[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the best campaign you ever played in, /tg/. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Wizard Storyteller.jpg (45 KB, 430x480) Image search: [Google]
Wizard Storyteller.jpg
45 KB, 430x480
Tell me about the best campaign you ever played in, /tg/. What made it so good?
>>
>>47018453
My very first one, where I just cared about the NPCs, the world and the story. Now every single game I play is a no-fun-allowed min/maxing fest.
>>
The campaign was one I gm'd and I feel it was good for several reasons.
1) The players were responsible for the BBEG even being a threat and thus they were invested in the story. This wasn't planned, it was the result of an off-the-cuff joke from a player that I ran as serious because he waited too long to retract it. The PC death rate was actually quite high, so character motivations were a bit flimsy at times, but the players knew they were the ones that caused the problems, so they had a legitimate reason to care about solving it.
2) All of the players were perfectly willing to go along with the sessions I wrote, as well as party goals. They didn't deliberately go off-rails just for the sake of it. Even the party That Guy (who wasn't really that bad, in comparison to other examples of That Guy I've played with since) never sabotaged the story or party.
3) While they acted a bit silly and odd at times, they never explicitly acted OOC, never meta-gamed, and never had their characters act like social retards. i.e. if an npc was powerful and important, they'd treat them with respect, rather than acting as though they were some random douchebag that they could push around and insult without consequence. On the rare occasion that the party That Guy did act like a social retard, he did not complain when the powerful npc's would slap him down for it.
4) I feel as though the npc's were rather believable, and the PC's built actual relationships with them. They cared about the thirteen year-old npc bard that followed them about (prompting one to sacrifice his life so she didn't have to), they'd built a rapport with the vampire mayoress so that even when they had become powerful enough to wipe the floor with her they didn't... etc, etc.
5) It was relatively short (<20 sessions), to the point, and didn't drag.
6) I got along with the players. Even the party That Guy was a friendly, nice fellow. It was only his character I disproved of.
>>
>>47018453
I GM'd a session where all of my players had backstories that were easily intertwined in the overall storyline, and nobody except one player Min-Max'd (which incidentally just made him fit better into the storyline), along with some interesting character race/class choices that led to even more world lore being created (Only that race could use a magic class with a firearm because of their god/what they believed).

Everyone had a plot that got explored and resolved before the final battle (which Surprise: is on hold because we stopped) and everyone got a storyline upgrade/bonus which also ties into the next campaign which will be set 10/20 years after this one.
>>
>>47018453
There were no that guys.
There was a this guy.
Weekly sessions ran fairly reliably for 3 years.
There was a good balance of roleplaying and joking around and such.
I should try to get another game together with them at some point.
>>
The DM constructed the main story out of the backstories of the players. He had us build characters as a team and helped min-max those who weren't up to par. It was the best of both worlds.
>>
>>47018453
A game of Vampire: The Masquerade. Nothing much happened but then it ended at last and I got a few friends out of it.

Honestly I don't even know why I bother much with this hobby.
>>
>>47018762
>There were no that guys.
>Weekly sessions ran fairly reliably for 3 years.

Why are these two so hard to find together?

It's either a group of That Guys who can play weekly (and often suggest playing more frequently than that), or a group of good players but one of them has to work late next week, another is going on holiday after that, etc.
>>
It was my first Shadowrun game, and the DM knew how to make it feel fun and exciting. We were running from job to job, almost constantly jumping between having huge bounties on our heads and getting them cleared. He was good at making fun NPCs, fun scenarios, and bending things just a little so we might get out alive. Even most of the enemy NPCs were fun and likeable. Where most games felt like the GMs were just kind of going through the motions to try and get to a better part later, this game was fun from the ground up. We never had a boring session.
>>
>>47018656
I'm kinda curious about who the pc's were
>>
>>47021562

Seconding.
>>
File: IMG__201605122__060720.jpg (51 KB, 297x240) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201605122__060720.jpg
51 KB, 297x240
>>47018453
Been playing for almost twenty years. I have yet to finish a campaign...

I haven't made the leap online yet. Maybe I'll have better luck...
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.