[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Demons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 48
File: demon.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
demon.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Demons are the tribe that got left behind in MTG.
they usually have awful mechanics for a high casting cost, and little-to-no support.
thoughts?
>>
I think it's wrong to think of them as a tribe, they are like black dragons,same as how sphinxes are for blue , or angels for white.
>>
>>47089827
Or beasts for green.
Or elementals for green.
Or wurms for green.
Or hydras for green.
I know every color gets elementals, but green's are normally bigger, and I wanted another creature type.
>>
>>47089827
what I meant by tribe was race, sorry I got confuzzled.

the point I was trying to make was that it's hard to use a demon theme in a scrubby kitchen-table tier deck, much less outside that unless you can pop 5 black mana on turn three consistently. even if you can get the ridiculous mana it'd need, they're abilities are often lackluster for the cost.

I love the cards and I collect them for the dank art. especially innistrad and theros demons.
>>
>>47089742
I like desecration demon flavorwise, and it saw play in theros standard when monoblack devotion became a deck. Also, griselbrand still sees play in older formats. But yes, demons suck in general.
>>
mindwrack demon is a good card howeverrrrrr
>>
>>47089962
It's officially hydras now.
>>
>>47090476
Rune-Scarred Demon is a sweet piece of top end for a kitchen table deck with black.
That 5/4 demon that makes you lose a life and draw a card on upkeep is also awesome. Bloodgift Demon or something.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-28-22-53-34.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-28-22-53-34.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>47090539
>>47089742
That's kinda silly logic. Outside of three creature types that have way too many lords. Nearly all other creatures have only a select few that are considered staples or very playable among formats (outside of edh)
>angels has some of the most but only in edh and 3 or so in modern
>wurms have none
>sphinx has 1
>humans have 2 in modern and a few more in edh and legacy but there are a ridiculous amount of humans
>turtles are by and large shittier
>there is one playable lhurgoyf
>there are no playable zombies
>very few elementals
>no samurai
>no spider
>one giant
>no hydra
>one wall
Etc
The majority of all magic cards are fucking garbage. It isn't just this creature type.
>>
>>47091639
>no playable zombies
Doubt

What the fuck is your criteria?
You're waffling back and forth between constructed playable, lords, and both.

>>47090924
*Target player* loses one and draws one. This is important. You got the name right.
>>
>>47091755
>What the fuck is your criteria?
How many of these creature types appear in modern and legacy top 8 decks.
>You're waffling back and forth between constructed playable, lords, and both.
Not really. I pointed out there's three playable tribes as top 8 decks because they have a lot of lords (merfolks, goblin and elfball) but other creature types and "tribes" are nearly all unplayable except for maybe 1-3 cards and if you focus only on that creature type your deck will be bad
>>
>>47091894
>top 8 decks
What shitty criteria.

Kalitas makes zombies, and Fatesticher is played in Ascendancy
>>
I play shadowborn apostles in EDH and the advantage I can secure by playing demons with nastier control effects is pretty choice. That said, I cheat around their cost by using apostles and the abundance of tutor effects in black to get a thrumming stone. "B: Search your library for a demon and put it onto the battlefield" is a very strong effect.
>>
>>47091894
>a card is unplayable if it doesn't top 8 Modern or Legacy

Memeternal players ladies and gentlemen
>>
They're fun in suicide black EDH decks
>>
>>47091639
Wall of Omens and Wall of Roots are totally playable in modern.
>>
They are afflicted by flavor more than most creature types, but they are not by far the worst.
Think about it. They don't want to give you shit, And they will take from you everything.
That's pretty demony.
Crabs should be a thing
Im still building a homarid edh
Holding on to bushwag and rigers for when they get their time.
I hate how Rhinos and elephants got anthropomorphic all of the sudden back in, 2010?

Demons should be more interactive with other creatures, alluring them to do stupid stuff.
Maybe have a demon come in to give a creature you don't control 5, +1/+1 counters but when it dies whomever is controlling the demon draws equal to the creatures power.
>>
I actually play hellcarver in my bw edh. Great with that white enchantment 4ww, whenever your stuff dies everyone sacs their stuff too. Can't think of the name
>>
>>47095308
I'm guessing what the guy did is he went to the site that lets you look at pretty much every top-8 deck for the last two years and looked.

