[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Our horses can gallop for days on end > the dorf hunts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 600x524) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 600x524
> Our horses can gallop for days on end
> the dorf hunts for deer with an enchanted battleaxe
> The main roads are always absolutely swarming with armies of goblins and raiders
> it takes four days to get from the heart of Not!Rome to Not!China
> Cooking raw meat is as easy as sticking it over a fire for an hour or so
> all our supplies fit in a small rucksack
> paladin never takes off full plate armour
> we always sleep outside, always
> we just finished a grueling weeklong journey only to immediately walk into a library to start reserching
I don't think my party has ever actually seen a forest in real life
Pic absolutely related
>>
>>46925571
> The main roads are always absolutely swarming with armies of goblins and raiders
That one sounds like it's on the GM rather than the players.
>>
>>46925571
>Cooking raw meat is as easy as sticking it over a fire for an hour or so
>we always sleep outside, always
>we just finished a grueling weeklong journey only to immediately walk into a library to start researching

Holy shit I'm not the only one, this shit is infuriating.

You also forgot,
>They're always eating rations
>When they're not eating rations, they're wearing a ring that keeps them full and hydrated
>Speaking of hydrated, it's always ale all the time

Holy shit dude, you're a person not a robot, stop acting like you can live off dried meat and berries for weeks on end in the middle of the forest, only to immediately return to civilization and spend all your time reading a book, forging a sword or drinking beer.
>>
>>46925571
I've started giving disadvantage on social rolls if they don't have a solid rest after a long trip for shit like bathing and mending clothes.

I've also told players to consider getting medium armor under robes if they really wanted to stay armored all the time.
>>
>>46925571
>Cooking raw meat is as easy as sticking it over a fire for an hour or so
After you clean and gut the critter it kinda is. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

Making it taste good is another thing entirely, but cooking it isn't.
>>
>>46925712
>Making it taste good is another thing entirely, but cooking it isn't.

So why do we never see players with a little pouch of salt with them, or maybe a little container of spices or rubs or any other multitude of things that will make the meat taste better than "the gamiest shit in the land."
>>
>>46925571
>Live, healthy trees immediately engulf in flames should they ever come into contact with fire
>>
>>46925728
Gamey meat isn't that bad, it just tends to have a bit of a smell to it.
>>
Because we are playing a fantasy adventure game, not a wilderness survival simulator. Let the mundane stuff happen off screen so we can get to the good stuff that actually matters to the story.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2054x2513) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2054x2513
>>46925728
Suddenly I want to play Samwise Gamgee
>>
>>46925841

Just put points into Profession (Chef) and Knowledge (Nature).

Now you can make dinner *and* find the right ingredients.
>>
That sounds like regular D&D. You know there is a reason it's called high fantasy and there are more "realistic" systems.
>>
>>46925841
Potatoes!
>>
>>46925853
Just use the survival skill.
>>
>>46925738
This so much
>>
>>46925571
>the dorf hunts for deer with an enchanted battleaxe

Well D&D animals ARE insanely territorial, aggressive, bloodthirsty and strong. So it's either traps, sniping or donning armor and rolling out the big guns.
>>
>>46925877
>>46925822

What's the point in slaying the dragon and getting tons of money if you're never going to spend it, or never spend it on creature comforts?

>>46925898

He wants to cook up a good dinner, survival simply lets you get enough food to survive.
>>
>>46925728
You can just assume all that happens in the background. Like, you never roleplay the characters taking a dump do you know? Same thing here, it's a irrelevant part of the story and doesn't need to be even brought up.
>>
>>46925924
>I want to use 3.5's retarded granulation rules
Survival lets you cock and figure out what the shit you find innawoods tastes like. Now stop being autistic about it.
>>
File: 17608_510.jpg (37 KB, 510x387) Image search: [Google]
17608_510.jpg
37 KB, 510x387
>play a forest-wise barbarian
>can't wait to RP proper hunting, camping and cooking elaborate meals for the lads
>DMPC just throws down a Heroic Feast when the party gets hungry and everyone just sleeps in armor wherever
>>
>>46925924
>What's the point in slaying the dragon and getting tons of money
A) exp
B) loot
>>
>>46925924
Obviously to buy insane enchanted weapons/armor, insane spells and fucking castles. Then duke it out with bigger dragons.
>>
>>46925571
this I can mostly blame on the GM not doing a better job of conveying how grueling and/or miserable being out in the wilderness is.

have it start raining, did any of them bring wet-weather gear? no? then describe to them that their characters are now cold and wet and all their gear is damp. even if they have a cloak to put on themselves this doesn't change that their gear may still be soaked and definitely everything around them certainly is so so much for having a fire tonight. Did they bring a tent? no? just bedrolls? well I hope they like sleeping in the mud, being rained on, and still having no fire because no one could find any dry anything to burn.

If they are in any way good role players, I can assure you that the very first thing they are going to want more than even furthering the plot is going to be hot food and a warm bed, expenses be damned.
>>
>>46925728
I..I never put anything on my steak, I just cook it. I think it tastes great...
>>
File: Hiking.jpg (158 KB, 972x350) Image search: [Google]
Hiking.jpg
158 KB, 972x350
>>46925571
It's almost like they're modern sedentary nerds playing a game for fantasy violence instead of a hiking simulator.

>Hiking Simulator: The RPG!
>Roleplay your pangs of hunger and exhaustion as you struggle under the weight of your possessions!
>Know the position of every piece of garbage and lint in your inventory, all the way down to individual pocket depth
>Specify all your actions down to the hour! Feel every moment of the journey.
>Experience the finer irritations of travel with the Random Inconveniences tables!
>New crafting system tells you exactly how long it takes to prepare meals!
>Maintain a healthy diet with realistic nutrition mechanics
>Let your character bitch and moan by rolling on our realistic Complaining Tables!
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 628x267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 628x267
>>46925738
Holy Shit, this brings back memories.
I once went on this sort of 'camping trip' where there were essentially a bunch of dudes like three hours away from a town sitting around a campsite chilling. Near night I saw a these two fat Americans (this happened in Manitoba) and their son throwing full logs onto this little tiny fire that was like 70% wrappers and newspaper. Obvously nothing happened. After a while one of them got angry and drove down down to this small shop where you can buy supplies and stuff. He comes back with these fire starter logs that start an intense fire, for all of two minutes. Them go out. They just ate Cliff bars that night. The next day the dad left for six hours and came back with food from Walmart that didn't need cooking. I honestly did not think humans like this existed. We could have helped them, but c'mon would you have?
>>
>>46925571
Some people play these games to escape the trouble and toil of life.
>>
>>46925663
>I've started giving disadvantage on social rolls if they don't have a solid rest after a long trip for shit like bathing and mending clothes.

Prestidigitation and Mending cantrips.
>>
>>46925853
With my 2+Int skillpoints? Eat a goddamn dick, I need those for perception and shit to -not die-.

