[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls LORE THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Dark Souls Lore Thread: Traditional Gaming Edition.

Please feel free to discuss any theories, speculations or ask any questions you may have about any of the souls games in the trilogy.

Previous thread here: >>47055751
>>
>>47074730
Back to >>>/v/
>>
>>47074820
>I'm no expert, but shouldn't this thread be on /v/?

It can, but "Lore" realistically has more applicable purpose in /tg/ than it does in /v/ concerning applying it to world building, story development or other various traditional gaming aspects.
It does if you feel inspired or motivated by the lore and story of darksouls, but it doesn't if you only appreciate it from a purely game mechanics level.

I mean, that's what I'v reasoned at least.
>>
Does Gwyndolin have tits? Are her tentacles erogenous?
>>
File: k2mECXZ[1].jpg (398 KB, 1229x1007) Image search: [Google]
k2mECXZ[1].jpg
398 KB, 1229x1007
>>47074901
>Does Gwyndolin have tits?

Yes, the concept art shows him without his gown on. I'd say he has a B or C cup maybe?

>Are her tentacles erogenous?
No, they're his legs. He has snakes for legs. He uses them to slither about.
>>
>>47074730
Dude, come on, this is totally /v/.

"traditional gaming edition".

Come on, man. Fuck.
>>
File: Alva.jpg (339 KB, 712x1920) Image search: [Google]
Alva.jpg
339 KB, 712x1920
>>47074820
>>47074845
>>47075072
I used to think this too, and given the opportunity to start the threads myself I would frame them in a much more directly applicable context for /tg/, but as it stands the storycraft stuff is useful for gaming. After all, we tolerate many other videogame franchise lore domains (warcraft, elder scrolls) for exactly the same reasons. DaS does not get to be the exception to this rule just because the new game is out or because it's hip and you're contrarian.

Admittedly, I would like to discuss more the directly /tg/ related stuff. What content from souls lore have you cribbed for other games? I've definitely stolen thematic aspects of the cycles/linking thing, and even run a tough dungeon grind game where the players were cursed with an undeath mechanic that reset enemies.
>>
>>47074901
>her

Oh you sweet summer child. You're crushing on a vengeful confusing trap that you'll never get to do anything more than hear unless you want to kill him.
>>
>>47075072
>>47074858
>>47074845
There's literally a ss13 thread up right now you should be bitching in.
At least lore is /tg/ you triple niggers.
>>
>>47075178
I ran an arc shortly after bloodborne came out that cribbed a bunch of stuff from it. Our villain had a hugely impractical Ludwig Greatsword because he was using necromancy to create giant deathmonsters out of corpses in an effort to level a city, and hopefully lure out a Faerie Wild Hunt to chase after said monster and level the country the city was in. He had the sword because in order to actually really damage the monsters he made in the even they got out of his control, he needed a weapon that was stupidly big and heavy.
He also had a mask designed after the Bone Ash set, because fuck if that wasn't cool as hell, and worked really well with the aesthetic we were going for.
>>
So. How do you think Anri would exactly act as the Champion of Ash/Ashen One's Queen/King?

Like would (s)he be bro about it?

Would Anri go Lady MacBeth on Ash?

Also, would Anri be ok with having the Fire Keeper around as a concubine?
>>
>>47075481
I think that they'd spend their eternal lives 'consumating their marriage' so to speak.
>>
>>47075178

I basically stole Heide's Tower of Flame and the Cathedral of Blue for a random dungeon on a crumbling island in my Pathfinder game.

Basic idea was that it was the home of a bunch of isolationist priest-scholars of an obscure knowledge god, but they were forced to teleport out and the earthquake's damage took the teleportation circle offline after they escaped (pre-established teleportation circles between major locations exist, although they're costly and inconvenient to use). The map was mostly the same, except I added the option to climb down to the half-submerged wreckage where the island had crumbled. The Old Knights were animated statues, while the others were all bound outsiders - Shaitan Genies for the Heide Knights, a rather pissed-off Jyoti for the Old Dragonslayer, and a Zuishin Kami for the Dragonrider. The outsiders had, after discussing it with one another, decided that they didn't want to be stuck guarding a crumbling island with no company and nothing to do, so they'd decided to interpret their orders to "Protect this temple from those who would harm it" in the most creative manner, in the hopes they'd get defeated and released from their bindings earlier rather than later.

I'm also planning on stealing the Shrine of Amana, albeit with some bigger changes (since, y'know, players can swim).
>>
File: 1420392776040.png (19 KB, 558x400) Image search: [Google]
1420392776040.png
19 KB, 558x400
>>47074730
Is Priscilla Gertrude?
>>
File: Ok then.gif (968 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
Ok then.gif
968 KB, 280x210
>>47075510
can Undead/Unkindled even do it anymore?
>>
>>47075624
I assume so, Chloanne does imply she wants to fuck the barer of the curse, maybe its only when hollowing has been reversed
>>
>>47075481
It would be a hollow marriage
>>
>>47075178
>What content from souls lore have you cribbed for other games?

I blatantly stole their magic system; if only because it GROSSLY stream lined the "sources" of magic in the setting and how both me and my players understand it.

Now there's only three sources of magic as inspired by the souls schools:

-Arcane/Sorceries
It's all you. It's all coming out of you and your intelligent manipulation of your own soul: this includes alchemy and enchantment. Arcane casters deal in LIGHT, ENERGY AND SOUND only- They can't "make" fire, move earth, or cast lighting bolts, etc.. I know, I know, "fire is energy, etc" but it's a cosmological thing- bare with me.

-Nature(Elementalism, druids, etc)/Pyromancies
It's a little bit of you and a little bit of earth, fire, plants, air and so forth. You're symbiotically entrenched in the world around you and so on and so forth. Naturalists can manipulate the elements: fire, earth, water, air and they can fuck around with plants as well.

-Divine/Miracles
Literally reciting the stories or instructions written by gods or their followers to cast spells borrowed from gods. I really like how Dark souls completely admits that Miracles are just stories you recite and they only work if you actually "believe" and "believe HARD enough".
>>
>>47075624
I'd imagine so, until they hollow they can basically do anything a normal human could.

Since New Londo and Londor are both said to be undead cities, I'd imagine that there are still some children born and some copulation between undead to pass the time.
>>
>>47074820
>>47074845
>>47075072

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

niggers
>>
>>47075853
those faggots need to show people the long term stretch goals, would probably make people more exited about it
>>
>>47075609
No.
>>
>>47075989

they already surpassed their long term stretch goals they have to come up with new ones, the goal was 50,000 hitting 2,000,000 shows people were really excited
>>
>>47076055
they've said that they have planned up to 4,000,000
>>
>>47074962
>Yes, the concept art shows him without his gown on.
>>47077518
You literally replied to it
>>
>>47075481
I honestly don't know for the first two question, because DS3 did a terrible job at making me care about the most prominent ally NPCs. Anri has less chemistry with the Ashen One than Solaire did with the Chosen Undead. For all I know it'll be a strictly political thing where she fucks off to repair Astoria while the Ashbro MAKES LONDOR GREAT AGAIN!

And for that reason, I'm going with who cares and yes for the last two questions.
>>
Okay, I just want to make sure I'm reading this right before backing the kickstarter.

If you back at £80, you get the core game + the non-boss stretch goal expansions (Player Characters + Iron Keep + Core Game Expansion + Armour sets + Invaders)?

And to compound my apparent lack of reading comprehension, does this shit all ship at the same time? Also, with kickstarters do you normally have to pay separately to your pledge for shipping?
>>
>>47077661
Not only is he still wearing a gown, but there are no breasts in that picture.
>>
>>47078088

the middle part.
>>
>>47078088
Look off to the left of gwyndy's pic.
The silhouette?
>>
>>47078101
Oh fuck, that's a side view. It looked like a general background pattern or something. Sorry, my mistake, looks like you're right.