If he did, that place counts pretty much any tournament that has more than 12 people and posted a report or decklists online, so normally goofy meme decks make it on there too.
>>
The closest I've come to demon tribal is running a bunch in Kaalia EDH (and Old Rakdos edh a longass time ago), but as far as demons in a 60-card tribal deck goes, the fact that the lowest their curve goes is 4 and that nearly all the playable ones have an at least moderately painful drawback makes them less appealing than, say, bears, as bears can jam a ton of early game cards and then follow up with lategame options.
>>
>>47096357
I think the hard beaters are outdated considering the top of the curve of most decks is 4,5,6.
You can't play a grinning demon because a 6/6 just isn't doing enough at 4mana.and the drawback actually kills you.
>>
>>47091639
>wurms have none
Worldspine Wurm sees play in modern.
>there are no playable zombies
I don't even know how to reply to this. There's even a deck with "Zombie" in its name in Legacy and yes it does refer to creatures with the creature type.
>one wall
Are you fucking kidding? Tinder Wall, Overgrown Battlement, Wall of Blossoms, Wall of Roots, Wall of Omens, Wall of Denial, Wall of Reverence, Mnemonic Wall.
>>
>>47095640
Wall of omens is but wall of roots isn't, it died with pod. Unless it's played in coco now?
>>47095308
Except that's a perfectly acceptable way to look at it. Those formats test cards aggressively for all things, from effect and value to cost to play. EDH is a bad measuring stick because edh is a big clunky format and limited is fucking stupid because wizards dumbed that shit down. Standard isn't a consistent measuring stick so it's out. Name a better way to consider cards playability aside from that than
>>47095020
Actually I forgot zombie fish. Fatestitcher is playable (albeit marginally because ascendancy is hot garbage) if you can consider a better way to look at how playable cards are that isn't top 8 than I'm all ears
>>
>>47097102
Don't forget awesome walls like Wall of Resurgence.
>>
>>47097102
Wrote that while very drunk last night so I missed a lot of cards, there's also wurmcoil engine for example as a warm
My point was that the majority of magic cards are trash and, by extension, the majority of creatures in any "tribe" or creature type is also trash. It isn't just demons. My examples are fucking trash though because, again, very drunk
>>
>>47097257
And jaddi offshoot
>>
>>47097287
plant
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 312x445
>>47097298
Talking about plants.
>>
>>47097270
Well, THAT is certainly a very valid point. Hell the majority of Elves, Goblins and Merfolk are fucking trash, the cheap ones that are ok just get a lot better when you add lords to the mix.
>>
>>47097336
Well 4 mana for a 0/13 defender is kinda awesome. Too bad it doesn't have reach.
>>
>>47097238
Wall of Roots is still played in some CoCo decks.

Top8 might be the best easy metric but it's very far from a good metric still. If you made Punishing Fire legal in Modern, every Elf would disappear from the format in an instant. They only really appeared in the format after the printing of CoCo in the first place. Cards in tribal and other synergistic decks are super sensitive to meta changes and other cards being printed.

>Zombies
Zombie Bombardment. Zombies are playable and the deck even has some tribal elements.
>>
>>47097257
Eh. I have a feeling Fiery Temper by itself makes that card not playable in standard. In other formats it has no chance whatsoever.
>>
What if you're not supposed to make a tribal deck?
>>
File: meme frog.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
meme frog.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
>>47097238
>a Magic card is only playable if it's in a top 8 Memedern deck
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 312x445
>>47097528
There is this one enchantment that makes all lands you control indestructible for 1G. I plan to use that, Sylvan advocate and pic related to make land animation a thing in modern.
>>
>>47089742
I really wish they'd make a set with Demons, Devils, and Imps all providing Tribal support for each other.
>>
>>47097859
I desperately wanted to make a jank deck with the devil token spawners from SOI, but nothing seems to work well cause they're so fucking expensive for some reason.
>>
>>47097826
It seems like you'd be better off doing a one sided Armageddon.
>>
I've run a fairly successful demon toolbox with Blood Speaker in EDH before. It produces insane value in long, grindy games, or even good mid game if you have enough artifact mana sources. If you can get it online, it wipes, tutors, controls generals, destroys lands, or locks players out. Not competitive, but fun.
>>
File: image.png (4 MB, 1872x891) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4 MB, 1872x891
>>47098489
Forgot pic

