[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: AK_7.jpg (174 KB, 620x451) Image search: [Google]
AK_7.jpg
174 KB, 620x451
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
>>46953529 (Don't bring the memes over)

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Addiction Edition
How have your characters interacted with addiction recently? (pic related, my cleric, high on god)

Andrew: fuck off.
>>
>>46965004
>Addiction Edition
I'm addicted to alignment discussions.
>How have your characters interacted with addiction recently? (pic related, my cleric, high on god)
What a coincidence, my Paladin is also addicted to God and doing Goodness. This is very tricky when playing with a total alignment system!
>>
I've mostly avoided them.

I've got a few addictive substances statted out for my homebrew but I'm not sure about an addiction system yet. I've thought about a con/wis check after X uses (with disadvantage when you double) and unrecoverable exhaustion for a week or two if you go cold turkey after failing the Con/Wis save.
>>
>>46965004
When will the official 9gag approved meme list bee included in the general's copy pasta?
>>
>>46965009

>He plays a gnome and I kid you not, he plays a complete child. I mean he is supposed to be like 40 or 50 years old and he acts like a child (because he has always been in the forest, so everything he sees in civilization is new) and it's ok RP like but omg it gets so annoying. He also spends a lot of RP time doing woodworking and animal caressing and stuff.

Okay...I don't see the problem.

>He made jokes about how the other guy was a child and was sometimes a dick to him

So...there was a dude who could transform into snakes and bears and call upon the forces of nature...and he was just a swell, happy guy doing this...and your character decided that it was a good idea to continuously bait him.

Yeah no. You maybe didn't deserve to die, but I don't have any pity for you. Dumb life choices lead to consequences in D&D just as in real life.

The DM should have put a stop to it, but this is your own damn fault otherwise.
>>
>>46965004
It's been years since I've had addiction play prominently into any D&D plotlines I've run or played in. Last time it was in the form of a cult that had corrupted the lotus flowers used by local nobility as a way to gain leverage on the local polity. The corrupted petals didn't do anything more harmful than the normal ones, they just made the normal ones unsatisfactory, forcing the junkie aristocrats to deal with the cult to get their fix. Monopolies are a bitch, yo.
>>
>>46965106
At this point, it might make the OP exceed the character limit.

I've got to add

"shield bashing with a spiked shield", and "alignment systems" just from the last thread. You know, those topics sure to cause a riotous good time.
>>
>>46965106
When there's no 40k threads on tg
>>
My character has been killed by another player character, a very friendly nature druid.

Our DM is kind of benefiting him. I was fighter and to drop my shield on the floor he wanted a full action for it. A FULL ACTION to drop it on the floor. I couldn't keep my greatsword on my back etc. But when it's a spell he accepts anything.

So please, what is the most OP class/race right now (counting splatbooks)? We are level 7. What would be truly the most OP right now?
>>
>>46965157
Leave instead of putting up with That Guys and a pussy-ass DM. Christ, anon, don't turn into That Guy to thwart another That Guy.
>>
Thoughts on a variant human that helps to give humans a stronger racial identify as something along the lines of Federation humans? That we survive by coming together, a level of faith in the community that seems baffling to non-dwarven races, and some of the best diplomats and leaders due to this ability to place faith in friends and strangers.

>+2 Cha, +1 Int
>Can take the Help action as a bonus action on your turn
>Proficiency in Insight and Persuasion
>Advantage on saving throws against being Charmed
>>
>>46965188
okay but are all the humans of that subrace actually going to act like that
because if you introduce Federation humans i'd expect to see a Federation
>>
>>46965188
>Can take the Help action as a bonus action on your turn
Try not to copy class features (in this case, the Mastermind Rogue's main feature) for racials.
>>
File: Maxdillonoscorp.jpg (119 KB, 1280x730) Image search: [Google]
Maxdillonoscorp.jpg
119 KB, 1280x730
>>46965077

>I've found that a lot of people who dislike the alignment system are also the types who don't think there could possibly be people like the Joker or real-world psychopaths.

Which confuses me because there verifiably are. Son of Sam much?

I wonder if these people are the same reason why I'm not getting a Sinister Six movie. and Amazing Spider-Man 3 movie. One of the reasons ASM 2 failed (despite making shit-tons of money) was that people complained about Electro's character. Specifically that they didn't feel there was a "reason" for Electro to become evil.

They seem to have completely missed all of his establishing character moments heavily emphasizing that the guy was honestly mentally disturbed. I *loved* Electro as a villain because he feels like the first time Hollywood gave us a "crazy" villain that was shown to be genuinely crazy and have genuine mental health problems.

...damnit I wanted a Sinister Six movie...
>>
>>46965186
No no, I don't want to That Guy. I just want the best class/race for stats because my DM is just random punishing.

The character will be well built with good RP and story. It's just for the stats part.
>>
Do all shields give a flat +2 AC? It seems kind of weird that a wooden buckler offers the same protection as a metal tower shield
>>
>>46965256
>Do all shields give a flat +2 AC?
Yes, unless they're magical.
>>
>>46965241
SEE >>46965127
>>
>>46965004
>serra ascendant isn't a lady monk with a weird hammer-head headpiece
aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
>>
>>46965214
Technically not a direct copy, as the Mastermind gets an expanded range on the Help.

>>46965204
Actually, they are. The subrace is more or less for the agrarian state of theocratic farmers that were recently anal-reamed by the ruthless arcanists next door. The large majority of them were 'relocated' by said arcanists in the wake of conquering their state in order to help diminish the chance of a rebellion, and these resettled individuals ended up in more or less unspoiled lands to the West where they managed to end up negotiating a new federation between themselves and some of the more peaceful elven tribes. So I guess Wild West Federation is pretty fitting way of describing them.

>>46965256
Yup. Used to, you had your +1 Bucklers, various other shields, with Tower Shields requiring proficiency, but 5E just lumped them all together. Besides, aside from description, why would you ever take an option that is simply worse than the alternative?
>>
>>46965256
>metal shields

heh.
>>
>>46965256
The standard shield is also not really a wooden buckler.
>>
>>46965309
>Besides, aside from description, why would you ever take an option that is simply worse than the alternative?

Class proficiency, I guess. That's how I'd do it. Say there are Small (+1), Medium (+2), and large (+3) shields.

- Monk, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard have no no shield proficiency.
- Bard and Rogue are proficient with small shields.
- Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, and Ranger are proficient with small and medium shields.
- Fighter and Paladin are proficient with small, medium, and large shields.
>>
>>46965127
Oh yeah and I don't have pity for myself.
It was funny and I like rolling a new character, a fresh start.
>>
File: index.jpg (330 KB, 1875x523) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
330 KB, 1875x523
Here are the mythics I'm considering. I'm sure that some of them are too powerful. I want them to mostly be permanent improvements to the character that draws the inspiration card. I'll probably tone down demonic pact. I'm also not sure what to do with the green one. +2 to con seems great, but also kind of lame to get.
>>
Is a Dex Barb viable?

If not is there a homebrew that makes a dex barb viable?
>>
>>46965421
Depends on your definition of "viable." Several Barbarian class features can be seen as either taking full advantage of a good Strength attribute or as covering for a not-so-great Strength attribute.
>>
File: necromancer.jpg (43 KB, 292x535) Image search: [Google]
necromancer.jpg
43 KB, 292x535
Where do warlocks excels? Are they just a ranged magic blaster? It seems like they get a solid amount of enchantment and illusion abilities too. Are they essentially the magical sniper spies of the game?
>>
>>46965157
Aquatic Half-elf swashbuckler with a one level dip into dragon sorc.
>>
>>46965486
A class that only needs 2 class levels to be good at damage, and can spend the rest of their class features on utility or fun shit.

They're generalists that way.
>>
>>46965486
They're what Sorcerers always wanted to be but couldn't manage because they were still limited by spell slots.
>suave magical motherfucker who blows shit up F O R E V E R
>>
>>46965379
And now you're just cluttering up the game with unnecessary rules, the exact opposite of the purpose being 5E. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they didn't trim up the Weapon and Armor lists like they did with the weapons. Something along the lines of 13th Age.

