[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you exploring themes of marginalization and empathy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 2
File: FaerieCircle-GC15_EmilyAsmann.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
FaerieCircle-GC15_EmilyAsmann.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Why aren't you exploring themes of marginalization and empathy in your games?
>>
>>46939310
I prefer different themes, such as shared humanity in crisis situations and the brutality of nature.
>>
>>46939310
I'm more about social contracts this week.
>>
>>46939310
>read pdf
this is a game about being trans. I mean, it's actually pretty good at what it does, but it would be nice if it said so up front.
>>
>>46939310
>The Fae Folk (the broadly accepted proper term) are a subset of the human race accounting for no more than 1% of the total population.

Copied from the actual document. This was about as far as I got into reading the document before I realized the whole "game" is pretty much designed for everyone to live out thinly-veiled fantasies of being more special than everyone else.

For some reason I kept reading.

>Years of living in a mundane shell have leaves fae folk unable to naturally produce the aether
necessary to manifest their true selves. Luckily, synthetic aether is relatively inexpensive to
manufacture, but it is tightly regulated and cannot be legally obtained without a prescription. With it, you feel like yourself. Without it the world loses it’s color and you suffer from lethargy and depression.

Uhhh... *coughcough* no comment... I've got nothing... I'm gonna stop reading now for real.

>The purpose of the discussion is to share your experience and feelings and to support one another emotionally.

OK, I was wrong, the purpose of the game is to be a hugbox. Instead of actually bonding over an adventure full of danger and heroics and comrades, this is literally a real-life identity hugbox trying to masquerade as a game...

You know what, no, I'm just gonna stop. If this kind of stuff helps people, more power to them. I don't think it's going to generate much (positive) discussion here though...
>>
>>46939380
>Introduction
>You woke up this morning and realized you are fae. Maybe this realization has been building for a while. Maybe it came on all at once. Maybe you’ve known for years, but have just now found the courage to do something about it. Regardless, today begins your awakening, the start of your life as your true, complete self.

It's not subtle.
>>
Fuck you game, I wouldn't be caught dead "playing" this shit in public.
>>
>>46939459
>Emily Asmann

So does she want to be a dude...?
>>
>>46939310

I do, and I'd talk about it more on /tg/, but unlike trans, we furries really are oppressed.
>>
>>46939402
>>46939409
So far that describes Changeling: The Dreaming, you twats.
>>
>>46939310

Just play C:tD instead of this cheap swill.
>>
>>46939310
Because it's boring as shit from a player perspective. You don't want to play an alienated worker wondering from factory town to factory town before finally dying of lead poisoning. You want to play an illegalist bombing government buildings and directing riots into policemen. You want to be taking shit, rather than having shit taken from you.
>>46939332
>shared humanity in crisis
I literally cannot think of a worse theme.
>>
>>46939310
Beast: The Dreaming. No. Fucking. Thank. You.
>>
>>46939684

"She" is probably an MtF, Emily is "her" new name.
>>
>>46939310
Because they're gay.
>>
Sorry, I'm marginalized enough as a white man living in a country that actively despises my existence.
>>
>>46939402

>
You know what, no, I'm just gonna stop. If this kind of stuff helps people, more power to them. I don't think it's going to generate much (positive) discussion here though...

Probably not. It was posted as trollbait, so it's not like OP or anyone else wanted positive discussion out of it. You do seem nice though, seeing the purpose of it and not judging even if you don't have interest in it personally. It wouldn't be a game for everyone, but I'm glad it exists.

>>46939310

Themes of marginalization in campaigns actually come up pretty often, for ones I've seen anyway. It's just not usually based on sexual orientation or any sort of non-traditional gender identity, but more familiar sorts of marginalization.

Settings where women are treated as second class citizens, or the same for certain (usually in the fantasy sense) races. They usually aren't the focus of a campaign or heavily explored, but "X group mostly lives in this poor part of the city" isn't an uncommon thing to hear, for campaigns I've been in at least.
>>
>>46939310
Why aren't you exploring my butthole with your tongue?
>>
>>46940094
and people have made fun of dreaming for being an otherkin game for years
>>
>>46939380
>being trans
>it would be nice if it said so up front
Never get drunk in Thailand anon.
>>
>>46939380
>>46939310
>You are reading a news story about a fae woman who was murdered by her mundane
boyfriend. Was it someone you know? The boyfriend is claiming he was so shocked
when he learned the woman he was dating was fae that he lost control of himself, and is
not accountable for his actions. You know such defenses have historically worked in the
murderer’s favor.