Big old demons at sick with Thousand Year Elixer
>>
File: best demon.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
best demon.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
Post your favorite demon.
>>
File: rakdos.jpg (78 KB, 600x436) Image search: [Google]
rakdos.jpg
78 KB, 600x436
>>47098649
>>
File: 132.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>47098649
Perfectly designed card. Overwhelming power, with a fatal catch.
>>
>>47098731
>Rape and Pillage, Terrorize and Destroy
Absolutely adore this big bastard in EDH.
>>
>>47091639
Wurmcoil is a wurm
>>
>>47089962
Will green ever get flyers? If the other colors are expanding their pies to Planar Chaos territory, why not green?
And when are they going to print another counterspell in white?
>>
File: Chd_JXWUoAAuMDI.jpg (52 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
Chd_JXWUoAAuMDI.jpg
52 KB, 600x439
>thoughts?

You're just wrong, in everything.
Demons are playable, have support and decent casting cost considering that black is probably the easiest mana source to replicate and also it's the best color pie for reanimation.

You just don't see them around Modern too much, because you often end up picking Griselbrand or Emmy for reanimating stuff, they are ever present in mono-black EDH.
>>
>>47098965
Pretty much just bugs. Faeries are bugs.
>>
File: en94gp.jpg (42 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
en94gp.jpg
42 KB, 312x445
>>47098965
Green has flyers.
sorta
>>
>>47099067
There's only been a dozen or so playable demons in all of MtG history. They're flavorful, good in kitchen table and draft (much like red dragons), but I would argue that as a color defining creature type since Alpha they're under-represented. Check your creature type privilege.
>>
File: 9935.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
9935.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>47099067
>Reanimating Emmy
Anon I...

>>47099108
Green has flyers.
sorta
;_;
>>
>>47098965
I've always been a little peaved that spiders are green instead of black, being that they are cunning, sneaky, and silent by nature, relying on entrapment, deception rather than primal strength to feed and grow. They're the antithesis of a lumbering green beast or rhino, though, I admit, inherently a part of nature.
>>
>>47099194
Maybe blue would define it's nature of deception better as well.
>>
>>47099194
Think about it thematically. where are you more likely to find spiders, in swamps, or in forests?
>>
>>47099194
>Part of nature
That's what I'm saying mang. Birds are natural animals and green has like ONE. It's very playable, but I still want more
>>
>>47089962
>Or hydras for green.
Nigga what. Do you even Hardened Scales, Renegade Krasis, or Longshot Squad? There's plenty of support for Hydras, you've just got to look out for +1/+1 counter support and +1/+1 counter themed cards, like Gyre Sage and Bioshift.
>>
>>47099306
Good idea. Give green flyers to go along with the huge creatures and broken shit it already has
>>
>>47099067
is this gonna see play in modern tokens or not
>>
>>47099430
>broken
What? Please rate the colours in level of brokenness so I know how much to laugh at your opinion
>>
>>47099266
Swamps have A LOT of spiders (I live in Louisiana). I do agree, though I think the nature of the creature often factors into its color alignment, like red jackals, who are more likely to live in plains than mountains, and green boas and crocodiles, who are exclusively occupy something closer to a swamp or jungle than a forest. I could probably think of other examples, but in my opinion flavor should often trump truths about our world.
>>
>>47099430
Everyone knows white is broken for having every other color's mechanics with added flourish.
>>
>>47098432
There will be that on the deck too. Also maybe pic related (Sideboard material?).

I want to include Scute Bug too, it, Undergrowth Champion and other Landfall stuff could work very well with Joraga and Sylvan Advocate. Also something to accelerate land drops.

