[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A lawful evil fighter who genuinely believes he's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 19
File: Fighter.jpg (53 KB, 500x607) Image search: [Google]
Fighter.jpg
53 KB, 500x607
>A lawful evil fighter who genuinely believes he's a lawful good paladin

Could it be done? Would you play it? How?
>>
>>47058381
It's all for the greater good.
>>
>>47058381
So basically a burger soldier?
>>
Kill them all. Let god find his own
>>
The ends justify the means?
>>
Easier in a setting without explicit classes, and perhaps without overt divine magic.
He's a religious fanatic who obeys a brutal code of honour and believes that adhering to it grants him power.

He could me a member of a church militant or cult without actually having divine powers, or simply be driven by a personal conviction.

Simple as that.
>>
>>47058381
Its certainly easier in a setting like Eberron where the detect alignment powers and alignment class restrictions are downplayed.
>>
>>47058381

He smites and cleaves the right enemies, but he does it because he's a sadist.
>>
>>47058381
>Low Wis
>No talent for divine magic
>Huge muscles
>Follows a code of conduct to the letter
>Takes dubious orders from superiors in the name of God/Gods
>>
File: Alignments2.jpg (109 KB, 890x756) Image search: [Google]
Alignments2.jpg
109 KB, 890x756
>>47058381
Alignments are fucking retarded, remove them entirely. That's how you do it.
>>
>>47058675
But that wasn't the point of the thread, now was it?
>>
>>47058708
He is right doe.

Playing Rune Quest or Call of Cthulhu which notably lack alignment systems or classes, I saw my players being far more creative with character backgrounds.
>>
>>47058901
So substitute 'lawful evil' with 'big ol meanie' and 'lawful good' with 'goody two shoes' and get on with the thread
>>
>>47058381
Post more images of such a character as I want to make one in my head that I'll never get to play
>>
>>47058926
And that gives you much more breadth, you don't "have" to justify what a person is compared to thinks they are when they're not living in a universe where everybody has a position on a nine by nine grid.

Y'know, like real life.
>>
File: Samurai.jpg (208 KB, 740x1000) Image search: [Google]
Samurai.jpg
208 KB, 740x1000
>>47058960
fredstudart.blogspot.com/

here's what came up when I googled the artist
>>
>>47058963

>Nine by nine grid
>Traditional alignment chart is three by three

Hold on, I think we might be onto something fun
>>
>>47058901
If your players only put in effort when the system forces them to, they're shit players. Sorry to break it to you.
>>47058926
Yes, but then the answer is pretty straightforward and uncontroversial, and this is our thrice daily alignment system shitpost
>>
>>47059034
It would certainly make things a lot more interesting. Maybe do it like a graph, instead of a grid
>>
>>47058926
This sort of gave me an idea for the character. Play him as a popular man of the people where society cheers on his heinous acts.

He might be a knight for a local despot, utterly ruthless in his enforcement of the ruler's will. He'll do public executions against the enemies of the state, and the people will cheer him on. He'll give speeches dehumanizing the state's neighbors, painting them as inferior, backwards, and full of evil, completely oblivious to the fact he's much worse. He'll use the law as a tool for ruthless progress and development rather than a shield of justice for the wronged.

After years and years of support from the majority of the people, he'll believe he can do no wrong, and that he is ultimately a force of good.
>>
>>47058381
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions," seems fitting here.
>>
>>47059047

What, so something like a line chart, with order on one axis and morality on the other?

Then you just throw dots all over the place representing certain stereotypes?
>>
>>47059034
Oh God, what have I done?
>>
>>47059038
I think it's the other way around.

When you make it clear to a player that they're creating a person not a cluster of stereotypes loosely held together by a backstory they're more likely to be invested enough to put in the effort.
>>
>>47059034
>>47059047
>ohgodnotagain.jpg
>therideneverends.jpg
>>47059188
But isn't that much more a problem with D&D's class system, which is more based around fantasy fiction archetypes instead of function within the party, than the alignment system, which is nothing more than a very broad-strokes descriptor of your character's values?
>>
>>47059256
The problem is that D&D's alignment chart is indicative of actual metaphysical essential qualities of a character on a quasi-mystical level.

