[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ Shadowrun General- Throwback Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: Shadowrun 1e Cover.jpg (54 KB, 376x500) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun 1e Cover.jpg
54 KB, 376x500
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to Athabaska Ottawa.

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>46831844
>Protecting_PANs_For_Dummies_The_Off_Switch.epub
>Inside_Boston_Leak_Riot.webm
>NOVAPULS-2076_11_26.txt
>cute_tiny_Piper_Perriwinkle_elf_slut_TROLLED.avi

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 41 (15% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Maybe Arms, Some Kind of Face- The Naga Story.'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running PoorLittleWageSlave.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Post like it's 2059.
>>
File: A Night's Work 3.gif (6 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
A Night's Work 3.gif
6 MB, 480x360
First for the Best Shadowrun Advert Ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

You have 4 minutes to watch this.
>>
File: Vote Dunkelzahn 2.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Vote Dunkelzahn 2.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
Live, damn you! Oh, what a fool was I, to think that people would recognize the pasta of years past, and weep with joy to see it in the catalog.

Or that they knew how to use the search feature to find /srg/.
>>
File: 1453978419681.gif (779 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
1453978419681.gif
779 KB, 450x320
What's the most incognito weapon you regularly use?
>inb4 monofilamint sapphire forearm gauntlets
>>
>>46854225
Augmented fists.
>>
File: Obidancer.png (297 KB, 385x800) Image search: [Google]
Obidancer.png
297 KB, 385x800
>>46854225
Once played a native character (face/infiltrator) who had a comb in her hair. It wasn't a secret knife or anything, just a metal comb with sharp teeth, and she'd stick people in the throat with it if she could get a grip on them from behind.
>>
>>46854183
Aside from the personal issues I have with the colors, fonts, and overall design here I think I'm just bothered by the fact that it's the wrong year.
>>
File: Vote Dunkelzahn.jpg (208 KB, 689x800) Image search: [Google]
Vote Dunkelzahn.jpg
208 KB, 689x800
>>46854331
I like the design, but I agree the year is annoying.
>>
File: Aztechnology Lobo LAV.jpg (70 KB, 736x700) Image search: [Google]
Aztechnology Lobo LAV.jpg
70 KB, 736x700
Hey, /srg/, I need a hand reading through Rigger 5.

Do the braketed numbers in the 'Seats' section refer to the number of people you can fit in there with a squeeze, or additional seats you have to install? They don't match up with the 150% increase in capacity for -1 Speed and Handling mentioned in Core.

Also, If I was going to have a vehicle full of anthrodrones, what should I get? Bulldog with Duellists, or is there something better in either drone or van?
>>
File: cyborg_squad_by_renegun-d87j5z7.png (473 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
cyborg_squad_by_renegun-d87j5z7.png
473 KB, 1024x576
I have a bizarre question. Can you teach a drone small unit tactics?
>>
>>46854634
The only one I saw with a seat number in () was the Krime Wing. And that one has the explanation on the page.

It seats ten trolls, or twenty smaller metahumans. If mixed, trolls count as two seats against the normal max of 20).
>>
>>46854331
He was given citizenship in 56 and elected in 57, wasn't he?
>>
File: Screenshot (13).png (288 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (13).png
288 KB, 1600x900
>>46854884
A bunch of them have weird things. For example, the Phaeton has 2/8 seats (which might mean 2 up front and 8 in the back), the Armadillo has 2/4, the Hauler 4/4, etc.

Meanwhile, pic related on pg 65-66 has 3(10), and I've no idea what that means. The Krime Wing has troll-to-other seats at a 2-to-1 ratio, so this doesn't fit with that.
>>
Is there ever a time when you'd rather use a called shot than just deal damage? Taking the previous whip loli as an example, let's say she's doing 13P with the whip at -8AP and hits the accuracy of 7, we're looking at 20 points of physical damage. The max DV of called shots seem to be 10, so you'd effectively drop half the damage of your attack to do a fancy called shot.

Of course you'r attempt a called shot if you wanted to subdue instead of killing outright, but if killing you're after, I'm not sure it makes sense to go for a called shot when you can kill someone in one hit through flat damage otherwise.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46854995

>5th day of 16th month
Jesus nigger, fake much?
>>
>>46855035
>burgertime
>>
>>46855051

You mean clapisclock?
>>
File: Screenshot (90).png (18 KB, 372x101) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (90).png
18 KB, 372x101
>>46854995
>>46855035
>>46854884

Shit, wrong image.
>>
So, /srg/ I gots a question. Or, rather, a gross incompetence that I'm hoping you can clear up. I'm running a decker for the first time, and horrific layout of of the Matrix rules section aside, I think I have handle on most of the basics

But I'm getting perplexed about how to handle files stored on other devices. Files stored on Commlinks are kind of the default case here. Only devices can be part of a PAN(or I have misunderstood and files are always part of a PAN and only devices count against the limit of a PAN), so are files just kind of floating around the PAN in a weird halo?

Likewise only personas and devices can run silent, so if a commlink full of files is running silent, is it given away in matrix-o-vision by the cloud of file icons following it around?

Does a decker need to have marks on a commlink to see what files are on it? If he has enough marks on the commlink, does he need to mark the files?

tl;dr - I think I get how devices, personas files and similar work in isolation(or in a host) but how, for example, files behave when stored on an actively used device is throwing me for a loop.
>>
>>46855080
>>46854995
In the case of the Minnesota, I think it's supposed to refer to the customization that the text talks about.

IE, if you put in the cabin with sleeper, it only 'seats' two (but in some kind of comfort) but if you leave it empty/as cargo then you can carry ten more people.