>>46965421
Now you're just making me sad that 4E barbs didn't stay in 5E. I miss my rages inviting strange spirits into my body in the tradition of the berserker, especially Thunderborn and Whirling Barbarians.
>>
File: tumblr_lmha5lQktm1qap20eo1_500.png (189 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lmha5lQktm1qap20eo1_500.png
189 KB, 500x375
>>46965230
You just can't take a villain seriously when his motive is literally the same as Homer Simpson's in Who Shot Mr. Burns
>>
>>46965633
Yeah, I'll be happy to do so once the set is done.
>>
>>46965652
Doh. Mant to reply to this:>>46965620
>>
>>46965230
There's also the fact that Electro is an outdated stereotype that nobody has been able to take seriously since Revenge of the Nerds.
>>
>>46965671
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwz1dUxRAE
>>
>>46965137
It's not "Shield basing with a spiked shield", it's "Using a spiked shield to get +3AC with Dual Wielder" that's funniest.
>>
>>46965671
Really? Because I've met and seen people like him in real life.
>>
>>46965740
And they're not taken seriously in real life either.
>>
>>46965633
I can't take a villain seriously when his backstory is inconvenience and suffering on a level far below what thousands or even hundreds of thousands of other non-villains have experienced, and everyone else is taking him seriously and expect the hero to actually be wounded by the ol' "you're just like me" routine.

No, Lord Deathlord, you're not a compelling baddie. The legal system failed you and you spent 15 years behind bars and your wife remarried and the guy who ran over your daughter went unpunished, I get that, but that's no reason to blow up the White House. Do you know how many other people went to jail for crimes they didn't commit? That are still in there? Who had people kill their loved ones without punishment? There's a lot, and none of them tried blowing up the White House. None of them are running around murdering many, many other daughters.

You're not a deep and compled villain with a tragic past, you're a little baby bitch who couldn't suck it up and move on. A super-powered toddler throwing a tantrum and leaking explosions from their smelly diaper. When you tell Captain Hero that you're all the same because he's gonna punch you in the face, you may as well be yelling GOO GOO GA GA CAPTAIN HERO A DOO-DOO HEAD.
>>
So i'm planing on handing out some magic items to my players who now reached lvl 6.
For the cleric/ranger i've got a pendant that grants cure wounds 4 times per day.
For the paladin i've got a shield that grants a knockback 4 times per day as bonus action.
For the Barbarian i've got an Axe that gives temporary 1d4 Hp each time an enemy is killed with it.
For the monk i made a custom weapon:
Meteor hammer, versatile, 1d6/1d8 bludgeon, 5ft - treated as finesse for sneack attack and may extend range to 10 ft for the cost of a bonus action.
>>
>>46965776
This, I agree with.
>>
>>46965838
You should give them all an untarnished suit of plate armour that doesn't rust.
>>
>>46965776
At a certain point we've got to realize that all the big villains are actually just evil when you get down to it and everything else is so much equivocation and limp-wristed justification that only suckers will buy.
>>
File: rQ6BQpW[1].jpg (127 KB, 1152x814) Image search: [Google]
rQ6BQpW[1].jpg
127 KB, 1152x814
>>46965903
But the best villains are those that everyone buys. The best heroes are the ones that nobody believes at first. One man or party through a taxing ordeal, manages to change the convictions of a nation. Those are great stories.
>>
>>46965932
I've always thought the mindset with that picture was kind of nonsensical.

If you're the only one who thinks something is wrong, it probably isn't.
>>
>>46965776
That reminds me of a Reason You Suck speech I once wrote into a fanfic.

an mlp fanfic, but that's neither here nor there

Short version of the setup is that a dude [Grogar] 2,000 years ago killed 10,000 people before being locked away. When he came back he finished what he was doing and became a lich, which in this universe basically made him completely unkillable and essentially a physical god. He's then fighting with two other physical gods (Luna and Celestia), neither of whom can really get along [for plot-related reasons] and spend most of their fight arguing with each other to the point where Grogar is practically winning the fight simply due to them fighting with each other so much.

Aaand scene.

>Grogar: "This is magnificent. Your own pride will let me triumph, let me turn the world into a feat to fuel my eternity. There is only one weapon you could use to destroy me, and you refuse because you cannot take me seriously!"
>Luna: "Who *could*? Grogar the Necromancer. So afraid of his own death that he would make deals with demons and slay innocent beings just to stave it off. And that is all there is to you."
>Grogar: "...what?"
>Luna: "Fear. Tirek had grand designs of his own for the world. Sombra wanted an empire and legacy. Even she" [indicating Celestia] "is acting towards some greater goal. You? You have nothing but selfish, self-centered fear driving your existence. You are not the first monster desiring immortality that I have fought. You are not even the first to achieve it. You are simply the only one who wanted nothing *beyond* that. Even now, all you can think about is how to keep your stolen immortality. So of course my sister and I are already looking past your defeat to what comes next. Your own aspirations are just so *small*."
>>
>>46965964
I agree, fellow brownshirt.
>>
>>46965772
I know. So then imagine one of those people who's never taken seriously and is walked all over all his life, is basically given the powers of a god.

>"A god named Sparkles?"

Bad things happen, as we saw with Electro.
>>
>>46965964
It also misrepresents the founding of our nation, but that's another issue.

I think if the fictional captain america behind that quote was to elaborate on it, he would say that you need to express your convictions, and promote them. Let them enter the market place of ideas. And be open to new ideas. If however, nobody else is able to convince you you're wrong, you need to keep honoring what you believe.

In essence: stand by your convictions, but verify.
>>
>>46965981
> blog post
> fanfic
> ponies
Jesus, checking all the boxes today, anon.
>>
>>46965964
So what you're saying is...
You're feeling the math, Bernie Bro?
>>
>>46966047
Doesn't make me wrong, though.
>>
>Enemy wizard Arcane Locks the door mid combat to make his escape
>"I kick the damn door down!"
>Strength DC 25
>"Oh... what's the DC to kick the wall down?"
>.... lower
>"Alright, cool, I kick the damn wall down!"
>>
>>46966063
Such are the wiles of magic.

Reminds me of a scene in Burn Notice where a guy had a bullet proof door...so Michael Weston [our main character] just shot through the wall *next* to the door.
>>
>>46966063
That sounds like a fun game

Did the door still stand?
>>
>>46966063
>Wizard casts a material component spell with a gold cost
>mid-combat
What is your Fighter's or Rogue's excuse for not having disarmed this fucker of his component pouch, arcane focus, and any other pockets or satchels he might have on his person?
>>
>>46966126
What actually happened was we put a bomb in front of the door and blew the bomb. The walls were obliterated but the door was still standing and providing cover.

So the wizard ran up, cast a spell, and dove to cover behind it

So one of the enemy wizards telekinesis'd the door away from our wizard and in front of themselves.

Worked surprisingly well for them until they ran out of spell slots and had to start stabbing people to death (which they did VERY successfully)
>>
>>46965838
I think the cleric's pendant is kind of meh. All the other characters will get new stuff they couldn't do before, while the cleric... will be a better healbot!

Designing cool permanent items for clerics, outside of the usual undead or fiend theme, is a bit difficult...
>>
>>46966121
Tough doors always bother me when they show up.
>that door's a hardened blast door, it'll take us three hours with a laser torch to cut a hole large enough for one man
>the wall is concrete and you can see from previous shots that it's really no thicker than the wall
Wouldn't even take you fucks three hours with a pickaxe, now put your C4 on the wall.
>>
>>46966164
Barbarian rushed in, raged, got hit and paralyzed, and then the wizard critted Inflict Wounds and killed him. In one round

So the GWF Bladelock (me) charged in to try and salvage the situation, and I got one attack off, killing the ghast, and then promptly failed my save against Crown of Madness and had to go punch my sorclock in the dick for four turns.
>>
>>46966201
>Wouldn't even take you fucks three hours with a pickaxe, now put your C4 on the wall.

