[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The GM announces that his next campaign will be about slow-moving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: Londo.jpg (56 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Londo.jpg
56 KB, 1024x576
>The GM announces that his next campaign will be about slow-moving space politics between aliens who all have valid reasons for hating each other, and that combat will be rare and consist almost entirely of assassins trying to kill people when they disrupt someone else's political or mercantile plans
>>
>>46983846

Holy shit, I've played in games like that before. It usually takes less than two session for the players to start killing shit.
>>
>>46983846

what system are you using?
>>
File: 1406818184408.jpg (99 KB, 466x750) Image search: [Google]
1406818184408.jpg
99 KB, 466x750
>>46983846
If you're not running this in Eclipse Phase, you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: 1456265789562.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456265789562.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
>The GM starts talking about how he'd like to run a Nobilis campaign
>>
>>46983846
I won't play in it, but I hope he enjoys it.
>>
>>46983846
Sounds good.
>>
>>46983846
You're playing Amber? Great, I love that game!
>>
>>46983846
I roll up a Ferengi. I'm going full capitalist on their alien asses.
>>
>>46983846
Sign me up Londo
>>
>>46983846
>GM wants you to sit through a reading of his boring ass scifi novella after unsuccessfully trying to sell it on Amazon

FTFY
>>
>>46983846
Gotta admit, I don't have much interest in that. Have fun though.
>>
>then the first ones show up
>>
File: 1460239487218.jpg (120 KB, 555x921) Image search: [Google]
1460239487218.jpg
120 KB, 555x921
>GM runs a game focused around a tavern in a city
>>
>>46983846
Possibly awesome, possibly horrible. You're going to have to not allow the GM too much control over this, but try to go along with it in spirit.
>>
>>46983846
That sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>46983846
So Dune, but with aliens?

Sign me the fuck up.
>>
File: logh[1].jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
logh[1].jpg
57 KB, 500x375
I'm 100% behind slow moving space politics, but war is war. You can find a way to make a good combat sequence every other session at least. The whole assassination angle makes me think that he's taking too much inspiration from Game of Thrones style politics.
>>
>>46983846
Sign me up captain

Especially if the GM is an old British guy
>>
>>46983846

That depends. What roles will we be playing during this game?
Are we going to be the Alien Ambassadors guiding our worlds? Are we going to be the Ambassadors' aides, playing dirty political tricks in the background? Are we going to be the neutral security forces trying like hell to stop these Ambassadors killing each other and starting intergalactic wars?

Or are we going to be the poor saps stuck taking notes for the archives, in which case fuck that noise.
>>
>>46985028
I GM'ed a game like this. I gave them a sandbox and they decided to run a tavern. I hated it, they loved the fuck out of it. I kept making it more complicated in the hopes of turning them off but it backfired and they liked it more. By the end, they may as well have been running a real business with the level of business accounting and customer bullshit I was throwing at them.
>>
File: 1446256585444.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446256585444.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
>>46983846
I'm okay with this, but only if there are some cool aliens I can play.
>>
>>46986546
No one said they were at war. It actually makes a lot of sense that space civilizations would be extremely reluctant to go to war with each other. For the same reason nuclear powers on earth don't want war with each other. Anyone advanced enough to travel between stars should also be capable of easily wiping out entire planetary populations.
>>
>>46987544
If there's no threat of war, I don't think the story of passive aggressive space UN sounds interesting at all. I guess as another anon pointed out, most of this comes down to the players role in the story. Space politics are great, but you can't just have the players discuss trade policies, and there's PLENTY of ways to reason with the minimizing of damage war can do.
>>
>>46983846
>combat will be rare and consist almost entirely of assassins
Shh!
We're not telling the Rangers, yet!
>>
File: Barmaid OCC.jpg (1 MB, 2492x1648) Image search: [Google]
Barmaid OCC.jpg
1 MB, 2492x1648
>>46985028
Rifts has you covered.
>>
>>46983846
>roll a Narn
>play as former collaberationist exile on Centauri Prime
>>
>>46988139
The threat of war would be looming over anything. It's the reason your political maneuvering is so important. Because if you can't resolve conflicts by other means, there could be a war, and it would be horrific.
>>
>>46983999
I was going to make fun of libertarians and furfags but then I saw your trips. Carry on.
>>
File: WAR FACE.png (68 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
WAR FACE.png
68 KB, 250x189
>GM runs a mini-campaign based around being bootcamp instructors.