For the Phaeton, driver/pasanger makes a good split, but yeah. That should be more explicit. Somewhat the same for the Armadillo, but that one's section talks about how it has cabins for just about everything.

So the four would be either additional if you used the back as seating or total (again, should be explicit. I've seen six in the back of a truck before.)

The Hauler, it seems, is supposed to have room for four, and the back has setup to carry another four.

But as for the Vodyanoy my only guess is that since it's already downgraded to Squatter, 3 is what you'd get if you took amenities back up and ten is what you have at squatter.
>>
>>46854634
Read the description. Usually there are just two variants of vehicle - cargo and passenger.
>>
>>46855148
You can only see files if you can see the device they're on. You don't need marks on the device, just have to see it.

So if a comm or deck is in the area and running silently, you don't see the deck and you don't see the files (normally. They could be sending you a copy of the file while still running silent, but that's a bit aside the point.).

You don't need to have marks on the comm or deck to have marks on the file. The shakeout is like this. If you have a mark on the device, you can edit any of the files. If you were given a mark on the file (just about the only sane way you'll have a mark on the file and not the device) then you can mess around with the file, but do nothing to the device that requires a mark.
>>
>>46855397
So basically it's like sharing a file on a fileserver. You have access to the file but no admin or usr access to the server. Basically like running a ftp server.
>>
>>46855563
It is assumed that all files you don't feel like sharing with the wide world are in protected folder.
>>
>>46855279
>>46855280
Passenger/additional passenger attachment (or cabin/seating area) makes sense as an interpretation, but the Omni Motors Omnibus just says, "Seats: 53". And it doesn't explain why some would be in brackets and some with slashes (unless your theory about Squatter pans out).

Damn it, CGL, would it kill you to have any sort of consistency or explanation behind what you say? Honestly I'm hoping that SR: Anarchy goes with a keyword system like 4e. I know people say it's boring, but by God does it make everything very clear, and RAW and RAI are practically interchangable.
>>
>>46855933
>but the Omni Motors Omnibus just says, "Seats: 53"
And? It's a fucking bus, of course it has many seats.
>>
File: 1437265974726.jpg (88 KB, 600x557) Image search: [Google]
1437265974726.jpg
88 KB, 600x557
>>46856245
Did you not read the first part of that sentence, anon? If it said something like 1/52, then I would say, "Oh, this is clearly CGL trying to tell me how many seats there are up front, and how many are in the back." But it only gives the one number, despite splitting several other vehicles seemingly along those lines, which is infuriatingly unclear. They don't say what the slash is, and they seem to be inconsistent with how they use it.
>>
>>46856297
Although, by technicality, in the case of the bus it should all be together.

I've yet to see a bus where there was an actual driver's compartment. It's just one seat up front, but all one big compartment.
>>
File: Bus Driver Compartment.jpg (49 KB, 485x323) Image search: [Google]
Bus Driver Compartment.jpg
49 KB, 485x323
>>46856344
Welcome to the third world of NYC.

Also, they mention that the Omnibus is also one that can swap out the passenger area for a high-capacity compartment, which would seem to rule out the "slashes are breaking up the standard and extra capacity" argument.
>>
>>46856451
I think that what they're talking about for the Omnibus isn't a different compartment like I was talking about above, but talking about going from a Low amenities box to a Squatter box.

Granted, I'm just interpreting and making 'sense' of things (in quotes because there's not a lot of actual sense to be made), but a compartmented bus should be 1/52 if the interpretation I'm going with is close to right for some vehicles.
>>
>>46855787

I generally assume the opposite because lol why would you do that but yeah generally it works the same general way.

You can "click" on someone's icon in VR or AR and you probably get all sorts of status information like their twitter/facebook feed and if they want to you can probably find out where they got those awesome threads and for what price so that you can just access amazon real quick and order a pair of jeans in your size. You probably also can see the spotify feed they are listening too and even download some music files to your personal account assuming you have a grid subscription.

You might even be able to see their public calendar so you can schedule a meeting or a lunch date pending them accepting it.

If they are DTF you can even swipe right and schedule a hook-up
>>
>>46856451

I imagine most buses by 2050-2075 are actually remotely piloted or drone driven. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to have a actual driver when a drone and gridguide could handle 90% of the driving and you can just have a remote driver take over if the 405 Hellhounds are making the morning commute shitty today.
>>
>>46855012
You have somehow missed the called shot designed for dealing extra damage: Vitals, in the core book.

The R&G called shots are intended for disabling/crippling, not killing.
>>
>>46854725
I also am wondering this, but I would assume that the drone swarm rules have it covered.
>>
File: 1456786936252.jpg (95 KB, 1024x581) Image search: [Google]
1456786936252.jpg
95 KB, 1024x581
are there any light/holdout pistols that can fit an underbarrel mod?
>>
>>46856822
Found it eventually, Skillset autosoft can acheive this if you can sell your GM on it being Professional Knowledge skill.
>>
Would a medium sized roto-drone be able to carry an average metahuman?
>>
File: Doberman.jpg (69 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
Doberman.jpg
69 KB, 400x480
>>46857073
I'd say a hard no. If it was totally unencumbered, maybe a large one might get you off the ground, but one-man helicopters are a thing in SR for a reason.
>>
>>46856630
Well you'd think aiming for a carotid artery would do more damage. But yes, I actually did miss called shot on vitals, thanks for that. However, I'm not sure +2dv is worth it when you can get more than that with those 4 dice you need to drop
>>
>>46856570
>I generally assume the opposite because lol why would you do that
Because I value my privacy. And because CRB 222 says so.