I guess that ring in DS3 does have a direct link to Gwyndolin, then, that must be their explanation for that image from DS1. Gwyndolin was still born male, the ring must have been part of how he was forced to be raised as a girl. I thought they just threw it in as a general character-mod thing, I didn't realize it was meant to be a direct lore tie-in.
>>
>>47078128

Is the Ring of Reversal good for... anything at all?

I can't think of anything in the game it actually affects other than your walking animation, and even that is barely noticeable.

I can't think of any items or actions that are gender locked in the game.
>>
>>47078345
Yeah, it's pretty much purely cosmetic. But given how popular Fashion Souls can be, "purely cosmetic" is a perfectly valid use for an item.
>>
>>47078385

I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't fulfill the same role as the coffin from DS2, actually changing your gender.
>>
>>47078525
Yeah, I always sucked at making female PCs in DS2, so I'd always make a handsome male and hop into the coffin.
>>
Is my headcanon of DS3 Firelink being the Kiln of the First Flame from DS1 total bullshit? Or is it something that should be looked into?
>>
>>47079798
Given how screwy time and geography are in DS3, the answer could be yes, no, and maybe all at the same time. DS3's Kiln is a separate geographical area from the endgame version of Firelink but within visual range. The Soul of Cinder in the DS3 Kiln also uses Gwyn's theme and moves during the second phase. This implies that Firelink is not DS1's Kiln.
>>
How come there is never anything good in the DS world? It always leads to shit.
>>
>>47081988
The PCs' adventures are always set long after the good times have rolled. There's not much need for adventurers when the flame is still burning bright.
>>
>>47081988
It's probably pretty good for a while before things go to shit. I mean, all those grand cities have to be built, and there has to be plenty before the decadence can set in.
>>
>>47081988

It wouldn't be the end of the world if everything was still okay and happy.

If you want to see the good times come again, you gotta be willing to link that fire, bro.
>>
File: 1462103822464.png (269 KB, 800x976) Image search: [Google]
1462103822464.png
269 KB, 800x976
>>47082201
Besides, it's not like the apocalypse is all bad. Look on the bright side.

>At least one loyal waifu per adventure
>Several bros (Solaire, Onionbros, Lucatiel, Benhart, etc.)
>No taxes
>No need to eat
>Respawns
>Teleports cutting down on travel expenses
>All that fashion
>All those cool toys and spells to play with ad nauseam

Living the dream, baby.
>>
File: Crossbreed_Priscilla.jpg (205 KB, 614x800) Image search: [Google]
Crossbreed_Priscilla.jpg
205 KB, 614x800
>>47074730
Why is Priscilla so best? Is it because she's fluffy cuddly and you can use her as a chair?
>>
>>47082541
Bitch please. Reah best waifu for laifu!
>>
>>47082341
>Solaire
>the only one who actually flirts with you
>not the loyal waifu of DaS1
>>
>>47074730
What are gods?
>>
File: 24zmbfd.png (372 KB, 600x380) Image search: [Google]
24zmbfd.png
372 KB, 600x380
>>47082759
>Reah
>Best Waifu
Sure if you like someone who's only fate is to die. Might as well waifu Lucatiel of Mirrah, she's way better then Reah.
Best fluffy waifu is best.
>>
>>47082541
So what's the connection with her and Yorshka? Yorshka says Gwyn is her father and Gwynevere her sister, and she's found in the same area that the Painted World would have been. So is Priscilla not Gwynevere and Seath's daughter?
>>
>>47082968
All I know is she was suppose to be the Firekeeper and do all your upgrading and shit for you, but eventually got removed and placed in the Painted World.
>>
>>47075853
Quelaag stretch goal when?
>>
File: croak.png (28 KB, 480x451) Image search: [Google]
croak.png
28 KB, 480x451
>>47076028
Compelling.

I meant that, Gertrude certainly seems to be the daughter of Gwynevere, and appears to have had white feathers. She was said to have been very caring, and founded her own heretical faith after being visited by an angel. The Corvians that wield pricilla weapons that directly reference her are outcast in part because of their mutations, but also their heretical views. Mentioned in the lifehunt scythe spell description, Aldritch gleamed the knowledge of the spell while consuming Gwyndolin when he dreamt of a pale imprisoned girl, and while that sounds a little like the painting, Arimais itself is fucking NOWHERE to be found (and it's contents, which may have been the forefathers of the corvians, seem to have spilled in the absence of the painting guardians or gods.) During this time it's very plausible that the vision of Priscilla was of her imprisoned NOT in the painting, just at the same time that, presumably, Gertrude was imprisoned in the archives.

Gertrude herself was also imprisoned in the archives in part because of her heresy, but also so she might be invasively experimented upon, by none other than the heretical scholars that worshipped Seath (the pale drake.) We also know that her own chime was the "Crystal" chime.

I mean, I don't understand why the name would be different for any reason other than trying to hide her heritage, but some of the pieces seem to fit fairly well to me. I suppose it's possible that Gertrude was just another one of Gwynevere's daughters, but why then all these other references to crystals and dragons?
>>
>>47082818

They're pygmies that contain the Light Soul, making them immortal but tied to the First Flame's strength.
>>
>>47082066

Except dragonslaying, warfare, tomb delving and undead squashing were time-honored past times during the Age of Fire.
>>
>>47074962
I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I preferred it when I just imagined a literal boy with tentacles being under there. It added layers of weirdness to the character that I thought were important.

I guess it's kinda like Smough actually being swole as fuck under his armor instead of fat.
>>
So why did Aldritch eat Gwyndolin? Man was my favorite part of DS1. Definitely muh waifu!
>>
>>47083564
>So why did Aldritch eat Gwyndolin?
Wouldn't you?
>>
Did we ever figure out why the sun was bleeding dark stuff, or what Pilgrim Butterflies actually are?

Also, how many gods was Aldrich confirmed to eat? Was the demons' extinction because he ate what was left of the Witch of Izalith at one point?

Where in the world is Papa Nito?
>>
>>47083564
Nigga got religion, saw an age of deep water and decided he had to start eating gods to make it happen.

All the guards in his area bleed dark goo, implying he ate the originals and spat out some sort of weird dark dopplegangers.
>>
>>47083579
Yes but not in the way he did. I haven't gotten it yet waiting for the game of the year edition with all the dlc on it so forgive me if it's stated in game.
>>
>>47083609
See! Religion makes ya eat people! Stay atheist and just fuck them instead!
>>
>>47082341
DS2 takes the cake even if it had the worst plot overall though.

>gather the crowns of ancient kings, incidentally stopping one Child of the Dark's vengeance on the world and helping another fulfil her old flame's (no pun intended) benevolent wishes, which Vendrick sorta fuses together to make a super crown presumably charged by exposure to their hella buff souls which protects you from going Hollow.
>allowing you to live forever as a human
>>
>>47083634
But anon being atheist also makes you rebel against the gods' order, it just means you start turning into dickwraiths, running amock performing experimentations on primordial man and teaming up to gank some noobs' humanity to keep turning into a bigger and badder dickwraith
>>
>>47083590
Nito died in DkS1, along with Seath, the Bed of Chaos, and 4kids.

The only god confirmed to be eaten by Aldrich (as far as I know) is Gwyndolin, but I believe I read something in the past about a theory of him having eaten Irithyll's pantheon as well. Not sure if that's true though.

Pilgrim Butterflies are what the Pilgrims of Londor's corpses became, I think. How or why, I do not know.
>>
>>47083773
I know, but the OG Lords reincarnated in DS2. But in DS3 Gwyn seems to be all that's left, and his soul is kinda clumped with all the other sacrificed undeads'.

Who was Irithyll's pantheon?

Well that's...weird. Why are those a thing now? That never happened in the other games. Is it just an Unkindled thing since the other games just had undead with darksigns?
>>
>>47083974
>Why are those a thing now?
If you're referring to Pilgrim Butterflies, the answer is probably Abyss weirdness. Remember the turtle shells on their backs? They're presumably keeping the corruption from exploding outward. For some, losing the shell seems to result in the hollow tree stage then the butterfly stage. For others, like Gundyr, it becomes the Pus of Man instead.
>>
>>47083773

Aldrich ate the Silver Knights.

