[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a D&D setting, who would actually be opposed to having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: SPACESHIP.jpg (620 KB, 3591x1620) Image search: [Google]
SPACESHIP.jpg
620 KB, 3591x1620
In a D&D setting, who would actually be opposed to having a colonists from a sci-fi genre start setting up shop right next door?
>>
>>47049680
You mean in-universe or your players?
Because for the former, it depends on the setting (which you already knew), and for the latter it depends on the players and the group (which you also already knew).
>>
>>47049704
I meant in-universe.
>>
>>47049704
Wow, a pointless thread on /tg/? Who knew?
>>
>>47049680

Only autismos.

Expedition to Barrier Peaks is the greatest goddamned D&D module ever, and it's the kind of thing we need more of in D&D.

You could even blur the lines a bit and say that FTL, gravity suspensors, artificial gravity, and force-fields are all powered by magic.

Also, elves are actually the descendants of a race of extraplanetary fey known to legend as the Ayylmao.
>>
>>47049717
Well what's the universe? What's it like? What do they believe in? What are the deities like? What type of colonists are they and what do THEY believe in? How advanced is the technology compared to the setting's understanding? How different from the setting's understanding of physics is it? Do the colonists know about magic or do they not? If they do, how common is it?

There's a lot of things that depend on the people involved in this scenario and you basically gave us zero context at all.
>>
>>47049680
>mix shit
It's still shit.
>>
>>47049765
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

I was going to do this with the Faerun setting since it's the only D&D setting I'm familiar with.

The gods are the same from the setting, with the colonists own beliefs from Earth.

FTL is a very recent tech with being able to go to 20 light-years within the span of a year. Space elevators, cryo-pods, maglev trains, laser guns and power armor.

The colonists are essentially employees from various megacorps from Earth that'll settle down on the planet and open up shop with the natives in exchange for land in where they'll bring in more people from Earth.

Magic isn't known when they get there, although the mega-corps have been scanning the planet for a few years trying to decipher languages, terrain and essentially spy on the planet.
>>
>>47049680
I guess that would depend upon the disposition of the colonists. If they were actively using medical technology and the like to help nearby communities I imagine they would be all for them staying.

>>47049747
>Expedition to Barrier Peaks
Neat.jpg
>>
>>47049892
>Faerun

The people would scratch their heads a bit, call some scholars and wizards, and immediately accept the humans because Faerun already has experience with space travel through Spelljammers. This is technological space travel instead of magical, but the distinction would be lost on most of the people because they don't really care.

The trouble might come from con artists selling land they don't own. Low-tier artists would sell human lands and cause a squabble, but high-tier artists would sell orc lands and start a war.
>>
>>47049892
Faerun is actually a weirder case then you'd think, surprisingly.
See, there actually IS space travel in Faerun using advanced magic-powered craft called Spelljammer ships. Relatively few cultures on Faerun have them and can make them (there used to be more, but even then it was rare as fuck), but the fact that it happened ages ago or still happens rarely is enough for the very well-learned to know magic exists.
Illithids for instance are actually aliens from another world or even dimension that parked on Faerun for a slow takeover process, at least in their eyes.
The deities part is tricky, because Faerunian deities are demonstratably real and worshipping them demonstratably gives you magical powers, which is completely at odds with Earth where our gods do no such thing and worshipping them here is basically a cosmetic life choice that can escape into arguments and wars between us at best. Conflict there is likely to happen, but only later on when more folks start settling down from Earth.
Now magic is ALSO tricky because most Faerunians would assume the colonists are just using extremely powerful magic (no matter what they say otherwise), and the colonists would likely not believe in magic even if they saw it done, assuming it's some sort of device or technology they aren't seeing. It would take an exceedingly clever and open-minded person to begin studying Faerunian Wizardry to begin reconciling the two things, which might have huge consequences for humanity back on Earth.