>>46857073
Only drones capable of carrying Metahumans per RAW is dustoff and mule, they are both large.
>>
What kind of deck configs do you guys run?
>>
>>46856939

I think as a whole, you can't add any accessories on holdouts full stop. If you want a compromise on concealability, modularity and firepower, you go for a light pistol.
>>
>>46857156

Then you agree with me. I assume most files are private and need to be implicitly shared.
>>
>>46857227
I think you mean explicitly.
>>
>>46857132
>>46857156
I've "aquired" an LEBD-2 with an enhanced winch.
Any idea what i can use it for, or am i better of replacing it?
>>
>>46857405
Pretend to be a cop and using the winch to arrest criminals? You can't carry them away, but you can slow them down.

There's a drone in Bullets and Bandages that can carry people; it's meant for wounded, but you could probably modify it to hold you.
>>
>>46856939
I think only heavy pistols can take underbarrel mods. I let my players mod their holdouts with internal and grip mods though.
>>
>>46857496
Guess its time to buy a bountyhunting license
>>
>>46857262
Yes that's what happens when I fire off a quick response without double checking my response
>>
>>46857163

No matter the deck I typically run with Sleaze highest assuming it's a hostile grid or host. Then firewall the data processing and finally attack.

Data processing rarely needs to be elevated so I want Firewall in case of IC being triggered.

Having attack and sleaze at opposite ends means if I need to go hard I can swap attributes quick and go noisy.

Unless it's a shit deck I like running with an exploit program at a minimum.
>>
File: Boomstick.jpg (279 KB, 405x800) Image search: [Google]
Boomstick.jpg
279 KB, 405x800
Troll girls because troll girls. Just finished this one up.
>>
>>46858070
Nice!!!
I love buff women.
(can you do an oni?)
>>
File: HUMANIS.png (354 KB, 414x517) Image search: [Google]
HUMANIS.png
354 KB, 414x517
>>46858070
We don't like your kind around here.
>>
What metahuman/ethnicity combination would have the worst farts in the Sixth world?
My vote's for a UCAS /fitizen/ Troll who eats 40kg of protein powder a day - sometimes with creatine.

>>46858070
I like it. Is that a Casey Jones style ballistic mask?
she could be the troll that eats 40kg of protein powder every day
>>
>>46857163
Normal config is high sleaze with Stealth, Fly on the Wall and Exploit and Overclocker set to Sleaze.
>>
File: 1459312726050.webm (3 MB, 1269x708) Image search: [Google]
1459312726050.webm
3 MB, 1269x708
>>46858186
>>
>>46858159
Yeah, I've done an oni mage before. I'll work something up in a lil bit, it's lunch time.

>>46858207
Yeah, looks similar. Was going to be a helmet at first, but screw figuring out how that would work with horns.
>>
>>46858459
Nice!!
I saw a lot of "petite" oni here, but very few real ones.
>>
>>46858601
That's a good oni you posted, I'd run with her.
>>
Quick question, before a session starts. Would magically assensing someone give their metatype? sr5 table says that it can discover technomancy, deltaware, gene therapy (5+ net hits) so is metatype not too far of a stretch?
>>
>>46858786
I would argue that metatype is around a 2 or 3 net hits - 5+ net hits? You're golden.
>>
>>46858831
Net hits? What are you rolling against when assessing?
>>
>>46858786
The reason for metatype not being on that table, is it's obvious. Just like in meat, you can tell troll from a pixie, or human from an elf, unless they are faking it.
>>
Would there happen to be any modifiers for a targets size when shooting them?
>>
>>46858952
Usually it's a simple roll. There's some metamagics that make it not simple.
>>
>>46858981
There are optional 5e rules for just that in run and gun.
>>
>>46859157
Is there any modifiers for a vulpine shapeshifter?
>>
>>46858994
Then why is that anon talking about net hits? Is that anon silly^
>>
>>46859409
It's in run and gun, chummer, check for yourself and see.
>>
>>46859409
Depends on whether she's cute or not.
>>
Is there a way to make thrown grenades detonate instantly when it lands? My DM's a dick and likes to have the mooks sacrifice themselves to toss the grenade back every damn time I throw one. I know that grenade launchers have remote detonation - should I just stop putting points in thrown grenades and get a grenade launcher?
>>
>>46859789
Motion sensor option on the detonator p181
>>
>>46859789

Wireless grenades broseph. Embrace the wireless revolution.

That and punch your GM in the dick
>>
>>46859789
Grenades can detonate wirelessly by default.

Yes, this means they can be hacked. Have a good decker.
>>
>>46859585
Most likely. There could also be spells, but the ones that I immediately think of don't actually oppose as much as make it harder to see.
>>
>>46859905

Honestly a solid commlink generally has a solid enough firewall to protect your gear.

That and I always assume that Gernades have a physical only safety measure so that you can't just "lolololol I blow up the Grenades on that guy's tactical vest chunky salsa time"
>>
>>46859789
Air burst link and wireless, yeah.
>>
>>46859789
Shouldn't be too hard to rig a contact sensor on grenades. Stay away from wireless, it's a bad fucking idea to open the possibility of someone fucking with your shit.
>>
>>46860003
Thats the motion sensor option
>>
What calibre are common rounds in shadowrun?
Holdouts .45
Light pistols 9mm
Heavy pistols 10mm
Assault rifles 6.5mm
Precision rifles 7.62mm
Or something.