Silver Knights are gods.
>>
>>47082787
I'd engage in some jolly co-operation with him.
>>
>>47084489

>2016
>not cordially intruding

Nito pls
>>
>>47084143
Someone last thread mentioned that the evangelists taught the people of the Undead Settlement to plant seeds in the hollows to try and cure them.
>>
>>47084614
Judging by the item description on the Greatwood soul, the attempted cure involved transferring the undead curse into the tree rather than seeding people.

Also, the cleric set lore says:
>They bore large covers on their backs to ensure that they would not become seedbeds for spreading darkness.

Since pilgrims and clerics wore those turtle shells even before they arrived in Lothric, it either means that the "seeds" are implanted by something else or that the evangelists traveled far and wide. The lack of evangelists beyond the settlement and cathedral areas, however, doesn't lend credence to the latter idea.
>>
I blatantly stole Gwyn as an optional boss.
>>
File: DS3_Cemetary_of_Ash_6.0[1].jpg (612 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DS3_Cemetary_of_Ash_6.0[1].jpg
612 KB, 1920x1080
>>47084614
>>47084733

The Evangelists instructed the people of the Undead Settlement to do a lot of terrible things to the cursed and the undead (which could be either or both depending most likely)

-The at first began to decapitate, cut up, bleed out and simply process the bodies as best they could. The Deep Cathedral grave warden's blades says that bleeding a body dry and essentially dismembering it seems to make bodies take longer to "revive" when they're hollowed. It's a sort of torture and execution.

-They also began to put them in cages so they could do 2 things: some of them were sent down to the cathedral of the deep on the road of snack-rifices to be fed to Aldrich. The others were thrown into that pit where the mound maker's covenant is to be used as fertalizer or stored in the Cursedwood tree.

-The third thing the did was to plant trees into the darksign of the undead: some people simply died and stayed dead as the tree grew up and out of them as you can see from all the dried out bodies sitting around in the settlement. I believe though that other people kept growing even in death and eventually revived into those "pilgrim butterflies".

>They bore large covers on their backs to ensure that they would not become seedbeds for spreading darkness.

This is referring to the turtle shells the Londor pilgrims wear and the cleric pilgrims wear: If you have a look at any of those hollows or IUDEX GUNDYR you'll notice the Abyss has grown on their backs.
My only guess is the Abyss crawls onto you FROM YOUR SHADOW and burrows into your darksign or something while you're not looking- slowly, very slowly over time.
>>
>>47085568
If you encounter the two dragons, the Abyss actually grows on their rear, toward the leg. You're right about it taking a lot of time though. First gameplay, I waited and the dragons simultaneously died to the Abyss. Second time, I raced up and found the abyss still festering and attacking it resulted in the dragon's immediate death.
>>
>>47075853
So is this any good, you guys think?

Is it worth getting?

Are the minis Warhammer scale?
>>
>>47086250

Game seems neat, emphasis on boss fights driven by a card deck that isn't shuffled, so you memorize a move set and reach accordingly while trying to get into weak spots. Probably going to keep in the same vein of it being very difficult.

Not sure if worth getting. If you're invested and interested in Dark Souls already, why not?

The minis I'm not sure, but it seems likely they're either 28 or 32mm scale, roughly Heroic or a little larger.
>>
>>47086540
Thanks.
>>
File: solaire.jpg (167 KB, 1293x618) Image search: [Google]
solaire.jpg
167 KB, 1293x618
>>47082787
>>
>>47082985
where are you getting this info?
>>
Are they making Halfbreed Fluffytail as a model?
>>
File: 1441621259971.gif (254 KB, 475x317) Image search: [Google]
1441621259971.gif
254 KB, 475x317
>>47085568

>FROM YOUR SHADOW
>>
>>47083590
One theory I heard was that the sun itself was being consumed by the dark and was dripping dark into the land.
IMHC, the pilgrims travel to lothric, where archtree seeds they've planted in their backs turn them into trees, which grow until they break away from the ground into pilgrim butterflies. These grow and flesh themselves out until they become dragons. This is based on the recent return of stone dragons into the series and the fact that anusface Giants have a weird xenomorph like life cycle where a giant dies, becoming a tree, whose fruit grows into a tree that becomes a giant. Archtrees and dragons were always linked, and giants are implied to exist outside of the cycle of regular life and death too.
Nobody knows about Aldrich. Definitely Gwyndolin live, maybe Nito's corpse, judging by that gravelord sword on his catalyst.
Nito probably stopped respawning because Aldrich ate his essence, Gwyn because so many chosen undead killed him that his entire soul entered a closed loop in the kiln, Seath may have reincarnated, as either Oceiros or the stone dragon in the dragon area, the witch, fuck knows. Maybe DLC.
>>
What's the deal with the sewer centipedes in Irithyll?

Also, the shackles of the gods on people's vertebra?
>>
>>47089307
>What's the deal with the sewer centipedes in Irithyll?
They're there to be spooky. Seeing as the ones in the Profaned Capital hang around a toxic morass, they probably just like to live in shit. They're far more fucked up than the rest of Irithyll's inhabitants, so they may have originated in the Profaned Capital and migrated to the surface.
>>
>>47089307
>What's the deal with the sewer centipedes in Irithyll?

They're just some sort of monster that dwells in shit.

If you look around you find them in the sewers as well as the toxic/poison pits of the profaned capital. I don't think they have any lore so much as they're literally just human-centipedes who wallow in poopie.

>Also, the shackles of the gods on people's vertebra?

This is something that the mound-makers believe, but might not necessarily be "true" per-say.
>>
>>47074962
Are those tentacles coming out of it's butt?

Also what the fuck is with the hollow/dead/undead/unhollowed/dark sign/whatever bullshit?
>>
>>47090225
>Are those tentacles coming out of it's butt?

It can be difficult to see, but the snakes come out from -his- legs starting just below the knee.
>>
>>47075735
I do like this a lot about dark souls.
>>
>>47090225
The dark sign brands humans as undead. Some humans don't have the dark sign. They die and they die for good. But when someone with the dark sign dies, an undead, they come back and just lose all their souls. As one keeps dying, however, they start to hollow. Hollowing is a combination of the zombification of their body and the loss of their sanity. Dying over and over in a world as bleak as dark souls isn't good for one's mental health. Hollowing and being hollow are two different things that the first game doesn't do a good job of distincting. Being a Hollow is when an undead has lost all hope and purpose, and turns into a hostile, mindless creature.
>>
>>47090423
Does the DS3 mechanic of Hollowing change the meaning of what it means to be Hollow? Because Londor is said to be a land of Hollows, to the point where it seems Hollow seems to be interchangeable with undedible in DS3.
>>
>>47090480
I think it's the same. Just that the PC, as an Unkindled isn't undead. It's someone who died for good who was brought back by the tolling of the Bell to bring the Lords to their thrones. I think.
>>
Reminder that the Dragonslayer Armor belongs to an unnamed third Dragonslayer who served both Ornstein and Nameless King.
Source: Sacred Oath.
Source on Ornstein being Nameless King's first knight: Leo Ring.
>>
Embered mode in DS3 is apparently called Lord of Cinder mode officially, which implies that the Ashen One is a newborn Lord or was a Lord in a past life. If the "Lord of Cinder" mode is taken literally, what the hell does that imply lorewise for all the embered Ghru hanging out in the Smoldering Lake ruins?
>>
>>47090910
it implies that they are fire themed enemies in a fire themed zone. Its a palette swap.
>>
>>47090731
How is an Unkindled not undead? They have the Dark Sign, right?
>>
>>47090910
theyre just really hot and crispy from living in some hot and crispy ruins
>>
>>47090987
>They have the Dark Sign, right?

VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>47090987
Unfortunately, the dark sign in your inventory is just a side effect of video game, I think.
When your character dies in dark souls 3, they do not hollow. And you don't see any dark sign on their body.
Only after you get a dark sigil, a mini dark sign of some kind, do you begin hollowing on death. And I think it shows up on your body where a dark sign is.
Unkindled aren't actually undead and by default don't have a dark sign on them, nor can they go hollow.
>>
>>47091002
The machete guys, black knights, and rats lack the ember effects, however. Was this just a dev oversight, then?
>>
>>47090480
I think it WAS a land of undead, but now that the world has gone to pot they've all gone hollow and it's a land of hollows.
>>
>>47091050
>Only after you get a dark sigil, a mini dark sign of some kind, do you begin hollowing on death. And I think it shows up on your body where a dark sign is.