>You are attempting to use a public restroom. Another person inside sees you, screams,
and attacks you with a steel bell. Do you defend yourself, knowing that if the police get
involved you are likely to be the one arrested? Or do you run away and try to find another
restroom?

>You have died. How did it happen? Did you yourself end it, or did someone else take it upon
himself to snuff out your life in defense of his own twisted masculinity? When the local media
reports on your death, do they use your true name or your old, mundane name?
https://youtu.be/aDAU3SPYFsA
>>
I don't understand why Trans* people are still releasing these things when they've already won.

They're .3% of the population that has the hearts and minds of the entire country, so much so that we are willing to change infrastructure and the very concept of gender to support them.
>>
>>46940512

>You are attempting to use a public restroom. Another person inside sees you, screams, and attacks you with a steel bell. Do you defend yourself, knowing that if the police get involved you are likely to be the one arrested? Or do you run away and try to find another restroom?

Pretty on the nose for today.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/511147/Lesbian-forced-to-leave-women-bathroom-police-refuse-to-believe-she-is-woman-female-video
>>
>>46940583
...girl must've been hella obnoxious/creepy.
>>
>>46939310
Because the last time I did everyone in my group started calling my fucking game Undertale inspired just because most of the early game NPCs wanted to talk and be friends rather than fuck over the PCs consistantly.
>>
>>46940512
>You are attempting to use a public restroom. Another person inside sees you, screams, and attacks you with a steel bell. Do you defend yourself, knowing that if the police get involved you are likely to be the one arrested? Or do you run away and try to find another restroom?

laugh at them, everyone knows the fae can only be harmed with cold iron
>>
>>46940583

Wait...not even transgender? Just a Lesbian?

That is...wow.
>>
>>46940607

Steel *is* cold iron, anon.
>>
>>46940632
that would be cold steel
>>
>>46940557

Look at it this way, anon.

Homosexuals have been getting everything they've wanted for the past 30 years, and they're still the single largest source of STDs in any given population, the least monogamous population and the most likely to be found guilty of pedophilia.

Just because Trans* people are getting their toys doesn't mean they won't stop killing themselves. These people are inherently broken, and no amount of headpats or estrogen pills is going to change that. These people will still continue to kill themselves or throw themselves into the margins of society, just like any mentally ill person. Trans will still be synonymous with being a freak worthy of alienation, or at the very least something worthy of ignoring as a potential romantic or sexual partner, so it's not like you'll ever have to deal with these people.

And you won't, at least not really. Assuming you're a man, the vast majority of Trans* are MtF (because as we both know, being a woman is better than being a man in today's social climate) so you'll either be able to spot one of them from a mile away in the bar or club, or never have to deal with them in the restroom.
>>
>>46940632
Steel is contaminated with carbon.
>>
>>46940632
Cold Iron refers to working Iron without forging it. Steel is forged Iron that has deliberate impurities in it to form an alloy, most notably carbon.
>>
>>46940703
Steel has less carbon in it than wrought iron.
>>
>>46940583
>the picture of the transgender campaigner near the end
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>46940667
>>46940703

The difference was never made in old works, anon.

The typical steel blade cut the Fae just as bad as pure iron.

>>46940709

... What? How the hell are you supposed to work iron into a blade without forging it? Do you even know how metallurgy works? Iron isn't just something you can grab out of the Earth and turn into a functional blade.
>>
File: 1457648381236.png (524 KB, 928x1250) Image search: [Google]
1457648381236.png
524 KB, 928x1250
>You woke up this morning and realized you are fae.

Could I play a faerie foxboy?
>>
>>46940687
Nice meme senpai
>>
>>46940709
>>46940703

Pure iron (also known as Pig Iron) is an exceptionally shitty metal and is pretty much one of the worst materials you could make a weapon out of, much less a sword or axe.

