[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping Gods Quest #33
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 9
File: SGOP.jpg (309 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
SGOP.jpg
309 KB, 1280x800
Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping%20Gods%20Quest
Character journal: http://pastebin.com/kuwEtm6c
Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/z4MpU1Zu
https://twitter.com/MolochQM
https://ask.fm/MolochQM

Stay calm. Take a deep breath, and don't lose your cool.

Even in times such as these – especially in times like these – it's important not to lose control of the situation. Even if the situation, by all accounts, is well and truly beyond your control. With cultist soldiers attacking the palace ahead of you, and Aya's newspaper office collapsing into a pile of burning ruins behind you, it's hard to think of your next move. Harder still, when a slow and poisonous anger is beginning to boil up from deep within you.

Soldiers were the ones who did this, that was what Aya told you. Her office had been attacked by soldiers. It's possible, of course, that they were defectors from the Imperial army, deserters pledged to the Seer's cause and seeking to silence the reporter for speaking out.

Or perhaps not. Her story was wide reaching enough to make enemies on both sides of the conflict. Now, one of them has taken their revenge.
>>
File: Aya.jpg (18 KB, 254x736) Image search: [Google]
Aya.jpg
18 KB, 254x736
>>47019290

As you recount the facts – the few details that you know to be facts, at least – you slowly grow to notice the muffled sound of Aya sobbing to herself, mourning the loss of her beloved newspaper as silently as she can. It's an awkward sound to listen to, and you can't think of a single thing to say to her. This sort of thing... it was never your area of expertise.

“We tossed a coin to decide,” one final, choked sob escapes Aya as she speaks up suddenly, her voice cracked and broken, “Who would stay behind and watch the office, I mean. My old man won – he usually does – and normally he'd send me out, saying I should enjoy myself. Only... this time, he said he wanted to get a drink or two. I mean, I was happy to stay behind, so I never argued.”

And that's why she was in the office, you reply softly, alone.

“I didn't know it was gunfire I was hearing, at first,” a sad smile touches Aya's lips briefly, “I guess maybe I'm just not used to hearing it. Then I heard some shouting outside, someone yelling “this is it, this is the place” or... or something like that. I only got the chance to look out the window for a moment before the first firebomb went through the downstairs window. A moment, that's all.”

But it was enough, you press, wasn't it?

“I know uniforms when I see them, Ira,” Aya insists, regarding you with a pair of red, pained eyes, “It was dark, they wore scarves around their faces, but those were uniforms.” Then, falling silent as she looks out across the city for the first time, Aya gasps softly. “By all the gods, Ira,” she whispers, “What's going on here?”

War, you tell her simply, war has reached the capital at last. Now, you've got to figure out your next move.

>It should be safe here. Stay down while I head to the palace
>We need to find your father. Do you know where he might be?
>The city isn't safe right now. We need to get out of here
>Other
>>
>>47019295
>It should be safe here. Stay down while I head to the palace

If her father was out getting drinks he should still be there safe. I doubt cultists would attack a tavern for no reason and I don't think Takino's soldiers would either.

Give Aya our coat and hat. She should stay here, but if she needs to move our traveling gear is nondescript.
>>
>>47019295
>>47019363
this
>>
Also we might want to keep Aya's survival a secret for now, at least until she gets super protected, possibly by the Temple. We should tell her dad of course, but with the building burned down people probably think she is dead. And no one else is going to come after her if they think she is dead.
>>
>>47019295
>>It should be safe here. Stay down while I head to the palace
>>
It should be safe here, you assure Aya, in this lonesome shrine. Safe enough to give her a place to hide out while you head to the palace, at least – and that's your next move. As much as you resent it, you've got your reputation to consider. The last thing you need right now is to have your name slandered, tarred as a deserted or a coward. Just stay down for now, you add as you pull off your heavy coat and drape it across Aya's shoulders.

It fits her like a tent, and the hat you place upon her head immediately sinks down to hide her face. At a glance, she is unrecognisable – perfect. You couldn't say if her attackers know her by sight, but the extra precautions won't hurt. You rise to leave when Aya lunges forwards, catching your arm.

“My old man, he-” she begins, “I mean, if you see him...”

He was out drinking, you ask, wasn't he? This war isn't going to spill over into the taverns and back alley bars, you assure Aya, so she needn't worry about him. You wince inwardly at how that sounds – of course she'll be worrying about him, just as he would be worried about her – but she doesn't seem to notice the ill turn of phrase. Pulling your loose coat tighter around herself, she sinks down into a ragged heap, leaning back against the stone shrine wall.

“Just be careful,” she orders, her voice hollow, “Please?”

You take a long look outside, gazing at the occasional pillars of thick black smoke rising up to blight the first flourishes of dawn. Across the city, the sharp sounds of gunfire suggest countless small skirmishes, all pointing to a greater conflict – one with the palace at the centre of it all.

Careful might not be an option, you tell the young reporter, but you'll survive.

“Good enough for me, chief,” Aya whispers, the words barely reaching your ears. Casting one last glance over your shoulder at her, you head out.

[1/2]
>>
>>47019581

Memory guides you through the winding streets towards the palace, but even if that failed, you could simply cast an eye up into the sky. A ruddy red glow has spread across the clouds like a cancer, a false sunrise that speaks of great fires raging below. You feel a tight grimace of concentration touch your face as you put a fraction more haste into your pace. From here, there's no way of knowing how the battle is going, only that the fighting is still raging ahead.

When the twisted pile of scrap looms high before you, it takes you a moment to recognise it for what it truly is – or rather, what it was. Blasted apart into two ruined mounds, the palace gates offer not even the slightest resistance to any trespass or attack. Just the thought of what kind of explosive would be needed to shatter them like that... it chills you, even with the fires around you warming your skin.

This is what the Seer's monstrous science has led to. A new generation of weapons – rifles, bombs and poison gas, all used with the intent of preventing a greater war. Looking around you, you wonder how the Seer could be so blind to the hypocrisy of his actions. He has prevented nothing.

Forging ahead through the shattered gates, you reach down to pick the rifle from a dead solider, averting your eye from the blackened ruin of the man's face as you do so. Murmuring your thanks, and a short blessing, you rise and move ahead. Keep moving forwards, that's all you can do now.

Following the signs of past battles, you enter the palace and find yourself at a junction. Although splatted with blood and soot, you manage to find a gilded map of the palace engraved upon a pillar. You might know the layout, but with gunfire raging from all quarters, where are you supposed to start?

>The gardens. That's where you last saw Sho and Miura
>The treasury. The cult might be after something
>The private quarters. A good place to retreat to
>>
>>47019644
>>
>>47019644
Trusting the competency of Ishida and Sho's guards I assume they wouldn't be at the lightly defensible gardens anymore.
>>
>>47019644
>The private quarters. A good place to retreat to.

I was gonna pick the gardens, but >>47019672 raises a good point.
>>
>>47019644
there were able to steal the ring of the Faceless, they wouldn't need an attack like this for items.
>>
The gardens would be practically impossible to defend, there's no way that the Emperor's guards would have left him there once the fighting started in earnest. Ishida, as well, is too competent – too protective – to leave Miura in harms way. The private quarters, on the other hand, are a natural place to retreat to. One entrance, narrow enough to prevent any kind of massed attack. Then again, the fighting would be thick – brutal, in those confined corridors.

Whatever the attackers are after in the treasury, you think as you hear another ripple of gunfire from that direction, it'll have to wait. Gold and trinkets aren't your priority – people are. With any luck, it might just be opportunistic looters, disgruntled citizens taking advantage of the rare chance to take something back.

At least, you hope that's the case. Who knows what the palace might have hidden away within the Imperial treasury?

