[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1455759978708.jpg (133 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1455759978708.jpg
133 KB, 500x495
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
>>46915589

What race/monster from previous editions would you most like to see return in an Unearthed Arcana/ new player's handbook?
>>
What are the best/worst sorcerer cantrips?
>>
>>46929302
If you don't have Prestidigitation, you're doing it wrong.
>>
My set of Tarokka cards arrived. They are of quite good quality and well worth the 10 AUD
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
I think I want to make either a halfling or gnome barbarian and my DM said I can homebrew some more thematic totem animals for them.

Anyone have any ideas? What would woodland critter totem animals look like? I'm thinking stuff like maybe Turtle, Squirrel, Snake, possibly some kind of Bird, Ferret, Raccoon, Gopher, Deer, Porcipine, Fox, Beaver, Rabbit.

What are some interesting things I can do with these animals, mainly as far as combat goes. I think it's pretty easy to think up some noncombat stuff for these kinds of animals, but if anyone has anything really interesting please let me know!

Also, if anyone just has a general list of homebrew Barbarian Totem animals I'd love to take a look at that too!
>>
>>46930392
If you could talk your DM into a squirrel totem involving climbing and extending rage benefits to throwing attacks that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't be too terribly worried about breaking things since throwing is pretty weak as is, without feat support.
>>
>>46930392
PHB:
Bear
Eagle
Wolf
SCAG:
Elk
Tiger

Should this be added to >>46929814
>>
I'm DMing my first real campaign and I'm trying to plan out the reveal of my BBEG. I'm also fucking stuck. If your name is Andrew stop reading this by the way, because this is spoilers.

The story so far basically is:

>Setting where all the gods have rooms in a giant "world temple" that they may use as a base of operations
>Gods occasionally all congregate in the temple for unknown reasons
>Players find out that it's basically a staff meeting conducted by the two over-gods to check up on the pantheon, and also learn that the over-gods occasionally fail to show up. In the months leading up to such occasions people begin to find ancient artifacts that are effective against the gods themselves, causing those meetings to be full of chaos and diecide
>Gods believe this to be a test pushed upon them by the over-gods to cleanse the pantheon of the unworthy

The players don't know it, but in actuality the gods are absent because they're too busy fighting the third over-god, who they wrongfully imprisoned at the beginning of time, and everything else is just a side-effect of that.

Unfortunately for the players, they lost that battle. So Over-God #3 is going to show up, and he isn't going to be happy.

I know how to do the reveal. The problem is the BBEG's actions after the reveal.

Would "Over-god tells the pantheon that he wants to cut out half of them and gives them 6 months to 'impress' him in any way they can, resulting in chaos" be a stupid plotline? In actuality #3 just wants to destroy reality and start over, and is using that contest in the hopes that the resulting chaos will make that easier
>>
File: 1376933867305.gif (1 MB, 400x221) Image search: [Google]
1376933867305.gif
1 MB, 400x221
>>46928130
>Not putting /5eg/ in the title.
>>
How would you do a wizard school campaign?
>>
>>46930635
Someone solved that problem a while ago by putting /5eg/ in the copypasta description of the Mega.

You're welcome.
>>
>>46930811
Start everyone with their choice of Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster. Make the wizard school multifunctional, focusing on magic but also serving as a home to all sorts of gifted people looking for guidance.
>>
I'm hoping to get to play for the first time. I've been a permaDM for all my DnD time thus far.

Here's the character I've been kicking around.

Arcane Trickster X, Warlock X (pact of the chain, fiend), Conjuration Wizard 2.

It's a bit MAD, but the goal is hopefully to have good combat utility with Eldritch Blast, and lots of out of combat utility with Mage Hand and item creation.

Fluff wise, I'm pretty excited about it. I want to play a member of a fiend led thieves guild. The fiend teaches magic to his thieves, and offers luck to them. I think this would give the new DM a lot to go on.

My main question is how do you think I should split the levels between warlock and rogue?
>>
I need pictures

Pictures of desert characters!
>>
File: 1389135661724.jpg (34 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
1389135661724.jpg
34 KB, 489x479
>>46930842
Still annoying.
>>
>>46930811
Make everyone a wizard gestalt
>>
File: deus.jpg (99 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
deus.jpg
99 KB, 640x480
>>46930892
>>
The dragonborn warlock grabbed his trusty glaive and hefted his bag of rats as he walked into the Death House. He passed by some fully functional suits of full plate. He joined his compatriots, which included a magical rogue, an illusionist wizard, a ranger with a mighty beast companion, and a fighter. The warlock noted to tell the fighter of the full plate later, since it would surely be of great use to him, and would definitely fit him and not decay when they left the house.

The party travelled forward, when suddenly, a foe appeared! The party got into battle position, but the warlock stopped them. He would handle this. The warlock got his pact weapon ready (a mighty halberd) and killed a rat for a health boost. He rushed forth into melee, delivering a few nasty blows with his glaive, before taking a step back. The beast attempted to attack him, but the warlock used his misty step to teleport behind him. "Psh, nothing personal" he said, before ramming his halberd into the foe's back, slaying it instantly. The fighter couldn't help but feel overshadowed by the casters in the group.

They kept moving deeper into the house. A new enemy appeared and the party was ready, but the rogue had a far more clever idea. He moved his mage hand into position before dropping its load: a bag of daggers. The daggers struck hard and true, ending the fight before it even began. The rogue picked a few up and began juggling them.

Finally the party approached the final room, seeing the strongest creature they had seen yet. They were stumped; how could they defeat this fearsome foe? The fighter's dual wielded lances certainly wouldn't do it; nor could the ranger's very strong and capable animal friend.

Then the wizard got an idea. He created a wall of antimatter, and then made it real. There was a violent explosion of energy as the beast (and the entire party) was torn asunder.

As the warlock died, he couldn't help but think something: Is my race a meme?
>>
>>46930890
You're hurting yourself more than you can imagine with all that multiclassing. You're missing out on tons of spells slots, upper level spells and class features, why not just take warlock with a criminal background? An invisible imp is better than mage hand anyhow.
>>
>>46929666
Wait, is Wizards printing out new Tarokka decks?
I never got one as a kid (used real Tarot faces instead) but that seems sweet.
>>
>>46931186
Mostly because having access to mage hand ledgerdomain and a familiar sounds fun. I figure you can kind of do anything with a warlock because eldritch blast is so good.
>>
>>46930811
Not-harrypotter, and instead of how magic is genetic, being an adventurer is genetic. There is a school for every type of class, located all over the Earth, with magical creatures and shit, that is a seperate "world" from the world of normal humans.
>>
>>46931202
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tarokka-deck
>>
>>46931273
Only if you keep putting more Cha into it, which you wont be able to since ASIs are class features.
>>
File: MDruid2L.png (53 KB, 110x170) Image search: [Google]
MDruid2L.png
53 KB, 110x170
How do I Druid?
>>
>>46931436
That seems like shitty design to me btw.

But, it also helps inform my decision. Using rogue as the main class, I can get as many ASIs as I would have with a full warlock.

