[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: GURPS OP1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
GURPS - Alternate dice edition

What do you think about playing GURPS with different dice? Like a d20 instead of 3d6, or d4+d6+d8 or Pyramid's Nontransitive Dice ideas?
>>
3d6 is the best part about GURPS, so...
>>
File: 1.png (757 KB, 1677x1075) Image search: [Google]
1.png
757 KB, 1677x1075
>>
File: Bellcurve.png (2 KB, 400x230) Image search: [Google]
Bellcurve.png
2 KB, 400x230
>>47133501
>What do you think about playing GURPS with different dice?
Anathema to the core mechanical design; The entire purpose of the 3d6 roll under is to use the bell curve to its predictable outcomes.
It's like asking to play baseball with a pineapple. You theoretically could, but what would you gain from it?
>>
>>47133501
I see no reason to use memedie over bell curve. d4+d6+d8 gives practically the same distribution as 3d6, so why even bother?
>>
>>47133595
I am afraid to read it, there is definitely some dark magic involved in those weird dice
>>
>>47133700
black magics indeed
Statisticians
>>
>>47133501
It's possible, but I don't know that I necessarily like that idea.

What're you guys running?
>>
GANDALF
GRIMWYRD IS RUNNING
GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE
>>
>>47133501
>>47133595
Making it so mooks are a bit more likely to fail and never critically succeed, with the opposite for more important bad guys sound good. I don't think I'd let players have them though. Would be a pain to either program something for it or find the dice, though.
>>
>>47133501

I enjoy the system because of it's bell curve. As a result, d20 GURPS does not appeal to me.
>>
>>47133598
Pineapple salsa?
>>
I've been somewhat extrapolating and homebrewing a system of more diverse customization options for cinematic weapons.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/05/crafting-more-fundamental-property.html
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/05/crafting-modifying-damage-types.html
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/05/crafting-changing-enhancementslimitatio.html
Any critiques?
>>
does anyone have a copy of pyramide after the end?
>>
How would you price an Affliction that ONLY bestows Enhancements and/or Limitations?

For example: a weapon-mage could enchant any weapon to make it more effectively bite into armor solely by touching it.

In other words, he would have Affliction X (Armor Divisor [2], Extended Duration X).
>>
>>47135386
Sorcery does this with skills to advantages using imbuements, packing the cost of the imbuement at IQ level + the level of the Imbue (one skill) advantage required into one advantage.
>>
>>47134887
this guy
>>
File: 1276022298332.jpg (47 KB, 292x425) Image search: [Google]
1276022298332.jpg
47 KB, 292x425
>>47134189
right, so half of us couldnt/didnt show, then the rest had to bail due to stuff midgame.
UGH
Life is so annoying sometimes

At least they got a few rounds of combat in; they killed a dragon and took out a pair of evil mages! Now they just need to deal with the fallout of magical artifacts and such >:)

[Also, let it be known; 4d6+1 of musket into the skull of a dragon is an awesome way for your session to go tits up]
>>
>>47136456
True story,
Once a GM that I was playing with gave us a bunch of dynamite to blow up a fortress overrun by monsters... I couldn't tell if she was luring us into a trap or not, but the army sent a bunch of teams to blow up same fortress, but we were the only ones who made it to the site, we interviewed a captured intelligent monster, and he said he had no idea what was going on and this fortress always belonged to them, so we went awol with a wagon of explosives, found a demon palace, and did several 10s of d explosive crushing damage to a king of demons.
>>
>>47136744
>Stargate 1888
>party is part of the Royal British Space Marines, sent through the gate
>Cartload of nitro glycerine and TNT
>the group gets embroiled in a civil resistance between natives and Gou'auld
>teleporter puts several tons of naquadah ore and explosives into a mothers hip
Luls were had
>>
I'm new to Gurps and wanted to run the cyberpunk module with it
The module is made for 3e I believe, so I'd most likely go with the 3e version of the base rules.

I've been hearing a lot about 4e improving on 3e in some major ways, would it be worth it to adjust the systems to work together? Would it be better to just house rule 3e to adopt 4e rules, or tweak cyberpunk to work with 4e?
>>
>>47134216

Would be simpler to just say they can't crit. They're mooks, so they aren't going to have amazing skill numbers anyway.

>>47137702

IIRC, an early issue of Pyramid updated most of the cyberpunk netrunning stuff. Ultratech, Biotech and other Pyramid issues deal with actual augmentations.

In general, 4e is backwards compatible with 3e - the changes are important, but mainly come up in character generation.
>>
>>47137702
It would be easier for you in the long run to do it in 4e. The few conversions to make are present in the -tech books. And things got better balanced in 4e as well. Better skill purchasing rules, better combat rules. Etc.
>>
bump
>>
File: PZM - 7 Śmiały.jpg (624 KB, 1920x1070) Image search: [Google]
PZM - 7 Śmiały.jpg
624 KB, 1920x1070
How would you stat a big ass rifle for a mech as in pic attached?
>>
>>47140609
Either use 3e Vehicles to build it from the ground up or use an already-made artillery cannon.
>>
File: Henryka Rzeszutko.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Henryka Rzeszutko.pdf
1 B, 486x500
What does everyone think about using Style! type skills as the core skills for a template, and incorporating non-combat skills that are core to the way the "class" functions?

Example. It'd include a bunch of techniques related to lockpicking and point-shooting.
>>
Is it just me, or does GURPS discourage protracted fistfights (which are a staple of even LIGHTLY cinematic fiction)?

You can go from zero to dead or zero to dying on sheer crushing damage alone pretty darn quickly.

I know of the "Flesh Wounds" optional rule, but it feels cheesy to make most if not all of those blows deal 1 damage apiece.
>>
>>47142174
Use The Last Gasp? People won't be able to swing so often, then.
>>
>>47142174
Not really. Most protracted fights are either between two masters that can consistently Parry and Dodge or more average dudes trading low-damage blows.

Punches deal thr-1 by default, making average damage 1d-2 (min. 0). Once combatants have enough ST and bonus damage from high skill to make unarmed combat instantly lethal, you're back in the realm of masters that should be able to defend consistently.
>>
File: 1454511872196.png (97 KB, 548x272) Image search: [Google]
1454511872196.png
97 KB, 548x272
>>47133595
I need a fucking drink
>>
>>47137987
>>47137871
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys

This is more of a general question

For 4e there are two core books, correct?
Characters and Campaign?
Would both be necessary/good to have (physically) during play?
It seems that the characters book is mostly creation, meaning it wouldn't be referenced often, except at the very beginning and when improving your character.
I'm broke as fuck and don't want to spend what I don't have to (but still would like to have a physical copy as it helps my group a ton)
>>
>>47143202
If it helps the group then buy it.
>>
>>47142450
Though you can also end up with an archetype I like, not very skilled but extremely strong characters.

If someone as strong as an ox is throwing punches at SL 12 the wise man shifts to defense and tries to wear him down or wait for an opening. Someone throwing punches that can hit for 7 average damage can end a fight fast, but a more skilled brawler is hard to tag with those devastating punches.

>>47142174
Remember that there's plenty of ways to get DR over the torso enough to force punches to aim around it and that an average punch deals a whole 2.5 damage. Someone with a motercycle jacket and HP 12 can last a long time fighting hand to hand.

If you want longer fistfights, up defenses and remember that people step back, evaluate and grapple rather then trying to land a power blow every time.
>>
>>47143202
If you have to pick one..

Campaigns covers the rules to play the game and having it to hand to reference can really help combat. You can get away with it on a tablet and a set of cheat sheets.

Characters is vital for building characters, but you don't have to reference it very often once the characters are built.
>>
Is there anywhere I could find a big dump of potential enemies/monsters/whatever?
>>
>>47144182
1. google It Came From the Forums (hundreds of entries)
2. google gurps wiki (hundreds of entries)
3. scattered throughout all DF line, very clunky; also Horror and 3E Bestiary
3.1 that being said, I fucking LOVE the slime/ooze book
4. there are also a lot of community settings spanning hundred+ pages, also with some monster writeups
>>
>>47144182
>>47144380
Oh, and since you didn't specify, I assumed the fantasy is what you are after. You'll have to poke more knowledgeable anons for post-apoc or whatever
>>
>>47144397
It's fantasy, yeah, though a little more modern. It Came from the Forums seems to be pretty good from the little bit I've looked at it so far. Thanks!
>>
>>47143991
Fun fact about GURPS basic combat, if you don't use accumulated damage for crippling wounds you can kill a man by punching his foot 20 times.
>>
>>47144944
Just like in real life
>>
>>47144380
Icky Goo is fucking fantastic. Some of the weird attacks/defences in there, like the psychedelic lights one for example, are just so much fun to throw at players.
>>
>>47144944

If you kick/Stamp Kick her feet, forget it...she'll be dead in a handful of seconds.
>>
File: 1402702309672.jpg (134 KB, 665x1000) Image search: [Google]
1402702309672.jpg
134 KB, 665x1000
I've had trouble with this before GURPS Gen, quick question.

