[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever felt that being GM has made you more attractive,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
Have you ever felt that being GM has made you more attractive, or at the very least more confident?
>>
your funny
>>
>>46996892
It didn't make me more attractive or confident. It made me realize I was a leader, though... sort of. I was doing it for years before a girl in the group (who is currently married to another player) pointed out how things just didn't seem to happen without my presence or approval. Like, if we were planning to see a movie, I would be the one to pick the theater and time.

We're all older adults now (the group has been playing together since we were kids in 1986) so that's not hardly the case any more. Getting married, having kids.. if you're still following at that point, turn in your man card.
>>
>>46996892
More confident, yes, but not really in general, just in similar types of social situations.
>>
>>46996892
Only in the isolated bubble of the table, in real life I'm still a mouse
>>
>>46997507
>similar types of social situations
like what?
>>
No. Even relative to my hideous friends I'm basically a shaved pig.
>>
What's a good system for a Simpsons or Simpsons-like campaign?

"Animated sitcom" seems like a genre the story game crowd should get in on, if they haven't already.
>>
>>46999885
have you seen Futurama: Now With Dice?
>>
>>46999904
>Futurama: Now With Dice is an adaptation of the TOON rule system from Steve Jackson Games.

Oh shit, I forgot all about that system.

I'll check this out, thanks!
>>
File: Max Payne 4th Wall.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Max Payne 4th Wall.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
>>46996892
Cofindence I give you, but attractive? That is quite a construction. But let's look at it...

The biggest part of GMing is managing a group. This is obvious at con games where you don't know the players. But it still holds with old groups that have been playing together for years. And to manage a group you don't just need social skills, you need to be able to focus attention and bring everyone into the game.

This can be daunting. Thankfully even badly managed games can still be fun. So just go for it and learn from your mistakes.

There are countless ways to GM. You can autistically control adherence to the rules, you can take a flight of fancy and show everyone what you were writing all this time, you can make it competitive and let the dice decide, or you can just drone on aimlessly and hope a player develops an interest so you can play off of it. Each has to be managed differently. And there's some overlap and also some diversity in what you can learn from such games.

GMing is stressful, there's a lot of attention on you and people expect you to deliver. It brings out your instincts and having a handle on those is helpful in any stressful situation, game related or not.

Playing is testing out behaviors. Animals play. Playing is learning. As such it always makes the players more reflected and more aware of their assumptions and, in a social game, their communication strategies.

The OP reeks of desperation. But there's some truth to its assumption. Only not as directly as implied.
>>
>>46999885
Primetime Adventures
>>
My only time as a GM was one plagued with a lack of understanding, worry, and misfortune. I still look on it with shame, and since the friends I played with have moved away I cannot repent.

But other people GMing, I've noticed, tend to be fairly confident and easy to talk to even outside of the table, even on occasions where I bumble my words. I wouldn't necessarily call them attractive, but one had a pretty nice-looking gf, so I guess all that time around the table made them more charming.

As a player, sometimes I do get through life thinking 'what would my first paladin character do.' He speaks more slowly and evenly than I do when I get excited, he's laid back, and he's not afraid to interact with people.
>>
File: Nat 20 Intimidate.jpg (93 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
Nat 20 Intimidate.jpg
93 KB, 600x510
>>46996892
Sure. GMing can do a lot to build confidence. Confidence is attractive to a lot of people. So yes, you could argue that it made me more attractive.

Honestly it promotes a lot of really important life skills: planning, coordinating group activities, public speaking, projecting your voice, basic arithmetic, lying convincingly...

I think the most important thing it teaches a good GM is that authority granted is not necessarily authority earned. You've got to have both if you really want to lead.
>>
More bitter and exasperated, yes.
>>
>>46999762
Dragon slaying, speleology, trash sorting, that kind of stuff.
>>
>>47001018
know that feel
>>
File: Futurama rpg.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Futurama rpg.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46999936
>>46999904
>>
File: north korean reaction image.png (217 KB, 267x315) Image search: [Google]
north korean reaction image.png
217 KB, 267x315
>>47003392
>Hermes is white
>>
File: 1421556535468.jpg (5 KB, 255x254) Image search: [Google]
1421556535468.jpg
5 KB, 255x254
>>47003392
>one million years
>>
>>47003757
not white, just very light-skinned
>>
>>47000021
this
>>
File: 1455339863261.jpg (159 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1455339863261.jpg
159 KB, 1024x576
There was a weird period in my life 4 years ago where I had two girls in my group, both competing for my attention. A loud, obnoxious, special snowflake fat girl that played an elf ranger; and an almost mute, almost anorexic girl with huge bags under her eyes and every issue under the sun that played a halforc barbarian.

