[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
Me and my friends are about to get into warhammer 40k, anyone have any tips, anecdotes, or want to explain the basic rules? I'm just excited to start because it looks fun as shit.
>>
>>47102823
>have any tips
Don't.
>>
>>47102848
This. Tbqh pham
>>
>>47102823
>have any tips
Make sure that this is the wargame that you truly want to play, there's other far cheaper and less time intensive options.
>>
Pick an army you like aesthetically or playwise, not because people say it plays great. The Meta changes every few years when new rules drop and a lot of the armies are fully playable, especially when playing against friends.

Get a small army to start out. Don't try to overwhelm yourself with too many models or you'll end up never painting it all.

Try out Kill Team (small points) or Border Patrol (300-500 points).

Learn the rules you'll use first, don't overwhelm yourself with all of them. After, learn your opponents rules. Then slowly branch out.

And have fun.
>>
>>47102823
beware the slippery slope anon you're going to soon realize that if you get a certain unit to counter your friend's army then he'll do the same then you'll realize that you're 4000 points in the hole
>>
>>47102823
>it looks fun as shit.
Prepare for disappointment.
>>
>>47105349
Could be worse, he could be interested in warmachine back in mark 2
>implying mark 3 will actually breath life in that stale ass game
>>
>Me and my friends.
Well first of all are any of those guys going Tau or Eldar? That's no fun allowed. Both armies are considered very strong compared to everyone else.

Are you going to build another boring as fuck Space Marine army? That's no fun allowed. If you have a group of 5 friends, 2 will usually go Marines, they're the most popular and as such get the most releases because their products actually move.

Are you going to actually try playing the game? That's no fun allowed. 40k is a very poor ruleset that has suffered under bloat and nonsensical rulings for several years. To give you a clear idea on just how fucking broken the game is they just released a FAQ that is longer than some of the army books.

Are you going to try to play sub par rulesets because you can't afford a full collection of toys (by that I mean play kill-team). That's no fun allowed, and there's better games you could play for the same investment. Besides the fact that Kill-team is a dumbed down ruleset devised from an already dumbed down ruleset you have a recipe for some terrible gaming.

Are you rich? If not that's no fun allowed. 40k is sadly one of the most expensive games on the market. You can get a box of 10 guys for like $2 a guy but you'll soon realize you need about 100 of those+tanks+characters+options+whatever else to actually play the game. Also heaven forbid one of your friends buy a super heavy and starts an arms race/escalation where you all try to one u each other because that's part of the GW business strategy.
>>
>>47105378
At least PP support their tournament scene and are supposedly working to make the game better instead of just figuring out ways to make you buy 6 knight kits.
>>
>>47102823
>tips

Ignore or put up with the online community's exaggerated, unnecessary, and overblown negativity.

>basic rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH7jGrXlTQ

It's outdated by two editions but the basic mechanics remain the same. You build an army to fight another army, and then you take turns where you move your guys around, choose who to shoot at, roll some dice to see if you hit, roll some dice to see if they take damage, and then they roll some dice to see if their armor saves them. You can also roll dice to charge into melee and then you both roll dice to smack each other around.

My best advice to you is to buy the models you like, have fun, and enjoy your army the way you envision it to be, not what people tell you to do. Hold on to your excitement and enthusiasm and use it to have fun games and paint the army you want to see come to life.

This is one of the worst places to ask for advice, whether you're new or a veteran, since if you're new you'll just get whiny grognards, and if you're a veteran, you'll just get outdated, ignorant advice from bad players playing weak armies.
>>
>>47105806

Also never buy from GW's online store unless you have to. You can get new GW products at 20% off from third party stores online, or support your local game store instead. You can also buy relatively cheap on eBay, especially if used.

And if your paintjob isn't as good as you expected, just have patience and practice. If the paint is going on too thickly, remember to thin it down with some water. Painting is 90% practice and patience. One Golden Daemon painting competition winner went from zero art experience to world class skill in one year just by painting all year long, trying new things, and not giving up. Skill is only a small part of the equation.
>>
>>47105378
And yet it's still more mechanically sound than 40k.
>>
>>47105484
>>47105899

Look at all these pathetic Warmafags pouring into a 40k thread.

