[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen if you convinced the god of magic that magic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: 77609.jpg (134 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
77609.jpg
134 KB, 600x849
What would happen if you convinced the god of magic that magic doesn't exist with a persuasion check?
>>
>>46867759
Well firstly I'd go looking for a better GM.
>>
>>46867759
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>46867759

That's not how persuasion checks work.
>>
>>46867759
How? Magic obviously exists. It would have to be a Deception check, not a Persuasion check.
>>
>>46867801
What if you're really, really persuasive.
>>
>>46867832
Nobody should have enough Persuasion to convince the God of Magic that is own purview, the thing that empowered his very existence, doesn't exist.
>>
>>46867759
he'd just recreate magic from first principles, duh, if he's the god of magic he ought to do something about magic not existing
existing long-term spells might blink for a moment but presumably the magic system is already designed the way he would intuitively design it, so nothing much should change after the immediate Y2K tier crashes
>>
>>46867759
You get sent back home to your magic-less pleb world, but with some hot blonde tail.

>pic related
>>
>>46867759
>persuasion
>not logic
Do you even turn over the chessboard, Mr. Incompetent?
>>
>>46868015
Way to fuck everything up, Marche.
>>
If it succeeds, it sets off the God of Magics Contigency spell to remind him magic does exist.
>>
>>46868087
Does it still work if he doesn't make a conscious effort to maintain the existence of magic?
>>
>>46867759
DC 5000. Good luck with that roll.
>>
>>46868219
That'd only take, like, 10 minutes of buffing.
>>
>>46867759
There's no such thing as a "persuasion" check in D&D. There are Bluff, Intimidate, and Diplomacy checks in 3.x, but none of these function as a method of hypnosis or suggestion. They can only sway surface impressions and attitudes rather than push a character to change core beliefs.
>>
The God would likely laugh at the convincing argument and even agree with you. They don't exist because magic needs a god. They exist because people want a god of magic. Clearly something must be behind the power of magic, and so the God of Magic is manifested from those thoughts. The God would also congratulate you on your first steps to understanding the universe.
>>
Rather than saying magic doesn't exist, convince him that magic shouldn't exist.
>>
>>46867832
Persuasion isn't the "magically make everyone agree with me, no matter how ridiculous, if I roll high enough" skill, sorry to burst your bubble.
>>
>>46867801
Thats how they work. The key issue is that you need to roll 60-80 to do that.
Just like Hide only needs a 70-80 check to be complete undetectable.

DND do get very trippy once you go there.
>>
In a situation where someone managed to do that. (Let's just assume it"s in a DnD game) Magic would continue to exist since "spells" are just ways to conjure things from the elemental planes. The god would probably just lose the magic or knowledge domain, depending on the edition.
>>
>>46867759
> What would happen if you convinced the god of magic that magic doesn't exist with a persuasion check?
It's not so much convinced that it doesn't exist, as proved that all of the encountered phenomena can be explained by things other than magic, thus rendering it vulnerable to plausible deniability.
>>
>>46868552
small bombs
>>
You wake up crippled with almost all of your family dead.
>>
>>46868626
It was Trap X, ain't gotta explain shit.

>>46868648
Nah, your family is having fun at Hawaii, while you are being raised by an abusive aunt until she dies and you find your amnesiac brother.
>>
>>46867759
He'd call you a faggot anyway and tell you that "lol the answer to the mystery doesn't matter!" is an unsatisfying ending no matter the meta-text.
>>
>>46868626
Every fucking time.
>>
>>46868696
It doesn't, though.
The whole point of the eighth chapter is to choose the answer yourself. It's a Schroedinger's box and you will never find a "correct" answer, so choose whatever appeals to you the most.

Also, he released the official "solution" brochure specifically for people like you.
>>
>>46868767
>will never find a "correct" answer, so choose whatever appeals to you the most.
If you didn't pick trick you're a faggot. I pity anyone that could possibly believe in magic.
>>
>>46868357
Stealing this if I ever come across this bizarrely specific scenario
>>
>>46867759
I'd immediately start looking for another GM.