It was pretty frustrating at times, but in a fun way.
>>
File: 1428906460088.gif (83 KB, 450x264) Image search: [Google]
1428906460088.gif
83 KB, 450x264
>>46983846

That's great! I already started an hour ago.

>>46987343

Someone needs to shop that with Vir.
>>
>>46988433
Yes, but it's not a lose condition to say a battle happens, at all. Something needs to happen in your story, and you can't say it's going to be 30 assassination attempts to endless discussions of trade goods.
>>
>>46983846
>space politics between aliens who all have valid reasons for hating each other

sorry i'm gonna have to sit this one out. last time played an RPG with this i doomed all of galactic civilization and didn't feel bad about it one bit because they were all assholes that deserved each other

i was paragon
>>
>>46983846
The only thing i didn't like about the show was this: Minbari act retarded on first contact. Human captian opens fire,destroys the ship and kills someimportant minbari dude. Minbari decide to completely fucking genocide the entire human race because of MUH FEELINGS. Eradicate multiple colonies and assault earth. Refuse to stop, refuse to have peace talks, refuse ANY communication at all, refuse humans trying to explain the situation through other race's diplomats.

And then they only stop their genocide because appearantly minbari souls are reeincarnated in human bodies.

And now all humans are all a-okay with the minbari. All humans who stilll hate them, or want revenge, or just critisize that bullshit behaviour, are shown to be ass-backwards, reactionary rascist murderous douchebag terrorist chads. Literally.

And then SInclaire (who fought in earth's last stand as a fighter pilot) goes all "No you guys have to let go of your hatred and accept the Minbari and be peacefull and, like, you're so racist, guys!"

---

The ONLY thing i hated about that show. The rest was pretty good.
>>
File: idon'tlikewherethisisgoing.jpg (28 KB, 574x317) Image search: [Google]
idon'tlikewherethisisgoing.jpg
28 KB, 574x317
>>46983846
>>
>>46990755
From the Minbari perspective, they were making peaceful, friendly contact and humans opened up on them for no reason.

Probably at some point someone did some minor fact-checking and discovered that about a decade or two previously, the Dilgar attacked some Earth ships, and then a few years later there were no more Dilgar, the entire species having been wiped out.

So the Minbari thought that they were up against aggressive, psychopathic barbarians.
>>
>>46990755
>And now all humans are all a-okay with the minbari. All humans who stilll hate them, or want revenge, or just critisize that bullshit behaviour, are shown to be ass-backwards, reactionary rascist murderous douchebag terrorist chads. Literally.
This is the part that bugged me. The Minbari nearly genocided humanity in response to one unjustified attack by one ship. This happened recently enough that all adult characters lived through that war. Yet no character who's suppose to be even slightly sympathetic has any animosity towards Minbari.

Then there's the Minbari whining about how Sheridan is a no good cheater, for daring to use tactics to destroy an enemy warship.
>>
>>46990755

Just rewatched the series it seems like you're forgetting some bits.

They killed The Most Important Minbari in 1000 years, while being offered the highest honour from him. The order to kill all humans came from the dead minbari's best friend, pupil, etc. in her darkest moment of rage.

All humans are not okay with minbari. The show makes a point of repeatedly demonstrating that there are large, powerful and influential groups of humans who hate them, and all aliens. These groups are powerful enough to take over the entire Earth Alliance Government for several years.

Sinclaire had ptsd, only way to get over it was to accept the minbari and try to let go of his hate. Also in B5 universe there are souls, he has/is the soul of the greatest minbari ever. He was basically a saint.

Sheridan demonstrated strong animosity towards minbari several times. The 2nd season oppener, the attempt at framing him for murder. He has a monologue about not feeling bad about killing a bunch of them. He gets over it sort of with some half-space-elf sexings.
>>
>>46992420
>He has a monologue about not feeling bad about killing a bunch of them.
It wasn't "I'm glad I killed all those Minibari." It was "I'm not going to apologize for the one win we got in an otherwise hopeless war."
>>
>>46983846
I think you're forgetting about all the "wanderer shows up on station and starts killing people because reasons" episodes.
>>
>>46983999
>>46983966
Fading Suns is the obvious choice.
>>
>>46993356

Doing fading suns with kingdom or reign would maybe be the best thing ever.
>>
>>46993476
What is kingdom? And yes! to Reign.
>>
>>46993594

Its by the guy who did microscope. Kingdom focuses more on specific power players in an area and their interplay. It could work pretty well for sci-fi space opera politics and intrigue.
>>
>>46987095
Please tell your tale, anon
>>
>>46983846
I am COMPLETELY for everything about this as long as the aliens are cool and not just blue humans.
>>
>>46990726
>not choosing destroy
>letting a reaper AI manipulate you into integrating with them and perpetuating the cycle
>fulfilling Sovereign's prophecy, "You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it."

