[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subtle Magic Items
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 4
File: magic-sword-in-the-snow.png (973 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
magic-sword-in-the-snow.png
973 KB, 1000x563
I really need ideas for magic items that don't revolve around

>boosting damage dealt
>reducing damage taken
>boosting damage taken
>reducing damage dealt

Any ideas? Preferably really subtle or utility effects if you can think of any.
>>
>>46960948
The word you're looking for is utility. Or non-combat.

Are we talking mundane or high magic?
>>
>>46960972
It's a low magic setting.
>>
Utility/mobility are the first that come to mind. Memes aside, look at many platform games and the way they give you new skills outside of combat. Even god of war had a lot of bosses that wouldn't just drop a new weapon.
>>
>>46960996
GoW might be a good reference yeah, things like the gorgon head and Golden Fleece and such.
>>
>>46960948
How about
>Mends your wounds if you are wounded badly
>results in the armor itself trading the damage dealt to your body, resulting in lowered AC
>>
>>46961004
That's interesting. If the AC dropped below a threshold it should break.
>>
>>46961012
On point!

Some others I can think off:

>Boots that grant increased speed, but can fatigue someone without the stamina
>Sword that slightly turns its tip towards imminent danger when out of its sheath
>>
>>46961090
>Sword that slightly turns its tip towards imminent danger when out of its sheath

That's a good one too, but a bit too on-the-nose of Sting.
>>
>>46960948
Im just going to spitball some ideas
a piece of jewelery that grants night vision

A sword that gains a damage boost for each enemy it kills in an encounter (resets at the end)

A blank book that when opened to a random page sometimes has a chance to give information pertaining to the plot (can alse be falsehoods)

A tower shield that can be jammed into the ground and give off an aura that prevents lower tier monsters from attacking camp at night.

Guantlet of frost: if contact is made with an opponent during a grapple attempt the oppenent is slowed for one turn if the grapple is unsuccesful . If the grapple is successful, the opponent is slowed for two turns after they are released from the grapple.

Cursed catchphrase ring (to punsih people not identifying shit before equiping shit): the player must include an annoying catchphrase in every sentence they speak. If they fail to do so they must be silent for the rest of the current conversation.

Ivr never designed items before so sorry if these are retarded.
>>
>>46960948
>the weapon appears unbalanced but is actually perfectly balanced which tricks enemies
>a blunt weapon such as a quarter staff which thanks to magic cuts like a razor
>blowing on the pommel of the sword causes the blade to spark a flame at the tip which is useful for camping and when you need a torch
>armour is lighter than it would normally be but just as defensive
>this item was previously owned by a famous miser and is faintly drawn to riches
>a circlet which projects a mild force in front of it strong enough to slope some arrows away from your head (provided you are face the arrow head on)
>>
>>46961247
That pommel idea is perfect.

>>46961245
Same for the tower shield and book!
>>
>>46961316
Cool now that i kind of know what youre looking for let me try a couple more

Special bottle that can turn normal water into holy water over a period of time.

Maybe some footwear that allows you to traverse water?

Bard instrument that has a chance of changing the weather when played
>>
>>46961486
The holy water would, if we had a way to make it sour after too long without being used. My players would have a bad habit of preparing it and not using it, and then sudde ly remembering they have it.

What if it goes sour at the next sunset, turning it into a lure for what it would normally repel? With some clever thinking they could actually use it to their benefit that way.
>>
>>46961524
Thats a really cool idea actually
>>
I'll post some random magic items that may or may not be of interest. Feel free to edit them as you please.

>Phantom's Whetstone
A strange white stone that glows with a faint light. When used to sharpen a bladed weapon, said weapon inherits a few strange properties. The weapon in question sheds dim light in a 5-foot radius, invisible enemies in this radius of light become revealed to the wielder. The weapon is temporarily considered magical for the purpose of being able to attack ethereal and ghostly opponents. One particularly peculiar effect is that the sharpened blade seems to phase through armor, granting an addition +1 to hit.

The 'enchantment' granted by the whetstone seems to fade after a few hours(1d4), causing the weapon to revert to a normal, sharpened blade. You could also assign 'charges' for the whetstone, limiting how many times it can be used before running out, if you so choose.

Alternatively, this could be in weapon form as Phantom Edge, taking all the stats listed prior, except permanent or active at certain times or places.

>Truestrike Missile
A piece of ammunition, or perhaps a throwing weapon such as a dart or a dagger crafted from the crystalline essence of a 'Magic Missile" spell. When fired or thrown, the attack always seems to hit its mark, though it doesn't seem to do too much in the way of substantial damage.