Why don't machine pistols eat light pistol rounds per RAW?
>>
>>46860076
Calibre are ignored in SR, maybe a /k/omando can make an educate gues.
>>
>>46859957
Just only have wireless on when you throw it. Otherwise your just asking for bad things really. Is you have an unreasonable amount of grenades plus other gear to protect, you're going to have a hard time protecting those and everything else you'll want running wireless.
>>
>>46860076

Hold-outs- .22
Light Pistols- .38 special and 9mm
Heavy Pistols- .45- 10mm S&W - .44 Magnum .357 Magnum .454 Casull
Assault Rifles- 5.56mm typically but in theory this also
Battle and Hunting Rifles- 7.62mm
Sniper Rifle- 7.62mm with some limited .50
Assault Cannons- 14.5mm with some limited 20mm
Shotguns- 12-gauge and 10-gauge

Some weird 5.7mm mixed in there of course. I assume that despite caseless being super cool in the 80s SR really doesn't do caseless because catalyst can't into guns.
>>
>>46860076
Holdouts. 45 what? Maybe the palm pistol

Holdouts .38
Light Pistols 9mm, .45
Heavy Pistols .357, 10mm, 44 Magnum
However these are guesstimates and really the devs don't think about calibers
>>
>>46860244
You actually have your choice of cased or caseless ammo in most cases.
>>
>>46860250
Well I was going with .45 since it has lowest capacity and lowest damage potential of all pistol calibres.
>>46860244
>.45 in heavy pistols
Well if you double the case size and triple the powder, maybe.
>>
>>46860361
>>46860361
>lowest damage potential
Im not a fan of. 45 personally but I don't think this is true at all
>>
>>46860286

Yeah that shit's dumb, caseless ammo is cool but in general caseless has a huge number of issues that make it impractical. I could see polymer based cased ammo becoming more common though.

>>46860361

Really depends .45 ACP is definitely less powerful than a hot 10mm but both are pretty lightweight in comparison to shit like the .454 which I assume is what the Super Warhawk would use.

The result is that the Heavy Pistol category is pretty broad but let's be honest a .45 is still closer to a 10mm than it is to 9mm and .38
>>
>>46860516

That being said I could see the .45 ACP being phased out because it's more or less garbage vs kevlar body armor. But honestly most pistol ammo would be garbage vs body armor especially anything with ceramic plating.
>>
>>46860516
>>46860386

.45 is closer in size to heavier pistol loads, but low powder and heavy bullet result in a slow slug that basically pokes a hole and that's it. 9mm penetrates deeper and causes a more devastating temporary wound cavity. And you can carry more of it.
>>
So grenades in chummer5 show up in your weapons, but you can't actually expend any of them? Am I doing something wrong?
>>
I could also see a lot of runner using various subsonic ammo types like the 9mmx39 and the 7.62mm subsonic rounds because subsonic 9mm pistol rounds would suck balls at actually taking out an armored target.
>>
>>46860916
Got to expend them in the gear section
>>
>>46860003
How does shadowrun handle wireless communicators and hacking?
>>
>>46861175
Often slightly better than people think of it.

As a for instance, anyone know what the difference between a cyber-arm with an implanted SMG, one with a shock hand, and one with a cyberarm slide is? Only one can be effectively hacked.

And hacking grenades generally just means that they won't go off, unless somebody's gone and done horrible things to it.
>>
File: SerafukuOni.jpg (333 KB, 537x800) Image search: [Google]
SerafukuOni.jpg
333 KB, 537x800
>>46858159
Maybe not what you were looking for, but first idea I had. Oni don't get a lot of love, so I'll probably be doing more later on.
>>
>>46861175
Like a horny teenager handles boobs.Awkward, clumsy, and what the fuck did you do that for, pervert!
>>
>>46861669
Aw, I fucked up. Should have named it 'horny schoolgirl bangs her classmates'.
>>
>>46862104
>no flashbangs
come on....
>>
>>46862143
She already threw them, obviously.
>>
I have a question of the "what would Lofwyr do" variety.

Situation: SK suspects certain country of creating an undetectable weapon made for matrix-fuckery. They hire a group of shadowrunners (incognito, obviously) to nab an army scientist guy. After fucking up twice, they finally manage to get a hold of the guy, and bring him to delivery point. Prisoner is exchanged for money, everyone's happy.

Enter Guy B. Guy B is heavily cybered, takes down two guards and driver of SK VTOL. Seeing how the 'runners do not oppose him, he promptly ignores them, gets in the VTOL and leaves the scene while the 'runners are surrounded by rentacops, SK agents supposed to exfiltrate them, Ares employees that are here to grab one of Shadowrunners (former session) and DocWagon people convinced that two characters are critical.

Will SK plan on making an example of the shadowrunners 'cause the target was kidnapped by someone else, or consider the services rendered?
>>
>>46863530
I think Lofwy would give them the choice between 25% pay or recapture the target for a 25% bonus.
And more importantly, hell remember the choice you made!
>>
>>46863530
Is Guy B completely unopposed by the SK security team sent with the Johnson for the pickup? Hell the runners would also have their reputation to consider, this scenario is worth at least 2 points of notoriety and 3 points of Public Awareness.
>>
Is it practical for my decker to only carry a taser?
>>
>>46863845
Why? Are you gonna put your deck in the taser? I would suggest getting a heavy pistol just as a shit's gettin' dangerous gun just in case. Also, you are going to need armor and some ammo, maybe a hardware kit as well.
>>
>>46863833

There were only two guys (and the driver) at the tradeoff location; none of them stood a chance. The rest of the crowd I mentioned was slowly approaching when the situation took place.

>>46863705

They already have the case with credsticks, though. Or are you implying that SK shoud demand their money back?
>>
>>46863845
Tasers are nice weapons because they're usually Stick and Shock, only better.