What is your preferred difficulty? I'll throw out some examples.. My problem is that I've had complaints about games where I went for Hard, and ones where I went for Easy.

Easy. Characters are especially powerful, foes are average or strong ones are very outnumbered. This isn't a bad thing, it's fun to feel like a total badass sometimes.

Normal. Characters are strong and foes are average, or characters are average and foes are weak. They don't outnumber the characters. Good tactics and clever moments allow them to win big and look awesome, but even badly luck and mistakes rarely result in serious injury.

Hard. Characters are matched to their adversaries, about as strong and equal in numbers. Without good tactics, or if they have bad luck, the characters can get into trouble pretty fast.

Just fuck my shit up Senpi. I've only done this by request, the characters are average people fighting powerful foes and monsters. This pretty much requires you win the fight by ambush or at least with a really good plan.
>>
I was considering picking up Gurps 4e for some future campaign ideas, but the page count alone is looking like a turn off
~580 pages for the core books alone seems a little steep, but after looking at a PDF it seems like a lot of the Characters book is in depth descriptions of tables. I saw around three pages of explanations for the weapons table

Is this a fairly accurate representation of the books?
I don't mind skipping stuff like that and coming back to it if I need a reference (The tables don't seem overly complex really)
Was this just stretching material to justify a second core book?
>>
>>47147745
The list of skills, disadvantages, advantages and spells take a lot of space in the Characters books. Campaigns is mostly rules.

>Was this just stretching material to justify a second core book?
no
Be glad it's only two. 3e had Characters and Campaigns too, and then two Compendia and a bunch of rules over several different books.
>>
>>47147745
Those ~580 pages cover basically everything you need for multiple genres. You won't (most likely) use all of them in any single campaign. Remember, GURPS isn't a finished game like D&D or most other systems are. You aren't expected to use all of the rules.
>>
>>47147932
You don't need the rules for vacuum, radiation, wizards or rapier fencing if your game is searching for the source of the Nile in 1870
>>
>>47147745
Also, you could always start with GURPS Lite. It is only 32 pages.
>>
>>47147974
.. and now I know what my next campaign will be about
>>
>>47147745

It's not really padding it out - GURPS is a toolbox game. Not every GM needs every tool, but they all have a purpose. The writers don't expect or intend that ALL the rules will be used at any one time.

So basically, you just skip or skim anything you don't really need, and sometimes admire it hanging on your wall and find inspiration for future projects. There's less of an obligation for the GM to know absolutely everything - they just need to know what rules they're actually using in this particular campaign.

I think it's about equivalent to other games. Shadowrun 5e was about 500 pages - massive padding, but had a setting. The PHB and DMG were about 666 pages, and didn't have much of a setting.

There's also no tacit encouragement of dumpster diving to move splats - which means that any given GURPS game will probably use far fewer actual pages.
>>
>>47148332

...and I need to pay more attention to policing my hyphens - it's just too much - they should be used sparingly - unless it's a Candlejack threa-
>>
>>47147745

Remember that the G and U in GURPS stands for generic and universal. 580 pages covers laser guns, managing crew on a space ship, knapping flint spears, casting spells like a D&D wizard, psionics, asphyxiating in a vacuum, how interdimensional travel works, how to use indirect artillery fire, being a scientist, magical curses, inventing gadgets, driving cars, piloting spaceships, stats for animals and even a description of GURPS' default setting Infinite Worlds. In any given game you'll probably use at most 40-50% of what's in the Basic Set.
>>
Ok, so me and the group is trying some PvP based scenario.

We are 4 characters (and players).

1 is Beef McHuge (12 or so in axe skill, ST 20, HP 26, DX 10, HT 12 and BERSERK)

2 is a spearfighter (spear-16, and apparantly a focus on sweep, HP 11, HT 10 and lost of dodge and moving away planned.), very likely to manipulate Beef McHuge to fuck me up.

3 is a useless GMNPC I might have to end up allying- though the GM is inept in really making fighters kick ass- so I'm considering murdering the character cruelly. The knowledge that she wont back stab me is likely more worth than her combat abilities.

4 is my guy: Judo-19, HT 12, ST-10 and stealth skills.

How do I win this crap? (Its me from a couple of threads back who got dragged into some hunger games game.)
>>
File: Pyramid - 3-90 After the End.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid - 3-90 After the End.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47135330
>>
>>47147597
All comes down to campaign tone, but I guess my preferred level is Hard; most other systems my group is familiar with tends towards Easy with them mowing down mooks and such, so GURPS is my chance to run Gritty McGritface: Medieval Death Simulator. I did really enjoy running not!Anima though.

>>47148403
How cinematic is the campaign, and how good are your stealth skills? Dungeon Fantasy 2 has some rules on using Stealth mid-combat to basically slink away indefinitely; while you can use this to run away, It's probably better to sneak up on Slab Hardabs when he's alone and grapple from behind. 19 vs 20 isn't great, but IIRC an attack form behind gives a penalty to break-out attempts, so that can help. Alternatively, if you trust your skills enough, try and trigger his Berserk then slink away to watch the fireworks. All-Out Defense -> Judo Throw is good if you're cornered.

Fear the Sweep; prone is basically death. Compounded with Reach and an Impaling weapon type, I think the spear-wielder is a bigger threat than Rock Grizzlechest. If he doesn't have any major backup skills, try ambushing and taking away his spear or if possible crippling his arm/hand.

If you end up facing both simultaneously, your goal is to survive, not win. Throw and run/hide/both.

Someone to watch your back is indispensable. At the very least, having a second Per roll to spot ambushes can be a lifesaver. I wouldn't risk too much to save the GMPC if things go south, but I would refrain from sacrificing them right off the bat. Also, isn't this your girlfriend's first game? Might not be the best idea to torture her GMPC to death.

>tl;dr there's a reason ambushes are a common tactic: they fucking work. Fight strictly on your terms. Show them your mastery of gorilla warfare. Don't fall into the grimderp trap of unnecessary killing of allies and neutrals/potential allies.
>>
>>47149145

It's not my GF- It's one of the other lads. She has played with us for years so it shouldn't be that bad.

On stealth- it's stealth-15 with stealth 14 when at full move. Along with this Ive got camoflage-16.
Also Luck.
Concerning hit and run type shenanignas my character has running-11.

Also cant find it in dungeon fantasy 2, is it the back stab option at the start of a combat?
>>
>>47149262
Oh snap, its her first time really GMing. Sorry, wrote it wrong. Shes been a player for years.

I'm also thinking eye gouch from behind but what sucks is I've got Judo not Karate.
>>
Fun fact
If you throw an area effect attack at the party, they will likely dive and dodge out of the way.
If they do, they are prone, and will take 1+ turns to get up to combat readiness.
During those turns, your enemies are not prone. The party is a bigger target.

Fear not the dragonfire. Fear the prone mauling of an angry dragon afterward
>>
>>47149522
>they will likely dive and dodge out of the way
Only valid defense against that kind of attack is a dodge+dive to remove yourself from the affected hexes, so yes. Your logic is sound.

Be a dick: put a lancers rider on the dragon to do followup shanks to the exposed backs of fallen foes!
>>
>>47149262
My bad, it's not in DF2. It is in Action 2 and MH2 instead (and probably AtE2 as well); it's the same as Backstabbing but with -10 rather than -5 and no modifiers for ambush as the battle is already in full swing. At Stealth-14/15, I don't think this is the best option, though.

Running is only really relevant once "combat time" has ended. See if you can get your GM to use Chase rules (also from Action 2), which may make your Running and Stealth more relevant. Actually, seeing as how the current plan is hit-and-run tactics, operating entirely via Chases might be in your best interest. Spear man may still give you a run for run for your money (hue hue hue), but it's better him than him AND Butch Deadlift.

Camouflage will help you both set up and avoid ambushes, but once combat's started you're SoL.

Eye Gouging, as per p. MA71, defaults to Judo-5, making it a reasonable option, especially if you can Telegraphic Attack against a target with no defenses (e.g. Blast Hardcheese when berserk), though doing only 1d-5 to each eye means you're be vulnerable for potentially quite a bit while you wait to roll max damage.
>>
>>47149776
>>47149262
>>47149145
Wait, shit. With the default grappling rules, breaking free is a straight quick contest of ST; even with the +5 for being the aggressor, you're not going to win. ABORT ABORT.

No chance you guys are using Technical Grappling, are you?
>>
>>47149792

no. We've never rolled with it.
My current idea is to attack his hands to wreck him and fuck his ability to attack up.
>>
If you roll to resist an affliction with a penalty that leaves your effective HT below 3 (e.g. someone with HT 10 rolling against HT-8), do you still get a roll that succeeds on 3 or 4, or do you just auto-fail?
>>
>>47149993
With his massive strength, grappling would be a bit of a no go.

However, with an axe skill of 12, you should have little difficulty hitting him, as he also sounds like he doesn't have much of a dodge.