Mk 2 wasn't even that bad, you guys probably just played some shitty army like Khador Manowar heavy jack spam.
>>
>>47106039
Warmachine isn't neccesarily a good game, it is just a less bad option. Infinity on the other hand has truly good rules and tournament support, and is cheaper to play than either game.
>>
File: 1461776806670.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2500) Image search: [Google]
1461776806670.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2500
>>47102823

Don't
>>
Yes, play Epic instead of the actual game. Anything made by a company that actually gives a shit is a better idea really.
>>
>>47106039
I don't even play warmachine, have never played warmachine and own zero PP models.

That being said if you say something retarded, I'll refute it.

>>47106145
I would argue ITS is worse than the PP Tournament system due to Kurwa abuse and stuff like that. They're trying to make it better but Ariadna is still super fucking strong and the 20 orders minimum doesn't make things super cheap on that end.
>>
>>47106189
>That being said if you say something retarded, I'll refute it.
>by talking about Warmachine which I have never played and have no experience on

Talk about saying retarded stuff.
>>
My tip is don't take any tips from /tg/. They're all cynical grizzled veterans who forget the feeling of cracking open your very first box.

Play what you want, paint what you want, invent house rules (that your friends agree to) whenever you want, and have a cracking good time. That's literally it. Enjoy it. Wanna play Grey Knights? Do it. Wanna play Eldar? Do it. Wanna play a Space Marine Chapter that summons Daemons? Do it.

Just fucking have fun. Its your hobby.
>>
>>47106215
Oh you're a problem child who can't follow a conversation, here I'll break it down for you;

Header: I want to get into 40k!
>it looks fun as shit.
Reply: Prepare for disappointment.
>Could be worse, he could be interested in warmachine back in mark 2
Infering that warmachine mark 2 is worse than 40k.
Which I refute with this statement;
>At least PP support their tournament scene and are supposedly working to make the game better instead of just figuring out ways to make you buy 6 knight kits.
Which is true. PP do support their tournament scene and most of the colossals aren't good enough to make it worth tailoring a list around them.

You're welcome my retarded friend.
>>
>>47102823
>Me and my friends are about to get into warhammer 40k, anyone have any tips, anecdotes, or want to explain the basic rules? I'm just excited to start because it looks fun as shit.

Don't. The models only get more expensive and the rules only get worse.
>>
>>47106270

Except it's not true. Warmachine is infantry dominated, so it gets even more expensive than 40k at times. And to "fix" bad units you have to buy an UA, which is more shit to buy. Go look at what it costs to build Black Dragons and tell me you're not full of shit.

You'd know this if you, I don't know, PLAYED Warmachine. So maybe you shouldn't talk until you have.
>>
>>47106270
>I don't even play warmachine, have never played warmachine and own zero PP models.
>constantly talks about warmachine
>constantly calls other things and people retarded

No one needs help from a retard like you.
>>
Don't do it bruh.

Waste of time and money and everyone I met as a result was a smelly asshole anyway.
>>
>>47106264

This, basically. I don't play 40k anymore, but some of my fondest memories are of me and my friends going balls to the wall with our crazy lists with retarded made-up fluff and insane house-rules.

I personally don't think 40k translates well to a super cereal competitive game. But as a good beer 'n pretzels game? You bet. It can be a hell of a lot of fun. Albeit, expensive fun, but still.
>>
>>47106306
Only Khador is really infantry dominated though, the thing that makes or breaks most lists right now are the Solos.
>Black Dragons, another Khador unit.
lel

CoC has tons of robots.
Most Oroboros lists have maybe 1 infantry unit plus some stones and such.
Skorne and Gators are heavily beast focused
etc.

Also are you implying that you have to play a game or spend money on it to know about it?
Cause these games publish a lot of written material. I know this may be wild for you to hear, but you can just read the books and get an idea of a game like that.

>>47106324
>2 comments
>constant
lel 40kuck
>>
>>47102823

5 year vet here, my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you're choosing an army you both like the look of, and even more importantly like the story or "fluff" of.

Do your homework, read through the 40kwiki and lexicanum articles. Find the army that really calls to you, and go with that.

If you or any of your friends decide to start Space Marines, the best starter box is the Betrayal at Calth game, not the "Start Collecting" box by any stretch, try to split the box with a friend if you both are playing marines.

