[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DMs: Is there a condition that you secretly look for without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Mouse-stach.jpg (13 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
Mouse-stach.jpg
13 KB, 500x370
DMs: Is there a condition that you secretly look for without telling the player directly that helps you weed out bad players ahead of time?

Personally, I find that my groups average playtime and general happiness with the game tend to go up if I weed out people who play in Magic the Gathering tournaments.
>>
>>46975781
>overt fixation on mind control powers
>weed users
>console gamers
>people without post-secondary education
>Steve
>>
>>46975781
>Personally, I find that my groups average playtime and general happiness with the game tend to go up if I weed out people who play in Magic the Gathering tournaments.

This makes perfect fucking sense to me, and I'm going to start doing this.

MtG is all about minmaxing munchkinnery, and building the strongest possible option, blatantly disregarding anything to do with setting or personality.
I've floated the idea of an MtG RPG by a couple of competitive players, and they gave me a look like I just suggested having a skinny dipping party in boiling nacho cheese.
>>
>Tasteless meme use
>Stuttering in text in a non-rp environment
>Unironic use of /pol/ or /int/ speech
>Brown-nosing me as the GM
>Talking about 40k more than occasionally
>Not capitalising sentences or using basic punctuation

Unless there are a few of these in concerning quantities, I wont kick someone for it, but they've really come to be stealth red flags for shitty players.
>>
File: BrainsProblems.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BrainsProblems.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>46975809
>Console gamers

Welp, I found the shit GM who can't separate his real-world personal tastes from a fantasy world where it's not even a thing that exists.
>>
>>46975841
_YOUTHS_
>>
>>46975886
Of they're dumb enough to waste several hundred dollars on an electric brick that is unupgradable and obsolete before release, then they're too dumb to sit at my table.
>>
File: 1425249858984.jpg (26 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
1425249858984.jpg
26 KB, 308x308
>>46975907
2/10, here's your reply. Go away now.
>>
>>46975886
Not him, but recently I've flagged anyone who mentions Dark Souls within the first 20 minutes of meeting them. ESPECIALLY so if they've never played a TRPG before

>They stat a character out specifically for a Zweihander build
>That awkward moment when I have to explain to them that two enemies juxtaposed 5 feet from each other are not going to both get hit by the same attack and the AC is an abstraction of armor plus them dodging
>And all the other things they carry over
>>
>>46975809
See, I agree with most of these. Especially Steve.

Friends don't let friends game with Steve.
>>
>>46975954
Worst DM EU 2k16
>>
>>46975954
I normally talk about the DM's game and possible character concepts during the first 20 minutes of meeting them because I'm here to play a game, friendships can come later.
>>
>>46975828

Gotta find the Vorthos players. We're fine. (But then again, I suppose we don't go to tournaments, either, really).
>>
>>46976152
Can't say I havwas gamed with randoms before, have you had good experiences?
>>
>>46976226
I met my current group like, 2-3 years ago and we're still playing together. I've had good experiences with gamefinder, but then the worst experiences I've had are GMs just bailing without saying anything. Never had to deal with a 'That Guy'
>>
>>46976226
Not him, but I've DM'd for Adventurer's League for a long while. I have some stories I keep posting around here about the literal autists I would run into. It's no wonder TRPGs are dead in my area.
>>
File: red flags.jpg (363 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
red flags.jpg
363 KB, 1600x1068
>>46975781
I've had good results by watching out for these things and getting rid of players who fall into these patterns.
>overtly political; likely to insert their politics into the game or make a big deal out of politics they disagree with
>doesn't try to hide their power level; openly wears video game or cartoon-related clothes or accessories
>basic hygiene
>if they go into excessive detail about their "build" before the game even starts, without any consideration for how and why the character came into their profession and learned their skills
>TVTropes lingo
>excessively negative reactions to bad rolls (see also: "Take 10 damage." "MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP AND DIE, THIS FIGHT'S IMPOSSIBLE, HE DOES TOO MUCH DAMAGE")
>obsessed with sex
>>
>>46975828
There's a promising-looking /tg/ homebrew Magic RPG on 1d4chan; you take a look at that? It looks like it might be fun, but it's not quite complete.
>>
>>46975781
In my experience foreverDMs don't make the best players, I suffer from it too , we are all control freaks
>>
>>46976500
If nothing else though, letting a foreverDM play for a bit is just good courtesy.
>>
>>46976528
Yeah , we might be better players if we HAD MORE PRACTICE
>>
File: 1391488322050.gif (2 MB, 295x211) Image search: [Google]
1391488322050.gif
2 MB, 295x211
>>46976500
It's true. I'm my group's ForeverDM and the last few times I got to play, all I could think the entire time was shit like
>I could be running this so much better than this motherfucker
>We meet in a tavern? Look at this amateur hour bullshit
>That's not how foreshadowing works you artless swine
>Nigger that's not how that spell works, did you even read the rulebook
>Creatures that intelligent would never charge blindly
>Why is this dumb thug fighting to the death after we killed his allies, he should be surrendering, this ain't a video game
>this encounter is so poorly-balanced, if you account for enemy group size it goes from a dangerous encounter to a lethal one, did he even consider that
And this was when a group member I actually like was DMing.
>>
>>46975809
>weed users
people play this shit sober? what are you gonna say next, no alcohol or pizza? no girls?
>>
wait does everyone in this thread actually play DnD with randoms? don't you all have friends?
>>
>>46976443
>>excessively negative reactions to bad rolls (see also: "Take 10 damage." "MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP AND DIE, THIS FIGHT'S IMPOSSIBLE, HE DOES TOO MUCH DAMAGE")
Holy shit, I had this player for awhile. Except he was even worse because he was legitimately a bad player. At everything.

>That Guy loves Dragons
>Makes a Dragonborn, not understanding how different they are
>They enter into a room
>That Guy rushes, alone, into the middle of a murder of villains
>"I breathe my breath weapon!"
>Rolls his dinky 2d6
>rolls a 4
>Almost all of them make their Dex save
>Did a whopping total of 6 damage
>At the end of his turn, before anyone even has time to do anything or react
>"Well fuck this, I might as well just rage quit cause I'm fucking dead. This is literally the worst, fuck this game, you're a shit DM, you said this was supposed to be heroic, I'm gonna lose my character..." etc, etc.
>It took his then-girlfriend 20 minutes to calm him the fuck down
>Entire mood is ruined, wind up stopping game hella early.
>>
>>46976751
The shit in this thread is exactly why I don't play with randoms anymore, but sometimes friends invite their friends or tell other people who are interested, so it's still important to try and get an idea of whether or not someone is appropriate for your group.
>>
>>46976751
I don't play D&D because I don't like the d20 system
>>
>>46976779
>being a dm
>not setting the game up so your players can feel like gods
>actually playing by the book rules and watching people get stomped
shit dm desu
>>
>>46976443
What's wrong with gamer shirts?
>>
>>46975781
These are the people I weed out:
>anyone under 25
>"creative" types
>anyone without an interesting hobby
>girlfriend who wants to join to spend time with her BF
>weed smokers
>"gamers"

Preparing for mad.
>>
>>46976837
There's no challenge if you're guaranteed to win.
>>
>>46976862
Anon, that's VERY obviously bait. Don't actually bite it you dork.
>>
>>46976859
Not mad, but why 25? I've always figured 22 was a better number since that's when they graduate college.
>>
>>46975781
One experiment I've wanted to try is to just ask randoms who their favorite philosopher is. I'd imagine it would be extremely easy to find the "NOTHIN' PERSONNEL, KID" people, and the people that get overly upset about groups that have nothing to do with the campaign. The experiment could be a disaster though, I don't know, somebody should test it out.
>>
>>46976665
It's a harsh life we live friend
>>
>>46976862
yea...except DnD isn't a video game that you can casually pick up and drop, its months of commitment. My buddy likes to pull that shit on us and thinks its funny, sets us up to get molested by ridiculous fights, after every sessions half of us are almost dead and no one has fun during the session. its just a bad time in general.

its hard enough to get sessions going because of conflicting schedules, then you spend your day off getting 2 shot by orcs? no thanks.
>>
>>46976904
At best, the normal people will think it's a weird question and probably just say the first thing that pops to mind, if they even KNOW a philosopher.