Go for the eyes, hands (or fingers) and you should be able to cripple him.

Trigger his beserk, and you have won, as he won't be able to defend. Beserk is suicidal!

The spear dude as others have metioned is the real threat.

With a high dodge skill you will have a bitch of a time trying to hit him, and he has rach on you, can use wait actions to stay out your reach, and retreat to get passed your dodge.

How high is his dodge, if is is 12, you are seriously fucked, if 10 you will still have difficulties as he will be able to retreat to being it up to 15.

With his superior reach you will be chasing him.

Only thing I can suggest is to disarm his spear with the judo, you have a better skill so should have a better chance of disarming him, grabbing it will be a pain though as he may try and dodge out the way.

You could take a wait action, he attacks and you defend, trigger your wait to grab it, he spends his retreat action and then on your turn you grab again, he has spent his retreat so less likely to dodge, stick on some deceptive attack to make sure you hit otherwise just go crit fishing.

Go for the weapon first and his reach wont be an issue.

Luckily, with your judo you will also be ridiculously hard to hit (but dont trade blows, otherwise it will be who gets crits, and as he has a weapon his crits will hurt a lot more than yours, make him spend his dodge and go for deceptive disarm attempts)
>>
>>47150106
Yeah my parry is at 19/2+4 = 13 giving me decent odds of not being hit.
A) How do I deal with Muscle McMeatbrain once he is in berserk?

B) Where in the book do I find the part about disarming the spear fighter?
>>
>>47149993
Figured; it's not the most popular supplement, but it does make skill influence breaking free rather that it be raw ST vs. ST.

With a whopping 26 HP, dude has crippling thresholds of 13 for the arms and 9 for the hands. While getting Flint Ironstag in an armlock will make it hard for him to break free (ST 12 + 5 (p. B371) + 4 (p. B403) = net ST 21), I really don't see you being able to get a MoV of 9 with your Judo-19 vs. his ST 20. Are you using Accumulated Wounds? That would let you cripple his arm over multiple turns. Or do you have any striking skill? The damage from an arm lock is a free action, letting you do other things like kick or knee him of whatever; you might just want to lock him down and then nickel and dime him to death.

Long story short, getting the dude in an armlock from behind will give you a decent chance of keeping him from killing you, but there's not much else you can do; you can't really take him out with a grapple, so at best you're just putting off his curbstomping.

This may be one of those times where some honeyed words and groveling is the best option. Get him to kill spearman before spearman gets him to kill you.

>>47150087
Auto-fail. From p. B345:
>You may not attempt a success roll if your effective skill is less than 3, unless you are attempting a defense roll (p. 374).
>>
>>47150106
He could try a Slip instead of a Retreat to get inside the spearman's reach; net Parry-14 isn't bad and getting into CC is the one big weakness of spears.
Lets just hope he doesn't know about Shoves with Weapons, as high-reach weapons get a bonus to that, though a solid defense is still a solid defense.
>>
>>47150160
Just dodge and defend, he hasn't got enoug skill to be puttng in deceptive attacks and will be crit fishing (10% if he goes all out per turn)

He can't defend, so jsut strike him in a vulnerable area. Telegraph it for a +4 bonus.

Disarming weapons is page 401 of campaigns, additional rules in GURPs martial arts (highly recommended even though it is out of print)
>>
>>47151034
>URPs martial arts (highly recommended even though it is out of print)

It's annoying how everything is out of print. But eh, pdf's...

My problem is I'm not sure how to actually do damage to him, having only really Judo.
>>
>>47151315
Damaging will be a bit more difficult, but remember, with 26 HP you would need to do 3 damage to cripple the eye (commited attack strong to get plus 1 damage) so even unarmed you are likely to be able to blind him, when he is blinded in two eyes just ignore him.

I do agree, he is still a challenge and your inability to do damage will be difficult and his high strength will be difficult to contend with.

But then again, you are fighting unarmed against a spear man and an axe man.

You are NOT likely to win, the odds are against you if the character point totals are equal, the game is quite simulationist and unless a lot of dramatic cinematic rules are being used, a person who is unarmed, fighting against people who are armed, built on simialr character points, is just more likely to lose...because in real life to people of equal ability (maybe not skilll, but the axe man accommodates with strength) one of them armed, the other not, the money is going to go on the armed man...cos that is life, people use weapons for a reason.

If the GM is using more cinematic rules that may make a difference
>>
>>47151478

Actually I have an idea for the axe man-

So he goes berserk and does his all-out crit fishing. Which is fine, its going to take him time to get through my defenses- besides my character has luck so I might get some milage out of that.

Okay: So he does AOA on me which means no defense which means I can hit him with any thing I can find by stacking up telegraphic attacks, right?
Is there a cap on how hard I can telegraph my attacks?

As for the spear man he is going to be a lot harder. But once Muscle McMeatbrain is dead there is only the spear man and a harmless GMPC left.
Neither of them has good perception, the difference here is that Muscle McMeatbrain cant just have his arm/leg crippled by a sneak attack. Which will be my prime strategy against the two others.
>>
>>47151613
The cap is +4, you can't get higher than that (you could add it with an all out attack determiend yoursef for +8 but if he hits you once he will seriously fuck you up so I wouldn't)

Unfortunately you can not stack telegraphed attacked with the consider manouvre (from the GURPs forum and word of Kromm himself)

But using a dagger would be a good idea, however his beserk will make him immune to stunning and +4 to stay up....so he is likely to be up for a while (until you get him to -5 times his health, not happening)

To be fair, he may get a crit before he falls over dead.

You need to cripple his limbs to render them unusable, and even with a telgraphed attack, the -9 is going to make it difficult tfor you to make a default attack with weapons to the eyes, vitals may be possible, but their main bonus is stunning the opponeng which he is immune to (and the +3 damage, but with a knife and poor strength and beserk you may as well be stabbing meat)

Could maybe pick up a hammer or some heavy two handed weapon, but using any weapon you lose your judo parry and are reliant on dodge and retreat.
>>
>>47151729

Guerilla warfare it is then, I need ground with sharpened stakes, hidden sharpened stakes. He attacks and I judo throw.
Alternatively some hole with even bigger spikes might do? The judo throw seems to be my primary tool.
Say, if I can get him on the ground couldnt I then go down from behind and choke him?
>>
>>47151729
With the two handed weapon you would be aiming for the arm (or maybe hand if you want to get lucky, but DX-4 and another -2 for an average skill giving you -6. The telegraph will take that to -2. With the hardest hitting weapon you can be doing swing +2 cut (assuming 10 strength) making on average, assuming unamroured hand, 7-8 damage,

With 26 HP you need to do 9 damage to cripple so doable with a cutting weapon. Could maybe get away with a one handed weapon. BUt won't be able to judo parry if holding a weapon.

Daggers though, you won't have a chance (unless doing cumulative wounds)
>>
>>47151813
With his strength it is going to be difficult (if you can, reach technical grappling, brillaint, and really goes into how much strength matters in wrestling and putting that into more refined rules)
>>
>>47151813
You may also want the traps skill, and camoflage skill, maybe digging as well to be able to construct the traps properly (or rely on default skills, but they may be easy to see, though you did mention they had poor perception)
>>
>>47151975

My character has camoflage 16, assuming I apply the judo throw for defense no mechanisms are necesay. Didnt have points for traps...
This is gonna be some Vietnam shit, my character will just lay low and stalk the enemy until he has opportunity, then strike if I see possibilities.
I'm very happy for the running skill now as It will very likely help me in hit and run strategies.
Also I have danger sense and perception 14 so they wont be ambushing my character easily.
Captured ranged weapons can also help me kite them, even if I don't hit.
>>
Anyone got a copy of Disasters: Meltdown and Fallout yet?
>>
Generally speaking, against humanoid opponents, is one better off investing in Targeted Attack Skill/(Weapon) or Targeted Attack Skill/(Hand) if they want to quickly neutralize an opponent's lethality without outright killing them?
>>
>>47153374
Hand
Or leg
Face is nice too. A hit ensures a roll versus knockdown and stun, because it's the head. But you don't get huge wounding multipliers for oops!kills
>>
>>47153374

Advantages of going for the weapon:

Easier to reach (assuming it's not a reach C weapon).
No Defence Bonus from shields.
Doesn't piss the target off quite as much as breaking his hand.

Advantages of going for the hand:

Much easier to cripple a hand than break a weapon.

For most people, the last point is the most important one. A broadsword has DR 6, 11 HP and HT 12. If you knock it down to 0 HP it has to roll against HT every turn it is used. On a failure, it could become useless or it might just lose it's tip. At -1 HP it is guaranteed to shatter if it fails the HT roll, but there's still a good chance it will pass it for several turns. Only truly massive amounts of damage or some very lucky rolls will take it out in one turn. An attack against a hand on the other hand (sorry) will automatically cripple it when you go past the threshold, which is usually pretty low. It also has a chance to stun your opponent.

tl;dr hand
>>
>>47151613
>Okay: So he does AOA on me which means no defense which means I can hit him with any thing I can find by stacking up telegraphic attacks, right?

