[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have your characters ever been complicit in a genocide? Non-human
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: Snip20150601_15-576x318.png (183 KB, 576x318) Image search: [Google]
Snip20150601_15-576x318.png
183 KB, 576x318
Have your characters ever been complicit in a genocide?

Non-human groups included.
>>
>>47127157
Have done, will do, and shall keep doing
>>
>>47127157
Not on purpose. We've ended the world due to failure or success a couple of times though. It's more of a nasty side effect.
>>
>>47127157
Try playing any of the 40k RPGs and NOT be involved in genocide..
>>
>>47127157

Yep. Exterminated Hill Giant and Mountain Giant tribes.
>>
>>47127157
My Lawful Good paladin witnessed the invasion and desecration of entire countries, cities burned to the ground, families cut down like cattle.

He gathered survivors, recruited from the lowliest brigands and the filthiest of beggars offering redemption and a new life, and trained them into an army of paladins and clerics in service of the sun god. Using his newly trained and fanatically devoted followers as an honor guard and vanguard around which to gather more troops, he liberated the cities of the conquered homelands and became the de facto ruler with the title of Lord General of the holy army (and later becoming king proper) and personally lead the gathered forces of the free world, gathered from the tattered resistances and survivors of the occupation, and put the orkish and dragonborn lands to the torch.

It was customary to gather any survivors and offer them forgiveness if they repent from their dark draconic gods. Those were beheaded quickly as fellow believers and buried with our own dead. Those who refused were burned at the stake, often in view of a city or fortress we were sieging if applicable, and hunted down and killed each of the ancient dragons they worshiped as gods, collecting their skulls as ornaments on our siege engines.

In the end, we Deus Vult our way all the way to their capital after a nearly decade long crusade, where the spellcaster cast Meteor Swarm on the city before vowing his prestigious academy (which was used mostly for training warmages) would never teach this power to anyone, and that he would take the knowledge of such power to his grave. We then invaded the burning remains, which was mostly fortresses and draconic monasteries at that point, before killing the last of their dragon masters.

I am fairly certain orcs and dragonborn are both either extinct or frighteningly rare and widely despised now. My paladin ruled as king, creating one of the largest empires in recorded history before dying of old age in his sleep.
>>
File: BaseDeltaZero.jpg (45 KB, 372x528) Image search: [Google]
BaseDeltaZero.jpg
45 KB, 372x528
As a Rogue Trader ordered (and carried out) a lance strike on a city of 50k+ humans because their leaders tried to kill my group and called my bluff.

I also sold a world full of exodite Eldar into slavery (or worse?) to the Stryxis for a huge haul of misc treasure.

Do those count?

>>47127224

Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>47127365
Genocide can be Lawful Good. But only if it was a mistake
>>
>>47127157
We failed to save the elf kingdom from getting eaten. Does that count?
>>
>>47127386
When my party played Rogue Trader we played it in a noble bright way for the most part. It was actually pretty challenging at times.
>>
>>47127417

So did we, but A) the humans were heathens and refused our attempts to introduce the Emperor's Light to them. They had it coming, really, the entire city had become a riotous mob trying to kill the landing party. B) the Eldar are Xenos, not people, duh.
>>
>>47127365

Epic, Edgy, I like it!
>>
>>47127442
I agree xenos don't count and it's noblebright to deal with them anyway possible
>>
File: 1353016231047.jpg (19 KB, 264x319) Image search: [Google]
1353016231047.jpg
19 KB, 264x319
>>47127157
We used a defunct space mine in our cargo hold to destabilize a space station in orbit over a rather populous city in the star wars d20.

But I mean does a catastrophe really count as a genocide? It's not as intentional and calculated.
>>
>>47127387
By the end of the campaign, we were all lvl 20. My paladin had a literal glowing halo, a charisma of 24, and caused discomfort to sources of evil with his mere presence. He was more or less the God Emperor minus the immortality. I assure you, it was no mistake, it was Deus Vult. (literally, in this case. The Communion spell really helps out with these kinds of situations.)

It should be noted, however, that we recruited many races from within the enemy homelands into our army as we went, all gleefully devoting their efforts into our service to put a stop to the oppression they otherwise faced. We saved a Bullywug village at once point even, and let them live in the sewers of our cities, which they apparently liked much more than just living in the actual city, and we welcomed many tribes of centaurs to feed on the bountiful harvests of our grasslands, as well as recruiting several rock golems, and an enchanted werebear, although the golems were essentially big, deadly babies that became attached to the party and the bear decided to follow me around because he respected my martial skills.