At worst, the like-minded people that you'd want for your game are going to take that question as a sign you're a fedora-tipper and run away.
>>
>>46976891
I've found older players are better at staying on track, taking a serious game seriously, are more reliable, tend to be either married or in a long term relationship so don't have to deal with any of that bullshit by proxy, less prone to getting drunk off their asses, and generally all around more pleasant to be around. I know enough people that I can afford to be picky, so I am.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you in your early 20s? If you are, consider that those of us in our 30s see you in about the same way that you see teenagers.
>>
>>46976859
not gonna lie, you sound like you're about as much fun as gonorrhoea.
>>
>>46976837
Getting stomped is part of the fun
>>
No female players.
>>
>>46976938
I forgot to mention that it doesn't matter what the philosopher is what matters is the response, but you're probable right. It would most likely be a disaster.
>>
File: edition wars.gif (1 MB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
edition wars.gif
1 MB, 426x240
>>46976842
Initially nothing, but it can be an indicator of other personality problems, like basing one's entire identity around being a fan of something. I'm sure you can think of someone you know who is just a little too into a given hobby, cartoon, or video game, who tries to insert it into everything or compare everything to it. You know, the autistic superfan who won't shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>46976965
Yeah, but how would you demonstrably categorize the response? Which philosophers would be kosher, and which aren't? What are current fedoras into, and will it be obvious that they are tipping?
>>
>>46976957
once or twice sure, control freak DM's get this boss complex where they have to make everything almost impossible to beat, like you're supposed to read their minds or something and do the 1 or 2 possible things that will achieve victory. another bullshit factor is sometimes the players just get shit rolls and the DM keeps rolling 18+. if your DM is a hardass it pretty much ruins the game. and frankly I blame that entirely on a lack of creativity, its really not hard to make the game enjoyable for your players.
>>
>>46977061
I'm reasonably certain Nietzsche is still popular but few of his "fans" ever read him, with even fewer having read a good translation. Maybe familiarizing oneself with the work of some major ones and following "Who is your favorite philosopher" with "Why?" could help refine this process.
>>
>>46976859
>>46976726
My issue isn't with people smoking weed or drinking (I drink while dming), my issue is with people drinking or smoking TOO much. If you get fucked up to the point you can't really pay attention to the game, you're not gonna be part of the game.
>>
>>46976904
Nietzsche is my favorite philosopher, wanna fight about it?
>>
>>46977061
I think the whole point is to see what the response is at all, more than likely to weed out anti-intellectuals or people who fear learning new things. That's just my guess.
>>
>>46977114
I agree, I don't care what you're doing on your own time but don't come to my game stoned and no smoking in my house. You can drink, but don't get drunk and don't shit on my living room floor please.
>>
>>46977114
thats a pretty reasonable request, sucks when people zone out and don't pay attention.

>>46977142
>no getting stoned at all
>drink but can't get drunk
you're next level dude, your house your rules I suppose.
>>
>>46977211
You sound like a degenerate stoner senpai.
>>
>>46977141
Right, but that process will probably do more harm then good.
>>
>>46977142
This
>>
>>46976976
Ah, yeah, I understand that. Most of my gaming shirts have symbols for things I happen to like.
>>
>>46975954

> player is clearly interested in a certain kind of game and is eager to play a particular build
> fuck them
>>
>>46977226
you sound like a holier than thou dickhead
>>
>>46975841
>Unironically hating /pol/ and /int/.

I mean you had me listening until that point. What's there to hate about their "speech"?
>>
>>46977355
he said tasteless meme use, this guy is clearly an sjw fag lord.
>>
>>46977376

Is there even tasteful meme use?
>>
>>46977326
You're not sounding any less like a degenerate stoner. Come back when you can follow what's going on and remember what happened more than 10 minutes ago instead of just sitting there like a lump.
>>
Hear me, /tg/.

I will take all shitty players, nomatter the red flags.
I will take on the burden of DMing them, and shaping them into amazingly fun players who everyone loves.

I will do what the rest of you can not.
I will make this world perfect.
>>
File: igotnothin.jpg (81 KB, 499x442) Image search: [Google]
igotnothin.jpg
81 KB, 499x442
>>46976940
At first I was going to be offended by that but sense entered play and I can see the reasoning behind it.
>I'm 25.
>>
>>46977393
Godspeed thee, though doomed you be.
>>
>>46977310
Not that anon, but I've seen some players like this before. The concern that I always have, especially when the thing they're interested was just released like Darksouls 3, is that they'll soon get tired of it and lose interest.
>>
>>46977326
>Implying having morals and a sense of tradition is worse than DUDE WEED LMAO.

Mcfucking kill yourself why don't you?
>>
>>46977391
I can get stoned drunk and still pay attention, you're just gay irl.

>>46977430
>morals and a sense of tradition
LOL thats what you call being a self righteous cunt?
>>
>>46975781
When I do GM I look for these qualities
>around the same age
>can actually ROLEplay and does not ROLLplay
>Lateral thinkers
>someone who will get along with the group (or at the very least will keep their OOC conflicts at the door and wont bring them out IC)

if you can't do that then i wont even send the invite.
>>
>>46977393
Everyone deserves a first chance. I'm with you, fellow retard.

If it helps, I can attest that it can be done. My current group consists of:

>A socially awkward hipster.
>A chantard who is completely incapable of making anything but a socially inept titcow waifu.
>An arrogant blowhard.
and
>A guy who cannot help but switch characters constantly, all of them just a little ill-fitting.

And yet, they're a 10/10 gaming group.
>>
>>46975781
Spelling, grammar and sentence structure.
>>
File: 1459697765696.png (309 KB, 306x531) Image search: [Google]
1459697765696.png
309 KB, 306x531
>>46976940
I was going to argue, but then realized how many cunts my own age are insufferable to play with.
Fair enough.
>>
>>46977512
You could make the greatest people in the world sound like terrible people if you summed them up in short greentexts that only focused on the worst aspects of their personalities.
>>
There's few real telltale sign for a shitty player besides the blatant tells of a shitty person in general, that is without delving into idiotic personal biases that don't actually correlate with anything. I guess the only common theme I can really run across are veterans, because inevitably you're going to run into stubborn fuckers who think they know better than you; regardless of whether or not they do it's a shitty attitude to bring to the table.

>>46977460
>can actually ROLEplay and does not ROLLplay
Get out of here with that stormwind bullshit.
>>
>>46976935
this, i like to have encounters that provide enough of a challenge to be fun, but not so hard that its a "crit success or die"
>>
>>46977679
It has been my experience that rollplay is shorthand for a minmax autistic play style with ZERO character development.
>>
File: 1461278979320.png (54 KB, 749x434) Image search: [Google]
1461278979320.png
54 KB, 749x434
>>46975781
>"How do I choose players?"
I dunno, by not being a dumb person and not bringing the issue to /tg/?

