[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discworld
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: DiscworldMap.jpg (63 KB, 1011x1023) Image search: [Google]
DiscworldMap.jpg
63 KB, 1011x1023
Does this make a good campaign setting? Can it even be done?
>>
>>47063718

a campaign through the jungles of bang-bang-duc would be pretty good.

Or an Omnian monster hunting campaign through Ubervald, possibly could easily rijigger Dogs in the Vineyard to do that.
>>
>>47063718
As serious campaign? Nope. For fun? Fucking yes.
>>
I'd reckon the difficult bit is to give it that Discworld feel to it, Pterry's brand of whimsy isn't exactly easy to emulate.

I think one of the suptg threads had someone who managed to nail it, misplaced the link though.

If only that really was Pterry pretending to be that OP
>>
>>47063718
The real difficulty, besides being that clever all the time, would be narrowing down the lore. If you've read any 2 books you know that even universal foundational laws change on the author's whim. You'd have to not just say "this is Discworld" but "this is Discworld: Reaper Man" or whatnot.
>>
>>47064328
It got more consistent as it went on
>>
Discworld games just tend to lead to the conclusion that you'll never be as witty and funny as Pratchett was.
>>
>>47063718
For me it's mostly enjoyable through writing. As a campaign setting I actually dislike it.
>>
File: gurps-discworld-1.jpg (340 KB, 924x1200) Image search: [Google]
gurps-discworld-1.jpg
340 KB, 924x1200
>>47063718
>Does this make a good campaign setting?
Yes, as long as your players have a discworld mindset. Take nothing seriously. Snark to 110%. Reward cleverness.

>Can it even be done?
Its been done. Twice. Pic related.
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (135 KB, 468x625) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
135 KB, 468x625
>>47065231
They also make diskworld gaming minis.

http://discworld.com/products/miniatures/
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>47063718
There are big areas you can do whatever with, Urban games, dungeon delving, even Wildness Exploration in the Great Outdoors (Widdershins of Genua)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.