[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legacy mtg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 10
File: 20160324_193436.jpg (6 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160324_193436.jpg
6 MB, 5312x2988
Legacy general. What are you playing and what do you hope to see in eternal masters?

UR delver only need 1 more force of will and I'm done!

I Hope they reprint chain lightning.
>>
File: [blood moon intensifies].jpg (124 KB, 300x900) Image search: [Google]
[blood moon intensifies].jpg
124 KB, 300x900
>>47039744
UR Twin and WR Blood Tax

The twin list is essentially what happens if you put Brainstorm, Wasteland, Force of Will, Ponder, Jace and Counterspell in the UR Twin shell. It's fun. Promise. You can kill someone with Pestermite+Jitte!

WR Taxes is Death & Taxes that eschews Karakas+Mangara hijinks for Spirit Guide and Blood Moon to gotcha Eldrazi Stompy, which is a large part of my shop meta. Considering switching to Imperial Taxes, but not convinced as it requires City of Traitors and is weaker to creature removal than Blood Tax.

I hope they fill EMA with Craw Wurms.
>>
File: Homer.jpg (149 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
Homer.jpg
149 KB, 530x600
>DRS playset for 28 quid

I was expecting them to be much higher, considering how much they see play in Legacy.
>>
>>47042241
they'll spike eventually. remember, rtr wasn't that long ago and TONS of product was opened. it's a 30 dollar card pretending to be an 8 dollar card.
>>
File: gotit.jpg (226 KB, 636x740) Image search: [Google]
gotit.jpg
226 KB, 636x740
>>47042275
I figured by this point it would've been established as an MVP.

I don't even have a use for them at the mo, I just like buying staples for use in the future.
>>
>>47042319
just wait til EMA drops and people start thinking that buying into legacy is a reasonable venture because 'only the blue duals are expensive, but they're only 500 each [just wait for it...] and you only have to buy them once!'
>>
>>47042241
It's banned in modern so the price is far more tame. It's also new enough that most copies haven't been hoarded yet
>>
Having fun on Xmage, getting people with mono U martyr. The sky hussar dream is still real.

As of IRL, thinking of buying either dredge or DnT. Which one do you think is better positioned against Eldrazi?
>>
>>47042928
DnT has the best overall match up. Dredge is the king of troll decks and some people think it helped keep eldeazi from dominating the format like in modern
>>
I enjoy Shardless BUG. BUG Delver, and Miracles. Not a thread for it, but I bought my first three pieces of power over the weekend, so I think I'll move into Vintage and 93/94.
>>
>>47043078
Then godspeed to you, may I join you in the far future when it is possible to have this much disposable income in Poland.
>>
>>47043119
Thanks, anon. I hope to see you on the battlefield someday.
>>
I'm playing ANT. Any good resources for playing the deck? My meta is very fair, lots of lands and stoneforge decks. Only 1 other guy plays combo (Belcher).
Hoping for grim tutor reprint in EMA.
>>
>>47043389
Goldfish it. Forever.
>>
I mostly play DDFT, and i'm hoping for a Doomsdat reprint with some new art cause the current art is right shit. I also have Belcher and Mono B Pox built but they just don't make my peeped hard enough.
>>
>>47043078
Mmmm I want to get power but I need to finish paying off my student loans first. Just a couple more duals and power and I'll be done collecting.
>>
File: 0f2bb13b19[1].png (27 KB, 635x309) Image search: [Google]
0f2bb13b19[1].png
27 KB, 635x309
>>47043389
SCG has a good article about how to sideboard as storm. The general rule of thumb I've used for normal play is "go off the turn before you're going to die".

