[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag want into traditional games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1457042168247.jpg (7 KB, 250x185) Image search: [Google]
1457042168247.jpg
7 KB, 250x185
/TG/ I need your help.
I really want to get into paper RPGs, but I'm just too green and lost.

I tried to find group, but my town is too small, so not chance to find group. I want to find some small group on net, but I have problem - where I should start.

Any tips will be good at first. Pic not related.
>>
>>47003146
/tg/ groupfinder threads, Roll20 and the dozens of other /tg/ related sites around with forums.

Pick something easy like D&D or PF. Find out what kind of storylines, characters and action you like, then lurk in PDF sharing and complaint threads to learn the ins and outs of various systems.

Once you have a fair idea, grab the rulebooks you want and update your gamefinder, r20 and forum posts to reflect the systems you now know and want to try out.
>>
>>47003146
>>46990420
>>
>>47003146
For finding people to play with theres a finder thread right now >>46990420

But theres also what you want to play etc
>>
>>47003146
Try running a quest on /tg/ to get a feel for how to handle the random shit players will do. It's also a good way to see how people run various systems from BQs 3d10 dice pool, to roll under 1d100, Exalted Quests dice pool system, or Khornette Quest' straight importation or Black Crusade rules.

It's especially good to learn how to GM, like how learning standard on a broken car makes it easier to drive everything else.
>>
Do you have three or more friends potentially open to this kind of shit? Then you're set to go.

Get the starter box of your choice, start with a relatively simple adventure, learn from there.
>>
>>47003374
Nope, that is main problem. My fellas rather don't like traditional games.
>>
>>47003146
First
>/TG/
Stop that

Secondly
>I want to find group
Gamefinder thread and roll20 as others have suggested, also check google to see if your town has any local gaming stores, as those might have store-run groups. Next, if finding a group is your biggest priority, you'll probably want to start out with D&D 5e, which is the most popular right now. You'll just need the Player's Handbook to get started, which can be bought at any game store or Amazon (or found in the /5eg/ Mega trove found in the OP of the /5eg/ thread if you want to check it out before you pay)

Lastly
>Any tips
Get some physical dice, it feels better to roll than an app
Make sure that when you do find a group that you're open to discussion and suggestions, don't be a stubborn or asocial asshole
TALK TO YOUR GROUP IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM
And of course, always be familiar with the rules associated with your character. Don't be a dick who has to look that shit up every round.

>>47003336
>Try running a quest on /qst/
Fixed that for you
>>
>>47003227
>Sabotaging the hobby
Yeah thanks.

>>47003146
Ryuutama is a really great first RPG OP.
>>
>>47003146
Roll20 is the answer. Don't play D&D. It will permanently damage your brain, I'm warning you now, seriously. You will be considered damaged goods from that point on.
>>
>>47003523
>playing online is sabotaging the hobby
Must be nice living somewhere you can play with people in person.
>>
>>47003523
>I can't find a group, wat do?
>>Disregard all of the most common RPGs and play Weebmerchant Fringefest 2000, OP!
Nice.

>>47003601
>don't play the most common RPG because I don't like it
Also nice.

OP, just remember that this hobby is all about having fun. Do whatever it is that you find fun, and disregard everybody else, especially when those people are on /tg/.
>>
>>47003651
No anon I play online.

>Pick something easy like D&D or PF.
This is both sabotage and a straight up lie.
>>
>>47003477
/tg/ - fucking phone autocorrection. Sorry bout that heresy.
>>
Do you have a circle of froends you might be able to convince to give it a shot? There may not be an existing group but as long as you get one or two of your friends to join you you can make a group. Also this way you don't end up with random assholes. You may have to gm to make it work, but that isn't that hard. If you choose to go this route thwre is this really helpful YouTube channel about starting out as a gm, which I will link to in next post as soon as I get to my laptop.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.