I think it's implied that every Undead has a Dark Sigil, so the only time you'd need to bring it up is when you actually get one.

If the Dark Sign is a hole in the soul (hence why when you die you lose your souls on the spot, your souls spurt out of the Dark Sign and form a congealed mass on the ground), you could say the Dark Sigil is the Dark Soul that's leaking out of it. Successive deaths means the Dark Sigil gapes wider, allowing more of the Dark Soul to shine through.
>>
What'll be the DLCs be? Londor?
>>
>>47091167
My guess is probably some kind of Lovecraftian Deep related DLC, maybe a desert type one set in Carthus.

I doubt we'll go to Londor, because we'll never go to any of the more "civilized" parts of the world.
>>
>>47091167

I really really *really* want a DLC featuring Aldia and the Bearer of the Curse, because showing off those who actually beat the Cycle would fit right into the narrative of Dark Souls 3.

Plus it'd give us an excuse to hear more of Aldia's sweet, sweet voice.
>>
>>47091072
there are giant crabs and slimes with the ember effect. i think the devs just didnt feel like making every enemy in the zone fiery.
>>
>>47091167
I'm betting stuff about Ocelotte, or Gertrude and the Angels.
>>
>>47091246
Ds2 is a non-canon gaiden game. :^)
>>
>>47091167
Painted world, I hope.
>>
>>47091321

But Scholar of the First Sin was not only the best game in the series, it was the most philosophical.
>>
>>47091350
there is nothing in DS3 that ties back to the plot of DS2, beyond a shield in an optional area. its not happening.
my guess is Londor ( sable church/ Yurias sisters? Kaathe) and Lothric (angels/ the Queen/ Ocelette),
also Gwynevere to finally show up in person so we can go three for three on Gwyn's kids
>>
>>47091350
Dark souls 2 was a steaming pile of shit that scholar merely brought up to a passable level.
The ""philosophy"" it focused on was stupid too. "The curse of life is the curse of want" my ass. Not to mention the constant theme of "this has all happened before and will happen again" was stupid.
>>
I'm entirely new to this shit.
How do I begin?

Not just at the games, but at the lore too.
>>
>>47092477
There's more than just that. You got the shield, a giant tree, the whole stuff with Drang. I feel a lot of it is super implied.

I'm actually thinking that we'll get a DLC dealing with the Painted World somehow. Since we have the Corvians and all that oblique referencing with Aldritch, I'd love to see something where we go to the now absolutely fucked up painted world. I mean, we know that Aldritch knew that Priscylla was there, and he has Lifehunt, but we don't know if he managed to actually get into the painted world, or what happened to it if he did.

That said, a Carthus one would be awesome. They've never done a really desert-y area in a souls game yet, and I think it would be super cool.
>>
>>47092528
Play the games and make sure to read the item descriptions.

Or just watch some basic lore videos on Youtube.
>>
>>47092539
Okay, will do.
I thought this was going to be much harder then.
>>
>>47092528
Honestly in my experience, a lot of the the fun behind the lore is just kind of figuring it out. If you can't play the games, go read some descriptions of items, or look up some videos. Talk with other fans about ideas and theories. Look at old artbooks and stuff. In the end, you get a fun experience out of it, and you get the feeling of accomplishment that comes with figuring out a bunch of cool theories.

That said, we definitely need a kind of setting primer for dark souls to explain the general basics, like hollowing, the lord souls, the first flame, and all that jazz. I tried explaining a souls game to a friend of mine, and it's really difficult to do without explaining the mechanics first, since most everything ties back to those.
>>
>>47092528
1.play dark souls 1
2.read the item descriptions
3.form your own conclusions
4. become mildly obsessive, and try to fit your conclusions and opinions around the contradictions and plot holes you that will find in the games lore
5. realize that you are putting far more thought into this shit than the Developers are.
>>
>>47092531
Its about as implied as all the Ds1 references in Ds2 were, and Drang has as much weight on the setting as Astora or Farossa do at this point.
I can see them doing something with the painted world, but I wish they wouldn't
Carthus would be cool, i agree. I doubt we will see it, though
>>
>>47088239
>whose fruit grows into a tree that becomes a giant
?
>>
>>47091203
Why do people keep thinking Carthus will show up in DLC?
>>
>>47093878
From is all about time travel into the past for their dlcs for some reason.
>>
>>47092477
>there is nothing in DS3 that ties back to the plot of DS2, beyond a shield in an optional area. its not happening.
The shield, Faraam armor (which explicitly calls back to DS2's tagline), Drang weapons, armor, and dudes, the Giant tree, Gilligan, also it's heavily implied that Aldia convinced Lothric not to link the flame.
>>
>>47093902
How do we know we traveled to the past in DS2 DLC's?
>>
>>47090987
>>47091050
>>47091124
As far as I've come to understand it, the tolling of the bell had placed the curse of the dark sign upon those that were already dead and thus not linked to the first fire, which is why you don't go hollow when you die, you're not feeding the first flame with your humanity. So ultimately you are truly immortal, outside of the cycle in a sense, all the best parts of the curse. But I guess at that point, from being totally dead and all the PC doesn't really have a soul, which is why they keep calling the unkindled a "vessel", they can hold lord souls in place of their own. The ember I guess is humanity of sorts (The item image is very similar to humanity from Ds1) that's linked to the first flame, and in consuming them, you're linking yourself to the first flame for a time until you die and that linked humanity is consumed and you're unkindled once more.

The Dark Sigil however is tied to the abyss. Yuria shows up once PC has enough of them, and being a Darkstalker looking to bring about the Age of Dark kind of tipped me off to that fact. So every time you die, you're feeding the abyss instead of the first flame.

I'm basing a lot of this on VaatiVidya's headcannon though, it seems to make more sense to me than other theories.
>>
>>47093934
You don't actually travel to the past in the DS2 DLC's for the most part. With the exception of Sir Alonne, which is you traveling in the memory of the Old Iron King to fight him, all of the DS2 DLC's are in present day, but all deal with kingdoms who have long since fell to ruin. You aren't time traveling, but you're exploring a place that you might as well be time traveling to considering that it's been almost completely forgotten by the rest of the world, but has ties to it.
>>
File: gwyndolin.jpg (381 KB, 1045x852) Image search: [Google]
gwyndolin.jpg
381 KB, 1045x852
Gwyndolin is the saddest character in the entire series
>Be born with an affinity for the wrong type of magic so daddy keeps your existence a secret and raises you as a girl
>Forced to see the decline of your race's rule drive your dad mad and make your sister and all the other gods leave
>Dad dies
>Left on your own in your dad's tomb for a thousand years with no one for company but a handful of knights, a giant cannibal, a blacksmith, that crazy bitch Velka and a snake with bad breath
>Wait for the day your plan finally comes to fruition and the world is saved
>An Undead that meets the requirements finally shows up
>Quite possibly kills you
>If they don't kill you then they link the fire but it's only a temporary fix
>Remain in your lonely cathedral for thousands more years, watching the world go increasingly to shit around you
>Your entire city and the lands it's built on crumbles away over time
>Dad's last knight dies
>The executioner dies
>The giant black smith dies
>Velka and Frampt leave
>The humans you feared so much build another city right underneath your feet
>The insane sorcerer king captures you and your last few loyal knights
>Get fed, alive, to a giant slime monster that indulges in eating its victims slowly
>Have your corpse puppeted around

Manipulating Undead into coming to Lordran and sacrificing themselves wasn't noble by any means, but in the end all Gwyndolin wanted to do was to save the world (or, at least, the Age of Fire/the rule of the gods - but considering how things have turned out since the reign of the old gods ended, can we honestly say he was wrong to try?).
>>
>>47091167
>>47091203
>>47093878
All of the Dark Souls DLCs so far have expanded on the Abyss (Artorias of the Abyss, obviously, and while the Dark Souls 2 DLCs focused on it far less so they had the other shards of Manus playing key roles), so I wouldn't be surprised if we were given something to do with Carthus given how heavily Wolnir became involved with the Abyss. Given that the Carthus Catacombs located in Lothric (outside Lothric? I'm not sure if Lothric is the entire land Dark Souls 3 covers or just the city state) it seems the rest of Carthus is either quite close, or was there but the desert became fertile again over time. So, maybe we'll get some sort of time travel plot again, or descend even further into the catacombs.