This is incidentally why most players don't give a shit about this stuff. They literally can't. No room for fluffy skills.
>>
>>46926109
We were just talking about how eating raw meat is unrealistic
>>
>>46926028
you're steak is far and away different from some deer or rabbit you just shot and gutted.
>>
Holy fuck are simulationists really this autistic?
>>
>>46926109
Don't play D&D.
>>
>>46926109
>With my 2+Int skillpoints?
Just play 5e already.
>>
>>46926098
The rest is still needed to recover. But yes I allow the use of it. Turns out mending comes in very handy for a gish who wears concealed armor.
>>
>>46925644
I started giving my party various minute morale bonuses for staying comfy. Also, and I know this sounds silly, wearing a piece of clothing your character would wear like a wizard hat or elf ears really helps players act in-character. Something about dressing up like someone else makes it easier to say "fuck you guys, I'm sleeping at the inn".
>>
>>46926044
Not being able to start a fire is an issue I would face, I've never learned such a skill beyond reading how to in a book once and not remembering it.

Firestarting isn't a skill that rears its head in my day to day life to be fair.
>>
>>46925571
You could just as easily have said
>Player can take inhuman amounts of damage
>There are fucking dungeons scattered across the world with monsters and loot in them
>The fighter can get smacked by something with 14x his bodymass and take it on his shield.

If you're playing a game made for people who for some reason want vidya without graphics you shouldn't be surprised when they treat it like vidya without graphics.

If you wanted a down to earth, believable experience that focuses on basic human needs and surviving from day to day, why the fuck did you join a D&D game in the first place?
>>
>>46926200
I've aten deer that I shot and it tasted good without extra spices.
>>
>>46925853
A player in my party has craft(food) and every night she rolls to see what she can make with what they have. It's quick and doesn't get in the way but allows the players some potential for comfy moments they're free to expand on if they want.
>>
File: faerunlarge.jpg (6 MB, 4763x3185) Image search: [Google]
faerunlarge.jpg
6 MB, 4763x3185
>>46925571
This got me curious enough to open up a world map of Forgotten Realms. Let's say Amn is !Rome and the Sword Coast to the north probably could fit into !Gaul and !Germania while to the south is !NorthAfrica and far to the south East is !Middle-East.

Startpoint being Athkatla. Now, I can see two ways to travel and I really don't think it'd be feasible to use only horse, especially since that would require going through marked trails in the great !Germania far from civilization around the Sea of Fallen Stars. That'd take months if not years.

I'd propose using a land until reaching the Sea o Fallen Stars and then taking a boat, if the party has a wagon I'd take the long way heading first south then east to Alaghon in Turmish to make use of well traveled roads (1600miles). If not head north and east by trails to Westgate in the dragon coast (1200miles).

Either choice would result in using a boat to get to Telflamm in Thesk, road until the river crossing at Mulsantir (500miles), then about 3000 miles worth of road to Shou Lung which is !China.

This works out to about 5000ish miles by horse and about 3000 miles by boat. Presuming 40 miles per day by horse (125days) and 100 miles per day by sailing ship (30days). We can be there in about 5 months, not including detours due to wars/plagues or political intrigue.

Or the mage can teleport us there instantly. Either's good.
>>
>>46925571
Anon, if you want gritty realistic survival, play a game that reflects that, or get a DM who can make the setting reflect that.
>>
>>46926044
>>46926315
This. If you don't have a wood stove at home or just regularily build campfires for funsies in your garden, chances are that you don't have the slightest about how to go on about it.
>>
>>46926413
>Or the mage can teleport us there instantly.
>not familiar, fail roll, land in Thay
>>
>>46925571

So aggravating. Just finished playing a 5E campaign that was otherwise great except for it taking us like 2-3 weeks to sail across the whole world. In another game I was DMing with a lot of the same players, finding out it would take three weeks to travel from one town to the next was met with shock.
>>
>>46926514
Are we talking big towns here, or is every fucking hamlet 3 weeks away from everything else?
>>
>>46926522

Big towns - going from one major port on the eastern coast on the narrow part of a smallish continent to another on the western coast.
>>
>>46926037
>Random Inconveniences tables
I'm so gonna write one up tomorrow
>>
>>46926522
Still, big towns should be like a day or two's ride on horse.
Cities should be a few days at a stroll, or maybe a day on a hard ride if you push the horses.
Major cities at least a week apart if not more unless you're literally medieval italy or the levant.
>>
>>46925571
>>46925644
Cooking raw meat is really fucking easy, have you never ever been outside hunting, fishing or camping ?
>>
>>46926620
Hell, have you guys never operated a barbeque before?
>>
>>46926604

Then I will adjust accordingly in the future. Thanks anon!
>>
>>46926398
>he doesn't know about the secret government program to breed genetically engineered bushes that preseason wild game
>>
>>46925571
>Our horses can gallop for days on end
Sounds like it's either the DM handwaving it or not knowing about horses, meaning it's probably because people don't want to play ration tracking: the game (which can be fun, but most people don't want to play all that all the time).

iirc enchanted weapons in most games (definitely some editions of D&D) are magically durable, and if you don't want to budget weight in your pack for a nonmagical spear or something that should be fine.

That's a setting thing and comes down to the DM's preference.

If the DM is going for a realistic setting, that's a fair point.

Yeah, after you spend a minute prepping the meat (pulling out the guts and such).

Depends on how much we're talking about in terms of supplies. Could be fine, could be handwaving for ease of gameplay.

Again, comes down to how much realism people want.

I guess the group cares more about cash than comfort?

> we just finished a grueling weeklong journey only to immediately walk into a library to start reserching
Again, how much realism do people want?

It sounds like you're looking for a much more realistic game than the rest of your group, whereas they probably want to be big damn heroes and kill the shit out of the bad guys.
>>
>Hey guys, let's take an system designed to have fun and go on quests with, and make it shifty by over complicating it with unnecessary rules to make it more real!
>yeah! Isint the whole idea behind RPGS to enjoy how boring and difficult everyday life can be! But in fantasy!
>>
>>46925949
/thread
>>
>>46925974
>DMPC
You've got bigger problems than not being able to enjoy the full wilderness survival experience.
>>
File: nsuc7qebu9i5.jpg (412 KB, 1600x1019) Image search: [Google]
nsuc7qebu9i5.jpg
412 KB, 1600x1019
>>46926413
A 5000 mile trip and back again should be an adventure in of itself.

Actually, how would stereotypical low level adventurers, fighter, cleric, mage, rogue, prepare for a journey like that? I'd go find a merchant house or guild to find out about trade routes and possibly hire on to a merchant caravan making the trip.
>>
>>46926719
Darksun and Al-Qadim had really nice caravan centered stuff.
>>
>>46926649
I can see problem with axe being very bad hunting weapon. Enchanting (unless it was like fucking fire damage) would probably help, but still you'd have to get very close to deer and perform clean decapitation. Otherwise you'd just ruin the meat if you swing your axe in general direction.
>>
>>46926553
>>46926522
>taking the boat
Reminder that ships and crews regularily were stuck in a harbour for six to ten months because they failed to leave within the sailing season due to bad weather, due to late deliveries of essential supplies or due to bureaucratic issues. Plenty of harbours also took the main rudder of all ships entering port into custody, which made sailing off without the port authority's blessing a terrible idea.