Gotta love when they use C4 in shows it's ALWAYS in the form of those big bricks with timers when that's enough explosive to demolish or severely structurally weaken a fair-sized building.

People really have no idea how much damage C4 can actually do.
>>
>>46966201
At this point I just use it as an excuse relatively early. One player usually has a pickaxe on most characters' gear list, and I just assume enough gunpowder barrels and dedication can blow up most walls.
>>
>>46966189
Well, stop thinking of them as "clerics" and start focusing on their characters, then.

Just yesterday someone was having trouble with the same thing for his Life Cleric of Bahamut, and I suggested (and he liked) the idea of a Decanter of Endless Water crafted from the horn of a blue dragon, gifted to a previous cleric of Bahamut by Bahamut himself in commemoration for that cleric's defeat of said blue dragon. The decanter fills its bearer with confidence, and 1/day the water that comes out of it can be Holy Water for 1 round.
>>
Could the outlander background work for a desert nomad from Calimshan in a Forgotten Realms game?

I really want to play a CURVED SWORD type fighter that feels like an Andalusian Spaniard, ala Dornishmen from GoT
>>
>>46966319
Literally any background and any class that has scimitar proficiency works. You could make him a noble, knight, merchant, far traveler, etc. So yeah it works, kind of.
>>
>>46966058
Yes it does Andrew, please just stop
>>
>>46966319
Outlander feels more like it describes someone from the wild hinterlands rather than someone from somewhere relatively well-settled like Calimshan - unless you hail from Calimshan's deserts, of course.

But if you're from Calimport or one of the other major cities then the Far Traveler (from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) might work better.
>>
>>46966319
>Curved Sword
>Dornish
Everyone who watches the show is going to think they know some shit from now on, aren't they?
>>
>>46966405
...okay, someone needs to explain this Andrew meme. I missed whatever its genesis was and so have no context.
>>
>>46966431
I'll explain it to YOU, but not to Kurt.
KURT I KNOW YOU'RE HERE, STOP READING THIS POST NOW

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
>>
>>46966429
Well it's definitely better than the books to be perfectly honest, and as someone whose grandparents are actually Spanish, it's pretty accurate to what al-Andalus is recorded to have been like
>>
>>46966357
>implying Waterdhavian Noble works
>>
>>46966315
I am said anon, and admittedly new to DMing and D&D in general. And also thankful for your suggestion. I just had a hard time figuring something out because a light armored ranged cleric is a bit of a different concept than what I'm used to, and I was having difficulty coming up with something not combat related.
>>
File: index.jpg (3 MB, 3000x2615) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
3 MB, 3000x2615
Okay, I'm going to lunch, but in the meantime, here are the 39 or so cards I've made so far. Thoughts? Criticism? Implications about my relationship with my Mother?

>>46966431
IIRC, someone kept posting questions about what to do as a DM and demanded that Andrew not read them. So people just picked it up and started calling people they disagree with Andrew instead of Virt. There may even be a hierarchy: Andrews are lesser Virts. To be called virt is to be called devoid of honor or value to society. To be called andrew is to be called slightly moronic or dickish.
>>
>>46966431
Haha, classic Andrew
>>
>>46966528
Just tweak it into Calishite noble. Far Traveler is dumb anyway if you're playing in Amn or Calimshan.

There's like 3 really ethnically dependent backgrounds at most (Waterdhavian Noble, Uthgard savage and dorfaboo crafter)
>>
>>46966542
Thanks for the explanation, based Anon.
>>
>>46966582
The guy is playing someone FROM Calimshan, not necessarily IN Calimshan.
>>
>>46966357
>>46966419
I'm going for a desert raider type guy, used to lead a band of 40 raiders operating out of a cave stealing shit, his mooks got caught so he legged it to the north where he can play the part of an exiled mercenary and gather a new band of jolly robbers
>>
>>46966678
Calimshan isn't really desert raiders, it's more Iraq at the height of the caliphate or Safavid iran through the lens of 1001-nights addled orientalism.
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 375x500
>>46966498
El Cid and Tizona disagree with you.
>>
>>46966704
Calimshan has bandits like everyone does though.
>>
>>46966498
The books are bad, but the show is goddamn awful

>>46966726
You're mistaking North of Spain with South of Spain during the reconquista
>>
File: ISeeWhatYouDidThere4-300x268.jpg (25 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
ISeeWhatYouDidThere4-300x268.jpg
25 KB, 300x268
>>46966678
>I'm going for a desert raider type guy, used to lead a band of 40 raiders operating out of a cave stealing shit
>>
>>46966726
>El Cid
>In Valencia
>Literally a vassal of one of the taifa emirs until he died
kek, the mythological version of El Cid is worth a few giggles.
>>
>>46966726
El Cid was from Castille, not the moorish kingdoms, at the time Spain was divided.

>>46966758
The show is pretty good man, if you don't like it that's your opinion but I happen to enjoy it quite a bit

>>46966784
My DM has no clue yet, looking forward to th realization
>>
File: basic_game.jpg (21 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
basic_game.jpg
21 KB, 250x250
The group I used to play D&D with few years back is starting to get back together, and I'm thinking of running some games on a new system, since our physical 3.5 books are spread god knows where, and using PDFs for character creation and other stuff is kind of pain in the ass.

Aside from obviously PHB and DMG, what's some good 5th edition stuff to buy? Particularly thinking of adventures, since it's been a while since I DMed a game and only pre-built adventure I've used is the very first one included in basic game, pic related. Also, how are dungeon tiles that are included in 5th edition starter pack? I'm sucker for those.
>>
>>46966850
>El Cid was from Castille, not the moorish kingdoms, at the time Spain was divided.
He was also in the service of the emir of Zaragoza, something spanish and church history tends to love glossing over.
>>
>>46966758
But Anon, crusaderfags routinely oversimplify history to fit their narrative.

Always thought Rodrigo was a weird choice for them, given that he was essentially a mercenary and killed a fuckton of Christians while he was in exile
>>
>>46966845
>>46966850
Given that Dorne is based off post-Moorish Spain as they still worship The Seven and only the Orphans worship Mother Rhoyne.
>>
>>46966850
>The show is pretty good man
D&D, plz go home.
>>
>>46966850
The show turned everybody into literally backstabbing retards with completely inability foreshadow the simplest of actions

The recently stretch of sandsnakes role and screen time made thus even more obvious
>>
>>46966850
>My DM has no clue yet, looking forward to th realization

Sometimes I forget that my parents (despite being ethnically and culturally Irish born and raised) got me a copy of The Arabian Nights as a kid and not Grimm's Fairy Tales or a book about Irish mythos or something, and so that's what I grew up with, and I might have a bigger working knowledge of Arabian myth then most white, non-Muslim Americans as a result.

I suggest going all out in this department and just ransack The Arabian Nights for stories, but in an obscure way.

Like say that you once almost won the heart of a princess Badr al-Budur until she fell for another named Alladin (and make sure to pronounce it as "Ahl-lah-DEEN", which is the correct way but sounds so different from the way most Americans say it that just saying it probably won't be recognized).

Just pile it on until your DM suddenly realizes and punches you in the face. It'll be worth it.
>>
>>46966963
>I might have a bigger working knowledge of Arabian myth then most white

There's so much cool shit in there.
I've used the description "smokeless fire" to describe spiritual beings way more often then I honestly should just because I love that descriptor of djinn.
>>
>>46966897
That's because even all the way to the conquest of Grenada, realpolitik tended to rule the day; Castille and Morocco made deals against Portugal and Grenada, and a large part of the conquest of Grenada was making sure Portugal didn't try anything funny while Isabella was busy kicking moorish ass; who cares that it's basically ex post facto bs when you're the one who pays the historians
>>
>>46967024
It also probably plays into why my favorite of the Narnia books is A Horse and His Boy. Which is the one Narnia book that will never get made into a movie since it takes place entirely in-universe and those stupid kids from Earth only have cameo roles in it, and even then only two of them, and even *then* in their capacity as having been rulers of Narnia for several years already.