Alternatively, we might get something which expands more heavily on The Deep. The religion is incredibly prominent in the game but we learn very little about the thing it is they're worshipping. However, it might very well be some aspect of the Abyss (deep gems doing dark damage, Aldrich counting as an Abyssal creature), so if my theory about every DLC having something to do with the Abyss holds true, we might learn more about it.

Or, we might learn more about the Profaned Capital - what the fuck is the Profaned Flame, for one thing? Perhaps we'll learn a little more about (the different types) of giants.

Or maybe it'll be something that seems quite minor but is mentioned a handful of times, like Drang.

Maybe we'll find out what's going on with the rest of the Lord Souls by the time of Dark Souls 3, assuming Dark Souls 2's reincarnation thing is still canon.

Maybe we'll get more about Irithyll and the Boreal Valley. I'm not the only one who thinks the Boreal Valley was created when Ariamis' painting sort of rotted away/broke open and its frigid interior sort of spilled into the outsider world, right?
>>
So I love pyromancy

I like that it's a separate form of magic, that it's got it's own rules, that it's easy to uee, that your spell focus is literally a flame

What exactly is a pyromancy flame when you're not using it? Is it something you literally keep in your pocket (burning everything?) or is there something weird going on like you store it inside of you? Can you lose it?
>>
>>47096489
Pyromancy is life magic so it's quite possible your pyromancy flame is stored inside of you.
>>
>>47096489
probabily a similar flame to the lord flame in that it can be held, put down and such. It also probabily doesn't burn off matarials but souls or life or something.
>>
>>47096489
The physical flames you see are an effect of the pyrpomancy flame, not the flame itself. The flame is inside you, making up all of who you are. You just open up a tiny part of it to make your hand set itself on fire so you can use your pyromancies.
>>
>>47096428
>Or maybe it'll be something that seems quite minor but is mentioned a handful of times, like Drang.
A... Are you dense?
Drang is Drangleic, dude.
>>
>>47096428
>I'm not the only one who thinks the Boreal Valley was created when Ariamis' painting sort of rotted away/broke open and its frigid interior sort of spilled into the outsider world, right?
Holy fuck. If you were the only one before, you're not anymore.
>>
>>47096428
>Boreal Valley
>Painted World
Maybe, but its proximity to the Profaned Flame also hints that it may be a little slice of Eleum Loyce, too/instead.
>>
>>47098215
Profaned Flame and Chaos Flame are very, very different. Eleum Loyce was built on top of the Chaos Flame.

For starters, the Chaos Flame is gone, while the Profaned Flame is recent and still raging.
>>
>>47098461
>very, very different
The Profane stuff in DS3 seems way too similar to Chaos to be completely coincidental and unrelated. Why does the Profane Flame just happen to produce horrific monstrosities underneath a frozen wasteland? The Eleonora item that drops in the Capital also mentions an oracle, the same descriptor used for Alsanna. There might be implication there that the Profaned Flame is some twisted offshoot of the Chaos Flame.
>>
>>47098116
Wouldn't Anor Londo be a winter wasteland since the painting was in the middle of that area?
>>
>>47096343
The games are littered with character who had it worse, but yes, From did go out of their way to make a punching bag out of him.
>>
>>47098664
No, seriously, they are confirmed to be seperate things.
Soul of a Demon explicitly states that the Chaos Flame has faded and is gone, and demons are pretty much extinct because of that.
Profaned Flame is a fairly recent creation and is still going strong.
Chaos Flame came from the Witch of Izalith and burns all in its path while creating life (demons).
Profaned Flame 'came from the sky' and exclusively burns flesh while leaving everything else untouched.
Profaned Flame is more associated with Dark than Chaos. The only thing they have in common is that they're both flames, but then so is the First Flame.
>>
>>47091167
PLEASE BE IN LONDOR
>>
>>47098215
>Dark Souls 2 shit
>canon in the main games

hehe, nice meme
>>
>>47098910
LONDOR
OO
N_N
D__D
O___O
R____R
>>
>>47098664
>>47098886
Old Chaos =/= Chaos Flame. Learn your lore you dumbshits.
>>
>>47098945
>Shield of Want
>Drang armor
>Lucatiel's armor
>The giant tree
>Faraam set
>>
>>47098952

#MakeLondorGreatAgain
>>
>>47098956

There is literally nothing to suggest the Old Chaos is not the Chaos Flame, and everything to suggest it is.
>>
>>47098997
>loreless cameos
>hurr durr its canon it totally is

it has no significance in terms of lore or story. it's just there to pander to DS2 babbies or (like the Faraam armor) because it was an armor design that isnt 100% shit
>>
>>47099057

Which is a real shame, considering DaS 3 was pretty much one long parade of Miyazaki stroking the dicks of every fanboy that whispered "Dark Souls" every night before going to bed.
>>
>>47098956
I'm getting flashbacks to the /v/ threads.
Please go back there. /tg/ lore threads are for rational people only.
>>
>>47099109
yes, the actual Dark Souls deserves to be remembered. B-Team's fan project deserves nothing but ridicule.
>>
>>47099057
>loreless
>Having their own item descriptions and lore
>Item lore talking about events that happened "long ago," indicating that DS2 is part of the timeline
>Creighton showing up in Irithyll
>Handmaid's similarities to DS2's fire keepers
>Drakeblood set
>Nashandra portrait in Irithyll
>Soul of Cinder casts a beefed up Splintering Lightning Spear miracle in phase 2

DS2 happened. It's not relevant to the Ashen One's adventure, but it's still obviously part of the timeline.
>>
>>47099146
>>Soul of Cinder casts a beefed up Splintering Lightning Spear miracle in phase 2

GRASPING FOR STRAWS
>>
>>47099182
Many DS1 fans argue that the Soul of Cinder contains the Chosen Undead because of stuff like the Dark Wood Grain Ring backflip. It's the same logic.
>>
>>47099210
>dark wood grain ring
>chosen undead
More like the shiva's bodyguard
Are they saying the soul of cinder is the amalgamation of every minor npc?
>>
>>47099057
>loreless cameos
>he hasn't read sunset shield's item description
so i guess you probably thought the Sunless Realms referred to Anor Londo or something
>>
>>47099210
Not really. It's soul states that it's everyone who's linked the fires. That canonically includes the Chosen Undead.
>>
Was Wolnir and actual capital L Lord or was he just a regular lord?
>>
>>47099251
No, just of every person to link the flame. SoC's first phase incorporates multiple fighting styles meant to mirror some of the builds players used in past games. The presence of the DWGR backflip is allegedly a hint that the Chosen Undead is in there somewhere, since the DWGR is a DS1 exclusive.