OP, this has nothing to do with /tg/.

"How do I choose people I invite to the pool party?", "How do I choose a girl I date with?" - literally the same questions with the same fucking context.
Why don't you ask them elsewhere?

I DUNNO, BY NOT BEING ASOCIAL PIECE OF SHIT, AND LOOKING PAST SUPERFICIAL FEATURES OF A PERSON?

I get it, you are looking for a rule of thumb to choose people you socialize with, but why the fuck does this belong on /tg/?

It's one thing when you say "Game Designer X made a shitty decision designing his game, what a faggot!", and it's completely another thing when you say "Player X is being a piece of shit, what a faggot!".

Stop discussing people when we should be discussing games. This shit is what kills /tg/, slowly, but surely. I despise gossip-mongers.

Unless you have an entertaining storytime to share (which describe in-character interactions, rather than out-of-character most of the time), you shouldn't be posting this shit.
THERE IS NOTHING ENTERTAINING ABOUT THIS SORT OF THREADS.

tl;dr YOUR GROUP IS YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS. IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS PEOPLE INSTEAD OF GAMES, DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I'm out of this thread.
>>
>>46976837
Get the fuck out
>>
>>46976751
>don't you all have friends?
No.
>>
>>46976891
Only IRL Mary Sues graduate college at 22, and why would you hang out with them?
>>
>>46976904
Good luck finding four people who can name even a single philosopher.
>>
>>46978233
>Only IRL Mary Sues graduate college at 22
I've graduated uni at 20. Sue me.
>>
>>46977430
>letting the government decide your morals for you
>>
>>46978250
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who can't name at least one.
>>
>Wanting to smoke while in my home. If you must do it on the back porch, but I would prefer they do it on their own time and not game time (had a problem with a chain smoker slowing play before)
>Coming to play intoxicated in any manner that effects their play negatively (I don't care on what, but if it makes you unfun to play with then I do not want you.)
>Individuals overly obsessed with talking to me as the GM over others
>People who giggle to themselves at odd moments
>People who take too extreme of a position on any stance while at the table. I don't want to debate politics, religion, or other such topics in an angry way during play. Especially when someone can't separate in game and out of game.
>Inability to separate in game and out of game feelings.
>Believing failure in game means I'm out to get them.
>Some one upmanship is fine, but taking it to the point where one must ALWAYS be better hurts a game
>Asking to simply roll dice at things, or inability to speak in character (people who are too awkward to do so aren't the folks I want to play with or GM for)
>People who optimize outside the general level of the rest of the party/campaign
>People who can't handle character loss/negative occurrences during play
>Overly verbally abusive individuals. I've had people attempt to bully me as GM in order to get their way. They were a bunch of little shits.
>Overly meek individuals. This game is not a confidence building exercise, please do that on your own time.
>Devices are fine as long as you can also pay attention. If you prove otherwise then I don't want you using your device at the table.
>Overly apathetic individuals.

If you can not tell it is hard to find players.
>>
>>46975781
I don't know how exactly to put it, but I can pick up the little things that make someone unfit for my games after a quick chat.

Some telltale signs I'm looking out for is how much in love with his character someone is, how in touch with reality they seem and notice their reaction to some of my GM horror stories.

Although I noticed that if you make a simple list of "what your character would do" situations, the bad apples always answer either extremely genericaly or with the most unfathomable bullshit ever.
>>
>>46978233
>tfw graduating at 22.
I don't get it, college is not difficult. Only actual retards can't manage to graduate in four years. It's not as if I am in a fluff degree either, computer engineering is on the more rigorous side.
>>
>>46975809
FUCK Steve.
>>
>>46975809
>open rpol superhero highschool game
>check rules and homebrews
>"No matter how high you roll persuasion, the other player characters are not obliged to immediately bed you"
>couple posts further
>"Reminder that using mind powers on other students is considered uncool by the faculty"
>yet further down
>"Putting subtle on mind control won't necessarily stop them from noticing."
>close game
>>
Noisy people WHO JUST WON'T FUCKING LISTEN. Others deserve at least a chance.
>>
>>46976548
This. But actually being a foreverDM made me less annoying as a player. (I only ever get to play in one offs now)

For example, I know what bothers the fuck out of me as a DM, so I do my best to avoid doing all of those things if I ever get the chance to be a player.
>>
>>46975781
>severe autism
look for someone who cannot seperate normal life logic from fantasy logic. Someone who is overly trusting.

My one player ruined two campaigns, im still friends with the guy but i probably wont dm for him anymore.

he coulnt even fathom that anyone in a position of law enforcement in my setting could be corrupt or a dick. So he was killed by a police officer after he said he was a muffin. This was after a suicide bombing took place outside a muffin shop.

Truth be told he DID just spawn from a muffin due to god fuckery but thats besides the point, you dont go around calling yourself a muffin after a suicide bomb attack.

The second one he couldnt fathom that poor agrarian farmers could distrust outsiders and have poor logical skills.
It was in 2e cyrodil, and for some reason one of those farmers was an orc, it was a farm north of bravil. He was considered the village idiot who provided entertainement but still part of the village, he had a role to play in the community per se.

He decided he wanted to plant horses to make little "horslets" and planted the parties three horses face down ass up.
The next day that player got mad and murdered the orc in broad daylight.

He couldnt get it through hsi head that the village didnt care if he was in the right, they didnt want him killing one of "them". So they told him to leave or die.

He started arguing and then the village surrounded him, he ended up killing the entire village's pull of adult males leaving their children and families without a way to feed and defend themselves.

Then a group travelling with the party who where self described as "politically profound" in that they would do whatever they could to further their career decided to capture the player and turn him into the duke of bravil, in order to raise an army to attack the duke of skingrad

Player autismed out and even after giving himself a chance to save himself said no "because im picking on him"

gauge autism op.
>>
>>46975781
>all my players play magic the gathering
>90% of people in know who like games play magic the gathering
>I play magic the gathering
Well shit
>>
>>46977310
And they are completely uninterested in anything about the actual game they are joining.
And trying to shoehorn mechanics from other game, without consideration for how things work in this game.
And what >>46977426 says.
>>
>>46977393
I was kinda going to do that, but then I got four chill signups, one CN lolrandumb and one edgelord and decided fuck it, I'm not going to waste time.
(Note: both of them were offered soft advice on how to fix their characters. They declined. Then came the hard boot.)
>>
>>46977679
What >>46977754 said.
You can minmax the statblock that is attached to your character but you need to (role)play the character, not (roll)play the statblock without the character.
>>
>Christfaggotry
>Only have experience in DnD, only interested in playing DnD
>Cares about alignment, rigid morality
>Aggressively minmaxed, "Hmm, how I beat the shit out of people and bang hot chicks the best"
>Whines about XP
>Talks about shit his cbaracter will be able to, esp. combat related

This next one is about as big a red flag as you'll get

>Attempts to help "optimize" other PCs
>>
>>46976751
>Forever DM
>None of my friends want to DM
>Try D&D Encounters
>Full of newbies and murderhobos asking about my alignment and starting fights without getting the objective
>Was fun, but not THAT fun
>>
>>46975809
My DM is actually a pot smoker and he's run some of the best games I've ever played. He's also an author, though, so that might have something to do with ir.
>>
>Their character sheet doesn't contain a character. It contains a build.
>They insist on playing an evil character who won't help the party, instead following them around killing things, even other party members if there's nothing else to kill
>They don't write a name for their character
>They don't let the DM check their character sheet because it's "seekrit"

I was forever DM for a while, so the last one really shits me.
>>46980074
>>46976443
Fucking these, too. Holy shit.
>>
File: 1461529367856.jpg (11 KB, 198x328) Image search: [Google]
1461529367856.jpg
11 KB, 198x328
>>46976751
Those who make good friends are not necessarily those who make good GMs or players.

