[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traditional Games, losers only?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5
File: sweater kitties.jpg (68 KB, 793x710) Image search: [Google]
sweater kitties.jpg
68 KB, 793x710
This thread is about RPG's, but you could apply it to board games and card games as well.

I live in an area that has the highest concentration of FLGS in the U.S. Many of them open early to host RPG sessions. I spent another Saturday traveling betwixt game stores, taking a look at all the different RPG groups meeting up. I was immediately reminded of all my times on roll20, all my times traveling to Gen Con, running games at my house, playing in games at others houses.

Why are RPG players so maladjusted? Bad employment, bad hygiene, difficulty in social situations, bad physical condition, bad control of emotions, extremely weak willpower against addiction.

I have well-adjusted friends, but they only want to go out hiking or to play sports, and aren't interested in "traditional" games when I try and invite them.

I just want to play or run a game with a human being who bathes, doesn't look at his phone constantly, and is able to have a conversation.

Where is my dysfunction, what am I doing wrong in my search?
>>
>>47132829

>y gaemers so gross?
>posts tit pic
>>
>>47132829
RPGs are for people who have excluded from everything else in life, it's all they have left.
>>
>>47132829
You're committing the same classic blunder that people looking for players in gamefinder threads are so fond of. That being looking to play with people that nobody else wants to play with.
Invite your coworkers or classmates, see if it sticks. People who you actually want to be around, rather than people who play X.
>>
>>47132829
Don't know mate, maybe you have bland friends. Maybe you yourself aren't charismatic and adjusted enough to persuade others into playing.

I've hardly set a foot in any gameshop and I'm forming new groups with new people left and right. Seriously.

I've formed seververal groups with serveral combinations of close friends, all objectively cool and creative people. Board games are sliding into mainstream here in Belgium, that helps.

Two other categories of people I've had success with that could help you:
Semi-nerds, those guys who are lingering on the edge of meme and cosplay twice a year but otherwise live a pretty standard life.
Art students, they are devoting their student years to creativity and story-telling, surely some of them are interested in trying something new.

Yoe know, the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling my circle of friends is awesome and I can totally be a bragging shit about it on 4chan.
>>
>>47132987
>replying to a troll seriously
>>
>>47132829
GAS THE NORMIES
BETA UPRISING NOW
>>
>>47132952
This. It's like replying to someone looking for friends on Craigslist and wondering why they're so weird.
>>
>>47132987
This, pretty much, except in the US.
>>
>>47132829
Nice kittens.
>>
>>47132829
Sage and report the bait threads.

good pic tho
>>
Saturday is the best and worst time for a thread like this.

On one hand, much of the overweight filth is out at the game stores playing, on the other, the normal people are all out doing things with their Saturdays instead of being at work on 4chan.
>>
File: 1442771882156.gif (1 MB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1442771882156.gif
1 MB, 500x600
>>47133087
Where do you go to find people?
>>
>>47133167
There's never a good time for troll threads.
>>
>>47133207
Friends.
>>
>>47133262
>troll
You keep saying that, why do you not know what that word means?

I am under the impression it doesn't mean: "Thread that makes me feel uncomfortable about myself."

>>47133308
That doesn't really fit
>Forming new grounds with new people left and right
>>
>>47133207
I'd like to taste some of her pepperoni, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>47133339
A troll thread is one made with a ludicrous premise in order to evoke a response.

If you're done here, why don't you fuck off to /mu/ and ask "Why are music listeners so maladjusted?" or /co/ and ask "Why are comic book readers so maladjusted?" or /po/ and ask "Why are origami folders so maladjusted?"

If you honestly don't think you're being a dumb troll and don't understand how obvious you are, you might want to lurk a little more before you expect people to take blog-level anecdotes seriously.
>>
>>47133433
Is it a troll thread because it's so obvious to the rest of us? Our hobby is very accepting of rejects so we have many.
>>
File: 1393216068167.jpg (874 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
1393216068167.jpg
874 KB, 1500x2000
>>47133433
Denial isn't healthy, the situation between /tg/ and people who do something general like listen to music is a vast gulf of difference.