You HAVE to add at least some carbon into it to make the thing workable, and by the time you get to Wrought Iron you have to ask yourself "if this is still cutting the Fae, why can't adding an extra percentage of carbon do the same job?"

And then you get steel, and steel cuts Fae.
>>
>>46940770
>And then you get steel, and steel cuts Fae.

a bell isn't going to cut anyone
>>
>>46940782

It's still going to burn; steel not only harms the fae, it repels them.
>>
>>46940797
>it repels them
Because Fae are all Tungstenfags.
>>
>>46940782
Neither is a sledgehammer, but I suspect you don't want to be hit with one either.
>>
>>46939310
This could be okay as an exercise with an improv group, but as a 'game' it is incredibly autistic and hits you over the head so hard with your agenda you'd walk away from the table looking out from your ass. Probably monologuing too.
>>
>>46940818

I always thought the Fae had a thing for bronze, considering most of the time they're shown with metal it's got that distinctive golden hue to it.

Which, when you think about it, kind of implies the Fae were meant to be the ancient peoples that were gradually conquered by Iron Age civilizations.
>>
>>46940797
surely that makes it hard to use a restroom in the first place? if the toilet handle is steel they can't flush. if the taps are steel, they can't even wash their hands. no wonder people don't like the fae.
>>
>>46940463

It is shamelessly an otherkin game.

The very best thing about Changeling: The Lost is that they went "Fuck that, your new background is that you escaped from Wonderland and the Red Queen wants to drag you back."

Changeling: The Dreaming is one of those games I'd be embarrassed to play.
>>
>>46940359
That's changeling's tagline
>>
>>46940862
>surely that makes it hard to use a restroom in the first place? if the toilet handle is steel they can't flush. if the taps are steel, they can't even wash their hands. no wonder people don't like the fae.

You know what? That would actually make a good addition to the system.

The Fae cannot use human bathrooms because they make them uncomfortable, and implore the government to replace all the steel fixings in the bathrooms with bronze or copper.

This is actually something that could add some debate to the system.
>>
>>46940770
>steel cuts fae

Except not fucking at all. Cold forged iron is when you get a big chunk of pretty pure iron from a meteor or something, and bang the fuck out of it with a hammer. It's pretty fucking useless normally, which is the point. No one has secret magical weaknesses to normal weapons.
>>
>>46940770
>steel cuts Fae.

False.
>>
>>46940925
>Except not fucking at all. Cold forged iron is when you get a big chunk of pretty pure iron from a meteor or something, and bang the fuck out of it with a hammer. It's pretty fucking useless normally, which is the point. No one has secret magical weaknesses to normal weapons.
Except hanging an ordinary horseshoe over your door is enough to keep any fae out of your house. Face it, "cold iron" is no more a special material than "hot lead" is.
>>
>>46940925
>Cold forged iron is when you get a big chunk of pretty pure iron from a meteor or something, and bang the fuck out of it with a hammer.

>Cold iron is a poetic and archaic term for iron
>Francis Grose's 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue defines cold iron as "A sword, or any other weapon for cutting or stabbing." This usage often appears as "cold steel" in modern parlance.
>Rudyard Kipling's poem "Cold Iron", found in his 1910 collection of stories Rewards and Fairies, used the term poetically to mean "weapon".
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore

Meteoric Iron is not pure iron, it is an alloy of Iron and Nickel with some trace amounts of carbon.
>>
>>46940722
Generally you don't use actual weapons to hurt the fae, you use iron tools like horseshoes and stuff. That's actually why horseshoes are considered lucky
>>
>>46940984

While this is true in many ways, it's worth noting the horseshoes and iron tools were made out of wrought iron, which is an alloy of iron and carbon and "hot forged".

Which feels strange typing since all forging is done hot, iron is not a metal you just beat into shape with a big cold hammer.
>>
>>46941019
Yeah, I agree with you for all metallurgical points, and I know wrought iron is actually less iron than steel, but if the magical weakness of the fae is swords that just sort of doesn't work out. Plus, it's not the metallurgical properties of the stuff that hurts them, it's the fact that it's iron. You can't apply scientific knowledge to folklore
>>
>>46941052
>but if the magical weakness of the fae is swords that just sort of doesn't work out

But it is, the magical weakness of Fae is iron and steel in all it's shapes and forms.

