[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military service and augmentations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1461180588003.jpg (115 KB, 900x1238) Image search: [Google]
1461180588003.jpg
115 KB, 900x1238
So something I've always been curious about is how a government or military would handle giving out augmentations to their soldiers who could then leave afterwards as is often the case where some characters in sci-fi/cyberpunk styled settings are ex-military and have seemingly military grade hardware in what's left of their meat bodies.

Personally, I would handle such a thing as being if you have specialized implants for whatever military role you are in you are essentially serving a life time role until you die or have to be repurposed because you can no longer act in the field.

How have you handled such things in your particular setting/games?
>>
>>47013957

They already do this. I was offered free laser eye surgery to enhance my vision, and I was given combat and weapons training which I took with me after I EAS'd.

All it would take to decommission a weaponized implant would be to disarm the weapon function. They don't let you keep your guns or combat gear, but all it would take is for you to put on some gear and grab a gun and you're combat ready again. This is what ex-military PMCs and those Marines who decided to go fight in Afghanistan on their own did.

You won't be able to "reclaim" all you've bestowed on your soldiers unless you keep them for life or kill them.
>>
>>47013957
Military should have the ability to remote shutdown augmentations and/or the augmentations should be removable after service. For example MEC troopers in XCOM Enemy Unknown. Basically super soldiers inside the suit but handicapped outside of it.
>>
You pay for it when you leave. Depending on the severity of your augmentation that could be totally fine or you could be looking at a few decades of service, because augs would certainly raise retirement ages
>>
>>47013957
>Personally, I would handle such a thing as being if you have specialized implants for whatever military role you are in you are essentially serving a life time role until you die or have to be repurposed because you can no longer act in the field.
That's totally not going to end in a military coup d'état.
>>47014409
>remote shutdown augmentations
Never gonna happen, for the same reason you can't remote shutdown nuclear ICBMs, because "if we could there's a chance the enemy could".
>>
>>47014585
>If we could there's a chance the enemy could
That never stopped the army from using incredibly unsecure networks for its shit.
>>
>>47014642
And it doesn't change the fact that the military doesn't use remote kill switches.
>>
>>47014228
That news article about two Marines retaking Fallujah was satire, broseph.
>>
I would see it plausible that most non elite operatives (crazy high mortality rate and/or unquestionable loyalty ) would recieve augmentation that is very mundane or requires an actual military structure and support to maintain.

Depending on the tech level, a fully weaponized arm would require constant maintenance or treatment to keep it functioning well. Any sort of bad hardware would hurt the user as much/more than enemies. God forbid you have a gunpowder gun arm and something goes wrong with the mechanism. You are now bleeding, burns, shrapnel the works.

I'd see a decommissioning process that many heavily augmented (but who were not heavily invested in long term usefulness by the military) soldier would willingly want to undergo.
>>
>>47013957
In the case of prosthetics, just make them modular with a universal plug/joint.
>>
>>47013957
I'd say that upon retirement or leaving the service in some other manner, the soldier would e required to go through a procedure to either shut down, lessen or remove the combat/military hardware. Reduce the strength of augmented limbs, remove internal weaponry, ect.

Its actually issues like this that makes military augmentation of the soldier a very complex problem. Things like powered exo frames and armor are much easier to deal with.
>>
>>47013957
I think the military would just try and rely on augmentations as little as possible. Because your neat nightvision eyes die with you, but taking your NV goggles from your corpse and giving them to your successor is trivial.
>>
If they could put it in to begin with, they can take it back out and replace it with a civilian-legal equivalent.
>>
>>47017237
There should definitely be a black-market in jailbreaking military augs for ex-military personnel.
>>
>>47017237
Depends. If you have a relatively universal socketing for cyberlimbs (i.e. same number and size of bigass bolts and shit, not just USB) then the military could hotswap your terminator legs for something more like contemporary prosthesis.

Then if you want to be a cyberhulk in your civilian life you have to pay for it yourself.
>>
>>47017237
>>47017896
3rd world insurgence hacking into captured military prosthesis
backdoor GPS to track down users of captured military equipment
and so on
>>
>>47014409
XCOM:EU makes it pretty clear that the MEC troopers might wear those giant suits in battle but the rest of the time they have a set of human-size artificial limbs they can use. You can see them walking around the base with them, and I'm pretty sure Shen has some dialogue about ensuring they can still do normal day to day stuff with the prosthetics.
>>
File: Counter.jpg (174 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
Counter.jpg
174 KB, 960x544
>>47015098
>Fallujah is in Afghanistan
>>
Military model while you are in. Civilian model installed on discharge. Time to go AWOL and take that sweet mil grade cyber tech with me hope I correctly disabled the tracker.
>>
>>47018377

Gps doesn't transmit you retard it's a completely passive reciever.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.