>Ironwill Charm
A small iron trinket that reduces the amount of damage taken from nonmagical weapons. It also grants a small bonus on throws to resist fear, charms and mind control. However, at the end of each day, or whenever they removed the charm, the wearer must make a Wisdom saving throw, or suffer a small penalty to Dexterity for the next day, as their bones and skin weigh down on them heavily.

>Brooch of Emergency Shielding
Upon taking damage that would reduce the wearer's hit points to 0, instead reduce their hit points to 1 and grant 5d6 temporary hit points and +2 AC for the next round. The brooch is destroyed after.
>>
>>46961670
Glad you think so. Once it spoils though, I'm going to say it stays spoiled.

>>46961678
That Brooch would be quite powerful, but definitely using it.
>>
>>46961247
>>46961316
Here have some more:
>this weapon was previously owned by a famous corsair and floats on water
>this item improves the user's sense of balance (perhaps a bo staff that gives you enough balance to be able stand on the end of it, but no more than that)
>this jewelry which makes individuals perceive the wearer as being more attractive/charismatic (as in mind altering rather than just being pretty jewelry)
>a gorget which increases one's lung capacity thus allowing slightly better stamina, louder shouts, and the ability to hold one's breath for longer
>a ring which itches when someone viewing the wearer wishes to harm the wearer (false positives may happen, and natural itching can still occur)
>earrings which project nearby sounds, they slightly improve ones hearing, and if separated can be used to listen over distance but it works both ways and can't be turned off
>a pack which makes the contents feel lighter
>a pot that gets warm when the lid is shut
>a blade that glows at night with an intensity inverse to the current lunar phase (fullmoon = no glow, no moon = intense glow)
>a jewelers lens which gives the user an idea of the value of objects observed with the lens (maybe it is harder with bigger items as you need to observe every inch of the item)
>this item was previously owned by a battle hardened veteran and allows the user to keep a clear mind stressful situations
>a bow which arrows fired from it slowly adjust to be more on target, meaning at close range there is practically no effect but over great distances a bullseye is easy
>a weapon that would normally be mediocre, but saps stamina from those it is engaged with. This encourages the user to act draw out combat and execute exhausted foes. Foes facing the weapon must end the fight sooner which can increase the weapon's effect two fold if the foe starts fighting harder.
>>
>>46961691
>That Brooch would be quite powerful, but definitely using it.
I once read about a spell that might work decently for you: Whoever is affected by it will turn basically invincible for a couple minutes, only to be harmed by powerfull magic, ancient artifacts or dragons fire. However, you also can't move.
>>
>>46961691
>That Brooch would be quite powerful, but definitely using it.

Cool. If you'd prefer a variant, the Brooch could expel kinetic energy outwards, lightly damaging and pushing all nearby creatures back by 10 ft, knocking them prone if they fail a save. You could replace the temporary hit points or the AC bit with this, since it only lasts a round. I pretty much no nothing about game balance though, so feel free to make use of it as you will.
>>
>>46960948
You can look at some of the things that are included to balance the game and break them to make a magic item.

For instance:
- Magical plate that doesn't impose disadvantage on stealth checks.
- Gauntlets of strength that let you wield a single medium weapon while dual wielding without having to take the feat
- A helm that grants darkvision
- A magic shield that you can bash with as an offhand attack as if it were a light club
- An amulet that is alluring and distracts people giving you +1 to charisma checks
- A billowy cape that resists fall damage if the distance traveled is over 10 feet vertically
>>
A magical item that I put in my most recent campaign was a ring of detect silver that a vampire was wearing. Basically when any silver gets within a few hundred meters it starts to get warm, getting almost painfully hot when its right next to the ring. This way he knows when people who can hurt him are nearby. Of course, it also made him pretty paranoid as a lot of people wander around with silver coins and the like.
>>
>>46960948
Stalwart Candle
>a small, unassuming candle that can easily fit into a lantern or smaller candle stick. The candle, when lit, will never burn down and even the strongest winds can't snuff it out. Whoever possesses the candle can simply blow on the flame to extinguish it.

