[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New gm please help.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 20150916_104201.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150916_104201.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
What do I do if a player wants to run a special snowflake that is blatantly at odds with the setting? I dont want to be an ass and tell the kid he cant have his fantasy he has to conform to mine, but I feel like if I just let him roll with it and bend to pander to him it will ruin the game.
>>
Bit more on the situation, its my buddies younger sibling. Technically speaking also an adult, only a few years younger than us, I swear hasn't matured at all since I first met them when we were preteens. The younger sibling, whom I will here after refer to as H, says they only play their predesigned characters, and that they then take and adapt them to the setting. In and of itself this doesn't sound so bad, as long as they do it well it could be k, but I know H, and H never thinks things through, and when I sat down to talk about it to try and work with him on it he described the character as having giant TechnoMagic boxing gloves. We are running a low to mid fantasy medieval game. We all knew that, and we all agreed. I talked him out of the gloves thank goodness, but im worried about where this will go. What do? How does salvage without crushing his little soul and loosing him and potentialy my best player as well.
>>
>>47128475

Saying no is often the best thing a GM can do. Saves you from having to run a game you don't enjoy. Saves them from having a play a character the GM doesn't like. Saves the other players from having to deal with that character. It's best for everybody.

Maybe he'll pout, and that's fine. He's a grown-up and you're (presumably) friends. As long as you believe it's for the best just do it. If the rest of the group disagrees they'll tell you.
>>
>>47128615
Reject any stupid shit that won't fit into the world, if he wants to go pugilist against a troupe of armed mercenaries then let him and make him understand that it's a stupid idea given the setting

Just remember that you're the GM and a good portion of the responsibility for all the fun in the campaign is on you, and you just got to be a bit pragmatic about it
Don't let an idiot ruin everyone's fun, you let him be an idiot and make everyone feel like one for playing your game, or axe his idiot ideas and only hurt one guy's widdle feewings
>>
>>47128475
Maybe he could be a construct? Warforged or golem? Get that mechanical fix so that he feels cool but also fits in? I mean maybe even a homologous of some sorts.
>>
>>47128758
Problem was that OP did mention it's a "low to mid fantasy game"
>>
>>47128475
>>47128615
Say no, don't try a back handed attempt at a learning experience as he doesn't sound like he'd take it well. Just straight up tell him no and explain the reason each time as calmly as possible. Well his characters don't have to conform to you they do need to conform to the setting.
>>
File: Why.jpg (54 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
54 KB, 560x420
>>47128769
Maybe it could be the high-mid spectrum? Or just go full retard. Pic related.
>>
>>47128758

Im sorry if I gave you the wrong idea, pic is unrelated. I am doing this from my phone and thats the best image I had.
>>
>>47128824
Hey man fuck you, that movie was bad, but it was a hella good kind of bad
>>
>>47128835
I tried to like it, but god damn. I made it all the way through though....

Anyway OP
>>47128732
>>47128620
Said it best.
>>
>>47128475
Talk it out with him, anything that you're not really happy with. Talk about how messing with the setting can impact enjoyment of both yourself and other players.

Imo, having something that you think is gonna be THAT toxic really aint worth it. Make what he wants work without it ruining the game.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.