[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I CANNOT NAME TOWNS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 960x720
Can /tg/ help me name towns? This world doesn't have magic or elves in it, I wrote notes about the towns down. BLACK PEN IS COAST, BLUE IS RIVERS.
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 960x720
The names are supposed to be English, but further north can be Scandinavian.
>>
>>47007442

Usually if we have zero ideas and we're playing Generic Fantasy TM we use local names and "translate" them into english (possibly not using the most direct translation, so to speak, to have something unusual).
But I guess oddly enough this shortcut isn't avaible to native english players.

Can you tell us something more about the world OP?
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 960x720
Better lighting
>>
>>47007442
>word describing what the town does
>word describing where the town is
ex. Smelterhills, Serpentbay
>>
>>47007574
Well, it resembles medieval Europe, but it's separated by a giant mountain range and desert in the middle. The other side is going to have a lot more different cultured names, but the story's about the adventurers crossing straight through. It's 3 kingdoms, a Scandinavian-modelled one in the north and 2 English ones in the centre and South. The southern one is more focused on trade.
>>
>>47007481
Are you English? If not, take literally every name from England.

The Scandinavian ones can come from there too, so long as you take areas that were occupied by the Vikings and roll back the name, so York becomes Yorvik again.
>>
>>47007645
Gambledesert
>>
File: World750.jpg (198 KB, 750x584) Image search: [Google]
World750.jpg
198 KB, 750x584
>>47007442
>Can /tg/ help me name towns?

Towns are usually named after one of three things:

1. An important feature of the landscape that everyone recognizes

2. An important person who founded or was influential in the founding of the town

3. An important event that occurred on or near the site where the town was built
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 960x720
>>47007752
Yorvik sounds kind of nice, actually. River Coast Trading City is now Yorvik/York. Also, here's the borders. And I am English, so...
>>
>>47007651

I'll assume the map has north on top and the sun/moon/whatever rise from the east.

Well, firstly those bigass mountains. They seem pretty important for your cultures.

The Titans. Not the Titan Moutains: just the Titans.

Or: Suncradle. The Wall

Or something phonetically that speaks of heights, wind and ice, but its a matter of tastes. Maybe The Gophets.

The Sea: I guess The Twilight Sea/Sunbed Sea or something is too cheap? It's worth noting that actually people that know ONE bigass sea just call it THE Ocean or The Sea.

If not... well, what kinda sea is? Something unforgiving like the north atlantic? How about Sea of Ends?
>>
Add Faggot Mountain, and it's ubiquitous king.
>>
File: map.jpg (322 KB, 1280x642) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
322 KB, 1280x642
I know there's a full world map somewhere but I can't find it.
>>
>>47007871

I have it!

... on paper.
>>
>>47007645
>>47007772
>>47007805
Optional: Warp them for added authenticity. Goodtown becomes Geddun, Baylake becomes Baelic, This Was A Horrible Idea My God There's Corpses Everywhere becomes Thissis'Hurdogadta'Koewe.
>>
>>47007833
Added a little castle. Also, the moon rises in the west, making for some weird orbital patterns. Like, moon during half day-half night rotating everywhere weird.
>>
File: literal english places.jpg (229 KB, 1000x780) Image search: [Google]
literal english places.jpg
229 KB, 1000x780
>>
>>47007833
Here's what I called it. Also, I think I want to cal the mountains Sunguard, or something like that.
>>
>>47007907

Mooncradle Sea, so?

I can't read what is immediatly north of Trade City.
>>
>>47007871

All those translations, and Oman is just Oman.
>>
>>47007807
If you're English, take everything from Canada.

>Lake Town: Loon Straights, Thunder Bay
>Coast City: Surrey, Richmond, Missasauga
>Peninsula Town: St. Catherine, Wellington
>Fishing Town: Yarmouth, Dartmouth, Winter Harbour
>River City: Kingston, Ottawa, Sarnia
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 960x720
>>47007833
WHY AM I NOT POSTING THE MAP
>>
File: NoramericaMap.jpg (3 MB, 1600x2009) Image search: [Google]
NoramericaMap.jpg
3 MB, 1600x2009
>>47007902

Reminds me of this.
>>
>>47007971
Boy ??? Fisshing Town?

Sunguard isn't bad.
>>
>>47008053
Those are the temporary names, and it's
Bay Coast Fishing City (until I find a name) and
River Coast Trade City.
>>
You know, for the mountains I think God's Towers fits perfectly.
>>
>>47007895
Post using cam pl0x
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 960x720
As it is now
>>
File: snickers.jpg (5 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
snickers.jpg
5 KB, 126x126
>>47007805
>sibling love
>>
>>47008086

Personally I'd call it the town Kingsport just because HPL is HPL, but if not...

Town: Riven Cove, seems to be on a small plain between cliffs
(I was tempted to suggest Candle Cove actually, not sure if anyone gets it)
The river: Leeom (lyo means to dissolve in greek, it sound "water running" enough to me)
The city: Swampbridge, Reed City, Floatstones (Bogstone is a little too much)
The bay: if you want to be on the adventure/monster theme, maybe Scylla Bay (I was thinknig of some kraken-like myths but honestly Hafgafua sounds silly). If not... hrm, it's a whale bay, I'd suppose is full of krill and fishsing goods? Harvest Bay? Red Bay (red by crustaceans)?
>>
>>47008205

Now my cam is for shit man. I'm pretty sure I've seen it posted here though.

