[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What games should I buy to have a decent variety and breadth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: 1297126258410.jpg (209 KB, 960x1800) Image search: [Google]
1297126258410.jpg
209 KB, 960x1800
What games should I buy to have a decent variety and breadth of systems? I already have:

>DnD 5E
>Pathfinder
>Force and Destiny
>Cypher System Rulebook

I'm going to buy DnD Essentials (I really like trade paperback size books), The One Ring and Savage Worlds; is there anything else I should add to my Amazon cart before checking out?
>>
>>47028710
>variety and breadth of systems
>DnD AND Pathfinder
Throw out Pathfinder, buy 13th age, 7th sea(Pirates, swashbuckling, Zorro stuff) and Battle Century G (if you dig giant robots).
>>
>>47028781
>Pathfinder
Bought the PDFs four years ago, if I had physical books I would have traded them in.

I'll look into your suggestions, I haven't heard of the last two. I'm more interested in games with fewer rules or more general rules than stuff like 3.5 or Pathfinder. Are 7th Sea or BCG similar?
>>
File: Fantasy-Age-Basic-Rulebook.jpg (125 KB, 450x584) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy-Age-Basic-Rulebook.jpg
125 KB, 450x584
Additionally, anyone played Fantasy Age? What's it like? Is it good? Is it worth buying?

How about Ryuutama?
>>
Savage Worlds
Burning Wheel
Shadowrun
>>
>>47028710
Why did you list pathfinder twice?
>>
>>47029266
>Burning Wheel
I would rather buy Mouse Guard desu, I've heard Burning Wheel is very rules heavy and slow whereas Mouse Guard is more stripped down and faster. Am I right? Is Mouse Guard so stripped down it's bad?
>>
>>47028710

I'd suggest games without GMs, for example, like Polaris.
>>
>>47028710
Mage: The Ascension
I had tons of fun with it.
Don't make a mixed team with werewolves & shit.
>>
>>47029407
>Polaris
Never heard of it, never really thought of an RPG with no GM. How's it work if you don't mind me asking?

>>47029557
>Mage: The Ascension
Not sure how into WoD I am but I'll take a peak.
>>
>>47028710
Okay, so.
Get some World of Darkness in there. I'd go for the classic (Vampire the Masquerade) and then maybe also one of the odder game lines like Wraith the Oblivion.
Get some rules-lite story games with a lazer-focus one one sort of genre. Don't Rest Your Head (you've been awake too long and now the world is in trippy-vision), Monsterhearts (basically Buffy) and Trail of Cthulhu (investigative cosmic horror) are my recommendation.
Get warhammer fantasy roleplay (first edition if you can get it). Get one of the 40K rpgs.
Get proper oldschool DnD. See if you can get the mentzer basic set, or one of the retro-clones like Swords and Wizardry.
Get Traveller. Just do it, it's got the best character gen in any system.
Get Paranoia, because it's fun as fuck and does what it sets out to achieve perfectly.
Get Iron Claw, since once you get past the furry the system's really fuckin' tight.
Get one of those super-generic systems. Gurps or fate, or savage worlds.
Get something cute and nice. Ryuutama or Golden Sky Stories work nicely.

That lot between 'em should give you a dicent overview of the different styles of game out there.
>>
File: 146.png (922 KB, 1240x844) Image search: [Google]
146.png
922 KB, 1240x844
>>47028710
You shouldn't, really.

Instead play as many games with as many different groups as you can and find out what you like. Any decent game has quickstart rules for you to download, and they usually throw in a little scenario as well. Try those and only buy games that are useful to you, as reference, for art, or as a collector's item. Support the hobby, not Hasbro.

