[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SAVAGE WORLDS RIFTS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 19
/tg/ It is time to Rejoice!

Savage RIFTS is going to be a thing, the Kickstarter is already at $212,877 of it's $8,000 goal, with about 15 days left.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/rifts-for-savage-worlds?token=e38ccc40

I'm so excited to be get to use all my rift books again with the conversion rules, and all the fluff material.
>>
>>47021193

Free Glitterboy Preview
>>
>>47021202

Rifts was made during a time where AD&D was seen as the gold staple of RPGs, and as such is a hack of AD&D with 2-5 more dice rolls for any combat turn, and 100 more skills.
Then there are loads of subsystems for magic, chi, psionics, biomancy, and so on that all work just differently enough that you'll want to read up on them before they come up in game, vastly differing tech levels with various levels of (in)compatibility everywhere.

The setting itself had shit like wild west bandits firing revolvers that become magical simply due to the sheer grit of the bandit, who rides a dinosaur that may or may not actually be a robotic drug mule disguised as a dinosaur.
Giant tyranid swarms devouring all life in what was once the south western united states and mexico.
A man who took his inspiration on how to lead people literally from watching History channel documentaries on Adolf Hitler, and now runs a massive military faction that is humans only and believes in purging the mutants and the witches (except for those that can be easily controlled by their superior pure human brethren).
A federation of magic users, both good and supremely evil ones, with access to all sorts of crazy techno-wizardry in addition to their powerful magics, and a few godlings among them

And that's only a brief glimpse of what's happening in north america, leaving out the return of merlin in england, or the huge leaps in technology in germany, the gargoyle armies, the warlords of russia, the horsemen of the apocalypse in africa, the demon kings returning to asia, and FUCK SOUTH AMERICA.

Let alone the shit going on in the galaxy at large or the other two major galaxies.

But that is the one strength Rifts had, you could play more or less any concept or idea within it, and there would be a place for it somewhere in the setting, likely with stats written for it as well.
>>
Bump because the mere idea of this makes me harder than MDC armor
>>
The art for the new version looks dope as hell.
>>
>>47021869
>>
>>47021882
>>
>>47021897
>>47021882
>>47021869

The new art does look pretty fucking Sweet.
>>
>>47021897
>>
>>47021193
How does it do MDC?
>>
>RIFTS with good rules
Say what you want about the setting, but the production values and the mechanics look really nice.
>>
>>47022078
>>
>>47021219
Everyone seems to love talking about the wild kitchen sink weirdness of Rifts, but the thing that I actually love the most out of its setting is the effort it takes to portray doctors, scholars, teachers as amazing heroes.

A band of heroes using history, knowledge, and beauty to banish ignorance and want in a savage and illiterate world is a great premise. It's very positive.

That's why I never understood people complaining about the vastly different power levels. They're there to cater to different styles of play. You got the combat OCCs having fun blowing shit up while protecting the rogue scholars who do the hard work of trying to make the world a better place.
>>
>>47022085
Heavy Armor and Heavy Weapons from Savage Worlds core have been renamed Mega-Damage for Savage Rifts.
>>
>>47022091
>>
>>47022198

You Suspect, its not out yet, so no one is exactly sure yet.

Im guessing its something similar, but a next tier above Heavy Armor, and Heavy Weapons.
>>
File: lead_large.png (248 KB, 615x447) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.png
248 KB, 615x447
>>47022179
Agreed!
>>
>>47022270
No, I actually played in a demo run by Sean Patrick Fannon. So I know how a lot of the rules are going to work.
>>
File: 1460754823607.jpg (307 KB, 907x745) Image search: [Google]
1460754823607.jpg
307 KB, 907x745
>>47022293

Oh, then do regale us with your stories!
>>
>>47022479
I played a Glitter Boy at the GenCon 2015 demo, and it was pretty much what we're getting from the Glitter Boy preview we saw on the Kickstarter. The rest of the party were a cyber-knight, a mystic, a mind melter, a juicer, and a wilderness scout. We were working with the Tomorrow Legion to rescue some D-Bees from a Coalition expeditionary force and get them clear of the hot zone before Coalition reinforcements arrived. It was a good time, and there was a whole lot of stuff going on. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that people have, assuming I know the answer.
>>
File: 1455213652426.gif (2 MB, 357x210) Image search: [Google]
1455213652426.gif
2 MB, 357x210
>>47022558
Tell us more about the system.
>>
>>47023605
Well, it's Savage Worlds, very recognizably so. A few adjustments to names have been made for flavor purposes. Heavy Armor/Weapons are now Mega-Damage, Power Points are now PPE or ISP depending on whether you're a mage or a psychic, and everything is basically understandable to anyone who's played Savage Worlds before.

One of the big innovations are Heroic Archetypes, Mega-Trappings for magic users, and Super Psionics for psychic characters. Archetypes are basically packages you can take to represent the iconic stuff from Rifts, like the Glitter Boy pilot, Ley Line Walker, Mind Melter, and so on. Mega-Trappings let you boost up the powers you know by spending more points on them. So you could do a Mega-Damage bolt, or make your armor become MDC, or become astral with the intangibility spell, stuff like that. Super Psionics are similar things for psychic characters.

Every archetype gets a few rolls or picks off a bunch of tables that give them extra starting gear, bonus edges, or little story benefits.
>>
>>47023722

So, does this embrace or reject the idea that there can be significant power differences between characters in a story?

How does it handle mystics or characters with both magic and psionics?