Also, if you like Marines make sure you read up on each of the 18 original Legions, especially if you are going the Betrayal at Calth route.
>>
>>47102823

If you like the models, collect the models. If you like Warhammer, play any Warhammer game not published by GW. If you want a good wargame, look for something else.
>>
>>47106332

You should try playing with friends, if you have any.
>>
>>47106419
> expensive
> he doesn't buy chinese
Come on, friend. Does ANYONE actually buy from legit GW anymore?
>>
>>47106461
Entirely agree with this. I own a ton of Chaos Daemons. They are gnarly looking kits that satisfy my desire for gribblies. I use them entirely in Kings of War though, which is actually playtested. Kill Team is probably the best idea for using 40K models but not wanting to deal with 40K's bullshit.
>>
>>47106496

I sure as hell don't. I got a whole chincast mechanicum army.

I even know 2 GW managers that buy from china.
>>
>>47106496
>Does ANYONE actually buy from legit GW anymore?
Well, couple guys in China.
>>
>>47106588
Who buy one box and then copy it a thousand times lmao
>>
>>47105464
Different guy but I want to do Space Marine infantry and drop pods with Imperial Guard Vehicle support.

That's fun allowed right?
>>
>>47106682
Anything you think is fun is, in fact, no fun allowed.

Seriously though, do whatever you want. Sounds cool enough. Drop Pods are A-level shenanigans, though. I love my two, and I want to get two or three more.
>>
>>47106682
The only way to win is to be goofy and have a good time.
So yea that would fall under the fun tolerances for 40k.
>>
>>47106736
>>47106737

That's all I'm really going for is fluff and fun, I just like the idea of the guard holding a line while space marines do their thing

I kinda worry that my friend who's building Skitarii for fun who just so happens to have a bunch of cheesy units might just pummel me out of playing.
>>
>>47106783
Reminder that Terminator-armoured models can now pop on into Drop Pod.

Whack a five-man Terminator-armoured Librarius Conclave into a Pod, give them Storm Shields, hope they get the bullshit 're-roll ALL saves' power and watch your opponent just crumple.

Yes, yes, I know they could Teleport Deep Strike, but that has a higher chance of fucking up, and Drop Pods mean they can come in Turn One.
>>
File: 1457063750646.jpg (804 KB, 924x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457063750646.jpg
804 KB, 924x1200
If you're going to play a marine army play 30k instead. Rules are actually balanced and almost every army is playable. You can even get away with some fluffy lists depending on the campaigns people put together. Battle of calth box is modestly priced and gives you everything you need to get started. You can even get one off forgeworld that includes all the legion specific power armor bits for a little more mula. Otherwise, I would avoid regular 40k due to it being an eldar and tau wank fest.
>>
>>47106871
Plus; Zone Mortalis is easy to make a board for and is pretty fun.
>>
>>47106783

Infantry and Drop Pods? Take two squads devastators and two assault squads. If your AdMech buddy runs a fair list too, run them as-is, but if he wants to be cheesy, bring the drop pods and do the Skyhammer maneuver.
>>
>>47105484
> playing wargame tournaments
> never heard of chess
>>
>>47105484

Pretty sure most 40k tournaments don't allow that many super-heavies
>>
>>47107285
Official GW Tournaments don't exist anymore. It was more a comment on their respective business strategies.

PP wants a tight game you can play in a tournament environment.

GW wants you to buy more plastic crack.
>>
>>47107219
Skyhammer maneuver?
>>
File: skyhammer.jpg (122 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
skyhammer.jpg
122 KB, 720x960
>>47107508
New formation
>>
>>47106904

ZM isn't exclusive to 30k you stupid faggot. God you 30kfags whine about BaC newfags but you dumbasses who didn't even know about ZM until 30k are even worse.
>>
Look into other ones first, 40k is a really poor game that's only endurable if you love the setting or have never played any other game so you don't know what you're missing
>>
>>47102823
BUILD AND PAINT YOUR PLASTIC SHIT BEFORE BUYING MORE PLASTIC SHIT, SO AS TO REDUCE YOUR BACKLOG OF PLASTIC SHIT.
>>
>>47110703
This, So much of this.
>>
>>47110703
Solution: Don't buy shit.
Buy metal instead.
>>
>>47110703
I keep painting, but the pile is "there" taunting me......
>>
>>47102823
I've been painting these figures and meaning to get into playing for years. A little while ago I started playing for the first time. After about 5-10 games I was very disappointed with this game. I still paint the miniatures but I stopped playing because I just didn't enjoy it. Historical wargames are much cheaper, have many more options and in my opinion are more fun. I'd only get these if you're really attracted to some of the miniatures.
>>
>>47110703
>>47110703
Don't listen to this man OP.

Legend states that if you finish your backlog, you die. You don't want to die, do you?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.