Fuck D&D, PF and the mindset it created among players that le epic xD extremely high - and oft uncalled - skill checks should produce a wacky and extreme result.
>>
>>46868812
Anon, the point is that there is no evidence in-universe of what happened that day on Rokkenjima, so all speculation you can come up with is anecdotal and baseless. You are literally being shown fiction stories written by Tohya.
>>
>>46868494
If your DM lets you do this shit and actually succeed he's terrible
>>
File: Labrynths.jpg (99 KB, 911x910) Image search: [Google]
Labrynths.jpg
99 KB, 911x910
>>46868357
That is actually ingenious
>>
>>46867797
>Depends on the setting.
How some setting where you lose your magical powers if you think you dont have magical powers work?

I mean, before having magical powers, you wont have it, so you will think you doesnt have magical powers (because that is the truth), since you think you doesnt have magical powers you cant actually cast a spell.

Unless someone is already born with magical powers, but then the baby wouldnt know he has magical powers since he is just a baby and he knows almost nothing about stuff, so he would think he doenst have magical powers and would lose it, then after years or months he will discover what magical powers are and will know he doesn't have it and so will never be able to acquire it again.

Actually you would need to convince some guy without magical powers that he actually has those powers, and then after it teach him how to cast magic (and this works only if magic is something you can teach) by thinking he cast magic he will have the chance to cast it, after he learn how to do it
>>
>>46869175
>How some setting where you lose your magical powers if you think you dont have magical powers work?

A magical realm that applied transsexuality to magic.
"Urr durr, I think I am not a caster, so this means I can't cast magic"
>>
>>46869175
>insane people are usually the strongest, because without any evidence they think they have magic, and thus have the most 'time' to master it.
>>
>>46869175
The fact that losing faith in your magic deprives you of it does not necessarily mean that the converse is true, the converse being that not believing you have magical powers prevents you from learning spells.
>>
>>46867759
It realizes it was the god of sufficiently complex science all along?
>>
>>46869327
>the converse being that not believing you have magical powers prevents you from learning spells.
it doenst prevents, it just make you lose the ability to do it the same exact specific moment you acquire it
>>
>>46867797
The only thing that doesn't is how pointless your post is.
>>
>>46868269
How much of that buffing would involve the use of Magic?
>>
>>46869175
>>46869325
>How to problably convince transsexuality is wrong in 2 posts
>>
>>46867759
>natural 20s can do anything

Reddit is that way
>>
>>46869535
Or he min-maxed into social combat, to the point where he can outbullshit a god of magic.
Consider that notion for a moment, before making an obligatory shitpost.
>>
>>46867880
What about the God of Suicidal Persuasion?
>>
>>46868444
Nice try, Technocracy!
>>
>>46869535
There is nothing wrong with Reddit.
>>
>>46867759
He'd be confused by just how absolutely sure on the subject you seem to be, then test to see if he can still summon giant fireballs, easily do so, then throw it at you for for being a smarmy cunt.

You can't persuade someone when it comes to demonstrable facts.
>>
>>46867791
This should have been /thread desu
>>
>>46867759
How can you be a god of something that doesn't exist?

Surely a god would have a high enough sense motive or will check that you would never convince him of anything.
>>
>>46870063
Didn't you know, anon? Nat 20s warp reality to the point where you always get what you want, all the EPIC stories I've seen on /tg/ have told me so!
>>
>>46870063
Absolutely, if there is enough belief to create it.
>>
>>46870099

The funny thing is the rules for skills in 3e state that a one isn't an auto failure and a twenty isn't an auto success.

Is the critical failure/success for skills such a common house rule for 3e that people forget it isn't actually RAW?
>>
>>46868882
Escape artist lets you hide in places where your body shouldn't be physically able to fit. It's in the rulebook. Why wouldn't that be allowed?

Plus you can have tons of fun with shit like that, for example hiding inside people's asses and casting enlarge person on yourself.
>>
>>46870099
What if it was a nat one to convince the god of magic that magic does exist?
>>
>>46868357
That is some American Gods/Rise of the Guardians stuff going down right here.
>>
>>46867759
He creates an entirely new system of magic, which then becomes a part of the world forever.

Where did you think warlocks came from?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.