Gritting your teeth, you tighten your grip on the rifle and head towards the private quarters. This stretch of corridor looks familiar, you recall suddenly, from your brief visits with Ra. From what else you remember – combined with what the engraved map told you – the Emperor's private chambers should be around the next corner. With the sound of fighting reaching a fever pitch, a lunatic intensity, you charge forwards and-

The world explodes, a greasy black cloud of smoke filling the air, lit from within by a few tongues of fire. The blast – far enough ahead of you that you are unharmed - knocks you from your feet, setting your head spinning. With a shrill squeal filling your ears, you roll over and peer ahead of you. Through the murk you can see a crude barricade, manned by the Emperor's soldiers, and the reeling cultists that had been attacking it. As you slowly recover, the attackers begin to renew their assault.

>Play dead. They've not noticed you yet
>Strike them from behind
>Other
>>
>>47019779
>Strike them from behind
>>
>>47019779
>>Strike them from behind
>>
>>47019779
>Strike them from behind
which spellcards do we still have?
>>
>>47019798
All of them short of magic detection and environment living I think.
>>
>>47019804
Saint's Perseverance or Towards the Great Land, which did we use while saving Aya?
>>
>>47019798

>We have all of them, at the moment. They refresh during the quieter periods, such as when we were hiding out with Aya.

>Since we're striking from behind, could I get a 3D10, aiming to beat 60/80/90? I'll take the highest of the first three.
>>
Rolled 41 (1d100)

>>47019819
Time for as the mountain?
>>
>>47019819
wondering if we could use Guiding The Flow to instill some Fear of the Ira.
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>47019819
>>
Rolled 45 (1d100)

>>47019819
>>
Rolled 98, 26, 47 = 171 (3d100)

>>47019819
Did you mean 3d100?
>>
>>47019842

>Yes, that would be a valid use of the skill, spreading fear and panic among the enemy ranks.

>>47019831

>That would also work, giving Ira an increase to his attacking potential.
>>
>>47019865
Would As the Mountain last just for this encounter or the whole palace encounter?
>>
>>47019865
Do the fear effect first.
>>
>>47019865
Fear first, the targets we're hitting probably aren't high value yet.
>>
>>47019857

>Yes, that's what I should have said. Pretty hard to beat 60 on a D10! I apologise for the mistake, I should have asked for 3 sets of 3D100.

>>47019875

>It would last as long as we were in combat, so the whole of the palace conflict.
>>
Rolled 40, 1, 6 = 47 (3d100)

>>47019887
>3 sets of 3D100.
ohhh
>>
Rolled 37, 9, 42 = 88 (3d100)

>>47019887
fear first
>>
>98, 26, 47
>40 1, 6
>37, 9, 42
That's not good.
>>
>>47019933
We could Sublime Strike to succeed the third DC.
>>
>>47019940

>I'll allow it, yes. That means we passed two of the rolls, but failed one. Writing the next post now, regardless.
>>
>>47019899
Petra plz go
>>
>>47020030
Not even she rolls that badly anon
>>
>>47020030
No rule that says I can't roll, yes?
>>
>>47020030
Hey, you need to offer SOMETHING at their shrine!
>>
>>47020052
Yeah she rolls 94s sometimes.

But Raphael rolls a 96.

Still salty about how close I was.
>>
There's a time for subtlety, for playing it safe and lurking within the shadows. Now, with your ears still screaming with the deafening impact of the grenade, is not one of those times. Rising, you reach out with a probing impulse of magic and stir the air around the attacking cultists, sending a ripple of fear – of simple, base terror – running through them. It's no careful manipulation, more akin to hurling a brick into the calm surface of a river, but it has a potent effect regardless.

Ahead of you, the cultists assaulting the barricade falter and fall, stumbling and falling prey to the fear you stirred up within them. Their momentum is lost, and those that don't fall to the Imperial rifles turn tail and run.

The flee straight into your arms. With your sword drawn, you thrust it deep into the first man to reach you, impaling him along the length of gleaming steel. Tearing your sword out, you nearly rip the poor bastard in half and move onto the next fool to cross your path. This time, the man charges blindly into you, knocking you down and spilling you both down to the plushly carpeted floor. Somehow, it takes a terrible effort of will to throw the man off you, knocking him down and slamming your clenched fist into his throat. With the shudder of splintering bone still running up your arm, you draw your pistol and take aim at the last man to reach you.

He gets the first shot off, a harried shot that only grazes across your shoulder. In return, you force your mind to focus – why, you wonder distantly, is it so hard all of a sudden? - and press down on the trigger. The recoil seems to take away what little strength you have left, but the shot is a good one. He crumbles, folding and falling to the bloodied carpet beneath him. With the rest of the attacking cultists slain by the Imperial soldiers, the skirmish draws to an end.

[1/3]
>>
>>47020118
>In return, you force your mind to focus – why, you wonder distantly, is it so hard all of a sudden?
Magic?
>>
>>47020118

Your body is numb, aching and slow to respond, as you try to fumble your pistol back into the holster. You can't... quite seem to get it in, your hand merely flailing limply at your side. You look down, then, and realise why. The cultist that bumped into you, he must have...

Sticking out of your gut, standing straight up like a ridiculous flagpole, is the wooden handle of a hunting knife. There is less than an inch of steel visible, the rest buried deep within your body. Then, and only then, does it start to hurt – a blazing spear of agony that turns your stomach and leaves your head spinning. Compared with the knife buried in your guts, the shallow graze running along your shoulder is nothing, a distant irritation.

>Serious wound sustained. Maximum health reduced to 90.
>Current health: 70/90

As the shrieking in your ears begins to fade, the sound of heavy footfalls – muffled slightly by the soft carpet underfoot – reaches you. The world is growing fainter now, as two rough, but not unkind men, reach down to scoop you up. They might be talking amongst themselves – you hear vague references to doctors and dead men – but that might just be your imagination running away with you. It's so hard to think, to focus on anything right now.

Maybe you'll take a little rest. That's right – it's been a long day, and the rest would do you good. A few hours sleep, that's all you need...

Now, if only those damn soldiers would stop shouting about that doctor, then you might actually be able to... be able to...

Darkness.

[2/3]
>>
>>47020188
goddamnit, the one time I'm around AND remember to use a spellcard...
>>
File: OH GOD WHY.gif (498 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
OH GOD WHY.gif
498 KB, 500x282
>>47020188
>>
File: Lune.jpg (51 KB, 631x1000) Image search: [Google]
Lune.jpg
51 KB, 631x1000
>>47020188

“You got lucky, Furyo,” the voice that wakes you is a familiar one. Trying to pry your eye open for a moment, you soon give up and lie back. You don't need to see to know who you're speaking with, after all.

She's supposed to be honest, you grunt, isn't she?

“I am being honest,” Ishida replies, “You took a knife in the guts, and you're still breathing. I'd call that lucky, if I was in your shoes. That would have been a fatal wound, if you'd been out in the field. As it is, we were able to get you some help. I mean, Miura was able to help you.”

Miura, you ask as you finally crack your eye open, what does Miura have to do with it?

“The things they teach kids these days, right?” Ishida smiles faintly, “Her mother's work, I don't doubt. I wonder if your Mentor knows about it – it can't be good for business, having someone else spreading his tricks around.”

With your head still spinning, you put the impossible issue aside – a child like Miura, using healing magic on you? - and focus on sitting up straight. You're in a bland, featureless room, a wide strip of bandage tied around your torso. Ishida sits at your bedside, a sword within easy reach and a small book in her lap. A twinge of pain from your guts – not completely healed, then – forces you to lie still. Too much effort right now, and you risk hurting yourself even more. You know how these things work, after all.

“Easy, Furyo,” Ishida chides, “Do you want me to get someone for you? I mean, someone else? You should know what happened.”

