[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General - "Huge Brain" edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: Board Games General 40.jpg (154 KB, 528x624) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 40.jpg
154 KB, 528x624
New /bgg/ thread! New Thread and a new pastebin link (a few new links).

http://pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

> Do you have a favorite 'Heavy' strategy game / what is it?

> Do you have a favorite 'Light / Abstract' Strategy game / what is it?

> What game that you've tried surprised you most with its strategic depth when it seemed like it might be lacking?

> What light / Party games do you like when 'I can't brain today - I have the dumb!' ?

> Anything on your 'must buy soon' list?
>>
>>46906043
>> Do you have a favorite 'Heavy' strategy game / what is it?

TI3 / old SPI Hex & Chit games like 'War of the Ring' and 'Starship Troopers'. I just never get to play them as they all take to long for my friends to commit that amount of time. (Same issue with campaign based games too. Sigh...)

>> Do you have a favorite 'Light / Abstract' Strategy game / what is it?

Tash Kalar has been surprisingly fun, as has 'The Duke'.

>> What game that you've tried surprised you most with its strategic depth when it seemed like it might be lacking?

The Duke - I thought it might be ho-hum, but tried it with a print and play and really liked it. The short run time makes it appealing for friends not into 'long games'.

>> What light / Party games do you like when 'I can't brain today - I have the dumb!' ?

When I don't want to plan 'umpteen turns ahead' or watch everyone else / the board state like a hawk, I enjoy Funemployed, Dixit, and Code Names.

>> Anything on your 'must buy soon' list?

Some things I want, but I'm saving $$$ so I don't have plans to pull the trigger on anything for the next few months. I did get my latest 'Gazette' for Heroes of Normandie in the mail. Nice surprise.
>>
>>46906043
Doh - forgot to link to the old thread...

>>46833289
>>
>>46906043
I'm assuming you mean strategy-heavy and strategy-light here.

BattleCON: War of Indines. Shame I barely ever get to play it.

Innovation.

> What game that you've tried surprised you most with its strategic depth when it seemed like it might be lacking?
Can't think of any "decpetively simple" games at the moment.

> What light / Party games do you like when 'I can't brain today - I have the dumb!' ?
Chronicle, Abraca...what?, Monster My Neighbor

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines, probably.
>>
>>46906043
>Do you have a favorite 'Heavy' strategy game / what is it?
Yes, and it is currently Triumph&Tragedy. I mean, wargames can be considered strategy games sort of right? If not, Le Havre or maybe Terra Mystica I guess.

>Do you have a favorite 'Light / Abstract' Strategy game / what is it?
Nope.

>What game that you've tried surprised you most with its strategic depth when it seemed like it might be lacking?
Can't think of one.

>What light / Party games do you like when 'I can't brain today - I have the dumb!' ?
Uh, never had that particular problem with our group.

>Anything on your 'must buy soon' list?
No, though there's a few GMT games I'm keeping an eye on.

>>46906145
It is indeed GMT, same guy who designed The Hunters and from what I've understood the system is pretty similar and perhaps a bit better.
>>
>>46906461
>I'm assuming you mean strategy-heavy and strategy-light here.

Yes, my in-ability to articulate not withstanding, I was looking for games that reward a lot of thought and strategy (doesn't have to be a long run time game) verses those that are easier to play while making snap decisions.
>>
File: goban.jpg (72 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
goban.jpg
72 KB, 500x345
>>46906043
>Do you have a favorite 'Heavy' strategy game / what is it?

Go is hard to top. Doesn't really get heavier than this. I guess maybe it doesn't count as heavy if you are only considering how "rules heavy" it is, but this is a game that takes a lifetime of dedicated study to master.
>>
>>46906542
>It is indeed GMT, same guy who designed The Hunters and from what I've understood the system is pretty similar and perhaps a bit better.

Great, now I'll have to add something else to my wish list! ;) What I really need to do is build a 'solo games' box with an acrylic cover so I can leave games setup without my furry critter companions 're-organizing' / stealing all my gaming bits. It shouldn't be difficult or expensive, I just need to find the time to do it.
>>
File: HomeworldsPrototype.jpg (46 KB, 288x208) Image search: [Google]
HomeworldsPrototype.jpg
46 KB, 288x208
>>46906043
>> Do you have a favorite 'Light / Abstract' Strategy game / what is it?

I have several!
Homeworlds is a favorite.
>>
>>46906622
>I guess maybe it doesn't count as heavy if you are only considering how "rules heavy" it is, but this is a game that takes a lifetime of dedicated study to master.

Nope - see >>46906586
And I shamefully admit that I don't have a copy of this. I'd like to invest in a good copy. Anyone have a source suggestion for a good / nice quality copy (like Anon's pic)? I see cheap sets on Ebay, but they're 'travel' versions for the most part.
>>
File: mainframe.jpg (148 KB, 895x791) Image search: [Google]
mainframe.jpg
148 KB, 895x791
>>46906043
>> Anything on your 'must buy soon' list?

Android: Mainframe
>>
File: pic2315948_lg.jpg (344 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic2315948_lg.jpg
344 KB, 1024x768
>>46906043
>> What light / Party games do you like when 'I can't brain today - I have the dumb!' ?

Ca$h & Guns

Doesn't take a lot of deep thought, but the decisions still feel interesting and fun.
>>
>>46906043
The heaviest game I own and easily my favorite one is StarCraft: The Board Game.
Neither are really very light (more medium) but it's either Kemet or
Neuroshima: Hex. Kemet is really great at 4+ and Neuroshima: Hex for me only shines at 2. Both are deceptively deep yet easy enough to understand on the first sitting.
Imperial Settlers. It looks like such a cutesy, naive game where nothing really happens, there are many paths to victory and all in all it's just a fun/fortiging way.

In reality it will fuck you up with the intricacies of the decisions you have to take, interaction is sparse and more akin to industrial sabotage than overt war and you really have to sperg your way to victory.
Welcome to the Dungon.
Not soon but if I manage to get 6 people without any social life I'll probably buy Virigin Queen or Here I Stand.
>>
>>46906648
Yeah I'm actually thinking about picking it up kind of soon, and Comancheria as well when it's released, both games have great predecessors so it should be good stuff.
>>
>>46906728

A decent Go set costs.
For one similar to >>46906622 you are looking at an investment of at least a couple hundred dollars.

What kind of budget were you thinking?
>>
>>46906728
If you want a cheap set, look for a korean grocery store in your area, they should have a badukpan and stones for USD30-40. Particle board and glass stones, but it serves.

If you want high quality, what's your budget? Top-of-the-line sets use endangered trees and can go nearly as high as you want. The picture is a thick table board with low-quality wood, maybe only USD100-200?

Whatever you do, don't get some tiny set made by chess players who think all game boards must be 20cm square.
>>
File: 61QaNOlK4WL._SL1010_.jpg (86 KB, 1010x1010) Image search: [Google]
61QaNOlK4WL._SL1010_.jpg
86 KB, 1010x1010
>>46906728
>>46906891
>>46906929

Here's a really nice set on Amazon being sold by Yellow Mountain Imports. At $160 it's actually a really, really good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Board-Double-Convex-Yunzi-Stones/dp/B000T8GE1W

Yellow Mountain Imports is probably your best bet for less expensive sets as well.
>>
>>46906891
>>46906929
I'm not looking to buy one right this second, and I'm willing to invest a couple hundred in a quality set (considering what I once spent on MTG cards years ago that isn't unreasonable...) So, thanks for the advice. I'll do some research and see what I can find later. I have to bail for the moment.
>>
>>46906994
Thank you very much! The link is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>46906994
>shin kaya
spruce
picture looks like 3 two-by-fours glued together

>table board on legs
disdain for plebs.jpg

>double-convex yunzi
American.
Born.
Chinese.

YMI is decent sure but don't go for this one.
>>
>>46907060

*eyeroll*

Are we really going to do this?

Spruce is the most common goban material and is perfectly nice. I sincerely doubt that anon is going to be buying a Folded One Million Times solid one-piece kaya board. They barely exist to be bought at all, and the few that are available usually have shit grain.