>Pretty RPG books to display
Degenesis
Blue Rose
Lamentations of the Flame Princess

>Rules you might want to have handy
BRP
ORE
Fate

>Collect
Call of Cthulhu
Unknown Armies
Kult

>Support the publisher
Dread
Torchbearer
>>
>>47029932
>>47029932

Basically the game divides in 3 the role of the GM. It's about a fantastic chivalric order in a diying world (I'm not sure how the describe the feeling: it's theatrical, in the sense that seems like something on stage. Operatic, perhaps).
If you're playing your knight -normal PC role- A would play the demons, and B and C societal roles (one would be playing the persons your knight is more sentimentally attached to, the other the ones like his peers or superiors in the order). I'd say in practice scenes are pretty mixed and you'll most likely fight demons AND have more less civlized interactions with other people in the same quantity.
You'll probably be asking now "how the fuck don't roles overlap, in describing things?". That's where the actual brilliance of the game comes in. It uses ritual phrases so that if you dont' want something to happen, for example, you could say to the demon ripping the heart of your mother You Ask Far Too Much to make him do something minor, maybe just snatching her. It's not without a cost, of course: you have to use an Aspect of yours for the scene (something that characterizes your character, an ability, an object, someone): maybe your faithful steed comes to her rescue before the demon can act, but they're in a desperate grapple, a demon minion is taking your unconscious mother away and you have to decide quickly what to do.
And... the ritual phrases don't end here. Not just because there are more of them (like It Shall not Come to Pass and But Only If), but because you can answer a Phrase with another. You negotiate the conflict that way until the one who didn't start accepts the resolution that emerged.

When your scene is over, the roles rotates and you'll be, perhaps, the one that uses the demons for the other knight.

As I said, something different. And trust me, it's not as difficult as it might seem in the slightest.

Here it is. http://www.tao-games.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/polaris-ebook.pdf
>>
>>47030286
This.
>>
>>47030212

>Monsterhearts

>Basically Buffy

Meh. MH is at his best when it's pure unaltered highschool drama, just a tiny bit more fucked up than most.

Though I have to admit I'd like to see a Chosen kick ass.
>>
Get Fiasco RIGHT NOW, OP.

It's the RPG that is almost impossible to dislike
>>
>>47028885
>Chris Pramas

Not likely to be good based on past form (WFRP 2, Dragon Age RPG)
>>
File: 1282839532625.jpg (38 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1282839532625.jpg
38 KB, 268x265
>>47030212
>World of Darkness
I don't know. There used to be some goth kids in my middle school who "LARP'd" VtM at our local park so to me WoD is irrevocably faggy.

>Trail of Cthulhu
I'll look into this. I'm definitely more into rules lite, less combat heavy games than anything else. How is Apocalypse World? I've been thinking of buying Dogs in the Vineyard, I'm a sucker for Wild West stuff.

>WFRP/40K
I might get WFRP, what edition would you recommend if I can't find 1E? I don't really like 40K though.

>Traveller
>Paranoia
>Iron Claw
Definitely in the running.

>generic system
How would you contrast FATE and Savage Worlds?

>Ryuutama
I've been looking at it for awhile, what's it like?

>>47030286
That's good thinking. I came into a lot of money though and just want some cool books.

Of the ones you listed I'm mostly interested in Degenesis, Unknown Armies and Torchbearer have previously caught my eye. I'm just worried they're too slow, rules heavy or samey to keep my interest. I'll look at Dread and Kult, too.

>>47030589
Oh, I thought you meant this:

http://www.polaris-rpg.com/

>>47030699
I've heard it's good but I wonder if I'll convince anyone to play it. I don't usually like those types of movies anyway.

>>47030712
>Dragon Age RPG
Bad news, my fiance wants this so I'm probably buying it regardless. How bad is it?
>>
>>47029352
Mouse Guard is cool, and if you're willing to fiddle with the skill list and weapons it can be good for other things as well.
>>
>>47031221

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJxQ0NbFtk

Well, anyway, this is how you actually play Fiasco.
>>
I've also been thinking of buying Fate of the Norns, I love Norse myth and the obvious idea of an RPG set in a real-world mythology is strangely novel to me.