If I go rogue 13, Warlock 5, Wizard 2, I get 5 ASIs, That's as many as 20 warlock gets, so it doesn't seem bad. The main thing I'm sacrificing is high level spells, but if I was going arcane trickster then that wasn't a problem anyways.
>>
>>46928130
I liked the Varag from 3.5's MM4, and for some reason I liked the Ushemoi from 3.5's MM5.
>>
>>46930392
>GUYS
>I'm a barbarian...
>A GNOME barbarian!!!
XD
>>
>>46931178
Fucking lold. Some of the memes didn't sound so terrible in practice either.
>>
File: 4zCcE6T[1].png (214 KB, 680x592) Image search: [Google]
4zCcE6T[1].png
214 KB, 680x592
>>46931178
I still think bag of rats is okay from a thematic and crunch perspective.
>>
Are there any creatures you know of in the Fifth Edition Foes that would be way broken if my DM allowed me to druid Wild Shape into it?
>>
File: greasefire.gif (2 MB, 300x229) Image search: [Google]
greasefire.gif
2 MB, 300x229
>>46930634
So does the lack of replies mean that I'm shit and should kill myself?
>>
>>46931961
No, it's just that every Anon here is named Andrew
>>
>>46931992
Explains the rampant memery. Fuck andrew.
>>
>>46932012
>>46931992
Fuck.

Well, I suppose I'll just have to take the risk and give Andrews my blessing. Because I'm really scared I am going to fuck this up and I really don't want to do that.
>>
>>46932038
Hold up, let me show this to my brother. He goes nuts for this kind of stuff.

Incidentally, his name is Andrew. He doesn't have any game though.
>>
>>46932038
The best advice I can give you as a DM is to relax.

The second best is to say "yes .... but"
>>
File: 1454947572426.png (135 KB, 596x641) Image search: [Google]
1454947572426.png
135 KB, 596x641
>>46931103
>tfw holy land has already been reclaimed, the sand niggers driven out, with nothing to do.
>>
>>46930392
Sea cucumber
>>
>>46932038
>>46932061

He said it's alright. Not the greatest, but it'll do.
I think it's fine too.
>>
>>46931202
Yeah they are quite good too. And I didn't want to fork out 300 plus dollars for the original set lol
>>
>>46932012
Well fuck you too Andy
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Spells_Awaken.png (30 KB, 499x571) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Spells_Awaken.png
30 KB, 499x571
>be a ranger
>save your gold, you'll need at least 1,000gp
>hit level 3, choose beastmaster
>choose any CR1/4 beast (of INT =< 3)
>take it to a high-level druid
>"pls cast awaken on my beast. the language I would like it to learn is Common"
>give him the 1,000gp for the material costs of the spell (he might charge some more for services)

Boom, now your animal companion speaks and understands common and has an int of 10. You can now give it way complex instructions and it has much more utility.
>>
>>46932348
>be warlock
>take pact of the chain
>get a better animal companion for free
>>
>>46932366
>be meme
>take the meme
>HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
kill yourself
>>
Sup /5eg/, I need some help for you creative types.

I'm a DM for a mixed group (some experienced, some new). Some shit just went down in the area my players were in. A mix of things (invading god of madness worshipping barbarians, they are wanted criminals for stealing shit and burning a few places down, they pissed off a major corporation) and I decided to head to the "wild west" area in my setting.

They are already involved in a tech heavy story plot line. They essentially pissed off the biggest tech conglomerate in the setting by being a bunch of dick ass thieves. I'm currently designing the region and I need help because I'm not super familiar with western settings/ideas.

The town they are heading to is essentially your run of the mill wild west town complete with a sheriff, saloon, etc, that is between borders of their nation and a NOTARABIC! nation. Closer to their own kingdom is plains/herding land (dustbowl style area) in a bureaucratic style city far far north. Further south is the other nation and a burning sea of sand.

Right now I have an Alamo style fort (once run by a bunch of gunslinging mages who had a heroic last stand, but lost), and a railroad for some hijacking hijinks. The sheriff is an old fuck who is a former master bandoleer who is the sheriff mostly out of convenience.

Anything will help - players characters aren't super familiar with guns as it is rarer in the area they are from.

Some ideas: Walking around with a gun showing shows you are looking for trouble. The pirate in the group has been dying for a gun, who is undoubtedly her first goal.

Magic not channeled through a gun is considered to be dangerous and foreign.

Anything will help.
>>
>>46932402
Warlocks are memes now? I thought it was just bladelocks.

You first andrew.
>>
>>46932348
>be druid
>go to old volcano
>awaken every bat in the cave for free
>???
>>
File: KenKelly-Al-Qadim.jpg (112 KB, 440x266) Image search: [Google]
KenKelly-Al-Qadim.jpg
112 KB, 440x266
>>46931103
>>46932116
Guys come on, forget for a minute what's going on over there
Genies, magic carpets, flowing scarves and adventures in gold-filled caves spiced with the scent of incense!

Come on now! This is fucking D&D!
>>
>>46932366
>No scaling
>No attacking while companion attacks
>No helping and attacking in same turn
>Better

Your meme is shit and so are you
>>
>>46932490
I like egypt better. Tell me this wouldn't make a great campaign.
>>
>>46932536
>beastmaster ever sending his pet into combat
I hope you don't mind when it dies to the very first AoE of every fight.
>>
>>46932536
>can't see through its eyes
>can't send it through trapped rooms because it's not easily replaced
>needing it to supplement your damage instead of using the highest damaging cantrip in the game
>samefagging this hard.

Seriously andrew, leave.
>>
File: BinSabah.jpg (413 KB, 714x1008) Image search: [Google]
BinSabah.jpg
413 KB, 714x1008
>>46932490
>>
File: urchinvengeancepaladin.jpg (358 KB, 800x995) Image search: [Google]
urchinvengeancepaladin.jpg
358 KB, 800x995
If i intone every question about if they can do X with a "You can definitely try." and let them roll a DC that's impossible is that a dick move? I make it pretty obvious that it's impossible/almost impossible, but I still let them roll it anyway. I see a lot of people say not to do this, but I figure it's slightly less metagamey if they can atleast attempt to roll for everything. Tell me why i'm wrong/right pls,
>>
>>46932589
>The memes
You are dumb, and so are the words you type.
>>
File: DesertRogue.jpg (66 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
DesertRogue.jpg
66 KB, 800x508
>>46932490
Here's another one.
>>
>>46932656
I'd wager it's fine if it's something harmless that they won't kill themselves with, but if they're rolling to flap their hands like wings and sail over a ravine, I'd tell them right out if that's impossible in the setting.
>>
File: the_son_of_sand.jpg (145 KB, 1024x641) Image search: [Google]
the_son_of_sand.jpg
145 KB, 1024x641
>>46932490
I hope you appreciate these. Because when my dump is done, you're just getting more racism.
>>
>>46932656
Not bad. Enjoy drinking their tears when they look at you smugly and expectedly when they roll a natural 20.

Still, a ranger with pass without trace and a level in rogue for expertise can totally get a 40 on a stealth check at level 5.
>>
>>46932656
As a DM you are supposed to describe what your PCs see. If you know an obstacle is impossible (say the gap between ledges is 15 feet instead of 5) you gotta describe it to them as if a reasonable person was seeing it. To let them roll for truly impossible feats is cruel, like telling a blind man he can feel his way on top of a stove when the flame is on.
>>
File: Verdugo.jpg (101 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
Verdugo.jpg
101 KB, 800x1067
>>46932490
This one's iffy.
>>
>>46932673
>be level 11
>beast has 4 * your level HP
>CR 11 Behir breat attack does ~66 dmg
I get it, math is hard.
>>
>>46932656
Depends if the thing they're trying is blatantly impossible or not.

No matter how high they roll they aren't jumping into outer space, that's obviously impossible.