Prophet of Kruphix maybe?, any ideas anon?
>>
>>47099578
Almost exclusively*
>>
>>47099188

Emrakul can be reanimated with Goryo's Vengeance in Modern. Emrakul entering the graveyard is a triggered ability and thus can be responded to.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
>>47099595
Shit, forgot pic
>>
>>47099578
These are true, but the theme should still be either logical, or at least consistent. Every region covered by mana colors would have birds for instance, but they make the most sense in blue and white. Blue for islands, surrounded by open space, white for plains, being open space. Though I suppose red should also get birds, since there's less obstacles to landing/takeoff?
>>
>>47099557
not him but it is true green has been getting pretty powerful stuff lately

>Courser of Kruphix
>Atarka's Command
>Collected company
>Siege Rhino
>Oath of Nissa
>Traverse the Ulvenwald
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 312x445
>>47097826
Also since I'm putting a variety of card types and some discard (and land cards could hit the graveyard at some point), I might be interested on including Traverse the Ulvenwald, and if I do, potentially pic related.

I think it could work given hiw the deck will have ramp aspects.
>>
>>47099194
Man, there's so much more Spiders could get thematically if only they were black. Deathtouch would be a lot more common, same with destroy creature effects. With that web of theirs full of monsters and men I bet they could easily throw in some flavor for lifegain and necromancy. Effects on death would be cool too. We could have a spider that lays egg tokens every time they kill something, then have them all hatch once the mother dies.

But no, big, tough creatures with small attacks and reach are fine Wizards. We don't need to experiment or anything, that could lead to power creep!
>>
>>47099557
Not that anon but
B>U>R>W>G.
-B, pay life, draw like a motherfucker kill everything, kill lands, kill walkers, kill creatures, kill you, can't kill enchants tho, life link because fuck you

-U, pay mana, draw cards, no, you can't do anything, no, you really can't do this, no

R-pay mana, pay life, ayyyylamo throw cards into your face, draw somethings

W-pay mana, enchant this, enchant that, exile stuff, can't draw for shit, lot's of life

G-Ayyylamo lot's of mana, BIG THROBING ANIMAL DICKS
>>
>>47099430
>broken
>green
You misspelled "white"

Nothing like common 2/2's for two with first strike every fucking set. If they're uncommon they get lifelink too.
>>
>>47099585
But white does everything worse, besides enchantments and exile, and literally no draws.
>>
>>47099853
>common 2/2's for two with first strike

that card has literally never been printed
>>
>>47099658
>Courser of Kruphix -UG
>Atarka's Command -RG and part of a powerful cycle that all see play in standard
>Collected company - I'll give you this one
>Siege Rhino -WBG
>Oath of Nissa - This is quite good, but it's still nothing broken unless you consider anticipate broken
>Traverse the Ulvenwald - not really broken, you really have to build around it to get delirium
>>
>>47099585
white is pretty much jack of all trades master of none. thats why its such a good color for sideboard, its strength is flexibility
>>
>>47099808
I'd say
U>W>B>R>G
in general, but it would vary a lot on the format.
>>
>>47099913
Courser is monogreen.
Anyone who thinks green is the worst color anywhere except maybe limited needs their head examined.
>>
>>47099643
Yeah, I get it. I don't disagree, I'm just a black-oriented player who likes spiders. One black spider ever printed, ONE. And it's still green. Even red got a mono-colored spider in planar chaos. Because it lived on some rocks. Black got a bad counter spell, a bad time walk, and a black version of fucking Sea Serpent. SEA SERPENT.

Where is the love, man?
>>
>>47097826
>>47099772
I love Liege of the Tangle, I have a deck that uses that guy, it revolves around getting out tons of saproling tokens and the enchantment Life and Limb to go all out with as many 8/8s as possible. What's this indestructible land enchantment you're using here? It sounds like it could be really useful in my deck.
>>
>>47099585

White has answers for everything but they're usually more expensive or slower.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>47099910
Well technically it has. In an Un-set. That doesn't really count though.
>>
File: black knight.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
black knight.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>47099978
black got a 2/2 first strike for 2

stop crying you pussy
>>
>>47099910
I stand corrected. 2/1's, then?
>>
>>47099910
http://magiccards.info/query?q=cmc%3D2+pow%3D2+tou%3D2+c%21w+o%3A%22first+strike%22+r%3Dcommon&v=card&s=cname

A search with his requirements comes up with four cards. Three are conditional First Strike and one isn't legal in any format.
>>
>>47099913
Oath of Nissa is a Antecipate in green, which is a big deal.
Traverse the Ulvenwald is a Worldy Tutor, you don't have to build around anything to get delirium in modern, Tarmagoyf is good, so delirium shouldn't be that hard.
>>
>>47099913
>Courser of Kruphix -UG

nigga what

>Atarka's Command
It is the best command along with Kolaghan's and Dromoka's and them being also red or white does not stop them from being green cards.