Spending months in port waiting for the winds to turn homewards again wasn't unusual either.
>>
>>46926484

> Party mage revealed to be a Thayan agent
> just as planned
>>
File: 1454927780912.gif (767 KB, 500x517) Image search: [Google]
1454927780912.gif
767 KB, 500x517
>players are uninterested in being paid in goods like exotic spices or flour that can be sold in another village and only care about gold or magic items
>>
>>46926839
>characters get knighthoods and their first magic items
>for bringing a satchel of tobacco to the king of not!France
>>
>>46926773
I'll just steal all the rudders, and all the supplies, and then row the galleon out into the ocean with my own strength.
>>
File: 1459871280604.jpg (50 KB, 460x320) Image search: [Google]
1459871280604.jpg
50 KB, 460x320
>>46926839
>applying too much logic and historical Acura cites to a fantasy game played by friends.
I like historical fantasy too, but now you're just being a cunt about it.
>>
File: so angry.jpg (29 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
so angry.jpg
29 KB, 624x480
>Things aren't super realistic
I'm completely fine with that, I don't want to play Greggory the pockmarked farmboy who achieved nothing because adventurers aren't realistic and he died at the elderly age of 23 from plague or infection.
>>
>>46926719
In increments.

Plenty of people were pacing their part parts of the treck - like the route from Venice to the Levantes - but very few people in every generation would actually travel all the way. And even of those few, none would have made the journey in a single push. The changes of season, business opportunites, political considerations and simple fatigue and sicknesses would keep such world travellers in one place or another for extended periods of their journey. Stops between a few months and a few years weren't unusual.
>>
>>46926773

This was discussing overland travel; they couldn't take the boat for the reasons described and because of some other trade restrictions.

For clarity as well, this wasn't "There were only two towns, one on the east side, one on the west, and nothing between." They had to go to the town on the west coast for a specific reason, and there were large numbers of dispersed hamlets, small villages, and farming steads between each point.
>>
>>46926044

I'm american, and i know how to start a fire. I live in the Rockies and i go camping all the time. We aren't all like that, and i can think of plenty of times i've seen tourists from Europe who have no idea what the hell they are doing. And don't even get me started on the Asians. And yes i know plenty of Americans who would die out in the woods as well. The point is its people from cities, not just Americans.
>>
I've never really considered my players permanently wearing armor to be an issue, I even remove the penalties for it in games when it exists.(Physical, not social.)
>>
>>46925924
Because money is for badass magical gear. comfort be damned.
>>
File: we Monhan now.jpg (31 KB, 510x695) Image search: [Google]
we Monhan now.jpg
31 KB, 510x695
>>46926908
>I'll just steal all the rudders,

You better be a D&D-character then, because the lvl 1 commoners had cranes to lift those.
>>
>>46926719
This actually is one of the most enjoyable concepts for a quest I've heard in a while.
>>
File: Iron Man Demonic Fantasy.jpg (150 KB, 1004x700) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man Demonic Fantasy.jpg
150 KB, 1004x700
>>46925571
Anyone assuming horses are galloping or carrying their riders for the whole day is probably pretty dumb.
This is sorta possible. Humans used to hunt by tracking and chasing game overland for long distances. Usually you would use a spear to hunt like this, but strictly speaking, there's nothing saying you can't use an axe.
T. Someone who hasn't lived in a feudal society, or one that recently had a governmental collapse or a recent war in their country.
If you're going 130km/h for twelve hours per day, sure. You could do Venice to Beijing.
It actually kind of is. You cut up the meat into smaller portions, and you stick it on a fire.
Boom. Cooked meat.
Ever hear of packing light? It can suck pretty hard, but it's possible to do long overland trips with it.
This shit triggers me. It's to the point where I'll try my damnedest to get plate armor that can fit into a bag of holding or something. And armor that can magically put itself on me.
That shit's a godsend.
Murderhobos, inc.
I've went motorcycling for an entire week only to immediately go back to work. It sucks, but it's doable. I imagine if you were saving the land/kingdom/princess/planet, you could find the motivation to get right to work once you roll into town.
>>
>>46927126
If an "adventurer" wants comfort they are in the wrong line of work. They can sell their magical gear and retire to be comfortable, and help a new young murderhobo get better.
>>
>>46927126
>I only played 3.5
I tend to make ruins rare, tombs already looted, and magic items be either major heirlooms or things of deep significance.
>>
>>46926952
>implying I care about realism
I just want economics.
>>
>>46926284
I do. Doesn't help the retards that cry about it being bland or shit.
>>
>>46926481
Come on, you don't need to regularly start fires in your garden to know how to start a fire, as long as you've done it three or four times total at least the basics will stick with you.
And it's not like it's an extremely hard problem to solve.

Small stuff has higher surface area, so it burns better
dry wood burns better

That's basically all knowledge you need to make at least a shitty fire.
>>
File: Churrasco pau.jpg (458 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
Churrasco pau.jpg
458 KB, 1600x901
>>46925571
>>46926620
Bunch of idiots right? I can do it in half an hour.

Actually, it was a bear. My dorf barbarian which loathed weird things like money got to bribe a whole tavern with free bear meat, plus he befriended the nobleman's dogs.

I once also bartered a deal with a villain giving him a drum made of troll hide. It healed any puncture.

>>46925712
Raw meat is already good.

After an hour over a fire it's better.

Sometimes I don't even bother with salt.

>>46926630
If you have to operate something, it's already too complex. A knife makes skewers out of taquara bamboos, a hole in the ground, wood, some journal, and there you go. Churrasco!

>>46925738
That's why we let our wood to dry before using it. I mostly use charcoal, but some cork oak really improves the taste of the meat.

>>46925949
This guy gets it. I only used dumps for roleplay purposes.

>>46926044
I didn't even knew fire starter logs existed, how much those things cost over jornal?

>>46926109
We had a houserule once where all skills would get a bonus equal to 1/4 the PC's level, to represent the overall experience of learning and seing all kinds of things, and giving the chance to do simple stuff like sewing a robe.

>>46926574
Please share when you do.

>>46926719
Check Marco Polo's or Ibn Batuta's travels.
>>
>>46927260
I've literally never played 3.5
>>
>>46926303

This is because the clothes really do make the part.

If you put people in lab coats they literally get smarter.
>>
>>46927346
>We had a houserule once where all skills would get a bonus equal to 1/4 the PC's level, to represent the overall experience of learning and seing all kinds of things, and giving the chance to do simple stuff like sewing a robe.

Get out, 4rry.
>>
>>46927486
I never played D&D 4th edition you dumbfuck.

