[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you a "traditional gamer" or a "story gamer"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: Loren of Petals.png (6 MB, 2248x2828) Image search: [Google]
Loren of Petals.png
6 MB, 2248x2828
Are you a "traditional gamer" or a "story gamer"?

Why?
>>
File: all hope lost.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
all hope lost.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>47040909
Story gamer. If I wanted to play something purely for the mechanics or difficulty, I'd just pick up a video game.

That being said, I'm like the gamer who hates "gamers" when it comes to being a s "story gamer". The majority of "story gamers" are unabashed faggots who think their 5th-grade tier angst fanfiction and waifu fantasies are the height of narrative genius. I like writing, I like being creative, and I like that other people enjoy those things... but fuck oh dear are 95% of the people with the same interests just fucking AWFUL at it.
>>
>>47040909
Neither, I play because the combination of mechanics and story make tabletop RPGS fun for me
>>
File: 1461241559826.jpg (35 KB, 311x374) Image search: [Google]
1461241559826.jpg
35 KB, 311x374
>>47040909
I'm a gamer gamer. I game games.
>>
Traditional gamer because nobody wants to play a story game with me.

Also I can't act or improvize very well. Just give me a dungeon to crawl.
>>
>>47040996

Yeah, the terms "traditional gamer" and "story gamer" only exist to start internet arguments.
>>
>>47040909
Story gamer that's why I read quests
>>
>>47040909
>Are you a "traditional gamer" or a "story gamer"?
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. you need to define these phrases.
>>
>>47040909
There isn't really the same dichotomy in narrative vs. mechanics in TTRPGs, or even wargames as there is in video games, as abstraction and imaginative interpretation of system mechanics are a natural part of playing. As opposed to a video game, where the storytelling is generally awful, and really is just background dressing; there to glance at in the background while you're having fun with what you dropped 60 dollars for, but will tear at the seems if you poke at it too much.
>>
>>47040909
Arch trad. I only like OSR games.
Also, all the sotrygamers I've ever met in person were humongous fags and I wouldn't want to play with them even if their games were so amazing that it made you shit yourself.
>>
I don't understand the difference. Where did these terms come from? What are you defining them as? Otherwise I might as well pull a Scotsman and go 'no TRUE traditional gamer wouldn't enjoy a good story'
>>
>>47040909
Mostly I'm a "wargamer" rather than either of those two. "Traditional gamer" comes closer to my attitude, but the tradition I come from is Battletech rather than early edition d&d.
>>
>>47040909

Fundamentally a Story Gamer I think. The purpose of the game in my eye is to craft an interesting and fun narrative for everyone involved. If that means fudging a rule here or there, maybe simplifying a certain mechanic, then so be it.

That said, I do think they're 'games' for a reason, and I've never been especially fond of free-form RPGs, or house-ruling to the point that the original game becomes unrecognizable.

Game mechanics aren't the be-all-end-all, but they *do* serve as a focus and anchor for the experience. Jeopardize that too much, and you just end up with everyone at the table arguing about how their interpretation/modification of a rule is superior, and suddenly goal #1 is just as unattainable as if everyone was a powergamer going unerringly by book.
>>
>>47042214

He's trying to bait us in a Forge (and post-Forge) vs anti-Forge argument.

>I mostly don't play games where the rules are "DM decides", but then, I don't bitch about that shit either
>>
I think the mechanical composition of the world and the narrative are both very important, it's hard to run a game about scary monsters or something if all your monsters have no bite and just get trounced by PCs.
>>
I play RPG's for "the story", but I prefer "traditional" mechanics as opposed to narrative mechanics.

Why?

Story is the most interesting bit to me, but it doesn't feel like a convincing series of events unless the game mechanics are grounded it some form of reality. When amazing things happen, they're TRULY amazing, not simply narrative convention or spend X points to do X amazing feat because "muh agency".
>>
>>47042338
...Forge? What is forge?
>>
>>47040909
Get the fuck outta here Ron Edwards that shit ain't real.
>>
>>47042214
It's meaningless shit that fuckers who are embarrassed about their hobby use to categorize and pidgeonhole something that is defined on an individual basis. It stopped being popular around 2009 and fucking died in 2012. People still regurgitate that shit here because the sources still exist, older Forge influenced GM may still hold onto those bullshit GNS theories, and /tg/ is nothing if not impressionable to the ideas of idiots pretending to understand.

http://therpgpundit.blogspot.com/2013/11/swine-pseudo-activism.html

This post explains it better than I ever could, even though I personally disagree with the parallels made with White Wolf games as that depended on the play style of the group just like everything else. That said at the turn of the century I was definitely one of those pseudo-artistic shitters.

TLDR: Story game vs. traditional game = pseudo-Intellectual bullshit and sales-bait for people who aren't even in the business anymore because they destroyed their own community.
>>
>>47042683

What about people who embrace the story game vs traditional games extreme though?

e.g. improvisational storytelling groups who barely roll dice vs OSR guys who just want to explore a dungeon and kill monsters?

In fact I'd say both groups are very tolerant of each other. It's not like there's a holier-than-thou war going on, it's just that most players lie somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>47042850
What about the people who follow the Bible literally and the people who are only nominally Christian?

Yes, it's a different scenario with its own sensitive issues, but there's the same level of variance, the same extremes, but almost everyone seems to agree that either extreme is not the best way of doing things, and instead argues for a middle (even with the problems that come with such a middling area being ignored).

So why argue for either extreme, if everyone's generally more happy in the middle and generally find either extreme unsavory?
>>
>>47040909
Depends. If "story gamer" means "let's ignore common sense for the sake of plot" or "the GM has already planned the story and your decisions have little to no meaning", then I'm definitely not that. I'm also not a "game gamer" if that means ignoring common sense for the sake of the rules or that I can't do something because it isn't described in the rules.
>>
>>47040909
I am firmly pro-skub.
>>
I am anti-skub.
>>
>>47047727
You'd better embrace the skub right fucking now you fucking faggot.
>>
>>47040909
What kind of difference is this? No, really, what the fuck, OP? No definition, just open ended question with heavily implying.
>>
I am a story gamer, as long as the story is written all together with the other player - and as long I still feel I'm actually playing a game.
>>
File: 1453157764878.jpg (498 KB, 952x1111) Image search: [Google]
1453157764878.jpg
498 KB, 952x1111
>>47040909

I'm a half-fae catboy!
>>
>>47040909
Neither of those terms mean anything. You just made them up. You're going to have to use actual words that mean things if you want to have a discussion,
But of course that's not what you want, you miserable troll.
>>
Is OP pic briar harlots sweets girl?
>>
>>47047911
>boy
Nice you've specified that anon, avoided us hell lot of confusion and awkward situations
>>
File: 1460863406918.png (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460863406918.png
51 KB, 500x500
Story. I like rules, but in the end if you are just playing for weekly combat, you can just play Warhammer or some shit. That is why it is a roleplaying game and not just a game.

As >>47042493
said having rules is still going to be handy for making a coherent world.
>>
File: 1453158391057.jpg (680 KB, 847x1200) Image search: [Google]
1453158391057.jpg
680 KB, 847x1200
>>47047994

I could be a girl catboy! You don't knyow!
>>
I'm a team gamer, I build support characters and then try to jive with the group on the focus of the campaign. I prefer story heavy games but totally roll with other balances too.
>>
>>47041034

This is the first time I've heard "story gamer" used as a term. Frankly I think it was just made up to propose a false dichotomy and foment an argument about "narrativist" and "gamist" roleplaying game philosophies.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.