>Siege Rhino
yea, its abzan but its only played in mostly green midrange strategies filled with creatures

>Oath of Nissa
>like Anticipate

The one mana difference is huge. If anything is more like a Ponder with an extra ability.

>Traverse the Ulvenwald
its potentially a one mana creature tutor. someone is going to break this card, just wait
>>
>>47100011
Youthful Knight is the only card in the game that has ever been a common 2/1 with first strike.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
>>47100008
>got
>literally a card from Alpha
>Meanwhile, in white.
>>
File: Zada%27s+Commando+%5BOGW%5D.jpg (35 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Zada%27s+Commando+%5BOGW%5D.jpg
35 KB, 223x311
>>47100064
Only white card
>>
>>47100090
Yeah that's what I meant.
>>
>>47099977
but green is pretty good in limited because its midrangey. i'd say the worst color in limited is red.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 312x445
>>47100064
You're right, though I would argue that in sets where first strike is enabled by theme-centric effects, it's a minimal drawback and often even better than a Youthful Knight.
>>
File: 15689_200w.jpg (28 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
15689_200w.jpg
28 KB, 200x285
>>47100151
in that case, what about a 3/3 deathtouch for 2?
>>
>>47100151
That one faggot is still wrong though, and is confirmed to have just been talking shit about glorious white.
>>
>>47099797
>evil, necromantic spiders
Truly, I have found a compatriot of African descent this day.
>>
>>47099984
I don't know the name, they told me about it on my LGS, guy was a judge, so I trust his word. Maybe it costed 1GG?

I think Sylvan Advocate has some real potential here, Scute Mob into Sylvan Advocate, then some ramp T3 to activate both Scute Mob And Sylvan Advocate T4-T5, cast Jolrael and proceed to beat down.

Its a very agro-ramp deck that could be very fun to play.
>>
>>47100191
>It's okay when green does it.
I still love Vanquisher and most Lorwyn elves.
>>47100205
>M'Lady: The Color
White is the lamest color alignment in the game. Literal white knights.
>>
>>47100191
Wow dude, a big creature for low mana in fucking green, with a drawback that requires you to build your whole deck around elves or else it's worth jack shit outside of draft. I'm so mad at Wizards right now for this atrocity to the balance of our game!
>>
File: 169.jpg (55 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
169.jpg
55 KB, 265x370
>>47100191
Beef is kind of what green does. That's a situationally better Kalonian Tusker right there. I didn't know about the card though. I'm slapping that in a deck soon.
Speaking of deathtouchers for 1G, is there any love for this little guy?
>>
>>47100280
>2/1 Deathtouch for 2
>with Flash

If this was White you cucks would be losing your shit
>>
>>47100280
Nice, it's pretty much a removal spell in a creature form.
>>
>>47100118
Depends on the draft environment. My point was more that I don't think a reasonable argument could be made for Green being the weakest color in Modern (Black), Legacy (Red), or EDH (Red, again). I doubt it could be made for Standard, either, but I am not familiar enough with it. Maybe Vintage, but Vintage decks are mostly artifacts anyway, and Oath is a thing.
>>
>>47100331
>Deathtouch
>In mono White

And for good reason. Don't start shit when you know what's up you dumb nigger
>>
File: 22.jpg (44 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
44 KB, 312x445
>>47100228
I found pic related on the site >>47100038 posted, it's not green but the deck I'm using can create mana of any color with Utopia Mycon. Thanks for the recommendations but my deck isn't very land ramp oriented, I will probably end up using Sylvan Advocate though. Here's my deck in case you're interested:

