[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic the Gathering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: new.jpg (341 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
new.jpg
341 KB, 1600x1200
Havent played in awhile.
Can I do ok with this?
>>
>>47095462
Looks fine to me, but I don't know that Creeping Renaissance is where you want to be, just end the game before recursion is an issue, slivers are the definition of an aggressive strategy.
>>
The cards have rotated out so they aren't legal anymore.
>>
>>47095602
Ok thats what I was mainly concerned about. Which ones arent legal for current rules?
>>
>>47095612
If you're intending to play standard, everything in your list but the basic lands has rotated.

The current standard legal sets are:
Dragons of Tarkir
Origins
Battle for Zendikar
Oath of the Gatewatch
Shadows over Innistrad
As well as cards unique to the learn to play decks/deck builder's toolbox
>>
>>47095581
and by awhile i mean like 5 years
>>
>>47095612
Forest, Mountain and Plains are the only legal ones.
>>
>>47095462
You need to check out your mana curve, you've got here:
1 Drop:1
2 Drop:11
3 Drop:10
4 Drop:2
5 Drop:8
6 Drop:5
7 Drop: 1
To be honest, you probably don't want any slivers that cost more than 4, but that's if you want a competitive list.
>>
>>47095462
If you want to play modern, you want to slash your curve, hard. You also really would want to drop a few hundred dollars on lands.
For standard, no slivers are currently legal.
>>
>>47095462
Slivers aren't particularly strong, but if you want to run them you definitely want an aggressive list. You really want to curve with slivers, and you'll fold to board wipes as is.

Personally, i'm a fan of RUG slivers, but Bant slivers has some good options. Obviously your going to want fetches, shock lands, and Cavern of Souls for the mana base.

The most important slivers for you should be Galerider, Predatory and Sinew. You'll want Harmonic for the SB, Diffusion for any matchup where the opponent runs bolt or path. Sidewinder is a solid 1 drop, and is your best option other than galerider if not in red. Firewake and Frenetic are fantastic in color, Frenetic can keep roughly half your team on a board wipe, although a smart opponent will try and bolt it first.
>>
>>47095462
your curve is super duper high, and if you want to go for a casual slivers deck (or even just a modern slivers deck) I would consider Belligerent Sliver for evasion, bonesplitter sliver over battle sliver as bonesplitter costs 1 less, maybe Diffusion Sliver if people start running a ton of removal. Essence Sliver is slightly more expensive (running at about $2 a pop), but it gives your slivers untyped lifelink so if you get the lifelink sliver, you get double lifelink.

Firewake Sliver was kinda goofy tech for me, but it was really effective when I played casual slivers in Timespiral, so it might be worth checking out. Frenzy Sliver is also weird tech, but if you combo it with a bunch of evasion, you'll find yourself hitting like a truck. Gemhide Sliver is identical to manaweft sliver, and you probably don't need 8 of them but it's worth a mention I think. I'll mention Galerider Sliver as it's the cheapest evasion granting sliver, but it's also a $6 card, so I wouldn't recommend picking any up. Harmonic Sliver is a beast and a half against some decks, but it might be more of a sideboard card. Homing Sliver is terrific, as it's your only real way of finding the cards you want at instant speed, I'd 100% say look into getting some. Leeching Sliver helps make some massive early swings, and it's a low cost card. Mesmeric Sliver is goofy as hell, but it effectively turns an aggro deck into a control deck. Might Sliver is, following the trend, a cheaper Megantic Sliver. Mindlash Sliver is not only a one mana sliver, it also turns extra slivers into discard spells which is nice.

Necrotic Sliver might be one of the most powerful slivers ever printed, being an answer to literally anything, but it's also in the $4 range so I'd shy away from it a bit. Plague sliver is weird. It's mostly an answer to sliver decks rather than something one of them would play, but if you can give it haste, it's a 5 power beater for 4 mana- before all your buffs.
>>
>>47095462
>>47096519
Pulmonic Sliver is a powerful curve topper- I've seen people scoop after reading the card. Making your slivers effectively never go away is pretty scary, but it's also in the $4-5 range, so maybe not at first. Screeching Sliver is another one-mana sliver with a situational ability. It might be worth playing just to even out your curve a bit.

Sedge Sliver buffs your team and offers regeneration, which is pretty nice, but it's also incredibly expensive (at $9 it might be the most expensive non-legendary sliver) and requires an even more expensive card (Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth) to really combo off. If you decide to sink money into slivers, though, that combo kicks ass.

Shadow Sliver effectively makes your creatures unblockable at the cost of being unable to block. Sidewinder Sliver is a very important part of modern slivers, not only setting up incredibly potent trades in combat but coming out on turn 1. I would very much recommend getting four of them.

Sinew Sliver is a 2 mana +1/+1 for your entire team, and another card I would consider an auto-include in a sliver deck.

Brief shoutout to the lads Sliver Hivelord and Sliver Legion. Probably out of your price range, but Hivelord protects your team and legion pretty much wins the game the moment you play it.

Spined Sliver might be interesting, as it's old and weird, and in combination with Sidewinder Sliver, it makes blocking you feel really uncomfortable to your opponent. Spinneret Sliver gives your team reach, so you might want it if the people you play with have lots of flyers, but overall I think it's too defensive. Striking Sliver is another 1-mana sliver, and as such I would run more than one, two or three probably.

Two-Headed Sliver might be a strictly better Belligerent Sliver, so I would probably run it instead.

Venom Sliver, especially with enough first strike granting slivers, is great.
>>
>>47095462
>>47096519
>>47096689
Last one, hopefully with less agonizing formatting.

Virulent sliver is..... well, nasty. On one hand multiples of it are nearly always a won game. On the other, people will despise you for it. Consider how much you actually like your friends before playing this card.

..... And that's it. Wow, I ran into the character limit with one card to go.

But yeah, that's my take on modern slivers. I glossed over some that I found really unplayable, but I tried to talk about every option.

Here's a link to a couple decklists that have worked well for people and some talking about card choices and lands.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/deck-creation-modern/477676-modern-slivers

Be aware, though, that it's probably not very budget.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-deck/modern-slivers-2015-09-11
here's a somewhat in depth look at one specific sliver deck that did quite well at a tournament. Once again, not that wallet friendly a list, though.

Anyways, hope all this helped. Slivers are incredibly fun as a casual deck, and feel very underrated as a competitive list. Good luck!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.