>>47008360

Helsinki is Barnacle Goose, and Sapporo something like "Banknote Pavillion".
>>
>>47007481
>The names are supposed to be English, but further north can be Scandinavian.

in which case, use scandinavian-norse roots.

-ness = cape, headland
-vik = cove, creek
- thorpe,, = village or farmstead.
-by, -stoke/stock, -wich, -ton, -ham = Town
-dalr = Valley
-brekkr = Stream

So, use your placenames. and character's or people's names, or descriptions of the place.

White Headland? Whitness
Farm where the Ravens roost? Ravensthorpe.
Northern Town? Norby.
Kings' fort and town? Kingstoke.
Valley where the old Oaks grow? Oakdale.
Njal's stream? Nellsbrook.
the old vilalge? Oldthorpe.
>>
File: speculative_map.jpg (5 MB, 4642x4642) Image search: [Google]
speculative_map.jpg
5 MB, 4642x4642
In the meantime, you know who in the end I think has something for village/towns names?
>>
File: dreammap-olderversion.jpg (2 MB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
dreammap-olderversion.jpg
2 MB, 1440x960
How's it going OP?
>>
>>47009160
Pretty good, worked on the East a bit and took a break, but I'm back
>>
>>47007645
This is always good. It helps flavor the town so people know what it's good for without having to play 20 questions with you.

>Nearrock
>Yellowplains
>Swordmill
>Tedshouse on-the-Sea
>>
>>47008086
What's the city's history? Make the name based on that.

For example:
>Pommy Breach is the name of the River city after the city's original founder, Captain Pomar Blackwood, attempted to sail the then treacherous narrows in a ship his crew had warned was too small for the vessel he was using. Rather than taking their advice, Captain Pomar sailed on through, intent on laying claim to whispered riches that were rumored to lay further inland. Of course, his ships crashed upon the shoals, stranding himself, and the crews that followed. Either to keep the crew from killing him, or to atone for his mistakes, Captain Pomar organized the survivors to salvage the ruined ships and built the first shanty town. It still didn't help his reputation as his nickname 'Pommy' had become synonymous with stubbornness and stupidity.

>The town however would thrive as its location made the perfect port for merchant vessels and other ships looking for port. Eventually enough money flowed into the town's treasury to open up the river, and made it safer for other ships to move upstream, and to renovate the flimsy wooden huts into more solid stone buildings. Pomar's Landing was no more, and Pommy Breach was born.
>>
>>47009503

Well, I'll be there for an hour or so, if you want suggestion I'll oblige.

>though I don't have any idea about WHAT is in the east of course
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 960x720
>>47009729
Have fun naming the countries
>at this point I'm just obliging /tg/s advice
>>
>>47009725

Me likes
>>
>>47009797

How about some general info about the countries? Is that supposed to be, i dunno, Totally Not China?
>>
>>47009836
Some info would be great. History, resources available, and placement can also contribute to their name
>>
>>47009836
It's actually totally not HRE in the northeast and notRussia in the southeast.
>>
Right now I'm working on the country's backstories.
>>
I named my Animal Crossing town, Pooptown

Hope that helps
>>
>>47010143

First idea for HRE 2 is to take the names of the children (and grandchildren of so forth) of one emperore and name smaller countries that stand were the great empire was for them. Like Lotharingia and all that shit.
>>
>>47007442
Hang on, I think I have a site for that.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fantasy+name+generator
>>
>>47010210
Well it also depends on what culture the country is based on. If it's typical western-y world that might work, but if it's !Asia then you can go into a bunch of other directions for names.
>>
>>47010143
this is the part you should have done first
>>
File: 1317686226686.jpg (113 KB, 736x480) Image search: [Google]
1317686226686.jpg
113 KB, 736x480
Here OP:
http://donjon.bin.sh/
>>
>>47010249

Seems like it' gonna be Charlemagne and all that shit. Plus Russia.
>>
>>47010338
Yep. Plus England and Ńorŵåŷ too.
>>
>>47007574
>Usually if we have zero ideas and we're playing Generic Fantasy TM we use local names and "translate" them into english (possibly not using the most direct translation, so to speak, to have something unusual).
>But I guess oddly enough this shortcut isn't avaible to native english players.
This is basically it. Take all the placenames around you and translate them. Eg Kirkwood->Church Forest. Some towns are named after famous people, so do that too. City of Decatur->Town of Decius.
>>
Here's the info so far, I'm gonna literature for a small bit.

North to South country info

Scandinavian Eastern Countries
>Hialfibekkr: Founded by Modi Eingellson in the late 1660s, Hialfibekkr is the northernmost frontier of the Union.
To the south of Hialfibekkr
>Arngrinsetr: Historically inhabited by the Nordmen, Arngrinsetr is a peaceful, small country, like most of the Union
To the southeast of Arngrinsetr
>Republic of Bodibekkr: This rich Merchant Republic contains the wealthy city of Kingsport, and although remaining independent of the Union, it is one of the most prosperous countries today.
To the west of Bodibekkr
>Duchy of Harebekkr: this small nation is also of Nordmen descent, as much of the Union is. Not much else is noteworthy.
To the south of Harebekkr
>Duchy of Hakibyr: This country has a complicated history, with it being in a Personal Union with Harebekkr occasionally.
To the east of Hakibyr
>Karitoft: This small country is just one example of people becoming so influential they create a kingdom. Karitoft is notable for being a very wealthy country, whilst also being very small.
>>
>>47008590
That's neat. Do you know what the Reykja in Reykjavik mean?
>>
>>47007805
>Seattle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNHPPT3NTN8
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.