Which imposes expectations on everyone and everything, and plasters over the intricacies of realistic character dynamics, moving the default "mode" for the game one notch closer to knights in shining armour and cackling baby-eating villains type morality.
>>
>>47058381
I think most Lawful Evil people believe they are Lawful Good or at LEAST believe they're lawful neut
>>
File: TheRedeemerComic.jpg (92 KB, 517x799) Image search: [Google]
TheRedeemerComic.jpg
92 KB, 517x799
>>47058381
As long as he's fighting something more evil than him, its easy.
>>
>>47059372
>Which imposes expectations on everyone and everything, and plasters over the intricacies of realistic character dynamics, moving the default "mode" for the game one notch closer to knights in shining armour and cackling baby-eating villains type morality.

But that's exactly the kind of fantasy D&D (especially the first 3 editions) is intended to be used for. If that's not what you want to play, why are you using D&D? That's like saying Shadowrun sucks because it imposes medieval fantasy crap on a cyberpunk game.
>>
>>47058381
Yeah I've done that. He was also a former gravedigger/grave robber.
>>
>>47058381
That's how most of /tg/ does actually play paladins, I think. And how Gygax explains his own alignment system.
>>
>>47060055
If the guy who creates the system says executing orcs after making them convert before their savage nature inevitably reasserts itself is good then its good.
>>
>>47060739
Except most D&D games these days are PF or 4th, neither of which are systems Gygax himself created.
>>
>>47059624
But it makes storytelling boring and formulaic, makes such common principals as betrayal and equally justified viewpoints coming into conflict impossible.

It's a ball and chain on storytelling that adds nothing which cannot done without it.
>>
>>47058926
>substitute 'lawful evil' with 'big ol meanie' and 'lawful good' with 'goody two shoes' and get on with the thread

Fucking this. Once you break out of alignment, you'll notice your roleplay gradually maturing and improving.
>>
>>47058675
>TN
>has a plan

I shouldn't be as spooked as I am.
>>
>>47060771
Well we are talking about 'his own alignment system'.

Also Pathfinder alignment is a complete joke even by DnD alignment standards. The devs outright stated that a fertility/marriage deity would become evil if they did not uphold modern western attitudes to gay marriage.
>>
>>47058381

I generally interpret Alignment is independent of a character's beliefs.

Alignment should be an objective evaluation of a character's aggregate actions regardless of why he took those actions.

So yes, it can be done.

Though I'd avoid the "I know I'm doing bad but it's for good!" speeches. People here like to gush about that assassin from Serenity as a great example of Lawful Evil, but I found him the most annoying and poorly-written character in that whole movie.
>>
>>47060873
Placebo
>>
Would the punisher fit that description, or would he be more lawful neutral?
>>
File: df4.jpg (107 KB, 680x857) Image search: [Google]
df4.jpg
107 KB, 680x857
>>47062232

The Punisher can only barely qualify as Lawful. His entire ethical code is just "remove bad guy."

He doesn't even really do it to fix society. He just likes killing criminals.
>>
>>47059069
Hell yeah, this is awesome
>>
>>47062278
As per the definition of "Good" and "Evil" in the alignment system, his motives for killing criminals are not selfish. He doesn't do it to benefit himself, and in fact does it at great cost and to himself.

That means his actions are Good. They are not, in fact, Lawful.

Punisher is Chaotic Good.
>>
>>47061006
That's cucking pretty damn hard.
>>
>>47062232
Chaotic Good it is
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 736x1541) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 736x1541
"Beasts all over the shop....you'll be one of them....sooner or later."
>>
File: 656.png (251 KB, 500x238) Image search: [Google]
656.png
251 KB, 500x238
>>47062361

Whether or not the Punisher is "Good" depends entirely on the writer.

The Daredevil version:
>I do what I do because I like it!
>Hell, I love it!

That's not a totally Good (as in capital G) reason to massacre people.
>>
>>47062460
What a person SAYS about their motives doesn't actually change their actual motives, nor their methods.

He could say he does it because he enjoys it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not why he does what he does. He risks his life to take out criminals that cause harm to other people. It's extreme, sure, but it's still self-sacrificing, and that's the definition of Good in the D&D alignment system.