Also I'm a budget babby but here's my list. Debating on whether Rite of Flame is better than Manamorphose. Any opinions?
>>
>>47044127
If you have burning wish, shouldn't tendrils be in the sideboard?
I think rite of flames is better. The extra mana is better than the extra card if you have the tutor/wish in hand.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-04-23-42-38.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-04-23-42-38.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
I play loam Pox. Hopefully the reprint Hymn to Tourach so i can get them foil. The foil art atm is pretty trash tbqh.
>>
>>47045565
>loam pox
mah nigga
>>
>>47039744
Currently building Bant Stoneblade, still pretty far out but i'm getting started
>>
>>47039744
Playing Elves right now, picked up 3 Trops and 2 Tundra for either a Bant or Infect deck, hoping to see Wasteland, Force, and maybe Jace take a price dip in EM.
>>
DnT reporting in
>>
>>47039744
Fish, ANT, and manaless dregde are the decks I run. No idea what this might say about me. EMT wish lists?
>>
Grixis Delver here. I love being able to be about 50% in every matchup
>>
Grixis Delver here. I love being able to be about 50% in every matchup..

I also play BUG Delver and aluren. Waiting on a Recruiter reprint to be able to play Aluren in paper
>>
>>47047383
>in every matchup
Dredge?
>>
File: 1437540468094.png (356 KB, 386x557) Image search: [Google]
1437540468094.png
356 KB, 386x557
any other four horseman players?
>>
I'm playing some kind of MUD stompy deck, feels so good to be able to slam a T1 Trinisphere off Monolith or even Chalice on 1. I've been going back and forth on a few Voltaic Keys in my lost though, it untaps Monolith and Metalworkwr to generate a ton of mana but it means Chalice on 1 has a downside for me, seeing as I don't have anything else at 1 cmc in the deck.
>>
>>47047409
Yeah actually. I've played the matchup a lot, it's either about leveraging DRS and using bolt to pop their bridges combined with countering any spell they cast. Post board it gets way easier
>>
>>47044561
It's 1 tendrils main and a second in the board to wish up.

>>47047475
I tried. the judge told me I could concede or he'd throw me out.
>>
>>47047910
>I tried. the judge told me I could concede or he'd throw me out.
Well fuck that judge, there are ways to play it without violating any rules.
>>
>>47047910
What a dick if you explain the combo most players will scoop to save time if they have no disruption
>>
>>47047910
That's hysterical. I don't have a great understanding of the rules surrounding it, if the loop can be repeated an infinite number of times until the desired outcome is achieved why can't it be shortcutted? Is it because the other cards in your graveyard need to be there in a certain order and you could't generate a random grabeyard to surround the rest of the combo cards?
>>
Building Eldrazi with a partial post mana base so I can ramp into the big stuff easily. The deck is cheap and great fun. I'm currently trying to decide between Ulamog's Crusher and It That Betrays as a one of for a stalemate breaker that can't be hit by karakas.

As for new prints I basically just want chalices, caverns and maybe trinisphere but most of my deck is modern legal
>>
>>47048054
Shortcuts are only permitted if you can specify the game state at the end of your loop and an integer representing the number of iterations through your loop, i.e., "I will repeat this 400 times and at the end there will be 400 Deciever Exarchs on the field."

Four Horseman can't do that.
>>
>>47048142
Why don't you just use a different kill
>>
File: Doomsday.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Doomsday.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
My legacy decks:

First, DDFT
>>
>>47048170
Because then it wouldn't be Four Horseman and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
>>
File: Pox.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Pox.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>47048179
Second, Pox
>>
Anyone else play burn?

Picked up Modern Naya Burn and made the transition to legacy with this list essentially: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/407563

Just curious how it fares in the overall meta.
>>
>>47048202
Yes, it would have the same victory condition (orb + monolith), but it wouldn't be stupid.
>>
Dredge
Used to play ANT but just sold all of my fetches and duals so I just have dredge and All spells left to play
ANT also wasn't as much fun as the other decks but it's legacy so they both are semi viable
>>
>>47048222
Correct hymn art

>>47048222
All the wrong art, try again. Nice white border brainstorm though
>>
>>47048239
Well then why don't you build it, kiddo.
>>
>>47048286
That's funny, ANT is my favorite deck to play. Its probably the most resilient deck in that pile.
>>
>>47048290
I actually have 3 different Hymn arts. I love mixing and matching arts and borders and languages because some people get unreasonably distressed by it, which delights me.
>>
>>47048332
You're 100% correct but I loved playing dredge as a kid so I decided to stick with it
It's still pretty solid if you get good matchups
>>
>>47048319
I prefer better decks. I'd just go for a narco/lab man kill.
>>
>>47048352
I think it's a solid deck, and I understand why some people prefer it. I just personally like deterministic kills