>Ra, I need to speak to Ra
>Can you get Miura? I need to ask her a few questions?
>No, stay. I'd rather hear it from you
>Other
>>
>>47020259
>Ra. I need to speak to Ra.

First thing's first.
>>
How the hell did I miss the last thread
>>
>>47020259
Miura is safe? Good.
>Ra, I need to speak to Ra
>>
>>47020259
>>No, stay. I'd rather hear it from you
>>
>>47020259
>If there's any more of them still out there, I've still got some fight left in me.
>>
>>47020259
>Other
Have her grab Ra and they can both tell us what happened. I'd imagine they have different perspectives on the attack and they trust each other enough to speak openly.
>>
I want to sexually abuse your QM.
>>
>>47020259
>>No, stay. I'd rather hear it from you
>>
File: failureofahuman.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
failureofahuman.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
>>47020359
>sexually abusing Moloch
>>
>>47020445
>he doesn't know the level of raw sex his QM has been hiding from him
>>
Ra, you decide, you need to speak with Ra as soon as you can.

“Right,” Ishida nods, “I figured. He's alive and well, by the by, and I'm sure he's eager to know that you're awake. I'll fetch him, and then I'll leave you two alone, okay? You can talk about... no, I don't need to know that.”

Stay, you ask, you'd like to get her version of events as well. There's no reason for her to avoid speaking openly around Ra, is there?

“True enough,” Ishida concedes with a slight nod, “Then, I'll be back shortly. Don't try anything stupid, like getting up and running about – I know your type, Furyo. You'd rather die than take bed rest. Well, if you tear something open, you might just get your wish.”

She has such a fine way with words, you consider as you lie back and let Ishida leave. Without her here, the room seems much colder – more like a hospital room, or even a tomb. Not a comparison you want to make, considering your recent brush with death. Alone, in the quiet chamber, you lie still and allow your thoughts to unravel, wandering freely across vague and nameless topics. Perhaps you dream a little, questions surfacing there as well.

Miura shouldn't be able to do what Ishida claims. It can take an apprentice years to learn even the most simple of spell cards, years even to get to the stage of being able to learn them. True, you know little of her upbringing – there's no way of knowing what kind of influence Maab has had on the girl – but still, the issue bothers you. What if, you consider, the issue lay with the Mentor instead? Could it be that the old man's teachings were deliberately slow, forcing apprentices to learn patience and careful thought?

More questions, it seems, and few answers.

[1/2]
>>
>>47020513
Hmm, we should talk to Miura about this after we get the news.
>>
>>47020513
yeahno, I don't think Ishida specifically stated that Miura did the healing.
>>
>>47020534
>Miura was able to help you.
I think she did. The method is in question though.
>>
>>47020550
I'm thinking she manipulated the actual healer to do the healing, or that Maab herself is secretly here.
>>
>>47020532
>no new IP
>>
>>47020568
That's kind out there...

Why would she need to manipulate this healer? What healer are you talking about?
>>
>>47020589
Just report and ignore friend.
>>
>>47020599
That's just it: the secret is revealed by THE IDENTITY OF THIS HEALER, so Miura had to take the "credit" for healing to hide it!

What, loss of blood? Why would that impair my ability to think and cause paranoia and/or hallucinations?
>>
File: 1440210447764.gif (254 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
1440210447764.gif
254 KB, 256x144
>>47020638
D-do you have loss of blood anon?

That's not healthy. You should go see a doctor.
>>
File: Ra.jpg (89 KB, 495x702) Image search: [Google]
Ra.jpg
89 KB, 495x702
>>47020513

“Good to see you back among the living, Ira,” Ra says when he arrives, taking Ishida's seat by your bedside. When you last saw him, Ra had looked like a man on the brink of a meltdown, but now he has regained an element of calm, of confidence. “So,” he adds, “What can I do for you?”

Are there any more, you ask wearily, any more of them out there? You've still got a little fight left in you, after all.

“So you are suicidal,” Ishida laughs, “I wondered.”

“We've chased the last of them off,” Ra tells you, hiding a faint smile, “As of a few hours ago, the city has been declared safe. It was a bloody fight, though, and they hurt us deeply. Takino led a very successful defence – for all his sins, he is remarkably effective at crushing any and all resistance – and the Emperor was unharmed. If the purpose of the attack was to assassinate him, then it was a failure.”

The mention of Takino's name turns your stomach. That bastard doesn't deserve to have any praise set at his feet, especially if he was the one behind the attack on Aya's office. Still, you know that now is not the time for that – forcing a bland smile, you murmur a vague acknowledgement.

“I know, I know,” Ra nods, “I don't like it much, either. Takino hardly needs the encouragement. Still, the battle would have been a lot worse if Kurasu had been in charge, I dare say. Hirohito told me about what happened at the Stone of the South-West, in either case, so you won't need to make any kind of official report. He wanted to speak with you, though – but, as I understand it, you're too injured for that... right?”

Meaning, you've got some time to get your story straight. Nodding your thanks to Ra, you lie back and let the silence descend once more. It lasts a few moments before you speak again.

>Tell Hirohito that I'm ready to see him. Now, if possible
>What can you tell me about the attack?
>Miura had some hand in my recovery, didn't she?
>Other
>>
>>47020672
>Hirohito can wait. What can you tell me about the attack?
>>
>>47020672
>>What can you tell me about the attack?
>>Miura had some hand in my recovery, didn't she?
They hit the armory, what were they after?
>>
>>47020663
Ira's loss of blood.

I've only got a sore throat

>>47020672
the refugees, were they cultists or mind-controlled?
any idea on public atmosphere?
>>
>>47020672
"What did she do exactly?"
"It sounded like there was fighting at treasury before I got stabbed. You didn't lose another magical artifact that's going to give me a headache for the next month right?"
>>
>>47020672
For a successful defence, cultists got a little too close to the Emperor's quarters.
>>
Hirohito can wait, you grunt, you want to know about the attack. From both of them, you add as you spot Ishida lingering a few paces away.

“At first, we didn't know if it was an attack on the city itself,” Ra begins, “When the refugees – and I use that term loosely, considering what we now know – arrived, Takino immediately had the gates closed. He refused them entrance to the city, claiming that the sudden influx would be too difficult to manage. In retrospect, he might have been right. Still, the degree to which he enforced that ruling...”

“We took it for a riot, at first,” Ishida adds, “Desperate people trying anything to get a little safety and comfort. Then the bombs started to go off, and the gates were opened by force. That's about the last thing we know for definite right now – as you can expect, it all gets very confusing from there.”

These refugees, you ask, were they all cultists? You're certain that there was some magic at work, some force manipulating them or bending their wills.

“Our men aren't nearly so adept at recognising magic,” Ra reminds you, “So I would be cautious about placing absolute trust in their word. However, I have reports that the mass of refugee was split into three separate groups. The first group were, as far as we can tell, genuine. When the shooting started, they scattered and hid. The second group were cultists, well trained and sure of their purpose. Taking advantage of the chaos, they moved towards the palace as quickly as possible. Those were the attackers you ran into.”

And the third group, you ask as you finally heave yourself upright, what about them?

“Puppets,” Ishida curses, “They moved like puppets, the soldiers claim. They were nothing more than a distraction, something to draw attention away from the attacking cultists.”

[1/?]
>>
>>47020882

They got too close, you curse, too close to the Emperor's quarters. Too close for it to be considered a “successful defence”, at least.

“Don't let Takino hear you say that,” Ishida warns, “He's already taking the credit for this. If you listen to what he's saying, he fought off the entire attack himself. The man's full of himself, if you ask me.”