Man, I'd love to see a modern take on that. Letting Aravis be a full on warrior princess (which she basically already was) on screen would be awesome.
>>
>>46966963
Oh for sure, I'm gonna lay it in thick

1001 Nights and Old Golds were my favorite books as a kid so I have plenty to draw from
>>
>>46967129
Far Traveller and Guild Merchant both sort of work. So do Charlatan and Sailor fwiw, heroic merchants are kind of a thing for the repertoire.
>>
>>46967173
Considering who specifically I want the character to be I might go with criminal, the story checks out, assuming he survived a mild case of being stabbed in the chest and decided not to push his luck
>>
>>46967129
Just remember the game's not worth playing if there's not a recurring, wandering tradesman NPC who travels extensively because he's afraid of his wife.
>>
>>46967317
I like to use a recurring caravan consisting of a ghostwise clan and the half-dozen or so non-halfling hanger-ons that double as additional guards.
>>
>>46966860
Sword Coast Adventurers Guide has more character options. You may want to check that out.
>>
File: Crazy_Hassan_in_the_Desert.jpg (545 KB, 1980x1350) Image search: [Google]
Crazy_Hassan_in_the_Desert.jpg
545 KB, 1980x1350
>>46967129
Also if this character isn't an excuse to include Crazy Hassan, I don't know what is.

A reminder for those not in the know: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hassan
>>
>>46965157

Just make a ranged crossbow fighter. Use a hand crossbow with the sharpshooter and crossbow expert feat and pump out loads of damage each turn.
>>
File: jace.jpg (99 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
jace.jpg
99 KB, 750x450
What other Magic: the Gathering settings (if any) would you like to see adapted to 5e?

Are there any races, classes, subclasses or other options you'd like to see from M:tG?
>>
>>46968546
Planes that should be adapted:
1. Kamigawa
2. Lorwyn/Shadowmoor
3. RavincaDominaria during the Time Crisis
4. Innistrad
5. Dominaria during the Time Crisis or Phyrexian Wars

Races:
1. Cephalids
2. Those weird ooze people from Onslaught block
3. Moonfolk

Classes/Subclasses
1. Dementia Summoning
2. Lobotomy Mages
3. Lithomancy
>>
>>46968546
Innistrad
I hope they stay with low powered planes because 5e can't into high powered, I don't know how they think zendikar was going to work but eldrazi are way more powerful than they made them in the campaign
>>
>>46968546
Ravnica, Innistrad, maybe Lorwyn/Shadowmoor or Kamigawa
>>
>>46968606
There's homebrews of the Eldrazi titans. They're CR30 and they eat armies for breakfast afaict.
>>
>>46968606
>I don't know how they think zendikar was going to work
It's DnD: the Plane. Of course it works in DnD.
>>
>>46968606
Emrakul isn't even a challenge for 16 squirrel tokens, I bet an infinite simulacrum wizard could handle him.
>>
>>46968825
Mechanics =/= lore in mtg, you have powerful people being 1/1 and shitty threats being 7/7 all the time, you can't 100% correlate the cards with the actual story
>>
>>46968867
Why, it's almost as though nothing means anything in the MtG universe.
>>
>>46968606
They aren't world threatening in the way devour a plane, but they're unkilleable by non magic means and immune to fire and other shit. It's something.
>>
>>46968916
You're stupid if you think 16 squirrels can kill Emrakul, not even 16 baloths, not even 16 angels
>>
So apparently magic item certs are now digital? Anyone have a pdf for casual perusal?
>>
>>46965004
I'd probably just use Purple Lotus from LOTFP
>>
Why bother with Innistrad when they already own Ravenloft and haven't made any attempts to make it in 5e in full yet?
Speaking of which my group's Raveloft campaign for 5e is going fucking awesomely ever since Curse of Strahd ended.

My entire group of players despite having no familiarity with the setting at all has fully embraced the Gothic aesthetic and is entirely playing along with the aura of fear and Gothic melodrama the setting is about.
>>
Speaking of mtg, how do you make clearly not spellcasting character fly without equipment? See vampires (there rogue, assassin and warrior vampires that have fly keyword)
>>
>>46968963
Nobody's stupid here.
But as a very casual MtG player I can fully tell you the plot of MtG is about as meaningful as the plot of 40k.

Which is to say, not at all.
>>
>>46969019
Add to that the plot of any D&D setting ever.
>>
>>46969037
Indeed. Thankfully "plot" is irrelevant in D&D since it's quite literally about making up your own shit.
>>
>>46968995
Interested in running Ravenloft after reading the Gazetters. What's your party look like?
>>
>>46969079
But I guess you want consistency in your games, or are you ok with the most powerful beings in the multivariate, able to shrugs at supernovas and eat planes of existence, just die against a 0 CR threat?
>>
File: index.jpg (1 MB, 1875x1569) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
1 MB, 1875x1569
Okay, here are all the white cards, from common onto the new special rarity.

Gonna work on finishing black now.
>>
>>46968603
Lorwyn/Shadowmoor killed the novels with how unpopular reading them was. I doubt they're going to go there for a D&D setting. But it would be fucking sweet.
>>
>>46965964
There is a difference between everyone disagreeing with you on a subject because they have all come to the same conclusion based on reasonable evidence, and everyone disagreeing with you based on the assertion of numbers.

When somebody says "they can't ALL be wrong" take it as a sign they don't know what they're talking about. For thousands of years the vast majority of humans believed that the earth was a the center of the universe. 40% of Americans TODAY believe in ghosts.

Yes, they can all be wrong.
>>
>>46969178
I don't really give a shit.
As I said, I am a casual MtG player and though I am aware of the plot I'm not going to get invested in it emotionally because I know how unimportant it is.
In D&D I can use my ability to be the GM to explain away things like that through plot devices and the like if it ever becomes a problem. I CREATE consistency because as I GM creation is in my job description.
The Eldrazi don't impress me too much anyway, that's just WotC getting onboard the Lovecraft train eight or nine years after everyone else started doing it in fantasy and pop culture and lacking much of the actual appeal of Lovecraft's writing.
>>
>>46967499
Thanks, I'll check it out. Downloading and reading these before buying stuff.
>>
>>46969092
We're kind of a mix of natives to the Land of Mists and Outlanders here.

>Byron Cainhurst, Half-Elf Ranger, Native.
He's from Mordent originally.
He's most definitely a Byronic hero down to the last dot as the name suggests, but he's done extremely well done so far.
>"Steel", Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, Outlander
He was probably a more traditional dwarven warrior but at some point in the past he was abducted by the Mists and has been stuck in the Demiplane for an unknown period of time.
The realm he ended up in was unfortunately the Nightmare Frontier, so effectively he was trapped in a time-vague unending shifting nightmare universe which drove him mad. He identifies as "steel" because he psychologically associates himself with the metal. Severe PTSD shit and his Rage and Frenzy is more like him loosing what tenuous grasp of sanity he had and killing everything until he's not afraid anymore. VOne of the other party members is sure that he's from Faerun given his vague knowledge of the plane, but he still can't remember.
>Hazan al-Iblis, Human Wizard, Outlander
He's actually LN (verging on LE on bad days) and from Faerun, one of the infamous Red Wizards of Thay. He's a selfish dick but is strongly loyal to the party after they saved his life upon their collective arrival in the Land of Mists. He's not nearly as mean or as callous as some Red Wizards, but he's more then a little bit reckless and always feels more motivated to help himself and he group rather then complet strangers. Some of the outlander group wants to ge home, but the Demiplane fascinates him and he's trying to research it and figure out ways to increase his arcane knowledge and power using it's properties and it's unwise characteristics since he's educated and intelligent enough to readily observe how evil is somehow "empowered" there.
He's actually getting somewhere with his research but the more he experiments the more psychologically unstable he becomes.
>>
File: index.jpg (1 MB, 1875x1569) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
1 MB, 1875x1569
Black Cards done. Moving onto green now.
>>
>>46969447
>Lucielle Riordan, Human Bard, Native
She's the nicest member of the group, a native of Dememtlieu. She's also basically a traditional adventurer, going around righting wrongs and fighting evil, though often she's employed more as a private investigator-type by clients.
Definitely the most psychologically stable, but she has brief gaps in her memory here and there and some of them have cotradictions she can't explain and has a even hard time recognizing they exist at all as she seems to subconsciously kind of "edit out" certain spots in her memory to make her recollection without gaps.
>Alain Rainmont, Human Cleric, Outlander
Originally from the Eberron setting and is both perplexed at the strange duality of the "backward" nature of some parts of the Land of Mists while having advancements in other areas like gunpowder and scientific medicine.
He was a Vassal of the Sovereign Host so the "distance" between himself and his deities doesn't bother him and he's religiously tolerant enough to be interested in these other faiths.
The total lack of worship of the Host in the Land of Mists and yet him still being granted powers confuses him a little, but rather then go down that particular philosophical rabbit-hole he focuses on slaying evil and doing what good he can in the Land of Mists.
>>
Starting GM here, I was thinking of running my players through Phandelver. I will only have 3 players and one woman, so we'll probably have approximately 3 competent characters. Is it a good idea to introduce a healbot GMPC who helps the competent players once the woman fucks up?