Now if they're trying to convince an NPC of something they have reason to never believe then they can certainly try, because unless the party took the time to properly investigate or they have mind reading powers they won't know what information the NPC has on the topic.
>>
Is going in for a hermit background for CoS worthwhile or does this module tend to have a lot of healing pots available? We don't have a ton of heals and I'd like to at least know we have a little bit of a means to regain some hp in combat.
>>
File: RitualMagic.jpg (531 KB, 1080x667) Image search: [Google]
RitualMagic.jpg
531 KB, 1080x667
>>46932490
And I'm done. Enjoy.
>>
>>46932778
Hey man, just so you know, the guy you are arguing with is not me (the one who originally posted the Awaken animal companion trick). The whole basis of that idea is that you aren't using your beast in combat because now you've invested probably 1,500gp into it and its smart as fuck (for an animal). It should be used to pull off heists and shit.
>>
>>46932778
>What is saving for half?
>What is positioning your beast to keep it out of AOE?
>What are flying beasts?
One day you will know how to play.
>>
File: solaire_of_astoria.png (235 KB, 630x355) Image search: [Google]
solaire_of_astoria.png
235 KB, 630x355
How do I sneak Solaire into a 5E D&D game without homebrew? Pic related.

DM is running the Curse of Strahd adventure, and wants it to be as grimdark as possible. I want to be as ham as possible and I figured what better to play than a warrior of sunlight? The party is starting at level 3 but we're not using homebrew rules.
>>
>>46932845
But why? Warlock gives you a better companion for free. Also charisma for social stealth.

I don't know mang, it seems like you're spending 1500gp to be a shitty rogue/warlock.
>>
>>46932873
Light Cleric with a str/wis build. Praise Pelor \o/
>>
>>46932873
Probably bladelock pact of undying light. Maybe take fighter too

light cleric

paladin
>>
>>46932868

not that anon buuuuuut...

>What is saving for half?
a two shot instead of a one shot, hurray.

>What is positioning your beast to keep it out of AOE?
pretty sure the monster decides where that AOE goes and since a previous post talked about sending the companion into combat, they are going to be in AOE town

>What are flying beasts?
I was unaware flying beasts in combat were immune to AOEs
>>
>>46932905
Damn, you really are stupid. I never argued that one option is better or worse than the other. I'm just posting an idea for any rangers out there who are dissatisfied with their beast companion. Smarten up and stop trying to turn everything into an unwanted debate.
>>
really quick probably dumb question, don't have my phb with me

could the attack roll cantrip you learn from spell sniper be eldritch blast?
>>
>>46932845
I get that, but it's still slightly less smart, can't be invisible, can't shapechange, has no damage immunities and is much more expensive to replace should something unfortunate happen.
I'm not saying you can't do it or that it couldn't be fun, it's just a real replacement for actually good class features.
>>
>>46932959
>a real replacement
Sorry, not a real replacement.
>>
File: 1429152707172.jpg (104 KB, 543x800) Image search: [Google]
1429152707172.jpg
104 KB, 543x800
>>46932873
>>46932915
>Str Based Light Cleric
I'd say yes if you got heavy armor, but you don't with light cleric. Unless you take Variant Human and Heavy Armor Training, which could work.

Paladin of Devotion for Lathander could be good, just praise Lathander instead of the sun directly, since they're basically the same. Should stop the group from noticing as soon, maybe. He's a bit well known even outside of the franchise.
Other than that the only "Light" themed thing is probably Undying Light Warlock, but that's UA and also not very in line with Solaire.
>>
>>46932959
Yeah, I know. It's just a way to make the whole thing a bit better while following RAW. I still wouldn't want to play a beastmaster but if I had to, this is what I'd do to make it more bearable (no pun intended).
>>
>>46932957
Yeah, but I think you need multiple levels of warlock to get multiple rays of EB
>>
>>46932983
It's kind of sad that beastmaster is so shit that to even come close to pact of the chain warlock, there's a 1500 gp spell tax that depends on your DM playing a fairly high magic game.
>>
>>46933013
Cantrips scale with character level, not class level. Otherwise Magic Initiate would be trash.
>>
>>46933013
Cantrips scale off of overall level, not class level. It's why sorclocks are so good.
>>
>>46933014
I literally don't understand how WotC thought that Beastmaster was good enough to be published. Even Hunter is just ok. Even then, there's almost no point in going BM because 9th level Hunter can just get 2 castings per day of Conjure Animals.
>>
>>46933103
worse still is that Paladins get Find Steed and Oath of Ancients is basically better Melee Ranger
>>
>>46933103
Basically, they were terrified of beast master's animal companion functioning as a second character and making turns take longer.

But then they go and make the find familiar spell, and the find steed spell. They're kind of retarded, or secretly do want casters to be better than martials in almost every respect.
>>
Alright guys here are my ranger fixes:
>General
-Starting at lv1 can cast hunter's mark without a spell slot
-Foe Slayer: wis damage applies to all attacks, they also ignore all resistances and immunities

>Beastmaster
-beast gets death saving throws (they are already supposed to but people dont do it for some reason)
-beast has 4 × (ranger level + beast con mod) hp
-beast gets ranger level ÷ 5 (minimum 1) ASIs

>Hunter
-Giant hunter: remove "within 5 feet"
-Steel will: also gives proficiency in wis saves
-stand against the tide: when a creature misses you get a free attack back
>>
>>46932656
If it's obviously above their level (e.g. seducing the goddess) or obviously impossible (e.g. seducing the tarrasque) then fair enough. Everyone has a laugh and the game goes on.

If it's something that seems reasonably doable (e.g. seducing the princess), then you're just giving them false hope.
>>
>>46933176
Find familiar on its own is fine. They can't attack, can't be awakened because they're celestials, fey, or fiends, not beasts, and are all pretty weak animals, they just did a shitty job picking familiar options for chainlocks. Sprites and pseudodragons are objectively garbage (mathematically speaking) compared to imps.
>>
>>46932619
>>46932703
>>46932723
>>46932776
>>46932834
Neat! Thanks Andy
>>
>>46933013
>>46933046
>>46933059
dank, probably making an eldritch knight and eldritch blast thematically seems fun.

although without lock levels eblast is just firebolt that can target multiple enemies
>>
>>46933282
You really only need 2 lock levels to unlock eldritch blast's full potential. Though at that point, I say go for 3 or 5.
>>
>>46933282
Paladin is a better decision. An EK who maxes his Cha for his to-hit with EB is going to be hurting in every other area.
>>
>>46932975
>paladins can't throw lightning bolts
>>
>>46933228
I just give my ranger beastmaster and hunter feats. Still will suck later on since lmao there is like no scaling with hunter shit

I even let my ranger have a pseudodragon AC and he still is outperformed by everyone else. Ranger needs to be put down

>>46933297
>>46933323

I was planing on 6 levels of Eknight, then the rest being Evo wiz. I'll have to look into what a couple levels of lock would give me, going 3 lock for eblast stuff + pact of the blade mite b cool.

thematically/rp wise though lock doesn't really fit; character is from an order of knight that hunt arcane related shit like aberrations, outsiders etc. like a arcane paladin kinda
>>
>>46933282
An eldritch knight is gonna have a bad time trying to use eldritch blast. You have no way to get it to go off of your int (magic initiate uses the stat of the class you stole it from), so you're gonna need to divert points into cha to use it. At that point, it's probably not going to outdamage a plain old melee attack or a GFB/BB, so it's pretty much useless.
>>
>>46933352
Could fit if his drive to rid the world of arcane menaces led him to sell his soul to another arcane menace. Dip a bit into fiendlock to give you better tools to complete you mission but at a dire cost.
>>
>>46933352
Somehow I have a hard time believing you

I've run the numbers, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, to me at least
>>
>>46933458
>magic initiate uses the stat of the class you stole it from

welp you're completely right. Firebolt it is

i'll save the lock stuff for when I play a paladin, may be cool then. Wish there was a clear "good" lock patron, i know GOO and fey aren't necessarily evil but they're a grey area

also as for scag cantrips what would you suggest? I always hear about GFB and it seems solid

>>46933499
that's pretty solid and I dig it

>>46933514
>I have a hard time believing you

believing what?
>>
>>46933531
Patrons usually have something sinister about them, but none of them are necessarily evil IMO. Well, I guess if you go by the default setting, fiends are.

