[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Pauper General: JUST Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: 1459736792943.jpg (401 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
1459736792943.jpg
401 KB, 745x1040
What deck is a fun matchup against Burn? NB5 "none".

>MTGO Pauper Guide
https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
http://tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
http://www.mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings
>>
File: 208.jpg (78 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
208.jpg
78 KB, 312x445
Would Wojek Halberdiers be Pauper playable? How much value are we looking for before we call it playable in this format?
>>
Has anyone thought to build around Relentless Rats?
>>
>>46997910
It's not a common, so no.
>>
>>46997630
It is a strong creature for the format no question.

I would however always compare them against the 3 power staples: Delver of Secrets, Gurmag Angler and Myr Enforcer

It does not do anything against those three alone, it might be a good surprise however with Mutagenic Growth.

I am still not sure what kind of deck you want to build around it, but it might be an interesting rouge deck.
>>
>>46998205
i was thinking some dumb Boros aggro deck where you just curve out attackers from Turn 1. Boros Recruit or Javelineers, then Wojek, then either Viashino Firstblade or Skyknight Legionnaire, then just go in with Battalion. I mean, but I know that expecting Battalion to go off T3 is asking for a lot.

Honestly, I probably just like the card/battalion mechanic and hope that it would work.
>>
File: evolving_wilds.png (125 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
evolving_wilds.png
125 KB, 223x310
Hey folks, I've been tweaking my pauper cube list for the past few days and I'm looking for some feedback before I start buying singles to update it. I'm going for a lands-matter theme, with landfall, domain, retrace, land-animation (Zendikons and Awaken sorceries), and sacrifice. Here's the URL for the list:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1931

After looking it over, try building a sealed deck or drafting it if you have the time. All comments are appreciated!
>>
>>46997630
Boros Kitty is a deck archetype I've seen before. Halberdiers could fit into that curve well enough.

>T1 Plains, Steppe Lynx
>T2 Mountain, swing for 2, play Halberdiers
>T3 Terramorphic Expense, sac for Plains or Mountain, swing for 7, play another 2-drop
>>
File: Chain+Lightning+%5BVMA%5D.jpg (63 KB, 229x310) Image search: [Google]
Chain+Lightning+%5BVMA%5D.jpg
63 KB, 229x310
Just finished my Burn deck except for the Chain Lightening (3 to go). What should I place in for them?

Also, these idiots use MTGO banlist but no cards that haven't been printed on actual paper, and any card at common goes.

How can I fuck their world up on the cheap side? Any really broken cards (besides goblin grenade) printed at common that are not in MTGO that can fuck thier world up?
>>
>>47000448
Since you mentioned Goblin Grenade: Collateral Damage. You can sac anything to it, as well, which opens up the possibility of siding in Acts of Treason for certain matchups.
>>
File: 118.jpg (57 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
118.jpg
57 KB, 312x445
Lady Orca, 4 of these, and Shadowborn Apostles?
>>
>>47000624
And how do you plan to live long enough to summon one of your big demons?
>>
>>47000667
Who knows?
>>
>>47000624
No. there's no good reason to run Shadowborn apostles in pauper. all the demons aren't worth the Apostles being put into them.
>>
>>47000448
My son for me I ask you to sing the song of my people to them. The hymn of tourach. If I can't make people suffer here, it will warm this black heart knowing some one else is.
>>
>>47000716
Any deck list that uses hymn? I'm not sure why it's a great card
>>
File: PauperBNP 002.jpg (743 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
PauperBNP 002.jpg
743 KB, 2304x1728
hey kid wanna /bestdeckintheformat/
>>
>>47000741
>I'm not sure why it's a great card

2 mana for 2 cards discarded AT RANDOM.
>>
>>47000741
>I'm not sure why it's a great card
CMC of 2, opponent discards 2 cards at random.
AT. RANDOM.
As in, they don't get to pick what they discard. Their hand is at the mercy of a die roll.

Try running it in some kind of mono-black control brew.
>>
>>47000716
My local players have said hymn has not been a problem. How can I make it a problem.
>>
>>47000851
by casting it.

