[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how many of you play with a group IRL?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: Hj6IGqT.png (70 KB, 400x342) Image search: [Google]
Hj6IGqT.png
70 KB, 400x342
So how many of you play with a group IRL?
>>
>>47100639
New group meets literally in 3 hours.

Normal group every Sunday night.
>>
File: митмитм.png (551 KB, 1264x725) Image search: [Google]
митмитм.png
551 KB, 1264x725
You can play outside of real life?
>>
I do, we play every Saturday. One guy skypes in but we have a good set up.
>>
Yep, we have a group of around 5 and we meet every week. Is this unusual on /tg/? I assumed this was the norm.
>>
I group of 6, one being the DM.
>>
>>47100660
Yeah but you lose everything that makes the hobby fun.
>>
>>47100847
>>47100730
>>47100663
>>47100659
This is honestly not what I expected.
>>
>>47100919
What did you expect, exactly? Isnt this the norm? My ikrpg has been going strong a year now.
>>
>>47100639
I play with 4 others every saturday, not in love with the group, and imagine I'd be able to find more likeminded people online, but i like being there physically with everyone
>>
>>47100958
I expected it to be a bit like other 4chan boards. Full of people who prefer solitude and don't like meeting people IRL.
>>
>>47100991
I get that. I think a big part of it is how people are introduced to tabletop rpgs. I wouldnt be surprised if online rp expanded much further with this next generation, where it wasnt so easy with some of ours.
>>
>>47100991
I prefer solitude and rarely go out without a good reason. Still I´ve got a cute girlfriend, two cats, and six man strong group where I´m the GM.

Tomorrow I´m running another game for my girlfriend and a couple other friends, all of them rather or completely new to the whole thing.

I´m also preparing a game through chat with some /tg/ anons. We´ll probably start in a few days to a couple weeks.
>>
>>47100639
I do, usually on fridays.
>>
I avoid online play just in case it's better. Then I'd never want to back to tabletop groups.
>>
>>47100847
Oh and I have a small group of two maybe three really soon
>>
Been playing D&D in-person for the majority of the 5-ish years i've played. Play online now, however, as GM is in a different city. But will still play in-person when he visits.
>>
>>47100639
Every other wednesday
>>
I play on Skype Saturday nights right now. New game on Sunday starting IRL in a couple weeks. Hoping to run one some weeknight starting in a few weeks for fellow grad students.
>>
>>47100639
I prefer online, since it removes travel as an issue, and I'm in several groups. Every time I try setting up a meatspace game it's like pulling teeth to organize everyone, so fuck it - I have people online who actually WANT to play.
>>
I'm pretty lucky, I get to play with two different groups every week. Playing Call of Cthulhu and Exalted 3e atm
>>
>>47100991
You're right, but I still have friends I see on occasion. Game night is pretty much the only time we all hang out together. It's the one social thing I enjoy doing and it gives me a sense of stability.
>>
File: 1445377180078.jpg (38 KB, 409x406) Image search: [Google]
1445377180078.jpg
38 KB, 409x406
>>47100991
>tfw only ever get out to go to class and play D&D
>start playing Magic as well with the guys on my floor
>literally all they do is shout whenever ANYTHING HAPPENS
If I didn't have TRPGs through high school as a social outlet I'd probably be a lot more maladjusted than I am now. I find myself wondering a lot if I would even have friends without it.
>>
Every fourth Saturday, from noon till about 4 am usually.
>>
>>47100639
Officially have an IRL group again for the first time in like 2 years as of a few weeks ago, and it's great.

My online GM tries but desu online roleplay RPGs suck dick, it sucks like 90% of the fun and energy out of it. No substitute for playing in person
>>
Reporting in. I'm in 3 different regular RL groups at the moment. Haven't been in this many since university!
>>
File: pic1827785_md.jpg (67 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
pic1827785_md.jpg
67 KB, 500x333
>>47100639

I cant get the right feels when I play online or at a FLGS.

People end up playing Vidya and giving the campaign very little attention when playing online

Too noisy at the FLGS and people will approach players to talk about MTG or some shit.

I'll usually run games at my house where I can time dinner to an appropriate time in the sitting and where I can control the thematic music.
>>
>>47106403
>computer's broke, so end up going to a 24 hour computer lab
>get friends passing through sometimes who disbelievingly ask if I've been there all day

There's just nothing else I really want to do.
>>
File: 1367976495060.jpg (80 KB, 720x924) Image search: [Google]
1367976495060.jpg
80 KB, 720x924
>>47107462
>leave room to microwave ramen in the lounge
>a girl is there with her boyfriend, I had class with her last semester
>"Oh hey Anon! I never see you outside!"
>"Y-yeah. I don't go out much."
>silence
>What did she expect me to say?
>finish heating noodles, return to dorm
>start prepping afternoon's campaign while browsing microwaves on amazon
>>
>>47100639
Two groups.
>>
Yeah, no. I'm in a pretty densely populated part of my state but there's not a single game shop in the town I live in or nearest city. I think there's one in the capital but I'm not driving 45 minutes each way on the highway at rush hour and then night every week to awkwardly game with strangers. Absolutely NO ONE I know personally gives a shit about tabletop, so can't just start a game with friends either.