>table board on legs

If this actually triggers you, I don't know what to say. Who gives a fuck?

>double-convex yunzi

Objectively best non-slate & shell stones.
>>
>>46907226
>Spruce is the most common goban material and is perfectly nice
Sure, and calling it shin kaya is deceptive marketing. And if you get a board with real wood, at least get a single plank of *something*. Also: katsura is a thing.

>>table board on legs
>If this actually triggers you, I don't know what to say. Who gives a fuck?
Do you even know why floor boards have legs? It's for the sound when you place a stone. There should be a little echo chamber on the bottom too. Putting legs on a table board is like lipstick on a pig. You're putting in money and effort and it still won't sound right.

>>double-convex yunzi
>Objectively best non-slate & shell stones.
Since you're obviously not chinese-- you use upside-down single-convex stones to mark variations. Yunzi are just sintered glass anyway, you shouldn't pay extra for yet more mass-produced crap out of a chinese slave factory. Either get expensive and traditional, or cheap and modern.

Christ, I'm trying to teach you to appreciate the finer things. Get some taste.
>>
File: 3657.jpg (237 KB, 1024x893) Image search: [Google]
3657.jpg
237 KB, 1024x893
So is Scythe worth the hype?
>>
>>46907451
>I'm trying to teach you to appreciate the finer things. Get some taste.

You need to get some perspective. I understand the various elements that make up an aesthetically pleasing Go set. Single convex stones are not one of them, by the way. That shit is in laughably poor taste.

I also understand that most people - even a lot of people who take Go very seriously - are not willing to spend five hundred to several thousand dollars on a set.

You can get *some* of the elements that make up a perfect Go set for a reasonable price. I personally feel that >>46906994 is a reasonable compromise of materials, aesthetics, and cost.

You are free to disagree, but if you're going to try to be a snob about it? Go fuck yourself.
>>
File: ray3.jpg (6 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
ray3.jpg
6 KB, 269x187
>>46907451
I've literally played on grid paper and spitballs and enjoyed it.
>tfw
>>
Heaviest I get to play is Ankh Morpork
Gemblo, because my family actually want to play it.
Portal: The Board Game
Word Whimsy is the best CAH alternative out there
I'unno... the new Star Wars Risk?
>>
>>46909490
>Portal: The Board Game
Alright, colour me intrigued. How the hell does THAT play?
>>
File: autism.gif (1 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
1 MB, 600x338
We are in dire need of members. Enlist today! We want YOU for the /bgg/ Tabletop Simulator Steam Group army!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoardGamesGeneral
>>
>>46912202
Wednesday night, I'm in. That's when I'll be done with finals and papers and allow myself back on Steam.
>>
File: bringit (2).jpg (30 KB, 133x118) Image search: [Google]
bringit (2).jpg
30 KB, 133x118
>>46912202
There. I've joined. You faggots happy?
>>
>>46912202
I thought we hated anime now.
Get your shit together /bgg/, what's it gonna be?

joining up too, btw
>>
>>46913386
I think the fact that it's titled 'Autism'.gif might be a hint that there's a bit of fun being poked at the topic.
>>
>>46913386
>>46913704
Also, /bgg/ is pretty split on the issue of anime. Hence people making fun of that OP who was butthurt about animu images. Personally, I don't give a shit one way or the other if images in "anime style" (which, of course, is a number of different styles) are posted as long as the discussion generally pertains to board games.

Speaking of whether or not things pertain to board games, does the Battletech board game belong here or is it close enough to a wargame in the more usual sense that it needs its own separate thread like 40k or something would?
>>
>>46913793
Battletech does have its own general quite regularly, >>>46889817
>>
>>46912202
I joined but I don't have TTS...
>>
are there any worker placement 'gateway' games besides Stone age and Lords of waterderp?
>>
>>46914917
Five Tribes.
>>
>>46909490
>Heaviest I get to play is Ankh Morpork
How heavy is it exactly. I just recently found out it exists and was thinking of getting it but I'm not sure how my group of new players would take it since we have a guy that needs to be reminded of rules in fucking Catan. And how is it for people who know nothing about Discworld. I'm the only one in the group that read the books.
>>
Hi /bgg/ Im interested in expanding my board game selection.
Right now Im looking at Alien vs Predator, Hive, and Chaos in the Old World. Id also like to find a sports themed game thats easy enough for casual players. Any suggestions or ideas?
>>
File: scythe2.png (4 MB, 1679x909) Image search: [Google]
scythe2.png
4 MB, 1679x909
>>46907571
The hype is real.
>>
>>46917798
I don't know man. Whenever I see or read about it the gameplay just seems so dull. What's fun about it?
>>
>>46916168
You could give examples of the board games you like.

From the list you have given you can't go wrong with CitOW.

I don't know any sports games aside from Blood Bowl...
>>
>>46916168
CitOW is one of the best games ever designed. Hive is overhyped garbage which is only known because some higher-up at MENSA became enamored with it.
Never heard of AvP but it's a 7 on BGG, meaning it either has no glaring flaws but no brilliant or clever mechanisms, or those flaws which it does have are balanced by said mechanisms. If you want a 3p wargame Triumph and Tragedy is the new hotness, but if you have three dudes who really like AvP I'd go for it.
>>
>>46910777
Better than you probably think. I thought it was just going to be some meme game but it was surprisingly good. Not great, but I'd play again.
>>
Hello page 10 my old friend
>>
>>46906043
And here's everyone's latest enticement for something they probably don't need, but might well like anyway...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antler-games/saltlands-sail-through-the-desert

Looks interesting.
>>
>>46906891
>>46906929
>>46906994

Thank you 'Go-bros'. Anyone have suggestions for books on Go / Go strategy (Heiho) that they really like?

>>46907967
If you buy a really expensive set, does that make it a 'Go Pro'? (I know, I KNOW! Horrible pun, sorry.)
>>
File: image.gif (237 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
237 KB, 600x338
>>46917877
>examples of board games you like

Im pretty new to board games, here is what I have, and am looking to expand on:
Pandemic
Pandemic: The Cure
Zombicide + all expansions and stretch goals
Space Hulk
Puppet Wars
FFG's The Horus Heresy
Lanterns
Zombietown
Fast and Fthagn
Talisman
Imperial Assault
Tsuro

We've enjoyed them all except The Horus Heresy game, which felt more like work than fun.
>>
>>46917964
Yeah its a toss up between AvP and CitOW. I have a couple more days to decide. Thanks for the input.
>>
File: chu shogi.jpg (121 KB, 939x928) Image search: [Google]
chu shogi.jpg
121 KB, 939x928
Have you ever played a shogi variant?
>>
>>46910777
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDssAtbsGQ
>>46914917
I found Viticulture to be really easy to get a handle on
>>46915688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljft6AHIcU
It's not essential to be a fan of the books, but it definitely helps.
>>
>>46916168
>Casual sports game
Blood Bowl Team Manager is a fun, fast beer & pretzels card game; plays 4 and has good replayability.
6 teams in the base game, all play differently. 6 more teams and rules variants in the expansions.
>>
>>46920597
Yeah definately going to recommend Chaos in the Old World - you're missing a meatier strategy game.

