[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Misc. Board Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: mahjong.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mahjong.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
Miscellaneous Board/Table game thread

Shoutouts to all my boys on that Mahjong grind.
>>
File: darby.jpg (650 KB, 730x800) Image search: [Google]
darby.jpg
650 KB, 730x800
Finally a man with good tastes!

However, I'm afraid we wont find more than, say, two other riichi players. At least it would be enough to set a table.
>>
>>47055430
I'm not too familiar with the Japanese scoring system, but I'd be totally down to play online if we had a couple other people.
>>
>>47055021
Change the title to something more recognizable so I can bookmark it and come often.

Recently read a book about weird tabletop games like Settles Of catan. What can you tell me about it?

How bad is learning Go alone? Any resources?

Cheers.
>>
File: gin rummy.jpg (93 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
gin rummy.jpg
93 KB, 612x612
I'm dying to import a set of rummy mahjong... and then play solitaire.
>>
>>47056284
>playing cards but on mahjong tiles

This seems more like blasphemy to me than anything else
>>
>>47055430
http://tenhou.net/
>>
>>47056269
What would you want the title to be?

Settlers of Catan is a classic. You can play it online if you don't have anyone to play with. Honestly I'd recommend just looking in to it.

Learning Go alone can be ok, there are a lot of good online resources and sites to play on. Google Sensei's Library. Check out gomoku/renju and board size variants like 9x9 and 13x13 for a few other go-like games that will help sharpen your go thinking.
>>
File: daishogi.jpg (68 KB, 566x392) Image search: [Google]
daishogi.jpg
68 KB, 566x392
who shougi here?
>>
>>47056269
>How bad is learning Go alone? Any resources?

Not too bad; I've been doing it casually for the last six months. I can link you to a few resources if you want.

>>47055021
I've just started playing Mahjong; I played my first game about a fortnight ago. It seems pretty fun to me.
>>
>>47057068
Mahjong is VERY fun, and has tons of rulesets and variants that make it more challenging/varied. I just recently got a local mahjong group together (we're meeting tomorrow night actually). It's a nice fix for me since I can't seem to get anyone to play bridge or pinochle anymore.

I will say, though, when I tried playing it in Hong Kong with a friend's family I got hustled hard. Mahjong is serious business over there.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBR1xFje0Ds
>>
>>47057167
pretty fuckin' cool. Makes me wish I had a lathe still...
>>
>>47055430
I've been playing riichi with some of my friends aND it's good fun. Haven't tried any other type of mahjong.
>>
>>47057381
Try Hong Kong rules if you like aiming for particular hands/yaku. Try Chinese Classic rules if you want a more simplified game. Taiwanese style has 16-tile hands instead of 13. American Mahjong is batshit crazy.
>>
>>47055430
I've been playing riichi on and off now for years at this point, I'd be up for playing some games with /tg/. I haven't been playing much lately because I hate the feeling of almost always being a loss away from losing a dan rank even if I don't really care about the thing.
>>
>>47057631
I'd be up for playing games with /tg/, too. Does anyone know a good website that isn't sketchy as fuck, or maybe a good multiplatform client?
>>
>>47057631
I didn't even know Mahjong had dan ranks, though it seems obvious now that you mention it.
>>
>>47057709
For riichi the go-to is always Tenhou which an anon linked here >>47056614

If I remember right the standard 4chan lobby is http://tenhou.net/0/?L7447 and both /a/ and /jp/ use it.

No idea if there's a multiplatform client for it, the only things I've ever actually played mahjong on are Tenhou and Janryumon.
>>
>>47057709
>>47057631
Get kajongg. It was written for linux, but has a windows version available here: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=103206 (at the bottom of the description).

It's honestly the best client I've found, and it's open source. Chinese classic rules, though.

>>47057722
Richii does, at least.

>>47057734
I'll check out tenhou, but I do awfully like kajongg.
>>
>>47056269
http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

this will show you the ropes, after that all you have to do is play as much as you can and occasionally watch other people play (e.g. on KGS) as well as reading stuff up on senseis library or any books you can get your hands on
>>
>>47057823
wow, great site, thank you. I'm learning a lot about go. I've tried to read sensei's library articles before, but they are often too advanced for me.
>>
>>47055021
>>47055430

>tfw asian boyfriend
>he refuses to play mahjong with me because there are too many rules

I respect his decision, but I want to plaaaaaaay
>>
>>47056569
I taught my wife to play Riichi Mahjong, and we brought in another couple and we have Mahjong nights every couple weeks.