That assumes a few dangerous things:

1) You are still alive after the attack. If he goes AOA double and hits you once you are going to be at -4 from pain and are likely to be rolling HT vs a major wound. If he gets lucky, you will be rolling HT vs instant death.

2) Telegraphic attack is allowed. It's an optional rule.
>>
Was there a pyramid article that went into depth on serendipity? I feel like there was, but can't recollect which.
>>
File: 1276099882764.jpg (496 KB, 1500x585) Image search: [Google]
1276099882764.jpg
496 KB, 1500x585
>>47154312
I thought is was social-fu that did that?
>>
>>47154035

I'm sorry. I meant to say "Disarming" instead of "Targeted Attack Skill/(Weapon)", as I was aware that weapons have DR and HP to contend with if you want to make them truly inoperable. The goal here is to stop making the wielder a threat as much as possible without going for a kill (possible crippling is okay, though).

Basically, it is a choice between disarming the wielder of their weapon versus damaging their hand.
>>
>>47156104
Of I can complicate things? Learn sweep
Probing someone is HELLA awesome for you and terribad for them. They have penalties to defend, limited movement, no retreat or step options. It's awesome
>>
>>47156104

Disarming gives you another penalty to hit (not sure if it can be bought off) and allows a quick contest for the target to keep his weapon, which will be hard to do unless you invest points in the Disarming technique or have a huge advantage in skill (or strength). Reliable disarming is probably only possible if you use a weapon which gives a bonus to it and invest the points for technique mastery plus the technique.

Generally speaking, crippling the hand is still going to be easier. If being able to stop attackers without killing them is a major thing you worry about and you expect them to mostly be using long weapons and/or shields then investing the points into disarming could pay off, but if it's just an incidental thing you are a little concerned might come into play now and again, I'd stick to hitting them in the hand.
>>
>>47156494
Disarm is at -2 unless you use fencing weapon. Prongs add +2 bonus on top of that.
>tfw rapier/sai hybrid will never be made irl
>>
HungerGamesAnon, what about choking him out? Strangling with actual crushing damage and suffocation is a quick contest of ST, but choking out at the rate of 1 FP/sec is automatic as long as to maintain a neck grapple from behind (p. B404). You may also want to pull some insane shit like grappling with the legs (-2 skill, +2 ST, p. MA79) that not only makes breaking out harder but leaves your hand free to wail on his head or stab at it with a knife — remember to go Reversed Grip (p. MA111) for +1 damage. You may be able to add arms and legs together if you read "arm" as "limb" i.e. "each limb beyond the first two gives +2"; ST 12 + 2 (legs) + 4 (2 arms) + 5 (grapple initiator) = ST 23. AOA (Strong) may add to this as well.

Yeah, you'll look like a retarded monkey on his back, but retarded monkeys are dangerous!
>>
>>47133598
Maybe the Mariners would actually be able to hit with a target that big, for one.
>>
>>47155808
I looked around for a pyramid issue with that name to no avail, your highness. Is that the article name?
>>
>>47154312
There's a Power-Ups splat called Inpulse Buys dedicated to how PCs can spend "points" in-game. The default currency for this is character points, but Serendipity gets some space too and IIRC is pretty solidly expanded on.

I think there might be something in the Action issue of Pyramid, but I'm not sure. I know they generic up Gadgets, but maybe Serendipity is also mentioned? I'm away from my books at the moment but I want to say Pyramid: Action has something.
>>
>>47160421
Ah, I've been meaning to
>buy
Impulse Buys for a while. This might just be the final stroke, the impulse if you will, that might push me to get it.
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
>>47158521
If you're given the option to purchase gear, two pairs of Fine (Balanced) kakutes (MA227) will give you +4 to the breaking free QC, and will only run you $100. Very worthwhile investment.
>>
>>47158521

I like this. I can see how my character could slowly and steadily choke him out, also it might work really well against Muscle McMeatbrain, he has berserk which means he will be laser focused on getting my guy of: He cant scream as I'm choking him and he cant signal for help because BERSERK he has to attack.
>>
http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/ind:combat-skills-with-techniques

Here are some combinations that amuse me (either because they seem impractical when paired up with an associated Technique or because they flat-out don't make any sense given the weapon being used):

"Reverse Grip (GURPS Martial Arts, p. 78), Average, Default: Two-Handed Flail-4, Maximum: Two-Handed Flail+0 "

"Finger Lock (GURPS Basic Set, p. 230, or GURPS Martial Arts, p. 73), Hard, Default: Polearm-3, Maximum: Polearm+0"

"Arm Lock (GURPS Basic Set, p. 230, or GURPS Martial Arts, p. 65), Average, Default: Force Sword-0, Maximum: Force Sword+4"

"Finger Lock (GURPS Basic Set, p. 230, or GURPS Martial Arts, p. 73), Hard, Default: Force Sword-3, Maximum: Force Sword+0"

"Finger Lock (GURPS Basic Set, p. 230, or GURPS Martial Arts, p. 73), Hard, Default: Monowire Whip-3, Maximum: Monowire Whip+0"

"Reverse Grip (GURPS Martial Arts, p. 78), Average, Default: Monowire Whip-6, Maximum: Monowire Whip+0 "

"Fighting While Seated* (GURPS Martial Arts, p. 83), Hard, Default: Shield-2, Maximum: Shield+0"
>>
>>47163021

Weapon-Technique combinations*
>>
>>47162885
>kakutes
>balanced
How the hell this shit can be balanced? It's already weight virtually nothing.
>>
>>47163518
Balanced has nothing to do with weapon weight. The only things that can't be balanced are the following:
>Sticks – batons, clubs, quarterstaffs, wooden stakes, etc. – and improvised weapons can’t have fine balance.

Shuriken weigh 0.1 lbs. each and are fine to be made balanced. Why not kakute?
>>
>>47163681
You do realize that balancing the shuriken mostly means improving aerodynamic?
> Why not kakute?
Same reason you can't balance helmet or gloves.
What exactly do you expect from "balanced" kakute vs "unbalanced"?
>>
>>47163732

Helmets and gloves aren't classified as weapons, though. The rules on weapon quality do not apply to them.
>>
GURPS High Heels

http://www.barkingduck.net/ehayes/essays/highheel.htm
>>
File: 1404246067586.jpg (286 KB, 618x1000) Image search: [Google]
1404246067586.jpg
286 KB, 618x1000
>>47164051
Damn that is weird. Seriously though, no skill is required to walk in cowboy or riding boots.
>>
>>47164915
It's written to appeal to someone's fetish for high heels, which is fairly apparent when the "default" is 4-inch stiletto heels and it talks about use with GURPS Sex.

That said I want the boots the girl is wearing in that photo.
>>
>>47166031

The bigger clue is that pony heels are mentioned, and given specific, specialised mechanics.
>>
File: gurps.png (121 KB, 320x301) Image search: [Google]
gurps.png
121 KB, 320x301
>>47164051
Seriously. This kind of bullshit is not good for gurps as a game. This is what gives it the reputation for being autist: the statwank
>>
>>47166690
"autists" can do what you want, you don't have to add it to your game because someone on the internet put stats on it
>>
>>47166443
Well there are *lots* of clues, I just used the ones that I saw first.
>>
>>47149145
>Show them your mastery of gorilla warfare.
So... beat your chest and rip your enemies' arms out of their sockets?
>>
If anyone has any ideas to help me:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=143209&page=2

In short - how do I make stats for huge crude guns that can put holes in UT suits?
How do I make huge crude versions of UT suits?
>>
>>47166787
I don't have to add it to my game, you don't have to add it to yours, but being associated with GURPS High Heel Fetish and GURPS Hypnotic Bimbo Wizards is bad for the game as a whole, even if few people use it, just by dint of being known.
>>
Is there a way to fix problems with DEX and IQ?
Is there a way to fix problems with wealth and income?

Of course I can houserule both of them. I want to know if anyone has already tried it.
>>
>>47169509
What are your problems specifically?
>>
>>47169324

If you delve into any RPG's community, you'll eventually find fan-made material that doesn't click with you or even comes off as strange.

Now, someone judging an RPG based on what certain fans do with it (as far as I know, there isn't some gigantic high-heels rules enthusiast movement in the GURPS community), well...then they're a rather shallow individual.
>>
>>47169577
DEX and IQ are too low in difference. IQ16+ character is a genius that can default to 10+ in IQ/hard science cources. Same for DEX and martial arts. Most humans in this system should have IQ 9-11 or 8-12 at max. So these stats are basically almost same for majority of plausible characters.

