[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good system aside from Call of Cthulhu for horror/atmospheric
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 48830332.jpg (14 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
48830332.jpg
14 KB, 460x276
What's a good system aside from Call of Cthulhu for horror/atmospheric games?

I've been able to pull off some tense moments in CoC, but I don't like the idea of a SAN stat, which sometimes detracts from the spooks. So, I'm curious as to what else there is.
>>
>>46984413
Dread is known as the champion of alternative horror games.
>>
File: 1459677030831.jpg (133 KB, 464x750) Image search: [Google]
1459677030831.jpg
133 KB, 464x750
>>46984413
>>46985262

>not unknown armies
>>
>>46986254
Unknown armies is perfect for playing unknown armies and that is pretty much that.

Nemesis is Unknown Armies Horror system on ORE making it slightly more generic.

Also i agree Dread is only game i know that makes players nervous.
When failure depends on your personal nerves and skills instead of luck that does add something to horror.
Only thing better than Dread is Dread with electroshock.
>>
>>46986254
Even as someone who loves UA I'd never use the system outside of playing UA.
>>
I'm going to suggest New World of Darkness, just keep everyone vanilla humans and it should keep it's horror aspects.

>>46986826
Why not anon? it looks like it'd be a pretty good horror system from a quick glance.
>>
>>46988408
By New World of Darkness do you mean the Chronicles of whatever? I got lost in White Wolf?Onyx Something publishing.
>>
>>46988754

Basically you want to "core" "World of Darkness" book that is focused on running a mundane game using the Storyteller system in it's ultimate, near perfect, form.

Nemesis is probably better though.
>>
>>46986771
Unknown Armies is the greatest game I've never played. I love how intricate the mental trauma system is, and how goofy the magic system is.

Maybe I'll play a game on roll20 or IRC someday.
>>
>>46989000
>Nemesis is probably better though.
Man I really want to play Nemesis (or really any ORE game), but like no one plays it.
>>
File: the-lost-room.jpg (31 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
the-lost-room.jpg
31 KB, 570x300
>>46986771
>>46986826

Would Unknown Armies be a passable system for running a game modeled after The Lost Room? Weird occult objects and shadow societies vying for control of them.
>>
>>46988754
Never really looked at chronicles, no I'm talking the one right before that but after the OWoD with it's damage soak and whatnot.

>>46989070
I think NWoD would be perfect for this especially with books like reliquary to make the aforementioned Objects.
>>
>>46989383
Looking at Reliquary now, looks as good as it gets. It even mentions the show in it's inspiration.

Some of my group are oldschool White Wolf fans and spent years telling me nWoD is inferior to oWoD, but they'd probably give it a go if I sold this to them. Thanks.
>>
>>46989515
No problem anon. Man I miss that show.
>>
>>46990037
Honestly I could probably watch it again since I don't remember that much. The only thing I remember is that the items come from some motel room that a salesman was in and it vanished or something, but I feel that has to be wrong.
>>
>>46990547
nope that's right. they never really explain Why or How it happened. It is worth watching again though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.