“Ishida,” Ra cautions, “Calm yourself. Ira,” he turns back to you, “You're correct, I fear. We were taken by surprise, and the cultists made the most of that advantage. We learned a very valuable lesson today, even if we had to pay for it in blood. If there is another attack, I believe we'll be prepared for it.”

There won't be, you mutter, not so soon. Not here, at least. Shaking your head, you move on. They hit elsewhere in the palace, you continue, both the treasury and the armoury. What were they after?

“They hit the armoury with one of their bombs,” Ishida informs you, “Took out just about the entire corner of the palace, and pulled most of fangs. We've got other stockpiles, of course, but the palace guard is going to be fragile until everything is back to normal.”

And the treasury, you ask, did they take anything from it? Anything, say, that might cause you untold problems further down the line? Your words cause Ra and Ishida to exchange wary looks, and you get a sinking feeling in your damaged guts.

“A large number of items were taken,” Ra explains carefully, “Coin, mostly, or other valuable goods. However, I believe that might have been an attempt to hide what they were really after. We're still trying to get an idea of what might be missing. Some of the records, you see, were deliberately damaged during the attack.”

Ishida shuffles awkwardly as Ra tells you this, a faint look of discomfort ghosting across her face.

[2/3]
>>
>>47021047

“Regardless,” Ra forces something approaching a smile onto his face, “The cultists were repelled, thanks in part to your arrival. We owe you a lot, Ira, and I deeply regret that you were injured in service to the Emperor. I'll admit, it was close at points. I wasn't sure if...”

If you'd survive. That's what he wants to say. Looking Ra in the eye, you ask him a blunt question. Miura, you ask, she had something to do with your recovery – didn't she?

Again, that furtive look passes between Ishida and Ra. This time, the bodyguard throws out a frustrated shrug. “I believe so,” Ra offers, “But I don't think I can explain what she was able to do. We had a doctor working on you – a proper, mundane doctor – but the situation was looking grim. Then, Miura took your hand and held it. Not long after that, your condition improved. It would be hasty, I feel, to put it all down to magic, but...”

“But what else would you call it?” Ishida finishes, “Whatever it was, it was a blessing from the gods. Don't question it too closely, Ira, or they might take it as a lack of gratitude.”

Fine, you sigh, you wouldn't want to offend the gods. Some days, it feels like their favour might be the only thing keeping you going. Looking back to Ra, you clear your dry throat. What's the mood like, you ask, in the city? Public opinion must have taken a blow.

“The people are angry,” Ra informs you, “The military – Takino – is taking advantage of the moment to drum up support, painting themselves as the bold defenders of the city. Right now, with the people eager to find someone to blame, we could be looking at a great many revenge attacks, ones that the public would be happy to accept.”

Damn, you curse, damn it all.

>Tell Hirohito that I'm ready to see him
>I need to leave. Can you help me slip out?
>Can you bring Miura here? I need to thank her
>I had a question for you... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>47021194
>How's Sho doing?
>Tell Hirohito that I'm ready to see him
>>
>>47021194

Situation: FUBAR
>>
>>47021194
>I had a question for you... (Write in)
"Sho doing alright?"
>>
>>47021194
>>Can you bring Miura here? I need to thank her
We can deal with Hirohito after.
>>
Staring up at the ceiling, you let out a long, slow breath. When you feel ready to face reality again, you return your eye to Ra and Ishida. How's Sho doing, you ask, was he put in any danger? It looks like Ishida is about to answer your question, but a sharp look from Ra silences her.

“The Emperor was kept perfectly safe,” Ra explains slowly, “But he has been somewhat quiet since the attack. Not upset, I don't think, but quiet. Thoughtful. Recent events may have forced him to consider the reality of the situation. Seen from up close, war becomes less of a game – and far less of a glorious thing. I only hope that I can speak with him before Takino or Hirohito use this moment to consolidate whatever hold they have over him – if, indeed, they have a hold at all.”

At least he wasn't thrilled by it all, you consider darkly, that would be just like him. Sighing again, you resign yourself to your fate. Sooner or later, you'll need to face Hirohito. Last time you saw him, you were leaving his side to rescue Aya – favouring her over the Emperor – and he looked less than happy about it. Perhaps he'll understand once you explain your motives, or perhaps he'll try to throw you in front of some farce of a tribunal. The latter, you fear, would be a terrible mistake – he has no authority over you.

Sensing the chance to put that meeting off for a few moments more, you ask about Miura. Can they bring her here, you ask, you'd like to thank her personally.

“She's resting,” Ishida replies immediately.

“Last time we saw her, she was resting,” Ra corrects her, “But she would want to hear that you're awake, I feel.”

And you'd like to thank her, you repeat, that's all.

“Fine. I'll see if she's awake,” Ishida sighs, “But whatever she did, it took nearly all of her strength. She might not be up for the stress of moving.”

“Whatever she did” - you'd like to know that as well.

[1/2]
>>
>>47021533
Not digging how fucking evasive Ra and Ishida are being about Miura and whatever was stolen from the treasury.
>>
File: Miura.jpg (155 KB, 670x1282) Image search: [Google]
Miura.jpg
155 KB, 670x1282
>>47021533

Ra leaves along with Ishida, making a vague statement about stalling for time. Something in his voice, you think, suggests that Hirohito is not in a good mood. All the more reason, then, to put this grim meeting off for as long as possible.

It isn't long before Ishida returns, hovering nervously behind Miura in case the girl is struck by a sudden fainting spell. That fear, you realise when you see how pale Miura is, is not an unrealistic one. Sighing softly, Miura wilts into the seat by your bed. “Some tea, perhaps,” she says, by way of a greeting. Ishida, bowing her head, retreats from the room. You're smart enough to know an excuse when you hear one – you've got a moment alone, then.

“You're looking well,” Miura begins.

She's got a funny definition of well, you counter, but you're certainly still alive. You've got her to thank for that, don't you?

“You're strong,” Miura shakes her head slightly, long black hair swishing delicately around her face. She looks a little older, somehow, with dark rings of fatigue painted around her eyes. If she was resting, you consider, it wasn't a very refreshing sleep. “I knew you'd be okay,” she adds a moment later. Silence falls over you, then, as you both wait for the conversation to naturally pick up. After a while, Miura fishes something out of a pocket, turning it over in her hands. A comb, it looks like, made from Imperial jade.

“The Emperor gave it to me,” the young priestess explains when she notices your gaze, “He said it belonged to his mother, once.”

And then, quite naturally, the conversation fades once more.

>I'd like to thank you, Miura, for whatever you did.
>I need to know – what did you do to me?
>So now you've met the Emperor. What did you think of him?
>Other
>>
>>47021630

>>I'd like to thank you, Miura, for whatever you did.
"But uh..."
>>I need to know – what did you do to me?
>>
>>47021630
I don't suppose gift of the soil would help her right now?

>I suppose I'm the last person to chastise anyone for rash actions...
>>
>>47021630
>>
>>47021677

>It's largely just exhaustion, so our magic wouldn't really do anything to help her.
>>
>>47021630
>I need to know – what did you do to me?

Sorry for a 'All the things' vote.
>>
So she's met the Emperor, you ask slowly, what does she think of him?

“He's a bit...” Miura pauses, some innate caution urging her to tread carefully, “Well, eager, I suppose. He wanted to impress me very badly, I think.” Looking down at her lap, she touches the comb, pressing the teeth against the pads of her fingertips. “He told a lot of bad jokes, back at the party, and I didn't understand most of them,” a faint smile touches her lips, “But he was trying his best. I suppose... I liked that about him.”

They actually like each other. Huh.

