[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>7 months ago >join first not-online rpg group >first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1461159218907.jpg (60 KB, 640x628) Image search: [Google]
1461159218907.jpg
60 KB, 640x628
>7 months ago
>join first not-online rpg group
>first time playing DnD, 5e.
>been playing WoD and Shadowrun for a year or two with /tg/
>one of the players owns an LGS
>two months later GM moves and group dies
>go visit LGS for the first time on monday because I wanted some new dice
>store owner says he needs a new gm for in-store games
>mentioned in the past that I liked GM'ing
>asks if I could do a dnd 5e campaign for him
>I've never run a dnd game
>or GMed for an irl group, especially not one in a store.
help
>>
>>46994517
so say no? you said no, right?
>>
>>46994517
Playing with strangers is a good way to git gud and not subject your friends to rookie DM mistakes.
Just don't let the inevitable alpha nerd push you around with his rules lawyering.
>>
>>46994546
i said i would think about it and get back with him.
>>
>>46994578
oh, then you have all the prep time you could want

this is honestly the last place you should be asking for help though, /tg/ is literally that guy that doesnt realize hes being that guy then goes home and blogs on an anonymous board about everyone else in his group being that guy
>>
>>46995117
ok.

any advice for trying to run 5e?
stories about LGS groups, even if we are the that guys?
>>
>>46995631
Hey, I was actually in a similar situation this last fall, only it was a bunch of friends at college who wanted to try D&D and I was the one with experience. Also, I volunteered, so it's not exactly the same, but similar.

I started off by downloading the MEGA from /5eg/ with all the modules on it, buying some physical PHBs, and running the Starter Set adventure, Lost Mines of Phandelver. In fact, I'd recommend buying it because you already have the LGS backing you up on this, and it probably comes with a neat looking screen and stuff. It's a pretty solid adventure, and it helped me build confidence that I could be a decent GM in general. You said you've run games before, right? I don't see why 5e would be all that different, really.

>stories about LGS groups
This is what I'd mostly be worried about with your situation. You'll be playing with strangers?
>>
>>46995631
Just run Keep on the Borderlands.
>>
>>46995925
all the books I would need should be at the shop allready, although the store is 90% MTG and 9% 40k.
Friday nights are... whatever the equivalent to pathfinder society is, but not official, and for 5e.
and sunday has an ongoing campaign but apparently its getting a little crowded and all the other random gms have up and vanished.

I've gmed before, but it was always modern settings and the players were extremely flakey as per usual tg groups, with the exception of a handful of repeat players/skype friends. I've never done fantasy, I'm not against it, I just never wanted to over the other stuff avalible to me.
>>
File: CWDmIpxUwAARAa4.jpg:orig.jpg (62 KB, 401x600) Image search: [Google]
CWDmIpxUwAARAa4.jpg:orig.jpg
62 KB, 401x600
>>46994517
I'm more interested in OP's image and its origins as to who made that OC and what the original full resolution is.
https://twitter.com/Dastonio/status/675792985360048128
This is the oldest copy I could find with GRIS, and even it isn't the original. One reply suggests they made it or know who made the OC, but their timeline is gigantic.
>>
>>46994517
>>store owner says he needs a new gm for in-store games
Is this that 5e D&D Encounters thing that's now called Adventurers League?

I saw an ad for a local shop seeking: GM. It said "everything supplied & players waiting!". They seemed pretty thirsty.
>>
>>46996789
No. I think he just wants to shuffle players to other days so the sunday game isnt so crowded. he also mentioned he might join, so theres probably that too.

If it was that premade shit I would probably be more willing to run it, partially so I could blame the the module when I screw up, and patially so I could fuck with it and pull a spoony.
>you will never tpk a tournament group
but again thats not what he wants.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.