So I play online and it's plenty fun. Managed to build a pretty good group to play with over the past few years and had some great games. I'm sure it lacks the intimacy of playing in person, but that's just not an option for me and a SHITLOAD of people.
>>
My RL group meets Monday evenings for a couple of hours. Online group meets Tuesday. Then I have the one-on-one game with my wife, which starts whenever she starts talking in-character, without warning.
>>
I play every Friday with my friends and brother, my girlfriend used to play but now she usually is working. About three of us will take turns DMing. My group is awesome.
>>
File: 5165161.gif (1 MB, 245x135) Image search: [Google]
5165161.gif
1 MB, 245x135
>>47100639
No I do not. I was introduced into D&D with my friends on skype and we play semi-regularly on roll20. Shit's pretty great.

I don't play in real life because playing online is free with all the pdf's everywhere; otherwise I'd have to buy dice and whatever else is needed and I'm a cheap ass. Another reason Is because I have chronic bronchitis which makes me cough up phlegm like an old smoker coughs up tar. I don't want to be the annoying faggot who coughs a lot and has to have a bucket to spit in grossing out the other players. At least online I can mute myself so i don't bother anyone.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 556x407) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 556x407
>>47100639
>tfw have an interest in tabletop games in general
>tfw not socially maladjusted
>tfw this thread seems so comfy
>tfw will never have enough time or money to do it because my main hobby sucks all my money up

Fuck.
>>
>>47100639
I'm running an online game, but I can never get an IRL group running. I've just never known anyone else that's already familiar with them in person.
>>
>>47100639
I currently run GURPS 4 and Pathfinder for separate groups, although I run both one shot games in other systems and regularly run Pathfinder Society locally so other people without a dedicated group or schedule can still play.
>>
File: greengrocer.jpg (17 KB, 514x344) Image search: [Google]
greengrocer.jpg
17 KB, 514x344
>>
>>47100639
Aye. Never played online, actually. Wouldn't feel right, in my opinion.
>>
>>47100639
I do. Once a week for about three to three and a half hours.
>>
>>47100663
Oh shit are you guys in Cali? Are you my group?
>>
>>47100639
I play with a group of about 11 people, but there are really only 8 core members besides myself. We used to play twice a week, friday and saturday nights, with one game being run by me and another by my game's wizard, but I had to move so we dropped my session for now, and I skype in for the saturday games.
>>
group of myself and three friends, me being the (bad) GM

two friends also occasionally join in. We have fun but I honestly don't enjoy GM'ing, especially not after like eight sessions now

None of my friends really seem to be interested in GMing so when I get sick of it (which will be soon) either someone else will dm or we won't play I guess.
>>
>>47108775
If you´re in a mildly densely populated area, you HAVE people playing this stuff around you. The problem is getting to find them.

Check well the internet. It´s likely that there´s some tiny forum that they use to communicate. Learn a little about searching obscure stuff in Google and keep trying.

If not, there´s a good bunch of USA-wide catalogues where you can sign up, or at least take a look and see if there´s anyone from your area already in.

If not, consider areas of interest. A huge portion of /tg/ folk are in the university, or into reading. Is there a university where you live? If so, put some adds around. Also in the library, which should have a cork panel for people´s adds.
>>
>>47107439
I had that iron fence mask.
>>
>>47100639

I'm just here for the memes anon.
>>
>>47108117
>start prepping afternoon's campaign while browsing microwaves on amazon
You, sir, are a true Game Master. I tip my wizard hat to you.
>>
>>47111337
I did look online and found a forum for people in my town....that hadn't been posted on in 4 years. Libraries around here are dead and the local college only plays Magic. I really did look around and the only chance I'd have for RL play is at least the next city over. Not worth it for a game, especially with strangers.
>>
>>47100639
Used to for two years, had a falling out over how to play the campaign, tried online group, decided I didn't fit in for the same reason, now I hate rollplays and I'm just here to shitpost over lore and setting ideas that I can steal for potential monetary fantasy projects that I'm pursuing.
>>
I play in a group of three including myself. We run three different campaigns. One of us is the DM for their own respective campaign and it just rotates every couple hours
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.