She'll be a cute adopted loli daughter of Gundren Rockseeker if I decide to go along with it.
>>
>>46969919
I'm laughing so hard.
>>
>>46965256
I explained it to my players as a result of AC combining dodging and blocking. You could have a nimble buckler to parry give full mobility without blocking much or you could have a giant fuck off steel tower shield that blocks everything whilst you can't really move it.

Idea being that regardless of how you use your shield no one morphology is more or less useful at stopping you get stabbed.
>>
>>46969963
I just started up tower shields as providing Covrer (three quarters) but giving you a Disadvantage to any mobility or Athletics checks for hauling around the big bulky shield which even if you're strong enough to carry it around it still gets in the way most times.
>>
>>46969638
i feel like anti-magic field should be blue, no?
>>
>>46965004
Is there a place in the DMG or MM that describes normal animals? Hawk, wolf, cougar, bear, etc sort of stuff. For some reason I didn't see any.
>>
>>46970253
Appendix A.
>>
>>46970253
At the back before npcs
>>
>>46970092
I don't really know. Stax is present in all the colors. It's probably more white than anything.
>>
>>46970253
>Appendix A in the Monster Manual: Miscellaneous Creatures (pg. 317)
>Appendix D in the PHB: Creature Statistics (pg. 304)
>>
>>46970269
>>46970280
>>46970316

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I got a druid looking to ramp up that wild shape ability.
>>
>>46968979
>LOTFP
...What, on purpose?
>>
So, one of my players just weaponized his cat.
>Running lost mine for semi-new players
>Last enemy standing is ogre, down to 2 HP
>Wizard & her cat-familiar come up
>Expect him to have her Ray of Frost the ogre to death
>"I cast Shocking Grasp through the familiar and throw the cat"
>What.
>Movement of the cat is fluffed as being thrown, with additional improvised throwing weapon throwing weapon added
>Aces it and delivers 7 damage
>Kills the ogre with a goddamn thrown cat
Granted, the group loved it and it definitely fits his musclebrained female wizard. Later we talked about how elaborate on the idea of a wizard using her cat as a weapon of sort. Any ideas we could use?
>>
>>46965157
Why are you using a shield and greatsword
>>
>>46970025
There's a reason they saw practically no use historically.
>>
>>46970911
Basically every Crossbowman had a pavise Anon.
>>
>>46965419
Switch the name Luminous Command with Might of Oaks.

Might of Oaks
>Your girth has impressed the right people
>>
File: 1453831431956.jpg (52 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1453831431956.jpg
52 KB, 600x849
Hey guys, trying to build a new sorcerer here, and looking for advice on how to shape them up. Certain stats or gear I should focus on getting? Best starting race and spells to take at character creation?
>>
>>46965838
You should give the fighter a sentient sword that is a FAGGOT who wants to fuck him in the ASS
>>
>>46970911
Because real war is a lot of waiting around and moving from place to place and no one wants to lug that fucking shield or life-saving armor all that distance (if they can even afford it to begin with, because they're poor), then maybe you fight once in a year.

In D&D you get ambushed on the road twice a week and you're a ripped overman who pulls enough cash out of goblin buttholes to match the yearly efforts of several farmers.

It's the same as with any armor. Look at armor for soldiers. We COULD strap AR500 plates to every soldier who's known to be going into a place where they will definitely be shot at, but it's expensive and we'd make them carry that stuff 18/7 the rest of the time anyway and regulations say everyone has to have standardized equipment and no one wants an extra 30 pounds of metal hanging off them when they're just patrolling Bumfuck, Dirtghanistan all day.

That's why you look at how SWAT operates. These guys sit around in their blue jeans all day and don't have to give a fuck, and when they're finally called up, they know they can tank up like a goddamn turtle and wear five helmets and dual wield interlocking ballistics shields because they get to sit in the van or crouch outside of a doorway for no more than two hours before shit goes down. That's what adventurers are. That's why you wear a tower shield on your back and one in your hand and a regular shield on your chest over your full plate and have two buckers strapped to the side of your helmet and chair casters all over your armor so you can glide around on the floor and be an unhittable metal asshole. I wish I had my picture of an old Iron Man comic where Tony has his backside covered in tiny wheels so he can lay down and zip down the highway like a retard. Other times he has rollerskates.
>>
>>46968603

This is pretty close to my list too. I hope they add how the classes fit in the realm too, similar to how SCAG describes how the classes are typically flavored in their 'setting'.
>>
>starting classes, make a couple friends my age
>they do dnd, one dms
>signmethefuckup.jpg
>turns out it's 3.5
>mfw
Alright, that's the background for my situation in shitty greentext format. Good news is the dm is open to new stuff to make the game convenient (but not entirely change editions, already had 1 meet) so if you had the ability to change one thing from 3.5, what would it be? And i mean overarching background mechanics, not necessarily revamping entire classes. I may be close to convincing her to adopt the skills from 5e
>>
File: fuck.jpg (58 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
58 KB, 500x332
>>46971192
well shit, to add to my shitty post, i left out the jpg.
fuck
though conveniently, mfw right now too
>>
>>46969304

I don't really consider Eldrazi to be 'lovecraftian' anymore, to be honest. Maybe they were inspired by that originally but I don't think they're super similar aside from their 'extra dimensionality'.
>>
>>46971192
I mean basically nobody plays 5e right now desu senpai.
>>
>>46971044
Not that anon, but a pavise wasn't a tower shield in the sense used in a typical TTRPG. The big ones used by crossbowmen weren't worn on the arm or in-hand like a shield, they were basically portable walls. The battlefield equivalent of tipping a smallish table on its side. Rules for such an item would basically be for the implementation of artificial terrain.

>>46971165
IIRC one of the problems the French had at Crecy was that they didn't wait for the dudes with the crossbowmen's shields to show up before engaging the English. They totally brought them along, they just weren't handy at the moment and fools got impatient, and more fools got killed than should have because they couldn't deploy their Genoese mercenaries properly without proper protection.
>>
So guys how does this look for a battlemaster:
Variant human Tavern Brawler
STR - 16
DEX - 14
CON - 15
INT -10
WIS - 12
CHA - 10

Plan to wear a breastplate, max STR at 8 and then MC into rogue for Athletics and Stealth expertise

This way I can be a threat at all ranges and have some ungodly grapples

Might dip a level of barb as well for rage
>>
>>46969919
Pls respond ;_;
>>
>>46965004
Not an addiction, but my character has recently discovered smokable MDMA. Best he's felt in decades.
>>
>>46971161
Each of the classes has a Quick Build section right before the class features that offers useful suggestions for making an effective character.
>>
>>46971303
Why? So we can all have a "haha, women cannot into gaeming" laugh? Fuck yourself.
>>
>>46971330

No, because 3 players may not be enough for the module.