> Expanding
Maybe some euro? Powergrid, Terra Mystica
Worker placement? Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep
Social deduction? Code names, warewolf
Traitor? Battle Star: Galactica, Dead of Winter
Cards? Dominion, Race for the Galaxy
> More of the same
Coop: Ghost Stories
Zombicide, Zombietown: Last night on Earth

What genres interest you more? How many players do you usually play with?
>>
>Finally complete Thunderstone Advance collection
>Hmmm might want to sleeve this since a few of the starter cards are showing some wear
>Start counting up numbers of cards
>around 2500 cards
>Don't want to do shitty penny sleeves
>2500 good sleeves is around $130 minimum

Fuuuuuuck.
>>
>>46922548
You already went out of your way to complete an oop collection, you knew what you were getting into anon. If you really don't wanna drop all that coin, go for Mayday sleeves, they're not top tier, but they're better than penny sleeves.
>>
I just got into boardgames and have collected a very small collection. I have:

1) Risk
2) Pandemic
3) Betrayal at House on the Hill
4) Specter Ops

What else can /tg/ recommend, especially to branch out in other genres of boardgames? I'm the primary source of boardgames for my gaming group of around 4 - 5 people.
>>
File: mapp.jpg (3 MB, 3066x2105) Image search: [Google]
mapp.jpg
3 MB, 3066x2105
>>46921084
>What genres interest you more? How many players do you usually play with

Typically 4, sometimes 5 of us. I think I've decided to go with CitOW. I can get it and the Horned Rat expansion for less than AvP core set. AvP also looks to have a ton of addon boxes, which isnt really what Im looking for atm. Im already backing Dark Souls, and stashing $ away for Kingdom Death and a few of it's expansions.

CitOW it is, gonna head out in a bit to pick it up. Thanks for the assist anon.
>>
>>46920847
Yeah I was looking at this one. I think my flgs has it in their library, Im heading up there in a few so I'll take a look and see what its like.
>>
>>46923144
Sounds like we're in a similar place as far as being kind of new and group size.

The games we have enjoyed most are lanterns and Zombicide. Though I think half the reason everyone enjoys Zombicide so much is because of all the pop culture survivors that I got with the KS.
Lanterns is a quick, easy, simple strategy/screw your friends over game thats pretty to look at.
>>
>>46923144
What sort of themes does your group like? Do you guys like versus or co-op more? Are you craving a heavier game or do you like where you guys are at?

Some I would recommend as good starters to explore more concepts:
Stone Age (might appear daunting but is super easy to understand and play)
Ticket to Ride (I would recommend the Europe set the most)
Dominion and maybe an expansion (be careful here as you might end up compelled to collect it all)

And some light filler games including:
Love Letter
Codenames
One Night Revolution
Red7
Hanabi

If you give more info about what you and your group like or what you're looking for it can help zero in on things that will fit you and your group.
>>
>>46923144
Catan yo
>>
>>46923144
Scrabble. It's probably the most replayable board game.
>>
>>46923144
Gemblo's good with 3+ players
>>
I wish Xia had a skirmish mode or something. So many miniatures... so many of them never actually get used. I would love to give them more use
>>
>>46922548
Holy crap, how much did you pay for that? Amazon prices are fucking insane...
I managed to get Towers and Numenera for relatively cheap, but I don't wanna throw that much cash into the other sets...
>>
>>46927524
He probably got them when they were in print, before AEG became Love Letter: The Company.
>>
>>46927524
I got everything besides Towers of Ruin and Caverns of Bane before i went out of print. Took me a while to find something with a reasonable pricetag.

Don't go to amazon or ebay for out of print games. They are usually SUPER overpriced. Go to the BGG market. Much better prices as well as the fact that they are usually from a person who cares about their stuff.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/search?q=thunderstone+advance
>>
>>46927853
Oh, also make sure to actually read the item descriptions, a lot of people will bundle things together under a single heading.

For example I got everything for Battlecon Minus War Extended for $100. And everything was already sorted and sleeved.
>>
File: 2016-04-26 18.22.04.jpg (668 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-26 18.22.04.jpg
668 KB, 1920x2560
I've had this for years and have never played it.
>>
Which modern card game do you think is better and has made MTG obsolete?
>>
>>46929005
Sadly, M:tG is not replaceable at this point. I don't see any other card game debunking it in the near future.
Only Netrunner has a serious competitive scene, and I doubt it'll have Magic's longevity.
>>
File: 2016-04-26 18.11.39.jpg (609 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-26 18.11.39.jpg
609 KB, 1920x2560
I'm going to sell at a local (Puerto Rico) boardgame market group on Facebook.

I thought of selling Netrunner Core Set for 20(?), Battlestar Galactica for 25 and original Mage Wars Core Set for 25 too... are these prices ok? am I selling them too cheap or are the prices reasonable? I'm trying to get rid of them fast to get new games. It's way cheaper than local store and/or amazon/coolstuffinc/whatever if you consider shipping too
>>
>>46929310
Way too cheap for battlestar and mage wars. But it will also mean you are sure to get rid of them if any buyer does their homework...
>>
>>46929305
I don't mean it like that, sure, Magic: The Gathering will not die for now or maybe never. But there are superior card games to it or games that does what it tries to do better. From those game, which do you think is the best?

I don't care for competitive play, I play with friends and family.
>>
>>46929354
30 maybe?
Battlestar's box is damaged, but the contents are intact. Mage Wars is like new, actually never played.
>>
>>46929354
>Way too cheap for battlestar
The game's MSRP is $50. 50% off MSRP is actually pushing it for an opened game.
>>
>>46929310
BGG marketplace is your friend, start at the highest price listed for the condition your copy is in. That way if you really want the sale, you can always go down if someone wants to haggle. Keep in mind the marketplace data is skewed high though, because you take a 3% hit from Paypal.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/pricehistory/thing/37111
>>
>>46929509
>highest avg price listed for your copy's condition
I can't type today.
>>
>>46929509
Thank you.
>>
So, Dark Souls: the Board Game.

>bosses have fixed attack cycles making them completely predictable once you go through the deck once
>the boss they saw fit to show as an example in the gameplay video had an attack pattern so incredibly easy that two naked level 1 no upgrade no item characters could easily beat it if they weren't controlled by retards
>the game has no failure state, dying means you respawn at the bonfire along with all the mobs in the dungeon
>you can respawn infinitely
>you can respawn the monsters infinitely, meaning if you somehow still have difficulty with the game you can just level grind the regular monsters
>all of this has been confirmed by the developers

They should've titled it Dark Souls: Prepare to Visit Candyland. What a fucking joke. I seriously hope you guys aren't backing this.
>>
>>46930543
Every single thing except the second you listed is true of the actual game though.

That one is really worrying though.
>>
>>46930598
The thing is, mechanics that work in video games often do not work in board games. Grinding is one of them. No loss state is another.

Even if the game is actually legitimately hard, I want the *game* to tell me when I'm done. I don't want to smash my head against it for an indefinite amount of time until I give up. Giving up on a board game is just an incredibly sour experience.
>>
>>46930543
Attack pattern changes once you get the bosses health done so low though.
>>
>>46906043
Einstein's brain was actually slightly smaller than average.
>>
>>46931128
It shuffles once, with a new card added. So you do the same thing you did at the start -- play conservatively and heal constantly until you see the new attack pattern. Then resume dodging 90% of its attacks and whittling it down.
>>
>>46930543
I'm backing it for all the KS exclusives because one of my friends LOVES Dark Souls and is waiting for the retail edition, so I'm just gonna sell it to him at cost.
>>
Are there any YouTube channels other than The Dice Tower where you can watch videos a few hours long of people just chilling out and playing board games? Not really trying to teach you a game or review it, but just letting you watch through a fixed camera while they all hang out and play games.

I enjoy having TDT's long-ass game marathons on in the background while I work on grad school bullshit, but I'd like to mix it up.
>>
>>46931748
Spoony recorded a game of Battlestar Galactica he played with his boardgaming buddies.
>>
Speaking of The Dice Tower, is Jason Levine a "that guy" in TDT's group because he's awkward and gets on people's nerves a lot, or does he avoid it because he absolutely loves games, isn't a sore loser, and seems to be a really nice person (I mean, fuck, he buys his nieces and nephews new games every time he visits because he loves how happy it makes them to open/play a new game)?
>>
>>46931748
SUSD has done a few, though heavily edited.
>>
File: 1460959339657.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460959339657.jpg
152 KB, 1280x720
>>46929310
>selling netrunner
>>
>>46931933
He's awkward and a lil spazzy, the live feeds from GAMA were painful to watch, but I think they enjoy playing with him because he's always enthusiastic and they seem to rip on each other quite a bit. He clearly tires them out a bit at times, but if he was that terrible they wouldn't keep playing with him, or put him in their videos. Hell Tom's rant on bgb this week was about gaming groups and how he wants people to feel a little welcome, if you're a little weird that's ok because we're a little weird.
>>
>>46932245
Yeah. I think part of why I wondered is that I'm way less awkward than he is, but still have a tendency to tear apart every interaction I've had once I go home, worry that I got on everyone's nerves and pissed them off, and so on.

