
>>
>>47148017
All of them, but mostly core, Armory, Armory Reloaded, Mirrors (because the core's Morality rules won't cut it when you have a guy you can't bring in alive) and Infinite Macabre

>>47148058
Yeah, Mirrors: Infinite Macabre

>travellerfags
I own the old corebook, I've never even played it because the rules are shit
>>
>>47148532
>the old corebook
Which one? The Traveller Book?

The worst part of T1 is how hard it is to improve your character beyond what you start as.
>>
>>47148542
Mongoose Traveller 1e. I hated it, I hated character creation, I hated how to be good at anything from the beginning you had to be at least middle-aged, I hated how clunky it all was (don't care what anyone says, how skills were ranked is counterintuitive as fuck).

If I wanted to do a generic space opera these days I'd bust out Savage Worlds and its sci-fi supplement. I just did nWoD because at the time it was a favourite of mine and the fact Bebop uses mostly modern-day weaponry and quite grounded science makes it and the game's standard setting mesh surprisingly well.
>>
>>47146302
Savage Worlds.
>>
>>47148566
>to be good at anything from the beginning you had to be at least middle-aged,
That's the point. MongTrav is a kind of a clone of CTrav, from 1977. If you look at 70s SF, you don't see much in the way of kid heroes, all the skilled effective heroes are in their 30s and 40s.
>>
>>47148594
>who is Luke Skywalker
>who is Han Solo
>who is Ellen Ripley
>>
>>47148532
Classic Trav is GOAT. Fuck you
>>
>>47148605
You know all those characters post-date Traveller 1e, right (Star Wars may have been released slightly before, but it certainly post-dates most of the development cycle)?

Traveller is more Pournelle and Niven than Lucas.
>>
>>47148658
Aww, I'm sorry I don't like what you like. Why don't you go roll on some 2d6 tables, that might make you feel better
>>
>>47148605
>Science Fantasy, also the son of Jesus/Prophecised One
>Science Fantasy also 29 and possibly older due to time dilation
>Ripley is 30 in Alien
>>
>>47148669
I think I will fag.
>>
>>47148663
Just saying, you can't generalise 70s SF like that.
Plus it doesn't really help with a system that'd support a character like, say, Spike, who's a hotshot pilot with decent combat skills in his late twenties.

>>47148705
You sure? I thought she was late 20s, 30 at most.
>>
>>47148729
She dies aged 30, according to Wikipedia.

>two films
>somehow a defining trend in SF of the decade
Remember that Star Wars massively changed trends in SF when it was released.
>>
>>47148729
Ripley was born JAN 2092 and the Nostromo incident occured in JUN 2122
>>
>>47148764
>>47148766
Sweet, I didn't know this.
Again though, it's not helping with OP trying to find a system that'd work for Bebop.
>>
>>47146560
Has anybody actually played this? I'd never heard of it, but it's clearly ripping off the right source material.
>>
>>47148774
You could use Traveller if you shortened the service terms. The default is 4 years, but it'd be pretty easy to shorten that to 2. Only problem might come from the mustering out table, and the rewards you get being out of proportion to the time you've served.
>>
>>47148793
Own a print copy, never ran it.
Used to hang around on the game forums a little, no idea if they're still going.
>>
>>47147324
Isn't that just Apocalypse engine with modifiers to rolls applied?
>>
>>47147362
Replying with GURPS is the Boku no Pico of /tg/, except it might take a bit longer before you realize that it's clearly not what you wanted and its of considerably terrible quality.
>>
>>47146328
Was going to post this, thanks
>>
>>47149649
Replying with GURPS is fine as long as you mention what books to use, which nobody ever fucking does for some reason.
>>
>>47146363
What's EotE? Need a system for starwars with a bountyhunter-like class.
>>
Traveller. End thread, unless you're keen to do a conversion of whatever your favorite system is, for whichever reason.
>>
>>47147362
Every thread I say the same thing: GURPS is always an answer; it is almost never _the_ answer.

You can use it's rules to model anything... but the model will not be elegant. Universal rules will never be as clean or resonant as custom rules. The Shaolin never had to worry about guns. Godzilla will never need to worry about grunts on the field, or even damaged by them enough to be worth tracking. Doctor Strange vs. cowboys will be an unsatisfying game for Doctor Strange, the cowboys, or both.

The best course of action in any RPG, the true universal rule set:
1) if it's not going to end up making a difference, don't have rules you need to track for it.
2) If there's any doubt, GM will call for a roll. Otherwise expect a ruling like "sure, why not", or "that's retarded and let me show how bad that turned out for your PC...."
3) If it's not going to come up more than zero-or-one time, don't have rules for it. That's what the GM is for.
>>
>>47151927

Edge of the Empire I guess?
>>
>>47148774
You don't follow the reg 'randomly generated' rules when your re-creating a character that already exists.
>>
>>47152098

Not him, but I also dislike how people who said GURPS, never said why is fit, other than why "it can do anything"
>>
>>47152113
That's the reason, because it technically could run it. It wouldn't be fun or capture the spirit of the source material, however. It never does.
>>
>>47146302
Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales
>>
File: bebop.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bebop.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I'd say this. But then again I like the older White Wolf system.

I have a couple more PDF on this that I'll post. But I'm missing a rulebook where it tell me what the heck your Cowboy and Bebop ratings are for.
>>
File: merit-flaws.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
merit-flaws.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47156381
>>
File: ships.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ships.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47156381
>>
File: bebop-univ.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bebop-univ.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47156381
And information on the Universe.

I'm hoping that someone here may have the "Core Rule book" for this. I got these from a WoD pdf collection which included several fan-made works based on the system, like this. So I have no idea where to even begin looking. I tried googling, but googlefu is weak.
>>
>>47156381
>>47156398
>>47156457
>>47156491

It's a shame you're missing that last pdf. It probably would have convinced me to finally learn how to play White Wolf games.
>>
>>47154292
Exactly. That's why people dislike it. It only works when you're making a more realistic game with a bit of a generic tone. Then GURPS is the go to.

The fact that it doesn't capture the fun or spirit of the source material is probably the reason OP doesn't want to run it. The fun and spirit of Cowboy Bebop are what drives the show. That's why always recommending GURPS is a meme most of the time.
>>
>>47158577
I also wish I had it. I hope some kind and resourceful Anon out there sees this and delivers for us!
>>
D20 modern with d20 future supplement book.

But dont use d20 future space combat.
Use this variant.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?180050-d20-Future-Starship-Combat-that-doesn-t-make-me-cry-myself-to-sleep
>>
>>47159475
I'd consider this but I've only ever heard bad things about D20 modern. Is it actually good?
>>
I still feel like a shadowrun game where everyone, especially spike, has loads of edge and cars were replaced with space jets would hit the nail right on the head.
>>
File: 166518.jpg (811 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
166518.jpg
811 KB, 900x1350
>>47146302
Bulldogs! Sci-fi that kicks ass
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.