No one who's Evil, and thus self-serving at the expense of others, would risk so much personal harm just to take out people who specifically cause harm to others, while protecting innocents.
>>
>>47062365
Even more so in that, if they instead made morality defined by the gods instead of it being its own thing, it would make sense as being an actual, measurable force in-universe, and you'd have some much-needed social friction that can be used to flesh out the world and create conflict for the players to deal with through roleplaying.

Dolts who write that pig slop really need to pay for their lack of vision.
>>
>>47062517

>protecting innocents

Punisher doesn't care about protecting people, only punishing them. In some versions he's a little more conscientious about collateral damage, but he doesn't really rescue people. He does what he does because he has a personal vendetta against criminals. His actions are like chemotherapy. Yeah he kills the cancer, but he's also invasive and destructive in the process.

Rorshach is more altruistic than the Punisher.
>>
>>47058381
The way I play, that's more LN. The guy would not be doing the shitty stuff he's doing if there was another way. However any other way goes contrary to his code and, regrettably he has to push forward.

For most LE I figure questions of right or wrong don't matter much to the character. They have a code or ideal but it has nothing to do with the well being of others. Order exists for the sake of order, doing good has nothing to do with it. This can be taken as LN but usually they figure Law=Good.
In the case of OP's example I would put the fighter as a generally evil person in denial. He will kill the orc baby because it's the fastest means to an end not because it's the only option. However later he will lie to himself, saying he had no other choice. He WANTS to be a good guy, or at least treated like a good guy, but it's so much faster and easier being evil. He walks straight towards moral grey territory because that's where he can justify killing and stealing. It's so much easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
>>
>>47058381
Just talk like an American. People will buy it.
>>
>>47062517

The Punisher's internal monologue completely supports his statement of "I kill them because I hate them." Again, this all depends on the writer, but that aspect has been fairly consistent ever since Welcome Back, Frank.
>>
>>47059408
This. Villains in real life don't carry cards - they legitimately believe themselves to be doing the right thing, the holy thing - and think everyone else is too spineless or too corrupt to join them.

I mean, look at /pol/ and Tumblr. They're basically the same, and they're both idiots, but try telling them that.
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 600x808) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 600x808
>>47058381
Scarlet Crusaders in Warcraft

especially Renault Mograine
>>
File: 1417485875985.png (1 MB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
1417485875985.png
1 MB, 1162x850
>>47058381
There you go, OP
>>
>>47058381
You mean Kore from Goblins?
>>
>>47062365
>>47062586
Consider this, however.

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Mengkare

A Gold Dragon who rules an island nation and essentially runs a eugenics program. They've deliberately left his alignment undefined, because - BY THEIR OWN ADMISSION - if they confirm him to be objectively Lawful Good, others can take that as them saying that eugenics is objectively Lawful Good. This could lead to Godwin's Law faster than you can say 'Alignments suck.'
>>
>>47064070

It depends on the dragon's perception of his own behavior. If he intends genuine benevolence, then he is good. Just as "good" does not mean "nice", it also doesn't necessarily mean "correct".

But of course, people would take it the wrong way if they saw "dragon hitler" listed as "good"
>>
>>47063976
ARISE MY CHAMPION
>>
>>47058381
Literally New Phyrexia, or any kind of zealot, really. The 'I'm doing you a favor by killing you' kind of zealot.
But yeah Phyrexia is the best example
>>
>>47058381
There are tons of examples of this in real life, as well as in games.

Real life: Islamic Terrorists believe they are doing gods work.

Games: Space Marines often follow a sadistic set of guidelines.
>>
>>47064112
But that gets right back to the core of the matter of OP. If the fighter in OP's example believed himself to be good, and his actions did have a positive to them, then he would be considered good. Evil I suppose in that case would be knowing you're doing wrong and doing it anyway for some reason.
>>
>>47063899

This. The Punisher works better when you treat him like a force of nature rather than a hero. Bleeding hearts should stop pushing the well-intentioned extremist angle onto the character.
>>
>>47065672

Is that how he comes off in Daredevil? People never reading the comics might account for that read of the character.
>>
File: I did it becasue I like it.jpg (53 KB, 638x472) Image search: [Google]
I did it becasue I like it.jpg
53 KB, 638x472
>>47066350

>Is that how he comes off in Daredevil?