Is there still the effect of "hit by MDC weapons, get insta-killed"?
>>
>>47024047
>So, does this embrace or reject the idea that there can be significant power differences between characters in a story?

It's Savage Worlds, so characters tend to be more balanced in terms of overall power, but each archetype has its own focus that it tends to be stronger in, with the assumption that a party covers each other's weaknesses.

>How does it handle mystics or characters with both magic and psionics?

Mystics have both a PPE and ISP pool, and they have special abilities that allow them to convert one to the other, or to apply their trappings across their powers in unique ways.

>Is there still the effect of "hit by MDC weapons, get insta-killed"?

Fuck no, and thank god. It's just Heavy Weapons and Heavy Armor from Savage Worlds core.
>>
File: Savage_Rifts-234x300.png (174 KB, 234x300) Image search: [Google]
Savage_Rifts-234x300.png
174 KB, 234x300
>>47024992
>>47023722

Tell us more!
>>
>>47026373
What do you want to know?
>>
>>47021193
Hoping we get to 300,000 so we get the pdfs consolidated into the player's handbook. If that happens I might spring for upgrading to the hardcover.
>>
>>47027442
Everything, just talk about it!
>>
>>47021897
Not shiny and chrome enough. The reason they're "Glitter Boys" is that they look like walking mirrors with rainbows streaking across wherever sunlight hits them.
>>
>>47021202
The thing about this preview I like is it shows work to codify disadvantages of the Glitter Boy that Rifts used to leave to vague GM fiat.

You can't move while the pylons are deployed (Deploying and retracting the pylons is trivial in Rifts but takes your turn in SW) meaning the GB will want a secondary weapon.
The GB cannot hide (-8 to stealth makes the roll basically impossible) and will always be the first thing attacked.
The gun can't be fired while near anyone you're trying to protect.

The only thing I'd change is that I'd start the vigor rolls for staying in the armor at 24 hours rather than 72.
>>
>>47026373
are there robot pilots
>>
>>47028678
Not among the base archetypes, but you could pretty easily make a robot pilot using the Glitter Boy package.
>>
>>47028973
Alright
Im not familiar with Savage Worlds but I love RIFTS so im looking forward to this
>>
>>47028678
>>47028973
One of the stretch goals is Jaeger Pilot. Logically you'd be able to take that and replace the Jaeger with something from Northern Gun if you wanted to.
>>
>>47028501
It was a lot of fun when I got to play and I'm looking forward to the final game being out!
>>
>>47024992
Well usually in a SW party you have the one or two supernatural dudes who are functionally about as capable as anyone else but they also have some powers and drawbacks attached to them. Usually along the lines of magical backlash or the threat of lynching.

This Glitterboy sounds like a walking plot device in terms of how strong they are. I don't know how the power balance was in Rifts but this is pretty unusual for a SW game.
>>
>>47030149
The Glitterboy is a walking artillery piece with the most powerful gun in the base game and a ton of armor
but the other party members can be powerful mages/psychics, guys piloting 30ft tall death machines, doctors/scholars and a dragon

Balance is really only up to the GM to decide as power levels range from one shot and your dead to walking apocalype
>>
>>47030312
In base Rifts anyway. There's more power parity built into Savage Rifts.
>>
>>47022179
That's all very well but until the game offers some guidance on how to actually use the wildly differing classes, even something as minimal as the tier system 3e fags use, I have to call it badly put together.
>>
anyone have the RIFTS corebook?
>>
File: splugorth slaver.jpg (108 KB, 771x561) Image search: [Google]
splugorth slaver.jpg
108 KB, 771x561
>>47030455
Do ya one better
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3wjc3rr9zqufo/Rifts
>>
>>47031258

Oh also it's not on their but world book 38 is up on 4shared if you search for it.

Fuck yeah for having the Manhunter book. That book was seen as a myth for ages.
>>
>>47031990

Err I mean 35. But have a link.

http://www.4shared.com/office/d0yjO8IWce/Rifts-_World_Book_35_Megaverse.htm
>>
File: 3F4QxV2.jpg (350 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
3F4QxV2.jpg
350 KB, 1280x960
Bump for Late night /tg/
>>
File: 1wHL7OMl.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1wHL7OMl.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>47035071
>>
>>47021219
>FUCK SOUTH AMERICA

South America was good though? The factions had better interconnections and made more sense than most of what's happening in NA.

Unless you're complaining about the ATL-7, vehicles, in which case... meh. That's not power creep, it's just a matter of one author actually making vehicle-scale weapons threatening to infantry, which then conflicted with the rest of the setting having no consistency at all.
>>
>>47021869

Honestly, I think it looks kindof lazy compared to the original art. Probably going to be more consistent though.
>>
>>47032117

Awesome, thanks.
>>
>>47031258
>World Book 33 - Northern Gun 1
>World Book 34 - Northern Gun 2
I haven't checked in on Rifts releases in a long time. Are these just equipment catalogues being called world books? Like the Naruni "Dimension Book".
>>
>>47021202
>Enemies:
>The Coalition States consider all
Glitter Boys enemies of the state.

Wait, what about CS: Quebec then? Are we rolling back to the whole Quebec - Chi-Town war period?
>>
>>47037699
The war between the Coalition and Quebec ended with a cease fire, not a treaty. Quebec is still considered the enemy of the Coalition, just one that the Coalition can ignore for the time being. Basically, in exchange for coming to the rescue during the Tolkeen war, all Quebec got was the Coalition going, "Okay, you can go... for now!" Which helps highlight what total shits the Coalition leadership are.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.