>>47099281
>canonically
Unless I missed other item descriptions, this doesn't confirm the Chosen Undead linking the flame. It just means that other people did after Gwyn. There's still the small possibility that the Chosen Undead walked away, since any number of people could have lined up after the events of DS1.
>>
>>47099273
What are the sunless realms?
>>
>>47099364
>Unless I missed other item descriptions, this doesn't confirm the Chosen Undead linking the flame. It just means that other people did after Gwyn. There's still the small possibility that the Chosen Undead walked away, since any number of people could have lined up after the events of DS1.
The Soul of Cinder is everyone who ever linked the flame, but the boss is very blatantly designed to make you think 'oh cool it's the chosen undead!'
Moveset, armor, everything. That's the vibe you're supposed to get from it. It's theoretically possible that Chosen Undead didn't link the fire but the game wants you to assume that he did for maximum nostalgia points, so arguing that he didn't is kind of missing the point.
>>
File: Giant_dad_stunlocks.png (835 KB, 1191x669) Image search: [Google]
Giant_dad_stunlocks.png
835 KB, 1191x669
>>47099458
>Moveset, armor, everything
>tfw none of his movesets include Giantdad or Havelmom
>>
>>47074901
From what we can tell he has a woman's body, disregarding the snakes, though if we assume that he was indedd Yorshka's "brother", he didn't consider himself a woman.
>>
>>47099548
>no "well what is it" after SoC kills you

From really dropped the ball on that boss
>>
>>47099621
Just to drive home the fact that he was an embodiment of every DS1 PC, it would have been fun to see the Soul of Cinder occasionally dipping into goofy loadouts and clothing choices like dual greatshields or the naked ass-slapping archer.
>>
>>47098034
please don't bully me i didn't play much of dark 2 so i don't spot things from it easily

>>47098116
It would also explain Yorshka being out and about if she is, or is related to, Priscilla in some way.

>>47098215
If that were the case it would mean that Irithyll is quite possibly Eleum Loyce, or built on the same site, and that Eleum Loyce was built on the same site as Anor Londo. As some other anons have said though, I don't think the Profaned Flame and the Chaos Flame are one and the same.

If anything, the Profaned Capital's location means it might be (built on) the remains of New Londo or another Dark Souls 1 site.

>>47098836
It is a winter wasteland, my dude. The Boreal Valley's fucking cold and Anor Londo is covered in frost.
>>
>>47099132

DARK SOULS 2 WAS GOOD, GOD DAMMIT.
>>
>>47099755
Yeah, where's my SL1 run. I'm sure more people had pyromancy, and reinforced club than spear and mircles.

But why does SoC not have a shield, as if noone parried Gwyn.
>>
>>47099281
>That canonically includes the Chosen Undead.

Chosen Undead canonically did not Link the Fire.

You find Ciaran's ring near the Untended Firelink Shrine amidst a squad of Black Knights, and the eyes you find on the Firekeeper's corpse are described as "the first."
>>
>>47099406
the description on the sunset shield says it's from the Sunless Realms. The sunset shield is identical to Lucatiel's shield. They're talking about Mirrah. Same reason Creighton shows up in Sirris' questline, he's from Mirrah too.
>>
>>47099786
>It would also explain Yorshka being out and about if she is, or is related to, Priscilla in some way.
I assumed that she was Ocelotte, adopted by Gwyndolyn and later inprisioned by Sullyvahn.

Given that Priscilla was the "antitheseís to life" it seems unlikely that she'd be capable of reproducing.
>>
File: 1461339219519.jpg (559 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461339219519.jpg
559 KB, 1920x1080
>>47099809
>parry-fishing SoC
>also uses an ultra greatsword to mock all the fake Guts cosplayers
>when he starts losing, he switches to a straight sword
Or would that hit a little too close to home for players?
>>
>>47099362

He was just a regular lord that conquered all the lands of Carthus (which sound like a vast subterranean land of catacombs and lakes) and was a huge pussy terrified of dying.
>>
>>47099836
>>47099406

Is Mirrah literally sunless in Dark Souls 3, or do you think it's referencing how the annual warfare waged by or on Mirrah has turned it into a grim, dismal place without light or hope?
>>
Why exactly do humanity sprites stop appearing after Dark Souls 1, save for dark sorceries and pyromancies?

What the fuck are human effigies?

Assuming an Unkindled is not the same thing as/a unique form of/not a synonym for Undead, making it reasonable for the Champion of Ash to have no need to collect humanity (indeed, whoever somehow caused the creation of Unkindled ones probably made them unable to amass humanity on purpose), what the fuck is an Ember? Even if 'Unkindled' is just a synonym for 'Undead,' still what the fuck is an Ember?

Do you guys think deep soul dregs are humanity sprites in some way?

>>47099876
This except Carthus was a desert land. Either the catacombs are in a different country for some reason, Carthus is somewhere close by but we don't see it because it's behind mountains or something, or it's been so long the desert has become fertile again.
>>
>>47099861

Were the Fallen Knights a rebellious order of Drakebloods? Their armor seems an awful lot like the Drakebloods.
>>
>>47099895
Maybe it sunk into the ground because the Arch-Trees caught on fire.>>47099895
>>
>>47099908
Maybe they ran away after they woke up the dragon in Shulva?
>>
>>47099906
I feel like the Carthus Catacombs may have moved from it's original home.

Similar to how Izalith and a few other places are potentially transistory.
>>
>>47099832
>Chosen Undead canonically did not Link the Fire.
Go ahead and show me the evidence where he canonically let the flame die, because that's the only alternative.
>>
>>47099958
Don't even.

He's clearly too autistic to get it just from fighting the SoC. So I doubt he'll ever get it.
>>
File: consider raziel.jpg (29 KB, 680x332) Image search: [Google]
consider raziel.jpg
29 KB, 680x332
>>47099895
It's not really explained. Think about this for a second, though:

>Mirrah has a second order of knights focused on assassination
>Yorshka claims there have been no Darkmoon Knights for generations, despite Sirris claiming to be one
>yfw you were helping her carry out hits for her order this whole time
>>
>>47099958
>>47099972

>Eyes of the first firekeeper
>You find Ciaran's ring just laying around
>>
>>47099981
I assumed she was related to the assassins, but I figured it was more along the lines of her wishing she was a Darkmoon and pretending to be one. She desperately wants to be a knight, so that's why she swears to you.

Doesn't explain how she can cast Darkmoon blade though.
>>
>>47100000
I'm pretty sure nobody on this thread knows what the fuck you're trying to say.
What do the eyes have to do with anything?
What does CIARAN have to do with anything?
>>
>>47099906
>>47099941
Deserts can sometimes transform into swamps with time, though you never really find any notable Carthian items in Farron Keep or the Road of Sacrifices, so I'm not sure if that was the intent.
>>
File: 131.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
131.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>47100017

Nigga I'm trying to say we wouldn't find the goddamn eyes of the first goddamn firekeeper if it wasn't very, very early into the cycle.

Same with finding Ciaran's ring among a group of Black Knights, those aren't things you're just going to come across thousands of years after the fact.
>>
>>47100012
I suppose she might be an ex-darkmoon if nothing else
>>
>Friendly reminder that Gwynevere returned to Anor Londo and gave Gwyndolin a big hug
>Friendly reminder that Gwyndolin's heart melted when his face was pressed to his sister's gigantic titties
>Friendly reminder that Gwyndolin became a fucking MAN and chose to take a brave last stand against Aldrich and Sulyvahn, buying his sister time to escape
>Friendly reminder that Gwyndolin did not scream or beg as he was eaten, but instead mocked Aldrich for being too slow to catch his desired target
>>
>>47100066
>those aren't things you're just going to come across thousands of years after the fact.
You mean like the other three rings?
>>
>>47100066
>Same with finding Ciaran's ring among a group of Black Knights, those aren't things you're just going to come across thousands of years after the fact.
What?
You realize that every single ring of the Four Knights is scattered across the world, right?
You realize that every item of every past character is somewhere in the world?
You realize they were all in Drangleic too?

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ANON
>>
>>47100100
>>47100088

WHAT ABOUT THE EYES, GOD DAMMIT.

THE EYES.
>>
>>47100119
What about the eyes!?
You realize the fact that they're the eyes of the first firekeeper doesn't mean the person you find them on is the first firekeeper, right!?