>>47031290
Thanks, it has caught my every time I go to the FLGS for a few years. I think I'll have to pick it up!

>>47031335
I'll see if I can tolerate Wil Wheaton long enough to watch.
>>
>>47028781
Seconding 7th Sea, though I would wait till later this year and get 2e once it hits the shelves.

I'll throw the following into the ring.

In Nomine - A game set in a Cold War between Heaven and Hell. Players are generally Angels or Demons and not necessarily opposed as factions on both sides want to maintain the status quo.

Earthdawn - Fantasy Fallout. Nasty monsters from the depths of the astral plane invade. Everyone hides in warded underground bunkers until the monsters go away. Now a new world awaits. Really awesome magic system, especially for items.
>>
>>47030212
>>Get proper oldschool DnD. See if you can get the mentzer basic set, or one of the retro-clones like Swords and Wizardry.

I'd go for the Rules Cyclopedia over Mentzer Basic as it has almost all of BECMI in one handy book.
>>
>>47028710
>DnD 5E
>Pathfinder
This should cover your "D&D or something similar" quota. You can probably avoid all the retroclones and similar games, unless you are interested in one.

As for recommendations:

The World of Darkness core rulebook is very nice. It's quite different than the D&D books, although I'm not sure if the others you listed use dice pools. The Vice/Virtue system and Willpower is an interesting feature. And the flavor is just great; I've enjoyed sitting down and just reading through the books, even if I don't use the material. Definitely something different to look at.

Fate Core/Fate 4.0 is available as a pay-what-you-want off their website, so if you are picking up digital PDFs, it's worth checking out. It's a fair bit different from most common games, requiring a bit more active participation from the players and a different way of putting together settings and encounters.

I've not played that many other systems, and I'm not sure what's new out there right now, so I'll hold off on other suggestions at the moment.
>>
>>47032452
Should I get Fate Core or Fate Accelerated?
>>
>>47034216
Fate Core is the better choice.

Fate Accelerated is if you just want a quick set of rules, but it's a little bit odd (it has six "approaches" rather than skills) and doesn't have the ways of customizing with the PDF. If you've been through D&D and Pathfinder, then Fate is going to be very easy in comparison.
>>
>>47034533
Thanks, I'll grab it.
>>
File: Shadows of the Demonlord.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Shadows of the Demonlord.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>47031221
>how bad is Dragon Age.
it's pretty much the game as a roleplaying game.
Fantasy age is pretty good, and the guy bitch about Chris Pramas is actually pretty decent game writer and designer. WFRP 2nd edition is pretty much one of the better fantasy games out their.
if you like horror/ dark fantasy games, I would recommend WFRPG 2nd edition, just expect to look for a while for it. or if you're like me, get Shadow of the Demon Lord.
but that heavily implies you want to run Horror Games or not.
>>
>>47028710
>DnD 5E
When I see "DnD" instead of "D&D" it outs me that the person typing is new to the hobby and probably still in that "3.5e is great lol I'ma make a meme murder hobo" phase so I avoid them.
>>
>>47035147

Does In-N-Out freak you out too?
>>
I would say ignore D&D Essentials. The reason why I say this is because Essentials is just 4E reprinted in an unusual format. As such, it's just WOTC d20 D&D.

It may be a particularly unusual incarnation thereof, but at the end of the day, you've already got 5E and Pathfinder. You don't need Essentials.

What you DO need is the AD&D 2e reprints. Now THAT will give you variety, since you'll have an old-school game thrown into your mix. It's quite different from anything else you've got so far. That, or get the D&D Rules Cyclopedia, if you can find it.
>>
>>47035392
>You already have D&D 5e and Pathfinder, what you need is variety.
>What you need is another edition of D&D. Now THAT will give you variety.
>>
>>47035392

Note: for AD&D 2e, you don't actually need the reprints specifically. If Amazon is anything to go by, the old black books are actually cheaper.
>>
>>47035419

AD&D is a very different sort of game from d20. While both are definitely geared towards heroic/epic fantasy, they approach it in very different ways. And it's simply a demonstrable fact that old school RPGs are not designed the same way RPGs have been since 2000.
>>
>>47035147
> that the person typing is new to the hobby and probably still in that "3.5e is great lol I'ma make a meme murder hobo" phase

>New to the hobby
>3.5

People who are new to the hobby haven't really been 3.5 fans for years bro. Its not the 90s anymore brother and all but the most dedicated grognards have moved on.