But like others have said, you probably want a range option too.
>>
>>46863530
Risks of the game. Aztechnology might have you killed, but SK's got a reputation for cold bloodedness, if nothing else. I'd say it's more likely they'd reward you for initiative, but if you'd been paid and the trade had occurred, it'd be pretty unprofessional to hold the runners accountable.

Unless they thought you had something to do with it. Awfully convenient that second cybered up guy turned up at the perfect moment. One might suspect that the Runner's had done a deal with a third party.

>>46863845

It's not the worst idea. But the utility you can get out of a few grenades or a turn or two of suppressive fire shouldn't be underestimated, even if you don't have a bullet gun. You might also consider a bodyguard drone if you really want to focus on non-violent actions yourself.
>>
>>46863927
Ah if it was after transaction then they're fine.
>>
>>46864123
>Unless they thought you had something to do with it. Awfully convenient that second cybered up guy turned up at the perfect moment. One might suspect that the Runner's had done a deal with a third party.
Or the so called third party was also SK and they just want to use the pretense of a conveniently cybered up guy appearing to get rid of a troublesome Johnson/driver while also making sure that they got the nerd they were after.
>>
File: smug_dragon_is_smug.jpg (322 KB, 648x792) Image search: [Google]
smug_dragon_is_smug.jpg
322 KB, 648x792
>>46864229
Hehe, i like the way you think.
>>
>>46864123
Not the other posters, but how would one go about getting Ares or Shiawase to call off any hits on you? My group just decided to kick a beehive and now we are separated and I am seriously considering just going into hiding until all this blows over and leaving the others to their fate since I can't risk that our comms aren't compromised.
>>
>>46864520
Do shit work for them. Jobs that pay little and will most likely end up with you dead. If you survive enough they might consider taking you off the shit list. You still will be called for the suicide runs more often then not, but at least they will leave you better prepared than when you were in the doghouse.
>>
I there a Quality, or some other feature that allows you to start with more than Avail: 12 gear/cyber?
>>
>>46864667
Restricted Gear Quality
>>
Hey, I need your help you guys.
How do you quantify how much skills cost with nuyen?

I need to know because I am planning on putting together damage reports from corporations for the runs my players do, and I need to know how much killing jimmy bob costs.
>>
>>46864520

Help them take care of their enemies. Knock rungs off the corporate ladder. Ask Kane on how he survive being on the UCAS most wanted for so long and he will tell you to make it so you are too useful to die for all sides
>>
>>46864628
So let me say this to make sure I have understood you, I should try to contact a Johnson I have worked with, who might be a bit buttmad I didn't just destroy a prototype pistol which could home into someone after calibrations were made based on metatype, gender, magic affinity, etc, when he never said explicitly to do so, to hopefully get off KE's hunt if not on other corp territory otherwise hire some runners to whack list?
>>
1) Does anything like Bitcoin exist in Shadowrun?
2) If yes to 1, does anyone actually take it seriously?
>>
>>46863943

Voltaic grenade launcher. Eiger mentioned how you can fiddle with electric nades so they can up the amperage. Really good for fragging cybertrolls who arent insulated
>>
>>46864702
Thanks.
>>
>>46864709
probably a better idea out there, but skill and knowledge softs?
>>
>>46864709

The usual karma -> nuyen conversion is 2000Â¥ per 1 karma.

Somebody can get to rank 1 in a skill for 2 karma, or 4000Â¥.

Getting to rating 4 (listed in core as "Professional Level for most jobs") from nothing would cost 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 = 20 karma, or 40,000Â¥.
>>
>>46864767
>does anything like bitcoin exist?
Yes.
nuyen.
>>
>>46864781
miiight work, roughly.
>>46864783
Though exact numbers like these are better.

So it costs corporate quite a lot if you kill jimmy, assuming they trained jimmy in anything at all.

I really hope players appreciate the damage reports alongside their recap. Players love that kind of shit, right?
>>
>>46864818
Another way of doing it would be [total karma of highest dice pool x karma to nuyen conversion]/4 + cost of cyberware.
>>
>>46864783
Huh, so if you like to minmax and have to settle for prio D for skills or money, you should pick money since you get 4k extra.
>>
>>46865682

Not necessarily.

If you spend your skill points efficiently they can easily be worth more.

For example, putting those extra 4 skill points into specializations makes them worth 28 karma, or 56,000Â¥.
>>
Question.
Why would a corporate johnson not have an ENORMOUS negotiation skill pool?
I am trying to think of reasons to give the players even a little chance when it comes to negotiation rolls.
>>
>>46865847
Because not all the super experienced ones are sent to simple negotiations, because you usually have a face for that, because sometimes the Johnson is not someone very experienced in this, sometimes because they need some help, sometimes because they are demoted to Johnson.
>>
>>46865781
But specialisations are worth way less than a full point.
>>
>>46866929
Depends entirely on your character and the skill.
>>
I just have to check because Chummer says it's okay.

Can a Ballistic Shield be Smart linked? Particularly if a street sam character uses it as his signature weapon and has taken the exotic weapons skill.

It's for a casual game so no matter what I'll allow it no matter what. Just want some suggestions as to how a Smart linked ballistic shield operates.
>>
>>46868589
It has no more sense than smartlinked sword. At best it can detect when it hit.
>>
How do you gms deal with addiction rules since sr5 addiction rules were written by monkey moth priests?
>>
>>46868589
Can tell you how damaged it is. If you gave it some sensors and a clearsight autosoft, maybe it could detect potential trajectories (with its own perception check) and give an extra armor dice?
>>
>>46868872

CGL can't into guns, vehicles or drugs m8
>>
>>46868872
Drugs IRL
>>
>>46868872

Honestly though what part of the rules bother you?