So should I, or should I not, introduce a GMPC?
>>
>>46965486
Just don't go blade pact.
>>
>>46971231
>tipping a table on its side
We actually did that when our party of primarily melee guys were surrounded by archers. We COULD have run over to them and started cutting up a bloody mess, but we were also standing on top of dead enemies with ranged weapons so we decided to kick over a table and use it as cover, abusing prone the whole time.

>stand up
>fire from behind covertable
>go prone again at the end of the round
Enemies couldn't do SHIT, and when they tried to flank us we all unloaded on their dumb asses. Our Druid also thornwhipped one of them behind the table with us and we basically beat him to death with the floor. Fun.
>>
>>46971348
>3 guys and a girl so only 3 competent characters amirite? :^)
>loli

The only thing you should introduce is a running chainsaw into your urethra
>>
>>46971329
Yeah, but are are the best spells for sorcerers, from an outside perspective?
>>
>>46971410

Why are you being so angry and hostile? Put a tampon in it already.
>>
>>46971284
Did your GM let you roll stats or give you extra points?
>>
>>46971284
>needing expertise to grapple
>being a triple dipping scum
If you want to build a primary grappler who does that every round, Fighter is not the way. There's more specialized builds that do stupid shit with spells like Thorn Growth or Hex or being some kind of flying animal, and they still require a lot of set-up for a pay-off that isn't what you'd expect from the effort involved (if your DM even lets you go that far).

And if you do have a DM that lets you go that far, you don't need specialized grappling powers to have a ton of fun with it. You should just be playing like a regular Battlemaster is but occasionally drop your weapon or shield to finish off enemies in stylish ways or to incapacitate them when there's no other threats (or they are a primary target). This will work out much better and is more in line with what you seem to want from a guy who's "a threat at all ranges".

It's really fucking unfortunate that every game falls apart before level 11 and makes the penalty for dipping (delayed progression) pointless. How many Fighters really see their third attack, in all honesty? Anyhow, that's another thing to think about before you start dipping; you probably won't end up with all the levels you want to "finalize" your build.
>>
>>46971470
No I fucked up, the 15 con should be a 14

The 16 str comes from 15 + tavern brawler
>>
>>46971505
I beg to differ, I'm aiming toward a balance between being hard to hit, hard to escape and doing ok damage while being a straightforward dick-kicker, no gimmicks

We're also starting at 5 and this might go up to 20 because my group is pretty consistent

I appreciate the "reality check" but, again, I disagree. My main concern was about taking medium armor and 14 dex as opposed to straight str and a mental stat
>>
I haven't read the D&D novels, because I'm allergic to spending money on bad books and I don't want to take the chance.

So we're playing in the Forgotten Realms, because we started out with LMoP, and my knowledge of the setting is based entirely on the 5e corebooks (and SCAG, if you don't count that as core or whatever).

What's Amn like? Not the shit two-paragraph political overview in the SCAG, but more cultural? What's it based on, and what're the interesting riffs on it? I want to play a Far Traveller monk from down south, and I'm wondering what I should know in order to rp that properly.
>>
File: basementelf_1280.jpg (270 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
basementelf_1280.jpg
270 KB, 1280x960
The M:TG thing might make me run a 5e campaign because my playgroup is a bunch of magic nerds as well.

Any not-so obvious differences between 5e and 3.5/Pathfinder I need to know about? I haven't touched anything beyond those
>>
>>46971688
Why would you wear medium armor when you get heavy for free? You can still have 14 Dex in full plate.
>>
>>46971724
Baldur's Gate 2.
>>
>>46971828
There's a LOT of differences.
You use the same dice and the same classes and the spells have the same names.

It's a whole different system.
>>
>>46971884
Feck

Better start reading, then! Thanks, senpai
>>
Does fucking Chris Perkins come ?! I'm on to you Chris... I smell your trail.
>>
>>46971851
Stealth checks, my party will have 2 rogues and a ranger, so I sense a lot of stealth checks in my future and when they decide they wanna hit a place like a SWAT team, shield guy tends to be the pointman so I have to at least keep up with a breastplate and stealth expertise

Not gonna invest in Moderately Armored just in case there might be mithral plate in my future (my DM is a pretty generous guy, unlike me)

This is also only my second time on the less busy side of the screen
>>
>>46971724
>What's Amn like? Not the shit two-paragraph political overview in the SCAG, but more cultural? What's it based on, and what're the interesting riffs on it? I want to play a Far Traveller monk from down south, and I'm wondering what I should know in order to rp that properly.

Amn is basically Spain more or less, as it was a region a long time ago conquered by the Shoon Imperium, which is what eventually became Calimshan. It's obsessed with mercantile activity and trade (it's one of the only nations with an actual official state religion, namely Waukeen) and it's politics are Byzantine and cutthroat, though who actually is in charge seems to depend on the edition.
It's most famous organization is the Shadow Thieves, who formerly used to run all crime in Waterdeep and secretly controller the city before they got their asses kicked out.

This is the BRIEFEST possible overview I'm giving you here; like all areas in FR the amount of detail involved is fucking crazy sometimes, and you can learn more by getting the 2e Lands of Intrigue book where Amn is detailed, or going onto the wiki or even going to the Candlekeep website and asking the folks there about it.
>>
>>46971724
It's Spain in the early part of their conquistador phase and everyone is a Jewy merchant. Waukeen (the merchant goddess) is big. If you're poor, you're trash. They're run by a super-secretive council drawn from the noble houses; all these noble houses are huge assholes. Arcane spellcasters are distrusted by the common folk and there exists a group of wizards even MORE super secret spoopy than the ruling council that monitors magic users in Amn and enjoys "solving" problems they might cause. There's a significant number of halflings.

>>46971990
Waukeen isn't the state religion, just far and away the most popular because everyone likes money. Legislating who's the best to worship would be a waste of cash.
>>
>>46971213
They're clearly designed to be Lovecraftian, regardless of what you consider them to be.
They just aren't done very well because it's rather difficult to do Lovecraft in the format of a collectible card game beyond making a big alien thing and telling people it's scary and will eat errybody.
>>
>>46965284
I thought this too, I only ever seen her played again me and in multiplayer formats no less so I never got a close looks at her
>>
>>46972013
I should also say that Chauntea, Sune, and Ilmater are very popular in Amn as well. They do a lot of farming (they're merchants and exporting food is a big cash draw for them), most of the populace is obsessed with status and looking good (so hedonistic Sune babbies are everywhere), and everyone who doesn't fall into the above groups is a dirty beggar who needs Ilmateri help.

One of the noble houses is openly Cyricist so you can get away with that there if you want.
>>
>>46972064
It's hard to do Lovecraft when you have to draw the thing.
>hey your mind literally can't comprehend the horrors that is this un-creature so here's a two inch portrait of a pyramid with tentacles or something idk
>>
>>46971904
Huh...that was easy.
Usually you have to argue and cajole and prod people but you just go "damn, I guess I'd better GTFO and actually do some legwork and learn new things"?

That's....actually really refreshing.
>>
>>46971990
So it's basically Dorne? Do they have curved swords?
>>
>>46972084
I like the idea that Bane in 5e is something you can openly find temples to in decent areas, because Banites know EXACTLY how to toe the line of the law without breaking it.
And because they have a tendency to run in a save people who need saving (most especially if other deities Bane hates can't or won't) for seemingly nothing, and then point out that you can be saved forever and not worry about anything again as long as you SUBMIT TO DARKSE..eerrr BANE!
>>
>>46971990
>>46972013
>>46972084
Thanks, like I say I'm a bit of a noob to the setting.

Am I right in assuming that further south, Calimshan is basically medieval Egypt?
>>
Alright, /5eg/, I need your advice.

So, my players just tried to make their way through Death House, but everyone ended up dying and I'm not sure where to go from here. I supposed I have a few options.

I'm thinking about using another one of the intros to CoS but I'm not sure which one is good, otherwise, I'm thinking of running Death House again.

So, do people think that running Death house again would be better? How would one even go about that? It sounds of boring for the PCs but I feel they should finish it. I've never had to re-run a campaign. Or, should I go with something else? If so, which one?

tl;dr: party got TPK'd, where do I go from here?