I chose skinny girl, she moved in a couple years ago, we're expecting our first child. Still refuses to get married tho
>>
>>46996892
>more confident
yes
>more attractive
nothing about any of this shit except the money you spend on it can make you appear attractive.
>>
>>46999885
My campaigns are already basically animated sitcoms, except the situation is murderhobos.

So I guess kinda like Archer or Moonbeam City.
>>
>>47000021
IT'S PAYNE
>>
>>46999885
Myfarog.
>>
>>47003757
There's nothing wrong with being white
>>
>>46996892
it made me realize , if i take others by the hand , they give up on their brain functions

i was some kind of babysitter by the middle of our first sessions , with people around my age
>>
so there was one time when me and this girl were doing the dating thing and an old buddy of mine rolled into town (he'd moved to Helsinki).

he was probably my favorite GM, so when he asked some of us to play a game of Call of Cthulhu he was working on, we were very excited. eventually we all showed up at the place he was housesitting with booze and dice only to have him say, at the last minute, "eh, i don't feel like it".

well i didn't like that one bit, so i told everybody to grab some paper and that i'd GM. i invented the system and the story on the spot, and we had a great afernoon drinking wine and detailed the actions of the Great Adventure Society as they attempted to keep Dr. Simian and his legion of super-apes from stealing the magic diamond of Kandar or something (some ideas shamelessly stolen from /tg/, obviously.)

pretty much everybody there was impressed that i pulled it out of my ass like that, and my buddy said so out loud. his wife got to roleplay for the first time that night, and my girlfriend showed her appreciation after we got home.

then again, there was the other time years before that when i was attempting to chat up a girl i had a crush on and she invited me to a halloween party, and i had a game that night, and i as soon as i uttered the words "my dungeonmaster..." she started laughing and i think probably never stopped. so it definitely can be the cock blocker it's famous for being.
>>
File: 1455232198057.jpg (62 KB, 442x351) Image search: [Google]
1455232198057.jpg
62 KB, 442x351
>I'm a freshman in college, shy and ronery
>running late to class, gotta get breakfast fast
>dining hall is PACKED
>panic, literally every table has people
>sit at one, ask if it's OK because I don't want to interrupt anything
>the people sitting there are all really friendly
>eat quickly, go to leave
>"Hey, Anon, you seem pretty cool, wanna hang out with us later today?"
>accept, exchange numbers, somebody adds me to a group chat
>+4 friend count all at once
>they're all kinda nerdy, a few anime fans, most play MOBAs
>hang out together that evening and play some bullshit card games until that gets boring (quickly)
>hang out in one of the lounges and play pool until that gets boring too
>one guy brings up D&D, he played in a campaign once for a few months
>I played it all through high school, multiple systems & campaigns etc.
>"I've never DMed before, but if you guys want to try playing..."
>I'm the DM now
>order some books, download some others from /5eg/
>caffeinate the hell out of myself first session to keep from shaking, it kind of works. Scared as hell
>making characters takes a while but eventually we get a working level 1 party together
>caravan ambush, the classic adventure start encounter
>they enjoy it
>they engage in some truly vicious goblin torture
>they enjoy that too
>a few weeks later I'm actually feeling pretty good about myself
>getting food one day, see one of my new friends
>wave, she waves me over
>notice she has two strangers with her
>panic but it's too late now, I have to meet them
>stammer out a "Hello"
>"Hey, Anon! Guys, this is Anon, the guy I was just talking about. Anon, I was just telling them about how you do such a good job DMing!"
>mfw
Realizing that my players were totally not lying about how much they enjoyed playing with me, enough that they would apparently actually tell their friends that I'm a good DM, just made me really happy. It sounds super improbable to even tell it like this but I swear it's true.
>>
>>47004541
That's cute.

Autistic girls make pretty good girlfriends if you're good at handling them. Which is pretty easy if you're dedicated enough to google their mental problems and learn how to.

I've had two girlfriends with mental problems, mainly because of the groups I've hung out with since highschool. They were both pretty good gfs, mental problems aside. Broke up with both of them though but it was because of various problems on my end.

Now I'm 42 and single and lurking a board for tabletop games.

spoiler because off topic and blog
>>
>>47009237
Don't focus on being a perv so much, perv.
>>
>>47009109
>It sounds super improbable to even tell it like this but I swear it's true.
I like that you think it's impossible to not be a fuck-up, but I'm sure you're doing a great job dood.
>>
>>47009686
I meant it more like it seems really improbably that somebody would actually tell their friends all about their DM. I wasn't really sure whether or not to believe her at first, I almost thought she was just messing with me.
>>
Last night I had to GM a session, and prior to that I just got laid, but I don't think I got laid because GM'ing has made me better, I just have a nat 18 CHA.
>>
>>47009812
>I just have a nat 18 CHA
And there you just proved that you don't, smug fuck.
>>
>>47004541
she kills you in your sleep
BAD END
should have chosen fat girl
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.