But Fey don't have to be, GOO are beyond it, and Undying Light is sort of good by default. Though also bad if done in excess.

More than anything else, warlock patrons are defined by agendas, or just simply forces of nature.
>>
>>46933531
Fey are usually CG, who cares. Alignment means fuck all in 5e. Be the vengance pally who made a deal with the devil to hunt down his enemies you've always wanted to be.
>>
>>46932975
>>46932915
>>46932927
How about this, then? Fighter2/Cleric1, using spell slots only for Guiding Bolt?
>>
>>46933531
Oh, my bad, should have specified, meant the ranger stuff

Anyway, the numbers are solid, it won't outdamage enemies in sheer nova but it does well

Another thing I considered was giving 2 each of the lv 3 features, but being able to use only 1 each turn
>>
>>46933531
You could do undying light or just make the GOO or fey patrons have a soft side. The GOO patron I use for my tomelock is from the Great Race of Yith and he's a relatively harmless chap. Like in 'A Shadow out of Time' he just wants to observe my time and place in the multiverse out of sheer curiosity and is willing to share their knowledge of the Weave with me in return.

Feylock could be a great dip for a paladin, since the later fey-only spells and features kinda suck. Just make the fey prince or princess fall in love with you, only you're too hard-boiled and mission focused to settle down in the feywild just yet (they love that about you)
>>
>>46933610
Acolyte Fighter variant Human Magic Initiate? No reason to make yourself a level late for your extra attack if you don't have to be.
>>
How does GWF Bladelock fare? Is it just a worse Eldritch Knight GWF?
>>
>>46933531
Booming Blade is a more single-target focused alternative to GFB. Lightning Lure can pull enemies, which might help if they're fleeing/evasive.
>>
>>46933671
Polelock is breddy gud, but you've got smallish hit dice and shit armor, so mountain dwarf is nearly mandatory.
>>
>>46933710
Do you not get Arcane Armor or whatever it's called?
>>
>>46933574
>>46933584
>>46933664

alright sweet yet another cool character concept I won't get to play for years. I'll look into undying, sounds the best thematically

>>46933651
my ranger player is a buddy of mine and he saw a psuedodragon in the back of the PHB and I didn't have the heart to tell him no. I took away it's poison tail thing because he wanted a white pseudodragon, so I gave it ice breath that gets some scaling as it levels up

he's not shit, don't get me wrong. It's just that at level 4 the arcane trickster can do all this very versatile shit and do solid damage and the paladin/fighter battlemaster can do a bunch of shit and the zerk barb can go and tear shit up and his ranger is like, "well, I'll shoot an arrow" and sometimes he can make that arrow shoot some barbs. at level 6 I'll let him use a bonus action to command the pseudo to attack, though even with the scaling I'm giving it sending it into combat is still terrifying
>>
>>46933671
The damage is pretty consistent, but yeah polelock is where it's at

Guaranteed bare minimum 63 max 84 melee damage a turn, 66-102 with hex, assuming all 3 hits connect
>>
>>46933780
I'm building a level 3 right now
>>
>>46933725
You can still get the Mage Armor, but it's just 13+Dex. Half plate gets you 15+dex. Yeah, half plate is capped at +2 unless you buy MAM, but if you're pumping ASIs into dex you wont be using the good melee weapons.
>>
>>46933671
>>46933710
>>46933725
for eknights/bladelocks it's more about avoiding damage entirely.

like, eknight in plate with a shield is 20ac, maybe you take the defense fighting style so 21, then maybe you have a +1 shield or armor so lets say around 22, then you get attacked and cast shield and boom 26 AC until your next turn.

as for saving throw damage, take shield master. Lets you take no damage from successful dex saves + you add the shield AC bonus to your dex

now this is for eknight so i dunno about bladelock
>>
>>46933832
With bladelock, you either have fiend for bag of rat tanking, or you have fey, for mobility and some nice charms to avoid damage.

t. andrew
>>
So I haven't been following 5e much, I took a break to try other RPG's when it released.

How's it compare to other editions? How's it hold up now it's been out for a while? Has there been much content released for it? How's the balance this edition?

General 5e inquiry really, debating a D&D game soon and want to get an overall feel to decide on my edition.
>>
>>46933725
There is an invocation that gives you mage armor but that only works if you go full-dex, maxing out at 18. Dex bladelock works pretty okay with dual rapiers if you get the feat and darkness I guess, hitting 19 AC with disadvantage is pretty darn hard, but you certainly won't be doing massive damages
>>
>>46933832
EKs make fantastic tanks, though. People get caught up in the evocation trap, but their real power is in shit like protection from evil and good and protection from energy.
>>
>>46933906
Combat is pretty boring compared to 4e and other RPGs, but the social side of things is nice.
>>
>>46933666
Unless I want spell slots to throw mock lightning bolts.
>>
>>46933903
Goolock is good too, entropic ward is pretty boss in melee

>>46933906
Best ed so far, only 4rries complain because they aren't capable of independent thought
>>
>>46933919
i know that was the point of my post. Is evo really a trap? my Eknight will have alot of aoe spells so i wanna not murder my team

>>46933906
>>46933927
i like 5e combat. it's fast and pretty simple, easy to run groups with 4+ people who are relatively new (like I do)
>>
>>46933671
Eh, you're probably gonna have a bad time. Strength bladelocks inevitably have poor AC, since they don't have heavy armor or shields. You're softer than most other frontline classes, so you're definitely gonna feel that lower AC.
>>
>>46933763
>at level 4 the arcane trickster can do all this very versatile shit and do solid damage and the paladin/fighter battlemaster can do a bunch of shit and the zerk barb can go and tear shit up and his ranger is like, "well, I'll shoot an arrow" and sometimes he can make that arrow shoot some barbs
this perfectly portrays my experience with the BM ranger
>>
File: you dropped your bear.png (900 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
you dropped your bear.png
900 KB, 1280x720
>>46933906
>How's it compare to other editions?
It's very flexible and smooth in-play. People who played 3.5e for charop or 4e for super-tactical combat are going to be sorely disappointed. Those who play D&D for a mix of combat and storytelling are going to love it.

>How's it hold up now it's been out for a while?
Very well. It helps that the release schedule is slow so you don't see a ton of bullshit builds being dragged in.

>Has there been much content released for it?
Core rulebooks, SCAG, and EEPC is all there is so far, and the former two are minimal additions. There's Unearthed Arcana, but those are just small playtests.

Where 5e really shines is the campaign books. The first set were stinkers but the rest have been superb. The recent one, Curse of Strahd, is a retelling of I6 Ravenloft and is the best so far imo.

>How's the balance this edition?
Behind 4e but miles ahead of all the rest.
>>
>>46933906
It took a bit from everywhere, but combat can be a bit dull.

Only a splat and a half so far, but you can cover most concepts.

In combat balance is generally solid, but it still has all the old issues with utility magic.