Creature (22)
2x Jade Mage
1x Liege of the Tangle
2x Mycoloth
4x Psychotrope Thallid
1x Sporemound
1x Sporoloth Ancient
4x Thallid Shell-Dweller
2x Thelon of Havenwood
4x Utopia Mycon
1x Verdeloth the Ancient
Instant (12)
3x Consign to Dust
4x Druid's Deliverance
1x Scatter the Seeds
4x Sprout
Enchantment (6)
1x Life and Limb
1x Mana Reflection
4x Parallel Lives
Land (20)
16x Forest
4x Khalni Garden
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 312x445
>>47100331
>a paladin calling anyone a cuck
Sorry, I didn't see you there over all these hot ass vampire titties getting shoved in my face. Good luck getting anything more than a hug from those frigid lesbo angels you worship. White is the most cucked color of all.
>>
>>47100377
>boo hoo White gets first strike and some removal
>better give the other colors some broken shit

White is currently the best it's ever been in history. And yet Green is still better
>>
File: 1451303124523.png (602 KB, 963x720) Image search: [Google]
1451303124523.png
602 KB, 963x720
>>47100519
>white is the color of cucks
>posts a white card where a girl gets up in some anime angel tiddies
>>
>>47100520
Let's not pretend that White doesn't also get the best lifegain, creatures that are almost as aggressively costed as green creatures, and control mechanics like Silence and boardwipes. Can we please?
I'd ask you to stop being retarded but I don't know if you can help it.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>47100559
Black even does lolis better.
>>
>>47100601
>stop whining! White is almost as good as other colors
>>
>>47099978
Planar Chaos black love went to Damnation. Might've heard of it.

I wasn't really active again in Magic until after Time Spiral block ended. I really should take another look at what Planar Chaos offered besides Damnation, Mana Tithe and Sinew Sliver.
>>
>>47100703
>Lifegain
>Not good
>Control
>Not good
>Also token swarm
>Not good

It sounds like White is your favorite color but you just don't know how to make it work. Are you a scrub?

Look man, I get it. But I'm telling you as someone whose secondary color is White: It's not underpowered
>>
>>47099977
>>47100058
I was thinking Prophet of Kruphix.

Kolaghan's is the best and then Atarka's general, but in the current standard Dromoka is the best.

I wasn't really considering modern, but Traverse it still is a very conditional card in modern which is a big negative.

Anticipate is also instant speed and any card type unrevealed. Ponder is quite different and hard to compare. I would have to say it's powerful because it is in green and not the usual blue but nowhere near broken.
>>
>>47100601
Hey man, I like white too, but you have to admit that black does board wipes way better. The only thing white had going for it in that category was Wrath of God's low mana cost, and black has that card too, in addition to mass graveyard revival and targeted deck milling tacked on to their board wipes.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 312x445
>>47100753
More notably than Damnation even is Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (honorable mention to Extirpate, which has been replaced with Surgical Extraction). Lots of fun/interesting cards in that set.
>Aven Riftwatcher
>stonecloaker
>whitemane lion
>calciderm
>body double
>pongify
>big game hunter
>red akroma
>keldon marauders
>stingscourger
>sulfur elemental
>rough/tumble
>simian spirit guide
>deadwood tree folk
>hunting wilds
>necrotic sliver

The flavor of something phasing in and fading out and something happening was really neat IMO. Pic related is one of my favorites flavorwise, tied with Stingscourger, who can bounce stuff because he's got a Man o' War nailed to a stick. it's the larval form of deadly insect
>>
File: sire.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
sire.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>47098649

The only thing I don't like about this demon is the red in his casting cost.
>>
>>47099808
>>47099965

Green is the favorite color of new players, as a result it always gets lots of cool stuff and is usually the second best color each set. U is the most powerful in nearly every set, R is the baseline color so it's generally the weakest, B and W fight over the middle ground but occasionally Wizards fuck up and print something liek Necropotence, putting B way ahead of the field.
>>
>>47101210
For the record, Ball Lightning was considered broken when it was printed.
>>
File: xathrid.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
xathrid.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>47101114
>>47098649