We also genocided the gnolls. The ents were unhappy with us at first but we explained the situation and put out the fires and they decided it was worth it to have a few burnt trees to not need to worry about gnolls ever again.
>>
>>47127157
Yup, but they tried to do it to us first so it all worked out.
>>
>>47127157
Yes, and in fact was a primary instigator of it. Of course the victims went all genocidal mode on HIS peoe a few decades earlier, and heciewed it as just repayment.
>>
We accidentally a supernova, but it was better than the alternative of letting them leave their solar system and infect everyone else to death.
>>
Our DM put us in a Call of Cthulhu campaign where we had to get to the bottom of some cultist shenanigans. I'll just say that our group didn't really go along with all of our DM's hints and were sorely unprepared when we realized the cult opened a portal that would swallow up the entirety of New York City in order for Nyarlathotep to create another avatar on Earth.
Our genius "plan" was to lead an army of fishmen that we accidentally befriended into the portal to plug it up.
In reality, all we did was feed the portal an alternative source of bodies, so I suppose we did technically save the city. However, after being fed, the portal shrunk in size and gained human shape. Our DM described the man the portal became... It was fucking Hitler. Then he teleported away to I assume Germany, and that was the end of the game.
So basically my party instigated the Holocaust due to our inability to defeat the final boss.
>>
File: 7982464345_de8cfcbbf0_b.jpg (152 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
7982464345_de8cfcbbf0_b.jpg
152 KB, 700x520
>>47127224
Hahahaha 40k Genocides can be the most fun

>Dark Heresy session with an inexperienced GM
>Discover heresy on a decently fleshed out planet
>Contact our inquisitor
>Pass difficult fellowship test and convince him exterminatus is necessary
>spend the rest of the session trying to escape before exterminatus
That was such a dick move, it pretty much meant we didn't have to do any real investigating beyond "Yup, that's Heresy."

>rogue trader
>Find uncontacted feudal world that has a caste system similar to the Tau but more overtly brutal (this was a way of making a stab at our group's Tau fan-boy)
>They are obviously heretical in every level (ruling class was Slanesh, warrior class was Khorne, working class was a mix of Nurgle and Tzentch) and to top it all off their leader was actually an AI..
>do some quests for them and equip their military with lasguns to help them fight feudal orks better.
>Orbital Strike on the Ork capital (first genocide)
>Planet pays us handsomely but refuses to come to Imperial compliance
>call up the inquisitior we have on speed dial
>exterminatus (second genocide)
>>
>>47127820

Actually, this happens in the Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep. A minor character is a German occultist who's following up on rumors that "A great champion of the Volk will soon emerge", but he doesn't know who it is.

The game states that if he's killed, there's a chance Nyarlathotep will revive him. Because the Elder Gods have plans for him. (Surprisingly, he's neither insane nor a cultist.)
>>
>>47127846
Well now I know where he got the idea from...
DM's really good at having background knowledge of everything so there's no way that's just coincidence...
>>
File: PCs have been here.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
PCs have been here.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
>>47127157
The number of mass graves my party has had to dig is frankly getting ridiculous.

But if that is the cost of cleansing the earth of knife eared bastards, so be it.
>>
>>47130440
It's just you
>>
>>47127157
Temporally, sort of? We had some troubles with Drow, and at one point down the line managed to time travel back centuries into the past. While we were in the ancient equivalent of our general adventuring area we drummed up a lot of hatred for those dark elves and got everyone to drive them off the continent. When we returned to our timeline Drow had always lived on a small island far away.
>>
My characters have never not been complicit in a genocide.

Ever had an NPC paying for kill trophies on sapients? Orc ears, that kind of thing?

Cause that's genocide. Yeah, orcs are bad and all but being a justified action doesn't make it not genocide.
>>
>>47127365

So, you were dealing with old-school orcs?
>>
Does it count if I'm still actively pursuing the genocidal event?

In our current campaign, the Big Bad supposedly has some sort of super-weapon relic from the Old War, capable of creating magical plagues and glassing cities. Specifically, according to historical accounts, the evil wizard who used the relic before turned one city into a literal dead zone, made a second into what's now the Sea of Glass, and nearly succeeded in killing every human who wasn't 'purified' with a soul-devouring plague.

I've not only made it fairly bloody obvious, I've actually come right out and said, in-character, that if my character gets his hands on that relic, he's planning to figure out the trick with the soul-plague and turn it on the entire Drakhan race, wiping every last one of them out.