Period.
>>
>>46978174
People are the most important part of the game.
Chechmate.
>>
>>46979120
>gunned down for saying "I am a muffin"
>hunted down and sent to a noble's dungeon for defending himself and giving a little overzealous justice to a guy who murdered their horses
biggest faggot in the thread
>>
>>46979120
Reminds me of one of a few of my players. He consistently and repeatedly has difficulty grasping that playing a fantasy race in a fantasy setting does not mean that normal rules of personal interaction and common sense have ceased to apply.
For instance...
>'knocking' on somebody's door by hitting it repeatedly with a warhammer is considered aggressive and will provoke an aggressive response, and I don't care how many times you insist that it's how dwarves knock on doors... no it's fucking not. Not in this setting.
>Being physically thrown out of a temple for insulting, harassing, and disrupting the clerics is not an unreasonable response, especially after you have been asked to leave and you told them to make you.
>Refusing to read any sign or message not written in your racial language is not a racial trait your species has, stop pretending it is.
>>
>>46977460
I just need your age, if that wasn't a problem then when do we start?
>>
>>46976443
>if they go into excessive detail about their "build" before the game even starts, without any consideration for how and why the character came into their profession and learned their skills

>excessively negative reactions to bad rolls (see also: "Take 10 damage." "MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP AND DIE, THIS FIGHT'S IMPOSSIBLE, HE DOES TOO MUCH DAMAGE")

>obsessed with sex

Oh jesus this is my group right now...
>>
>>46977702
spoken like a player who doesn't actually want a challenge.
>>
>>46980074
>>Only have experience in DnD, only interested in playing DnD
>>Cares about alignment, rigid morality
>uses D&D alignments in non-D&D games
>>
>>46977512
Fuck, is this my group? I might be titcow man.
>>
>>46975907
Go back to /v/
>>
>>46980178
>They don't let the DM check their character sheet because it's "seekrit"

Do people do this?

I've been GMing for a year and a half now, some I'm still pretty new, but that just seems ridiculous. The GM isn't some opponent or adversary you to beat. The GM's meant to know your character's weaknesses, so that they can be played against you.
>>
>>46975907
Wow you're a fag. Bringing in "PC mustard race" bullshit into tabletop. You're a loser haha
>>
>>46976112
Agreed...Kevin on the other hand...he's a much more subvertive asshat.
>>
>>46975781
In my experience is not so much about weeding out people with specific traits, but more about avoiding traits that are incompatible. I'm flexible so I can often adapt to everything and enjoy DMing. The only general non-starters (and I can make exceptions) for me are:

-ERP players, since I'm not into DMing that and in my experience a lot of ERP players tend to be into it so much they transfer it to other genres. See other people in this group complaining about "people obsessed with sex".

-People who always plays the same kind of character (often a romanticized himself) from the same kind of genre. I dislike unflexible people in general.

-Couples. There's a lot of memes about girlfriends ruining game experience but, in my experience, that's not the problem. The problem is that nowadays young adult relationships are very unstable and often very short, and a break up always ruins (and possibly cancels) the campaign because that kind of shit turns people into children. Either he plays or she plays, but not both.
>>
>>46981078
>turning in character sheets
>not sending the kids and your wife to her mother's for the day so your retard buddies can stop by, polish off two cases of beer and open roll their characters
>not repeating this process at least one more time so those little faggots have a backup character when they get their dumb ass killed in the first 20 minutes of the session

Do you even play this game?

And for the record, I have a Steve and a Kevin in my group.
I'm Kevin
>>
>>46981497
I have a Kevin but no Steve in by group. I have a Peter though, and a Steve brother-in-law who played D&D when he had the time.
>>
Players that already have a 'build' in mind.
It's one thing to have a character concept, but if you're just hankering to dungeon crawl all day, oh boy are you in the wrong group.

That and anyone who thinks fake asian accents are funny.
>>
>>46975781
Ahead of time? Players that will actively make room to play within reason. If I'm planning three fucking weeks in advance and something not work-related comes up (sorry I told a friend I'd hang out) and you chose that over my game, don't bother coming back.
It's not that I can't handle players preferring something over my games, it's just a really helpful way to weed out the people who will never take the game seriously anyway.

Unfortunately that's the only filter I can think of that isn't obvious like "don't play with perverts or smelly people".
>>
File: 1450019088900.gif (2 MB, 244x201) Image search: [Google]
1450019088900.gif
2 MB, 244x201
>>46976751
I fucking wish I could play with randoms. My friends are complete faggots. One min-maxes, three are always absent for everything after character creation and of those three one always shows up high and leaves midgame to pass out. Playing with friends is like picking a handful of randoms without the freedom of filtering them out.
>>
Guys playing girls are fine, fuck one of the best characters I've seen was a girl. The problem I have is when they describe their character's body type beyond height and weight, i.e. boob size and hips. That's how you know you've got a That Guy on your hands.
>>
>>46980634
Of course it's you. Shape up.
>>
>>46981793
>The problem I have is when they describe their character's body type beyond height and weight,
>not also allowing a description of how their weight is distributed (pear, hourglass, etc.)
>>
File: idunno.jpg (175 KB, 442x550) Image search: [Google]
idunno.jpg
175 KB, 442x550
>>46981901
I'm just mentioning with patterns I've spotted. Without fail, every time a player starts describing his female PC's body shape he starts getting weird with the "lol my character flashes her tits at the innkeeper" stuff. From there it's only a matter of time before they try to fuck another PC.
>>
>>46980191
This, holy shit this.

Three of my friends are great, and create characters that work their way into the world in interesting ways, and a lot of the stories that have come about are due to player actions.

Then there's the quiet one, who just goes along with what everyone else is doing. There's that guy who is kind of an ass-hat and plays a set of stats. Then there's the one always on their phone and plays the same character every time. They aren't bad players, but I wouldn't keep inviting them back if I wasn't friends with them.

I'm considering running a smaller game with the three players who are good players, and making that the main campaign I run for the future, since running for six is getting overwhelming.
>>
>>46981953
Not him but fuck I'm seriously in the exact same situation, except my "stats" guy is another who just sits there and follows.
I'm planning out a small game between the three decent players right now.
>>
>>46978233
>22
Is this a joke?

University is easy if you aren't retarded. Plan out your schedule, do your work and if you're failing, suck some teacher cock you can finish in 4.
>>
>>46981646
I don't really get this, I think up "Builds" in terms of what class/subclass or whatever would be interesting to play and that goes along with my concept.

Is that bad?
>>
>>46975781
People with the following names are banned:
>Steve (all permutations thereof). Steves are creepers and tend to diddle children or molest women.
>Jeremy. You're a fucking RAWfag cunt trying to "win" a role playing game, get the fuck out.
>Mike (Michael, Mikey, and Mikes who are okay with being called either Michael or Mikey are okay, only those who insist on Mike are banned). All you do is spout autistic cancer you heard on the internet that got old five years ago and forget the fucking game's rules.
>Ryan. You're like is Mike had a hint of Steve added in.
>Chris. Just, fucking hell, who even willingly lets a Chris live to see adolescence.