>>46933932
A first level cleric has only two spell slots. You're not missing much, but it's your character.

>>46933972
Absolutely. You can't get fireball until level 13 and even at level 20 you have three casts a day. Also you need a free hand for your material component, so you have to drop your shield if you want to cast it.
>>
File: 1432525073295.jpg (776 KB, 1200x878) Image search: [Google]
1432525073295.jpg
776 KB, 1200x878
If your name is Andrew, don't read this, I don't want you snooping for spoilers on my next character.

Which Warlock patron/pact works best when I'm going for a theme of Halloween? We're talking orange and black, Eldritch Blasts that look like tiny flaming jack-o-lanterns, and as tricksy as possible. Spread some legends and scary magic fun to villages we pass.
Right now, I'm leaning Archfey patron with some powerful Autumn Fey, and Pact of the Chain so I can have an imp that takes the form of a crow or spider on my shoulder. Fey gets me the ability to frighten or charm, disappear in a flash, and eventually trap people in a mirage of terror. Does anyone else have any ideas?
>>
>>46933972
Most spells deal less damage than just doing a full attack. Having AoE to deal with mobs is okay, but you're usually better off saving your slots for Shield and the like.
>>
>>46933995
and he's hunter + bm ranger. hunter is better than bm for sure but it's still like "once per round you get to add a d8 to your damage against a single enemy who has taken damage"

>>46934023
>>46934058

oh i didn't say, I'm multiclassing my Eknight into evo wiz.

will be taking alot of wiz levels so i'll have 3rd level spells by around character level 7-8 I think and since I'm multi-classed you get the multiclass spell slot list so i'll be fine there.

and yea I'll just about never use 1st level spells for damage since shield and stuff

It's not optimal but it's fun. The idea of taking my action surge then dropping some serious damage is fun if not sustainable
>>
>>46934058
Some of the attack spells are mostly good for the side benefits, but they either require you to be in melee, or aren't on the wizard list anyway.
>>
>>46934027

Sounds pretty cool to me. I can imagine using Phantasmal Force for all manners of halloween shenanigans.
>>
>>46934142
there is a couple 1sts like thunderwave or earth tremor that could be invaluable for an EKnight. Surrounded by enemies, can't run away because you'll take three AoO? thunderwave/earth tremor baby
>>
>>46934559
Yeah, I'm actually kind of happy how many spells seem to have been made with gishes in mind.
>>
So since Wizardsdoes know that a few things in the phb are either half-assed or downright awful, what do you guys reckon they'll do about it, considering they said the "next big content book" is coming?

Should we expect 5.5 book?

Or will it be a PHB2 with a fixed ranger included?

I'm really curious
>>
>>46934927
Hope it's the 2nd.
>>
Is it a dick move for a DM to have a boss use their Legendary Action right as the party's powerhouse Barb standing next to him grins and says, "I'm going into a frenzied rage"

DM: Barb you're up!
Barb: "I'm going into a frenzied rage and use all of my attacks on her." *goes to roll first attack*
DM: okay but before that she's going to use her legendary action to move away from you without opportunity attacks.

Like, I'd think it'd be courtesy to do it before someone's turn starts instead of in the middle of it. But I guess that's how legendary actions are possibly intended?
>>
>>46934927
I'd like a PHB2 with various balance/class fixes

weapons and character customization just need more variety. what's the point of halberds and glaives doing the same damage? why get rid of series staples like the bastard sword in favor of just making more people use the longsword? why take out weapon specialization feats?

>>46935030
it's a legendary creature so anything goes, though that specific use of it seems a bit BS

remind your DM that he isn't playing against you and that trying to fuck over his players doesn't = challenge.

common thing among DMs in campaigns that go well/last awhile is feeling like their players aren't adequently challenged and then adopting the "me vs them" mentality.

also dms sometimes get attached to their NPCs/monsters then try to pull bullshit to keep them alive/make them a bigger threat/etc
>>
>>46935030

Most legendary actions I've seen are only after someone takes their turn, not in the middle of it. I think that's deliberate.
>>
>>46935164
>what's the point of halberds and glaives doing the same damage?
It's a joke.

Also the five million weapon types has always been dumb

>weapon specialization feats
What do you think GWM and Sharpshooter are?
>>
>>46935236
by weapon specialization I mean specific weapon specialization, not broad term stuff like GWM/SS (though those are both good)

besides for fighting styles and GWM/SS/DWF/the crossbow one there really is nothing else

more weapon types that do different things = more variety = more specialization = more RP material = more fun

>>46935209
that's how i'd do it
>>
File: Capture.jpg (20 KB, 369x253) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
20 KB, 369x253
anyone ever use this/have the pdf? wanna check it out, how is it?
>>
Fluff question. What would the patron deity be for an Oathbreaker Paladin who broke his Oath to the Crown? The Lord (Crown) he was sworn to was corrupt so he killed him and left.

The reason I ask is that the Oathbreaker spell list is rife with necromancy spells, and I gotta figure those came from somewhere.
>>
>>46934927
>5.5
No. They've already done the 5e OGL, don't expect any such overhaul.

They've made it clear that they'll release variants to supplement areas of the PHB people think aren't up to par. That means basically just a variant base class for the ranger.
>>
>>46935326
That's because it's an evil option for evil NPCs first, and a player class second. So they throw in some stereotypically evil spells.

Whatever is powering the oathbreaker is probably related to what broke his oath. Maybe he was offered something he couldn't refuse by a fiend?

Maybe he saw the king descend into madness and pulled a jaime.

Etc, etc.
>>
>>46935326
Why would you need a patron deity?
>>
>>46932536
Granting an Ally with Great Weapon Master advantage is far better than sending in a weak pet to do piddling damage that will never bypass magical resistance.
>>
>>46935520
what's the best way to abuse GWM?

war cleric with guided strike is obvious, is there any others?
>>
>>46935376
>tfw
I'm thinking of keeping the Edge Knight as a basic class for Death Knights. Oathbreakers just keep their oath powers, slightly distorted, and might suffer other consequences for it.

They'll probably also ping as evil to paladins of the same oath.
>>
>>46935574
Battlemaster with the precision maneuver.
>>
>>46935593
>multiclass fighter BM + war cleric
>precision maneuver + guided strike
>never miss

we can go deeper
>>
>>46935376
Yeah I know, but Necromancy isn't evil in and of itself. Was trying to work that into the character, especially because he's been a loyal Knight of the Crown up until this point.

Just seems odd he'd have the spells out of the blue (especially because I had him as a worshipper of Kelemvor). I'm pumped about the spells, just need to fluff them right.

>>46935488
I don't. I'd like one though.
>>
>>46935640
You don't really need the spells to be justified by divine worship. Shit, your oathbreaker can still worship Kelemvor, religion is religion, the faerunian pantheon isn't 3.5's patronmart anymore unless you're a cleric.

Just do it like the elven paladin chick in NWN, who turns into a Blackguard due to putting the man she loves above her duties.
>>
File: 213128912.gif (381 KB, 180x135) Image search: [Google]
213128912.gif
381 KB, 180x135
>When you're in the bbeg showdown and the DM doesn't roll lower than a 15 the whole fight and your party can't get above 5s and 10s
>>
>>46935698
But then there's the idea that going against the teachings/beliefs of the god you're given blessing from will diminish your power
>>
>>46935739
Your. oath. is. not. a. divine. blessing.
>>
>>46935795
In your inappropriate and poor attempt at some kind of manbaby smugness you missed the point.

