[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Fate so terrible, and why do people willingly play it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: Code of Nine.jpg (686 KB, 1742x2000) Image search: [Google]
Code of Nine.jpg
686 KB, 1742x2000
Why is Fate so terrible, and why do people willingly play it?
>>
Because it's fun
>>
>>47083846
Because it's buzzword.
>>
File: 92a.jpg (54 KB, 479x464) Image search: [Google]
92a.jpg
54 KB, 479x464
>>
>>47083961
Maybe, but at least I'm not a fatefag.
>>
>>47083912

Because of memes.
>>
>>47084161
Because of spoilers.
>>
>>47083814
I'd love to know what you think it's terrible. It's not perfect but it lends itself to being a good story game with decent amount of depth and flexibility. Like an Anti-GURPS
>>
a Gm I had for pf did some of the stuff for character building
Was really cool and gave us depth and a lot of fun
>>
>>47083814
Because it's actually not terrible and you just don't like it.
>>
File: 1438703744362.png (231 KB, 443x530) Image search: [Google]
1438703744362.png
231 KB, 443x530
Did someone say Fate?
>>
>>47083814
We willingly play it because it is perfect for our group. We are all a bunch of narrative driven storytelling players, where it's more about the roleplaying than the rollplaying.

We can totally see why having even one powergamer can screw things up for everyone, but lukcily we don't have any of those.

We could just play pass-the-baton storytelling, but we also like a little structure, and FATE is a game that gives us enough structure without it getting in the way. We've played them all. WoD, D&D, Savage Worlds, GURPS, Shadowrun, etc, and we don't see ourselves switching anytime soon. We finally have a game that cares more about the story than the game.
>>
Fate's okay. I still prefer GURPS, personally.

It lets me focus on narrative and the world itself, melts into the background, but provides structure where needed and makes the series of events being told feel grounded and believable, rather than simply "because it was important or cool to the narrative".

Not that there isn't room for "rule-of-cool", I just don't believe it makes for the most satisfying campaigns, put front-and-center.

DESU, the Fate point economy kind of bothers me to. I understand the reasons for it, but I prefer the pace of play to be dictated by the players and GM rather than the ebb/flow of meta points. I also prefer "epic" or "lucky" events to be exactly that; it undermines the narrative that Fate claims to reinforce when you can invoke however many aspects to achieve anything within the bounds of tenuous reason.

Not that you can succeed at "everything", but even succeeding at "anything" is enough to break tension and undermine the logic of events as they unfold.

All IMHO, of course.
>>
>>47084344
Be careful with your all-caps "FATE", Evilhat might chime in and call you a retard who's trying to fake your way into their gaming community.
>>
>>47084479
FATE was the original name for it, Evil Hat can fuck off about the naming scheme.
>>
>>47084727
Shame about Evil Hat being a bunch of revisionist, self-aggrandizing SJW pricks.
>>
>>47084344
My experience was that it quickly devolved into players bullshitting why the character's highest skill is relevant to the situation, and then using that skill to give the +2 bonus to the guy who made the final "attack" (physical, social etc.) How you've avoided that?
>>
File: sample_camelottrigger_character.png (183 KB, 760x588) Image search: [Google]
sample_camelottrigger_character.png
183 KB, 760x588
>>
>>47084434
GURPSFAGS PLS GO

Just kidding, I fucking love GURPS.
>>
>>47084320
This fate is the worst.
>>
>>47084783
I've had that far too often on my end as well.
To be honest, the only way I've found to avoid it is to not play with shitters, because any steps you take to fix it will immediately be met with whining otherwise.
>>
>>47084783
We are a bunch of mature players that know not everyone needs to have the heroic killshot every single encounter?

Like i said, it's not a game for every group. In your case, having one dude that feels he is the hero of the story and needs everything to be centered around his heroic deeds can screw with the dynamic of the rest of the group, or in some cases a couple players that are always trying to one-up each other in 'awesomeness'. In those games, something a little more rules heavy becomes necessary to keep their bullshit in check. But what we have is a smart GM, and smart players. If any of us propose something totally bullshit, the GM is not afraid of shooting it down, and we accept it and move on. Not that some of us have never tried, but it helps that we are more interested in telling an interesting story with an interesting cast of characters and seeing where the dice and GM takes us.
>>
I don't think Fate is bad, but I *do* dislike it.
Simply put, it defeats my sense of surprise. So many things are decided by the GM or players through the invocation/compel system, and by the flow of Fate points and 'mother may I' points of decision, that I have rarely found myself encountering an event that is totally shocking or surprising.

I'm sure that's fine for many, but it's not for me. It does tell 'good stories', but at the cost of my immersion in the world, the characters (which feel like paper dolls after a while, rather than people), and my surprise. The dice never tell us someone's eye has been put out, only when we all decide as a group could something like that even remotely happen.

It's just too close to pure 'yes, and' improv for me to enjoy it. I'm by no means a dungeon crawling 'rollplayer', but I do like some 'game' and surprise in my RPG's. I like the narrative events unfolding to be organic, not forced, and I like the pacing to move forward at the pace the GM and I want it to, rather than be coerced by the system to keep things 'dramatic' all the time.