>>47048340
Fair. I prefer having decks that don't look like poop
>>
>>47048403
I guess looking like poop never bothered me. Came to terms with it in high school, you know what I'm sayin'?
>>
>>47047703
I'm in the same boat, do I go for Chalice and risk locking myself out of Welder and Key or try to hose combo harder with a higher chance of a T1 chalice on 1
>>
>>47048423
I guess if you don't appreciate aesthetics that's fine. I like having nostalgic cards in my decks
>>
>>47048179

>cards from different sets
>cards with white borders
>shocklands instead of duals

3/10 see me after class
>>
>>47048222

Why don't you have that black enchantment as Rack 4 to 7 instead of cursed scroll?
>>
>>47048707
Cursed rack his creatures
>>
>>47048093
How do you find it? I was thinking of buying in, especially with the wasteland reprint.
>>
>>47048668
I'm only missing 2 duals teach let me off the hook this time.
>>
>>47048707
Cursed Scroll is removal + wincon. It also makes the deck a bit less discard-focused, which is good.
>>
What basics do y'all run? I'm torn between Unglued Forests and BFZ Noah Bradley ones.

>tfw never getting a signed revised forest to match my duals
>>
>>47049318
I use the fullart zendikar lands, but I plan to switch to urza's saga lands.
>>
>>47048885
>>47049268

Makes sense.

I love Cursed Scroll as a card, the design is neat, the art is great and I have fond memories of it being the hottest shit when I started playing, but I never found a deck in which it would be a good choice.
>>
>>47049318
Mirage, Ice Age or Beta for me. I don't like the full art lands. APAC or Euro are cool too.
>>
>>47049387
Most pox decks play some number of Cursed Scroll, but they're about the only deck that does I think.
>>
>>47047475
>>47047910
Can someone explain to me how 4 horsemen works? I've never seen it before, but I've heard tales that shit is crazy.
>>
Does legacy burn splash white and green bullshit like modern?
>>
>>47049927
no it's always mono red because it gets hot shit like Price of Progress and Fireblast
>>
>>47049318
I have two unhinged forest from when I played modern infect. Unhingeds and APACs are the best and that European island is based as well
>>
>>47050165
But MTGO says otherwise
>>
File: 1399185996404.gif (300 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1399185996404.gif
300 KB, 853x480
>>47048228
posted this just 4 u f@m

http://bccomix.com/playing-the-game-with-legacy-burn-cameron-ramsay/
>>
>>47050214
I like full arts but I find John Avon overrated. He just makes everything look like it's glowing.
>>
>>47049690
It's a combo deck that mills its whole library with Basalt Monolith and Mesmeric Orb, but it plays one Emrakul because the graveyard pieces have to be milled in a certain order for the combo to work. Emrakul lets you mill over and over again until you hit all the pieces in the right order before hitting Emrakul. Statistically, you'll hit them in the right order eventually but because each iteration is random repeating it over and over is considered slow play.
>>
>>47050244
That's wrong then. While you could, there are enough good burn spells in red that being immune to wasteland is more important
>>
>>47050677
See, I just use the lands from my old decks. The zen/bfz full arts both look extremely digital
>>
Just came in to share something I saw over the weekend.

>Go to Uni's Magic Club looking for an EDH game
>They're running a Legacy Tournament
>Not very serious as there's a bunch of black and white printed cards
>Watch one match with a guy who has a printed Jace the Mind Sculptor on the field
>Briefly wonder why anyone would have him in casual play but continue to watch
>Guy then plays a REAL Jace the Mind Sculptor
>Proceeds to end the game by Having his opponent twice

I don't think I'll ever play against him.
>>
building lands. i have all of the cheap shit and groves (i play tron) and im just gonna proxy the rest of it. shit is indistinguishable anyway.
>>
>slowly build Fish over time
>don't really get to at much
>I have everything except wastelands
>check recent lists
>everyone is running Chalice
>chalice is $40 now

The ride never ends.