Thanks everyone!
>>
>>46972138
Isn't Dorn like deserty? No. Spain is in Europe.
>>
>>46971165
SWAT vs soldiers is a great comparison, thanks.
>>
>>46972174
Do it again!
>>
>>46972166
Calimshan is the Ottoman Empire with more sand.

"Basically Egypt" is Mulhorand. Because it IS Egypt. Literally. Asshole wizards (the Imaskari; they fuck everything up) in Forgotten Realms opened a portal and plucked actual fucking Egyptians through, and eventually their Gods (the full Earth Egyptian pantheon, Ra, Geb, Isis, those guys) came through, too.
>>
>>46972095
No, it's hard to do Lovecraft because Lovecraft is about establishing atmosphere which you can't do with a CCG.
Lovecraft described pretty much all of his monsters pretty easily enough but he spent a lot of time doing in his fiction.
>>
>>46972101
People tend to like Amn because it makes for an actually good cloak and dagger lawful evil campaign setting

Royal Company of Helmsport a best
>>
>>46972101
If all the resources weren't right there in the OP I'd probably stick around and ask dumb questions. But it's just another RPG system. Dice rolls plus some shit against dice rolls plus some shit at it's core. Won't be too hard to learn the new system.
>>
>>46972174
What I'm doing it is treating it sort of like dark souls: the players respawn with all their memories at the beginning of the adventure. A few changes: they do make new characters. They're just inheriting the memories of their old ones. And wondering what curse this is.Also, the house layout doesn't have to stay the same, though it generally matches what has come before.
>>
>>46972198
Have you ever re-run a campaign? How do you stop people from pure meta-gaming while still making it fun?
>>
>>46972174
The party is revived as zombies by the next group of fuck-ups to tromp through Death House, but they ruin the ritual so bad that your zombie party is unshackled and eats them. They maintain most of their original personality and all of their skills. Now the zombies must finish this Death House and make it their own. Spooky.
>>
>>46972174
Rerun with the same characters but change all their subraces to Revenant.
>>
>>46972235
This is like Reverse Paranoia where dead players come back to life a set number of times thanks to CLONES but conveniently forget about the guy who just fucked them over (because you are always fucking over your party in Paranoia), and for some reason the guy who fucked them over ALSO conveniently forgets to do it again (because he already killed the first guy. I mean, you're identical clones with almost all of the same memories, but the you he was pissed at is dead).

Paranoia is great, by the way.
>>
>>46972253
>>46972250
>zombiemind
Darkness Falls is a fantastic campaign setting for anyone who is fucking old enough to know what that is.
>>
>>46972138
No, because Dorne is a desert and Amn actually is mostly plains and mountains and forests. They use scimitars but also regular swords and whatever else works.
Their "conquered by the Moors" phase was well over 700 years in the modern Realms, so while they have cultural elements of Calimshan they are NOT Calimshan by any means.
>>
>>46971929
Speaking of Chris Perkins, is he going to be on Critical Role this week? Because if that hasn't been announced I am guessing it, since Mercer was briefly in Chris's stream this week. They were discussing the deets and decided to put mercer on Chris's stream.

It has been called.
>>
>>46972174
Ask them if they want to do it again. If they didn't have much fun the first time chances are they won't be into getting thrown right back in and it may be better for the group if you run something else and come back to it later.
>>
>>46972207
Greenwood has more then once suggested that SEVERAL deities are actually found on Earth (Tempus is a shitload like Mars, complete with the "real face too terrible to look upon" jazz) and Milekki is lifted from a Finnish deity of the same name.
>>
>>46972323
Are names from Amn spanish names?
>>
File: index.jpg (997 KB, 1875x1569) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
997 KB, 1875x1569
Okay, here are the green ones. green I think is the hardest color to get right.
>>
>>46972225
There's a good reason it was in Lands of Intrigue.
>>46972230
Oh I know that.
It's just usually getting anyone to do anything with changing editions is like pulling teeth with your fingers.
>>
>>46972424
Yeah, there are a lot of parallels in other gods, but only the Mulhorandi pantheon is explicitly plucked from actual-fucking-Earth like it's Stargate or Asheron's Call. Everything else is a coincidence or a lack of imagination.

>>46972430
No, because of course Forgotten Realms can't get anything right and every "important" NPC who doesn't have an Adjectivenoun name has a bunch of incomprehensible Welsh shit like Quorlhev or Tarvyyl or--and this is an actual Amn exmaple--WULVER XWRNNAG.

But it's literally Spain, honest.
>>
>>46972430
You may as well call everyone Ricardo and Maria and Raul and Isabella. You're not going to make any sense of FR naming conventions or language.
>>
>>46972534
Dang, and here I hoped I could make a character called Fernando Daniel Fuentes Ɓviles de la Rosa y Jerez IV
>>
>>46972431
Could a player use Giant Growth on a familiar or animal companion? Seems like it would be hard to find a situation where it would benefit the party. Also there's something up with the wording of Natural Stealth.
>>
In roll20 how do you call an attribute in-line? I'm trying to make something like this:

>Preserve Life - call from a pool of HP equal to [[5*cleric_level]]
>>
Was ninja good?
>>
>>46972597
Do it. Everybody will pick some random part of your full name to actually call you and it'll be awesome.
>>
>>46972607
That's a neat use of giant growth. I'll change the wording to enable it. And whoa, i gotta fix stealth. Thanks.
>>
>>46972597
You definitely should because it's honestly 27,300% better than the complete non-identify that the NPCs' naming un-conventions give the nation.
>Rosa
It's good that you remembered gran-gran-bisabuela.
>>
>>46972608
Call it with @ and put the attribute inside bent brackets {attribute}

[[5*@{cleric_level}]]
>>
>>46972610
You mean assassin/shadow monk?
It's pretty neat
>>
>>46972430
Sometimes, but not always. There's a lot of regular fantasy names too.
Greenwood's actually good about not completely copying whole cultures and languages and plopping them into the Realms; he actually goes out of his way to establish and language and lexicon and shit

His setting's got enough detail that he can just write an entire book about it's culture and daily life without any rules at all recently.
>>
>>46972597
Not only would I let you do it, but I would say fuck it and switch all the names to shit like this.

The reason I liked Mystara is actually that they didn't use shitty fantasy faux names for countries that were obviously copy pastes of irl regions.
>>
>>46972597
Every Amnish character I've played (and there've been several) have had violently Hispanic names. Even the one with the Irish/Gaelic name was just using an assumed identity from a dead dude in Moonshae. I actively look down on other Amnians without hispanic names. Disgraceful.
>>
>How have your characters interacted with addiction recently?

Oh boy... Let me tell you about a game I DM'ed.