I don't know why these names have always been tied to insufferable people. Even when I only learned a person's name after I had discovered how intolerably shit they were, nine times out of ten it's been one of these.
>>
>>46982104
What about Steven Lumpkin?
>>
>>46982103
I think he means players who cement themselves into a concrete build that doesn't feel organic or indicative of actual character growth, and focus on mechanics over fluff.

For example, you might have your character's overall leveling plan in mind, but what if there's a fluff-appropriate reason over the course of play for you to start changing that plan? Do you start doing something that might not be 100% optimized to reflect your character's fluxuating lifepath, or do you stay the course because "THESE ARE THE NUMBERS I PLANNED"?
>>
File: ..jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>46975907
>he didn't downgrade his PS3, turn it into a linux server and use it to hack the planet
>>
>>46982103
Nah, builds are autismal wizard 6/arcane trickster 3/warlock 5/etc. with 12 special feats planned out from level 1 to 20, with a list of magic items required by level X.

They tend to be restricted to 3.PF and, to a lesser extent, D&D 4e.
>>
>>46982125
Probably has a Kiddy Fiddly 9000 in his basement. Definitely gives off the vibe for it.
>>
>>46976495
There's also an official (free) Zendikar supplement for 5e now.
>>
> constantly talks when other people are talking
>>
>>46982103
How about this:
If playing a game was analogous to attending a birthday party for a friend, the guy he's complaining about would show up entirely to try out his new super-optimal icing-scraping spoon. Then when the time comes for cake he'd scrape nearly all the icing off the whole thing while everyone else watches in disgust.

Shut up I'm great at analogies.
>>
>>46976665
I feel you, brother.

>absolutely no exposition or descriptions
>when I ask "okay, sure we're approaching the castle. What does it look like?" I am met with an awkward silence and blank stare
>combat is literally empty rooms with monsters which either "uhm hit you for...7 damage" or "aand he misses"
>pinnacle of his skills is trying to do cringe-worthy voices and "English accent"
>all that aside, I am stuck trying to roleplay as one singular entity amidst other people who do nothing but throw dice and commend how awesome and epic this all is

Being a Forever GM is not a curse - it's a hidden blessing.
>>
>>46982104
Your Ryans are weird. Where I'm from they're basically like this guy's describing:
>>46981646
Also let's have a moment to appreciate the complete lack of Gabes from this hobby.
>>
>>46979120
>suicide bomber muffin men
>retarded orc trying to make horse trees
>games with these things in them having super serious thought out consequences

You're not a bastion of sound thinking yourself.
>>
File: 1447752682766.jpg (256 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447752682766.jpg
256 KB, 1920x1080
>>46982275
I only wish I could find more Brians and Johns. I don't know why they're so based.
>>
>>46979120
>So he was killed by a police officer after he said he was a muffin. This was after a suicide bombing took place outside a muffin shop.
>Truth be told he DID just spawn from a muffin due to god fuckery but thats besides the point
>and for some reason one of those farmers was an orc, it was a farm north of bravil. He was considered the village idiot who provided entertainement but still part of the village, he had a role to play in the community per se.
>He decided he wanted to plant horses to make little "horslets" and planted the parties three horses face down ass up.

Is this supposed to be a trick question, and you're actually the autistic one?
>>
They play a wizard. That's literally all you need.
>>
>>46979120
>Trusting is a bad trait

>So he was killed by a police officer after he said he was a muffin.
>Truth be told he DID just spawn from a muffin

>He decided he wanted to plant horses to make little "horslets" and planted the parties three horses face down ass up.

Man I don't know how to break this to you but I think you may be part of the problem.
>>
>>46982332
It really hurts me to see so many groups turned off wizards by overpowered garbage players stealing all the action.
>>
>>46980220
>Refusing to read any sign or message not written in your racial language is not a racial trait your species has, stop pretending it is.

It's a racial trait for quebec.
>>
>>46979200
I think the issue is not playing MtG but being a massive spike at it.

These people, with rare exception, are utter fuckwits, at least from my experience.
>A guy literally started screaming and badmouthing the judge and the shop owner when I lucked out and beat his super optimised Tier 1 infect with my lousy, sub-optimal and budget affinity ONCE
>>
>>46976891
I'm gonna contend this, I've been running games for kids for several years now. Like 13-17. The worst players I've ever had have all been over 30.
>>
>>46980220
You've never met a French tourist or Korean born immigrant, I see.
>>
File: 1454311080845.png (553 KB, 804x872) Image search: [Google]
1454311080845.png
553 KB, 804x872
>>46982386
>A guy literally started screaming and badmouthing the judge and the shop owner when I lucked out and beat his super optimised Tier 1 infect with my lousy, sub-optimal and budget affinity ONCE
Why does it feel so good to make that kind of person angry?
>>
>>46982408
Because they deserve it, and that makes it fun.

Nobody awesome likes making the cool guy who's chill and just wants to have fun with you mad.
>>
>>46982408
>>46982403
Why isn't there a Pacha edit of Jace with lightning arcing between his hands?
>>
File: 1461802529982.jpg (166 KB, 927x859) Image search: [Google]
1461802529982.jpg
166 KB, 927x859
>>46982408
The funniest thing? I didn't even win the fucking match. He stomped me game 1, because let's be honest, I stood no chance, but game 2 I had an amazing hand and he mulliganed to 5. Yet the fact that it wasn't a 2-0 almost gave him an aneurysm.

How the fuck do game shops tolerate people like this? I know for a fact that it wasn't the only time he was acting like a twit.
>A casual commander game, that guy places on a table next to mine.
>See some guy wombo-combo himself into almost a win but be left with 3 cards in his library
>The guy says "lol would be nice if you could mill him"
>A new guy at the shop actually does have Glimpse the Unthinkable and wins by milling
>The shop awards him a promo
>The fucktard gets extremely salty and rants for half an hour how it was his idea and the new guy didn't deserve that promo
>>
>>46979120
So, as a GM, you have decided to make a game in which
>gods make players spawn from muffins >policeman kills somebody for claiming to be a muffin
>town idiot orcs go around stealing players' horses to plant them
>literally every able-bodied male in town give their life to avenge the fallen idiot
I don't think you have much of a right to criticize players for being unrealistic about the consequences of their actions.
>>
>>46982479
>How the fuck do game shops tolerate people like this?
Money. Paying customers are, unfortunately, able to get away with a lot. And in the FLGs market, you have to let them get away with A LOT before it stops being a profit killer to sacrifice them.

Believe me, most store owners would kick these fags out in an instant if they didn't need every paying customer they could get.
>>
>>46975781
attention span

If i'm gonna waste my time trying to entertain a group of people every week I'm not going to have people who I know will walk away from their desk and do other shit in their apartment.
the worst possible thing is people who multitask during games, and whatever they're multitasking with is what controls the severity
dogsitting? sure thats fine its not even an issue
cooking? sure thats fine as long as you're in the same room as your computer and you can hear whats going on.
writing a term paper? no thats important and all but you could have been doing this when you didn't have plans
playing league of legends? kicked out without so much as a warning.
>>
Explain ahead of time that there will be no phones at the table, and characters are expected to have background together.
They filter themselves.
>>
>>46981646
You don't rike fake Asian accents?
>>
>>46981646
>That and anyone who thinks fake asian accents are funny.
I'm entirely with you here, just on all shitty fake accents. Like, one off, fine. An impression, fine.
4 hours of the worst fucking hans and frans german accent ever. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>46978233
What? Out of highschool at 18, four years later for a BA at 22.