For me the ridiculous level that you can speedball combat drugs to the point where you can routinely outpace cyber and bioware is problematic.
>>
I picked up a pristine 2e rulebook the other day kinda want to give it a go. Anyone have any experience with running it, got any tips, anything I should be looking to house rule?
>>
>>46869638

2e is honestly a total shit show. If you have to play an old edition 3e is the only way to go.
>>
>>46869638
Don't go too heavy into the sourcebooks. Core-only is pristine, and the best Shadowrun's ever been.

>>46869749
Uh, 3e is a lot more disjointed, and clumsier in a lot of places. It's easy to prefer it because it has more rules, but like, in terms of how functional it is? Nah.
>>
>>46869575

I just can't really follow the rules. They are horribly written and there was never really any big rewrite or errata for them.

Awful writing aside, I'm confused as to whether or not you need to do an addiction test every dose after the first or just at the end of your addiction time line or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>46870864
End your addiction timeline.
>>
In convention games that you guys have played in have they generally ran WAY over the 4 hours or did I just have a shit GM? Are mission games possible in 4 hours or a touch over?
>>
What's a good payday for the first mission of a new group?
>>
>>46873886
I have absolutely no experience, but in my experience, probably some kind of loot tailored to the gaps in their group.
A kind-of-crap van for the vehicleless group, some buster sins for the sinless, etcetera.

You know, something to smooth out those mistakes in chargen that will make further missions super hard.
>>
>>46864767
>Bitcoin
Nuyen IS Bitcoin.
Like seriously, no joke.
Your country is considered stupendously backward (or too hipster for your own good) if you still use physical currency.
>>
>>46874011
That's good advice. Gotta take care of the essentials.
Give them a sack of cred and they'll blow it on cyberdicks and booze.
>>
>>46874092
I think European nations still have their own currencies but they also accept nuyen.
>>
>>46874092
Most AA & AAA corporations use their own currency and coinage.
>>
Let's say I take over a chunk of the barrens with my shadowrunning team and start up our own currency.
How much of the barrens do you think we could get started using it?
>>
File: Yakisoba.jpg (287 KB, 448x800) Image search: [Google]
Yakisoba.jpg
287 KB, 448x800
MORE ONI.
Maybe someone can use this gal as an NPC or something.
>>
>>46874367
It's even an in-character thing, as your fixer could have arranged the payment as such specifically because you are a new group of shadowrunners.
>>
Two of my players who are constantly competing with one another had their characters have a literal dick measuring competition.

So I had them role 2d6 to determine the lengths of their dicks. One of them used edge to reroll and try to make his dick bigger and accidentally made it smaller instead.
>>
File: 1434207533012.jpg (259 KB, 789x1000) Image search: [Google]
1434207533012.jpg
259 KB, 789x1000
My group had to kick a player for various reasons, ranging from power gaming with an extremely broken character, DM frustration, group annoyance, passive aggressiveness for more face time, not wanting to role play when he is given face time, and just being a dick head 100% against group dynamic despite our best efforts.

so, our group is looking for a two or three people.

>its sunday at noon on EST, with plenty of room for 1v1 sessions with the GM for background events, and simple amusement. he's a fun guy who understands the system, setting, and has a fun accent.

>game is text based with possibility of voice OOC as everyone has a different accent, and we use google docs for down time RP.

>contact me on skype: fucking.fuck45

its 5th edition and our group includes an Elf Face/mage who rides a vespa, a Human Decker who is a pussy that drives an americar, A ghoul/assassin with a hellhound puppy and drives a rape van, and a shape shifter that escaped from the zoo that drives a moped gifted by the ghoul. We are still trying to determine what class the shapeshifter is going to play, but its probably going to be "oh god there's a tiger mauling me".

The game is set in Seattle, 2074 in the 2nd week of december. The group is currently heavily invested, we just need more people. We're in the process of creating an MSF style thing, our base is a renovated nuclear missile silo that has sat vacant for close to 70 years. We do runs, build up the base, then do free form runs for GMP, recruit a few people and keep the ball rolling. Because that's really the only way we'll ever manage to own an attack helicopter and actually need it. Or we could simply send men in masks with miniguns as a distraction while we rob knight errant of their attack helicopter

our old player is probably pretty salty and might talk shit about this group to dissuade potential recruits.
>>
>>46875312
damn.
All perfect except the time is four hours into my sleep schedule.
I wish you luck finding someone my man.
>>
>>46875312
I'm not the old player but this guy is uber trash.
>>
>>46875431
Have you played with him before or is this some ironic thing?
>>
>>46875516
I have played with him before, I'm not joking. I am dead serious. I would not recommend being in this man's game.

If any of you remember that screencap of someone on skype saying they wanted to be a hitman since they were 10 or something, that was fucking.fuck45.
>>
>>46875558
i think you just fell for trolling
>>
how would you guys rank mafia style chain of commands?
>>
File: Shadowrunner.gif (2 MB, 304x318) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrunner.gif
2 MB, 304x318
>>46853873

Heeey, I like that opening post.
>>
>>46874476
They have their own scrip, yes, but they also accept/use nuyen.

