[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are LARP talks accepatable here? If no, where can I go other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: crusadingandchill.jpg (192 KB, 956x846) Image search: [Google]
crusadingandchill.jpg
192 KB, 956x846
Are LARP talks accepatable here? If no, where can I go other than /cgl/?
I'm trying to improve my character's demeanor and background and I think experienced roleplayers would be great help.
>>
LARP discussion certainly happens here, it's just that it's a little less active than it was in the past. There's a few people here who are very much experts on the business, and a fair percentage have at least LARPed once.

But, you really need to sell your topic a little harder. Why should I care about your character and their demeanor? What's interesting about them?
>>
>>47088962
maybe you should look into some acting stuff online
>>
>>47089296
So far? Nothing too much, I guess. Currently his story is:
He was a part of a Paladin-like order (Basically a religious order, but they're only fighters, they don't get the cleric-y abilities). While chasing a group of looters, his brother-in-arms got hit. Instead of leaving him be and chasing them, he stopped to take care of the said wounded guy. It resulted in both the guy's death because character sucked at healing, and the pillaging of the village, death of the innocents etc.
His order seen this as a terrible sin, so they exiled him. Now after being bound to a harsh code of life, he's free.
Main thing I wanna make sure is that others enjoy scenes with that character, even if it means I have to rewrite it all.

>>47089704
I'll make sure to do that, thanks!
>>
File: FB_IMG_1460413729734.jpg (134 KB, 1105x802) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1460413729734.jpg
134 KB, 1105x802
>>47089796
The first thing would be to flush out phrases like:
>paladin-like order
>wounded guy
>harsh code of life

And replace them with whatever you think fits; even if it doesn't seem right, it'll help you figure out what you want your character to be like. You can always change it or add details as you develop your character.

>Military Order of Ashen Defiance
>Grievously wounded elder
>Vow of Puritanism

If you want to develop personality, think about what those experiences symbolise in a person, or what they would've learned.
>>
>>47090209
I have some of the 'better-sounding names', but not to the fullest. I'll work on that.

I think personality-wise my options would be either make him really hate religion (Which is something I'd less like to play), fully embrace his freedom or go full evil-chaser to repent his oh-so-terrible sin. Tending towards the latter.
>>
>>47090396
Veteran storyLARPer here.

I'd encourage you to really flesh out the internal conflict here. Profess faith, but hesitate when called to act upon it in distasteful ways. Encourage others to believe, yet find little visible solace in it yourself. Perform rituals, but with sighs and reticence. Remember: only stuff that other people can PERCEIVE counts. Everything else is mental masturbation.
>>
>>47090524
Would it be interesting for others to play with that, though? I fear it'll come out solely as "this guy doing his thing again".
Sorry if it sounds strange, it's just really important to me others will enjoy my character.
>>
>>47090844
Nothing strange about it. Realizing that you're responsible for others' fun is a step on the road to LARP enlightenment.

It will be fun for others if there's space for them to play with it. If it's a closed loop that executes over and over, unchanging, then it is merely a gimmick and thus dumb. If it's a struggle that he opens up about with those who grow close, it becomes a point of shared experience and a great roleplaying scenario.
>>
Im a psychic and sell weird people magic potions and spells that they think are real but that i know arent
thats how i get my LARPing fix.
plus i get paid.
>>
I'm a nobleman's last heir who was driven out by another household in a power struggle. So it explains my well kept demeanor and also why I suck with a bow. I also have a Spiderman tick where I crack jokes in the face of impending danger because I'm terrified.
>>
>>47091684
>wisecracking secret noble
I'm already bored of hearing about your character.
>>
>>47091783
Damn. It's that apparent? Like I could dial back the noble part IC so it's a wisecracking bowman who did start training till he was a man. Dammit how do I salvage this?
>>
>>47092058
>I could dial back the noble part IC
How many people know your backstory? If you're really set on secret nobility the best way to make it not suck is to keep it actually a secret.
>>
>>47091219
>Nothing strange about it. Realizing that you're responsible for others' fun is a step on the road to LARP enlightenment.

Another way to put it:
You aren't the most important person on the larp. Everyone else is the most important person on the larp. Act accordingly.
In turn, hopefully you will be the most important person for others.
>>
>>47091219
Then should I consult IC about it with fellow group members? I'm not sure I'll be able to play those gentle nuances DESU..
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.