It's a glorious psychological attack when you get to strip him of two cards, and he has no control over it.
>>
>>47000572

My personal favourite for saccing for Collateral Damage is Goblin Arsonist. Basically just becomes a 1-mana kicker to add an extra point of damage to CD.
>>
>>46998326
Most of the battalion creatures are not really that great. Also in turn 3 you can easily run in 4/4 creature which can simply block you to death.
>>
>>46996418
UR alphastrike
>drop turn 3 kiln + blessing in hand
or
>drop turn 2 kiln + mutagenic in hand
or
>drop turn 3 nivix

win
>>
>>47000851
>T1 Swamp, Raven's Crime
Your opponent gets to pick their first discard, so they discard a bit of opening-hand chaff. But they're still down one card, so your follow-up is gonna hurt more.

>T2 Swamp, Hymn to Tourach
Now they're sweating. Your Hymn has probably stripped their hand of at least one of the cards they were counting on for their T2 or T3 plans, their hand is nearly empty, AND you still have that Raven's Crime sitting in your graveyard waiting to be retraced.

>T3 Swamp, Skittering Skirge, retrace Raven's Crime (if their hand is not already empty)
Your opponent may well scoop at this point.
>>
>>47001409
If you're saccing an Arsonist (or any Goblin) to burn, it might as well be Goblin Grenade for the extra 2 points.

What makes Collateral Damage so great is that you can sac anything else. Black Cat, Viridian Emissary, Perilous Myr, Driver of the Dead, Pitchburn Devils, that Imperiosaur you just borrowed with Act of Treason... the possibilities are endless.
>>
I win every tourny with my Burn deck and people are starting to make straight counter decks.

Do I make answers in Burn? Or do I show up with something completely different?
>>
>>47000851
By getting them into Legacy and playing BUG Delver against them.
>t1 DRS
>t2 tap DRS for mana eating fetchland hymn followed by Wasteland gg g2?
Doesn't apply to decks like Dredge of course but still hurts 90% of the field.
>>
>>47000759
BUGS AND PIGS
>>
>>47006848
I love the Pauper Gauntlet.

Got some Lifestaffs on order so I can build Pig Trinket too.
>>
>>47006739
Splash white for Cenn's Enlistment. They'll run out counters before you run out of lands to discard.
>>
>>47006828
Wasteland is Peasant (commons + uncommons), not Pauper (commons only). And I don't even know what DRS is.
>>
>>47007128
Deathrite Shaman.

I think he's talking just straight legacy. Not pauper legacy.
>>
>>47007234
Any format but pauper is too much for me to spend on a card game. Even the price of Pauper Burn made me cringe.
>>
>>47007029
I'm so envious of that. I wanna make
MBC
U Control
Goblins
Stompy
White Weenie

All in a box to give people a taste of what each color does and mono land base makes a deck much easier to play and opening hands much more easy to play.

I wish I was made of money.
>>
File: PauperMerchantControl 001.jpg (817 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
PauperMerchantControl 001.jpg
817 KB, 2304x1728
>>47007717
I keep meaning to get BB Witches and a second set of Chainers, but the prices...

Still, this is infinitely less punishing on my bank account compared to my Legacy lists.
>>
File: gauntlet box.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
gauntlet box.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
did someone say pauper gauntlet?
>>
>>47007782
Pls give.
Also make a custom cool ass box with art on it or something.
>>
>>47000851
Hymm is less good inpauper because many of the decks play aggro with a low mana curve. So, they can drop threats and attack while youre trying to empty their hands, and they wont miss the lands they discard because they can probably continue to cast threats.

Hymm is still good against combo and control.
>>
I'm seriously considering swapping out my copies of tangle for dawn charm in my green tron deck to help with the MBC matchup

thoughts?
>>
>>46996418
Fuck Infect and their ridiculous clock, not even double Gut Shot or Vapor Snag+Gut Shot got rid of that freaking compleated elf. I need more fogs.
>>
>>47011827
Infect is giving you trouble? You must he running some shit deck or you're just terrible.