Wealth and income are based on modern american norm and badly scale to other settings, even contemporary. Income doesn't differ from wealth character points-wise. Wealth doesn't account for inflation and exchange rates.
An example. I have a modern cyberpunk setting - with TNCs fighting for oil, EU against US in wars for markets and influence, etc. Let's say my character is from East European country. He has a flat that costs 18-20$k (ppp), plus car and stuff - average wealth. At the same time his wage is 1k$ at max - this is poor or struggling job/income. If currency of his country devalues and/or inflates, his income and wealth may drop 2 and more times in dollar term in less than a year.
Basically, wealth stat is shit even from economics 101 view.
>>
>>47169324
You know something is stupid when you don't have to strawman it to make it sound retarded.
>>
>>47169902

" Most humans in this system should have IQ 9-11 or 8-12 at max."

The Cult of Stat Normalization?
>>
>>47169902
IQ and DEX 16 characters are literally superhuman- the books tells you to cap attributes in realistic games, exactly for that reason. Larger-than-life characters in cinematic games are exempt because adherence to realism is a non-issue.
>>
>>47170137

Characters has this to say.

"Most characters have attributes in
the 1-20 range, and most normal
humans have scores in the 8-12 range."

There is nothing about being superhuman or capping attributes beyond the following entry ->

"Scores above 20 are possible but typically
reserved for godlike beings – ask
the GM before buying such a value."

20, not 16.

Now, later supplements may say something different, but the above is the core RAW statement on Attributes.
>>
>>47170414
>"Scores above 20 are possible but typically
>reserved for godlike beings – ask
>the GM before buying such a value."
>20, not 16.
There's a LOT of room between "normal human" and "godlike". If you put those at either end of a line, I'd say "superhuman" definitely falls somewhere in the middle, so around 15 or so.
>>
>>47170571

15 is described as "Amazing", but not cinematic or superheroic.

IMO, you start becoming superheroic once two or more attributes hit 15 or higher.

The mountain of a man (ST 15/HT 15), for instance, or the incredibly sharp-minded acrobat (DX 15/IQ 15) qualifies. That's my opinion, though.

Also, keep in mind that there is a Character Point limit instituted in most (99.99%) games. You can have that IQ 15/DX15 chap, but it's going to cost you 200 Character Points...and that's without any other purchased Trait. In my experience, realistic games hit an absolute maximum of 300 to maybe MAYBE 350 Character Points allowed for builds, and that's pretty much "Seals in Vietnam" level.

You can load up on Disadvantages to compensate, sure, yet you'll end up with a character hamstrung by their many hangups.
>>
>>47170051
I'm not sure what you're talking about (google leads to some flame wars I don't care about). I've dloaded an archive from OP and read the 4th edition rulebook for the first time. My previous GURPS "experience" is reading a 3rd ed rulebook 6-10 years ago.

>>47170137
>the books tells you to cap attributes in realistic games
That's cool, but I wanted to differentiate office plankton and low-level mercenaries a bit more than economics-12 and economics-13 (or shooting or whatever). I've thought maybe make skills default to Stat/2 or Stat/4 not Stat-4 or Stat-6. I'm not sure.
>>
>>47133501
>Like a d20 instead
>a d20 instead
>d20
>>
>>47170899
Pyramid #65 has an article about reducing defaults to Attribute/2+modifier. The rest of that issue is really solid, too.
>>
I bought a used Basic Deluxe Edition from my FLGS's used bin today for about 30 bucks. My DM nearly shat himself when I told him. Are those things actually rare, or was he exaggerating?
>>
>>47171788
Was it the version with both parts of the Basic Set bound together in a single book? Yes those are rare and pretty goddamn expensive too. $30 isn't normally enough to get ONE of the books, but you got them both together for that price; if that wasn't enough, the quality of binding required to keep a book that fucking big from falling apart would increase the costs even more so -- that's why SJG opted to do two volumes in the first place.

So yea, you got a very good deal and I'm jealous as fuck.
>>
If I'm aiming with a rifle that has a scope, does that mean that if it's bonus is at least +2, at turn 2 of aiming I gain +1 for extra second AND +1 for the scope, correct?
>>
How should I run a zombie apocalypse game in the style of walking dead with GURPS? Are there any new advantages I should introduce?
>>
>>47172427
Correct.
>>
>>47169324
Dude, settle down. It's fine. Really.

The odd fansplat released into the wilds of the internet are not going to make GURPS any less of a game.
If a hugely successful kickstarter for the Brony Pathfinder splat hasn't lessened the appeal of PF to people, then this is surely less than nothing.
>>
>>47172449
Walking dead guros would mostly focus on the mundane advantages of the humans left to the world. You mostly wanna hone your choices on the dead, and their injury tolerance/damage resistance.

You shouldn't need to print any new advantages,(that would be reinventing the wheel) but if you want to customize them, look to the enhancements and limitations in the basic set.
>>
>>47169902
>Basically, wealth stat is shit even from economics 101 view.

If you want the wealth stat to account for inflation and exchange rates, you should realise that the wealth stat is *not* actual dollar values or even a currency, it's just a representation to put TL's and items into a rough comparative scale.
>>
>>47170571

Agreed - and the NPCs in the books follow that pretty well. Both Transhuman Space and Who's Who very rarely have anybody have an IQ of 16.

THS has genetically engineered geniuses with 22nd century educations.

Who's Who statted up Newton, among many others.

And both were in third edition, where IQ was cheaper and less restricted. Nowadays I think IQ15+ would be even rarer.

Of course, some of this depends on your genre. Dungeon Fantasy and Monster Hunters don't t really care about IQ15+ Wizards running around fireballing goblins, or the gadgeteer designing a revolutionary energy weapon in a day or so just to deal with the Monster of the Week.
>>
>>47172449

Pretty much just check out GURPS Zombies for appropriate templates and shamblers and you're good to go.

The new After the End supplements would be pretty good if you want to set it a bit later and have scavenging and settlements be a thing - but not essential.
>>
Bump?
>>
>>47175295
1 GURP$ ≠ 1 American dollar; hell, it doesn't always equal *any* type of dollar. That's why you still start with $250 at TL0; Thog doesn't have a plethora of stone coins in his loincloth ladies, he has $250 worth of gear in the form of pelts, stone tools, etc.; the GURP$ price represents the time, effort, and luck required to obtain and maintain those items, not the literal exchanging of currency for goods and services.
>>
>>47168645
Speaking of which, how much ST do I need to rip the arms off of my enemies?
>>
>>47177899
I've always treated is as dealing enough damage with Wrench (Limb) to trigger dismemberment, so 12 injury for your average human. Since Wrenching deals sw damage, that takes a minimum of 12 ST with Wrestling at DX+2 (1d+4 = 2d) but won't really be feasible until 16 (2d+2 becomes 2d+6/3d+2 with Wrestling at DX+2, avg. damage of 12) or higher.
>>
>>47177899
You need to be able to inflict twice the "crippling threshold" for a limb. So, for average 10 HP guys, that's 12 damage. Technically, by RAW, it's a bit iffy if you *can* actually do it, but there's an article about Dire and Terrible monsters in one of the Dungeon Fantasy issues of Pyramid which has some special attacks for monsters. One of them is called "A Farewell to Arms", and covers precisely this.
>>
File: _20160510_144450.jpg (163 KB, 854x580) Image search: [Google]
_20160510_144450.jpg
163 KB, 854x580
>>47178487
>>47177899
>>
>>47178487
>>47178691
I just reread that article; god I forgot how punny and gleefully evil it was; the authors must have had fun with that.
>>
>>47171390
Thank you.

>>47175295
>>47177645
I quite understand it. You guys probably missed "ppp" in my post. I'm saying that a) in basic rules income/wealth are not differentiated enough, b) income/wealth ratio is quite unrealistic even for modern setting, c) income/wealth system from basic rules doesn't account for basic economic phenomena - devaluation of goods and international price fluctuations (problems would definitely appear even in medieval setting with low long-term inflation during "routine" price crisis like bad harvest).
>>
>>47158925
That is not their only problem. They have so many endemic problems.

I should know, me and my family are die hard Mariners fans.

We want them to do well, but know they will inevitably shit the bed against some punk team, or get their heads kicked in by a good team.
>>
>>47179135
I can't speak to a or b because I'm tired as fuck and can't be arsed to look anything up, but for c, price fluctuation is entirely up to the GM and is setting/scenario specific; the system only gives you the "fair market price" for you to base everything off of. If there's a bad harvest and the price of grain bumps up 50%, you still need the FMP the book gives as a base.
>>
>>47179135
Yeah, if you want a more complicated economic simulation you really need to dig into it and rather then using generic universal rules get into detailed ones that really scratch your itch.

On the bright side, that's not hard to do in GURPS. You can build drop in rules.
>>
File: _20160510_154834.jpg (99 KB, 804x604) Image search: [Google]
_20160510_154834.jpg
99 KB, 804x604
>>47178720
I love that they actually put the Rabbit of Caerbannog in.
>>
>>47166690
It doesn't help, but you also can't help people being stupid and not realizing it's a joke/crazy house rule fetish fuel crap.
>>
>>47168935
http://www.btrc.net/3g3

3g3 GunsGunsGuns!.

Designs Guns, has conversion guidelines for major systems, and for any system that you know, makes sense damage wise.