You give them to your Firekeeper and she puts them in her eyes! If you kill her and take her eyes, does that then make her the first firekeeper!? No!
>>
>>47100119
What about them? All firekeepers are blind.
>>
>>47100075

Those must be the warmest, fluffiest breasts in creation, considering they're from a literal Goddess of Fertility who's supposedly a very swell woman.
>>
>>47100136
>>47100137

So do you think the Flame went out in the Untended Graves because the firekeeper had the eyes, or did she have the eyes because she was around during an Age of Dark?
>>
>>47100075
>>Friendly reminder that Gwynevere returned to Anor Londo and gave Gwyndolin a big hug
Still not sure about that.
Why would Gwynevere ditch her husbando and return to Anor Londo?
>>
>>47100177
You can give your Firekeeper the eyes and then link the fire anyway, anon.
>>
>>47100179
She's the Queen of Lothric, anon, Irithyll is like three hour's walk away.
>>
>>47100177
The fire went out because it served it's purpose long ago.

It's pretty weird that Karla is so casually a daughter of the Abyss.
>>
>>47100207

Rosaria is not Gwynevere you cheeky little shit, at most she's a child of Gwynevere.
>>
>>47100224
Bear in mind that Manus probably shattered into like one hundred shards, not just a few.
>>
>>47100227
>Rosaria
Nobody said she was, friend. Rosaria isn't the Queen of Lothric.
>>
>>47100234
I just think it's funny how casually it's mentioned in her ashes fluff. It's just entirely not of consequence for her character.

Would explain how she survived so long though.
>>
>>47100256

And the Queen of Lothric couldn't be Gwynevere considering she gave birth to Ocelotte, a dragon... Thing.

Maybe the Queen of Lothric was Priscilla?
>>
>>47100207
>She's the Queen of Lothric, anon, Irithyll is like three hour's walk away.
What are you basing this on.
Last thing I heard, the description on the Divine blessing was a slight mistranslation, turning "compared to a goddess" to "revered as a goddess".
In any case, I don't see Gwynevere hooking up with a non-god.
>>
>>47100304
Divine Blessing descriptions from DaS1 and 3.
We have no idea what Ocelotte looks like since she's either invisible or MIA, but her dad is a dragon like Seath. Anything he fucks is going to give birth to a dragon thing.
Also, Gwynevere also got fucked by Seath and gave birth to Priscilla. History repeats.
>>
>>47100322

Gwynevere can't get enough of the BDC, it seems.
>>
>>47100304
>Maybe the Queen of Lothric was Priscilla?

Given that the king studied Seath's lore, he probably created Ocelotte the same way that Priscilla was created, presumably through magic.
>>
>>47100313
I won't believe the mistranslation exists until I see proof, but even if the description WAS 'compared to a goddess', that would mean it reads as

'The Queen of Lothric was once compared to Gwynevere'. Which is the equivalent of saying people used to go up to her in the street and say 'hey you really remind me of that gwynevere lady, any connection?'
In other words it could still totally be Gwynevere.

The Divine Blessing stuff is as hamfisted and blunt as Dark Souls lore gets. There are no better candidates.
>>
The argument for Gwynevere being the Queen of Lothric is based on identical evidence to the argument for Nameless King being the firstborn.
Item descriptions which use the exact same wording to describe two different figures, urging the player to make a connection between the two.

If you don't believe in the argument for Gwynevere being the Queen, you should also not believe that the Nameless King is the Firstborn to be consistent. If you are convinced that the Nameless King is the Firstborn, you have no reason to be skeptical about Gwynevere being the Queen.
>>
>>47100322
>Also, Gwynevere also got fucked by Seath
There has never been anything pointing towards that.
Just people incapable of thinking beyond,"hurr, Seath totally banged Gwynevere".
>>
Where does Yorshka fit into all this? She calls Gwyndolin her brother
>>
File: yhorm.jpg (410 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yhorm.jpg
410 KB, 1920x1080
So what's going on with the giants? When the Dark Souls 3 trailer came out we all thought Yhorm was going to be a Dark Souls 2 giant, but it turns out he's just got a big shady coif on. Do you guys think this applies to all DS2 giants - they do have faces hidden in the shadow? Do you think Dark Souls 1 giants are the same thing as Dark Souls 2 giants and their face holes are hidden behind those metal masks they're forced to wear? Or, is Yhorm maybe not a brute giant at all, but just a member of the old godly race?

>>47098854
Like who? I don't deny there's characters who probably had it just as bad as him, but it's hard to think of ones who had it really worse, except maybe Ceaseless Discharge.
>>
>>47100384
Gwynevere's handmaidens are locked up in Seath's dungeon, turned into those blue slug things.
Priscilla has Seath's features. Priscilla is also probably the second biggest humanoid character in the game, right behind Gwynevere.
Gwynevere is an illusion, but her size is at least close to accurate - in-game portraits of her confirm this.
Priscilla is a crossbreed, meaning she had one dragon parent (Seath) and one non-dragon parent, she was not created by Seath alone.
There's other evidence as well but we're discussing theories that are two games old, so I'd have to remind myself to make the argument properly.
>>
>>47100412
It's plausible that the hole in the DS2 Giants faces is the Giant equivalent of the Darksign.
Humans get black pits for eyes.
Giants get black pits for faces. So that's what they look like when they hollow.
>>
>>47099906

In general, things are a lot more mythic and raw in dark souls 1. This is the tail end of the era of the very first gods, after all. Legends are still very real. Going off of that, I'd assume that humanity sprites existing in large enough chunks like that is quite fantastic, and they become rare to nonexistent as time goes on.

Human effigies are a bit of a mystery to me. I have a feeling they were made for the opening cutscene but no thought beyond that went into them. If I wanted to put more thought into it and justify it, I'd focus on the fact that they're made of plant material of some kind. Though I can't think of any plant associated with humanity in dark souls.

Embers are, I would guess, lumps of humanity that are slowly burning up. Humanity was sorta the fuel of the first flame and was linked to the fire by gwyn so that the flames could consume humanity, removing it and weakening the total power of the dark soul (kindling, and how clerics of the way of white are sent on missions to kindle bonfires, an act that destroys humanity). Since unkindled go into a heir of fire or kindled mode or whatever from it, it's likely that the burning humanity ignites them and connects them to the first flame, temporarily.

Also, I have an important question. With no fang boar helm, what is the best hat to wear with smough's armor? I need a replacement.
>>
>>47100479
>best hat to wear with smough's armor
Xanthous crown is the best hat for any occasion.
>>
File: [boogies disapprovingly].gif (933 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
[boogies disapprovingly].gif
933 KB, 500x500
>No ending where you usher in the Age of the Deep
or is that what Bloodborne is?
>>
>>47100448
>Priscilla is a crossbreed, meaning she had one dragon parent (Seath) and one non-dragon parent, she was not created by Seath alone.
>There's other evidence as well but we're discussing theories that are two games old, so I'd have to remind myself to make the argument properly.
So?
Do you really think a dragon who literally invented magic and is sitting on the biggest collection of knowledge in the world has no other way of creating a creature outside of fucking a humanoid?

And that is before getting into why the gods would allow him anywhere near Gwynevere.
>>
>>47100383

Why is She of the Voluminous Chest fucking a normie human King.
>>
>>47100460
I don't think so. I think dark souls 2 giants are just straight up a different breed of creature.
Their gaping faces represent their nature as vessels, the reason they were able to create the golem technology. You even see pyromancer giants barf a glob of fire out of that hole into their hand and then throw it.
There's also the fact that early on giants WERE going to have faces and the corpse of a faced one remains as an oversight. So I'm inclined to think they don't really care and just did it as part of their faceless fetish, like the mannequins.
>>
File: terror from the deep.jpg (213 KB, 600x386) Image search: [Google]
terror from the deep.jpg
213 KB, 600x386
>>47100534
DLC content, hopefully. Deep Souls soon.
>>
>>47100547
>normie human king
not by the time they got it on. Ocelotte was 'born of dragons', remember. So either Gwynevere rode Oceiros' dragon dildo dick, or he got cucked by some other dragon
>>
>>47100546
Gwyn and Seath were bros though. He'd totally be allowed near her.
>>
>>47100356

Don't forget that Lorian and Lothric make substantial use of powers that seem like something Gwynevere would harness, being full of bright golden light and warmth.

If they're children of Gwynevere, it totally shows.