Is that not the norm?
>>
>>46975828
>skinny dipping party in boiling nacho cheese

Say that I have died a warrior's death and take me to Valhalla upon a rainbow bridge, O Beautiful Valkyrie
>>
>>46982398
>13 to 17
>kids

Those aren't kids. Those are people who's brains are developing at a rapid rate which causes behavioural changes.
>>
>>46982800
By my standards. Kids. Once you reach 35 you stop really seeing anyone under the age of 18 as anything other than kids. It's bad of me I know. But I just can't see them any other way.
>>
>>46976837
What is Exalted?
>>
>>46978174
Wow you must be lonely to get THAT angry at a post ABOUT TABLETOP RPG's, ya know LIKE THE KIND THAT PEOPLE GO HERE TO POST ABOUT.
>>
>>46980610
Yeah that's another cancer
>>
>>46976174
What's Vorthis?
>>
>>46978174
>choosing players to play a traditional game with
>nothing to do with a traditional game

pick one
>>
>>46977310
If they like that game why not go play it instead of wasting everyone else's time?
>>
>>46978233
Buddy, I have a PhD and I'm only 24.
>>
>Mid-Western American that plays DnD on the reg
>>
>>46977355
Not that anon but for /pol/ I believe in equality at my table and in general, so I am not a fan of hateful speech.
>>
>>46976665
Maybe you should stop being such a judgmental prick and gave the poor bastard a chance seeing as it's their first time. Hell, I DM for my once ForeverDM and I'm always nervous I'm doing something he doesn't agree with and is silently judging me. We can't all be as perfect as you, faggot.
>>
>>46975809
Fuck Steve though.
>>
>>46977430
Ahh, you're one of those cretins who spent his whole life playing by the book cause you were too spineless to defy your parents. You're life must be a lot of fun, huh?
>>
>>46975781
Jesus it sounds like half you fuckers have WAY to high of standards for players. Yeah I agree with a ton of shit on here, but a lot of the other stuff is just plan childish. It's a make-believe game for fuck's sake, not a god damn interview.
>>
>>46977114
Thats pretty reasonable.
>>
I've seen people propose the pub test - anyone who refuses to go for a beer with you is unsuitable, but I propose a new standard - the Hooters test.

This weeds out:
>guys who are creepy around women
>feminazis
>girls who hate other girls
>people with zero social skills
>people who are unamerican
>>
>>46984894
Exactly what I was gonna post. I play with my friends and each of them have their problems as players and DMs. Part of being an adult is looking past these things and enjoying the game.

/tg/ would rather spend all their time searching for a group of snowflakes just like them than play with diversity. Its the differences between group members that sets up great rp moments and fun times
>>
>>46983586
That dude has been posting a variation on this >>46978174 post in every thread I've seen today that's not a game mechanics discussion.

Don't think it's pasta since they're all different but they all boil down to:

>YOU MENTIONED AN IRL HUMAN ON A GAME BOARD, GET THE HELL OFF MY FORUM.
>FOR EVEN BEING INTERESTED IN ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS OUT OF CHARACTER YOU SHOULD GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HOBBY.

And it always ends with "I'm out of this thread"

I know we joke about autism a lot, but this guy is the first one that's actually made me wonder if there's real autism factoring in. That or he's desperate to bait people and doesn't realize most people will ignore it if it's too far past the border of crazyland.
>>
>>46984987
>I've seen people propose the pub test

ITT or in general? Because I feel like this is an unconscious benchmark I've developed.

Going for a few pints before or after a session is definitely one of the best ways to improve your games. Not to get drunk, it's just a more relaxed environment where you don't have to worry about putting on a good game, you can discuss how the campaign is going in a casual, round-table way, everyone can chat about other things, people bond, etc.
>>
>>46977355
If you're rambling like a /pol/tard, you're either a child or a retard.

Neither of which make for good players.
>>
>>46985093
In general. If someone isn't prepared to meet you in a social situation, you shouldn't invite them to your house.

Some people on here sperg out about the alcohol thing, but honestly there's nothing stopping them from buying a coke.
>>
>>46976904
This is the point where they answer "Socrates" or I immediately shun them.
>>
>>46985179

>player names an obscure philosopher whose work you aren't familiar with
>game is put on hold indefinitely so you can pore over a thousand-page tome in epistemology to figure out whether this guy's an asshole or not
>>
>>46985166
Yeah, I'm fine with people who don't drink.

But I have had players flat out REFUSE to join us at the pub or play with us if we drink. There's nothing more depressing than having beers in the fridge and five players who want a few drinks and to have a laugh, but that sixth player forbids it for everyone.

I've seen this sort of thing happen with vegetarians too. We're allowed to order pizza, as long as we don't eat meat in the same room as them.
>>
>>46980220
>current year
>not having xenophobic racist dwarves in your setting
Plebs detected.
>>
>>46985349
Based Pyrrho.
>>
>>46985179
What if they answer 'Descartes' and give you a cheeky grin?
>>
>>46984987
>unamerican
The world isn't divided into "Americans" and "Unamericans" faggot
>>
File: 1461231503167.gif (1 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1461231503167.gif
1 MB, 250x141
>>46975809
>overt fixation of mind control powers.
Yes
>weed users
Kinda sucks that o live in a state that has that, bit hit or miss
>console gamers
Bait
>people without post-secoundary education
Taste
>Steve
Got a problem with guys named Steve, Craig?
>>46975781
>wants to play shit alignments, or be a contrairian basedon the party
>wants a weird familiar, pet, whatever.
>asks about poison prices or assassination prices
>Meta games the module.
>>
>>46985406

It's odd that the word "memes" has only appeared once in this thread, and not in the context I expected.

Memers can get out of my group. Save it for the post-game rants on /tg/.
>>
>>46985362

>But I have had players flat out REFUSE to join us at the pub or play with us if we drink.

That seems pretty reasonable if they are a recovering alcoholic. You wouldn't want to go into a place that is a constant temptation to you. It would be unreasonably stressful and more likely to make them fall off the wagon.
>>
>>46975781
I don't invite players to my games if I don't already know them.

Last time I had someone at my table that I wasn't already friends with was something like five years ago, and it went badly.
>>
>>46985458

>Who's your favorite philosopher?
>Richard Dawkins. Not only did he coin the term meme, his anti-religious advocacy has - anon, where are you going? Anon, I was just barely started with my five-hour speech about the evils of religion!
>>
>>46985551
Jesus Christ, I'm agnostic but even I hate those pikies.
>>
>>46975841
I agree with most of this, but somewhere around 90-95% (I would postulate) of the people on the Internet don't use capitalisation and other components of proper sentence structure in casual "conversation" over texts/Steam/Skype/Discord/whatever. It's an unreasonably broad range of people to form a bias against, even if you find it annoying for whatever reason.
>>
>>46985462
It's always been the opposite for me. Someone who doesn't drink, therefore nobody else can. I'd get it if alcoholism runs in their family or has otherwise affected them in a negative way, but it's usually a holier-than-thou "I haven't drank at all for the past _ years, and neither should you!" attitude.

I get it if it's a serious problem, but if it's a personal decision or a petty grievance then I'd rather one person feel awkward than five. Unfortunately, people are too polite when it comes to this stuff. Put the booze away, don't eat meat, and remember that racism is a trigger in this group.
>>
>>46985576

I used to work with one of those types. In a casual conversation I let it slip that I'm an atheist as well and had to hear about Dawkins and all those Capital-A Atheist types every shift until I was finally transferred to a new department. By the end I was thinking of re-embracing faith out of spite.
>>
>>46985633
>I get it if it's a serious problem, but if it's a personal decision or a petty grievance then I'd rather one person feel awkward than five.