I believe some of the more recent post apocalyptic pyramid articles have some stuff as guidelines, although applying what you get there and from perusing High and Ultra tech can sort of lead you to the same conclusions. 3g3 has design options for cheaper, but heavier equipment, cheaper equipment more prone to malfunctions, malfunctions and overall performance in accordance with whatever you want, etc. Like, you can dictate that your boolets are foolishly overloaded with powder to a dangerous degree and the design rules dutifully reflect this, and this readily converts into gurps Malfunction terms.

There is a fair amount of granularity, too. It might be easier just to work backward from the premise of "big round that can punch through Power Armor" and then just sort of apply the other features to that. This might of course, be somewhat ridiculous because Power Armor is like, 70 or something? I'd look at penetration from weapons systems intended to be used by ground attack aircraft to go for the roof armor of WW2 - Early Cold War tanks.

Various bipod mounted antitank weapons will also probably serve well for what you intend, typically the interwar (ww1-ww2) models, and probably a few of the really light actual cannons, like the 1 pounder model 1916. (S24 or so? Still, if you had crude power armor...)

And again, some of the autocannons intended for planes, well, they kill dudes in power armor since they can get through that much.

The big AT rifles are funny though because they were infamous for breaking people's collarbones in many cases, and in some models, are crudely finished and probably pretty dangerous. (I've seen one 13mm AT gun from ww1 like that. It's not just the age and abuse, it's just plain crudely made.)
>>
In GURPS Martial Arts, there is a martial art Style called "Le Canne de Combat" (Page 157).

This Style is focused around fighting with a cane. Problem is, Page 214 says this about the cane as a weapon.

"Cane – Universal. The walking stick is an accessory of gentlemen
worldwide. Treat as a LIGHT CLUB (p. B271)."

In the Characters book, the Light Club is wielded with the Broadsword Skill. However, Le Canne de Combat's primary Skill is Smallsword.

The same entry on Page 157 says,

"Martial artists who prefer long, narrow canes would replace Smallsword with Rapier".

My questions, then, are the following.

1. Assuming using a Light Club with the Smallsword Skill is rules legal, do you benefit from the 0F Parry modifier when defending with it via Smallsword?

2. What are the stats for a "long, narrow cane" that can be used with the Rapier Skill?
>>
>>47180222
Personally, I'd just assume the "cane" they use with Smallsword skill is the "short staff" listed under said skill in the Basic Set.
>>
Has anyone heard any updates on the new edition oif the GURPS Discworld book? I look at the official page, but it hasnt been updated sice January. There has to be something going on.
>>
>>47180222
>>47180376
Also in Low-Tech that's what they explicitly recommend:
"Lighter canes, suitable for use with Rapier or Smallsword skill, are also available; treat as a SHORT STAFF (pp. 69, B273)." (pg 55)
>>
>>47180452
They're "trying to overcome financial barriers" to send both it and GURPS Mars Attacks to the printers. I don't think they want to just release pdfs.
>>
>>47179491
My only criticism is that they couldn't work "snikt" into pic related.
>>
>>47182220
Can you have terrible dire wolverine pet?
>>
>>47182250
Probably not the best idea, what with the Bad Temper (9) and Bloodlust (9).
>>
>>47182250
Only if you're Australian.
>>
>>47181137
I heard it's part of the license that printing the Discworld book is a mandatory condition.
>>
>>47170899
Well, some of the "office plankton" might not even have defaults in guns, depending on the country or their background, and if they do, it's still going to be total dogshit. And they will have pacifism of some level, and probably some incidence of poor vision, chronic pain from bad backs, Unhealthy, etc.

Using the rules from Tactical Shooting for such people (ordinary people) they will also probably spend most of their time freaking out and not acting like operators in a gunfight. They will be cowering and running and if they shoot, it will again, not be well considered or remotely accurate.

The mercenaries will not panic, do not have compunctions about shooting people, are probably at least in shape and maybe even Fit, and if they have worked together, have drilled as such and work as a tightly organized team.

They can also you know, hit what they intend to shoot a reasonable amount of the time.

If they relied on their non existent skills in office working and stuff like that, they would be working at McDonalds or if in the same building, as security or something. And it has been said points values are kind of hinky when you compare actual adventuring types or fighters, with office workers and politicians. The latter will really suck in a fight. Franklin Delano Roosevelt has a HUGE points value, but he can barely stand unaided and he's a gentlemanly sort anyway, and not the sort like Teddie. He would get his ass kicked by a 10 point child character.
>>
>>47184535
>might not even have defaults in guns

Wait, what?
>>
>>47184988
A character might not be able to roll against even a default if they are *totally* unfamiliar with the necessary skills. The average American child can roll against Driving at default because, while they've never driven or been taught how to drive, they've seen their parents do it enough for them to guess their way through it. Similarly, a rural farmer from China that has never been inside a car can get a default because they've at least seen someone else drive before, or maybe they see one on the TV. If you put a Yanomami tribesman behind the wheel of a sedan, though, they lack *any* sort of context and can't roll, even at default.

Actually, that example may come down more to the Yanomami's multiple levels of Low TL. A better example may be someone who has never looked at a science textbook, doesn't read about scientific discoveries in the news, and didn't take any science courses in school would probably not even be able to roll at default for academic/theory skills like Chemistry despite it having a listed default of IQ-6. All those courses you took in high school or had a semester of as a freshman in college probably didn't leave you with any points (if they did, they're probably gone now due to Maintaining Skills), but they DO justify you being able to roll at default.
>>
How many games should it be before a player stops asking,
"What's margin of success?"
"Where is dodge on my character sheet?"
"How do I figure out my acrobatics skill again?"
>>
>>47186115
Uhhh, 0?
>>
Hello guys, do you know any official gurps book or rule that talks about crafting, i wanted to know about crafting armor and the quality achieved with a roll, and what about armor quality?
>>
>>47185284
Yeah, I know that, but how would you justify a modern day office worker not knowing what a gun is?

>>47187485
One of the Low-tech Companions, volume 2 I think?
>>
>>47182719
If that's true, then that would be what's holding it up.
>>
>>47163021

Does no one else think that the mental image of pulling off a "Finger Lock" with a Monowire Whip is funny but me?
>>
>>47187570
Heads up though, as the rules from LTC3 are not exactly well received.
>>
>>47187570
>>47188530
It was in Low-Tech page 109 Armor of Quality, and LTC 3 page 24, these are some awkward rules, but i need to read it all before jumping into conclusions. Thanks. But why they are not well received?
>>
>>47188803
The last thread (or maybe the one before that) covered it in decent detail, so check the archives, but the short version is that it doesn't mesh with existing assumptions and traditions (any roll with MoS 5+ is normally super awesome, but crafting needs 12+ for a Fine weapon) and that existing prices do not reflect the rarity or difficulty to make Fine/Very Fine weapons (a VF Dagger costs less than a Cheap Thrusting Bastard Sword despite needing a god-tier armor to produce).

There's also a forum thread that covers the topic.
>>
File: nosferatu_by_manzanedo-d62n7hj.jpg (241 KB, 742x850) Image search: [Google]
nosferatu_by_manzanedo-d62n7hj.jpg
241 KB, 742x850
Is it just me, or are default vampires very fragile in GURPS?

The Nosferatu (GURPS Horror, Page 87) has Injury Tolerance: Unliving and, on average, HP 20. This might seem good, but 7.62mm NATO/.308 Winchester rifles (which aren't exactly uncommon) will quickly take it down.

You might say "it has Unkillable 2, so it's tougher than it looks". The problem with this is that because damn near everyone knows that a vampire can be killed with a stake to the heart, they will just rush over and start stabbing the monster with a sharpened oak implement of choice.

Iindeed, the Unkillable 2 Advantage that the standard GURPS vampire possesses is vulnerable to damage caused by wood *and* the Nosferatu takes double damage from impaling wood damage to the heart)

Otherwise, it looks/reads like a suitably grotesque monster to challenge my players. The problem is that it simply is not durable enough when they can get shots in.

By the way, if the Nosferatu's rat swarm is killed, can it summon another such swarm immediately or must it wait another day?
>>
>>47190746

What's its HT rolls for unconsciousness and death going to be? If it has high rolls for that and can avoid shock and the alike, it'll take about 120 HP worth of damage to actually stop it from fighting back.
>>
File: 1456029081534.jpg (294 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
1456029081534.jpg
294 KB, 1600x1131
>>47190746
I like them that way. It's how I play them in my games, using the old GURPS Black Ops vampires from 3e as a starting point. They're massive glass cannons able to tear a door off the hinges, but they have so many weaknesses and downsides that you sure as hell don't want to end up as one.
>>
>>47190746

HT is unmodified by either template (Vampire or Nosferatu), so it's 10.
>>
>>47190821

Fair enough (different folks for different strokes and all that jazz). Myself, I like my monsters to be big threats and rare but memorable.
>>
File: 1296881025773.jpg (15 KB, 629x356) Image search: [Google]
1296881025773.jpg
15 KB, 629x356
>>47190912
Well the idea is that you use them as glass cannons: they sneak, stalk, separate, and then go all-in and try to rip you to shreds before you can whip out the fire or silver or whatever you got, or your friends arrive.