If you suddenly start being a dickbag making shitposts and having hissyfits, the things your divinity is probably against, it's going to be upset with you and not favor you.

Said divinity is about honesty, truth, keeping your word, and then the paladin oathbreaks?

Yeah it's gonna shit on you when you come asking for favors.
>>
New 5e dm here, my players are complaining about not finding enough magic items (they're level 3) despite me telling them that it's not skyrim and even basic magic weapons are very rare

so, I'm going to have them meet a shady merchant selling magical items on the road. He'll offer a number of magic items, all for steeply discounted prices.

of course, all the items are cursed or do not work properly. So i need ideas for fun cursed items.

my fighter considers himself a big tough gruff guy so I was thinking of having a sword that is inhabited by a spirit. Said spirit is flamboyantly gay and constantly makes passes at the fighter and the fighter's party, though only the fighter could here it.

also thinking about something like a cloak of invisibility that magnifys noise made by the wearing and also permeates with a pungent odor of some sort, maybe it also stops working randomly at times

anyone got some more fun ideas for cursed items for a party of a rogue/fighter/barb/ranger ?
>>
>>46935699
Guess you didn't get to show him that Kamille is a man's name.
>>
>>46935871
>my players are complaining

Get them killed.
>>
>>46935881
that's no fun. much more fun to give players exactly what they think they want and have them doom themselves instead
>>
>>46935871
Axe of the Berserker for that barbarian. If he gets hit (and being a barb, he'll get hit) he'll go into an insane rage. Very fun.
>>
>>46936081
i mean he's a zerk barb so he already does, the friendly fire thing might be funny but knowing my players they'll try to kill the zerk first time he hits one of them (we're all long time friends in IRL and they're all assholes)
>>
Random NPCs I made from the tables in the DMG

Demonologist Torturer
Descriptors

* Lawful Evil
* Braided hair/beard
* High Wis
* High Con
* Paints beautiful frescoes in his lair
* Speaks in rhymes
* Irritable
* Values Responsibility
* Sadistic
* Dominate
* Drawn to a special place (dungeon)

Methods

* Kidnaps victims for sick torture
* Tortures people with Racks
* Has demon minions

Goals

* Research into the magic of pain
* Dark Pacts with demonic idols
* Ascend to demonhood
>>
>>46935739
Well, it's fairly simple - do you think Kelemvor will understand your character's actions? Or do you see him as shifting due to his actions - if so, Bhaal comes to mind.
>>
>>46936145
Grief-stricken Druid
Descriptors

* Chaotic Neutral
* Unusual hair color
* No teeth
* High Int
* High Cha
* Low Dex
* Great with Animals
* Colorful oaths ("By the limp wrist of Karn!")
* Friendly
* Values self-sacrifice
* Values balance
* Drawn to a special place
* Shameful past (killed a student)

Methods

* Blightlings he creates
* Causes drought

Goals

* overcome by grief, leads to aggression
* tries to escape if in danger
>>
Descriptors

* Neutral Evil
* Unusual skin color
* High Dex
* High Wis
* Low Con
* Master of Disguise
* Enunciates clearly
* Curious
* Protective of a keepsake
* Powerful Enemy

Methods

* Raising the dead
* Curses

Goals

* Claim the throne
* Win powerful allies
* gain territory
>>
>>46935286
>more weapon types that do different things = more variety = more specialization = more RP material = more fun
Sure, but only if they do different things.
As is it's pretty clean.

Simple Melee One handed Light: d4
Simple Melee One handed: d6
Simple Melee Two handed: d8

Martial Melee One handed Light: d6
Martial Melee One handed: d8
Martial Melee Two Handed Reach or Versitile: d10
Martial Melee Two Handed: d12 or 2d6

Yeah, there are shitty outliers like tridents, but unless you're adding some new weapon that isn't one of those with Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing damage, it's covered.
>>
>>46936739
Whip is like the one big outlier (d4 reach martial finesse) but its grappling ability is also a thing.
>>
>>46936872
>its grappling ability is also a thing
I'm not so sure that it is. Do you have a page number?
>>
Starting out at lvl 4. Is 18 Cha on my Paladin more important than grabbing up Sentinel?
>>
>>46936908
You're actually right, I was mistaken.

I'm a bit sad considering I was kinda hoping to do a whip-based dex paladin, although reach smiting is probably still sort of worth it.
>>
>>46936953
I plan on inserting a "Chain Whip" that does 1d8 and isn't light into the CoS games I run.
>>
>>46936994
Whips aren't light anyway, just finesse. Since reach generally confers a penalty to damage die it should probably be d6.
>>
>>46935871
>my fighter considers himself a big tough gruff guy so I was thinking of having a sword that is inhabited by a spirit. Said spirit is flamboyantly gay and constantly makes passes at the fighter and the fighter's party, though only the fighter could here it.
LOL IT'S A FUCKING FAGGOT

Seriously, that's damn low brow. Don't do that shit.

>also thinking about something like a cloak of invisibility that magnifys noise made by the wearing and also permeates with a pungent odor of some sort, maybe it also stops working randomly at times
Actually kinda funny. Don't do the noise part, but the obvious odor and randomly disfunction is pretty damn funny.
>>
>>46937058
The annoying thing is the whip cantrip on the druid list does 1d6 as a base.

If I reinstated whip master in my own games I'd probably at least make it bump the damage die.
>>
>>46935871
I hope the fighter's player starts making passes back at the sword in return to make you squirm in the awkwardness.
>>
>>46937058
Well I was intending it as a finesse flail basically. Removing reach would be a good way thing.
>>
>>46936145
>>46936467
>>46936482
Seriously? This isn't your fucking blog.
>>
>>46937088
Druids don't get to add their attribute mod to their damage, though. The whip fighter's 4d4+20 dunks the druid's 4d6 pretty handily.
>>
>>46937151
Give that fighter a greatsword instead for 8d6+20. Whips p useless.
>>
>>46937204
My point was that people get their panties needlessly wadded up over cantrips.
>>
>>46937151
Fair enough, and I guess the Druid's all or nothing single attack is probably not quite as good as 4 attacks.

I'm kinda convinced
>>
File: Religion.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Religion.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I am running a hexcrawl sandbox in the near future and one of my players is playing a cleric. I didn't have much in mind for pantheon so I asked him to make something up. Any thoughts on what he did? Note: He has not read or seen A Song of Ice and Fire
>>
>>46937232
>those cheap a f deity names
At least make them anagrams or something.
>>
>>46937232
I am this guy.

Specifically, I'd like suggestions for a replacement name for the overall religion. Ananti/Anant sounds all weird and out of place.
>>
Hey guys.
How would you design a Heart Attack to work?
My character is a very old human, 80 or so, and the DM and I are considering representing the dangers of old age with the opportunity to have a heart attack (con save to prevent) when he goes through prolonged heavy activity and has moments of fright.

The only thing thusfar that we've thought about it is that:
It should take a little while to fully kill the player if untreated, because the lethality of a heart attack is in no way instant
A successful medicine check can delay or completely treat the heart attack, thus preventing too much damage and saving his life until he has another one

So, beyond that, what effects should a heart attack have, mechanically? What should the CON save be? What should the Medicine DC be set at?
>>
>>46937571
Just spitballing, but I'd think about a level or more of exhaustion, maybe the restrained or prone condition.
>>
>>46937571
Lose the ability to do shit with your left hand/arm. Speed reduced to 5 or 10 ft. Automatically fail Strength and Dexterity saving throws, and Con saves based around exertion. Attacks have disadvantage or you can't attack at all.