Penitent Pick
>an old lockpick that's clearly been well used over the years. The pick grants the user an unnatural talent for opening nonmagical locks, and an unnatural talent for getting caught using it.
>>
File: zhwt9jp.gif (7 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
zhwt9jp.gif
7 MB, 480x270
>>46960948
Orb of slope detection.
This magical artifact will, when placed on a surface, roll towards the location on that surface where it has the least potential energy.
>>
>>46960948
A magical map that always depicts the current position of its carrier at the center, and shows the terrain a couple of miles around him. Living creatures dont appear on the map, but buildings do. Useful for pathfinding, or to figure out the best way to climb a mountain or cross a river. It can also be used to find weaknesses in a fortified city or fortress, or the best spots to sneak in.
>>
Sword that is perhaps a bit sharper than its peers, but for all appearances seems to be a mostly normal masterwork sword.

It's true value shows when its wielder confronts a wizard or magical creature and the sword punches through all the magical barriers or defenses as if they weren't there.
>>
I gave one of my players a pair of magical glasses that granted true sight and had a built in detect magic in it. However since they weren't made for them, everything becomes very blurry when wearing them which imposes disadvantage on perception checks and if you wore them long enough, you would damage your eyes permanently.

Also as a side joke, they give disadvantage on intimidation checks because they're Milhouse Van Houten thick and no one can take you seriously while you wear them.
>>
>>46960948
sword that glows pink when booty is near
>>
>A gong that sounds when evil creatures are near
>A conch shell that attracts insubstantial translucent ' ghost ' fish that swim through the air
>A flag that, when hoisted, produces a small breeze that makes itself flutter. Probably powered by its own vanity.
>>
>Amulet of allure
Lets you cast Charm Person once per day. Also gives +1 Charisma.

>Trusty iron frying pan
Food prepared in this won't burn.

>Ring of unlimited power
Made by an eccentric wizard as a prank. When worn the wearer immediately transforms into a cute loli. They keep all their previous stats. Any weapons and armor they're wearing also changes to fit their new form, they keep their previous parameters. The ring cannot be removed by mundane means.

>Candlejack's candle
This item wi
>>
>>46961678
The brooch already exists.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/aegis-of-recovery
>>
>>46963991
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/aegis-of-recovery

Huh. Was not aware of that. Ah well, feel free to use that one then.
>>
>>46961808
>a pack which makes the contents feel lighter
It should be found with some stones attached, although described as lighter than it seems. If player decides to remove the stones without other kind of stuff in pack, it floats upwards. If they've done it under an open sky, it can't be redeemed.
>>
>>46960948
Sword has a spirit that can show you 5 minutes of the future.

from it's point of view
>>
>>46960948
A cloak which, when laid on the ground, becomes a fox hole (5' by 5' by 5') The user can either get in in for cover from ranged attacks or stand behind it to prevent being charged.

A rope which turns to stone when a word is spoken and reverts to rope when the word is spoken again.

A shield which causes everything within 5 feet to be treated as difficult terrain, including the wielder's square.
>>
>a charm made from the tooth of a beast that keeps the wearer's own teeth in immaculate condition
>a bedroll that always feels soft and smooth, regardless of the surface its laid upon
>a skillet that, when placed upon a fire or stove always reaches the exact temperature perfect for whatever you wish to cook with it and stays at it until you take it off the fire
>a cloth sack that cleans and dries any clothes put inside it
>a lantern that sheds light which doesn't ruin your night vision
>a vest that always has the right pocket for whatever you need to keep at your person at the moment
>a roll of toilet paper that never gets wet or runs out
>a small axe that always hits the right spot for splitting the firewood
>>
>>46960948
Situational utility can be pretty neat.
I played a 3.5 campaign back in the day that revolved around an undead menace; I lost a finger due to some necrosis, but I was able to bring it to a cleric who enchanted it to twitch when it was exposed to necromancy, such as graveyards harboring undead.

Alternatively, items that provide useful out-of-combat utilities are always appreciated by smart characters. Handy Haversacks, Rings of Sustenance, Cloaks of Many Things and Bags of Holding are treasures indeed.
>>
>>46961678
These are amazing. Mind if I steal them for my campaign?
>>
>>46966184
Why bother thinking about how my guy is sleeping or if his food is cooked through? Its immaterial to the game, right? But 'my guys' PHB bedroll is full of lice and he woke up with stomache cramps.
Suddenly 'my guy' has become 'My Pissed Off Guy' when the party leave to quest without him ("diarrhea stinks, yo"). He's dejected. He's feeling emotion. He develops a desire beyond mere stats and 'roll-playing', even if that is 'To not get diarrhea again'. After a while he might even find a name, even a voice.

Maybe this is a shitty way of saying it, but what I mean is flavor items like these really help me understand and participate in roleplaying. I still want to see negative modifiers for PCs with shitty boots, but i'm getting there.