Bad people in the hobby is a very common thread.
>>
>>47133476
>>47133479
I'm sorry, but if you actually expect me to play along, you're actually dumber than I thought.

Bottom line time? If you plan on making an unsupportable blanket statement and expecting people to get upset rather than to just call you out on being a dumb troll, you're clearly out of your element.
>>
>>47133535
>I just want to play or run a game with a human being who bathes, doesn't look at his phone constantly, and is able to have a conversation.

>Where is my dysfunction, what am I doing wrong in my search?
Seems like it could easily be legitimate. Are you doing some kind of reverse trolling where you pretend everything you read is trolling?

>expecting people to get upset
You seem very upset.
>>
>>47133601
>still trying

Is this really your first time on this board?
>>
>>47133535
>>47133628
>angry that someone pointed out obvious difficulties with /tg/
>can only think of "dumb" and "troll" as insults
>his reason for being upset becomes more and more apparent with every post
>>
>>47133628
Nope, been on /tg/ for years, I'm not really surprised that some people get triggered at the slightly implication of their inadequacy.

Just mention Pathfinder and you can see all the horror flashbacks of them being kicked from groups.
>>
>>47133642
>still trying

Who do you think you're fooling at this point?
>>
>>47133657
>slightly implication of their inadequacy.

Backpedaling at this point?
I had doubts, but I gotta say, if you're going to troll, you need to either do it all the way or not at all. This wishy-washy trolling plus damage control is just in poor taste.
>>
>>47132952
What do people do if they work in a field that doesn't have many people interested in that stuff?

It's definitely easier to find normal people that way.

>>47133657
>>47133704
Could you two fuckers just suck eachothers dick instead of not using your brains to contribute?
>>
>>47133704
What do you think was backpeddaled on?

You're being incoherent and using words incorrectly.
>>
>>47132829
>I live in an area that has the highest concentration of FLGS in the U.S. Many of them open early to host RPG sessions.

Where's that? I'm just curious.
>>
>>47133758
Obvious trolling is hardly a
>slightly implication of their inadequacy.

You might think you're being subtle, but I think that's the failure of most trolls. They think they know how far they can go without exposing that they're just trolling, but they never really do.

Next time, you might want to avoid making posts assuming that your opinionated blanket statements mean anything to anyone outside of marking you as a try-hard troll.
>>
>>47133851
You're the one who keeps saying it's trolling, so if someone else says something different than what you said, that's not backpedaling.

Search for backpedaling on Urban Dictionary, you should see my point.

Sage because damn you're stupid.
>>
>>47133771
It would probably be somewhere with a very high concentration of military, if I had to guess, San Diego(big base, high population) or virginia (largest navy base, not insanely far from largest army base)
>>
>>47132952
I couldn't agree with this more. The average guy in a game store playing magic or what have you is going to be a terrible individual. Never play RPGs with people who you wouldn't normally hang out with.
>>
>>47133902
>Traditional Games, losers only?

Let's stop playing pretend.
It's a pretty poor troll thread, running on the vain hope that people won't recognize it and will seriously respond to it angrily.

Now, your hope is to say that anyone calling out trolls is doing so because they're upset. You might be right, but not upset because of the thread taken at face value, but at your insistence at trying to troll and that you're not doing it poorly and flagrantly.
>>
>>47133910
Huh, VA has the worlds largest navy base according to google.

But the south is hell, why would they want to do that?
>>
>>47133742
They play online, though that is an experience and a half in and of itself.
>>
>>47133947
I think this is probably due to social influences. People who aren't terrible follow the social cues that keep them away from hanging out in a game store for 8 hours.
>>
ITT:

>lol i dunno about u but me & my friends r all attractive and popular nd we play RPGs
>>
>>47132987
>Yoe know, the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling my circle of friends is awesome and I can totally be a bragging shit about it on 4chan.