Knowing that being well-meaning and a good friend is enough to be welcome in a group of people would go a long way toward not worrying so goddamn much.
>>
>>46931748
Board Game replay is pretty good for this, although how they review games is mostly through immediate post game banter.
>>
File: 1434024002314.png (112 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
1434024002314.png
112 KB, 500x348
>>46932020
Hey, I did it too when I needed quick cash. Wife did not take to it, and I didn't really have any one else to play it with. Never got a single data pack either. And I really enjoyed it too. The summer it was getting previewed I had already been looking up the original game and seeing what I could buy off of Ebay, so I was pumped to order it.

Now, things are so far gone in that game, and I have an already significant amount of two player games that friends and SOs enjoy, the door is bolted shut. Ah well.
>>
>>46932568

Do people actually buy Netrunner sets?
Bored AF of the release cycle and haven't pulled it out in a while anyway. Should probably have bailed when Jackson H. was selling for $25.
>>
>>46931748
I like Node Lan Party's D&D sessions.
>>
>>46932568
Damn, son.
Probably where it would have gone for me if the wife hadn't gotten into it.
>>
File: Frieza_Golden_CCG.jpg (143 KB, 731x1024) Image search: [Google]
Frieza_Golden_CCG.jpg
143 KB, 731x1024
>>46929005

Almost every modern card game is better and has made MtG obsolete.

>>46929305
>Only Netrunner has a serious competitive scene, and I doubt it'll have Magic's longevity.

Check out DBZ's tournament attendance. Bigger than Netrunner's.
>>
>>46929358

The various FFG Living Card Games are all good options.

Game of Thrones LCG recently got a reboot and is in an excellent place. Probably the best MtG replacement option for the moment. Legend of Five Rings will be getting the LCG reboot treatment next year.

The others are great too.
>>
>>46931748
Paul Darcy has plenty of full solo playthroughs.
>>
>>46930543
You're forgetting boss behavior decks, and their 5 card hands.
The failure state is not being able to progress, in which case you grind.
I doubt they will release a Dark Souls boardgame that has no challenge at all.
It's going to raise $3-4 million.
>>
>>46928517
What's this?!
>>
File: image.jpg (592 KB, 800x2810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
592 KB, 800x2810
>>46913793
This is an anime image board.
Autists need not apply.
>>
>>46937394
>You're forgetting boss behavior decks, and their 5 card hands.
I didn't forget that at all. Half my post is about that.

>I doubt they will release a Dark Souls boardgame that has no challenge at all.
They're going for the beer and pretzel crowd; they've said as much in the KS comments section. I'm sure the game will be challenging for those people, but if you're willing to sit down and reason out what to do I don't think it will be remotely difficult.

That's my assessment and I'm sticking to it.

>It's going to raise $3-4 million.
If not more.
>>
>>46931251
That tactic exemplifies the way the video game is played though, but I see your point. They should make it so the deck gets shuffled more often. Either at other health levels or after a certain number of turns.
>>
>>46938985
>>46939023
Doesn't the challenge also come from the tiles and enemies resetting when everyone dies/uses the bonfire? Or do the tiles stay and only the enemies reset, or none of these happen at all?
>>
>>46939023
In the video game you must also be concerned with the execution of your strategy, not just knowing what to do. Board games do not have this problem. In a board game once you know what to do the game is already over; doing it is just a matter of going through the paces.

>>46939068
The tiles stay as do the encounters that were placed on them. The encounters do all reset, so all the monsters respawn, but in the same places they were when you first found them.

I will freely admit that a lot of this assessment is predicated on the gameplay video they posted. If it turns out that that spread of attacks was actually really weak for a boss then maybe it will end up being hard. But if that is an average set of attacks then no, I can confidently say that any group of strategy minded board gamers could waltz through this game.
>>
>>46939101
>I can confidently say that any group of strategy minded board gamers could waltz through this game.
Yeah I'm worried about this too. I have the KS on a reminder for me in case I decide to back. But as of now I agree and will be waiting for more information/playthroughs before I decide.
>>
>>46939101
Ahh, my bad on the encounters then. Hopefully a longer playthrough with all the tiles needed to get to the boss will get uploaded or something, because I have feeling that that will be what taxes the players the most, not just the difficulty of the AI deck.
>>
>>46939252
So, there are 8 encounter cards, one of which is the boss, right? What this means is that you just explore in a cross, not in a line.

__X__
__X__
XXDXX
__X__
__X__

Where D is the bonfire room and X are explored rooms. If you explore in this pattern then all rooms are 1 to 2 spaces away from the bonfire, meaning at most you will have to deal with one encounter on the run to the boss.

I'm not convinced that they even tried to think critically about how people could game their system. It really feels like they just expected everyone to do the thematic beer and pretzels approach of running forward without thinking.
>>
>>46934592
That is one fugly colour scheme
>>
>>46939450
Looking at one of the updates, it looks you can do this even faster, as you only have 5 random encounters + 1 boss encounter for each boss. So yeah, I'd agree that doing a cross exploration could definitely make things a lot easier. Could be an easy fix by having only one exit from the bonfire room, though that still leaves the other rooms that have 4 exits. Wonder if someone will point it out in the comments and if they will give a response.
>>
>>46939450
Theorycrafting must be a new concept for them.
All the comments make me think even Descent has more game in it. I'd need to play to make up my mind. Seems they're banking on theme. "lol you died, gotta start over, it's just like in the vidya" til you rage quit just like in the vidya.
>>
>>46934592
>DBZ duel CCG attracts a shitload of weaboo nostalgiafags regardless of actual quality
Not surprised.
Seriously, DBZ is the most overrated animu in existence.
>>
Can anyone recommend some board games that's like "D&D-light"?

I'm looking for gateway games to introduce my group to role-playing games. Hopefully to get them to try out a heavier RPG further down the line.
>>
File: ashardalon.jpg (133 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
ashardalon.jpg
133 KB, 450x450
>>46940382
Dungeon and Dragons have a board game line. I have pic related and its pretty fun, there's two other games that go with it but I haven't played them. All three expand on each other but are standalone.
>>
>>46939874

I feel really bad for your generation.
>>
>>46939754
>>46939450
>>46939068
>>46938985
>>46931355
>>46930543
I'm confused. Is there a point to backing it now? Is there backer-exclusive content or a discount? I'd rather wait until it comes out if there's no benefit.
>>
>>46940457

Fuck no!

>>46940382

The Resistance: Avalon and other social deduction games could be a good way to get people into light roleplay.
>>
>>46940832

Sounds like a bad idea to me. These games tend to just create groups who only want to play party games and social deduction.

Yuck.
>>
>>46940457
>>46940832
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how complex the D&D board games are, but I can give those a try. And my group does enjoy social deduction games, but I'm looking for something that's a little more RPG-y mechanically. That's where the pain point is with my group, they're not really hung up on playing roles but more on playing mini-based, co-op type games I guess.

That said, I found a game called Mice and Mystics that seems promising. Has anyone played it?
>>
>>46940791
Implying I didn't grow up with the show.
Dude, I was fucking hyped when they started airing it, but after a while it became formulaic, repetitive, inconsistent and packed with filler, plus my local station ruined the continuity by randomly going back and forth, inserting reruns wherever they goddamn pleased. Also, the quality off the animation steadily declined over the years.
Maybe I'm just an aspie nitpicker who can't glance over obvious flaws,
>>
>>46941152

>implying that's not what RPGs are
>>
>>46941328
>repetitive, inconsistent

kek
>>
>>46941253
General opinion seems to be that Mice and Mystics is less preferable to other dungeon crawlers such as Descent or the DnD games, though I don't remember why. Was it the cheese wheel?