As a side note, this is what really, really, sucks about modern videogames. Its either lightning, fire or ice magic, all combat focused. Even the utility magics are focused around facilitating combat. Imagine how awesome (useless, maybe, but fucking awesome and fun) it would be to have, in Skyrim, a ring that materialises a loaf of bread in front of you.
>>
File: tumblr_ly4keqhiAv1qh6jlfo2_250.gif (256 KB, 250x171) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ly4keqhiAv1qh6jlfo2_250.gif
256 KB, 250x171
Miscast magic items with their intended effect slightly off - with hilarious consequences.
>>
>>46967592
I was just thinking of things I'd like to have while camping. Fuck +1 sword, I'll take not having burnt dinners instead.
>>
While holing this sword it seems like major miscalculations and harsh failure do not always result in catastrophic events.
>>
>>46961808
>a canteen which slowly refills at a rate just enough to keep the wielder comfortable in the desert
>dice previously owned by a famous gambler/con man and can tell you the probability of a plan's success(a bet is only a gamble if you don't know the odds)
>boots which increase a the users balance(more about surefootedness in rough terrain and preventing getting knocked down when surprised, than the staff which is more about balance for acrobatics)
>a cloak for the homesick, it is soft, smells nice, and keeps the wearer at a comfortable temperature no matter the actual temperature of the environment(e.g. in a blizzard you feel as though you are in a nice warm log cabin, while in a desert you feel like you are in a cool stone building)
>a pocket watch which doesn't tell time but whose hands always point toward sentient life forms within particular distances. The second hand points to the closest sentient life over 5 seconds of travel away. The minute hand points to the closest sentient life over 60 seconds of travel away. The hour hand points to the closest sentient life over 1 hour of travel away. You can tell when a particular hand detects a sentient life form because it starts to moving in such a way that it seems to be struggling to get to the next digit. If watch prioritizes pointing to things in this order: Distance>Number of individuals>Size of individuals
>A whistle that when blown attracts any nearby animals. This is ideal for hunting, or distractions...but wait would this attract certain monsters to me?(I was thinking either this or a flute that attracts certain life forms based on the song played, like the Pied Piper)
>Cutlery previously owned by a famous chef that has two powers. The first power is that whatever it is used to eat taste better to the user. The second power is that whatever it is used to eat is edible so long as some kind of sentient life form is capable of eating it.
>an item made of drift wood that is attracted to water
>>
The Sword of 'Meh'
An ordinary-seeming side sword. Too ordinary...
Will never fail to hit, and ignores any and all armor, magical or not. But will always damage an enemy for exactly 5HP, and cannot kill. Because taking the last hit is for the important people
>>
>>46966184
I want a hammer that does the same thing as that axe.
>>
>>46969708
You want a hammer that chops firewood?
>>
>>46970722
Yes
>>
>>46969415
>A small strong box painted with eyes covering every inch of it. The ultimate in security this box is terrified of strangers, and eyes painted on the box which observe strangers redden based on the stranger's distance. Also the box itself makes noise which grows intensity based on its distance to strangers it can see, from elevated breathing at is farthest range, to hyperventilating, to whimpering, to crying, to wailing, all the way to terrified screaming at point blank. Strangers are classified as those who don't not have the key, nor have touched the key within a few days.
>a suit of armour which mimics the movements of the one wearing its matching amulet, mirrors movements if the amulet is worn backwards, and freezes in place when the amulet is removed. The suit has the exact physical capabilities of the one wearing the amulet, and retains those capabilities while frozen, unless disassembly is attempted. (it can be frozen while holding a weight and won't drop it)
>a regular looking sword that is magically augmented to be meant for sparing only. It will not harm living sentient beings. Cut a path through bushes, smite undead, don't worry about friendly fire, but maybe worry about those mean looking brigands. (whether the sword is a blunt weapon for living sentients or it passes through them like a ghost is up to you)
>a fancy noble's hat that makes you more convincing. Feel like bluffing? (Don't you know who I am?! Open the gates! "we should listen he seems important")
>A manor's master key with no teeth that can open any door (and only doors) like it was the true key for the lock
>a helmet which won't let the wearer hear lies
>>
>>46960948
TES (at least, outside of Skyrim) had some very good utility magic items - stuff that I'd use now and then or carry along to deal with a specific situation. Reflecting some damage, doing a small amount of healing when activated, or even just simple things like waterwalking or slowfall.
>>
>The Messenger's Tabard
An opulent tabard with a faded crest that would've been worn by someone mean to recite his lord's titles or deliver messages. Gives a slight bonus to speech checks, and makes the wearer immune to missile damage while speaking and take half-damage from missiles otherwise. Otherwise does not count as armor.