Yeah, I'm just really not a fan of the whole Pub Test as a concept due to...well, not being a drinker myself for what I'd like to think are reasonable reasons.

I have a brother who's a non-functional alcoholic and a father who's got Korsakoff due to his own heavy drinking. He's killed his ability to remember who any of his children are due to that much alcohol. At this point, I really couldn't handle a 'Go to the pub for drinks' test. It's not the sort of place that puts me in a sociable mood or wanting to play games. I just tend to turn into a miserable bastard around drinking despite my best efforts and that's no fun for anyone.

'Hang out' seems reasonable. Not quite so much 'Go drinking'. But then, this ties into personal issues.
>>
>>46978274
Naming one isn't the same as having a favorite though.
>>
File: 64536545656.jpg (44 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
64536545656.jpg
44 KB, 720x405
>mfw live in Forestinton, city of bumfuckingnowheretingon
>entire country has less people than some big cities in the states
>all players (2 or 5 at max) are my childhood friends
>they don't really have time to play anymore
>play maybe twice a year
>try roll20 with randoms few times
>feel like you would rather eat glass than play with random autists
>people in this thread are dropping of people because they didn't like their the shirt
>die a little inside
>>
>>46985906
meant to type t-shirt but oh well
>>
>>46985739
Well of course that's understandable. It can be difficult to talk about these things, but assuming you're all reasonable adults then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Same goes for triggering content. If you've been personally affected by rape and don't want it in the game, that's perfectly reasonable. But if you want racism (including fantasy racism) banned from the game because you simply don't like racism, then you can find another group.
>>
>>46985669
>I was thinking of re-embracing my faith out of spite.
I wouldn't do that, just because that defeats the purpose of having faith.
But dealing with extremists in any faith or lack thereof. I don't know how many times I got the who spiel about fire and brimstone about playing D&D and being a Methodist. Or talking to JW and radical LDS
>>
>>46984597
Only equality of uppertonity, never true equality pleb.
>>
>>46986297
>uppertonity
What the fuck? Opportunity? Like the opportunity to go to school and not be an illiterate dumbfuck that you evidently didn't get?
>>
File: laughing moeblobs.gif (2 MB, 1920x1070) Image search: [Google]
laughing moeblobs.gif
2 MB, 1920x1070
>>46985929
>actually taking Muh Triggers seriously
Get out
>>
>>46981078
I don't let other players look at my character sheet because my character had a secret but I've gone over it with the DM. Coincidentally the GM doesn't collect my character sheet because it's on my phone
>>
>>46986349
Not everyone wants certain shit in their game.
In a game that I ran, I pulled everyone aside singly, told them that a number of serious things may come up in the game, and they had the right to say if they weren't comfortable with some of them.
The GM should respect their players, and most games don't NEED certain themes or events to take place in them. That said, obvious shit worn on the tin should have been realized. I run a lot of WoD, and my games tend to be heavy on "bad shit happens, but especially to you and yours". Some things will occur by rote, but I respect all my players enough to not push lines better left uncross. I can unsettle them in other ways, like using their fears, or better, using their kinks.
>>
>>46986632
>I can unsettle them in other ways, like using their fears, or better, using their kinks.

How do you unsettle people by using their kinks? Unless it's just fun to watch them get flustered and for everyone to realize Jerry's getting an awkward boner from the vampire who keeps threatening to pop a balloon.
>>
>>46986349
Avoid the Tumblr terminology (it pre-dates Tumblr by decades, but whatever) and it makes sense.

It's just about being a decent person and respecting that some people might find some subjects uncomfortable.
>>
>>46986661
By taking it, and making it WRONG, especially when it is happening to them.
Example, one of my players is in to lolicon. He ran into a child vampire, who he didn't know was a vampire AT FIRST.
One of the girls is into brother/sister, that took some work, but I had her leave the table dry heaving.
Another girl had a crush on me. Cue an npc that is very much like me getting close, then breaking her heart utterly. I even handwrote a Dear Jane letter for her as a prop. She wept openly at the table.
>>
>>46986720
That's awesomely fucked up, especially since you did it at the tabletop and not online.

I can't imagine a player openly admitting they're into lolicon face-to-face, let alone it being a significant element in a role-playing game. What happened?

Of course I'm only 20% sure anything you said actually happened. This is /tg/, after all.
>>
>>46986798
Eh, in my close friend-circle, we're fairly open about our kinks and shit, its just the sort of shit that comes up when you get a few too many beers deep over the year, and once it's out there, hell, why deny it?
I'm into bro/sis shit, my buddy is into loli shit, another one is really into BDSM, another one really really likes roleplaying as a girl.
That being said, I can't imagine a game where we actually used these as plot points, but they're not really secrets among us.
>>
File: 1460590115963.gif (4 MB, 639x478) Image search: [Google]
1460590115963.gif
4 MB, 639x478
>>46986798
No one needs to believe a thing, honestly, I know what I did.
The guy is a close friend of mine, his gf outed him one night while we were drinking. Only one other person at the table knows it besides me.
It really comes down to knowing how to tug the strings, then rip them apart, and being able to speak it the right way. I felt a little bad for the guy because of how... eagerly he went for it.
>>46986896
This. There is only one guy in the group that I don't know about.
Oh man, if they knew my LAUNDRY list of kinks and fetishes, they could roll me.
>>
>>46986939
that button is asking to be pressed and anyone who doesn't press it is a faggot
>>
>>46986698
This.
You never know when your vet buddy will who plays has an episode, because that goblin ate a fucking baby.
Course tough subject are never fun to deal with, even when you try to be am adult about it.
>>
>>46982332
Stop playing D&D
>>
File: He's got a biter.jpg (37 KB, 1100x343) Image search: [Google]
He's got a biter.jpg
37 KB, 1100x343
>>46976837
>>
>>46976904
What if I tell you it's Lord Byron?
>>
>>46976904
Voltaire.

What now?
>>
>Vets
>Stoners
>Gun nuts
>Muh nuclear family social Marxisms

The US seems like a worse place to be every single time it's mentioned.
>>
>>46976904
C. G. Jung. What now?
You're talking to roleplayers, who're mainly made up of pocket-philosophers, pseudo-intellectuals, misfits and edgemasters. If you're really going to disqualify people if they choose something edgy, you're going to have to look a long time for a group.
>>
>>46978233
I take it that you don't like being reminded of the fact you're mentally deficient, huh?
>>
>>46980074
Hey man, Christfags play the best paladins.
>That wonderful balance between good samaritan and dutiful knight
>First one to step up to a challenge, but never charges in blindly
>Last one out of the fight, but makes sure to not waste himself on a useless self-sacrifice
>Never falters in willpower, but will always help the lesser man
You just can't get better than that.
>>
>>46977102
Most self-proclaimed Nietzsche fans have, like his sister, not properly read or understood his work and interpreted as some /pol/-tier justification for being an arse to other people
>>
>>46987533
You're scared of vets? Are you a dog?
>>
>>46987619
You are either lucky or I am unlucky.
I have had several loud christian players that played paladins as "my way or the highway" leaders. I have had 3, all fought with the team if we did not charge into battle at the earliest opportunity. Claimed being on a mission from god gave them authority over the rest of the group and declared anything that they disagreed with as detecting as evil regardless of what the gm said. Last but not least they all got kicked out when starting drama over the game.

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" then attacked the sorceress in the group. The other three members ganged up and took him down. "I'm just playing my character, why did you fight me?"
"We are just playing our characters."
He then left claiming better things to do. We stopped inviting him when he kept talking shit the next few days.