POST MORE GOOD DEMONS
>>
>>47101324
>considered
Yeah but it wasn't. RDW is always the first deck to be built from a new set, so it can't be made too powerful or the whole set's constructed format will be made of boring and aids.
>>
File: rune-scarred.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
rune-scarred.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>47101332
>>47098649

WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY, DEMONIC TUTOR ON A BODY? IN THE COLOR THAT DOES REANIMATION LIKE A FUCKING BOSS?
>>
>>47101382
But anon, every sets constructed format is made of boring and aids. Every constructed format is like the same six decks competing for domination of the top eight.
>>
File: griselbanned.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
griselbanned.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>47101422
>>47098649

A demon so playable he got hit with the banhammer. RIP in peace muh turn 3 EDH wins.
>>
>>47101448

I quite like constructed formats. And there have been some constructed decks that were so good, they went on to inspire whole legacy archetypes. But this is just what MaRo says, RDW is used as the baseline while they design the set, they try to make sure that there are plenty of potential decks to be discovered that can out-compete RDW, because that rewards skill. So R always ends up the weakest single color, tho ofc it gets some amazing spells that end up being splashed in other, better, decks.
>>
>>47101382
Ball lightning RDW won Nationals in 1997
>>
>>47101535

It didn't dominate teh format tho, that was just some fluke. Yeah it was over-powered for the format but not broken. It was no Delver.
>>
>>47101518
I like constructed formats too, but I don't have the patience or money to play competitively.
That's why I mostly just play kitchen table with my friends
>>
File: tombstalker.jpg (56 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
tombstalker.jpg
56 KB, 312x445
>>47099808
Black also has discard
>>
>>47101901
>>47099808

And Mutilate effects, and edict effects.
>>
>>47099658
you forgot prophet of Kruphix
little miss " untap all lands and creatures during everyone's untap step and creatures may be cast as though they had flash" 3UG cost is not hard at all for green ramp of any kind
>>
>>47102490
She'll probably never see unban in EDH, but she'll always be Modern legal. Stay mad. That's what happens when you mix two good mechanics from different colors.
>:3
>>
File: harvester.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
harvester.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>47101901
>>47098649

Demons for the Demon God! Card draw for his Throne of Cards!
>>
File: blessed spirits.jpg (162 KB, 1024x773) Image search: [Google]
blessed spirits.jpg
162 KB, 1024x773
>>47100651
lies and slander. we even have shota
>>
>>47102613
>Throne of Cards
you had one job
>>
>>47102748
Oh damn I forgot about that one. Can you even fuck a ghost? Would they have to possess another person or a physical object?
>tfw no inquisative ghost loli in my onahole
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 312x445
>>47098649
>all that flavor
Too bad I've never actually cast him.
>>
OP here, wow this thread has gained major steam.
we need to have more creature type threads because the discussion in here has been intelligent and constructive.
gg /tg/
shall we have an angel thread next? wurms maybe?
>>
File: harvestwurm.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
harvestwurm.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
>>47104031
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>47104031
>angel thread
Overpowered tyrant whores. Wake up, sheeple.
>>
>>47098544
>designed by brad muir
wait does it really say that
>>
>>47104471
Yeah, M15 had a cycle of cards made by guest designers. Some of them were pretty cool, although the coolest ones got nerfed before being printed (Aggressive Mining, Cruel Sadist).
>>
>>47104627
Why would they nerf aggressive mining to the point they did? What was it's original status?
>>
>>47104755
It didn't have the turn restriction, which made it a really good draw engine for combo decks that intend to win the turn the play it/their next turn.
>>
>>47104780

Sounds like a good fix then. Should have been a black spell tho.
>>
>>47104031
How about a thread to build that Land Animation >>47097826 mentioned. Jolrael is a pretty cool card and I'd love to use it in modern.