No.

Once he gets arrested, Karen Paige pushes that angle on him and tries to convince everyone he's just a broken guy who needs help. He then stomps on this when he tells everyone at court he kills criminals because he likes it and that he's completely in his right mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28oQ3IPYzyg
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (336 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
336 KB, 1920x1080
>>47058381
Pic related?
>>
>>47066679
didn't he only pull that so that he could talk to king pin?
>>
File: A frank that franks franks.jpg (369 KB, 664x1000) Image search: [Google]
A frank that franks franks.jpg
369 KB, 664x1000
>>47066679
He's got a rather frank personality.
>>
>>47058381
He would get by with sheer physical ability and martial skill and attribute it as a blessing from his chosen deity. He does whatever he believes to be the morally sound decision and keeps going all the while claiming that this is what his deity wants him to do because if it weren't then why does he continue to receive these blessing?
>>
>>47062460

I'm sure he wasn't just saying those things because he wanted to, I don't know, throw the court case, so he could get into prison, so he could get information as to who killed his family.

Don't forget the rooftop scene where he's laying out why he kills people in a much less public setting, and without Kingpin's goon's offering tempting him.
>>
File: Hell I love it.jpg (20 KB, 327x388) Image search: [Google]
Hell I love it.jpg
20 KB, 327x388
>>47067711

He didn't know who he was gonna talk to. Just that he'd be taken care of if he went to jail.

I have a feeling he was being genuine here, because he knew he could say whatever he wanted. Frank's a lot of things but he's not really a liar.
>>
>>47058422
No. That's person that couldn't find a career elsewhere so joined the one place that would take them in. That describes most people in the military in my experience.
>>
>>47068073

Except militaries have minimum standards, low as they are, and many countries have mandatory military service.
>>
>>47068073
While there certainly are some dudes who end up in the military because they've got nowhere else to go, anymore it's not a great place for those guys.

Even the military needs them smart now, and as it gets smaller it can get far more selective in it's choices.
>>
>>47067680
>would've been the Hero in basically any other story

Seems legit.
>>
File: 1ilhuBUKi1Y.jpg (79 KB, 400x720) Image search: [Google]
1ilhuBUKi1Y.jpg
79 KB, 400x720
You know....
>Great Crusade
>alien genocide
>mutants are untermench
>pure humans - submit or get rekt
>his relations with primarchs showing that he's no saint warrior
>all for the good of humanity

>still the best Imperium gonna get
>>
File: 1417843696021.png (3 MB, 810x2156) Image search: [Google]
1417843696021.png
3 MB, 810x2156
>>47062607
>>47062517
>>47063899
>>47065672
>>47066350
>>
>>47058381
Batman?
>A violent hypocrite that claims superiority with his moral code
>>
File: Imperius.jpg (66 KB, 254x494) Image search: [Google]
Imperius.jpg
66 KB, 254x494
>>
>>47074046

This is about as altruistic Frank gets.
>>
File: b&resy.jpg (18 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
b&resy.jpg
18 KB, 360x361
>>47073592
>>
>>47058381
He's a bloodthirsty psychopath who was fortunate enough to be found by somebody who could direct him. He's always been violent at heart and felt like a freak because of it, never being able to form connections with others. Whoever this person that found him was (maybe another party member), and whatever they tought him gave structure and purpose to his life that he would have therwise never been able to find on his own. Play the guy as being somebody who desperately needs direction from an authority figure, somebody he recognizes as wise and good whether it's true or not (they could just be charismatic and manipulative). Some art of him should recognize that he is somehow wrong, but is overcome by his belief in the righteousness of his cause or his mentor.
>>
>>
File: black templar champion.jpg (519 KB, 688x1044) Image search: [Google]
black templar champion.jpg
519 KB, 688x1044
It already has been done and is pretty easy. All you have to do is warp the character's perception of "good" enough to make the awful things he does either necessary evils or even desirable goods.

Pic related should help. Black Templars are a bunch of crazy racist religious fanatics.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.