No one in my group even got to buying any of the books, this was a house rule in our "3.75".
>>
File: population density.jpg (178 KB, 856x688) Image search: [Google]
population density.jpg
178 KB, 856x688
>setting is not! medieval Europe
>Huge swaths of untamed forest
>Camping outdoor common enough because traveling between populated places takes long
>Uninhabited areas
>Abandoned castles everywhere
>200.000 strong doomstack army marches across a mountain range with minimal attrition losses and then proceeds to besiege the city of ProudHumanNation for 2 year without supply problems
>>
>>46927675
>minimal attrition losses
>without supply problems
You don't know your history, do you?
>>
>>46926303
At this point for 5E I basically require
- Normal clothes to wear under armor
- Travel clothes (which I consider to be just a cloak, hat and good boots) on top or you get disadvantage on some survival related checks

Fine clothes gives advantage on some checks related to cold weather because it's usually wool or fine leather. I might let them get away with some sort of advantage in social situations with figures of authority if they ever go for silk/velvet art object priced clothing.
>>
>>46927700
I am not sure what you mean or what you think I meant.
>>
>>46927675
>density map of medieval Europe
oh, shit I love you
>>
>>46926284
Any edition but 3.X, really.
>>
File: grain surplus and deficit.png (357 KB, 784x808) Image search: [Google]
grain surplus and deficit.png
357 KB, 784x808
>>46927737
And there is more!
>>
>>46927715
Hannibal's army lost over 20,000 troops and over 30 elephants crossing the Alps, that's what I fucking meant.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 550x991) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 550x991
>>46927346
For reference fire starter logs are logs them have been soaked in a solution that makes them burn intensely for brief periods. I don't know the exact name for them but you can pick them up at nearly every place that sells firewood.

By the way. I totally agree with the anon who said long journeys should be an adventure. I make my players roll a die or two for every day of travel, and trips can last weeks. It tends to pass faster then you would think and gives the trip a LotR vibe.
>>
>>46927737
*Correction it's not medieval since you got places like the Dutch republic and Brandenburg
>>
In this thread we have learned that some people want to play Oregon Trail the table top game and others don't.
>>
>>46925728
Because only you are that autistic to need your players to explain exactly how the cook their meat in a fucking table top roleplaying game.
>>
File: Extent_of_the_Hansa-optimiert.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1098) Image search: [Google]
Extent_of_the_Hansa-optimiert.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1098
>>46927773
I think you didn't catch the context of my post, like the OP I was posting things that were wrong in greentext.
>>
>>46927782
Brandenburg existed towards the 14th century.

That said, something that covers roughly late renaissance to early modern is good too, I'm trying to use it as a rough guide for world building.
>>
>>46927675
>>46927675
>>200.000 strong doomstack army marches across a mountain range with minimal attrition losses and then proceeds to besiege the city of ProudHumanNation for 2 year without supply problems
This one doesn't seem so bad. A BBEG leading an Army of Doom isn't going to care about losing a tens of thousands of orcs to attrition. It'll just make them that much meaner.

>>46927773
I don't think you understood the original post. It's a list of things that bother him.
>>
>>46925663
I've never really had this problem with my players.
Their characters are always bathed when they have the opportunity, prefer to have nice meals and have cooking supplies, sleep and rest regularly, drink water, and used to carry around their stuff on a cart pulled by an ox.

Of course, the cart has upgraded in to a sizable wagon pulled by a mammoth at this point, and they now keep chickens and feathered compsognathus on board in small animal cages for eggs and meat, so as far as the players doing things to keep their characters healthy, they've definitely put in the work.

Pic related, pretty much what the wagon looks like, including a large cage area converted in to storage space.
>>
>group of acolytes of the holy inquisition in the 41th millennium
>rent nice rooms in a hotel
>get up early in the morning
>trade some goods on the black market
>investigate some cult or other for a few hours
>decide to let some guardsmen handle the heavy lifting for us
>return to hotel
>chat with the receptionist lady
>go to bed after being awake for barely 12 hours
>repeat for 5 days
>cultists start a riot
>make use of several las weapons and explosives
>day is saved but hotel got ruined
>return to =][= ship to give a report and have a nap

Laziest party ever but we sure solve problems while being comfy
>>
>>46927675
>>setting is not! medieval Europe
>>Huge swaths of untamed forest
Well, only if you travel far away from society. Otherwise there would of course be people who take care of the forest.
>>Abandoned castles everywhere
Why would you abandon a castle? Unless forced out of it by famine or war, but otherwise...?
>>200.000 strong doomstack army marches across a mountain range with minimal attrition losses and then proceeds to besiege the city of ProudHumanNation for 2 year without supply problems
I know it's fantasy and all, but what kind of medievel society could support an army of 200.000 men? Maintaining an army is quite costly, even more so if it's a big one.
>>
>>46927918
>Mammoth cart
Nice.
>>
>>46926641
Finally, a government program I can get behind!
>>
>>46927675
>>46927763

What's the date for those two maps? I can more orless deduce it roughly, it's clearly late medieval or early modern, but I would like a confirmation.
>>
>>46925571

People do that? Whenever our party has horses the DM always puts it as something along the lines of "going at the fastest maintainable speed...", giving a chance for people to properly go into a gallop when they see something they need to get to ASAP.
>>
>>46927946
In Western Europe the largest forests you could find were those protected by royal order or unfarmable but even then it's not much more than 40-80 kilometers in the longest direction. Not something you could get lost in or hide an army in.
>>
>>46927996
Probably early 17th century between the two sieges of Vienna for the first one.
>>
>>46927675
What's with the sudden drop between the south of france and the north of spain?
>>
The rucksack comment made me think - does every party have that one person that gets extradimensional storage as fast as possible? In our party it's me, and it's never failed to be useful.
>>
>>46927996
The grain one is 16th century. No idea what the other was.

>>46928053
Massif Central

The one near the Loire is La Sologne
>>
>>46928053
>>46928078
Or do you mean the Pyrenees?
>>
>>46927346
Damn your post made me hungry.
>>
>>46925728
Or because those things are goddamn expensive in a medieval world? Like, wars were fought over that shit. They probably just don't have them, unless the player specifically wants their character to be a good cook or something.
>>
>>46928053
Spain was underpopulated in general for pretty much all it's history and still is to a certain degree. That's one of if not the main reason to explain why most ex-spanish colonies are not like the USA or Canada.
>>
File: aldersalmon4-10-1200x800.jpg (202 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
aldersalmon4-10-1200x800.jpg
202 KB, 1200x800
>>46925728
Same guy from >>46927918
As far as spicing up meals go, someone will take the occasional skirmish in to the woods to pick herbs, or purchase spices and cooking supplies where they can and attempt to cook things they really shouldn't.

Like finding wild herbs after killing a pack of bulettes and attempting to cook up some bulette meat, described as being an acquired taste akin to elephant.

The herbs were mildly poisonous. Everyone rolled extremely well to eat it despite being an awful acquired taste and having poisoned, if flavorful, herbs cooked with it.

The party now has a new favorite dish.
>>
>>46925571
>> it takes four days to get from the heart of Not!Rome to Not!China

Yeah, this one bugs me. Players should be going on a journey. That's where all the exciting stuff happens, on the road.

I ran a oneshot and mentioned in passing that it was a week's journey from the town to the dungeon, and everyone was like "whoa, really?"
>>
>>46928198
The low density areas are also why Canada isn't majority french. French was very populous, but has a lot of areas that could still be settled internally.

It was the one european country in the 19th century that was a net recipient for immigration.
>>
>>46928098
Yeah, how it abruptly goes from over 60 per square mile north of the Pyrenees to 10-30 south of it.
>>
>>46927198
Nigger, feudal societies didn't have ARMIES OF RAIDERS SWARMING THE ROADS, holy shit.
>>
>>46928294
Basically the dense areas are Castille, the catalan coast, and Grenada. The kings of Leon handing over the most populous part of their realm to a single vassal was really not smart.
>>
>>46925571
Provided you have the right gear, sleeping outside is comfy as fuck.

