[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You ruined it, not me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Depressed.jpg (198 KB, 517x344) Image search: [Google]
Depressed.jpg
198 KB, 517x344
Long story short, but my entire group just gave up on my RPG story after over a year of playing.

>A princess-esque character was leading a war against a rival country
>Player's job was to enforce her rule in cities, scout for her, go on diplomacy missions, etc.
>"aww please anon we really like her can she please be a part of one of our sessions?"
>resounding no, but they press until I allow it. I really hate not letting the players have input on the story, I like to keep them engaged. After 3 or 4 sessions, I give in.
"Alright, the princess will join you on the next fight"
>lots of cheering, group is pumped
>cut to the fight beginning
>on of the player characters, let's call him Krenk, uses what would be the equivalent of a Daily in DND.
>basically it let's him swap places with any other player. He spends a turn to ready it, then can use it at any time.
>I forget about it, getting too focused on the battle because I like to keep my players in the heat
>fast forward
>players are fighting a massive demon now, everyone is at about 4HP, essentially 1 hit would kill anyone
"Krenk, you lost the roll. The demon's hammer swings down and obliterates you. Your body crumples beneath the concentrated weight. The sound of crunching bones would have filled the air had the shock wave from the hammer being swung not been louder. Blood splatters across all the walls and your fellow members. Everyone, resistance roll plus intelligence modifier to see if you're stunned."
>group begins to pick up some dice when
>"uhh, instead, I swap places with, with the uh, the princess."

(1/2)
>>
>entire group goes silent
"The... Princess dies..."
>players slowly realize what just happened to the story and all the progress they've made
>players get rather upset because they worked hard for the princess and feel like everything they've done has gone to waste
"Wait, no, she doesn't need to be in the story. I can work without her."
>"Yeah, we know you can. We just really don't feel like doing this campaign without the princess."
"What if we restart this fight without the princess in it so she can live?"
>"No,she already died, it happened."
"So you don't want to go back to when she was alive and prevent her death, and you don't want to continue without her?"
>"Basically."

The ruined the game for themselves and wouldn't let me fix it. Its been probably over a year and a half. At least 77 sessions, 3-4 hours a piece, now in the trash. Not sure how to take this, guys.
>>
>>47013262
Why not just make a quest to ressurect her? Or the group could try to save her from the not!greekunderworld.
>>
>>47013291
They don't want anything. They refuse to continue playing the story. They don't want to resurrect her, heal her, take her to a shaman to get her spirit, I've thrown multiple things on the table, they simply said they don't want to play that anymore. They're fine if we start over with an entire new campaign, theyre just too crushed by her dying in the first place from what I'm gathering. It's their only complaint, and they've liked the story up until that point.
>>
>>47013262
why is no one upset at the retard that killed the only character anyone cared about? why didn't you say she had a royal amulet that protected her from the swap, or ask him ooc if he really wanted to do it, or make a fiat so she doesn't die if she's so central to the story? There are easy basic ways out of this predicament before it happened but you chose not to make them.
>>
>>47013291
Also, for royalty, you would think she would have some kind of magical item to prevent this kind of stuff.
>>
>>47013328
Well my guess then it's time to play a diferent campaing. Or just find a new group.
>>
>>47013229
Easily avoidable situation OP, and if it was only their problem you wouldn't be carrying this much salt.
>>
>>47013337
Because I didn't think it mattered at the time. Sure, the character was plot vital, but I honestly thought I could continue without her existing. I didn't think they'd react the way they did. I didn't need a way out of the situation.
>>
>>47013328
it's stories like these that make me feel like I would be that guy if I ever actually got a chance to rp, I literally cannot understand your player's mindsets, it's a character in a story, I get that them dying sucks because you like them but bringing it to a grinding halt is just stupid
>>
>>47013373
I'm just pissed that they won't continue. I don't need her in the story for it to keep going. It's just my players that are pissed and they won't take any reasonable work around to continue playing.
>>
You have had no issues up to now?
>>
>>47013375
I can see that from your point of view, also your players sound like a bunch of waifu faggots so I hate to break it to you but it's time to find a new group
>>
>>47013411
No issues at all up until this point.
>>
>>47013262
Sometimes players do not want a redo at the same time as not getting what they want.

Played in a game years ago where everything fell in around us and all our character got killed in a political assassination. We had 3 years in the game and the dm wanted to use time after a break where someone ran a one shop to prepare something.

He came back really pleased and said he wanted to pick up with our character crawling out of the grave in a cemetery after a force brought us back to life and we refused to play the new campaign. We felt robbed from us working for years just to hit a reset, even after a cheap death(assassin poison darted us, no save then slit our throats). We loved the character but the damage had been done.
>>
>>47013229
>>47013262
This is why you don't game with waifufags.
>>
>>47013397
start them at level 1 in the same universe and just have them resurrect her without telling them the plot before hand, then continue the story
>>
>>47013375
Well you done goffed mate. This is also starting to sound like bait. How can you not know your group enough, to know they're mood and attitude toward situations. You were playing for about a year. Right?
>>
>>47013397
It's a marketing question anon, you need to sell your fish, if the players were attached to the character it makes little sense to end her in such a meaningless way.