In fairness, though, the Drakhan are basically the descendants of the setting's version of not!Nazi not!Dragonborn created by Adolf von Franken-Hitler, and my character's of the artificially created Perfect Slave Race Franken-Hitler made for his Drakhan to lord over. So there's just a wee bit of animosity there.
>>
>>47127157
Nah. The biggest kill count I've had as a player was, like, murdering two hundred barbarians with a cloud kill equivalent in a gonzo game.
>>
>>47127157
Yes, it's kind of a long story but the the gist of it is
>Modern game
>Transported to another world
>Humans are divided into 3 sub-races. Air people, Nomads and Sea people.
>Nomads are like Native Americans pretty much, Sea people are basically murlocs and air people are smug twats
>Sea and air people are harvesting nomad souls to power their various nefarious devices
>We kill the shit our of the sea and air people
Simple as that really, though genocide was not our main objective.
>>
>>47127157
The fuck is Darfur?
>>
I did once convert a load of prisons to run on a complicated honour duelling system. What the party affectionately referred to as my "death camps" were ultimately mostly responsible for the deaths of about 2.5% of the population of a world, but it my defence I still hold that this was a fairer system than having the barbarian character kill 2.5% of the worlds population by the selection method of just running through the countryside with his meat grinder arms outstretched and checking who was too slow to dodge.
>>
>>47131634
its an African thing, don't worry about it
>>
>>47127224
Let's be honest, with the scale and firepower of 40k, most of the times it is not genocide. It is more like massive negligent manslaughting. It is not intentional, just a sad byproduct.
>>
>>47127157
She's a a quest to kill everyone that is a threat to her home.
This happens to include nearly every human she has come across, and every dwarf.

She's planning out the genocide of the largest city she knows at present whilst the rest of the group is trying to talk her down simply because once you do that you attract all the wrong attention.
But if we were to introduce a plague to the city instead...

Most the time, however, they would be against it for everything from moral and idealistic reasons of even pragmatic 'to much waste'.
I even played a Sorceress once who was so against it, she even found a way to have a race of soul-eating demons live in peace with humanity.
It even lasted a generation before it broke down due to third-party tampering.
>>
One player from a past game created basically the Skaven in a rather magical realm way, for which was responsible of the killing of everything else within a wide berth of their point of origin. As such we took it upon ourselves to put an end to the threat, and had to genocide the new race for the safety of the realm and possibly the world.
>>
>>47127157
Not really a genocide, but I was in a PF game once where we wiped out a goblin camp after they raided a town. Turns out they just broke into a clothing shop to steal a wedding dress for their queen who was getting married to some other goblin chieftain. Felt kinda bad. Of course, two goblin tribes uniting could only cause bigger shit. Plus, the severed hands on pikes around their camp helped ease our conscience.
>>
In a long-running Star Wars campaign, not long ago I took out an enemy warship's sublight engines while it was in low orbit of a planet, it crashed into a city and killed 200,000 people.
They were on our side.
>>
>>47127157
I hate that pic as it implies that all of those atrocities were committed by the same, singular group.
Every single one was by a different group and more then half of them were done by the victors so they record it as being one of the greatest things they had ever done.
>>
>>47127157
>Never Again on every gravestone
>except Dardur
What did they mean by this?
>>
File: Heroes of humanity.jpg (344 KB, 1206x1144) Image search: [Google]
Heroes of humanity.jpg
344 KB, 1206x1144
>>47132319
Apparently it's not yet done.
Do they cant put a finishing year on it and the "Nevermore" text on it.

Also related to thread, not my story but i picked it up elsewhere.
>>
>>47127157
Sold a military grade holo core to an outer rim cheven planet for a quick buck, they screwed me on the price and I failed a barter roll so I don't even feel bad that it contained a crazed AI hellbent on revenge against the people who left it to go insane over 300 years.

We found out that half the outer rim was going through a terminator style genocide right around the time we were making a deal with a disembodied sith lord to find him a force sensitive body to posess and use to enslave the local system, we were promised sick sith alchemy enchantments so my evil neutral Feeorin pirate with a shitty int roll couldn't exactly say no.
>>
>>47131634
Exactly
>>
>>47131634
A region bordering egypt and Sudan, Sudanese shitheads keep burning down villages, and nobody is doing shit about it, Ethiopa has voiced token support but is dealing with Internal stuff, Egypt ain't doing shit and everyone in the south is pretending its not happening. Mind you there's also central African shit that's been going on in the seventies and I ain't even gonna fucking touch Somalia.
>>
>>47127157
Nanking seems very out of place there.
>>
>>47131634
Africa is a shit hole continent full of retards who can't effectively govern themselves so they just kill and burn anything they don't agree with
>>
RPGs are power escapism to the point that I doubt anyone's ever turned down the opportunity to commit genocide as a convenient or satisfying thing. I could make a thread asking for examples of PCs that didn't commit genocide of a hostile or undesirable race when the chance presented itself and I'm reasonable sure it would drop off the board with no replies. I could make a thread asking for examples of PCs actively preventing or rebuking genocide of a hostile or undesirable race and I'm pretty sure I'd get 40 posts calling me a feminist somehow.
>>
>>47127157
as far as heavy casualties go there are 2 occasions that come into mind

the first on being that we incited the oppressed non human population of a city into a full scale revolution just to spring our non human party members from jail

and the other was when we purged all evil from what was basically the fantasy equivalent of detroit
>>
>>47138658
Goddamnit why do all you people want power in your escapism

I just want a nice time, a warm fire, some simple problems, and a fantastical world to explore.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.