I always slept better on field trips than in the barracks. Only problem was I'd get 3 hours at most before somebody would wake me up and tell me it was my turn to stagger through the pitch black woods in the pouring rain to stand in a muddy hole for an hour before getting to go back, if you were lucky.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 600x517) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 600x517
Lack of realism only got to me once. We were making our way across a vast dessert, a five day journey, on horseback, and the GM insisted we kept them watered and kept ourselves hydrated from the same moderately large waterskins (as in 2). Firstly, that's barley enough for a person to drink from. Secondly, have you seen how much horses drink? These are huge animals that sweat like crazy even in mild weather. When I brought it up the GM refused to hand wave it, acting as if I was being too anal about realism.

I mean I'm not autistic for wanting this right?
>>
File: 1550_StVictor.jpg (6 MB, 4499x3719) Image search: [Google]
1550_StVictor.jpg
6 MB, 4499x3719
>>46928294
Spain is a mountainous shithole whose demographic makeup was absolutely wrecked by the Black Death.

The entire west coast of France (with the possible exception of Brittany) is part of the European plain or low lands. It's on the best possible latitude, flat country, full of rivers and profits fully from the gulf stream. To this day grain yields in France remain among the highest in western Europe.
>>
File: 1385629045394.jpg (226 KB, 786x864) Image search: [Google]
1385629045394.jpg
226 KB, 786x864
>>46925853
>old Dark Heresy
>play cleric
>pick cooking as the free starting trade
>become team mom that cooks for the whole group
>we save money we'd otherwise have to spend to keep fed
>especially handy since I had spend all my starting wealth on grenades
>>
>>46928399
at least you drank

My GM made us trek through literal miles of rusty weapons, armors and other such shit, with nothing to drink and eat. We had to look for the Macguffin, and that took five ingames days, 20 fucking dice rolls per person, meaning that we had to roll our dice 100 fucking times each to succeed the roll.

Five days without water and food. When I asked the GM where we got our food, he told me ''It's just a minor detail, whatever''

Needless to say, I never came back for the second session
>>
>>46928399
Not really.

But you are a bit foolish for expecting it on the spot. Setting up interesting and reasonable rules for one short journey is WAY more trouble than it's worth. But if you're running a hexcrawl-type campaign that's focused on travel and exploration, having a ruleset for tracking rations and supplies and so forth can be really rewarding. It's all about what your game is focused on.
>>
File: I CAST FIST.jpg (234 KB, 600x890) Image search: [Google]
I CAST FIST.jpg
234 KB, 600x890
>>46927144
I will benchpress their cranes while I'm at it
>>
File: told you about the guilds bro.png (31 KB, 1412x154) Image search: [Google]
told you about the guilds bro.png
31 KB, 1412x154
>>
>>46925953

This, all those Profession(underwater basket weaving) skills are goddamn retarded.

Hurpadurp Lv20 fighter cant be the best soldier because lolnoskillpoints.
>>
>>46926620
Depends on the meat. Fish is a breeze, but I wouldn't trust myself to cook pork on a campfire out in the boonies.
>>
>>46928763
One 2E RPGA game had a really nice way to do downtime income (technically it was a monthly allowance for when you weren't adventuring).

Something like roll starting money without the x10 (or divide by 10 if you don't have that), and multiply by half the average of Wis and Cha.
>>
>>46928880
>Wis and Cha
>nothing for hard labor Str jobs
How odd.
>>
>>46927817
The ones who don't are wrong.
>>
>>46928897
It was more about your ability to negotiate wages.

Hard Labor is con, and more importantly is unskilled through most of the periods covered by fantasy shit.

Wis and Cha is your ability to get paid a better salary, and Wis also helps, in theory, your mental resiliance to shit labor.
>>
>>46928807

This man has a point, certain meats are a lot harder to cook than others, and some of them (pork especially) you need to be very careful with. Yes stick + fire will work, but you still need to make sure it cooks through evenly and you don't have parts that are still raw, and that can take some time and effort.
>>
>Not stewing your food

It's almost like you don't want fresh caught rabbit with taters.
>>
File: Hare.jpg (8 KB, 120x230) Image search: [Google]
Hare.jpg
8 KB, 120x230
>>46929160
Boil 'em, Mash 'em, Stick 'em in a stew
>>
File: hunger games.png (40 KB, 807x151) Image search: [Google]
hunger games.png
40 KB, 807x151
>>46929219
Add a little bone meal for taste.
>>
>>46925571

It won't necessarily be good but it would work. Hell, you don't even have to cook it if you intend to immediately eat it.
>>
>>46925644
>a ring that keeps them full and hydrated
literally what , fuck off with this bullshit. this should never be a thing in any game ever
>>
File: Doth thou jest?.jpg (54 KB, 600x903) Image search: [Google]
Doth thou jest?.jpg
54 KB, 600x903
>>46927346
>Raw meat is already good.

I hate this meme
>>
>>46928712

Funny enough this is basically exactly how modern clinical medicine works
>>
File: 18u9eyn25afz0jpg.jpg (40 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
18u9eyn25afz0jpg.jpg
40 KB, 636x358
>>46929407
>"Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads"
>>
>>46929392
>Hell, you don't even have to cook it if you intend to immediately eat it.

Enjoy your worms then
>>
>>46929484
How so?
>>
>>46925644
In some places water was filled with diseases and really bad for you so ale and beer was drunk (drank? Sorry, English is my second tongue) more than water. Ofcourse it's alcohol content was far less than recreational drinks were and were often described as 'drinkable dinner' in consistency.
>>
>>46928712
Does anyone have a good resource to read about guilds?
>>
>>46925644
Minus the ring that last part sounds like college
>>
>>46929562
Same reason for tea really.

Wool and dirt filtration wasn't generally unknown, though, and afaik was at least very well known in the early modern period.
>>
>>46925949
>Not making your players RP taking dumps
>Not having them shit themselves in combat

shiggy
>>
>>46929534

Each specialty is its own club, and they hate it when one specialty tries to move in on pathologies or procedures classically handled by another. For example, radiologists and oncologists have a lot of political drama over who does what work.
>>
>>46929562

It's also worth noting that primitive alcoholic beverages were (mostly) of much lower alcoholic content. It was enough to kill bacteria but not enough to get drunk off of, really.
>>
>>46928712
I don't know why I'm laughing so hard at that filename

Now I've got to throw together an artisans campaign in a large city.
>>
>>46925571
I can shamefully say that in my current campaign I can only remember my character bathing once during the entirety of the over 20 session long campaign.

He must smell absolutely horrid at this point.
>>
Speaking of horses that can gallop for days on end, I have a small fistful of questions. Pathfinder, mind.

Would stamina constraints matter to horses summoned via the Mount spell?
Could I use a horse summoned via the Mount spell to pull a wagon?