Fun Fact: Everyone who insists their group of friends and/or gaming group is super-amzing and the exception to the rule, is either lying or they're just an idiot for found a group of idiots and feels perfectly at home there.
>>
>>47134149
Probably not Everyone, just most people.

The point is finding people decent enough, not amazing.
>>
>>47134123
Isn't that to be expected?
>>
>>47132829
There are two online essays that explain nerd dysfunction really well:
Five Geek Social Fallacies
The Nerd Sex
>>
>>47135334
>Five Geek Social Fallacies
Huh, I expected that to be something awful, but it made more sense than I wanted it too.
>>
>I resent this accusation that nerd hobbies are filled with dysfunctional malcontents, troll. All nerds are really cool people with good hygiene and no glaring personality problems. MY MOM SAYS I'M COOL.
>>
>>47135334
>Five Geek Social Fallacies
Well, there's not paying back the debts.
But what's the other four?
>>
>>47135334
>The Nerd Sex

This is the most retarded thing anyone has ever written.
>>
>>47135438
>I resent your hyperbole
>BECAUSE I HAVE A WACKIER HYPERBOLE WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP
>>
>>47135461
I'm glad I skipped it, I had a gut feeling from the name.
>>
>>47135461
Did I find the same retarded thing? The one I saw was a "Beta males are sexually insecure and accept buttsex because they are girly."
>>
>>47135664
I can't tell if it's serious.
>>
>>47132829
>>47132829

>Bad employment

Not at all.

> Bad hygiene

Nope.

>Difficult in social situations

Maybe on in 30.

>Bad physical condition

As in fat? Maybe a little more than the average. Nothing morbid

>Bad emotional control

Nope.

> Addition

Dude what?

In short: stop baiting.
>>
>>47135961
>all posts are personally addressing me, myself and I
>I am also really good at introspection
>>
>>47135992
>still trolling

C'mon man, the jigs up. No one can take you seriously anymore.
>>
>>47135961
Y'know, the body intentionally stores up extra calories because that's what is best for it. In reality it's pretty healthy to weigh a lot, not only healthy, but beautiful, you are beautiful. Just look at the majestic and powerful hippopotamus.
>>
People that game at FLGS's are crap representation of the hobby. Why play D&D (or, god forbid, anything else) in a store where you can't drink beer, you've got random 15 year olds asking dumb questions, and the chairs are about as comfortable as church pews?

The answer is if you don't have anywhere else to game, and you're either too much of a sperg for people to invite you into their homes, or too shitty to have people over to your own place, or too new/friendless to have either option.

My usual gaming group for the last 15 years has never played outside of a home or (rarely) at a bar. The few times I've played at a FLGS - usually Pathfinder or D&D organized play - I've been surrounded by spergs. Don't rely on your FLGS as a pool of potential gamers. Convert your friends or make friends with an established group. Or put up with the spergs and sift through the trash at your FLGS until you find a few other decent people (this will take a lot of patience and trying) and then move to someones house ASAP.

Really, the FLGS is like the appendix of the hobby. All the shit and weirdness gets trapped there, because they don't have anywhere else to go.
>>
>>47136301

I think you do some FLGS a disservice.

I say some. No doubt you are correct that running a game in some FLGS is terrible.

My local store, by constrast, is pretty awesome for it. They have a dedicated gaming space on a seperate floor to the shop, so you don't have randoms pestering you, and the chairs aren't terrible. I grant you, you can't drink alcohol, but that's a minor point. I can't say I've seen many truly awful people there, but that may just be my luck.
>>
>>47136384
What game store is it?

>>47136301
You convinced me to look up what the appendix actually does.
>>
>>47133339
I make new friends Anon. I've roped roommates, people from class, people from AI Club or the Quidditch team, stuff like that.

Quidditch team is great for finding casual geeks who are interested in RPGs.
>>
>>47134037
Northern Virginia is the richest area in the entire country and us full of government buildings and politicians. In makes sense.