In fact, your post sounds like bait. New players have their share of problems but who doesn't have embarassing stories of characters who sounded like a better idea at the time?

Besides, OP came in asking to broaden his RPG horizons. Dont be a dickhole.
>>
>>47035459
>Its not the 90s anymore
Nobody was a 3.X fan in the 90s.
>>
OP, I'd suggest Hunter in terms of WoD games.

Rather than playing a party of faggy vampires, you play a party of somewhat damaged persons who murder vampires.

Also Legend of the 5 Rings for fantasy settings of vastly different tone. Id recommend 4th edition but thats just cause thats what i played.
>>
File: made a deal with a dragon.jpg (98 KB, 538x720) Image search: [Google]
made a deal with a dragon.jpg
98 KB, 538x720
>>47035487
You are right. I should have said late 90s early through mid 2000s.

Also, how did this thread go this far with nobody suggesting Shadowrun?
>>
>>47035443

You're totally right and I was kind of being a dick, but something about someone saying "I'm largely only really familiar with D&D, what should I get to have more variety?" and getting "More D&D" as the recommendation struck my funny bone.
>>
>>47035501
>late 90s
No 90s at all, 3.0 was introduced in Y2K.

> how did this thread go this far with nobody suggesting Shadowrun?
Because Shadowrun's rules are a shitpile.
>>
>>47035501

Because Shadowrun is the kind of game you only recommend to your enemies.
>>
>>47028710
Pirate EVERYTHING. Compare, later buy what is good for your taste.

Also throw in some dedicated superhero games - Mutants and Masterminds or Marvel Heroic.
>>
>>47035528
>Pirate EVERYTHING. Compare, later buy what is good for your taste.
This. You'll probably end up spending at least as much money in the long run, but your decisions on what to buy will be much better informed.
>>
>>47028710

Savage Worlds
Nice rules light engine that you can teach in a few minutes, get a character going in about 5 and have fun doing whatever you want with it. Oh, and it's dirt cheap.

Warhammer Roleplay
I actually really like the system. WFRP 2nd has a fun job system and is generic fantasy. For the 40k ones, Black Crusade and later are nice though I would skip if you aren't into that universe

Shadowrun
Unless you're into crunch, avoid this.
>>
Gonna second Tochbearer.
>>
>>47035511
Holy shit! My childhood memory of recieving D&D 3rd edition was off a few years. Nice call, I just checked and you are right.

That said my point that 3.5 relevance have been declining hardcore still has merit I feel. Every pathfinder group I know moved on to 5th edition D&D.

>>47035524
....Ok that might be a fair sentiment, but I fucking love Shadowrun. You seriously get to do silly shit in that setting that just doesn't fly elsewhere. Of course I've never played rifts.
Its the only game i've played where an orc barbarian, Sterling Archer, Judge Dredd, a Wizard in a rapist van, and a midget who controls robotic dogs and birds is a completely valid and perfectly workable group.

>>47035555
Agreed. When you find a game you really want, you will want to buy the book anyway.
>>
>>47028710
Dungeons the Dragoning: 40,00, 7th edition
>>
>>47035720

Yes, nothing else is needed
>>
>>47031221
Can't say anything about Torchbearer, but I've played Unknown Armies and it runs great. It's a Greg Stolze game, and pretty much anything he touches runs fine.
>>
>>47035799
>>47035720
I have always been curious about DtD40k7ed but really have no idea what the flying fuck it is.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.