>The Archbeacon's Cannon
A brass cannon that was molded out of a church bell sacrificed for a terrible war centuries ago. Light cannon meant to be used against infantry. It makes a loud ringing sound whenever it fires, far louder than it should, a minute-long prayer before each shot will improve its accuracy, and does extra damage against the undead or demons, but it refuses to fire on holy days and disturb their sanctity.

>The Barkeep's Bellows
An odd bellows once owned by a friendly tavern owner. Anyone who's considered a trespasser can be blown at with the bellows and be forced to leave, and they cannot return until the next morning. It is bulky and has to be held with two hands.

>The Dozy Watch
A watch that tells you how long it's been since you've slept. When you wake up, it tells you when you fell asleep. Mainly a curiosity, but is useful for adventurers who fall out of a diurnal rhythm in underground ruins.

>The Enterprising Opal
A smooth, polished piece of opal that fits snugly in the palm of the hand. It will allow its owner glimpses into the future to help them achieve their goals, and give them general good luck, but the owner of the opal finds himself losing his focus, going every which way instead of sticking with whatever goal he started with.

>The Taffeta Tunic
It's actually a waistcoat, but it always works well with whatever other clothing its worn with. You can't fail to be a little more charming. However, it does not like to be worn with armor.
>>
>>46971342
That strongbox is the saddest little baby mimic ever. I don't think I would have the heart to loot it if I didn't have the key.
>>
>Carpenter's Bane
A cursed hammer that belonged to the greatest carpenter in history, who fell afoul of [Local Trickster God/Dickbag Elflord]. Acts as a normal hammer until it touches wood, at which time the lightest deliberate tap will plit even the largest wooden beams.
Was recently used by [Local Morally Nebulous Guy] to bring the Treants to heel.
>>
>>46960948
A decanter of endless air. Most useful in underwater caves and similar air deprived environments. Also good for inflating balloons.
>>
>>46969708
How about this?

>A steel rod, sporting the symbol of [Setting specific deity of crafting, innovation or metalworking] and a single word. In its inactive form, it is about two feet in length. When the wielder speaks the command word, he may have the rod transform into any mundane handtool, or back into its inactive form. When transformed it serves as a well crafted example of whichever tool it currently is. Improper use will cause it to transform into its inactive state and will remain unresponsive for a period of one hour.
>>
>>46960948
Have a sword or Halbeard that belonged to some famed soldier who did shit to insult some minor or major deity or priest of a deity. As a result whenever the weapon comes into contact with an element/substance representative of the deity who cursed em, the weapon will quadruple in weight. Now the shift in weight won't affect the weapon or cause it to break, cause magic, but the wielder will realize that it is way heavier. It gets utility by having the user exploit the curse.

Example:
> PC got sword of a famed pirate who killed a mermaid/priestess of sea goddess/random shit.
> Whenever the sword comes into contact with seawater it becomes 4x heavier.
> PC carries around a bottle of sea water with him now and rigged up an eye dropper on the hilt of the sword.
> One day he is fighting skilled dude with claymore
> PC has less reach and can't get in close.
> Goes to swing for the claymore, as the swing is happening PC hits the dropper on the hilt getting the sword activated by sea water.
> Boom, the cutlass now breaks the claymore cause it was swinging hell faster and became way heavier mid swing, way more momentum.
>>
Aligned Focus: Depending on the last spell you have cast or an enchanted weapon, when using the focus you become one with your element of magic and their followers. Healing magic will grant the wielder an aura of sanctity that makes it easier to convince like minded religous followers but causes the undead and spirits to refuse to near you. Likewise, necromancy and dark magic will make the undead much friendlier and even outright docile but makes you unable to speak or communicate with pious characters for example. Magic without a school simply improves your ability to communicate with magical spirits.
>>
>>46966870
Go for it. Glad to have shared in the first place. I'll contribute a few more.

>Adventurer's Almanac
A small, yet thick tome bound in a strange leather. It is inherently waterproof and fireproof, protected by strange enchantments. With a bit of focus, the reader seems to almost immediately find the page they're looking for. The book has extensive and comprehensive details on the land and its denizens, granting situational advantage on Nature and Survival checks.

