[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cocked die
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: cockedie.jpg (7 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
cockedie.jpg
7 KB, 234x215
what rules does /tg/ use to determine if a die is cocked?
>>
>>47036723
If you can't place a second die on it without moving the die or the second die falling off, its cocked.
>>
>>47036723
Reroll.
No dice stacking or protractors required.
If it looks crooked, then just reroll it.
>>
>>47036783
so it has to be perfectly flat?
>>
>>47036723
Use dice with straight edges instead.
>>
File: concave die.jpg (27 KB, 625x465) Image search: [Google]
concave die.jpg
27 KB, 625x465
>>47036723
use concave dice, they tend to make one face stick up 'more'
>>
>>47036723
If 6 is one of the top sides then it's critical hit. Otherwise it's critical fail.
>>
just stick to coins, add up a whole bunch of heads or tails, come back when you get a cocked D2
>>
File: totally cocked.jpg (353 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
totally cocked.jpg
353 KB, 3008x2000
>>47036943
Rolled my 100d2 dicepool, picrelated happened. What do?
>>
>>47037049
Attempt to repeat feat with video camera.

>inb4 dick caught in coins
>>
>>47036723
If more than 1 face can be realistically said to be on top.

And in said scenario, I usually offer the player the choice of taking the lowest or rerolling, unless one of the top faces is the crit, in which case you flip a coin to confirm the crit.
>>
>>47036723
I look at the die. If I would describe the die's position as "jank," I call for a reroll. If it's some obvious shit like the die landed barely tilted against a coaster or some shit, I take whatever's on top. If the highest face is low but the die is cocked due to some garbage or mess in front of the player, I take the low roll with no reroll because you fucks need to keep your space clean, or roll in a more open area.
If the die rolls off the table, it's a reroll the first three times, and a crit-fail every time after that. Control your fucking rolling you god-damned heathen.
>>
I've been playing for a decade and this has never happened to me.
>>
>>47036723
The die is cocked if it starts multiplying after you give it a good sniff.
>>
Gently open the vadiena. If the die's been cocked, the diemen will be broken.
>>
>>47036723
You take out your cock and slap the table. If you get an erection, the die was cocked.
>>
Everyone rolls in front of themselves. Usually on top of their personal notebook. If they can't read it themselves aka I chucked my dice across the table "It's a 1" is my reply.
It usually falls prey to my cat if it hits the floor. Hardwood = she knows the sound of it hitting and it's in her territory then.
I have dice under the fridge.
Also found stray dice on the basement floor on several occasions.
>>
If it lands on a soft surface, the result is invalid. For example, thick carpet or upholstery. Otherwise, whatever's clearly facing up is the result.
>>
If you've got to ask the question then it's cocked.
No time for dallying.
>>
>>47036806
thats what we do in bloodbowl. if the dice lands on the edge of a piece of paper you need to reroll. no excuses ever. no discussions.
>>
Cups nigga cups. If you cant land the cup on the table, well im sorry for ya.
>>
>>47036750
>If you can't place a second die on it without moving the die or the second die falling off, its cocked.

This is what we use as well.
>>
>>47036723
Roll on a hard flat surface like a table. If it falls off or lies on anything else than said flat surface (even if it's partway on a single sheet of paper), reroll it. Seems harsh, but works while all attempts at any more reasonable form of this rule resulted in regular arguments of "it's enough/not enough to count as cocked"
>>
>>47037049
Are you an abnormal?
>>
File: 1458569134174.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1458569134174.gif
2 MB, 400x332
>>47036723
smack the table and see what side drops
>>
>>47036723
what rules does /tg/ use to determine if a cock is died?
>>
File: cock.jpg (159 KB, 1200x957) Image search: [Google]
cock.jpg
159 KB, 1200x957
>>47038960
forgot pic
>>
>>47038960
If it's at -10 HP.
>>
>>47038960
Doesn't chant in the morning.
>>
>>47038456
Abnormies get out!
MINUSREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
We always reroll it, no matter what the result was.
>>
If you can't determine by glancing at it what face is on top, you reroll it. If you habitually call cocked when the die is low and uncocked when the die is high, I don't play with you anymore.
>>
If someone is using a broken random number genorator
>>
>>47036918
What the fuck is this even
>>
If the group is unable to unanimously decide on which of the visible results is the most valid, it gets rerolled. Simple.
>>
>>47036723
If not fully flat on the table surface it's a reroll. Anything that fall off the table is also a reroll.
>>
>>47036750

I came to post this.
>>
>>47036750
>If you can't place a second die on it without moving the die or the second die falling off, its cocked.
Indeed.
>>
>>47036723
If you can place another die on top of it, the roll stands, otherwise reroll

Also you rolled a 7 in that picture
>>
>>47036806
Down to the Micron.