Should I invest in traveling luxuries if I do the above and can afford it? I.E. collapsible bathtub
>>
>>46927198
The paladin never taking off his armor is the thing that triggers you the most, out of all this? And you really believe that every road being swarmed by armies is reasonable?
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 207x200
>>46929809
> traveling a major road between two cities with large military's
> Mobbed by pack of wild wolves
> Attacked by small army of Goblins
> meet kindly old trader with no guards
> attacked by all the raiders in the universe
Wut?
>>
>>46927285
I managed to work out how to start a campfire when I was 12 years old. Of course I had a lighter with me at the time, which made it a bit easier, but it's not difficult to find some tinder, which you then use to ignite some larger logs.
>>
While we're talking about this stuff, there is actually a way to make players do something interesting between a slicing goblin ass area and the other? is background and handwaving really the only way to treat travels?
>>
File: 1460265767903.jpg (18 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1460265767903.jpg
18 KB, 384x384
>>46926037
I mean, I know you're being facetious, but that sounds amazing with the right group and DM. I would play the shit out of a realistic low level adventuring party.
>>
What I hate more than someone enforcing this shit, is when a dm selectively enforces this shit.

If you are going to sperg, do it in game one or not at all. I always move to have the dm changed if they start enforcing penalties for the way our characters act because he ran out of challenges for us.
>>
>>46926641
Toriko please go.
>>
>>46926155
I just got this
>>
>>46926037
I want those tables anon
>>
>>46926271
Yes.
I think it could be fun to try but only if everyone is aware of what's going on and what to expect from the get go.
>>
>>46925728
Whenever I play in my friend's Pathfinder games I always have gold left over during character creation (I'm usually a sword and board kinda player), so I grab foodstuffs and cooking utensils.

I actually roleplayed an Elven Chevalier and used what was supposed to be my free Warhorse as a free Pack horse that had pounds of cured meats and cheeses on it, along with a small portion of alcohol and lots of salt and cooking utensils. Everyone looked at me strangely until after the first session when they realized we were in the middle of a swamp and I had the only ingredients other than bog water and insects to add to the hog we found and killed.

I pretty much always play a cook-turned-adventurer for various reasons.
>>
>>46927260
What shitty ass setting do you have where ruins and tombs are rare? Wow, fuck your game.
Ruins are cool as heck.
>>
>>46927281
So you have to be retarded to not like 5e, huh?
>>
>>46931132
A setting people actually live in.
>>
>>46929407
It's about 5 editions of D&D too late for that.
>>
>>46929474
How the fuck is my taste a meme?

I like to eat raw chicken and raw flank steak.

>>46930120
I used a bit of real life for that. That thing about not existing taverns in every backyard village, so every house would brew a batch of ale from time to time. The locals almost competed for the chance to house the party, talking about their family brews' recipes and food in exchange for stories and news.

That gave the chance to the PCs talk about themselves, lie, exagerate and be honest as they wanted, aweing people and feeling like heroes. They liked that.
>>
>>46931368
>I like to eat raw chicken and raw flank steak.
Are you literally a fucking caveman, Anon.
Jesus Christ, you should submit yourself to medical study. Your tastes and intestinal fortitude surely mark you as the missing goddamn link.
>>
>>46926037
>>46930174
You need some Torchbearer in your lives.
>>
>>46931229
That doesn't preclude ruins. What if your setting is medieval Greece or Italy? Ruins fucking everywhere, people would use them for building material but it's a hassle even to tear them down.
>>
>>46931229
Sounds boring. Dead people are much more interesting.
Having magic items be actually rare and special is cool though.
>>
>>46931368
>I like to eat raw chicken and raw flank steak
How is 10,000 BC treating you anon?

More importantly, how did you get a computer?
>>
This is one of the reasons I like Mouse Guard and especially Torchbearer.
Supplies are important and Cooking is an actually useful skill. Wilderness survival and being the party cook is just so comfy to me.
>>
>>46925571
>Travel speed take account for resting, horse or not. Travel speed is walking speed of slowest member +10%
>So what ?
>I never do that, actually my players are mostly safe when moving on main roads, save the occasional them being retards though
>If map is small, then yeah. Months of travel are not unheard of when playing continent sized maps/scenarios
>Its not tasty but it'll still be better then raw.
>Horse bags and borderline nazi inventory management
>I assume they all sleep unarmored unless they say otherwise.
>Tents have become part of standard equipment for my players' cheap-fuck group of PCs. Though they always get roughed-up when they try that shit in a city
>Every 24hours without sleep had to their stat loss until they catch back

You need [to be] a better GM
>>
File: 1461360241831.jpg (45 KB, 494x482) Image search: [Google]
1461360241831.jpg
45 KB, 494x482
>>46931368
> I like to eat raw chicken .
>while I shit out my intestine.
>>
> you have to role play ever insipid moment or else it never happened
> your character dies of sepsis. His colon ruptured because you never said he shat

God, it's another one of these threads
>>
>>46931451
A most of these ruins were actually inhabited before the 18th-19th century. There was a village on the Athenian acropolis. The old amphiteater of Lucca was part of the city fortifications.

Britain is actually an exception because the invading saxons largely built their cities away from the old roman cities. Those that subsist were either conquered way later or rebuilt.
>>
File: 79.jpg (105 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
79.jpg
105 KB, 900x900
>>46925571
>bogging down the campaign with mundane shit
>>
>>46925571
Or they just don't want realistic gameplay. Try to talk with them instead of whining about it the internets.
>>
>>46931854
>that's what dnd fags actually believe
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 620x348
>>46931854
> lovingly cooking food from ingredients you gathered as you walked
> moments of camaraderie around the campfire
> taking first watch in a dark, dangerous forest
> stumbling across natural wonders on your journey
> trekking thorough intense snow, sleet and hail
> meeting fellow travelers on the road and swapping stories
> Mundane shit
Yea ok
>>
>>46926109
Relax, man. You don't need to invest literally every point in tumblr, once you get enough to hit 15s regularly, you're good. Drop a point in a few trained only skills. Ride and a Knowledge of your choice, if nothing else.
>>
File: Absolute trash.jpg (167 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
Absolute trash.jpg
167 KB, 690x460
>>46931854
>There are people who want to take the adventure out of going on an adventure
>>
>>46929562
>>46929668
This logic is worthy of sainthood by the way. Plus if you're a dwarf it should come as second nature to only drink ale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_of_Soissons

There's also a belief that part of why the British army won many engagements with the French during the Napoleonic era was thanks to drinking tea instead of water. Boiling the water killed bacteria that was giving the French soldiers dysentery.
>>
File: 1452973015462.jpg (153 KB, 1200x528) Image search: [Google]
1452973015462.jpg
153 KB, 1200x528
>be an Eclipse Phase GM
>run games where the players go on scientific expeditions far and away from habs
>have maps of most of the planets and moons of the solar system in my drop box
>constantly guesstimating distances and travel times and battery life/fuel range for many and varied vehicles the players use
>estimating mesh repeater locations and ranges
>random encounters and strange event tables for those different worlds/moons
>spend entire sessions where the players do recon and planning

And it's all worth it when there's those monents where the players are ass-deep in The Zone of the Titanian Lacus, snacking on protein bars and comfurt while their vehicles recharge and the more creative characters start working out a beat.
>>
I've never had a problem with players sleeping in armor. In fact, I very rarely have players roleplay their nighttime/morning rituals. If something uninteresting is happening, we just fade to black and pick back up the next day when the characters are either conversing, doing something constructive, or get attacked. The casters have prepared their spells for the day, the warriors have donned their armor, the warlock chills, as warlocks tend to.