Mind you, the Black Ops vampires are horrifying. They get massive benefits when bloodhungry, including TRIPLE ST, immunity to pain, and other benefits that turns them into melee bombs. You may win, but they'll probably manage to eat off a few dozen HP.
>>
>>47190746
I have a feeling that the Nosferatu is meant to be a nigh unstoppable challenge to Quincy Morris, and not Trevor Belmont/a well prepared party geared for battle.
>>
>>47190959

Speaking of which, shouldn't it's "Bad Smell" Disadvantage make any Stealth rolls severely penalized if not outright impossible against those with a functioning sense of smell?

Also, I know that the creature's "Insubstantiality" Advantage represents it turning into mist. It's fairly obvious that moving mist makes no real noise, so no Hearing roll outside of someone with a superhuman Perception score will be able to pick up on it. What actually concerns me is visibility. How easy to spot would a man-sized cloud of vapor be?
>>
File: 1457917419583.jpg (344 KB, 908x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457917419583.jpg
344 KB, 908x1200
Been having this question for a while but since I haven't played GURPS that much, I'm not sure if it's the case.

To win a sword combat in GURPS, is it better to approach it with real sword combat strategies? Such as trying to drop your opponent, wrestling, etc rather than just trying to fish for a hit.
>>
>>47191891
>drop your opponent, wrestling, etc
It's only working for armored fight, you know. Otherwise it's too risky.
>>
>>47192005
Ah, I forgot to mention that detail: Indeed, it would be considered for armored combat.
>>
>>47192045
In this case, it depends on whether you can easily hit the enemy in the parts not protected by armor. Sword is not a good anti-armor weapon, so if both combatants are wearing full armor and their skill levels are not ridiculous, then they will have hard time targeting chinks in armor you know how it is with chinks - they all are small and sneaky and know kung-fu. In this case, you will really want to drop your enemy on the ground - his reduced defenses will mean that you can use Telegraphic Attack more effectively, and you will also be able to use All-Out Attack more safely.
>>
>>47192045
>>47192194
In addition if you can grapple him, you reduce his attack even further.
Also use specialized weapons like rondel dagger or katar that have bonus for targeting chinks.
>>
>>47192194
>>47192278
Got it, thanks for the feedback! To be honest I can't quite keep track of all the rules until they're tested out in the game, so I tend to forget the actual benefits of each option-
>>
File: Punctured-Aerosol-Cans.jpg (186 KB, 600x397) Image search: [Google]
Punctured-Aerosol-Cans.jpg
186 KB, 600x397
Suppose an aerosol can of whipped cream or spray paint exploded due to being punctured or overheated. What would be the explosion and fragmentation damage?
>>
>>47193233
Whats the REF of gasses listed as in high tech? On that explosives table it has?
>>
>>47194376
You need to find real-life REF.
>>
Sense of right and wrong.
Is it Intuition bond to Code of Honor? Just Acute Senses? Something else?
>>
>>47196681
It's just a lack of Magery
>>
>>47193233
Honestly you might just give it 1d of fragmentation damage or something like that. I might be wrong on this but I feel like the explosive force of an aerosol can wouldn't do much unless it was in direct contact with someone when it exploded, maybe have it do 1d cr damage as well to someone who is in direct contact with it.
>>
>>47193233
You could also have the possibility of paint getting in peoples eyes temporarily blinding.
>>
>>47196736
What if it's Spider Wizard They have both somehow.
>>
>>47196681
Intuition?
Or are you taking about a moral compass ability?
>>
>>47133912
>black magics indeed
Statisticians are Meme Mathemathicans.
>look at me i can calculate formulas
>>
If I want medieval combat to be as realistic as possible what supplements should I use?
>>
>>47198386
Probably the most important are
Low-Tech,
Low-Tech Companion 2 and 3 (LTC1 has nothing to do with fighting, but it's interesting)
Martial Arts
And if you want to add in war, but don't mind high levels of abstraction, Mass-Combat.
>>
>>47197810
Dark Math memetics when?
>>
>>47198539
Required
Delusion (Pi is so epic for the win, it's an irrational number, and talking about it makes me look smart.)
>>
>>47198582
>it's an irrational number
>delusion
Did I miss something?
>>
>>47198582
>Delusion (Pythagorean)

>>47198672
The delusion would be that knowing things about it makes you look smart.
>>
>>47196681
I'd just run it as a variant of Common Sense. "Make an IQ roll. Yeah, it's totally wrong to burn down an orphanage, you probably shouldn't do that."
>>
>>47188923
Yeah i see it now, thanks anon.
>>
>>47133501
I wanted to grab the GURPS Lite rules to give it a gander, but you have to make an account to download it now.

This is fucking retarded.
Someone post the PDF.
>>
>>47202665
Check the "image" in the op.
>>
File: GURPS Artist.jpg (303 KB, 600x488) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Artist.jpg
303 KB, 600x488
>>
File: Bob Ross GURPS.png (552 KB, 500x646) Image search: [Google]
Bob Ross GURPS.png
552 KB, 500x646
>>47204295
>>
>>47202665
I think it's always been like that.
>>
Any one play any horror campaigns?
>>
>>47196681
Lack of sense of right and wrong would be a disadvantage.
>>
>>47207018
Disadvantages exist to limit your character in one way or another. Not having a sense of right and wrong isn't a disadvantage in itself. Now, if the reason your character has no interest in all these "ethics" shenanigans is because they have some interesting mental problems, or the consequences of their morality-disregarding actions have harmed their reputation or gotten them cursed by God, those might be worth disadvantages.
>>
Hey, GURPSgen, can you help me out a bit?

Both Reflex Bodysuit and TacSuit claim that they're "comfortable to wear" and "don't provide DX penalty". Does that mean I can safely put on a clamshell or tactical vest on top and not suffer DX penalties from layering armor?
>>
>>47207320
Not unless it says "don't provide a DX penalty when layered with other armor".
>>
>>47207477
RIP. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>47207477
I thought the ruling on that was based on; if it's flexible or concealable, you can wear it under hard armor without issues.
>>
Guys, this is probably a weird question but I just got to thinking about "Speak to Animals." It kinda seems weird to me that it lets you talk to animals, but it doesn't behave like talking to people, in that you don't need to learn a language. You just know every animal language (unless you have the limitation that makes it a subset.)
Also asking one question takes one minute, is this supposed to mean you are thinking really hard and struggling with how to talk? More important implication, does this mean you can't use "Speak to Animals" to passively pick up conversations between a gaggle of geese or a couple alley cats?
It seems like the Sapience modifier from Powers might make it into a regular conversation, but you still require reactions from animals even without the sapience enhancement... but I feel like a lot of animals don't care about looks, voice, smell, etc, for better or for worse, so the reaction modifiers would be kinda topsy turvy in that regard as well.

Dunno what my point is, but it seems like a weird thing.
>>
>>47208136
No, you just can wear it under armor at all. Any layering of DR-providing gear hampers DX.
>>
>>47208563
of course it is a weird thing. it's fantastic. Animals don't speak. they don't have conversations among themselves. They communicate something very simple, and the others of its kin understand it. That's it.
What the spell does is basically making the animal completely understand what you want, and it then try its best to comunicate to you, something that it is really bad at doing, because it is an animal.
>>
>>47198456
Are there any obscure stuff that enhance realism?
>>
>>47209277
Deadly String.
>>
File: AaniX4R.png (382 KB, 829x1440) Image search: [Google]
AaniX4R.png
382 KB, 829x1440
>>47209277
The Last Gasp (From Alternate GURPS II). It makes it so there are lulls and pauses in combat, and people aren't attacking constantly for 20 rounds in a row.
>>
>>47207117
The Callous disadvantage is pretty much a literal "no sense of right and wrong".
Bloodlust and Bully also come under the umbrella.
>>
>>47210090
No. Callous just means being more cruel than you normally should. You don't automatically become puppy-killer just because of that.
>>
Can firearms become "unready" or it's purely melee thing?
>>
Is there a character generator like PCGen or Chummer for Gurps 4e?
>>
>>47210580
http://www.gurpscharactersheet.com/
It's in the OP.
Also, there is official one from sjgames, but I never used it.
>>
>>47210580
>>47210622
Hey thanks, I didn't know the OP was a PDF! This will really help out.
>>
>>47210622
I've a loto f experience with the GCA, but next to none with the GCS. How would you rate the latter's usefulness in comparison to the former?
(People are saying good things about GCS, but I can't fathom how it could possibly be more practical than GCA, even though GCA is a buggy mess at times.)
>>
>>47210971
Having used both, they're both pretty equivalent. But GCA didn't let me get more than one of the same advantage with different modifiers (or at least I didn't figure out how), so GCS kinda stuck since then.
>>
>>47207320
Go with localised DX penalty. Clamshell will give you DX penalties to torso rolls.
>>
>>47210367
Two-handed guns become unready after each shot if you're firing them one-handed.
>>
>>47211609
>Torso Rolls
DX Penalty on torso gives penalties to all actions.
>>
>>47147597

Even when you got magical healing, campaigns where the GM springs encounters where opponents that routinely damage your characters become quite a chore in my experience.
>>
>>47213935
Let me have my dreams.
>>
>>47211024
Right click on the advantage you want to duplicate, select "Copy". A duplicate of that advantage appears in the list that you can freely modify.
>>
>>47210346
No sense of right and wrong doesn't necessarily mean you're a puppy killer either. It's really going to come down to interpretation - to me, it's not giving a shit about the consequences of your actions. Which is what Callous is all about "You are merciless, if not cruel. You can decipher other's emotions, but you do so only to manipulate them - you don't care about their feelings or pain."