The advantage of paying your employees in scrip is that there's a overwhelmingly huge chance they'll spend it in company's businesses in order to get the most bang for their bucks, so to speak.
>>
would it be acceptably unobtrusive enough to simply ignore shapeshifters' existence for a 4e game? or is there some '''mega important'''' shapeshifter in the metaplot. I'd really rather not have to open the can of worms that is "you can play a fox girl" to my group.
>>
>>46876174
I have always referred playing as a SURGE fox girl anyway.
>>
>>46876174
You can easily stick to the base 5 metatypes and ignore Runner's Companion entirely.
>>
>>46876196
thing is i do like the extra qualities it adds, and the HMHVV/changeling/metavariant stuff. I just hate the idea of A: Shapeshifters and B: Drakes. drakes even more then shapeshifters becasue it is LITERALLY the most mary sue thing you could possibly be in shadowrun. "I am a shadowrunner BUT ALSO A DRAGON GUISE"

>>46876194
See if my players want to be SURGE muties that all have cute animal ears and tails i can run with that because it's in the fluff that a lot of SURGE cases got off easy for simply having 'cutesy' traits. Shapeshifters just smack of some wish fulfillment furry tier shit.
>>
>>46876174
Yeah just ignore all the Runner's Companion stuff. Shifters exist in the metaplot, but first, you can trim them from your game without fucking the setting up, and two, you can leave them in the game and just not allow them as PCs. Shifters and vampires in their 4e incarnations were built as enemies first and then crammed half-assedly into player chargen.

>>46876219
I mean you can allow or disallow any piece of Runner's Companion, it's up to you. I use most of the qualities and some of the other rules on the side, and, sparingly, the advanced lifestyles.
Also, most people wouldn't even slightly miss drakes.
>>
>>46876219
okay I can't be a drake but how do you feel about me getting scaled skin implants and a mouth-mounted flamethrower?
>>
>>46876308

> negative quality: drake poser
>>
>>46876308
>"Who's that guy?"
>"Dragon Man. Rumor has it he replaced his tongue with a flamethrower, and now he can only communicate in garbled yells and Matrix emojis. I go to the same chopdoc he uses, guy says he had to grow a whole wimp clone just to keep up with the guy's burn treatments."
>"Shit."
>>
>>46876308
>keep in line with transhuman/cyberpunk style
>not stupid furry/scaly mary sue

That's completely fine.
>>
>>46876364
>>46876337
now if only I could find rules for some kind of implanted jetpack.
Dragon man will burn across the sky yet.
>>
>>46876337
DNI should allow him to "speak" normally through a comlink or other device with a speech synthetizer.

Cool concept for a really outlandish runner otherwise.
>>
File: gang-road.jpg (103 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
gang-road.jpg
103 KB, 600x800
>>46876071
>the don
>some sort of a second-in-command that should be loyal to the big boss but obviously wants the power for himself; also acts a Johnson
>one or a couple layers of capos
>henchmen
>>
>>46876374
Skimmers and a grapple hand. It might not actually be flying, but are you going to argue with the man trailing blue fire as he screams towards the edge of a bridge?
>>
>>46876392
A consigliere would mostly double as Johnson, imo
>>
>>46876396
Yes, and I'll do it with lots of Stick and Shock.
>>
>>46876406
Don't bother honestly, he's probably not going to survive another twenty minutes with or without you wasting the ammo on him. But he'll make tomorrow's news.
>>
File: unspecified50.jpg (111 KB, 835x1280) Image search: [Google]
unspecified50.jpg
111 KB, 835x1280
>>46876428
Isn't that all we can hope to achieve?
A shadowrunner's wet dream.

pic related - just imagine the pink mohawk.
>>
>>46876456
I mean, I personally am going for slightly more than a very good Liveleak video and a traffic jam, but then, I keep a lower profile than many.
>>
>>46876306
good to know the idea of drakes is so univserally reviled. seriously, what the hell was that even?

vampire rules are neat but good god the number of HMHVV variant stuff to keep track of is hard.

I honestly' don't mind SURGE/changelings, because it lets the weeb be weeb without going full mary sue and it also does fit into lore pretty well that the weirder you look from SURGE the harsher people treat you.
>>
>>46876428
>>46876456
>>46876483
Pff, dragon man will live on.
He's probably going to be human for maximum edge.
>>
So, how often have you stolen missions from Armored Core for Shadowrun?
>>
>>46876537
I've never run shadowrun or played it, but I plan to, and that is a LOT of my gameplan.
That and hustler one showing up instead of a HTR.
>>
>>46876496
Drakes are cool in Earthdawn but they're just an orphaned concept in Shadowrun and they're not something that works as a PC character.

the Infected rules are... a bit unbalanced, and not particularly helpful. SURGE and shifters kinda have the same issues. The free spirit and AI rules are impressively trash, on the level of the chase combat rules.
>>
>>46876553
>want to play robots so bad
>all editions of shadowrun that allow it have notoriously shit AI rules
Goddamnit, cyberpunk has so many places for AIs that I just can't do
>>
>>46864520

Well, offering proof it wasn't you would be the easiest way. Beyond that, megacorps have deep pockets and long memories. But they've also got bigger fish to fry, particularly if the runners were just patsies of the real threat.

After the second set of assassins bites it, the corp might simply decide to stop sending good money after bad.

Beyond that, making an ally of a well placed corper/johnson could well have the incident forgotten.