Trade is tough; ASIDE from magic there is next to nothing that the Faerunians have or could made that the colonists would want because Faerun is around the late 15th century in terms of technology, and even most of the magical weapons and armor would be fairly useless unless they can completely defeat lasers. Even then ranged combat superiority would pretty much dominate on the side of the colonists.
>>
>>47049892

That sounds remarkably similar to the Darksword Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
>>
>>47050060
The different organizations in Faerun would DEFINITELY want the technology, but the colonists would mostly be safe because for the most part it would be useless to the Faerunians as they don't even understand the basic principles upon how they work yet.
If the laser weapons and tech has infinite power then that might be a problem (trade in illegal "Earth-Magic" might become a thing over time), but the Faerunians wouldn't be able to replicate it no matter how hard they tried.
They couldn't even use magic to replicate it because Vancian "a spell does exactly one thing and only one thing" principles to not lend themselves to innovation.
>>
>>47050090
Wait, what is it about? I've never heard of it.
>>
>>47050137

It's set in a magical kingdom where magic is considered equivalent to life; any babies born who show no magical talent are killed at birth. This is in part due to a prophecy about one "who is dead yet will live, who will die again and live again", and bring about the destruction of the world. The main character was born without magic, but abducted before he could be executed; he uses slight-of-hand to fake having magic. He may be the subject of the prophecy, but doesn't know it because he's never heard it.

The sci-fi colonists don't actually show up until the third book of the trilogy.
>>
>>47050119
I think their biggest problem would be is "There's twelve million of us and only twelve thousand of you."
>>
>>47050222
Yup, assuming that all of Faerun attacks them. Which isn't actually a given; a lot more would be more interested in trade.
They could also just pick up their ship and move it out of the relatively limited reach of almost every group of a local one became a problem.
There's plenty of places in the North that need civilizing and have no friendly inhabitants. Of course then you'd have the monster our humanoids problem.
>>
>>47049680

Beholders. Then again, they're opposed to ANYTHING living within 1000 miles of them.
>>
>>47050323
Isn't there an old mock up image of a Beholder autopsy for XCOM?
>>
File: spacetyrants.jpg (101 KB, 432x334) Image search: [Google]
spacetyrants.jpg
101 KB, 432x334
>>47050544

I think there was. But I'm having trouble tracking it down. Might've been homage to the SpellJammer campaign setting where there were beholders IINNN SPAAAACE
>>
>>47049850

Nuh-uh, it's fertilizer!
>>
>>47049680
Everyone they aren't trading with, which is probably going to involve everyone.

They people who they are trading with will be busy taking over the world with laser cannons.
>>
>Colonists are worried about taking too much land from locals
>build agriculture spires along with their cities
>Suddenly Elves
>>
IIRC the gods of Faerun limit the level of technology mortals can create. Firearms exist but are prone to blowing up in ones hands because the gods say so. There's this concept pushed in the novels that some jackass with a gun shouldn't be able to best a warrior or mage who has spent years refining their skills because it's not fair. Drizzt laments when a naval pirate ship blows itself up accidentally for having the audacity to use cannons and store the black powder needed to fire them. Gond's priests can make some wacky steampunk shit but only with the random chance of breakage or backfire.

Should an outside force with actual advanced technology land on Toril, they may find their own tech blowing up in their faces.
>>
Read this OP, it's a HaloxForgotten Realms crossover, but it actually touches on a lot of the questions you're asking. It's also a guilty pleasure of mine.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4108390/1/Halo_Finishing_the_Fight
>>
>>47054172
Alright, thanks
>>
>>47049680
derp shart, pls
>>
File: ds01_main.png (153 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ds01_main.png
153 KB, 300x300
Dragonstar.

do more research fucknards
>>
File: its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg (48 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg
48 KB, 500x375
>>47049731
i get that you tried to do 2 threads airing out your butthurt on the phrase "it depends on the setting"

but i think it's time you pack it in and stop posting on 4chan for a while
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.