This is kind of why the Fae are always seen as a dying people clinging to the far corners of the forests, and were only ever really a threat during the ancient times when people used Bronze.
>>
>>46940867
Then they decided they still wanted all of that otherkin dolla dolla.

Hence Beast and Changing Breeds.
>>
>>46940445
Not settings where men are treated like second-class citizens?
>>
>>46941052
>but if the magical weakness of the fae is swords that just sort of doesn't work out.
Actually, it works out perfectly. They're a cultural memory of a more primitive civilization wiped out in a war against our Iron Age ancestors and originate from a time where weapons grade steel wasn't terribly common. Furthermore, fae are thought to represent forces of nature, and since man's production of steel has grown with his mastery over the natural world, it only makes sense that they're much less of a threat now than they were in ye olden times.
>>
>>46941052
Iron anything represents a certain level of technology, mastery over nature.
Bronze is a lot harder to make than iron, being made of two different, rarer metals. Many Roman soldiers still liked it more, but that's a different conversation. But iron requires much higher heat to purify and work.
Iron kept an edge and a forged/cast shape better, but it's that infrastructure that's implied in order to make it.

That's what hurts the fae.
>>
>>46941249
>That's what hurts the fae.
WAIT

What about using a laser pointer?
>>
>>46941249
>>46941121
>>46941078
Yeah, you're probably right. But that makes fae pretty killable in a medieval game. I like them as tricksters and assholes, but if a player can just stab one they sort of lose a lot of their mystique
>>
>>46941541
Nah, that just makes them put a lot more effort into not being seen.
>>
>>46941554
Yeah, they'll still be scary since they're still super unpredictable and magical, but they're pess something you automatically get away from if you can kill them with what you have on hand.
>>
Wow, it's like a shitty Changeling: The Lost, but with forced trans metaphors instead of dealing with actual emotional trauma and trying to live a life of normalcy again.
>>
>>46941593
You're giving them too much credit. We're talking about beings that, since day one of their mythology, can kept out of your house just by hanging a horseshoe over your door.
>>
>>46941641
We're also talking about beings who can turn you into a deer and have your own hounds kill you. They vary wildly in power, and the mundanity of their weaknesses just serves to increase their folkloric appeal. Plus, it's really hard to judge their intentions
>>
>>46941669
>We're also talking about beings who can turn you into a deer and have your own hounds kill you.
That's the Greek goddess Artemis you're thinking of.
>>
>>46941672
But greek myth had a huge influence on european perception of the fae. There are ppenty of story of the fae transforming people, like Tam Lin. Also they can just make you pregnant, or lead people off of cliffs, or take your children and replace them without you ever realizing, or make you dissappear without a trace then returning you unaged hundreds of years later, etc. They have a super wide and eclectic range of powers
>>
I see you guys are still working hard at baiting yourself.
>>
>>46941732
>or take your children and replace them without you ever realizing
Horseshoes.
>>
>>46940583
Jesus, /pol/ is leaking hard.
>>
>>46941758
Yes, horseshoes
>>
>>46940867
I enjoy C:tD for the same reason I enjoy Exalted, it's fun if you don't think about it too hard.
>>
>>46941784
>Jesus, /pol/ is leaking hard.
How the fuck is that even /pol/? What the FUCK does that even mean anymore?
>>
>>46942111
/pol/ is really into traditional girls who have blonde hair and little flowers in it and are hot and smiling in a grass prairie upon which a setting sun shines.

And the mass killings of the others.
>>
>>46939310
If only there was some magic spell that allowed people to change sex at will, then none of this new-age crap would fill the internet.
>>
>>46941417
They cease to exist
>>
>>46942111
A cancerous place where you should have stayed, anon. Were it not for /pol/sters /pol/arizing this board, threads like these would be DOA. But no longer.
>>
>>46940480
Anyone who pretends they woke up drunk with a ladyboy and didn't know is an insecure liar who is trying to pass off going on a deliberate sex trip into an accident.

No ladyboy is suicidal enough no to say it upfront.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.