[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell us about a time you fucked up /tg/ >D&D 5e. Playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: 1453313915780.jpg (89 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
1453313915780.jpg
89 KB, 800x532
Tell us about a time you fucked up /tg/

>D&D 5e. Playing wild magic sorceror.
>DM allowed me to have a homebrewed wild magic table with more varied effects that take place whenever I cast a spell, because the default table was a bit boring.
>In town, waiting outside tavern for the rogue to finish meeting with a contact.
>Decide to use prestidigitation to create a little fireworks display for some kids (my character liked to experiment with his abilities)
>Roll on wild magic table
>"Replace the spell you were casting with a random spell of the same level"
>Roll
>Acid Splash
>>
File: 1425701063894.gif (393 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1425701063894.gif
393 KB, 640x360
>>47128431
There was that one time my human fighter got married, but was obliged to do one last job.
The result was the biggest conflict of a millennia and he ended up becoming the BBEG of a campaign I run.
That campaign is awesome (and is ending next Wednesday).
>>
>>47128431
The funny thing is that you fucked up in a different way than you think. Reread Wild Magic Surge.
>>
>>47128493
We houseruled the wild magic surge quite a lot because the default one hardly ever happens and the effects are underwhelming at best. Our homebrewed table had a bigger variety of effects, but you rolled every time you cast a spell. It worked quite well for a 'hugely powerful but can't control it' style of character.

>>47128492
Go on. What was the job? I'm intrigued.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzpgAQpcp8o
>>
>>47128558
>>47128431
Cantrips does not count as triggering Wild Magic, or am I remembering it wrong?
>>
>>47128614
You know what, you're actually right. I've just looked it up again."Sorceror spell of 1st level or higher"

Not sure if that makes it better or worse, really.
>>
>>47128431
>D&D 5e
Could've stopped right there.
>>
>>47128822
>meme contrarian
>>
File: dontlike.jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
dontlike.jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>47128822
>>
File: 1447263025392.jpg (34 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1447263025392.jpg
34 KB, 600x450
>let's get back into MtG!
>>
An intimate relationship with a mindflayer. Biggest "Whoops!" I've ever done.
>>
File: oh go no.png (30 KB, 136x145) Image search: [Google]
oh go no.png
30 KB, 136x145
>Be on watch.
>Young Fairy dragon out of nowhere.
>Very friendly, tells me he's looking for treasure but doesn't know where any is.
>My group is chasing after a group of outlaws on the way to a ruin that probably has some treasure.
>I tell the young drake about the location of the ruin and suggest he checks it out.
>Neglect to mention dangerous cultist outlaws.
>My idea was to use the dragon as an unknowing scout to tell us what our enemies look like/how many/exact location.
>I figured that if he got into any trouble he could fly away, or use magic to avoid capture of death.
>What really happened.
>We get all the way to the ruins, no sign of the dragon anywhere
>eventually locate the outlaws, kill em.
>Investigate the room a bit more, the poor young drake's body is hacked to pieces on an alter.
>MFW

Really not my brightest moment. I imagine that if I had warned him about the outlaws maybe he wouldn't have gone or he wouldn't have done whatever got him killed.
>>
>>47128558
Okay, here we go.

>Uncle is an evil warlock, banished my my father a decade before I was born
>Basically a mob boss in a desert city two weeks south
>Sent back to my home nation (character's the leader of his tribe) to receive McGuffin we need
>Apparently underneath all the bravado and Johnny-Bravo-isms, the Fighter's actually still a good person at heart, and the McGuffin recognizes his virtue

>Travel there with fighter's new wife, who seems to be quite enthusiastic about the whole deal
>Meet up with the local guards
>Fighter wins small challenge, ends up a low-rank knight as a result
>Now the guard can actually help us out (and track us, as was later revealed).

>Go Scooby-Doo on these thugs, end up no-where
>Two of our dudes get kidnapped
>Meet up with a thief on their side, finally, make a deal with her for info
>Fighter finds out where one of the mob hideouts is, declines to tell the others because he wants to think up a plan before they go blindly charging in
>Eventually spills the beans, warning the group not to go charging in

>Obviously, the more hotheaded members of the team immediately make their way there and begin browbeating the guards, who eventually flip out
>Plan goes FUBAR and Fighter decides that since his side of it isn't going so well, he might as well keep the hotheads from dying
>>
>>47134279
*by my father

>Gnome Barbarian come out wielding dual axes
>Immediately proceeds to nearly disembowel the Fighter, the tankiest member of the group
>thefunstopshere.jpg
>Warlock is next
>Everyone is getting their asses kicked left and right, the only reason any of us live is because the town guards show up just in time