If you're going to try and ease them into roleplaying, maybe try going with any board game where the players play a character first. Usually this means co-op or 1-vs-all games. Pepper about RPG stuff during conversations, see if any get interested. Also, it's likely that you'll be elected GM since you'd be the most knowledgeable/enthusiastic, so be prepared for that.

One game I would recommend though is Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's less about the end and more about the journey with that, and could help foster an interest in roleplaying as the players get more invested in their characters.
>>
>>46939874
>>46940791
>>46941328
>>46941421
>>>/a/
>>
File: 1447192237736.jpg (83 KB, 560x682) Image search: [Google]
1447192237736.jpg
83 KB, 560x682
If you could only pick 1 game to introduce new people (adults; have only played Monopoly, Sorry, etc) to board games, what would it be?
>>
>>46941851
Depends on the setting but Kemet or Neuroshima: Hex would be high on the list
>>
File: blue wrist lock.jpg (32 KB, 298x400) Image search: [Google]
blue wrist lock.jpg
32 KB, 298x400
>>46941467

I took your side about getting rid of the loli OPs, but now you've just gone full shitposter. Why not get a tripcode while you're at it?
>>
File: 1423252880981.jpg (14 KB, 246x196) Image search: [Google]
1423252880981.jpg
14 KB, 246x196
>>46941851
Just one? Well fuck that constraint.
Sheriff or Dixit for social games, Smallworld for introducing games with scoring and area control.

Then I would move people onto Kemet/Neuroshima/El Grande, similar to >>46941904 if I want to further their trash experience. Do not know/remember too much about friendly euros, but maybe Puerto Rico or 7 Wonders if they enjoy those types of games more.
>>
>>46940825
Anyone?
>>
>>46941851
Maybe Lords of Waterdeep? I feel like that game has had a lot of success introducing casual board game players to a more complex system. Additionally it has the benefit of being set in a popular role-playing universe. Two-for-one in getting newbies into the hobby.
>>
>>46942380
From my understanding, all unlocked stretch goals will be delivered to KS backers for free as part of their basic pledge. At retail, I imagine that you'll have to pay to get those unlocked stretch goals.

For your reference:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game
>>
>>46942608
It's so confusing... Is there any idea what the base game will cost? I'd rather pay like $50 for the base game than a $113 pledge, even if I would be saving money on the full line of expansions.
>>
>>46941851
Monopoly Deal for 2 players, Gemblo or Word Whimsy for 3-6, Shadow Hunters or One Night Ultimate Werewolf for more
>>
>>46942543
Works for D&D geeks, and Star Wars Risk works for SW fans and Arena of the Planeswalkers would for M:tG players, but they might not hook Hasbro-tier normalfags.

Uno > Coloretto or 6 Nimmt
Risk > Kemet or Small World
Stratego > Neuroshima Hex or Memoir 44
Monopoly > Catan or Chinatown
Candyland > Talisman or Formula D
Guess Who? > Coup
Chess > The Duke or any GIPF
>>
>>46943007

Go > Through The Desert or Android: Mainframe
>>
What is the worst cooperative game, and why?
>>
>>46941373

You know, the problem with social deduction is you can't even roleplay most of the time !

I mean, let's just say you're playing werewolf... Can you roleplay as the "little girl ?" NO ! The wolves would immediately know who you are and fucking kill you.

Same for Bang, you can't roleplay as an outlaw because you have to blend in.

Roleplaying BREAKS most social deduction games actually.
>>
>>46943962
Perhaps the exception to this is Spyfall
>>
File: wlfuzz.png (238 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
wlfuzz.png
238 KB, 768x1280
>>46943962
And then there is sheriff, where we make/break characters every round.

>what is in the bag, anon?
>no hablo ingles senor!
>no problema, hablo espanol tambien!
>>
>>46942846
If the base pledge is £80 (~US$120), would the retail price be lower than that? I was under the impression that most KS-funded board games are either cheaper than or equal to retail price during the KS campaign to illicit donations. At retail the price is higher. I find it highly unlikely that just the base game will be anywhere near $50 at retail.
>>
>>46944227
>illicit
Sorry, *elicit
>>
>>46943962

still better than Descent or whatever.

>hurrr I'm going to get my friends into roleplaying by having them powergame and murderhobo through an awful unfun dicefest
>>
>>46944227
I was under that impression too, but usually backing bonuses are small. Plus the base price is quite high here. They're saying the ~$120 backing gets you the base game plus the 4 rather large expansions. Can retail of just the base game really be $120?
>>
>>46944456
Just seems like a big "fuck you" to anyone not pre-ordering. This is why I boycott pre-ordering of video games, but I usually don't miss out on much. There's way too much content here though.
>>
>>46944559
I don't mind discounts for kickstarting since you're funding the game, not just buying it early.

Kickstarter exclusives are a bad thing though and I don't back projects with large amounts of exclusives.
>>
Found 18EU was released as free PnP download and I'm thinking about going full DIY on that shit, but I got some questions for any anon who has played anything in the series.

Are they good enough to have spawned such a cult following?
Which are the better games in the series?
Are the rulesets different between the iterations or do they feel like expansions to the same game?

Captcha won't let me post until I say cashews are peanuts.
>>
>>46945230
The expansions aren't exclusive but it looks like a massive amount of content. I don't mind discounts for backers either, but it shouldn't be so extreme like this seems to be.
>>
>>46944045
We do this for Ca$h n Gun$, but I'd call those bluffing games, not social deduction.
>>
>>46940382
Honestly I got my group into straight board games, and once they had an attention span longer than 90 minutes, I didn't look for a gateway/crossover, I just tossed them a couple of pre-gen character sheets and put them into an easy pathfinder scenario. Simple rules and if you have one actual gamer in the group you can have them lead the casuals around, but nothing out there really does the same thing for me. KD:M would be the closest maybe, but it's way too pricey for a gateway/transition game.
>>
>>46944398
The guy asking the original question said he's friends like those types of games though. So wouldn't it be the best way to easy them into this stuff?
>>
>>46945947
Fair enough on the genre distinction.
I have seen people also roleplay in twilight imperium, acting as their races would in politiking and such. The butler in Cosmic Encounter also encourages kowtowing and being everyone valet. I guess it is all about how you approach the game and what the game mechanics allow.
>>
>>46946483
Hell, someone in my group roleplays whenever we play Cosmic, which leads to some pretty hilarious things.

>picks Virus, then refers to himself with plural pronouns for the entire game
>"I feel like I should have an arbitrary racial prejudice."
>once attempted to rebrand Parasites as "Symbiotes," insisting that calling them parasites was racist
>plays Trader with a british accent, referencing economic justifications for all his actions

He even got me doing it sometimes, like when I played The Claw and spoke entirely in third-person narration. (eg. The Claw would like to talk this one out)
>>
Anyone else here plays Ashes?
>>
>>46950434
Yes. Picking up my expansions from the post office tomorrow.
>>
>>46948395
>the claw in third person
Stealin this.
>>
>>46943962

I've got a dichotomy if groups I play social deduction games with

One which role plays and one which does not.

The one which does roleplay is great for games like werewolf, bang and avalon. They aren't daft enough to lift up their cards and say "I'm Dead-eye joe the uh~ Outlaw!"