CON save, DC 15 for the first time, raise DC each time you fail. Medicine DC would probably be fairly low to identify it as a heart attack, maybe a 10 or so, and maybe a 15 to treat successfully.
>>
File: 1446014770330.jpg (130 KB, 800x584) Image search: [Google]
1446014770330.jpg
130 KB, 800x584
So I'm running Curse of Strahd for two different groups right now (and will likely start running it for a third soon) and I have an unusual problem. Spoilers for the adventure follow.

The Abbot of Saint Markovia Abbey has fashioned an "exquisitely put together" female flesh golem. Now, depending on the Tarokka reading this golem could be the party's ally against Strahd.

The problem is that this is absolutely my magical realm, and I have no desire to make my players enter it. Removing her altogether creates a lot of issues because she's a clear example of the depths of depravity the Abbot (secretly a deranged Deva) has sunk to, so it will screw up the thematics of that section.

I'm really not sure what to do, if she ends up the party's ally then I'll have to try and maintain my composure over several sessions.
>>
>>46935164
A longsword and a bastard sword are the same thing. A sword that can be used with one or two hands.
>>
>>46935632
>take Lucky Feat and 2 levels in Divination Wizard
>>
>>46938201
You forgot
>Be a Halfling
>>
>>46930392
Badger, maybe a Wolverine?
>>
how would you guys do a fighter/bladelock multi-class?

concept is a high charisma fighter, the textbook bard-like ladies man, (going to play him like prince charming mixed with kronk from emperor's new groove, 8 int and i can do a solid patrick warburton) finds an artifact out on his adventures. Said ladies man inadvertently activates the artifact, freeing a powerful succubus or some sort of female fiend.

he manages to avoid being incinerated on the spot by charming the fiend through flattery and etc. The fiend, somewhat grateful for her liberation, and also amused by the fighter, offers to become his matron and etc you see where i'm going.

that sound solid? was thinking maybe i'd have the spirit inside the artifact be Fey instead, would make a bit more sense that she could be charmed through flattery and shit.

this would be for a campaign that starts at 3rd level.

>>46937085
>>46937103
it's meant to piss my player off, not really be funny. sure it's an awesome magic sword but he has to put up with constant annoying chatter from Fruity Rudy
>>
>>46938701
>Fruity Rudy
LOL IT'S GAY GET IT? HAHAHA ITS A FUCKING FAGGOT!!! XD

He wants ur FUCKING DICK CUZ HES A FUCKING FAG XD

LOOOOL!!!!
>>
>>46938725
settle down queer, D&D isn't exactly high-brow no matter how gritty and edgy you make your personal campaigns
>>
>>46938732
The sword..... IS A FAG!!!!
GET IT GUYS? HE'S GAY!! XP

He wants.... TO HAVE SEX....[soiler]WITH MEN!!!!!

AND HE'S ALSO A MAN !!!! HOW WEIRD IS THAT!!! :P

LOOOOOOL
>>
>>46938732
Hahaha, you know what would be EPIC???

IF YOU MADE IT LOOK LIKE A PENIS XDDD

BECAUSE GAY XD

hahahaha poo poo pee pee poopy butt :P get it?????
>>
>>46930634
Sounds pretty much like every Naruto plot line ever, but I guess it's decent for a D&D campaign.

What do you expect your players to do about it?
>>
>>46938732
You could call it "Le epic sword of FAGGOTRY !!!

And you could call your campaign "le epic poopy gay world" hahah isnt that so random and funny :P The sword should have a big GAY butt!!! LOL
>>
>>46935871
>>46938701
Your character idea seems pretty solid.

Your cursed magic item ideas are not that great but in the right group could be interesting. The cloak amplifying noise is solid, but the gay sword is sorta bland. Now, a sword That talks the player all the time with an annoying voice could work, but I would suggest making it more like a navi sword That points out the obvious all the time.
>>
>>46938872
No way man the sword should be a big gay fucking asshole-fucking FAGGOT

It's hilarious :P
>>
>>46938750
>>46938764
>>46938781
>>46938918
Kek, i triggered you so hard you had to mindlessly shitpost four times

Whats your name? I want to name the fag sword after you
>>
>>46938949
My name is poopy faggy nigger butt :PP

Make it a big epic gay faggot that wants to fuck the fighter in his sweet tight rectum. Make the sword shoot CUM ALL OVER THE PARTY XD LOL
>>
>>46938949
Don't mind that guy, his name is Andrew.
>>
Andrew is a big gay faggot sword nigger fucking FaG just like anons epic gay funny sword
>>
I don't suppose you could have a tumblr-tantrum somewhere else, could you?
>>
>>46939116
Come on Andrew, enough of that
>>
Don't we usually save this shit for after we hit the bump limit?
>>
>>46935030
From the MM, pg. 11
>"Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn."

So it's either a dick move, or an ignorant move.
>>
File: Beast Master Rework.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Beast Master Rework.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Found this thing, looks neat

What do you guys think?
>>
How do you build a manly man character?

A friend is starting a campaign at 5 and I decided to make a super-tough dick-kicker

Variant human fighter (battlemaster) 5
S-16 (1 asi for 18)
D-14 (for medium armor)
C-14
I-10
W-12
C-10

Tavern brawler at LV1

Gonna get shield master at 6 and MC into rogue at 7 for athletics expertise (better grappling)

What do you guys think?
>>
>>46938764
>>46938750
>>46938918
>>46939018
Put a dick in it Andrew. The humor isn't that somebody is gay, it's that a gay sword is pursuing a straight man. It would be just as funny if the sword was a straight female slut pursuing a gay fighter.
>>
File: 1442386441907.jpg (9 KB, 182x196) Image search: [Google]
1442386441907.jpg
9 KB, 182x196
>>46938725
>>46938750
>>46938764
>>46938781
>>46938918
>>46939018
>>46939116
>this is what being triggered looks like
>>
>>46935306
I had it at one point. It is bad... Like don't get it bad.
>>
>>46939613
This is what being a butthurt FAG looks like

t. andrew
>>
Quick /5eg/, how do I play healing durid?
>>
File: ez.png (188 KB, 340x243) Image search: [Google]
ez.png
188 KB, 340x243
>>46939695
>>
>>46939695
Multiclass into thief and then conjuration wizard. Conjure healing kits, then fast hands them to use.

Use polymorph as an emergency stabilizer.
>>
>>46939695
Start as a Life cleric. Then keep going life cleric.
>>
File: you just gotta calm down.gif (997 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
you just gotta calm down.gif
997 KB, 500x700
>>46939654
I'm not even the guy who wants to make cursed magic items, I've just never seen anyone melt down like this in /5eg/.
>>
Does Castle Ravenloft have a large balcony overlooking the 1000ft cliff?
>>
Thoughts on this houserule.

If you have advantage or disadvantage, the result of the second, unused dice informs whether you have succeeded with a circumstantial bonus or malus.