Yes, the RP could continue without her, but why should it? Clearly the players care little about the world they are in if only one character is what keep them in the game.
>>
>>47013430
This is a bit different to that though
>>
>>47013427
I think your players may have been taking the easy way out of your campaign instead of outright telling you they were tired of it.

Just because YOU have heard no problems does not mean your players have not had any.
>>
Maybe they just feel like somthing new and this is a good excuse to use rather than just say the former?
>>
File: Dead Drunk (2).jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Dead Drunk (2).jpg
37 KB, 480x360
>>47013375
>Sure, the character was plot vital, but I honestly thought I could continue without her existing.

Yeah, that's what happens when you take beloved plot-vital characters and roll dice to see if they die. I more frequently see campaigns die over plot-vital PCs, since my DMs generally plan for their NPCs getting killed one way or the other.
>>
>>47013229
>one of the player characters, let's call him Krenk, uses what would be the equivalent of a Daily in DND.
>basically it let's him swap places with any other player. He spends a turn to ready it, then
can use it at any time.
The princess wasn't a player. Tell that to the group and tell them that Krenk is dead.

If you typoed and meant character, tell his dumb ass and the party that he could have swapped with the demon. And be angry at him for being a moron.
>>
>>47013758
I think it easier to guess that Krenk and a few other players were done with a game lasting 77 sessions and did not have a decent way to tell OP.
>>
File: concede.jpg (18 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
concede.jpg
18 KB, 300x375
>players made a decision that resulted in the failure of their objective
>they were so emotionally invested into this objective and your game that they are literally too heartbroken to continue the game

I'm not seeing the problem here. Why do you consider this a "ruined" game?
>>
>>47013912

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a ruined game, so much as an ended game. GM-handwaving the consequences of their action would *really* undermine all they'd accomplished in the last year and a half.

Maybe they're just getting a bit bored with their characters, and want a re-roll?
>>
>>47013397

I don't see what they're pissed about. It sounds mostly like you're pissed about what happened.

Frankly, it sounds like you need the game more than your players, which is a dangerous place to be for a GM. Let someone else GM for a while.
>>
>>47013229
>be me
>my pc is Krenk
>playing with a decent party
>GM is a pretty cool guy with great ideas
>he makes this cool campaign about a princess and a problematic kingdom
>it was great but GM kept on keeping the campaign for a year or more
>me and other PCs get bored of being just servants
>make the decision with other PCs to end the campaign w/o hurting GMs feelings
>we made the painful decision to kill the princess
>we ask GM if we could bring princess to quest
>he agreed
>he makes this epic cliffhanger encounter with demon
>make fake rolls so we lose
>swap with princess when I'm about to die
>I feel bad for GM, he's tring to keep the campaign going even though we killed the princess, we all feel bad for GM but we have to do it.
>tell him that were fine with a brand new campaign
>he is clearly saddened by this campaigns end
>sorry OP
>>
>>47013262
The players reached a conclusion that they are satisfied, though not happy, with.

It might not be what you envisioned as the end to your story, but it's the end to their story, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
>>
File: IMAX.jpg (59 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
IMAX.jpg
59 KB, 250x250
>>47013229
>it's not me it's you

That's some fucking Imax-tier projection right there, faggot.

IRL, players are in charge of their PCs' actions and the GM is in charge of deciding how those actions affect his world. So the players didn't derail the plot, didn't arrange an encounter with a TPK-capable BB, didn't let the pace falter, didn't let the campaign unravel, didn't give themselves a permanent get-out-of-stupid-free daily and, I'm pretty sure, didn't beg OP to RP his fuckawesome self-insert NPC because they all did LOVE her character development so.

But, OP reluctantly agreed to "be the little girl" because their pitiful begging is becoming a little embarrassing - and then (oh noes!) surprise bad stuff happens? To the GMPC? This is your story?

Stahp.
>>
>>47013229
>on my RPG story
>my
>story
This is where you went wrong.
>>
>>47013229
How is an ability like that not "Willing Ally" instead of "Any Ally?" I can't think of any game that wouldn't put that caveat in there, especially with the asshattery that tends to go on.

Smells of fake, but really, you did it to yourself if you gave the player an ability to teleport other party members under a bus, it'd have lead to butthurt eventually.
>>
>>47016605
I like how, no matter the circumstances, at least 50% of /tg/ will always blame the GM.
>>
>>47013229
Anon, you know what you must do. Write a final epilogue, it's the only way to please them. The campaign is over, it's been lost and they don't want to retry. But you can make the ending more satisfying than 'princess gets squashed, roll credits'.
>>
>>47013229

Bad end games are sometimes appropriate endings. All stories must end sometime, and a game that lasts a year is pretty good, honestly.

Take a few weeks to recharge and relax, and then start the slate anew. Sooner than you think the excitement of a new world with infinite possibilities will get brainstorming going, and the players who have been limited to one role know have a chance to play something totally different and new.
>>
The whole thing sounds like it was a wreck to begin with.
Shame it took them a whole year to tell you that
>>
>>47013229
It's fine dude. Just roll up a new campaign if you like playing with them, or find a new group. Just a game. You had fun for that year and a half, and then the make-pretend game ended, so find a new make-pretend that you like.
>>
>>47013328
They just don't want to play anymore and are using her death as an excuse. They probably weren't as invested as you're thinking they were. Krenk even doing what he did doesn't maske sense if they loved the character so much
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.