Oh wait, you're a tripfag. Of course you're terrible.
>>
>>47011827
>infect
izzit blitz does the same degenerate thing but better
>>
>>47011827
You need to git good.

With Pauper Burn, how well would it do vs casual decks? Standard decks?
>>
>>47014789
Izzet blitz and G stompy are my two favorite decks atm.
>>
>>47014955
pauper burn pretty much legacy burn without fetchlands, price of progres, or blood moon

It is exceptionally good at counting to twenty, but casual
>>
File: tumblr_npa64fwY7Y1s9s753o3_1280.jpg (260 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npa64fwY7Y1s9s753o3_1280.jpg
260 KB, 1000x1000
>See post about local Pauper turnout being low
>Decide to take a few decks and go
>They say both of my decks are illegal for having MTGO Commons that are not common on paper.
>Scrape together Goblins with Goblin Grenade
>The 2 guys there say any printed card in common goes but MTGO banlist (fucking retards)
>Wreck shop
>They decide to ban Goblin Grenade that night.
>MFW they make another post about no one ever showing up

GEE I WONDER WHY.
>>
>>47015916

>They say both of my decks are illegal for having MTGO Commons that are not common on paper.

Welcome to pauper and why the format won't ever take off. Well that, and good luck with reprints of older commons
>>
File: 139.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
>>47016440
This is why MTGO format needs to be the standard. The card pool is much more realistic. The game meta is much better.

I tried convincing my local store but they are idiots.

I've decided to just make MTGO legal decks and get people into it at other stores/places and hopefully they will outnumber the 3 morons that play pauper here.

Fucking MTG players are toxic as fuck.
>>
>>47016613

Out of sheer practicality, people are going to have to adopt to MTGO card pool if they want the format to survive. Most people that play pauper do it online, it would only make sense.
>>
>>47011657
Honestly, I'd look for in-color sideboard options before revamping your mana base to include a white splash (assuming your deck doesn't splash white already).
>>
>>47016440
>>47016613
>>47016753
Stories like this are why pauper cube is best pauper, IMO.
>>
>>47000448
Hymn to Tourach is banned in my local paper meta for good reason. Use it.
>>
>>47016949
I don't have the money and don't know what a good paper pauper deck looks like with Hymn because all the decklists are for online, where it is played the most.
>>
File: 114.jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
114.jpg
64 KB, 312x445
>>47015916
Goblin Grenade isn't even a common on MTGO, what exactly was the problem?
>>
>>47017190
They got fucking murdered by my Goblin deck.
>>
>>47017190
He said they allow any card PRINTED AT COMMON.
>>
My friend is pressuring me into pauper. I'm not really interested, but he won't shut up. It's cheap enough that I won't feel like I've wasted much if I put something together.

How would a zombie deck work? A lot of the utility zombies are common like shepherd of rot, gempalm Polluter, Gary, vengeful dead, ect that I think it could work. How well do you think it would run and how much removal/utility should I use?
>>
>>47017714
Read the OP. Zombies are shit. Cheap and good look at Goblins or Stompy.
>>
>>47016988
Hymn is worth less than a dollar..

>>47015916
Serious butthurt there. How exactly is Goblin Grenade worse than Galvanic Blast?
>>
>>47017714
>How would a zombie deck work
bad since zombies are shit and have 'bout zero support on common.

Also, if we count dredge as zombie tribal we can count teachings since they kill normally with zombies
>>
>>47017714
Zombies are not too bad, it plays good creatures at the cost of life and have great recursion.
There are mono B and G/B lists. If you want a list to start with, there's this article:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/playing-pauper-zombies

>>47019040
>teachings
>kill with zombies
n-no
>>
File: file.png (293 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
file.png
293 KB, 312x445
>>47019067
:^)
>>
>>47019332
That's not Evincar's Justice or curse, anon.
>>
>>47016844
the deck runs 12 mana rocks as is to filter colors when needed.

It does splash white in the most minor way already
>>
>>47014789
Blitz at least leaves turns 1 and 2 to me so I can play Erasure without worrying about mana for Vapor Snag. I'm playing Turbofog btw.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.