Honestly, you can't find a flat surface to roll dice on?
>>
>>47036723
My friend have an awesome system

>slightly and imperceptible: re roll the dice
>totally cocked, we can't tell what he rolled but he roll it: success, what are we arguing about, gid gud.
>>
File: Surface_plate.jpg (50 KB, 1296x606) Image search: [Google]
Surface_plate.jpg
50 KB, 1296x606
>>47042377
>not rolling dice exclusively on a surface plate
>>
>>47036723
I use Gamescience dice, so they don't ever land like this.

However, we use a dice tower for some games and on rare occasions a die will lean against the side of the tower. In cases like this, that one die is re-rolled after the others have been counted and removed (if applicable).
>>
>>47043739
>Gamescience

Looked at their website. Are they really that good? It's just fucking dice, right?
>>
>>47036723
I had it happen once. Combat suddenly halted as the god of chaos appeared and asked the wizard what the fuck he was playing at before giving him a mysterious necklace (that was really just an ordinary necklace) and pantsing the guard the wizard was fighting.

It felt appropriate when I was 16
>>
File: 785936.jpg (9 KB, 210x200) Image search: [Google]
785936.jpg
9 KB, 210x200
>>47044464
They're pretty decent. Have had mine since the mid-90s and they have held up well. Some of the paint on the numbers have worn off over the years but that will happen with any die that gets used regularly.

As for how random they are I couldn't really say. We had originally gotten them because we had a die that was spitting out the same number more often than seemed normal. Haven't had those issues since and it has been a long time.

But yeah, Gamescience makes a nice die. I've also had no complaints with Chessex; however, I guess I drank some of the Gamescience koolaid because I like the sharper edges better and the rationale behind having them seems to make sense.
>>
>>47036723
The player dies.

Not the character.

The player.
>>
>>47036723
If it's not completely flat, with a little bit of wiggle room depending on whatever surface we're rolling on and how many papers are around and so on (so typically it needs to be like 95% level).

If a die is cocked, or goes off the table or something like that, reroll it and all the others you rolled at the same time.

If there is a disagreement, the DM settles it, if we're not playing something with a DM then the host settles it.
>>
>>47044701
Chessex is shit anon.
>>
>>47036723
When it happens we will either:

-reroll ONLY the cocked die
-reroll ALL of the dice in the roll

Before we play we determine how we're going to do it. Usually we only reroll the cocked die, but with some group configurations there are people that would rather reroll all.

It's no big deal to make the accommodation. And once it is decided upon, that is the rule for that session.
>>
>>47036723
Whichever face is opposite the bottom one is the result.

Not sure which face is on the bottom? It's the one that's holding the die up with more than one point of contact.

Not happy with that? Probably on the spectrum.

More than one face fits that requirement? Try rolling on a flat surface, dipshit. Use a dice tray if you have to.
>>
File: Nine Handred Dollarydoos.png (568 KB, 929x700) Image search: [Google]
Nine Handred Dollarydoos.png
568 KB, 929x700
>>47045489
Oh I really like this solution. Nice one Anon!
>>
The rule is if I roll a cocked die and the result would favour me I have to re-roll. Isn't that how it works?
>>
>>47036723
>what rules does /tg/ use to determine if a die is cocked?
This is the worst thread ever created. I mean for fuck sake, the first post answers everything "If you can't place a second die on it without moving the die or the second die falling off, its cocked."
>>
>>47036723
In my group the rule is somewhere between "reroll it" and "god damn it Craig stop it with the dice tower it's not even helping anything you fuck!"
>>
saltwater
>>
Go buy some real fucking dice. That's the rule. It's a house rule. As in....get out of my house.
>>
>>47036750
how does this work?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.