Actually, that reminds me of my favorite armor enchantment. I don't know what book it's from originally, but it's in the Magic Item Compendium under the name "Called". As long as you're on the same plane as your armor, you can speak the activation word and it will appear around you as, I believe, a standard action. The book leaves it ambiguous as to how the armor appears, but I prefer to think of it as a full henshin sequence. And when the armor's not in use, I keep it somewhere hidden, even if it's nowhere I ever plan to return to, such as locked in a chest in a forgotten keep, or drop it down a dry well wrapped in some blankets.
>>
File: 1460238925467.jpg (357 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1460238925467.jpg
357 KB, 1536x2048
>>46932072
>>46932125
>This implies the DM that it wouldn't make it a chore to do.
If I had a choice: I would rather not deal with it than have it done really badly.
>>
>>46932742
That's so convenient I can't imagine any high level adventurer not having it.
>>
>>46927675
That map's not really useful without comparing it to context the average fa/tg/uy can relate to.
>>
>>46925728
>>46925853
>>46928252
>>46931000
>see this conversation
>ctrl+f Dungeon Meshi
>0 hits
You had one job, anon.
>>
>>46932906
That's really hard to compare.
>>
>>46932888
If I remember correctly, it's a +1 enchantment. It's stupendously useful, and it's fantastic and magical, and it's pleasingly thematic. It's everything you want in a magic item.
>>
>>46931368
On the internet , nobody knows that you're salmonella
>>
>>46931368
>>
>>46932072
Sometimes you gotta gloss over that stuff in the interests of time.
>>
>>46932952
The orange in Europe is the pink in the US.
>>
>>46932929
same person as >>46928252
literally showed the player that likes to dissect monsters with his greatsword Dungeon Meshi, and now he wants to cook everything, so waaaaaaay ahead of you
>>
>>46932742
>Utilizing an secret magic word the Knights of the Order of the Wonderful Mask don their enchanted armor in a mere 3 billionths of a second, transforming simple peasants into invincible defenders of justice!
>>
>>46933318
Holy shit, medieval power rangers !
>>
>>46933423
>>46933318
>>46932742
http://dndtools.pw/items/magic-item-compendium--73/called--24/
>>
>>46933459
The implication seems to be that whoever wore it last and knows the magic word can summon it. Otherwise, when the original owner dies it simply ceases to be useful at all.
>>
>>46933423
Actually it's wonderful 101
Which is basically power rangers but still
>>
>>46925738
I did say it was magic flames that lights anything on fire on contact.
>>
File: 31712491_3afa6d56a9_z.jpg (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
31712491_3afa6d56a9_z.jpg
31 KB, 500x375
>>46931409
>>46931477
>>46931677
>>46933083
Is this serious? When did raw meat became as dangerous as 16-hours-out-of-the-fridge mayo?

But just to cement the 'I'm-a-caveman' theory, I'm able to sleep on the ground and had less problem sleeping outside on a windy night on my shorts, at 14ºC than the people inside the tents. I also had a pet tarantula I collected from the woods myself.

Too much meat in your diet makes your sperm taste bad for women
>>
>>46932742
>>46933318
>>46933423
>>46933459
>>46933636
>>46933674
Make it intelligent with just empathy and give it the Special Purpose: Defeat Evil.
>>
>>46934091
Red meat, not as much. White meat, though? Poultry and pork? Yeah, you might as well go start licking random public toilets. There's a reason our ancestors started cooking food.
>>
>>46934108
What if you're the bad guy?
>>
>>46934144
And committing seppuku would destroy the armor. Oh god, it's the perfect setup to a thrilling tale of redemption.
>>
>>46934144
Then it's useless to you, as it should be.

>>46934114
>There's a reason our ancestors started cooking food.
It actually helps you get more calories out of it.
>>
>>46934091
If you'd said you liked steak tartare, I wouldn't think much of it.

You said you eat raw goddamn chicken, nigga. You're asking to get sick and die.
>>
>>46925571
>Intelligent foes not fleeing when combat turns against them
Not every enemy is a hardened mercenary with nerves of steel who is ready to throw their life away for your bullshit starting gear and 10 gp...
>>
>>46929112
>some of them (pork especially) you need to be very careful with

Yeah it might be harder to cook "well" but if you're out innawoods and starving for any food at all its not that hard. Just overcook the shit out of it, slice it open, if its still pink on the inside, put those halves over the fire again until no more pink. Sure you wont be getting job offers from Emeril but you'll have food.
>>
>>46934369
>>46929112
Basically, bacon.
>>
>>46934114
>There's a reason our ancestors started cooking food.

The start of "cooking" food has less to do with disease and more to do with nutrient absorption. The heat from cooking breaks down the protein strands in the food, making it easier to obtain all the nutrients. Those excess nutrients then in turn let us develop our big fat brains we have today, that let us figure shit like "disease" out.
>>
>>46934237
I always hated this. I was in a game where I was a tentacular horror wrapped in a feminine visage, and nine times out of ten, everything still fought to the last. I even tried devouring some of them whole in front of their friends, and the DM insisted that they all stayed.
>>
>>46934434
And how would you suggest early humans observed one before the other?
>>
>>46934091
>Eating raw chicken

Well, just wait for the salmonella poisoning to catch up with you.

Denying the gift of Prometheus and the culinary possibilities with it is also masochism.
>>
>>46934237
I actually tend to tone down random violent encounters for that reason.

And if bandits do fight they usually flee after a dead or two. Wolves hardly ever attack, etc.
>>
>>46934490
Maybe they were into those sort of things, you know?
>>
>>46934497

Because cooked food smells better, Im not saying they observed "nutrition" first. But your body can crave certian smells/foods just based on what nutrients its missing. A body craving the smell of cooked meats and such and them eating it isnt unreasonable. Its a much shorter leap than the disease vector. Although "rotten" is another very distinct olfactory response, but I doubt the caveman response would be "cook" instead of "dont eat"

I dont think they "figured" either of them out. But the "MMMM TASTY BIOLOGY HUNGRY" aspect is much more immediate.
>>
File: image.jpg (223 KB, 1052x888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223 KB, 1052x888
>>46934564
I'd hit it
>>
>>46934560

All depends on the how/why of the encounter

Bandits on a regular hit? If things go south they'll fuck off. No honor among theives etc

Momma owlbear protecting its nest that the no survival party happened to stumble upon? You bet your ass its going to the last.
>>
>>46934605
It also generally tastes better.
And they might not have logically thought things through, but "This tastes better after being put over the fire for a while" isn't exactly rocket science. Doing things that taste/feel/smell/look/sound better is the basest of all base instincts.
>>
>>46927675
What's happening in south-central france?
>>
>>46934686
It's mountainous and dry as fuck in some areas.
>>
>>46934665

Exactly

But WHY it tastes better is the factor here. The very core elements of the brain knows what it wants/needs. Generally how it "communicates" that is through base "this is better" feelings. Disease doesnt really register on that level, seeing as you dont know its a problem until it hits.