>Battlemage's Guard
This item is a targe crafted from a rare subspecies of ironwood, resulting in a magically conductive yet surprisingly tough shield. There are a number of minor protection enchantments that keep the shield intact, but the main attraction is the targe's ability to absorb oncoming magical effects with varying degrees of effectiveness. Grants advantage on saving throws against hostile spells. Additionally, when targeted by a single-target spell, roll a d20. Upon passing a DC(determined by DM), negate the spell entirely.

>Earthshifter's Reprisal
A weathered, yet ornate emblem made of granite. When the wearer is hit by a melee attack or spell, the user can expend their reaction and to perform various effects. Feel free to assign a maximum amount of charges as you see fit, and decide whether or not they recharge at the next day. Only one effect may be used in a single reaction.

1 charge: The ground beneath the attacker's feet suddenly turns into sand and begins to sink. The next attack against the attacker has advantage unless they pass a Dexterity saving throw, as their footing is disrupted.

2 charges: A pillar of stone erupts out of the ground, which then crashes into the attacker, dealing bludgeoning damage and knocking them back 10 feet.

3 charges: The ground around the attacker begins to rapidly shift into sand, which then engulf the attacker. The attacker is restrained until the next round.
>>
>>46960948
Wherever you go, flowers bloom.

A weapon that can carve nonmagical rock as a hot knife through butter.
>>
I had a crystal ball with handles that would give you visions of an objects past when you pointed it at something while looking through it. Didn't work on living creatures, but it worked on corpses as far back as they were dead though.
>>
>>46960948

A silver spoon which never tarnishes, and also purifies food which it holds.
>>
>>46971342
>A dirty shield that once cleaned turns out to be invisible
>a mug which allows the user to stay awake indefinitely so long as they keep regularly drinking from the mug. If the user misses a scheduled drink they become unbearably tired and within the hour enter a sleep they cannot awake from until the same amount of time they would have spent sleeping while using the mug has passed. (stay awake for 2 days and 2 nights = sleep for 16 hours solid)
>two adjustable leather bands, one with a thin band and a large opening and the other with a wide band and a narrow opening. Allows for simple ideas to be communicated telepathically between wearers regardless of species. ("Greenskins!" Heel. "OK" Good boy!)
>a crown of flowers that never withers. The more flowers are in the landscape the more clearly the wearer seems to "remember" where things in the landscape are, even if they have never been in the area.
>an extremely primitive set of drawing implements that never seem to wear down. Thing drawn with these implements have a greater likelihood of coming to pass, and this effect increase the larger and more detailed the drawing is. If the drawing is damaged or destroyed before the depicted event can take place then probability returns to normal. (Me show how we go catch mammoth with pointy sticks)
>>
>>46980230
>that shield
10/10 I am legit tempted to fuck with someone in my DnD group with that, that is hilarious. I just want them to wash it in a river or something.
>>
>>46969415
>>a canteen which slowly refills at a rate just enough to keep the wielder comfortable in the desert
>>a cloak for the homesick, it is soft, smells nice, and keeps the wearer at a comfortable temperature no matter the actual temperature of the environment(e.g. in a blizzard you feel as though you are in a nice warm log cabin, while in a desert you feel like you are in a cool stone building)
God why are these so perfect
>>
Story Sword
When held by a campfire at night, the story sword will tell a tale from one of the countless battles it's been in. Which one it tells is up to the sword, although it will try to always tell a story its audience hasn't heard.

The Tattletale Fork
This fork is gold, but when it comes in contact with poison, it becomes wooden until it's washed clean.

The Delicious Spoon
This spoon makes whatever you eat with it taste like your favorite foods.

Reaper Ring
This ring becomes noticeably cold when worn in an area where someone was recently killed.

The Symphonic Hourglass
This hourglass magically plays a song when the grains of sand are passing within it. The song lasts exactly six minutes. Turned one way, the song it plays is upbeat, but turned the other way, the song plays in reverse and is rather unsettling.
>>
>>46960948

>The Paladins pellet prod, a crossbow that fires ordinary stones, stones fired will forever glow in the dark.
>The warning stone, a ordinary stone that screams really load when near danger.
>Jar of "Sliver" Tongues, a Jar containing Metal Silver chunks that look kind of like tongues, melting them down and pouring them into someones ear, allows you to persuade them to do or believe anything.
>The Switch, an ordinary looking wooden staff, when parrying an enemies attack, the enemies weapon teleports into your hand, and they recieve and the switch.
>Jar of Stolen Storm, breaking the jar releases the storm, releasing it at ground level is a very bad idea.
>St Tristans Trap door, a trap door in the ground seamingly leading nowhere, apon entering the trap door it will slam shut, only screams will be heard from the trap door, before blood leaks from it creating a small pool of blood, the blood can be bottled and will allow the drinker to recover health and redce age, the trap door can be transported by taking off the handle and attaching it to any other trap door.
>Shield of true defence, a rough copper shield, when struck it will heat up red hot(Possibly burning the owner) All weapons in a 20 meter range will heat up, melt, burst into flames or explode.
>>
>>46987369
Apologies for shitty spelling and grammer.
>>
>>46987369
>pouring MOLTEN SILVER into someone's ear allows you to persuade them to do something