I'll get there eventually.
>>
>>47050550
>>47048228
Are you lads telling me that at this very moment, I'm just a playset of Chain Lightnings away from Legacy? Golly, I'd better finish that Pauper Burn deck so I can switch on the fly.
>>
Playing Miracles and loving it. The deck walks such a fine tightrope.
>>
>>47039744
Playing esper miracles. Been fun, show and tell shits it's pants when I put a "the abyss" onto the battlefield and storm and ANT has difficulties playing around thoughtseize/IOK with counterbalanced top lock
>>
>>47054610
Eidolon of the great revel is kind of important for the deck, goblin guide is pretty good.

Price of progress can be great, but you can always just flame rift motherfuckers.
>>
>>47049075
Not him, but I really don't like the deck. So many people are playing it that now the meta has shifted and people know how to play against it. I'm on Grixis delver, and after losing to it a whole bunch I figured out the matchup and now consider it quite favourable.

I would recommend it to someone who doesn't like making a lot of decisions, or who isn't confidant in their ability to outplay their opponents. The deck is quite one dimensional, but if you're ok with that it might just be for you.
>>
anyone else playing enchantress?
post secret tech
>>
i just bought my very first deck, what the fuck is a "legacy" magic?
>>
>>47056876
it's a format
you can play cards printed from every edition except few banned cards (mostly the one printed in the "what the fuck are we doing" era of WotC)
>>
>>47056876
>>47056967
constructed magic is divided in "formats"
the official one (aknowledged and supported by WotC) are
T2 aka Standard -> you may play cards printed in the last 3 blocks of expansions (atm 2/3 of Tarkir block, new Zendikar block, magic origins and new Inninstrad)
Modern -> doesnt rotate like standard, all cards printed since Mirrodin block, but there is a banlist
T1.5 aka Legacy ->all cards from every expansion except gold bordered (strange promos or UN-editions) there is a banlist that prevents some extraordinary imba cards to be played tho (Ancestral recall, moxes, Time walk, time vault et simili)
T1 aka Vintage-> can play every card, most broken ones are limited to 1 copy instead of 4 (still stuff like bazaar are allowed 4x)

EDH aka commander -> decks are build with 99 cards + a commander (must be legendary creature) and every card is 1x, has some rules that allow multiplayer to be more fluid and slow

Pauper -> recognized by WotC but has no direct support from them, you can play only common printed cards, decks are default 60=< cards (it is no directly supported because it is a "poor" format and gives Wizard too few money)

Tiny Leader -> like commander, 1x copies for each card, decks are build with 49 cards+commander, cards cant have >3 mana cost
>>
>>47056876
>>47056967
>>47057040
If you're just playing casually, you won't care about tournament formats though
>>
>>47056438
I love the deck I theory but I can't be arsed to buy into it when it doesn't share any cards with the legacy decks I already have.
>>
By playing 4 shocks instead of ABURs in ANT how much would I worsen my win percentage, give or take?
>>
>>47057641
Well, the Ad Nauseam kill gets a lot more difficult. It should rarely matter if you can naturally chain enough spells together, but since you only need one of each dual as you will mostly fetch for it, I would definitely recommend getting one Volc and one USea.
>>
>>47057680
Since you run even less - and more cmc expensive - mana than TES (which I am playing), I would say that 10% of AdNaus kills are lost as you often have to dig deep and stay out of bolt range and stuff.
Again, it doesn't affect much the natural kill, but you will lose maybe 3% of games to burn or two goyfs where you might have won with one lifepoint left.
>>
>>47057641
If, like many ant decks, you don't actually play Ad Nauseum, you won't lose many games to your lands except in the aggro matchups and combo mirrors.
>>
>>47045565
>cringy self drawn anime deck box.