“And then, when things started to go wrong, he promised that he would protect me,” Miura's smile deepens, although there is something unusually cynical about it, “I didn't say anything, but I think the soldiers did more to help than he did. Then again, they were doing their best to protect him, so I suppose I was included by default.” Shaking her head – again, that curtain of hair flashes and dances – Miura's smile clears. “I'll be staying in the capital for a few days more,” she adds, “As a guest, here at the palace. We'll have more time to talk, without interruptions this time.”

Between her blank face and soft voice, you realise that you have no idea how she feels about that. It might be a duty that she bears stoically, or a pleasure that she is eagerly anticipating. You'd like to think that she was being honest with you – especially given her ties to Selene – but you really couldn't say for sure. Shaking off that nagging concern, you regard her with an attempt at a smile. You've got thank her, you tell her, for what she did. It might very well be that she saved your life.

“No,” Miura denies it, her eyes dropping away, “You saved yourself. Just... maybe I helped a little, that's all.”

[1/2]
>>
>>47021927

You need to know, you press, what did she do to you? When the insistent tone in your voice causes her to flinch a little, you force yourself to repeat the question in a softer voice. What, you ask quietly, did she do?

“I took your hand,” she says softly, looking away, “And I told you not to... to die. I concentrated, just as my... as the high priestess taught me, and then I asked you to keep breathing. That's all I did, you were the one who listened to my voice.”

She concentrated, you consider, just as Maab had instructed. Concentration is an important part of weaving magic, and it certainly sounds like she was describing some kind of healing ability. If she had spent her entire life training to work her will, it's possible – just possible, mind, not certain or definite – that she would be able to cast spells. It occurs to you, then, that most apprentice arrive at the Nameless Temple as damaged things, in need of nurturing and repair. Without the stresses of a troubled upbringing, would it be easier to open the mind to magic?

“I'm sorry!” Miura blurts out suddenly, dragging you out of your thoughts, “I shouldn't have done it, should I? But... I couldn't ask, and I just thought...”

What, you ask, what did she think?

“I thought you'd want to live,” she admits, “Was I wrong?”

Of course not, you reply with a shake of your head, you've got plenty of things to live for. You don't plan on dying anytime soon. No matter what else she's got on her mind, she shouldn't worry about that.

“I see,” a faint tension escapes Miura's body, her shoulders slumping slightly. Before either of you can say anything else, Ishida returns with two clay cups of tea and a grim expression.

“We should leave,” she tells Miura bluntly, “Hirohito is on his way – and quickly.”

>Thank Miura again, let her leave
>Ask some final questions (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>47022110
>>Thank Miura again, let her leave
>>
>>47022110
>Thank Miura again, let her leave
>>
>>47022110
>>Thank Miura again, let her leave
>>
File: Hirohito.jpg (99 KB, 709x1000) Image search: [Google]
Hirohito.jpg
99 KB, 709x1000
There will be plenty of time for questions later, you decide, and you'd rather not discuss this matter with the threat of Hirohito bursting in. Instead, you content yourself with thanking Miura again – a humble thanks that comes from the bottom of your heart. She accepts it with a modest smile, the smile of someone who can't quite comprehend why they're being thanked. That short exchange is all that you can manage, however, as Ishida sweeps her young charge out of the room. Alone once more, you've got just long enough to take a sip of hot, herbal tea – vile stuff, really – before the door flies upon once more.

Outside, in the richly decorated gardens, Hirohito had been a large man. Now, with his bulk seemingly crammed into this small room, he could be a giant. His face is set in a thunderous expression, but you can't tell whether the subject of his rage is you, or the world at large. Either way, you figure, it's not going to make this conversation easy.

Squeezing himself into the seat – amazing really, how many backsides have graced that one bit of furniture today – the general reaches across and takes the other cup of tea. In spite of the steam still wafting up from it, he raises it to his lips and drinks deeply. When he returns the cup to the table, it is empty. It's an empty gesture, a childish attempt at intimidation – nothing that would impress you, or encourage you to bow to his will.

Although, you are a little impressed. That tea must have been scalding hot.

“You ran,” Hirohito says simply, in a voice that is not quite an accusation, nor a statement of fact.

You came back, you counter, and look where you ended up.

“Yes,” the general frowns, “It does leave you looking like quite the hero, doesn't it?”

>What are you implying, general?
>I promised to keep someone safe. A man should keep his promises
>You don't have the authority to judge me, Hirohito
>What happens now?
>Other
>>
>>47022389
>>47022389
>>I promised to keep someone safe. A man should keep his promises
>>
>>47022389
>I promised to keep someone safe. A man should keep his promises
>>
>>47022389
>I promised to keep someone safe. Someone who was in danger because of my actions. A man should keep his promises
"And you know what? If I got there a minute later she would be dead. I don't regret a damn thing."

"The palace had it's guards, Ishida, Takino, and then you. The person I protected had only me to count on. I put my trust you and their skill and competence. It seemed I placed my trust wisely."
>>
>>47022389
>>I promised to keep someone safe. A man should keep his promises
>>
>>47022440
>I put my trust you and their skill and competence. It seemed I placed my trust wisely.

Eh lemme reword that.
"I put my trust in you and everyone else to protect the palace without me. I placed my trust wisely."
>>
>>47022440
>>47022468
Let's omit the 'placed trust wisely' part. It can sound as smartassing.
>>
Your first thought is that it left you looking more like a stuck pig than a hero, but you wisely decide to keep that opinion to yourself. Fixing your gaze upon Hirohito, you adopt the most neutral tone you can. What, you ask him politely, is he implying?

“I look at this mess,” Hirohito begins, just as politely, “And I see two people who have come out on top. Takino, for his admirable efforts in salvaging the situation, and you, who arrived at the perfect moment to make a show of force. Had you arrived earlier, you would have been locked down in heavy fighting like anyone else. As it is, you came at the perfect time to strike the winning blow. You understand, of course, how that looks?”

Perfectly, you nod – casting a deliberate look at the swath of bandages around your torso. He understands, you ask, how that injury looks?

“Like a very serious wound,” Hirohito admits, “But still, you've not given me a good reason for your delay.”

You promised to keep someone safe, you tell him quietly, someone who was in danger because of your actions. You promised to keep them safe – to try your very hardest, at least – and you weren't about to throw away that promise. A man, you declare, should keep his promises. There is a moment of silence as Hirohito considers your words – could that be a faint flicker of admiration behind those dark eyes? - and you take the opportunity to press the advantage. The palace was already guarded, you stress, while your friend had no such protection. You took a risk, placing your trust in Hirohito and everyone else to defend the palace without you.

“Oh really?” amused, Hirohito raises an eyebrow, “You placed your trust in us, did you?”

That's right, you nod, and you did so wisely.

The thought that you just indirectly complimented Takino's actions turns your stomach. Somehow, you keep a straight face.

[1/2]
>>
>>47022632

“I must say, I didn't know quite what to expect from you,” Hirohito admits eventually, “You're a hard man to read, Ira. At times, you seem cautious to the point of inaction – but I imagine your teacher has something to do with that – but at others... you're quite the man of action, aren't you?”

Different times, you reply carefully, call for different actions.

“Very true,” Hirohito bows his head slightly, “But perhaps I misjudged your actions this time. You're correct, of course – once a promise has been made, it must be upheld. That is the burden of being a civilised man. There will be talk, of course – suggestions of reluctance, exactly the kind of accusation I put to you – but I suggest you ignore such whispers. They are just one more consequence of being a man of principle.”

You've never found it difficult, you promise, to ignore what people say about you.

“Is that so?” the general says again. A moment later, and he offers you his hand to shake. “Congratulations, Ira, for winning my respect. You offered me exactly what I wanted to hear – explanations, not excuses.”

Just another damn test, you think bitterly as you take his hand, was that it?