That, to me, is a key component of having no sense of right and wrong - you'll burn down the orphanage because you don't care about the welfare of the kids inside, you'll have a gunfight in the middle of the street and you don't care about bystanders getting shot, you'll steal a car because you want or need it and you don't care how much that will fuck over the owner.
Someone without Callous wouldn't do those things without a second thought - they'd steer clear of the first, avoid the second, of possible, and try to move the fight away, and they'd feel shitty about doing the third, unless the car belonged to an enemy party.
>>
GCS Update
>>
File: gWGu23U.jpg (54 KB, 838x911) Image search: [Google]
gWGu23U.jpg
54 KB, 838x911
I want my pc's to be from a race of what are now essentially sentient plants. For one reason or another they should be able to handle about 5 men in hand to hand combat by themselves and have a hide thick enough to where things that would gut other races merely give a large gash to their race.

What I'm all caught up on is how many points should I give to people who play this race? Do you still give them the default 100 points? Or do I subtract from the points or what at character creation?
>>
File: tacticalcustom.png (25 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
tacticalcustom.png
25 KB, 1936x1936
Put together a simple border for tokens with color-coded facings, should fit fine into roll20 and maptools hexes.

Tokentool variant - https://a.pomf.cat/hivhln.png

Green - Front
Yellow - Left/Right
Red - Back
>>
>>47215302
The thing is, there's a difference between not knowing what's right and what's wrong, and not caring. If you're callous, you know the difference between right and wrong, you just don't care... but you could still use this knowledge to manipulate others, for example.

If you simply don't know the difference between right and wrong, you're not necessarily callous... maybe you want to be a good person, you just literally don't know how.

In the end, the two definitely deserve to be separate (at least in a system like GURPS that cares about that level of detail). They simply aren't the same thing, even if they are similar.
>>
>>47216203
You build the race using normal point totals. Then whatever point total the race comes out to is the cost of playing a character of that race. Each player still gains the normal number of CP, but someone who wants to play a given race has to spend the listed amount of CP for that race to do so.
>>
>>47216500
I think the issue at hand is that there a two versions of "doesn't know right from wrong": the Sociopath and the Child. Callous covers the Sociopath (they don't internally know right from wrong and lack a moral compass, but they they know what other people call right and wrong), but for the Child, lack of knowledge of right and wrong is a matter of ignorance/not "getting it." Maybe Low Empathy instead? You don't understand other people's emotions, and I think the ability to connect with others emotionally is a major component of understanding right from wrong on an innate level (e.g. does this action hurt a person/make them feel bad?). An actual child would quickly buy this off as they are socialized, but when you have an Adam and Eve situation with full adults living such paradisiacal lives that wrong and bad and evil simply don't exist as concepts, they may struggle more if forced to suddenly confront such things.

Note that all the above is talking about right and wrong as subjective gut feelings based on the culture your character grew up in; if you're talking for a more D&D setting where you have Right and Wrong as objective forces and you want the ability to always find out what the Right thing to do is, Blessed (likely with Reduced Time and Reduced Fatigue Cost) is a solid base.
>>
>>47216517
How should I calculate the "basically dexterous enough to take on 5 men at once" thing?
>>
>>47216843
Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Dodge 4, Acrobatics, and chi-enabled 360 vision.
>>
>>47211024
Hmm.. Even if (near-)duplicate ads is possible in GCS, isn't GCA way more streamlined and modular? ...with the data sets already added?

When trying GCS it seemed like I didn't have any data sets. Or at leat, I couldn't find them. What about ads/disads from outside the Basic Set? Are those in the GCS, or addable to it?

(You see, I only tried out GCS for like-.. a few minutes. Really rushed, so I didn't really get into it. ..but from what I saw, it seems like it's a better aid for making quick npcs than full PCs. Is this wrong?)
>>
>>47216883
I can't find anything on "enhanced dodge"
>>
File: 1394586975495.png (345 KB, 637x356) Image search: [Google]
1394586975495.png
345 KB, 637x356
>>47216883
Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Dodge 4, Acrobatics, and chi-enabled 360 vision.

Dayum... Add some Luck to that and you're approaching gamebreaker-levels

>>47217000
It's under the advantage Enhanced Defenses in Characters
>>
>>47216947
Are you that Anon from last time who was absolutely butt-devastated that people used GCS over GCA?

>isn't GCA way more streamlined and modular?
Ah fucking ah. GCA is clunky as fuck compared to GCS.

>with the data sets already added?
GCS is getting more data sets all the time.

>When trying GCS it seemed like I didn't have any data sets. Or at leat, I couldn't find them.
Well, try harder nigger, as the saying goes.

>What about ads/disads from outside the Basic Set?
There's a bunch of libraries from books other than BS and I don't even have the latest version.

>Are those in the GCS, or addable to it?
You can.

>but from what I saw, it seems like it's a better aid for making quick npcs than full PCs. Is this wrong?
Very wrong, but you knew that already.

>>47217000
Enhanced Defenses, Basic Set, page 51.
>>
>>47217000
Basic Set - Characters - 51

Overall taking on 5 men at once means you're surrounded and to survive that you'll need a boatload of dodge, peripherial vision/360 vision to be able to defend against back attacks and of course some extra attacks to quickly dispatch multiple enemies. After all, the more 3d6s are rolled, the more there's a chance of failure, so your objective should be to reduce the number of attacks against you as quickly as possible
>>
>>47217031
Naw man, not him. The only reason I'm a bit partial is that I'm very familiar with GCA (and I love how it lets you modify near -everything-), but I'm always up for new things.
Besides, GCS is free and more straightforward and all that jazz (probably a lot faster too), so no worries.

I'll definitely play around with it, thanks.
>>
How do I stat the ability to time travel?

Is there an easy conversion factor to turn prices from Spaceships into points for Signature Gear?
>>
>>47217132
1 point=5% of starting wealth
>>
>>47217062
>>47217031
Another completely unsolicited opinion.

From screenshots, they both look ugly, clunky, and super industrial, so I bet they both have a learning curve. Each has special pros and cons, and ways to work around the problems they have.

That said, because GCS is legit free, I learned that one and I'm sticking to it. The only thing I wish it could do, (and if I cared enough to learn the printing templates, I could probably make it do it myself)
1) Add *a lot* of empty space so I can write in new abilities/equipment earned in play (And print some numbers that are very liable to change in play very lightly or not at all)
2) And, I like the official character sheet more, so if it could generate an output closer to that, it would be nice.
>>
>>47217132
Jumper is all you need for Time Travel, though Temporal Inertia is pretty necessary and Physics with the optional specialty Temporal may be useful. The Weird may have some stuff in it for you too.

Three ways (that I know of) to get spaceships with points
1) Calculate the cost as normal and buy as signature gear.
2) Build the ship *as* a character and buy directly with points via Ally.
3) Treat the ship as a Patron; The Captain's Boat from Pyramid #3/71 introduced this concept. Here's the author's justification:
>A starship is neither gear, nor a power you can easily wield; it is a plot device for furthering the story. It’s background that describes how the group can get around and explains certain treatment by others. It lets the adventurers sightsee. The ship owner does have some control over the flow of the campaign, and there are perks to being a captain. In other words, for most purposes, a ship is really a Patron (p. B72)!
>A Patron is an individual or organization that is an advisor, employer, mentor, or protector. A ship can serve in many of these role, with its assets as a Patron tied up in the vehicle and needed supplies. Modify the cost of the Patron advantage using the Frequency of Appearance modifiers (p. B36) based on how often the ship is involved as more than a background plot device: How often is the ship more than transportation, cargo storage, pirate bait, etc.? Even in a merchant or military campaign where adventures revolve around the ship, the cost is based on how often it specifically helps the *captain.*
>For example, if you get into a tight spot and you can call your ship for an orbital strike or transporters to get you out of it, this is using vessel in its Patron capacity. Meanwhile, simply trying to find your next cargo run and using the vehicle to haul the shipment is not a use as a Patron. That is the captain and crew working, and what they get out of the trip is a function of the characters’ job roles and Wealth levels.
>>
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1710
So, this is new series they were talking about? I'm kinda dissapointed.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.