Yup, legacy player alright
>>
>>47045565
>>47048222

You're my heroes. I've been wanting to play legacy pox for years, especially loam pox. It felt sweet crop rotating a forest to a karakas then bouncing a Show and Tell'd Emrakul. I've enjoyed playing with or against all the legacy decks I've tested online. Yes they're not all fun, but I enjoy the interactions and decisions more than what's presented in other formats.

I could never get any friends to get into legacy though, because they thought modern was cheaper and better. Now they each have multiple modern decks so they probably would have saved money getting into legacy and not getting their decks banned (I'm salty, because they banned delver right after I built it). At least I managed to get the group into EDH so we can all enjoy playing with older cards and mechanics.
>>
>>47059757
>I'm salty, because they banned delver right after I built it
wut?
>>
>>47059953
I built the Red Blue delver deck with treasure cruise, because I had been wanting to play delver for a couple years and loved the cruise version. Then they banned cruise which I think was unnecessary. The meta was starting to deal with cruise decks well enough. People complain about modern getting stale, because it's always the same few decks, but once something new comes out that changes the meta they whip out the banhammer.
>>
>>47060136
Nigga just stop, functional reprints of power have no place in Legacy.
>>
>>47059757
I built 8rack and saw Pox. So the great difference in power level so I decided to go into legacy. I didn't play it for a year because my friends wouldn't see the light. Thankfully they saw the light. Now in my playgroup we have sultai, grixis delver, Eldrazi, Halloween party, Pox, and elves. SO MUCH FUN I TELL YOU ;-;.
>>
>>47056314
I'm the original guy, agreed with all of this. It's linear (which is why my version is going to be slightly more toolbox for my own sanity) but it's cheap and it's Eldrazi, which I've wanted to be a deck since I started playing.
>>
>>47050711
You can get around slow play by changing steps every time you shuffle back in with no board state changes.
>>
>>47061565
Changing the phase doesn't count, you need to pass the turn and try again on your next if you can't present relevant changes in the board state or life totals.
>>
>>47059757
Pox was my first legacy deck because mono B rack pox without Lili and wasteland is pretty cheap and reasonably competitive. Then it only improves as you put more money into it, and you can branch out into other colors for loam pox or holy pox variants as you desire. Plus I like griefer decks.
>>
Is there anyone here who has experience with miracles and ANT? I love my miracles deck but will I be to used to control to play combo? I've always had an interest in ANT since combo is my favourite Archetype and ANT is the most fair but still good way to combo
>>
>>47062119
Changing phases/steps is fine. As long as the game state is being advanced.

I still don't personally understand why horsemen players care so much which kill they used. I always thought orb/monolith was the point of the combo and there are plenty of ways to kill somebody with a 50-card graveyard or whatever.
>>
>>47064074
if you practice ANT you will learn to be good with ANT, no matter what other decks you've played. The downside of picking up ANT would be that there is almost no overlap between the decks so you would have to buy a whole new expensive legacy deck.
>>
>>47060353
Yeah but I wasn't talking about cruise being legal in legacy. Modern doesn't have brainstorm, preordain, or ponder which makes cruise worse. Pod was doing better than the decks that ran cruise and dig. Delver would run shitty cards in order to make cruise work that got shittier if cruise was shut off. I don't think adding more power to the meta is necessarily a bad thing if it isn't ruining the format. I feel like unbanning blood braid elf could have helped with the blue combo and aggro decks.
>>
>>47064074
I've played a lot of ANT. Goldfish it a lot, there are a lot of weird lines that can win games. If you cant win, try things like value Past in Flames or Cracking LED in response to a cantrip

>>47065118
You end up with 2 Usea, 1 volc, 1 trop and 8 blue fetches. Thats all reasonably portable
>>
>>47065118
All the cantrips, LEDs go to Belcher and Dredge, dual lands.
>>
>>47050550
Delicious. Thank you kind anon.
>>
>>47039744
Just found out that legacy sprung up in my area. I'm thinking of trying out Eldrazi, Lands, and UR Delver.

Any tips on what I need to watch out for?
>>
>>47068361
>>47068361
Eldrazi is really easy to play, UR delver is interesting, and really dependent on your specific list

Lands is really tough to play. Thespians stage has a lot of uses
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.