I don't get why everyone is so up in arms about Queen of Lothric being Gwynevere anyway, the Queen canonically "escapes," she survives. Just because she spent a couple decades fucking a human doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>47100594
See >>47099840
>>
>>47100547
Oceiros is hardly a normie. He's Seath Jr. And if you look at his sons, they're fuckhuge like Gwynevere. He's pretty big too.

>>47100546
If Seath created Priscilla asexually, she would not be a crossbreed. She'd be what Seath is. She also wouldn't be locked away in a painted world because she'd be no more of an abomination than Seath himself is. A dragon-god hybrid, however, that is something entirely different, something unheard of and scary.
>And that is before getting into why the gods would allow him anywhere near Gwynevere.
Probably happened after Gwyn linked the flame. You might as well ask why the Gods would allow Seath to get anywhere near Gwynevere's handmaidens, since we know for a fact that he got to them.
>>
>>47100460
I don't think giants can become Undead though, that's a condition that exclusively applies to humans. Yhorm is technically a hollow, but that's because he offered up his soul to the First Flame rather than losing it by dying as an undead.

>>47100479
Those are all pretty good explanations!

The human effigy plant material could be made from archtree as that seems like a pretty general fantastical plant in the Dark Souls universe, or it could be related to whatever the fuck is making hollows turn into trees in Dark 3.

>>47100534
>>47100584
I'd fucking love to know more about the Deep. It seems to be an entirely new aspect of Dark, The Abyss and Humanity we've never seen before.

>>47100546
Not the guy you're responding to. Personally I'm not convinced Priscilla is Gwynevere's daughter either, but:

>Do you really think a dragon who literally invented magic and is sitting on the biggest collection of knowledge in the world has no other way of creating a creature outside of fucking a humanoid?
Well yeah but the game is pretty explicit about when stuff is his 'creation.' E.g. the moonlight butterfly. I think Priscilla was the result of some fuck.

>And that is before getting into why the gods would allow him anywhere near Gwynevere.
Gwyn seemed to trust him quite a lot.
>>
>>47083347
Didn't her chime only become "crystal" after the scholars experimented on it? The item description implied it was not crystal before they got their hands on it iirc.
>>
>>47100629
>I don't think giants can become Undead though, that's a condition that exclusively applies to humans.
Everything can become undead.
We have undead Dragons, for fuck's sake, they would be a lot more immune to undeath than Giants. The Last Giant is undead.
>>
>>47100623
>>47100594

Oceiros became a scalie well after Lorian and Lothric were born, otherwise they'd be halfbreeds too.
>>
>>47100234
I especially like this because it means a dark souls campaign can have no shortage of BBEGirls.
>>
>>47100618
But Yorshka considers Gwyndolin a brother, not a parent/guardian. Also, Ocelotte is repeatedly referred to as a He by Oceiros.

or is that the brother Yorshka is talking about
>>
>>47100652

The dragons weren't undead, they were horribly diseased and ill.
>>
>>47083590
The Butterflies were the angels mentioned in the heretic religion, right?
>>
>>47100680
No, Yorshka's 'brother' is definitely Gwyndolin. Might not be biological but that's who she is referring to.
>>
>>47100656
Ocelotte was the youngest, so it seems like he went dragon after he had the first two kids.
>>
>>47100686
Mate they have no flesh. Or eyes. Or lower halves. They are literally just Dragon skeletons. They're undead.
>>
>>47093910
Where's the Aldia Lothric link?

Also, why did Yhorm leave his throne? He seemed to have had some agreement or pact with Seigward that if ever he left, Seigward would kill him and put him back on the throne.
>>
What IS the Deep? Is it the Abyss?
>>
>>47099804
Dark souls 2 had some good aspects but on the whole was total garbo.
The lore also sucked most of the time.
>>
>>47100600
>Gwyn and Seath were bros though.
Citation? Because I don't recall them being anything more than allies brought together by circumstance.

>>47100623
>If Seath created Priscilla asexually, she would not be a crossbreed. She'd be what Seath is. She also wouldn't be locked away in a painted world because she'd be no more of an abomination than Seath himself is.

A mule is still a mule, even if he is the result of artifical insemination.

>You might as well ask why the Gods would allow Seath to get anywhere near Gwynevere's handmaidens, since we know for a fact that he got to them.
Gwyn didn't give a fuck about humans.
>>
>>47099804
It was, I enjoyed it.

On the whole, I genuinely prefer DS2 to DS3. So many risky moves, half didn't pay off, half were good. DS3 just comes off as a congratulatory pat on the back for DS1 while pushing DS2 under the rug.
>>
>>47100725

He left his throne because he spent a lifetime defending his kingdom and his people, and in the end the people hated him for it.

He gave up, he Linked the Fire, suffered terribly, was given zero honor or respect for his duty, and decided to fuck off. He's quite easily the most noble, and tragic, of the Lords of Cinder.
>>
>>47100759
>A mule is still a mule, even if he is the result of artifical insemination.
Except Seath would be the mule in this case, and Priscilla is most definitely not a mule, so...
I can only assume you're arguing that Seath artifically inseminated a human or god, in which case - yeah, he inseminated them with his dragon cum. That's where the dragon half of the crossbreed comes in. It doesn't matter if he literally pumped and dumped her or if he artificially knocked her up, it's the same genetic mix.
>>
>>47100740

It's Miyazaki riding his Bloodboner well into DS3.
>>
>>47085722
We can assume Dragon abyss corruption is different that human abyss corruption. The Abyss takes hold of humans on their backs because that's where the Darksign is, but dragons don't have Darksigns.
>>
>>47100810
The Lothric dragons do, however, suffer from the same Pus of Man affliction that hit Gundyr and various human hollows.
>>
>>47100803
I'd think Bloodborne was him riding his Abyss stiffy into an entire new game.

That said, there's not a whole lot of connection between the Deep and anything in Bloodborne. Other than being slimy and beyond mortal comprehension.
>>
>>47100759
Gwyn made seath a duke not a stone's throw away from anor londo, his home, and later gave Seath PART OF HIS SOUL
Gwyn had complete trust in Seath.
>>
>>47100740
It's described as an age of the Sea. Probably Cthulhu bullshit, if Aldrich is any indication.

The First Flame made both Light and Dark, but Water is the antithesis of Flame, so I wager it's something different entirely. The Deep Gem description says 'there is a darkness beyond ken', so i suspect it's not Dark in the Humanity sense.

The only reason the Deacons use pyromancy is because they used to use it to seal away the horrors of the Deep, but were eventually corrupted by it.
>>
>>47100652
>>47100721
Undead dragons do not have the Dark Sign. In all likelihood they're the original immortal dragons fucked over by the attack of the lords and still choking up clouds of Nito's miasma.

Humans are the only creatures that can have the Dark Sign and be true 'undead,' not reanimated creatures like skeletons. I have some headcanon about the undead rats and dogs in Dark 1 but that's not too relevent to the argument.

>>47100782
The Abyss Watchers were in all likelihood pretty noble too. It's a shame we know so little about them compared to Yhorm and Aldrich. I'd like to know what adventures lead to an entire covenant sacrificing their souls and becoming a multiperson Lord of Cinder.

>>47100740
It's almost definitely linked to the Abyss in some way. Deep weapons do dark damage, and Aldrich counts as an abyssal creature.

>>47100846
Where's the bit about the Deep having to do with the sea? I'm unable to find it.

Also, are we sure deacons are using pyromancy, and not just some sort of sorcery that makes fire?
>>
>>47100773
I can't get past the goopy slippery sloshy movement system with the weird slow backstabs and parries, and the absolutely atrocious level design.
>>
>>47089307
Just monsters that blend into the environment. Notice that not all of the bodies in the water are sewer centipedes, and the centipedes are specifically mimicking the drowned corpses of females. That means all the bodies you see in the water that aren't monsters, are actual drowned women.
>>
>>47096428
The boreal valley is likely like that because its been under only moonlight for thousands of years
>>
>>47100680
>Also, Ocelotte is repeatedly referred to as a He by Oceiros.
I assumed that Gwyndoly dolled him up, same as his father did to him.
Yorshka is flast as a board and her voice kinda sounds like a girly dude, though that could just be me.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.