>Monk manages to break in and try to find out where the hostages are
>They're tied up, their throats were slit during the fight
>Also, the last surviving mobster sets off a warning sigil and is confronted by a new party member
>Monk flees with the captives, new party member makes a break for it
>The mob house goes up in flames, the gnome barbarian that owned it surrenders

>Eventually get cleared of assault/breaking and entering charges
>Spend the night in the clink, though
>Turns out there's a secret trapdoor leading into a dungeon underneath the mob house
>Of course, we head down there, but prepare this time
>Fighter's wife is guarding the rented rooms (and I do mean guard)

>Get down there, place is an abandoned temple of a god of time
>Find a room with a magical flame brazier and a man sitting nearby
>Stepping up to him reveals he's undead, he attacks
>After a magically-locked door, we move forwards into a room with more undead

>One of the spots of the map warned us not to go there
>Monk shoves an undead into the danger zone
>Earth elemental rises from the shattered tiles and sand and destroys the undead
>This prompts our target, the warlock, showing up with a set of animated armor
>He dispells the elemental and mocks us before dimension-dooring out and leaving us with the armor

>Armor eventually ends up smashed, but reforms around the fighter
>He's completely incapacitated
>I can't tell the other players what's actually going on
>His soul has been temporarily banished from his body due to being possessed by the armor
>The armor walks off, and the other characters are confused out of their mind
>>
>>47131963
underrated post
>>
>>47134790
>I get him to possess his magical heritage weapon on DM fiat, is able to get it to move towards his allies
>If anyone picks it up, he can talk to him that way
>But what the others hear is a bunch of metal clattering across the floor
>Not willing to risk it, they place a barrier that prevents undead (including ghostly Fighter) from entering

>Fighter eventually regains his self-control in a secret room, still can't tell the party about what's going on
>Everyone else is undergoing the vision quests triggered by the final door between them and the warlock
>The armor is gone, but he's tied down with the Warlock cursing him so he can't resist

>Fighter used as the material components of a ritual to summon the avatar of a dark god and break the barrier between planes
>This involves losing all of my blood
>Barely survive after making death saves, blank out
>Party defeats the warlock in the mean time, but can't find the fighter

>Stays in his comatose state for hours, nearly unrecognizable because of the ritual
>Wakes up in chains in the Unseelie court's side of the Feywild, freezing, half-dead, and in chains
>Turns out the party warlock made a deal with her patron for the other warlock's McGuffin
>She had lost her family as a result of making the pact, and returning the McGuffin would give her choice of family member back

>Ritual performed again, this time by the fey patron
>She plans to enslave the demon it summons
>The summoning is a success, the binding is a failure
>Fall unconscious soon after seeing party warlock flee the resulting chaos

>Wake up again, this time in ornate military uniform native to my home
>Scars all over my body
>The demon says he made a deal with my ancestors to leave the material plane for a few thousand years
>Turns out my father was adopted, but I share the bloodline in my question due to bizarre circumstances
>>
File: Overlord.jpg (39 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Overlord.jpg
39 KB, 640x400
>>47135096
>Here's the deal: He returns me to the Material Plane with sweet demon powers and I become his champion, or I find my way across dimensions myself
>Immediately start planning to make a deal with the Seelie Court
>And if I don't become his champion, he's technically entitled one from any of my family members
>Which include the warlock we just fought, a dangerous, blood-hungry rival of mine back home, and one of my wife's future children

>Wife was former assassin (long story), might be crooked enough to make the deal
>Warlock would most certainly increase in power as champion of this god as well as warlock of another, would be pissed
>Blood-hungry psychopath would destroy the continent in his rampage
>So basically I'm the best of a set of bad options

>I ask him what he wants his champion to do
>He says he wants to conquer this nation of dubious morality and unite the southern half of the known continent
>It sounds too good to be true, but I only really have the trivial choice at this point

>Seal the deal
>Become the single most powerful warrior alive
>Sent home, start making arrangements
>Turns out my nation's council was 70% in league with my evil uncle the whole time
>In my opinion the councilmen are evil

>Turns out a bunch of barbarians are actually pretty cool with having the champion of a demon command them so long as they get that hella loot
>Become the unopposed ruler over the tribes after revealing whose champion I am, and the rightful inheritor of my legendary ancestor's legacy
>Nation I'm targeting has an ongoing rebellion, I put the military might of my nation behind it
>This breaks several dozen treaties and pits me against the nearby orcs, too
>Don't care

>Hide my new nature from the rest of the party when they finally show up using makeup
>Wife doesn't mind, just happy I'm alive, stays with me when the party goes
>MFW I'm the evil overlord
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.