“We've got our own business to attend to, I'm sure,” Hirohito releases your aching hand and rises, smoothing out his robes, “I can only wish you a speedy recovery – they tell me you're ready to walk, even if they don't advise it.” As he reaches out for the door, preparing to leave, Hirohito pauses.

Something's wrong, some voice in the back of your mind whispers.

“That friend of yours,” Hirohito asks, “Were you able to keep her safe?”

>I was. Just
>I was too late
>Wait a minute... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>47022737
>>I was too late
Regardless of the super red flags Ira is getting right now, we should make people think that Aya is dead. It'll keep her safer for now.
>>
>>47022737
>>Wait a minute... (Write in)
I never said my friend's gender.
>>
>>47022737
>Wait a minute... (Write in)
"I didn't say my friend was a 'she' Hirohito..."
>>
>>47022737
>>Wait a minute... (Write in)
You know already and I can only assume that you know why. Do you have a part in the events concerning her, or the knowledge of who would gain to have her silenced?

Someone better with words help me on that
>>
>>47022737
>Other
It was a man, actually. Turned out he wasn't in danger this time, so I hurried back at once.

>If we express surprise, we will confirm Hirohito's suspicions.
>>
>>47022821
Well he might not actually know she is still alive, the place burned down along with a 'body'. He might be trying to get confirmation to potentially try and kill her again.

For right now let's see what he says when we call him out a little.
>>
>>47022737
>I was too late
>Wait a minute, how did you know it was 'her'?
>>
>>47022835
You aren't going to be able to misdirect him if he already knows about Aya.
>>
By the way, did the spell protect our clothing from the fire?
>>
>>47023010

>More or less. It was a little charred and had a few small holes burned through, but it was our coat that took the worst of it.
>>
>>47023010
Pretty sure it did, else it probably would been on fire when we jumped out.
>>
You open your mouth to reply, but then you pause and go over what Hirohito's exact words had been. Were you able to keep her safe? Her.

You never said they were a woman, you reply slowly, you never mentioned either way. Hirohito freezes, his face turned away from you – hidden, perhaps, so you cannot see what kind of reaction your words brought about. Slowly, his vast bulk reminding you, absurdly, of a mountain, Hirohito turns back to you.

“I assumed,” he says, his voice monotone, “I assumed that anyone that a man considered to be more important than the Emperor would be a woman – a lover, say.” His eyes – as flat and dark as two wet stones – rest upon you as a long silence descends. “Was I wrong?” the general asks after a long and uncomfortable moment.

Assuming a mask of stoic grief – exactly the sort of thing you expect Hirohito to be looking for – you drop your gaze to the crisp white sheet bunched around your waist. You were too late, you tell him simply, risking a look up to see what expression blossoms upon his face. Nothing – no expression at all.

“Then you have my condolences,” Hirohito bows his head a fraction of an inch, “One more life lost to these barbaric cultists.” He chooses to leave, then, before you might have the chance to ask him any more difficult questions. You glare at the closed door for a moment longer before throwing the sheets to one side. You can't afford to lie around at a time like this.

Hirohito was right about one thing – you can walk, in slowly and stiffly. A lurching search of the room reveals your old clothes – the tunic ruined with blood and a long tear – and a neatly folded set of fresh ones. Just one more of Ra's precautions, you assume, in case you needed to make a quick exit.

A quick exit sounds pretty good to you, right about now.

>Find Ra, and explain the situation
>Find Aya and make sure she's okay
>Get out of here. You need to leave
>Other
>>
>>47023080

>Look for any tails, lose them
>>
>>47023080
>>
>>47023080
>Find Aya's father and under the guise of condolences tell him Aya should pretend she's dead
>Best of all she leaves the city for the Nameless Temple
>Don't look for Aya in any circumstances.
>Don't tell Ra since he could be the one who did this in the first place.
>>
>>47023080

We are 100% gonna be watched if we try to find Aya.
>>
>>47023175
I know you're being careful, but I have strong doubts Ra is in on this.

1. Ra and Hirohito/Takino do not get along very well.

2. Ra knew about the story before it was printed, he would have silenced her then.

3. Ra told us he killed the Emperor. Would he really risk our favor by killing our friend who was just smearing Takino?
>>
>>47023080
>>47023255

Oh, also. And I hate to say this. But if we run into Takino then we should thank him honestly. The dude DID do a good job even if we dislike him.

Also it was weird Hirohito was so insistent on us leaving the city. Just saying, people with the strongest emotions can be the easiest to manipulate. Something that seems to be a specialty of the Cult. We should inform the Emperor on the presence of Ra that someone is using sorcery, and that we think a magical artifact from the vault might have been their target, and that the Cult may be splitting since sorcery is double blasphemy. Then we get him to get Ra to be the liason between him and the Temple to reinforce Ra's position.
>>
>>47023354
This seems reasonable
>>
Dressing quickly – the fresh clothes fit about as well as you expected them to, which is damn near perfectly – you lurch out into the corridor and look around to get your bearings. You might be in one of the minor corridors, meaning that you're not too far from where you fought that hasty, desperate battle. Ra's quarters aren't far, either, and so you set off in what you assume to be the right direction. He needs to know about the situation – about everything.

And, well, you wouldn't turn down a drink, either. A drink would be nice.

Even so, you don't allow your paranoid theories to drown your mind completely. You keep a careful eye out for anyone who might be following you, keeping careful track of your movements. Alone in these grim, tomb-like corridors, it would be near impossible for someone to hide, and as such you spot nobody. That alone doesn't tell you anything – the real challenge will come when you leave the palace, taking to the thriving streets.

Worry about that later. Arriving at Ra's quarters, you knock firmly and listen for his voice. Wearily, he urges you to enter. When you do, however, he raises an eyebrow in surprise.

“I wasn't expecting to see you up already,” he remarks, tilting his head slightly, “I suppose I shouldn't have underestimated you.” Glancing across at his desk, Ra shuffles a few papers before looking back to you, to the tunic you wear. “Not quite your colour,” he says thoughtfully.

You look down at the shirt. Nearly the exact shade of dirt that most of your clothes tend towards. Maybe a tiny difference, but...

“No matter,” Ra shakes his head, “You spoke with Hirohito, I take it?”

That's certainly one way of putting it. Steeling yourself, you prepare to take a risk. You need to tell him something, you begin, about that reporter friend you mentioned not so long ago...

[1/2]
>>
>>47023420
Well shit we are here because of our expertise with magic and shit.
>>
>>47023495

“That would be... Aya Hinamaru, correct?” Ra watches your face closely, “Recently reported missing, after her office was destroyed in the attack. Don't look at me like that, Ira, I make it my business to know these things.”

He never mentioned it earlier, you point out, if almost looks like he was hiding it from you.

“You were recovering. I didn't want to burden you with the bad news,” Ra frowns slightly, “But, if I may be so bold, you don't seem very surprised to hear about her, ah, status.”

You're not surprised at all, you reply, because you were able to speak with her – briefly. She made an interesting claim, that the fire in her office had been started by soldiers, men wearing the Emperor's colours.

“You know as well as I do, that doesn't mean a lot these days,” Ra reminds you, “But, I will admit, that is an interesting claim to make.”

That's not the only “interesting” thing, you continue, Hirohito already seemed to know about it. You told him that you had gone searching for a friend, and he just happened to know which friend you were talking about. You don't like coincidences like that, especially when your friends are involved. The way it looks, Hirohito had some knowledge of the attempt on Aya's life, and perhaps he was the one who orchestrated it in the first place. After all, that story made the military looks quite bad – that's motive enough to shut her up.

“Very well,” Ra sighs, “I will admit, that is a very interesting series of coincidences – I would even go so far as to call them suspicious. Surely you must understand, however, that there is very little evidence that could be presented to a trial or tribunal. What, exactly, were you hoping I could do for you?”