Yeah I bet it does.
>>
>>46960948
a sword that is enchanted never to slide off any surface it hits (no deflection bonuses for armor)
>>
>>46960948
a robe that is woven with cotton and copper threads.

it hardens on impact , defensive power scales with INT/WIS or MAG
>>
A compass that points to whatever is most likely to kill you in the immediate future.
>>
>oxidization ring
A ring with a dull point that goes past the fingernail. Once per day, the point gains the ability to cause any non-magical metallic object it touches to rapidly rust until it becomes brittle, flaking and turning it to dust with minimal force.
>Bonking stick
A big ol' stick that does no actual harm but is quite painful when it strikes bare flesh, and causes a strange sort of buzzing, pins and needles sensation that momentarily disorients. Like a taser but more thumpy.
>Amulet of vicious aura
twice per day, the amulet will cause the wearer's eyes to shine, call up a stiff breeze and surround them with an intense aura of heat and energy. anything non-magical and non-living in a 15-meter radius will have any cracks, scratches or dents deepen or widen rapidly, sometimes causing them to break. stones and dust will rise from the ground briefly, as though a great tremor caused them to leap on their own. does not affect any powers or do any damage, just gives an intimidating presence and false sense of power. basically all of the bells and whistles of going super saiyan, with none of the super.
>Mask of Mother Brie
a seemingly plain white mask that turns the wearer's face into one that's vaguely familiar, warm and welcoming to whoever sees it. it does not assume the shape of a person they know or change one's voice, but it gives you a much less threatening, almost motherly expression that puts people at ease.
>the salty seaman's sash
A piece of fabric worn as a belt or ascot that is possessed by the spirit of a particularly vulgar, sassy, pissy sailor. it reads the room, listening to conversations and occasionally chimes in with a scathing, rudely worded comment in the wearer's voice. appears to be an ordinary strip of cloth without very careful expert inspection, making it easy to sneak into someone's inventory or unwittingly equip and ruin friendships with.
>>
Gloves that make anything you're holding in your hands invisible. (Doesn't apply to merely touching things)
>>
>>46960948
A large, very sharp knife that can cut through anything (eventually, if not easily) except for mortal flesh and bone.
>>
>>46960948
>Sword of Superiority
This mildly cursed curved blade fills the user's head with delusions that the sword is a powerful artifact when in fact it is rather average. The wielder must make a difficult will save to use any other weapon, or to discuss the blade without telling outrageous lies about its cutting power.

>Mask of the Black Hand
This artifact mask is said to have been worn by a god and is suitable for high-level high-magic campaigns. When worn while on a demiplane, it whispers to the wearer the secrets of that demiplane's destruction. At all times it makes the wearer appear larger and more imposing and protects the head from fire damage.
>>
What seems to be a suit of heavy armor of bizarre make is, in truth, the hollow, desiccated corpse of an angel. In its sleep, the angel whispers its prophetic dreams into the wearer's ears.
>>
>>46987742
pt.2
>Valo's thermite glove
A plain leather glove that is completely heat-resistant, and contains a simple ignition charm. when used, it can start campfires, light fuses or ingnite thermite. Can be paired with the oxidization ring to devastating effect, turning the rust into deadly hot thermite capable of melting most anything.
>boots of stick and move
a pair of garish yellow and purple boots that have two powers. the purple left boot allows the user to become frictionless, moving at great speed with the help of gravity or momentum. the yellow right boot can merge and weld itself to any non-magical material it is touching, all the way up to the knee, effectively turning the user's leg into a very strong brace. Useful for climbing or resisting great force.
>Namarza's whitewood ink
a pot of ink that when written with, allows one to either improve their handwriting to appear more formal or forge the handwriting of another. it corrects grammar and spelling mistakes, and makes corrections to vocabulary to match the intent of what the user is writing to impress or persuade the recipient.
>the lecherous lexicon
a grand old tome filled with all sorts of wisdom and insight, capable of answering many questions and filled with maps and diagrams on nearly any subject. a library all in one book, just the pages you need. However, it will only reveal its secrets when surrounded by whores and alcohol. it cannot fornicate or drink, but it will refuse service if not in the presence of whores and drink, and its pages will remain blank, with the only words on the first page being, "bring bitches first, then we talk."
>>
>>46961486
>Special bottle that can turn normal water into holy water over a period of time.
holy reactor lol. does it use electromagnetic background radiation of sunlight, or heat or some reagent lined on the inside of the bottle?
>>
>>46988228
*or sunlight
>>
I like the idea of magical items brekaing or running out of juice and having powers that make a mockery of their old ones.