You are allowed to roleplay something that isn't on your card. You don't have to "HI! I'm doug miller, the town baker and wereworlf"

The other group is great for games like Coup where the deduction part is a lot larger than the social aspect.
>>
>>46945664
Bumping for trains
>>
>>46950434
it is a nice game.
>>
>>46906043
Of all the areas the Dark Souls KS could have used for an expansion, why Iron Keep?
>>
>>46941851

Lost cities: the board game / keltis
>>
>>46944045
Our games just degenerate into Hungry-Hungry Hebrews. It's dope.
>>
File: sw03_boxlayout.png (171 KB, 350x282) Image search: [Google]
sw03_boxlayout.png
171 KB, 350x282
I'm thinking about buying Star Wars: Rebellion - is it worth the $75? I have two groups lined up to play with but I'm antsy about spending that much on a board game.
>>
>>46962390
>spending $75 on a 2p non-traditional board game not made by GMT
>>
Have you played this? Is this one of the best games in the genre or am I overlooking something?
>>
File: Stone_Age_game.jpg (86 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
Stone_Age_game.jpg
86 KB, 363x500
>>46962566
forgot image obviously
>>
>>46962566
Yedo and Dominant Species are apparently up there.
>>
>>46962390
The two big complaints, which I've heard a lot from those who've played it are:

>the combat system is just awful, and takes you out of the game, but it's ok because it's a strategy game with only a little combat in it

>there's no originality in the story, you're just playing through movie events in a different order each time

Neither seems like a total deal breaker, if you've got a 2s partner who's willing to sit and play for 2-3 hrs. Even better if you're a fan of the theme, because even with no originality you're getting to do a rewrite of eps 4-6.

>>46962575
It's the best of the gateway worker placements, though some favor Waterdeep, but the theme is so pasted on it never caught me. There's better options once you're wanting something with a bit more weight on it. Stone Age generally lasts in a collection as it's something you can play with non-gamers/kids, and doesn't get stale unless you play it 100s of times, and maybe not even then.
>>
What's the best game in the C&C series? I haven't played any of them but am working on a wishlist for my birthday because I'm always at a loss when people ask me what I want.
>>
File: Awds-lash.jpg (50 KB, 450x1000) Image search: [Google]
Awds-lash.jpg
50 KB, 450x1000
Ignoring that clone that was made (Tactics Wars: Advance, or whatever it was called), what would you recommend as a grid or hex-based board game for people who like Advance Wars?
>>
>>46962947
ASL. It's not as dreadful as people make it out to be.
>>
>>46963157
Email me a friend who won't be put off by the huge-ass manual and I'll dive right in.
>>
>>46962947
Dust Tactics is pretty solid, but it's costly
>>
>>46962947
Something a bit out of left field...but Summoner Wars maybe? Simple rules, factions feel different, and it has the summoner/CO for different playstyles. Not really a war game, but it is grid based, and the few units you have duking it out and blocking LOS makes it a fun skirmish game.

If you cannot find any friends that want to take the dive into things like Memoir 44 and the other previously suggested games, it might work.
>>
File: 1437173470914.jpg (109 KB, 540x432) Image search: [Google]
1437173470914.jpg
109 KB, 540x432
>>46962829
'95 for nostalgia, Tiberian Sun for atmosphere, RA2 for cheeseball, and Generals+Rise of the Reds for multiplayer.
>>
>>46963553
I meant Command and Colors, silly!
>>
File: I know.png (325 KB, 439x570) Image search: [Google]
I know.png
325 KB, 439x570
>>46963564
>>
no bump for you
>>
Not strictly a board game question I guess, but do you guys got any advice for how I can get better at doing rules explanations? My not being able to explain things well is making it very hard to get people into more complex games.
>>
>>46967478
What works for me is that I separate the game by blocks
* What is the game about?
* How do you win / lose?
* Main Mechanics
After that the questions will start to flow naturally.
>>
>>46967478
The most obvious first step is to make sure you've got a serious handle on the rules, the exceptions, and any unintuitive things that might come up. Nothing slows down an explanation more than a ruelbook, you don't want to have to refer to it.

From there, I tend to explain things from the top down. Explain the goal of the game. Then breifly explain how you achieve that goal. Then explain the turn and round structure, and then go into detail on exactly how those parts work.

If you don't think that will work well, then just a chronological explanation done by going through a mock round can be just as good for some groups.

Get components into players hands early on, so they have something to do absorb with the rest of their brains while you're prattling on.

Make sure to convey the things that make the game interesting to you while you're doing the explanation, develop an expectation for something exciting or interesting that they can look forward to, and their interest will kindle from there.
>>
File: pic2479679[1].jpg (233 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pic2479679[1].jpg
233 KB, 500x500
>>46941423
Mice&Mystics is just a pretty terrible game. It's completely random, rules are poorly written and interactions not well thought out (par for the course for Plaid Hat Games) and you don't have a lot more options than "I move towards the mob, OK,now I attack"

Compare it with Descent, where every turn is like organizing a SWAT raid and if the Overlord is good he can capitalize on the slightest mistake into an inevitable snowball to defeat

Speaking of PHG, recently I've gotten into (pic related)... Fun game and gorgeous components, but for a game anspiring to be competitive the rules are, well, they are shit and written like shit and every time the lead playtester gives clarification on a ruling it becomes a little worse. Why is it so hard for up and coming card game designers to learn from the lessons Magic has been teaching them since '93? Is there some sort of pride in giving the finger to decades of accumulated knowledge to find new ways to make your game an unpolished turd?
>>
>>46934592
>Almost every modern card game is better and has made MtG obsolete.

Hahahahahaha

Oh wow anon

No, M:tG is still th best expandible card game out there. It invented the genre, everything else is derivative and either goes full clone, which people won't bother with because we already have a M.tG, or tries to be "better" and "unique" in its own way, failing because M:tG has been perfecting the art of being a cash cow for 30+ years.

Now you might say that modern Magic is worse than old Magic was, and I could agree - I hate equipments and double faced cards and useless forced mechanics every new set. And the inflated prices trader's market is not for me either. But it's still the best at what it does.
>>
>>46968428
You are the very first one I see complaining about Ashes where everyone else seems to be riding on the hype. do you think this is enough reason to try to keep the distance from it?

what would you suggest that have well done rullings and still somewhat competitive?
>>
>>46968682
>It's the best at what it does
Sure, but what it does is be a game with an abusive distribution model dependent on stockholm syndrome and gameplay that involves VERY, VERY few interesting decisions on a given turn, with most games being determined far more by deck composition and draw order than by any particular skill on either side of the table.

In short, it's a shit game run by a shit company.
>>
>>46968682

Richard Garfield considered it obsolete almost as soon as it was published, and immediately began testing the waters with improved designs. Netrunner was one of them. Since then, there have been countless strictly-better takes on the genre.

As a game, MtG has little to no merit. It's nowhere near being the best on the market at anything - except, as you say, being a cash cow.
>>
>>46968907
This. It operates entirely on it's own inertia, if it had been released today, no one would give it the time of day.
>>
>>46968803
I don't play a lot of LCG or ECG or whatevertheir publishers decide to clal them. (fun fact: Living Card Game is copyrighted by Fantasy Flight, other publishers must come up with something recognizable yet different. Ashes is an Expandable Card Game)

Eh... Rules lawyering, like me, will not like that aspect of Ashes, but it's young and the author just needs a bit of experience, I think, in writing anything like this. It has a very active community constantly giving suggestions for improvement, it will be seen how well they are received. We spoke of Magic, and it was a turd too before it went through reivsions and FAQs and finally had everything compiled in its Comprehensive Rules. Ashes has ways to go and the start seems promising enough.

Right now it suffers from lack of variety. The card pool is small, right now there are 8 precon decks with 10 cards each (3x) and that's what you have to build constructed decks.

I'd suggest you try it. The base set comes with 6 precon decks, all playable, and every copy of every card in the set to jump right into constructed, whereas I'm told other LCGs don't give you enough to run every possible combination out of the box.

As for trying something else in the same genre, I've been told great things about Netrunner. Game of Thrones is still going pretty strong too.
>>
>>46968428
Love Ashes, but man, the lack of a stack hurts it when they try to branch out into interesting card design territory. Especially given their decision to have nothing resolve simultaneously, rather, things all trigger but active players decide order...and then flowcharts come out for when things can trigger.

Shame, but I play it casually with friends and we houserule/use intuition problems.
>>
>all this ashes discussion, which never happens
>I'm leaving to start my evening shift.

Sometimes life just ain't fair, anons.
>>
>>46968971
two more decks were "just" released so that gives a bit more for the lacking card pool, but damn you PHG, its that necesarry to leave uncheck and unprotected a community for so long?