Sometimes 'non drama' is what's needed to make the 'drama' feel so much truer, richer, well deserved.

tl;dr it's fine, but it feels fake to me.
>>
People keep saying Fate is a terrible system and nobody likes it, which is weird because I've played it and had a lot of fun. I guess I was having fun the wrong way.
>>
>>47084783
If they're intentionally fucking up the story and atmosphere to punch out the highest number and they are fully aware of what the actual flow of the game's supposed to be then they're knowingly being shits about it and there's no fixing it.
At that point either drop them or drop the system (though if they're outright trying to short-circuit *anything*, I just might not play RPGs with them anymore).

If they just don't 'get' Fate, talk to them about it. You know what's wrong, which is why you brought it up here, right? See if you can get them to play more to what Fate swings for--and maybe they're just not into what the system wants to accomplish, which is fine too. Different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>47083814
Because it's getting a (You)
>>
>>47085158
>some people have fun with a game
>others don't, so they have fun with another
>sometimes these people meet and disagree about the quality of said game, because of their differing experiences

News at 11.
>>
>>47085158
You're having badwrongfun and should kill yourself.
>>
>>47085158
People keep saying FATAL is a terrible system and nobody likes it, which is weird because I've played it and had a lot of fun. I guess I was having fun the wrong way.
>>
>>47084434
>>47085081
These pretty much sum up why I dislike Fate. I'm fine with rule-of-cool and players helping to shape the narrative, but Fate treads much too far into "cheap asspull plot armor" territory. When none of the consequences stick, the sense of drama lays down and dies.
>>
Fate is just a cheapened, whored-up FUDGE. And somehow managed to become less versatile in the process.
>>
>>47083814

Why are your words so asinine, and why would people willingly read them?
>>
>>47083814
Because of Tohsaka's anus.
>>
>>47084434
>DESU, the Fate point economy kind of bothers me to.
Well yeah, it does the same thing to immersion that third-world landmine fields do to the careers of aspiring soccer players. All these narrative names with their metagame mechanics do that. It sucks.
>>
>>47088012
>it does the same thing to immersion that third-world landmine fields do to the careers of aspiring soccer players
Haha, ok that was funny. I still think you are wrong and a fucking idiot, but that sentence made me laugh.
>>
>>47083814
It is an enjoyable experience where I can play the character concept I have, not one of the character concepts the designer decided to put into the game.

Also, it's very enjoyable when everyone can join in and put together parts of the world. That doesn't happen in most games, even if the systems don't disallow something like it.
>>
>>47084344

> where it's more about the roleplaying than the rollplaying.

I like FATE but holy shit this line makes me want to hate it because of people like you. Fuck off with your "our roleplaying is superior because we play le ebin obscure system that isn't Pathfinder" crap.

So many D&D games and GURPS games have more roleplaying than your fedora-clad head will ever contain, yet you shit on anyone who doesn't play your obscure hipster system of choice. THAT is the real reason people hate FATE. Not the system, the people who play it.

I genuinely hope you die of liver cancer.
>>
File: roll20mostplayedgames.png (489 KB, 434x1920) Image search: [Google]
roll20mostplayedgames.png
489 KB, 434x1920
>>47091112
>obscure
There are plenty of valid reasons for somebody to not like FATE, but to call it hipster shit at this point is just dumb.
>>
>>47091358
>more people play World of Darkness than people who play all the White Wolf games put together
>more people play Vampire: The Masquerade than people who play all the White Wolf games put together
Wut
>>
>>47091112
Relax man, it's just an expression, calm down. I was just talking about the emphasis of storytelling and narrating over gaming the system and playing the numbers.

I am not making a claim that there is no roleplaying in any other game. We played other games before we started on fate, and have many great stories about them. We just felt that sometimes the game got in the way of the... er... game. It's hard to explain, we just found our way to fate and love it here. That is all.
>>
>>47091413
It's based on who tags their game as what. Some people tag their game as VtM, others World of Darkness, and the really confusing people tag it as White Wolf.
>>
>>47091413
I assume people are habitually tagging their games with the more specific category and not the more general one. Or maybe you only are allowed to pick one such tag, I can't recall.
>>
>>47085081
>tl;dr it's fine, but it feels fake to me.

As someone who primarily GMs, rather than somebody who gets to play that often, I quite enjoy Fate because it more explicitly places some of the responsibility for telling a good story into the hands of the players. While the players might get less sense of "oh, that's a surprise!" in a game of Fate, I get more "oh, that's a surprise!" as the GM in a game of Fate.

I guess any game that mixes up the relationship between player and GM is going to alienate some potential players.
>>
>>47090698
And I think you're a fucking faggot getting ass-blasted because your precious beer and pretzels. Collaborative Storytelling Experience is coming under fire and you and your group need its retarded metagame economy as a crutch to keep the story moving, because otherwise you're all incompetent. But at least you have a decent sense of humor.

Frenemies?
>>
>>47093691
Guy you quoted here, I was actually speaking as a GM too. Things feel less "wondrous" in Fate, for both myself and my players, for reasons that are difficult to totally quantify (the lack of surprise is just one factor, though an important one). We don't mind collaboration at all, there's something (or some things) about Fate specifically that cheapens the experience for us.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.