But people definitely figured out the bad pork/seafood = sick connection later on. i.e. the bible/quran/torah dietary restrictions, but they didnt bother with the "just cook it" level of things, and banned it outright. But that was WAY after caveman times, so Id imagine the connection was made far later. Otherwise they wouldnt have had to make it a rule.
>>
>>46934605
>>46934665
I can believe that as a good reason for learning to eat cooked meat, but I'm still curious how that even started. Would they just happen upon a burning animal one day after a fire, or could it be that early experiments with fire would have led it to be used as a hunting tool of sorts and it accidentally led to cooking?
>>
>>46925571
>my players are a bunch of army dorks, hunters and survivalists
>not a one of us was not a boy scout
>we often D&D innawoods

On the other hand, they have trouble understanding why their murderhobo ways are not as well received by people as they would be by others like ourselves.
>>
>>46934560
I played a very human wizard in a 5e game. I have been playing TTRPGs for a long time and a lot of them were still new enough to be 100% murderhobo all of the time. The GM was trying to keep the tone of the game somewhat realistic (as much as DnD can be) with an even mix of combat and diplomacy. The rest of the party was not very good at the diplomacy, but they tried....kind of.

I guess I was "That Guy" for it, but my wizard would always question the groups' motives whenever they just wantonly slaughtered any living being they saw. We were tromping through the woods and happen to spot a small pack of wolves. They weren't being hostile and we easily could have gone around them. Nope. Our super edgy rogue and sorcerer immediately pull out all the stops and one-shot them. My wizard went full "oh the humanity!" and pointed out the charred wolf cubs, asking why they would do such a thing. The answer: "for the XP." Fucking shitbirds.

I had my wizard leave the group to pursue his own ends and rolled up a character with less of a conscious.
>>
>>46934782
>The answer: "for the XP."
This is usually when I point out that I don't hand out XP for killing shit.
>>
>>46934726
>Christian's can't eat pork
The biggest reason why the Torah and the Qurran banned the eating of pork is because pigs are extremely hard to care for in the dessert, and require allot of water that they don't have to spare. and that pork may or may not taste a little like eating human flesh
seafood is because De-veining shellfish is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>46934839
>and that pork may or may not taste a little like eating human flesh
Now you've got me curious, but not curious enough to try.
>>
>>46934758
You really underestimate the curiosity of man I think. It's likely that once they "tamed" fire, man started with all kind of "I wonder what happens if I do THIS!" experiments with it, as with everything else.

Or maybe they threw a carcass in it and were like "wait, this smells fucking delish!".
>>
>>46934819
Ya, the GM tried to point that out more than once. He always explained that the party received XP for "resolving the encounter", however we chose to make that happen, not just by killing everything in site and pick pocketing all of the NPCs.

I blame crappy video games.
>>
>>46934839

Actually, if you bothered to read the Torah, it says quite explicitly that the reason not to eat pigs is because the filthy disgusting caananite pagans eat pigs, and you shouldn't be like them of intermingle.

And while I'm not 100% sure about the Quran, I believe it's derived from the earlier Torah prohibition.
>>
>>46934871
It's really closer to veal in general. Mostly depends on the cut and diet. But cooking human flesh does smell just like pork.
>>
>>46934871
Canibles and either very sick or very curious people have mentioned that human flesh is a very sweet tasting pork.
It is also true that humans amount certain groups have the nickname "the long pig ".
thanks animal planet.
>>
>>46934758

Id have to agree with >>46934888 on this one.

Pointy rocks and fire were the very first things that humans figured out. I imagine curiosity about fire when you apply it to anything you can hunt/gather would be the most likely avenue of discovery for early humans.

Plus as far as I know the aussie abbos were the only ones that practiced any sort of large scale flora burns that would have led to any sort of accidental discovery.
>>
>>46934758
Fuck knows man, you have to remember that everything we know about all plants and animals around us was found out through trial and error. Even basic stuff like nettle rashes being helped out by dock leaves most likely came about by some poor guy rubbing all sorts over his legs whenever he got stung.

but anyway cooked = good is something even chimps understand.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/03/chimpanzees-can-cook-and-prefer-cooked-food-study-shows

>>46934839
Not only that, pigs were used to literally eat shit all over the middle east and asia for a long time. Pork would have been infected with all sorts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_toilet
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 500x711) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 500x711
Op here.
I have not been using 4chan long, and my last thread was a woldbuilding thing that fell apart quickly, despite me doing my best to keep it alive. I honestly did not expect 113 posters to react to my sperging out about realism, nor for so many of the posts to be about cooking meat.
Don't ever change 4chan
Don't ever change
for personal reasons I have been a vegetarian for the last eight years. I know nothing about preparing meat
>>
>>46925728
>>46932929
i'm currently playing a dwarf fighter in 5e based on Senshi from Dungeon Meshi. I was feeding my party and making a decent amount of money after we killed and harvested a large dinosaur and selling spiced dino kebabs from the back of our cart
>>
>>46934965

Is that really the case? I havnt really combed through the Old Testament too hard, but is it really explicitly stated that pork is what the "others" eat, so we shouldnt? Thats interesting stuff, it definitley seems equally as likely as "eating these unclean animals made people sick, so obviously god is punishing us"
>>
>>46925728
>implying I didn't play a fighter who spent about half his starting kit on mundane provisions of various sorts which he kept in a mule drawn cart.
>implying that I didn't immediately make it my character's quest to become a spice merchant king when the GM said even if I had 100 silver pieces, I can't just buy pepper because "it doesn't matter and it's unrealistic"
>since the rest of the party was poorly played murderhobos with no real ambitions or goals beyond kill things get money or backstory beyond orphans with weapons, the entire party ended up tagging along as I made myself rich because they had literally nothing better to do
>>
>>46926271
Holy fuck do people really use GNS terms unironically?
>>
>>46935072

Deuteronomy chapter 14, right before going into the dietary stuff, starts off with

>You are the children of the Lord your God, you shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead.
>For you are a holy people unto the Lord your God, and the Lord has chosen you to be his treasure out of all peoples on the face of the earth.

In addition, it gets expanded upon in a lot of later rabbinic literature in things like the Mishnah; it's not even so much of "God has sent plagues to them" or even anything about sickness and health at all. It's pretty much justified as

>Don't get too chummy with THOSE people. They're bad news. So don't eat what they eat, it'll limit your social interaction.

And it's at least somewhat tangentially verified by archeology: One of the ways they tell old Philistine settlements from Israelite ones is the pig bones that Philistine camps and cities always have, and I doubt the climate is that different in and around Gaza than elsewhere in Israel.
>>
>>46926014
This.

I've been complemented by my players that my campaigns always have 2 adversaries:
The bad guys

The weather

Mother nature can be a righteous bitch if you are not prepared.
>>
>>46935226

Neat

It really is fascinating deciphering the reasoning behind ancient traditions/writings. US vs THEM is a tradition as old as time. Bigass written down context clues like that are very insightful.
>>
>>46935191
Yes. It is the current cancer of video and traditional games.
>>
>>46928623
I don't know man. I think it might take a crane to get it out.
>>
>>46931157
No, non-retarded people who don't like 5th edition give reasoned, mature accounts of their opinions. They don't 'cry about it being bland or shit.'
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.