I heard a lot Netrunner but the amounts of packs that exist for today is intimidating.
about a Game of Thrones I heard it was SLOW. like it will take you a while to achieve the 15 power points and the game turns eternal if someone dares to play melee (the 4 players mode)
>>
>>46969006
Well jsut bring it up the next /bgg/ or even here later, we're always the same anons around here, we're discussing Ashes now we'll do it again
>>46968972
Get this: there was a big argument about Poison, which triggers "after" having taken a main action, so you should expect that if you Poison your own unit then after that main action the unit is immediately dealt damage right?
Wrong because apparently "after" in Ashes means that the card has to be in play for the whole effect it goes after, from start to finish, so since Poison wasn't in play at the start of the main action you just took it would not trigger at the end of it
Which is kinda fine if that's how you want the card to work, but then adapt the way you write the card and the way you write your rules/FAQs to reflect your intent. I love the game but shit like this makes me wonder if it was as thoroughly playtested as they claim (including being playtested by gamers with a background in competitive card gaming, since that's what they are aiming for)
>>
>>46969068

Netrunner has kinda gone off the rails. The recent datapacks have been edging further and further away from the core theme into their own weird territory. Like, there was a fucking 50's diner themed pack...

Thrones is slow but intense. There are aggro strategies that you can play to speed things up, but it is the baseball game of LCGs.
>>
>>46969068
Yes, GoT should absolutely be played as a duel. It will take forever and be a horrible experience otherwise.
As for Netrunner, the nature of LCGs helps you with that. Just netdeck a list, find out which packs contain the cards you need and get those. You could do that with Ashes as well, I guess, except almost every deck right now uses cards from core and The Giants of Frostdale both (The Children of Blackcloud is less mandatory but still Choke, Crimson Bomber and Blood Chains saw a lot of play at Tulsa)
>>
>>46969068
What do you mean by "uncheck and unprotected"? We had constant previews from well before a month the decks came out, a lot of publicity for the upcoming OP kit and the big Tulsa event, Isaac Vega personally giving podcast interviews, a publishingplan laid out for the next 6 decks, an official forum and card browser/deck builder set up with inbuilt comment fucntions... I don't think PHG is slacking in promoting their game and supporting their community
>>
I like Doomtown:Reloaded.
I know, I know. I'm not that smart for trusting on AEG.
>>
>>46968682
Mark Rosewater plz go
>>
>>46968907
>>46968682
>>46968836
>>46934592
>>46929305
What about.... Hearthstone?
>>
>>46969643
GET OUT
>>
>>46968682
Lol, even Dicemaster is more fun and better designed... and that game is kind of sloppy with it's rules.
>>
>>46970010
hey don't be mean with Dicemasters.
>>
File: monopoly deal.jpg (158 KB, 639x956) Image search: [Google]
monopoly deal.jpg
158 KB, 639x956
Which should I get...?
>>
>>46970087
THE FUCKING ROBOT
>>
>>46970127
This, that robot is pretty darn rad. Also, I have no idea what changes the Millionaire version has, but they're not worth forking over $24 for.
>>
>>46970055
I love it, but come on man, it had a sloppy beginning.
>>
>>46970300
oh you talk about the beggining? yeah I give you that. the community still don't recover from Tsarina, Gobby or who knows what other outworldy abomination were the first sets.
D&D for lyf
>>
>>46970087
Any that isn't Millionaire Deal, which has shitty color choices, they have 3 property blocks that are different shades of gold, rather than keeping things simple with blue/red/green/yellow/etc.

>>46970170
That's actually kinda odd since the original Deal is OoP in favor of Millionaire, but no, not ever worth more.
>>
>>46970335
I haven't been buying in a while. What new sets are worth getting? I'm probably getting TMNT since it's standalone.
>>
>>46970466
without being biased D&D Faerun under siege is a very good addition, it included some good ideas like golems that can be bought with creatures instead of energy, and new Items such as potions, equipments and things like the [Deck of many things]
World Finest can be fun if you run either villians or you are a Bat or Super fag.
I don't know too much about Civil War but I'm a little worried since they included Whor as the replacement of Thor.

about previous sets?
War of Light at least here is meta
Amazing Spiderman is cool, a little odd in certain "tribe" decisions (like why Wolverine or Blade are in this set and what is odd why they are "spider friends"), you can easily play a minion deck using Aunt may and Mary Jane as main attackers. just imagine an army of grannies flying around the big apple laying chaos and destruction.
>>
>>46970592
>an army of grannies flying around the big apple laying chaos and destruction

If anyone here has any artistic ability, please draw that. I want a painting of that framed to hang on my wall.
>>
>>46969643

Hearthstone had one innovation that sparked interest for a while - "Arena" made it possibly for people to do drafts without having to deal with draft queues and a few other obnoxious draft-related issues like rare-drafters and people dropping out.

Constructed Hearthstone was always a joke.
>>
Anybody going to Kingdom-Con?
>>
>>46971875
>Kingdom-Con
Huh, would it be crazy for me to buy a ticket flight ticket and get over there? lol nah, it's too late to find a place to stay.
>>
>>46971965
I don't think is big enough to be flight ticket worthy.
>>
>>46969643
Hearthstone may be kinda sorta okayish leaning to good, but its appeal is mainly for Blizzfags used to getting dicked out of their money without even receiving a physical copy of the cards they paid for.
Also, Blizz took the one thing that made me ragequit M:tG, randomised booster packs that effectively makes HS pay-to-win.
>>
Can any of you fa/tg/uys share the latest Santorini Gods pic, pretty please?
>>
why does Z-Man games let so many games go out of print god damn it... I want Onirim, but I'm not paying 70 or 80 for it.
>>
>>46974337

It's that high again? Weird.
It's not a particularly good game. Too easy to stay interesting.
>>
>>46906043
Twilight Imperium is probably my favorite just due to the insane depth of the game. Epic the card game has way more to it than meets the eye so that closely follows.

The lightest three games I have are Eminent Domain, Castles of Burgundy and Star Realms. So given the high barrier of entry, I'll just say Star Realms though it hardly counts.

Kemet. I don't know how, but I thought it was more of a wargame. Then I learned the glory of its diceless economy and strategy.

It's not light but Star Realms. When I don't want to get into the depth of TI3 or Tide of Iron, usually I crank out Star Realms or Xia Legends of a Drift System.The latter one is longer but less intensive since it's relaxing.

Epic's 4 expansion packs in the Tyrants collection x3. Overall going to be $40 on csi for what amounts to 156 cards. Three times more expensive than the base set, which annoys the shit out of me. I won't be able to buy it for a while due to the high relative cost, so White Wizard is actually screwing themselves out of customers with this.

I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm not sure what new things are coming. Definitely have to get Ta-Seti for Kemet but I'm waiting for a sale.
>>
>>46906622
The bar of entry with Go is TOO high for me. Like at least having something rewarding happen for people who are just learning and have less than ten games would be nice. Such is life with abstract strategy games.
>>
>>46929005
Magic was obsolete within a few years. Being the first has just "grandfathered" it in. The combat system is a game of Chicken (see - Game Theory), which is, in laypersons terms: an impasse. The instant response times for players make the game to spammy in design but the insanely slow ramping makes the game boring and essentially give you one choice per turn. You play with your opening hand for the most part. Now, you can totally argue some bullshit like "In X set or with Y color, Z of the above does not apply!" but you can't eliminate all of them. The game had no respect for math. Which is fine since it was the first and expectations weren't there. Wizards modern having to build off a shitty core is doing a standup job for the most part but that doesn't mean the game holds up these days.