>DMing a 3.5 game for two friends of mine, one plays a Rogue, the other a Wizard.
>squishcity.exe
>They bumble into a military camp looking for work.
>The CO by some god-driven miracle was of a French descent.
>Table jokes about him gaining his rank by retreating when his superior died.
>"Oh! Zey are advanzing! Sabotauge ze canoons!" etc.
>They go to talk to him, he doesn't talk about anything but shoes, bread, and asking if the players have met his daughter.
>Meanwhile he shoves copious amounts of bread in his face.
>Motherfucking CO has a covered walkway on the second story of fucking TENTS to get to his own private dining hall above the mess hall where they serve only. fucking. bread.
>More jokes about croissants and baguettes.
>The rogue accepts his offer, consumes some bread.
>The next meeting, the rogue eats more bread, and when the wizard leaves, the rogue declares that he stays to eat bread and chat.
>After spending 2 days with the CO, mostly to be annoying I assume, rogue decides the joke is up, he wants to leave.
>"Ok, roll a will save to stop eating the bread."
>Fails a DC 10 save. The Frenchie offers him more bread.
>"As you turn to leave, a scent wafts to your nostrils, the tantalizing smell of baked grains irresistibly beckons you back into the tent."
>Table laughs, but he plays along.
>He fails the save again, rolling low, much to everyone's amusement.
>Hours later, rogue tries his will save again. DC 15 now. Narrow miss.
>Everyone is starting to worry a bit, something is up.
>Rogue rolls to investigate the bread.
>"You don't really see why this is important, you instead inspect the bread with your tounge."
>All this time, the French CO is consuming with him, offering him more each time.
>Soon, he cannot hope to roll high enough to escape the crisp warmth of the bread's embrace.
>To him the mission is lost, there is only bread.
>>
>>46972627
Makes me think of 13th Warrior.
>Arab Scholar: "I am Alhamed ibn Ahmad ibn Rashid ibn-"
>Viking Dude: "Ibben?"
>Arab Scholar: "No, listen! Ibn means 'son of'. Alhamed ibn-"
>Viking Dude turns to other Viking Dudes: "Ibben."
>>
>>46972657
Well seƱor, as it happens, my queridisima abuela was, indeed, named Rosa. However, the honorific "de la Rosa y Jerez" refers to the ever so humble nobility of my blood, as my bisabuelo was the illustrious Baron de la Rosa y Jerez, a name now forgotten by all but those who know of his many works
>>
This is why we need walls and to shut down the internet in other countries.
>>
>>46972833
>.t this guy
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF2Tb4FTlVY
>>
>>46972850
Oh man, is this a real thing?
Like, someone unironically did this in real life not intending it to be a joke?
>>
>>46972850
what would be this guy's equivalent culture in the FR?
>>
Okay so I have been having player in fighting... It's weird though because they are doing it in character, and don't *seem* to let it leak into real life... But I don't know how long that will last. Most recently I had 2 deaths.

Basically one character wandered of, and did some under the table note passing, and when he came back another player threatened him if he didn't say where he had been. The first player didn't even bother to make up a lie, which irked me, and the other player (After a scuffle with a 3rd player) dropped him off a cliff. The the aforementioned 3rd player threw the assailant off the same cliff.

This isn't the first spat that they had, but the first one was ended by the authorities. During their daring escape, the player that the others were concerned with helped a lot and removed suspicion from himself. I thought the problem was resolved.

Fortunately the characters they made after their lethal spat are much more in line with each other as far as their goals are concerned.

Unfortunately they are not in line with 2 of the remaining 3 party members, in fact they are diametrically opposed. (Fugitives and mercenaries hired by the crown level of opposition.)

tl;dr: What are some simple things that I can do to prevent my players from murdering each other?
>>
>>46972893
The most backwoods of the Dales imo.

(Honestly FR is just having its columbian exchange at this point)
>>
D&D HACK

I figured out a way for Arcane Tricksters to get (almost) all the benefits of Find Familiar without having to learn the spell.

>Mage Hand Legerdemain
>Pick up a squirrel, rat, bird, cat, etc (any animal =< 10lbs)
>you can use the mage hand to "telepathically control" (carry) the "familiar" (poor defensless animal) to travel to any point within 30ft radius of yourself (as a bonus action even)

Find Familiar takes an entire hour to cast and expends a first level spell slot. You Arcane Tricksters only need to use a single action to cast mage hand and pick up an unsuspecting "familiar". Also consider how easy the capture is! The mage hand legerdemain is invisible, odorless, and makes no sound!

Wanna make the casters jealous? Your familiar can attack as a bonus action on your turn! Simply "telepathically control" your "familiar" to extend its claws and scratch or open its mouth and bite!

It also counts as a beast, making it an eligible candidate for casting the Awaken spell to give it the capability to speak any language you wish and an intelligence score of 10. Your caster friends can't do this with their dumb shit fiend/fey/celestial familiar.

Running out of time on your mage hand? Just recast it, it's a cantrip remember. And you can spawn it anywhere in range you wish - that means you spawn it directly surrounding your familiar, of course - don't want the little scamp running off.

Best part is you don't need to worry if it dies! It remains just as functional whether dead or alive. In fact it might even deal some poison damage if it's been dead long enough. And you can even use a bonus action to store it in a pocket (dimension). Mages need to use an entire action to do this with their familiar.
>>
>>46972893
Hmm...maybe....hmm.....
The Moonsea?
They're paranoid and casually racist and worship a deity of fear and terror that rules through propaganda and lies?
>>
>>46972893
>Make Deep Imaskar Great Again
I mean, they are super white. ;^)
>>
>>46972939
this is genius. I like how you can do this with a rat, that way if you need to, you can kill it to get your fiendlock bonuses too.

You did multiclass into fiendlock right?

though seriously, bag of rats is okay by RAW, RAI, fluff, and balance. there's literally no problem with it.
>>
>>46972730

lol anon ur so random
>>
>>46972973
Imaskar was like a mega empire of Thay, Mulhorand, Rashemen and all this area right? Do the Imaskari even subsist as a remnant?

I only remember them being a thing at all from NWN2
>>
So my PC died today, now I have to make another character. My party is just a level 4 human rogue(thief) and a level 4 tiefling barbarian(berserk). We are playing Out of the Abyss.
What should I make? I'm looking for max survavility here. (Hard mode: don't say paladin or cleric)
>>
>>46972978
Holy shit, you're a genius... you don't even need to worry about "Find(ing a) Familiar" if you carry a bag of rats on your person at all times. Also, have fun gaining temporaty hit points as a BONUS action on every turn - cunning action mage hand legerdemain to twist a rat's neck.

Are you the anon who's been posting that spoilered section of your post pretty frequently in response to criticism of bags of rats? I think we'd make a great team and I want to play D&D with you, can we get in touch?
>>
>>46973026

If you guys want to live longer, having a healing class would be spiffy keen. Since you don't want the Classes Which Shall Not Be Named, how about a bard or druid?
>>
>>46972610

Shadow Monks seem like tons of fun.
>>
>>46973026
How did you die? Go ahead and spoiler it so that you don't ruin something for anyone but I'm currently level 8 in OotA, so I'm just curious.

Anyway, to answer your question, you should go ahead and make a bard. You can get pretty creative with the spellcasting and your party will do well to bring a face along with them. You'll appreciate the ability to persuade people and whatnot as well.
>>
>>46973012
Imaskar blew the fuck up after their slave labor (Muslim immigrantsEgyptians from another planet) revolted en masse. The survivors fucked off to everywhere but the largest concentration and the only thing resembling a unified all-Imaskari force was the band that went into the Underdark and founded Deep Imaskar.

Though I think in 4E there's a bunch of them back in Mulhorand again because the Spellplague essentially magic-nuked the country clean and when all the surface-dwelling Imaskari refugees heard that they beelined it back "home" and rebuilt.

Then Deep Imaskar gets fucked and thsi new "High" Imaskar saves their ass. but it's run by Hillary Clinton, oddly enough

So yeah, those are some parallels for you.
>>
>>46972931
So... No advice?
>>
>>46973047
First answer me this:

What form does your pact of the blade weapon take?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46966860
>>
>>46973104
ok I was a Cleric 1/Monk 2 I died fighting a crazy stone giant in the duergar city. The DM had some ultra lucky rolls, almost TPKd. I got a 1 on a death saving throw
>>
>>46973012
They are also entirely responsible for bringing orcs to Faerun via their portals because they decided they needed even MORE slaves.
So that's a pretty huge fuckup you can lay at their feet.
>>
>>46972931
Tell them all that these inner-party conflicts are making your job a lot harder and ask them to either take it down a notch or resolve whatever out-of-game friction among the players is affecting their actions in game.
>>
>>46973204
Well, as I always say, you can NEVER go wrong with a trusty Halberd. It only costs 20gp, it weighs 6 lb., and it's a heavy two-handed weapon, making it an eligible candidate for the GWM feat. It also has the reach property, which in my opinion makes the glaive quite a versatile weapon - this was a heavily weighted factor I considered when I chose the halberd as my my pact weapon.

Furthermore, as I mentioned, it weighs 6 lb. If my math checks out, then 6 lb. < 10 lb. meaning that the mage hand legerdemain can not only carry my glaive, but also hold it above an enemy's head and drop it for 1d10 slashing damage. The last thing those bandits expected was for a halberd to sink into their skull from out of nowhere!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.