As ridiculous as this looks, what worked for me is actually playing the game traditional cards. Here's how I did it:

>Four decks, four copies of each card
>Removed Diamonds 2-10
>Removed all face cards except J-Spade, Q-Club and K-Heart
>Added Wind directions to the Aces (Heart-East, Club-South, Diamond-West, Spade-North) with marker
>Poker chips for scoring

Suits go from 2-10 instead of 1-9, and the JQKs act as Dragons/Colors.

I managed to teach my wife to play in two hands, and our friends, who play Canasta regularly, got it just as fast.

I'd love to get an actual set of tiles, but cards work just as well, and are somewhat easier for westerners to grasp.
>>
>>47055021
whats the most fun mahjong version?

its sure as hell aint richi with its fast play, low hands and hope you hit doras.
>>
>>47058361
That's pretty subjective, since it depends on what aspects you like and what you dislike. I like classical Chinese and Hong Kong. If you like things to be straightforward and methodical, play Classical Chinese. If you like a game that provides opportunities to take big risks, play Hong Kong.
>>
>>47058173
yes, senseis library is something I'd recommend once you've reached 15kyu maybe

there is a beginner study sections, though
http://senseis.xmp.net/?BeginnerStudySection
you'll probably find much useful information there

if you want to play a few rounds on KGS hit me up, I haven't played for quite some time but I should still be able to explain you a thing or two
>>
>>47058829
Sure, I'd be happy to play a game or two. My username is parzifal
>>
>>47058173
http://senseis.xmp.net/?BeginnerExercises
https://www.youtube.com/user/nicksibicky/playlists

And lately I've been watching
https://www.youtube.com/user/cinemabaroque/videos
>>
File: XIANGQI.jpg (20 KB, 263x209) Image search: [Google]
XIANGQI.jpg
20 KB, 263x209
>>47057061

Nope, we xiangqi here.
>>
>>47059504
but why?
>>
File: Cannon.png (14 KB, 274x67) Image search: [Google]
Cannon.png
14 KB, 274x67
>>47059558

Cannons.
>>
I miss playing some Sichuan Mahjong. I am so angry I can not find a digital version of Mahjong in English that is not "western" Mahjong. I don't want to play a puzzle game for fucks sake.
>>
>>47059973
what are the rules particular to sichuan mahjong?
>>
>>47059994
I only played Mahjong in Sichuan so I don't know how Riichi or Mahjong are played normally. Since I haven't played in two years I kinda forgot the rules. Finding any 'proper' Mahjong rules in English has been hard for me.
>>
>>47058265
How annoying is the hand size? I've contemplated doing this for cost/accessibility but it always seemed to me that having 13 card hands at nearly all times would be annoying. BS is barely playable as anything more than a joke game and that's the only thing I can think of where massive hands are a regularity.
>>
>>47059012
I'm online but I don't know how to start a chat on KGS, what rooms are you in?
>>
>>47060079
Oh, I signed out since it was taking a while. I'll get back on in just a sec. What's your username?
>>
File: 1287895235399.jpg (23 KB, 492x341) Image search: [Google]
1287895235399.jpg
23 KB, 492x341
>mfw playing with a electronic Mahjong table.
>'shuffling' by hand
>>
>>47060088
influenza
>>
File: shocked_tourist.png (21 KB, 275x440) Image search: [Google]
shocked_tourist.png
21 KB, 275x440
>tfw 1st turn ron
>>
>>47060059
Hand size has never been a problem for my group.
>>
>>47057061
Shogi looks fun but I've never had the chance to play it.
>>
File: Knights and Tarots.jpg (299 KB, 655x1600) Image search: [Google]
Knights and Tarots.jpg
299 KB, 655x1600
Who Tarocco here?
>>
>>47061197
what exactly is it?
>>
>>47060089
Fuck I want an auto tsble
>>
Anyone played any shogi variant?
>>
>>47062781
I've played chushogi a few times, but I was pretty confused, since I'm not even that good at regular shogi.
>>
>>47061197
why is the knight T?
>>
Does anyone want to play a beginner at Go on KGS?
>>
>>47064803

Probably because "K" is taken by kings? Same reason knaves are "J", when you think about it.
>>
>>47066185
Then wouldn't ' N ' be a better choice? I think that's what is used in chess notation.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.