Plus, I still remember that one Spirit tribal deck /tg/ made. That one ended up being quite damn good.
>>
File: 1460864226586.png (169 KB, 540x542) Image search: [Google]
1460864226586.png
169 KB, 540x542
>>47100559
if touching titties is the end goal you're gonna love being a big kid one day
>>
>>47101114
untrue, 6/4 strikes me as a red quality
>>
>>47102928
grixis pure has two real wincons this being one of them
reverbing the spell counts as a top 5 magic moment tho
>>
>>47097530
What if your wife revolves around my dick?
>>
File: Image.png (118 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
118 KB, 223x311
>>47106263

It's not unprecedented.
>>
>>47106367
Didn't that come after? don't you try and retroactively apply evidence on me
>>
>>47106396
Not him but Kyoki, Salvage Titan, and Volrath (mentioned elsewhere in the thread) all fit that mold before DGM. At CMC 6 no less. Don't be a contrarian faggot
>>
File: Image.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>47106396

Black used to be a "big power, low toughness" color, they flipped it when they introduced NWO to make more space between red and black.
>>
What's going on in this thread?
>>
>>47106460
>>47106444
i concede don't yell at me pls
>>
I'm currently building a demon *tribal* EDH deck based off of Sworn To Darkness Precon, so far it's looking pretty fun.
I have a few zombie token spawners so I can use those as sac outlets for the demons, also Dictate of Erebos, Grave Pact, Butcher of Malakir go great on the field together.

also Archfiend of Depravity
>>
File: 179.jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
179.jpg
71 KB, 312x445
W-Who here likes hellions? They're like wurms, but better!
>>
File: anna eyes.gif (550 KB, 285x375) Image search: [Google]
anna eyes.gif
550 KB, 285x375
>>47107023
>echo
I like hellions, but let's not be silly.
>>
File: 84.jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
84.jpg
69 KB, 312x445
>>47107047
There are other hellions, but they're all bad. Where's the love for them?
>>
File: 49.jpg (68 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
68 KB, 312x445
>>47107200
>Sworn To Darkness
I always wanted to do something with this guy desu
>>
>>47097366
Those are its worst attributes, the card begs to be abused via lifetotal manipulation with a unique ability like that. I just wish it was more than a do nothing card other wise
>>
>>47096271
Suddenly? Rhoxes and Loxodons have been around longer than 2010.
>>
>>47107631
0/13 defender + Assault formation could be a decent combo.
>>
>>47089742
I play against a guy who uses OB and a bunch of demons for EDH. Holy fuck that shit wrecks. I know not the right thread but demons are/were dope as fuck
>>
>>47106460
Not really. Red always was, black just shared it. Black fatties were often equally strong/tough.
>>
>>47108561
>Could be
Don't you mean "is"?
>>
Some of the most awful fatties ever printed are Demons. Incidentally, this one is one of my favorites because he's a cool bat thing. I've never put him in a deck.

I get that black had ritual back then, but its not like you could play this without already playing a couple chumps.
>>
File: 38.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
38.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>47108687
Forgot pic.
>>
>>47107047
Echo is fun when the creature triggers ltb effects.
>>
>>47108687
Stone age games of magic lasted upwards of 15+ turns.
I used to hard cast Polar Kraken and Leviathan.
>>
>>47108648
No, I mean it could be a decent combo if your opponent doesn't lnow how to use removal.
>>
>>47097641
I can see how someone could interpret it that way if one were say, extremely autistic.

Top 8's results are an effective INDICATION of a cards viability and effectiveness in the meta.

Checking out these cards and decks that hit top 8 are a great way of learning how to judge the effectiveness and worth of any single card.

But go ahead, get your fill of frogposting.

:^)
>>
>>47108687
>>47108700
If you ever get the chance to cast him in EDH, especially with a Greaves out, you'll understand his power. It's Visara and Helldozer in one, and the sac ability is pretty easy to feed with either a token generator/graveyard recurring creature/phyrexian reclamation.
>>
File: 141[1].jpg (54 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
141[1].jpg
54 KB, 312x445
>>47097336

I don't know how but I feel like there is some sort of combo here.
>>
File: demonic.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
demonic.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>47098649
>>
>>47095079
List pls
>>
>>47101332
Oh shit I forgot about this dude. Just sent him to my friend who runs Meren. This would be a cute lil engine with Kokusho and Meren on the field. Also, any other card with a strong ETB and power could get scary.
>>
File: EDH Jank 1.png (372 KB, 669x311) Image search: [Google]
EDH Jank 1.png
372 KB, 669x311
>>47113140
Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.