a gauntlet that allowed the wielder to conjure tsunamis becomes a glove that makes things somewhat damp, for example.

a hood that once allowed the user to sculpt their face into something else turns into a hood that conjures a groucho marx disguise.
>>
>>46960948
Kinda fits into damage dealt, but this was one of my favorites: My sister was a habitual Mary Sue creator, but in her 4th game made a pug-ugly monkey man and spent a proficiency on a Repeating Crossbow for RP reasons even though a Longbow would have been free and mechanically superior for the class. As a reward I gave her a Follow Up Shots enchantment for the weapon. +1 to Attack and Damage for each shot that's already hit a particular enemy. The more you hit it, the easier/deadlier it gets.

Some other fun ones:

Wands that can detect certain creature subtypes (glows, vibrates, makes a sound) in addition to the spell it can cast. Loses detection power if it drops below X charges remaining.

"Spell Berries" Spell storing items, eat them and it creates the spell effect in your body even if you're not a caster. Eat Burning Hands and breathe fire, eat Scorching Ray and shoot rays out of your eyes, etc. (Obviously rare)

Rings/Amulets that give you minor feats or abilities that would not normally be available to your race/class/etc.

Stainless Steel Sword that constantly drips saltwater when it's unsheathed. Hits enemy with a Hydraulic Push type of effect when it crits.
>>
>>46966184
By far the best of thread.
>>
>>46960948

The little ring gates.

Stick one on the shield of the fighter, the other with the wizard/sorceror/cleric.

Use the fighter as a mobile relay point for your spells.
>>
>>46960948

Find a nice big tree.

Make an awesome tree fort.

Now animate the tree, befriend it, and give it a ring of flying.

Cheap airship for the entire party.
>>
Intelligent item: The Dagger of Azrac, Master Assassin.

Possessed by the soul of the Master Assassin himself. Tells its wielder that it will do 10d6 Sneak Attack damage to any unaware target. It will deliver on this promise, however it gets so exited by the moment of the kill that it screams "OH YEAH HERE IT COMES!", or the like, a second before the blow is struck. Gives the wielder only a 10% chance to get the target before it's alerted.
>>
>>46960948
Find a need in the party.
Make an item that will fill that need.

Find something interesting that a party member may like.
Make an item to do that.

>mug that heats any liquid put into it
>spoon that adds a taste of cinnamon when eating with it
>glass/plate which chances color if the drink/food is poisoned (based on what silver does)
>mirror that shows its reflection clearly, even in the dark
>magic dust that, when rubbed on a rusted/corroded object, will restore it and turn the rust back into metal
>ring that allows the wearer to accurately determine the weight of an object held in that hand
>a strange magical metal that can be shaped by hand, but stays solid as steel with untouched
>a "living" leather backpack, which heals from any scraped and damage back to its pristine form
>wooden clogs which make perfect tapdancing shoes, but are soft and comfortable for the wearer and form to their feet
>>
>>46960948
>Killer's Eye.
>A small steel pendant, often worn close to the skin that gives its wearer the aura of a man not to be fucked with.
>It is said to have once been the sword of a soldier who far from home fought like a demon, but at the end of the war left it all behind with his broken sword.
>>
Some fantasy novel for chilluns had a magic spoon that would make you fed.
>>
>>46966008
The rope is way too OP
>>
a dagger that produces its own poison whenever human blood is filled into the handle

a warhammer that sends its impact force directly through the armor into the target's body without energy loss , but does less maximum damage than a regular one
>>
>>46997363
>dagger
>human blood
Also, cannot be used by a human. That would be too easy.
>>
>>46997384
What if it can't be user's blood?
>>
>>46997384
>>46997363
what about the poison takes a lot of time/ blood to create and only can use the users blood?
>>
>>46997395
That works. Requires attunement, blood must be from a non-attuned human?
>>
Rolled 143 (1d200)

>>
Rolled 39, 116, 26, 177 = 358 (4d200)

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.