" Let's sneak around back and try to get the jump on them." one of the party members said. His response "Only cowards do not face the enemy directly, those without honor should be punished" He ran off to fight, the team did not follow but went around back. He got out numbered and killed. He then flipped the dice tray over and the gm kicked him out of the house.

After a fight with some bandits that the paladin was entirely fine with killing out right. One of the players went to pick up a sword and was immediately struck down with a crit by the paladin who claimed the crit proved he was right in doing so. There was some in character talk then they said they were going to leave him behind. When they started walking away he attacked one of them and I as the gm made him fall on spot for attacking an innocent. He then stood up so fast he knocked the chair and his drink over and started shouting. He was then kicked from the group and we did not see or hear from him for more than a year.
>>
>>46987981
Did anything interesting happen after the year-long absence?
>>
>>46975954
You don't know what the word juxtaposed means. Stop using it.
>>
>>46988414
He got type 2 diabetes and a hamwhale gf. They rarely leave their apartment. Met a friend of theirs at a flgs.
>>
>>46976751
I live in the middle of South Dakota. There is no one to play with.
>>
>>46983333
The people who care about the worlds/characters/lore in general more than the game itself (though of course still play, though usually not in tournaments).
>>
File: 1240040672290.jpg (178 KB, 640x496) Image search: [Google]
1240040672290.jpg
178 KB, 640x496
Considering I just play with my friends I don't really know how I'd filter randoms, but I guess I'd just try to make sure the whole group is compatible. Really, it'd just end up being anyone who breaks group cohesion gets booted.

Maybe filter out any "hope is an illusion and all is lost" nutcases, too. Enough of that at the table for everyone already.
>>
>>46987981
Yeesh, Lawful Stupid paladins suck balls. Especially when the guy playing it is an ass.
Also, if it is any consultation, assholes are assholes, no mater what they believe.
>>
>>46975907
Or they got a console as a gift. Or they have one to stay connected and play with old friends.
>>
>>46989195
>assholes are assholes, no mater what they believe.

This is true. One other trouble player in the group pulled the "I'm just in character" stunt when he tried to kill a noble because " If you kill a noble your take their place" and was stuck down by the team and a couple of body guards.
>>
>>46977142
drunk dnd is the best though :/
>>
>>46977142
>dont shit on my living room floor
Are we just going to ignore story time?
>>
>>46977326
Note he specified degenerate stoner. Not drinking until drunk or getting stoned at a session isn't 'next level' it's called not being fucking degenerate. Get high on your own time, high people are a pain in the ass to play with.
>>
>>46975809
>people without post-secondary education

>mfw education elitists on 4chan
>mfw people actually believe education is tied to intelligence
>mfw he fell for the college scam
>2016
>>
>>46990690
The scam is that degrees aren't important, its how you use the skills in real life.
Also
>current year
>still using the "current year"meme.
>>
>>46981497
I had a group with a Kevin. He was pretty based. The whole group was, really. I should see if I can start a game with that group again sometime, my current one is absolutely shit.
>>
>>46982104
I'd be a little apprehensive about playing with an Ethan. They're usually stoners, as in not 'sometimes I get high' more 'smoking weed is my lifestyle'.
>>
>>46985439
Yes it is. You will always be able to separate a series into X and not X.
>>
>>46975954
>not simply advising the player to take cleave
I'm interested what kind of other things you could possibly have seen players try to carry over from Dark Souls though.

>>46988514
Caught that myself. Have to agree.
>>
File: 1367301558507.jpg (73 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
1367301558507.jpg
73 KB, 524x468
>>46976976
Sometimes I worry if I'm that guy due to my habit of referencing Jojo and 40k but then I remember that the people I play with don't mind and actually enjoy it when a I makes a reference to some nerd shit like that
>>
>>46982275
>complete lack of Gabes
Sorry pal, I brought one in.
>>
>>46982104
You're scarily spot-on on the Mike.
We have a guy by the name of Mike in our group (not a nickname - his birth name is Mike), who does indeed spout autismal Facebook memes, look at his phone the entire game and never, ever even try to remember the rules.
He's a nice guy to hang out with, since he never gets angry or even perturbed, but other than that he's That Guy. He can't stay serious for shit, barely roleplays, forgets the rules and makes hugely off-color jokes, and his place is a nightmare.
Towers of dishes in the kitchen sink the height of a grown man, covered with multicolored food remnants. A thin film of grease on everything in the kitchen. A pervasive smell of sour milk, stale sweat and old clothes. A fridge containing unnerving pink stains that never seem to come off. The floor has been home to something we called the Black Milk.
It's equal measures fascinating (for the same reason you play Call of Cthulhu) and just plain disgusting.
>>
I find my sessions roll more smoothly when I'm some kind of baked. I'm much more willing to skip past looking up insignificant numbers, obscure rules, etc and just wing what happens (within reason), whereas sober I often interrupt flow checking math, distances, resistances, etc. My characters are somewhat improved - dialogue flows more naturally, at the cost of occasionally sounding confused. Where it didn't help was Roll20 technical issues, never using their built in VoIP trash again.

Drunk, shit just gets a little more over-the-top. Crazy suggestions are more likely to fly, results get a little fudged to keep momentum going and kill enemies before they outstay their welcome, I generally curse more and have more fun.

Drunk players, in my experience, tend to be a bit more murderhoboey, but it's more fun because everyone's going ahead with it, especially if you're drunk enough to roll with it. Though any frustrations among the group get amplified, especially if someone hates murderhoboing.

Stoned players have been hit and miss. I've had completely vacant players that become passive as sheep and get startled by their turn each round, and I've had players that are just a bit calmer and more amused. If I had a table full of people I knew could hold their own I wouldn't have any apprehensions about it, but of course randoms or new players aren't so trustworthy.

Naturally, if you or your party can't handle substances, psychologically or otherwise, that shit should be right out.
>>
>>46976751
This
>>
>>46975809
Fuck steve.
>>
File: image.jpg (238 KB, 736x1231) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
238 KB, 736x1231
>>46976751
>he likes his his friends
Fucking normal detected
>>
>>46981768
Jesus christ this.
>have the most insufferable players ever
>impossible to find a time
>find a time suddenly a day in advance
>don't have all my shit, but as soon as I get home from session i'm playing in with a better group organise shit, get cool encounter ready
>in the morning player tells me he doesn't have his character sheet, it's okay he is in jail atm and he offers to play the enemy of the session, was actually going to try to play a session without him just to get him out of jail
>leave for session, grab new dice because don't have all mine on me, have to provide for the group because nobody has dice, I always provide
>one player has a custom figure, but nobody has fucking dice
>halfway to session with dice, player says he has an event on he didn't realise
>people decide they shouldn't just play his character, so the session is cancelled
>get home, they start planning a session
>can't understand why I refuse to run a session on nights before classes
Then there are their problems in game.
>one constantly looks at memes, disrupts games by showing other people memes
>one doesn't really get into character, does retarded shit that no human would do
>trying to play his skyrim character despite the differences in a video game that is solo and a tabletop game played with a group, also setting
>last player actually decently gets into character, but the other players are constantly shitting on him as part of their character other then skyrimfag
>can't really filter the group because they're my friends and they asked me to run a game
I should just drop them all and get a gamefinder/roll20 group that I can filter the faggots out of.
>>
>>46976779

> he has a girlfriend
> you don't

yeah, he sounds like a real loser.
>>
>>46976904
What if I said Zhuangzi?
>>
>>46988704
How do you have internet?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.