For example: I roll with advantage on a ranged attack. I roll a 20 and a 2. The 20 means I succeed in the attack, but the two results in the enemy I'm attacking diving behind thick cover, meaning future attacks will be made at disadvantage.
>>
>>46939837
>If you have advantage or disadvantage, the result of the second, unused dice informs whether you have succeeded with a circumstantial bonus or malus.
That's retarded. The entire point of advantage and disadvantage is to simplify combat and reduce the number of modifiers you need to keep track of, and here you are proposing the exact opposite of that.
>malus
That's EXTRA retarded. No one uses that word except for hipsters trying to sound novel.
>>
>>46939856
I like that advantage simplified combat, but it simplified combat too much for me and my players tastes. Malus was also the appropriate word, Andrew.
>>
File: technically an angry knight.jpg (34 KB, 400x313) Image search: [Google]
technically an angry knight.jpg
34 KB, 400x313
>>46932774
>a 15 foot gap is impossible
Even high school girls can clear 15 feet in a long jump.
>men's high school: nearly 27ft
>women's high school: over 22ft
>world record: 29.3ft

Yes, I'm starting another UNDERESTIMATED MARTIAL PROWESS bitchfest expressal of righteous indignation. Get in here.
>>
>>46939875
>>46939856
Also, I'm not proposing a return to plus twos and minus threes. Read the words Andrew.

What I'm proposing is something in line with what ffg star wars games do: pretty simple, but rich options for both the players and dm.
>>
>>46935699
>be me in combat
>can't roll above a 5
>nothing can hit me either so I stand off in a corner with three enemies and we slap fight while the rest of the party accomplishes things
>outside of fights, roll 20s constantly on incidental perception checks or fucking arcana and other untrained, non-fightery skills
>>
>>46939892
It should be noted that those high school girls specifically train for jumping, aren't wearing plate armor that never rusts, and have a much longer leg length than a dwarf.

I'd say 15 feet is borderline impossible for the average dwarf player character.
>>
>>46939875
>Malus was also the appropriate word, Andrew.
No it fucking isn't. Malus is rarely used outside the world of business, and this isn't the world of business. You seem to be the sort of person who thinks they look smart when they use an exotic synonym. I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but you don't look smart, you look like a pretentious jackass for not using the established lingo.

And who the fuck is Andrew?
>>
>>46939946
Andrew is a gay sword who wants to penetrate the anus.
>>
>>46939377
Barbarian instead of Fighter, surely? Go 15/15/15/8/8/8 and take a Feat like Tavern Brawler to start with 16s in all physical stats.

Rogue for Expertise and Sneak Attack (Reckless Attack gives you advantage so you can get bonus damage out of a Finesse weapon) is a good choice for a Barbarian anyway.

Depending on how your DM feels about on the fly improvised weapon ideas Bear Totem 2 and Tavern Brawler could be totally sweet.
>>
>>46939946
Malus is often used alongside bonus in the rpg context. Moreover, your understood what was meant.

This kind of semantic bullshit is why everybody hates you Andrew.
>>
>>46939837
Well Andrew, if it works for you then go ahead, but personally I think it's a pretty shit houserule

If one of my players suggested aomething like that I would say no, but if a DM did it I would take it, because I'm a forever DM and would he thankful for the chance to have someone else do all the hard work for a change
>>
>>46939987
>Malus is often used alongside bonus in the rpg context.
Where, nigger?
>>
>>46939934
>amazing adventurers who get up to realm-saving hijinx and astound everyone with their daring and skill outdone by real world teenagers once again
you're right anon, how could i have been so silly
i'll have to remind my players that if they want to do something even mildly competent they should cast a spell instead
magic is the only way for a guy who can drag two owlbears around by the neck and beat them to death with each other to outperform the average IRL athlete
thank you for setting me back on the course of fun D&D
>>
>>46937943
The flesh golem is for Strahd
>>
>>46939837
Punishing players for having advantage is stupid.
>>
>>46939998
When a system gets tired of saying "penalty" or "negative modifier" all the time.
I've seen it before, but I couldn't tell you exactly where.

Are we going to pretend like everyone is a retard who can't figure out what the word means without looking it up? I don't want to live in that world.
>>
File: Death House.jpg (228 KB, 1600x1112) Image search: [Google]
Death House.jpg
228 KB, 1600x1112
When planning out possible magical items for players how much do you take into account the mundane worth of the item? Going from the estimate gold values in the DMG mundane plate armour is worth significantly more than +1 Splint IIRC despite the latter being straight up better.
>>
>>46940054
>I've seen it before, but I couldn't tell you exactly where.
Even if you're not outright lying, I can still name over a dozen systems that don't use it. It's not the normal jargon, it's an exotic synonym that you think makes you look smart but actually shows everyone what a pretentious jackass you are. Deal with it.
>>
>>46940072
I don't, because my PCs aren't going to sell their magic item and I don't intend on dropping randomized loot that may not be useful to anyone in the party. If I'm handing out magic goodies in 5E, you can bet your sweet bippy it's either tailored for one character's use or would make 2-3 of them equally happy.

Like, why would I even bother dropping full plate in a party where no one even has medium armor proficiency? Or a magical great sword when the only melee fighter in the group is a Polearm Master?
>>
>>46939983
I did consider this, plus advantage AND expertise would mean I nobody could ever escape me

Take it one step further and pick a goliath and I would have a lv 6 lift of a bit over 1 ton

Problem with that is going barbarian and taking a 1 level dip in rogue just for expertise gives up one of the best capstones in the game, likewise going anything over barb 4 and then getting fighter levels would create extra attack redundancy and therefore be inefficient unless I only take fighter 4
>>
>>46940072
I tend not to worry too much. The effects of any enchantment are probably worth much more than the mundane item itself and I find PCs much prefer to hoard magic items than sell them, especially in 5e, so the price rarely comes into play. Unless you're letting them buy magic items, which the DMG warns you not to do lest you fall into 3e's magic mart system.
>>
>>46935871
>Said spirit is flamboyantly gay

Despite what the rest of /5eg/ says, I love this idea. Do it. If you've talked with your players about the fact that there just aren't that many magic items in the campaign already (like a reasonable DM), and they're still complaining (like unreasonable players), then the only recourse is passive-aggressiveness.
>>
>>46940104
Yo, I'm not the guy who brought it up in the first place, I'm just saying that I've definitely seen it before and you're severely underestimating the average person's intelligence when claiming that "malus" is some sort of archaic and obsolete word seen only in medieval manuscripts or the reference section of 1960s law books.

Also, please explain what the fuck "jargon" and "pretentious" are supposed to mean. I'm just a dumb everyman, I don't have the advantage of your high-falootin' college learning.
>>
>>46940024
This is a valid criticism, but I think it's with remembering that the players also have a chance to get a unique bonus. It probably all washes out in the end.
>>
>>46940126
>Problem with that is going barbarian and taking a 1 level dip in rogue just for expertise gives up one of the best capstones in the game
Why does everyone always fucking theorycraft like a game going to 20 is a certainty? We already waste enough time when we consider level 11+ features as relevant despite the average group fizzling out long before then.
>>
>>46940166
I'm fairly well-read, but I don't think I've ever heard the world "malus" used before anywhere, let alone in RPGs.
>>
>>46939999
check em
>>
>>46940193
I've definitely seen it in some Star Wars RPGs, and that's even fucking goofier when you consider there is a Darth NAMED Malus that should confuse people.
>>
>>46940193
Today is a day of firsts for you then! Maybe you'll finally lose your virginity today too, Andrew.
>>
>>46940183
>but I think it's with remembering that the players also have a chance to get a unique bonus

But it's still a punishment for having advantage. Shouldn't be done.
>>
>>46940166
>and you're severely underestimating the average person's intelligence when claiming that "malus" is some sort of archaic and obsolete word seen only in medieval manuscripts or the reference section of 1960s law books.
Don't pretend that this has anything to do with intelligence. Any 4 men with 5 brain cells between them could deduce that malus means penalty.
>>
>>46932873
Mountain Dwarf Sun Soul Monk? Use a shortsword as your Monk Weapon, wear half plate since Mountain Dwarf gives you medium armour proficiency.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.