Should've left Jenkins in command.
>>
>>46983846
Let me just say that Babylon 5 has not aged well. I made the mistake of rewatching it recently, and by the time it had become all about new age nonsense order vs chaos bullshit I was just about ready to get rid of the entire series.

It started out decently when it seemed to be mostly space politics, but that part never went anywhere interesting.
>>
>>46990726
I choose the green ending, thought having everyone living and cyborg would be a better alternative, everything turned good for the world
>>
>>46987095

That sounds fucking hilariously ironic.

At least the players had a good time not killing shit for once.
>>
File: IMG__201604121__112838.jpg (87 KB, 506x279) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201604121__112838.jpg
87 KB, 506x279
>>47001088
Truely the best ending.
>>
>>46983846

I hope to players refuse to play ball and start killing shit immediately.
>>
>>47001088
The only way the ending makes any sense is if the fan theory is indeed correct and the whole thing is a giant Reaper hallucination, which would mean that the only correct option is to destroy them and that all other alternatives just means that Shepard was succesfully indoctrinated.

And fuck you for making me think of that mess again.
>>
>>47001273
>the only way the ending makes any sense is if the final act was rushed to completion to meet production deadlines and incorporated an asspull ending, penned on a napkin between Mac Walters and Casey Hudson, trying for a "too deep 4 u" finish that none of the other writing staff was aware of.

FTFY

I like to think ME 2 and 3 were the final dying delusions of Shepard after he was spaced.
>>
>>46983846
So literally a game that nobody is ever capable of successfully running barring savant-level roleplay? Good luck. I'm gonna go kill some baddies, earn some money, and spend it on wine and women.
>>
>>46990802
It's cool, man. Just try to keep your head under pressure.
>>
>>47001973
it's like you actually love playing shitty games
>>
>>47002255
Not everyone is an expert roleplayer and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm pretty average. I do voices and I stick to what my character knows, but this doesn't mean the rest of the party does, nor does it mean the GM knows how to convey all the NPCs, nor does it mean everyone at the table even likes politics. Every group I've ever played in that has ever tried an "intrigue" or "political" campaign has gotten tremendously bored because the GMs simply weren't good enough to reveal the necessary subtle hints without either forcing them or having them be completely invisible.

I used to want to play political intrigue but it's gone shitty so many times it's simply not worth it.
>>
>>47001973
>doing anything than dungeon crawls
>staying in character
>taking the game seriously to any degree
>savant-level roleplay
ok
>>
>>46983846
So, what? Are we playing as politicians/diplomats? People who actually have cause to care about the politics of this setting on a regular basis?

No? We're playing as street-level nobodies? Okay then, we immediately seek out employment as mercenaries/assassins working for one of the major galactic players. Failing that, we pool our resources, buy a spaceship, and go sailing off to the outer rim territories, seeking adventure.

The guys in suits can keep their summits and their treaties. We're gonna go loot precursor ruins and fight pirates.
>>
>>46983846
I made a damn fine attempt at this, and I managed to get the players to play along, up until about session 6 when they decided (Honestly I had considered this guy's goals kinda neutral in the broader scheme of things) that their current patron (Which they had expended considerable political effort to sign up with in session 1) was going to break the deadlocked war if his efforts met fruition, in a BAD way.

So they spent another session manipulating him to give them a mission that he would have to turn up to see to the clean up phase of personally. They then turned on the guy and tried to assassinate him, but underestimated the tenacity of his personal guard and failed, only for his escape shuttle to be interdicted out of warp by a privateer fleet hired by a player several sessions earlier that was originally going to be used to kill off the guy's nephew in a freak fleet maneuvers training accident.

Most of them then handed themselves in for court martial, satisfied that thwarting this guy's plans was enough justice for one lifetime. They wouldn't be set free until another campaign in a different system 15 years later.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.