>I wanted to keep you in the loop. We should pool our information, Ra
>There has to be some way of making Hirohito answer for this!
>So you're going to do nothing. Thanks, Ra.
>Other
>>
>>47023627
>>
>>47023627

Don't ask for help directly to not put us in the weaker position. Just let |Ra know that if he intends to dispose of Hirohito he has an ally
>>
>>47023627
If it hasnt been too long
>I wanted to keep you in the loop. I'll look for her where I last saw her and if I find her take her to the Temple.
>>
>>47023627

> Also, if you could keep an eye out for her father that would be good.

> Finally, I need to be sure the Emperor is aware of the fact that sorcery was used in the attack, and what this means for the Cult since that's double blasphemy. If building a bridge was chaining the dragon, this is stealing its life directly. Could mean a fracture in the Cult.

> Then I HAVE to get back to the temple to let people know what is going on. I want to make sure that the Emperor has access to us to advise him on the magical component of this. I want you to be the liason, the gatekeeper to his magical resource. I'm sure you know what that means politically.
>>
>>47023627
>Other
"Can I borrow Murasa? Booking passage to Garuna, then going to the Nameless Temple is much safer than the front gates and the roads for Aya. If she is still in the city of course."
>>
>>47023627
>Other
"Hey Ra, how hard would it be to subtly get out printing press equipment to the Nameless Temple?"

*Wink wink nudge nudge*
Though first things first, we gotta get Aya there alive first.
>>
>The next post may be delayed slightly, a small problem arose.
>Your patience is appreciated!
>>
>>47023798
If we get the press to Nameless, the paper should have a Mentors corner section for random or topical wisdom.
>>
>>47023850
Something from here: http://www.cincinato.org/koans/randomkoan_en.php
>>
You just wanted to keep him in the loop, you tell him evenly, you should probably pool your information. It might help later, you add, if he ever needs to reconsider his position on Hirohito.

“Knowledge, freely given, can move mountains,” Ra says, with the air of a man quoting an ancient scholar, “I appreciate it, Ira. I won't ask what you mean by “reconsider my position”, because I'm fairly sure any answer you could give would be considered treason.”

You're just one old man talking to another old man, you reply breezily, where's the harm in that?

“There's a harm in everything, these days,” any humour drops away from Ra's voice, leaving the bone dry tone of a man without hope, “If the powers that be want there to be harm. But please, we shouldn't speak of such things in polite company – not when we both know, all too well, what the situation is.”

And the situation is bad, you tell him, worse than he probably realises. Sorcery was used at the Stone of the South-West, and that is something that the Emperor needs to know about. This is something that means a great deal to the cult, an attack on the gods themselves. If they are using such forbidden magic, that might mean two things. Either the cult is broken, split off into various splinter groups, or they are getting very desperate indeed. Perhaps both. Either way, his soldiers are not prepared for sorcery.

“But you are, I take it?” Ra asks, catching your implication quickly, “And the Nameless Temple, of course.”

Exactly so, you nod, you've got the knowledge and experience to deal with sorcery. That's an advantage that the Emperor needs, if he hopes to win this war.

“And it would keep you and your people very safe indeed,” Ra taps a finger on his desk, “No matter what you might think of him, Sho has a pragmatic streak. If you are needed to quell a threat, he will be willing to cooperate – for as long as you are needed.”

[1/2]
>>
>>47024058

You expected nothing less, you tell Ra with a resigned sigh, but that's the way of the world these days. Still, you think you can make him an offer that could be of some interest. You want him to be the liaison between the palace and the Nameless Temple – all deals and exchanges of knowledge will go through him.

“That would make me a very influential man,” Ra remarks thoughtfully, “Not to say that my word doesn't already carry a certain weight, but this would be open power.”

You thought that might get his attention. Even so, you can't help but feel a little disappointed at the eagerness that creeps into Ra's eyes as he considers the potential in such a deal. Maybe he isn't even aware of it himself, but it's woken a hunger within him, an ambition that has been slumbering for a long time.

“Of course, you'd need to take this deal to the Mentor,” Ra offers, “As quickly as possible, in fact.”

Exactly so, you agree. So, how busy is Captain Murasa?

“Her schedule appears to be entirely blank,” Ra draws out a sheet of blank paper and begins to scratch out a quick letter – granting you permission, you assume, to give her orders. “She should be with her ship,” Ra adds, “And I can't imagine she would complain about a quick trip around to Garuna. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

This might be a long shot, you begin, but how difficult would it be to ship the makings of a printing press to the Nameless Temple?

“A printing press,” Ra repeats slowly, “Perhaps I shouldn't ask, but...”

There was talk of modernisation at the temple, you say quickly, printing books for the apprentices. It's a worthy goal, is it not? Ra regards you for what seems like a long time, a faint smile playing across his features. He knows, you realise, exactly what this would be used for. Then again, you weren't exactly being subtle about it...

“Give me a few hours,” he decides.

[2/3]
>>
>>47024261

With the majority of your business concluded, you prepare to wrap up the discussion. There's one other matter you needed to consult him about, though. Aya's father – does he know, yet, about his daughter?

“That would be... Tark Hinamaru, correct?” Ra plucks the name from his memory, “He was the one who reported her missing, in fact. There are a lot of reports like that – property damage, reports of looting, a number of missing people – but I had the name flagged, so I learned about soon after it was reported. Apparently, she hasn't been seen since the fire at their office and things aren't looking hopeful. In a few days, I imagine there will be an official declaration of her death – not that it will attract much attention now, with so many other deaths being announced.”

Nodding gravely, you rise to leave. Then he will be kept waiting until then, only to be given the bad news. All this, for the sake of keeping Aya safe. With a heavy heart, you bow respectfully to Ra and leave his quarters, then the palace entirely.

The streets are quiet, cold and grim. The reason for that, of course, is obvious.

>I think I'll end things here for today. Next thread on Tuesday, I assume, and I'll stick around for a while in case of any questions.
>Thanks for sticking around today!
>>
>>47024448
Thanks for running.

How long were we out?

Can Zulathoon be used in combat? It might be OP but simply touching someone and using the 'Lock them in their nightmare' function seems like a huge advantage if not an instant win.
>>
>>47024448
Thanks for running!
>>
>>47024507

Zulathoon's spell can be used in combat, yes. Other than gathering information, that was the main use I had imagined for it. Of course, the effects will vary - someone like Hirohito would be a lot less debilitated by it than some nameless soldier. Still, in a fight every little can help.

We were out most of the day. It was dawn when we reached the palace, and it's getting close to nightfall now.
>>
>>47024572
Does Hirohito suspect that Aya is still alive or were we convincing enough?
>>
>>47024755

Hirohito is the careful sort, I'd say, so he'd probably keep an eye out either way. At the moment, though, he still has his suspicions. Without seeing a body, you can never be sure!
>>
>>47024826
Anyone we know in the running for the Stone of the South West job?
>>
>>47024826
So was Miura just being modest/didn't exactly know what she was doing when said 'We did most of the work' when she healed us or was there some actual truth to that in that Ira assisted her while unconscious.
>>
>>47024926

Presently, there are no solid plans to put a permanent officer in charge. Most likely, it will come down to whoever can suck up to the Emperor the most - or whoever needs to be send away from the capital!

>>47024972

A little of both. She didn't know exactly what she was doing when she helped to heal Ira, so she gave the answer that came naturally to her, one based around modesty.
The magic she used was pretty literal, though. She "told" Ira's body not to die, and it obeyed.
>>
>>47025056
>Most likely, it will come down to whoever can suck up to the Emperor the most - or whoever needs to be send away from the capital!