Fun Fact, my family bought our car from Colin Powell and our house from Newt Gingrich.
>>
>>47136427

Eclectic Games, in Reading, UK.
>>
>>47132829
Try and come up with something where you can have an open-table.

If you like closed-group story games, you're kinda SOL. The idea is that you have a roleplaying experience that people can drop and drop out of like a weekly board games night.

This potentially means running a kick in the door, take the loot dungeon crawler in a location that is ripe for exploration and won't truly be cleared.
>>
>>47136492
Hufflepuff or Gryffindor?
>>
>>47136301
A FLGS is a space with a big table, really. My old GM just used it because he worked there and all the books and dice were already there. It sounds like you're describing people playing, like, during business hours? Or at least during events? That's so fucked and strange of an idea to me that it might explain some of the dissonance I'm having with this thread. But then I've also played M:tG at stores in the area and had a good time so there's some other disconnect. I'd find it kind of hard to believe that the people I've played with are disproportionately decent people.
>>
>>47136575
It's my University's Quidditch team. Thematically, we'd be Ravenclaw but our colors are Gryffindor.
>>
>>47136557
They have tons of pictures of people playing in their gaming area.

Definitely more fat people than the average, but they don't look that terrible from pictures on the internet.
>>
>>47136635
I just looked that up, the "gender limits per team" is absolutely frightening.

What if I have more than 4 people who identify as attack helicopters?
>>
>>47132952
I can confirm that this works. After a bunch of abortive attempts at getting an RPG group together, I've started playing with a bunch of friends from uni, most of whom have never played RPGs before. It's one of, if not the best, groups I've played in.
>>
File: 1428000007722.jpg (2 MB, 2532x1784) Image search: [Google]
1428000007722.jpg
2 MB, 2532x1784
>>47132829
Well adjusted people have to constantly maintain that. Exercise, social activities, ect ect. People who play RPGs have to maintain their knowledge of the setting and rules, their freedom to play these games and learn all this information.

Neither of them are necessarily bad - just both require different things and often include differing responsibilities that people often cannot juggle at once if they want to get too deeply into either of them, and people have difficulty changing their habits and viewpoints.
>>
>>47136686

Most of the pictures are (I'd imagine) of their games nights for open board gaming (they have quite a catalogue of games to chose from), Magic, or X-Wing.

For running RPGs, they have a seperate room from the main gaming space. It's quite good.
>>
>>47132829
Theres nothing wrong with you op. Its the same situation for me. Im married, successful, in great shape, clean cut, etc. Ive realized I'll likely never be able to play a pnp rpg again. It was easy as a kid - just made friends with a couple guys that were into it, and we had a solid group for 5 years.
As an adult, its impossible.
I used to even be willing to accept the social rejects that tend to always be involved with pnp. But they are anywhere from rude to standoffish toward me, so I said fuck it.

Now I just collect rpgbooks; and play Flames of War and Infinity with some guys from work and their playgroup.
>>
>>47132921
>cleavage is gross

SJW? Fat/ugly chick? Pussified beta/virgin?
You're definitely one of these.
>>
>>47133535
Spotted the overweight, poor-hygeined, social reject.
>>
>>47137166
>Now I just collect rpgbooks
It's like a mirror...

Fuck me, and I'm planning on having a kid soon.
>>
>>47133080
Dayum. +1 that comment. Hit me like a truck.
>>
The latest wizards dnd article is about autism with DnD.

What more could be said?
>>
>>47137327
That just means you can get them hooked while they are young.
>>
>>47136735
I wouldn't know. I'm not on the team, I just go there to poach casuals.
>>
This thread is destined to have 666 posts.
>>
>>47132829
>what am I doing wrong in my search?
You're not grooming your own victims.
>>
>>47132829
Maybe you should try not looking for players at gaming stores? All the good players are either already happily playing games with other good players, or they're avoiding the places you're looking precisely because all the bad players congregate at there.
>>
>>47133408
You wanna eat her clothes?
>>
What you are doing wrong is failing to find a way to entice your well-adjusted friends into a game with you.

You need to figure out a way to sell them on it.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.