Epic the card game is like what if Magic were designed from the ground up with a deep understanding of card strategy. Hell even Dragonball Z has more depth and choices in a given turn.
>>
So I just read the three AMA's with the senior producer for the Dark Souls KS. Same two guys that created Guild Ball are doing this, and GB is awesome. However, the description of the game sounds pretty damn boring. Anyone else thats read the AMA's: do you think there is enough potential in the non combat encounters to make this game interesting? Because unless the boss mechanics + behaviors are ground breakingly awesome - I dont see how killing monsters stays fresh.
>>
>>46943120
>Android: Mainframe
Is that any good? I gave that a small look and looked boring...
>>
>>46930543
I don't mind almost all of those things since it accurately reflects Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, time and frustration are your resources. As long as the developers don't do something stupid (like tie iframes to a stat or forget to turn on poise), the game feels satisfying based on the proportion of time you put in to the amount of frustration to mitigate.

What really worries me about this game are the expensive as dicks expansions. So that basically if you don't back this incredibly expensive game during development when you still don't know
>Component quality
>Finalized design work
>The entire flow and feel of the game
>Any reviews whatsoever
>The company's commitment
>Future expansion prices/frequency/quality
you don't get everything. You would just get an expensive core, which does look pretty large and impressive but would be practically unexpandable without dropping insane money. Basically right now it looks like a better functioning but incomplete descent where the expansion pieces are twice as expensive.

Also boss decks shouldn't have to be solved this way but technically there's nothing stopping you from making a few yourself and mixing it up. Know me, I'll probably write a program for their A.I.
>>
>>46906043
Is Secret Hitler actually any good? I've heard the concept and I must say that it looks enjoyable.
>>
File: 226651962.jpg (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
226651962.jpg
56 KB, 250x250
>friend brings his girlfriend to game night
>>
>>46974865
Completely agree. They think they're being so generous with all the free content for backers, but they're really not giving people a choice. The base game is expensive as fuck, getting the free expansions is the only way to ever justify it. Very bad pricing and pre-order bullshit, not consumer friendly.
>>
>>46968682
Why in the world do you think inventing the genre is a good thing? There's almost no case where that would lead to the best of something since humans by nature innovate and improve.
>>
>>46970010
Not gonna lie, Yugioh Dicemasters was amazing (not to be confused with Dungeon Dice Monsters). I had way too much fun with that game. Wish I physically owned a copy instead of just on TTS.
>>
>>46938985
>beer and pretzel crowd
I'm not familiar with this euphemism. I don't really hang around a lot of people who drink or eat pretzels?
>>
>>46921084
>Traitor? Dead of Winter
Dead of Winter's traitor mechanic is really weak, though. It feels like it was tacked on for the hell of it.
>>
>>46941949
Interjecting: Do you allow players to use all-Panini cards with stuff like Score TIAWT? I know I do since Panini's reprints are dicks-expensive.
>>
>>46950434
I tried this game but it fell really flat. Loved the huge number of female leaders but having dice and cards as a method of randomness really kills games for me.
>>
>>46974920
See, I always see that as "yeshhhhh, ah-notha convert to da clahn."

I game with as many girls as guys though, so I guess I've never had a reason to reee?
>>
>>46974944
Very KS-backer friendly. Very general consumer unfriendly. My prediction is that it rockets on KS but dies in retail.
>>
>>46975157
Except there are mechanics and cards that mitigate the dice randomness, and...you pick your opening hand?

Hell, one of the best units in the game is amazing because it offers damage when you fix your dice. Something you were probably going to do anyway.

The decks are also quite small and drawing out leads to death, so card draw spells are not even as highly rated as in most ccgs. The game has flaws, but randomness really isn't one of them.
>>
>>46975282
Sure these are great talking points. But in the actual physical game itself, it was just like a really really random game of the simplest MTG concepts.
>>
>>46974848
It's a solid 6, maybe 7/10; the components are really nice but the game is nothing amazing compared to any other abstract out there. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't pay what FFG is asking, which granted is true of a lot of their games, but there's so many good abstracts out in the last 3-4 years, and more and more are getting really good productions.

>>46974918
It's Resistance:Avalon set in 1930s Germany, if you enjoy Resistance or Avalon you prolly won't want to toss this one out, but the question becomes do you need another copy?

>>46975083
It's the opposite of a Perrier and Caviar crowd
>>
>>46975378
I don't understand alcohol and snacks. So one are dirty drunks and the other are pretentious drunks?
>>
File: 1460340415393.jpg (217 KB, 857x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460340415393.jpg
217 KB, 857x1000
>>46975378
>It's a solid 6, maybe 7/10; the components are really nice but the game is nothing amazing compared to any other abstract out there. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't pay what FFG is asking, which granted is true of a lot of their games, but there's so many good abstracts out in the last 3-4 years, and more and more are getting really good productions.

It came out literally today. Have a lot of plays under your belt, do you?

>>46974848

Haven't had a chance to play. Looking forward to giving it a try. I was pretty meh about it from the previews but I heard one guy describe it as "Onitama for Go", which piqued my interest. I checked out the rulebook and it looks pretty awesome.
>>
>>46975502
Actually played it at my LGS today yeah, granted it was just once, but it was enough to get a feel for it.
>>
>>46975656

Can I ask what your favorite abstracts are?
>>
>>46975739
Probably The Duke/Jarl would be my favorite right now, it's short and simple and yes luck is involved, but it's also tense the whole game, and doesn't kill my brain at the end of the day.

Past that I've enjoyed the GIPF series, maybe TZAAR or YINSH would be my favorite there. I had Qin, which was fun, but pasted on theme (shoulda been Roman conquest of Goths) and the dominoes were a bit unbalanced so traded it away. Been playing a homebrew Santorini with the wife to decide if it was worth pledging, decided against it, but just because we're cheap and figure it'll be at CSI or Amazon for 25% off later, it's definitely pretty solid.

Actually thinking about Mainframe a bit more, it gave a dots & boxes/Go feel, but on speed with the Onitama cardplay. It might be I'm just a bit burnt out on that type of feel in a game right now, because I've played Pagoda to death and it has a similar feel of not wanting to leave openings, and should I go for a good turn for me or try to prevent you from having a good one?
>>
>>46976103

Gotcha. My own taste in abstracts runs in quite a different direction. Could never get into the GIPF games at all.

Guess we'll see! Hoping to try Mainframe this weekend.
>>
>>46976283
Yeah and honestly I'm not sure I'm the best barometer for abstracts anyhow. I enjoy playing them, but I can't think of any that I'd rate above an 8/10 and that's prolly just The Duke.

Also any game I demo/play I immediately start thinking about how often it'll hit the table at home since my LGS is toxic, what's the cost, do I have anything else that's even close, etc. and that bleeds into how I rate it. I can't bring myself to try Patchwork, it's Mayfair and fuck that publisher. Plus there's so many good games out already, and more being released daily. I'm starting to think the new gauge for something worth putting at the top of the buy list is do I want to replay it immediately after finishing the first game?
>>
What's a good cheap game $10 or under? Not Sushi Go. Trying to get something cheap and fun to get free shipping
>>
>>46976520
>I'm starting to think the new gauge for something worth putting at the top of the buy list is do I want to replay it immediately after finishing the first game?

Crosses a lot of good games with long playtimes off the list. A better metric would be: are you excited for the next time you get to play it?

Which is probably what you meant and I'm just being pedantic. :-/

>>46976558

Not much under $10 that I know of.

Age of War? Neat little Knizia design.
>>
>>46976600
Thanks for the quick response. Age of War looks fun. I'll pick that up
>>
>>46976628

Coloretto
Coup
Hanabi
Love Letter

All good options too.
>>
How is puerto rico at 2p?
>>
So I'm fairly new to board gaming, and none of my few friends seem to be interested. So I've gone to game stores to play and searched a few meetup groups. Why is it that everyone in this hobby seems to be like 35 or older, at least where I am (Raleigh, NC). I'm 21 and it's just kind of weird. I'm always very self conscious when I tell people my age, and there just seems to always be some barrier for me to connect with other people due to age. Also, everyone acts super cringey.
>>
>>46978514
Not at all. It's barely playable even at 3 and 5, imo.
>>
>>46978654
I live in oregon and am the youngest person in my LGS's board game evening as well. Def a strange feeling (i'm 20)
>>
>>46978745
Do you mean its actually broken or just not as fun? I would be playing it with non-tryhard family at 2-4 p
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.