What if, and hear me out here, instead of using that (retarded) criteria they advance someone that is competent. Crazy ideas here I know.

>The magic she used was pretty literal, though. She "told" Ira's body not to die, and it obeyed.
So is Miura special or something? Or was this Maab's unique teachings?
>>
>>47025056
>She "told" Ira's body not to die, and it obeyed.
>Ira-senpai! Don't die, we still need you!
>Girl I'm 118 years old there isn't much I can do...
>Please, senpai. Your grand children birthday is in a few months and they'd really like you to be there.
>The shit I put up with, I'm sure the Mentor doesn't have to deal with that shit, I earned my rest damnit.
>The Mentor can't die, and he rather enjoy being able to travel the world now that you took over the Temple.
>*grumbleletsleepingeldersleepsgrumble* Ra will be there too?
>Yes he's quite the doting grandfather.
>>
>>47025232
Wouldn't Mira be 104 at that point due to her being 16 and Ira being 30?
>>
>>47025232
Is the hidden implication in that story that Ira/Howa's kid hooks up with Miura's kid?

I mean Ra and Ira are going to the same Bday as grandfathers no?
>>
>>47025292
Something around that yeah
>>
>>47025169

Promoting someone who is competent would probably be best, but they might also be dangerous - they might get ideas above their station!
In truth, the Stone will likely be given to any officer who proves halfway successful in battle, for the time being at least. When the immediate danger has passed, it will likely be handed over to a more "political" candidate.

Miura is sort of an experiment - a child raised, more or less from birth, to be able to use magic. As such, she sees it from a more instinctual perspective compared with the studied approach that the Mentor favours.

>>47025232

Well, I don't know if Ira will live long enough to see it it works that way!
>>
>>47025318
So we made claims to Ra that the Cult may be fracturing with the use of sorcery. Were we correct on that assumption?

Or does the normal cultist not know the price of sorcery and needs to be informed?
>>
>>47025300
Does this also mean Ira's grandchild is in line to the throne?
>>
>>47025393
If we assume Miura is with Sho, then yes.
>>
>>47025379

Sorcery is pretty much lost knowledge for everyone but particularly erudite scholars. Your average cultist would just see regular magic, perhaps offered by a god. Most cultists would, in all likelihood, be horrified by the use of sorcery if they knew its true nature.

As for the cult splitting apart, I can say that it hasn't fractured yet, but there are definite cracks beginning to show.
>>
>>47025497
Honestly the best way to hurt the cult right now might be to just walk up to their hideout and have a public debate with Seer in front of all his followers.

Would that be feasible? Would he even agree to it?
>>
>>47025565

Well, Ira is still welcome at the cult enclave - although I imagine he would be greeted with a far greater degree of suspicion at this point - so he would be able to enter and throw down the gauntlet. The Seer, though, might not be so willing to take up the challenge - and I doubt he'd be willing to play fair!
>>
>>47025565
The Seer seems to have critical-thinking-disabling magic, so debates probably won't work.
>>
>>47025635
>and I doubt he'd be willing to play fair!
Which would remove a lot of his arguing power if his followers figured that out.

In that case...
>>47025649
>>47025635
We are going to need some anti-sorcery magic like we were talking about last thread if we would be able to pull this off.

We can sense sorcery. Is there a way to reveal its use to a crowd?
>>
>>47024261
Someone fucked up by using sorcery.
>>
>>47025701

In the case of magic used to influence thoughts - as opposed to control them completely - the knowledge, or even suspicion, that magic was being used can be enough to snap the victims out of it. A more definite solution would be to break the spell completely, which might be done by breaking the Seer's concentration. Magic of our own could also be used, if we had a suitable spell!
>>
>>47025781
>breaking the Seer's concentration
>Magic of our own could also be used, if we had a suitable spell!
Would casting Fist work?
>>
>>47025817

I can't really think of a more effective way to break his focus, but it might end up losing us the debate! Even so though, the sudden end to the spell would definitely inform people that "something" hadn't been right, and that alone might make the debate meaningless.
>>
>>47025897
What about shooting our gun right next to his ear every time we feel him using sorcery.

After the first time we explain to the crowd he was messing with him, since they can feel it, and that we will shoot every time he does it. Then we let Seer continue with his 'debate' in front of an increasingly suspicious crowd.
>>
>>47025957
>with him
with them*
>>
>>47025897
So we need some kind of counterspell or something that can break his focus huh?
>>
>>47026006

That's correct, yes.
I have a counterspell prepared, actually, so that option is definitely there.
>>47025957

That's a gross violation of firearms safety! That said, it would definitely be surprising, and it has a certain visceral appeal that would certainly keep the crowd interested.
>>
>>47026043
Would bringing Soma help in this hypothetical situation?
>>
>>47026102

As someone who has experienced the Seer's mental influence, and now has an outside perspective on a lot of things, it could help.
As someone who has, in the Seer's eyes, lost her faith and fallen under some corrupting influence, she could be a liability.

Taking her along would be a risk, but she might also be able to help. It's kind of a non-answer, I'm afraid, but that's the best I can do without looking too far ahead!
>>
>>47026207
So something totally got taken from the treasury but Ra and Ishida aren't telling Ira what huh?
>>
>>47026316

Something was taken, yes, but there is still a little uncertainty as to what due to the damaged records. Ra, however, has an idea what it might be - enough of an idea to keep it as much of a secret as possible!
>>
>>47026383
That sounds less magical and more political.

The Imperial Seal?
>>
>>47026428

Well, originally it was just few harmless old books, but that might make for a more interesting idea! I'll have to think on it, see what would be best for stirring up some chaos.

I'll have to close things here, in either case, and get some rest. Again, I'd like to thank everyone who stuck with me this far, especially considering recent events.
>>
>>47026595
We'll stick with you even if you're forced to move to /qst/ mang, no worries.

G'nite.
>>
>>47024261
>“Give me a few hours,” he decides.
shit, that's fast.
>>
>>47026595
> Giving the QM ideas for enemy action

What could go wrong?
>>
So let's see. So far we've given Sho the idea of a "Divine Mandate" as an alternative way to establish his mark on history, and we've opened up getting the Temple associated as an official magical trouble shooting organization at the beginning of a time when Magic, sorcery no less, is being used to assault the secular government.

Why do I see the Mentor having flashbacks. I guess we'll have to convince him it's better to try and guide its use this time rather than let people blindly go down the same path as before.

Oh, and we're reinforcing Ra as a role model to the Emperor.

I feel it's a REALLY good thing we got the Temple in order and set up Miura because it's all dovetail in nicely. Now, if we can protect Aya long enough to get her in a position where we can present her to Sho as someone who gives unbiased info and no fucks, she could seriously damage the military influence since they tried to gank her without his order. What else might the military be trying to prevent him from hearing "for his own good". Because teenage Emperors love having their authority undermined like that.
>>
>>47027988
Clearly, now that the printing press has been pushed back anyway, Aya needs to start looking into mass producing extremely graphic images of military atrocities.
>>
>>47028081
Or highlighting issues that make it look like the military is acting beyond its mandate while making Sho look good.

Something about Hirohito being away while the cultists assault the Emperor but where unable to defeat him. Downplay wossname as the commander and play it up as a failed attack on the Emperor directly.

Gosh I wish we could get a woodcut of the Emperor and Miura looking good while the Emperor stands before the cultists protecting her and maybe have Wossname fighting them. So he's still there but the focus is on Sho.
>>
>>47028540
>woodcuts
>Wossname
alright, I get what you're trying to reference

But I don't think Sho, or anyone in the military, will buy that. He's well aware of how unequipped he is at actual combat. It'd serve well for public image, but if Takino counters with his own propaganda then I think it'd just end up messier than if we had never tried.
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.