>>46876496
A lot of it also ties into the metaphysics of the setting. A lot of it was from Earthdawn. The drakes were effectively the pawns on the dragons, and a lot of the SURGE snowflake types were actually other metatypes. There was a race called Obsidimen, for instance, that at the time of Shadowrun were mostly considered to be early cases of SURGE. Big rock golem dudes.
>>
>>46876565
I mean they don't get any worse than the 4e AI rules, if that helps. Honestly I think Shadowrun is a bit incompatible with PC AIs as a setting, though. The AIs that worked best for them were the rare and powerful ones like Deus, where it's kinda GitS-esque with it.
>>
>>46876572
I mean in MY headcanon, the obsidimen are just asleep. They're not exactly obligated to give a shit about things.
>>
>>46876586
I just want to play a robut, man.
Not some grand world spanning AI, not some weird matrix entity.
>>
>>46876604
Only game I can think of is Rifts. But that's because Rifts has everything.
>>
>>46876628
yeah, not many games actually let you play a robot, even the games where it totally makes sense thematically to have playable robots be a thing like shadowrun.
Fucking meat-privilege.
>>
>>46876637
I mean with Shadowrun specifically, there's just no reason why something like a robot would physically be a robot, and not an AI that could give a fuck about what physical node it's inhabiting.
>>
I have a question for you, /srg/. Due to a run ending in a bit too much heat, my group is going to have to lay low in the local Barrens equivalent for a while.

What are some weaird, outlandish denizens I could use that would make even cybertroll go "Oh Shit!" at first glance, but that could turn out to be friendly/not hostile in the long run?

I was thinking of a group of ghouls like in Dragonfall, but that idea is a bit overplayed right now. Any other weird beings that could fit the bill?
>>
>>46876374
Spy Games or War! has some kerosene rockets to go with a specific wingsuit. Both books have wingsuits.

CGL strikes again! Ha. Ha. Ha.
>>
>>46876654
All sorts of reasons if you want to come up with one.
I mean, An AI doesn't have to be an on the fly matrix fly by wire construction. AIs could instead work out of a single high power node instead of being all distributed like they currently are fluffwise.
>>
>>46876604
Can't you play a 5e AI, and just turn off the wireless on your robutt?

>>46876586
4e AI rules could do stuff, though. You had options in circumventing the layers of the shit-cake heaped upon you.
>>
>>46876565
Try Engine Heart? The only world-spanning AIs there I know of are local Skynet and some dubious good guy AI, everything else is a robot as the God intended.
>>
>>46876699
well, yeah, but they have shit rules. It was my original complaint.
I'll still play one if I can.
>>
>>46876683
Well computing power in Shadowrun right now is a fairly awkward subject to begin with.

>>46876699
That was just because you can game any part of the 4e rules if you try hard enough. It's less leaving you options and more forgetting to patch gaping holes.
>>
File: Cyberzombie.gif (2 MB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
Cyberzombie.gif
2 MB, 400x220
>>
File: run & gun.jpg (61 KB, 600x648) Image search: [Google]
run & gun.jpg
61 KB, 600x648
>>46877293
>0 essence.gif
>>
Now that Rigger 5.0 lets you turn any vehicle into a walker, can you be an AI specializing in Gunnery and Perform?
>>
>>46877428
The real question is if you can do that and also be an okay maid, inspiring leader, and cook (specialty of leeks).
>>
>>46877428
The core build for any drone-operating AI is max. Depth and the "Pilot Origins" quality. Beyond that, you can go wild.
>>
>>46877467
do you get exceptional attribute for maxier max depth?
>>
what book has the karma gen rules in 5e?
is it core? I can't find it
>>
>>46877559
That would be Run Faster.
>>
>>46877575
ah, okay. Thanks anon.
For general reference, do more GMs use priority or karmagen? In case I wanted to make characters while waiting for games.
>>
>>46877581
/tg/ prefers Karma, in general it's probably very slightly tilted towards Priority.
>>
>>46877501
Short answer: Not at chargen.

Long answer: AIs can grow 'beyond' their inherent racial max after charge. Attributes only if they get the "Exceptional Entity" quality. This quality allows to buy further Depth and other attributes.
>>
>>46877620
Adding on to this, if you don't have some experience, do priority a few times first.

Math out (or copy with Karmagen) the results and see where you might be able to optimize.
>>
>>46877581
I mostly see Karma advocates on here, but I personally prefer Priority. It demands a little bit more thought and tweaking than just being able to put your character together with point-buy does, and that often means that you get a few more good ideas in chargen and are forced to think outside your existing concept. That's the experience I've had with it, at least - quite a few characters have ended up with an interesting backstory element or quirk because those last 50.000 nuyen had to be spent somewhere.
>>
>>46877581
In my experience, Priority. Simply because it's the one present in the core rulebook.
>>
>>46877652
man I am trying to heave out unoptimized concepts here, I'll need all the points I can get just to get them to hobble out the gate

>>46877658
>>46877652
>>46877620
I really should have differentiated priority and sum-to-ten
>>
>>46877641
I disagree with the idea that Karma amounts are a sufficient gauge of how optimal a character is. It's an idea that's been pushed since the old BPgen optimization mathsters on places like Dumpshock, but it's never been a useful way to actually gain utility in a character, as far as I've seen.

>>46877664
If you know one, you mostly know the other, so I'd practice standard Priority.
>>
>>46877679
I think of it more in the sense that if you have to make lots of optimization cuts in Karmagen to get to where you were in Priority, use Priority.

Or optimize better.
>>
>>46877679
BP and karmagen have only been inferior because, IIRC, their priority and especially sum to ten alternatives usually present you with a lot more net Karma than you are given with a Point Buy system. At least as long as you are going Human in 5e.
>>
where does it tell you how many base dice you get for rigging hotsim VR? The chart on 159 of the core rulebook doesn't say shit about it.
>>
>>46877766
er, base INITIATIVE dice I mean.
>>
>>46877766
Isn't it 5d6, the same as for any other hotsim activity?
>>
>>46877733
Kinda, you can get heavily more Karma than you would with Karmagen but the less-optimal choices by that metric are still probably just as powerful in Karma (I like to choose Dwarves at B or C priority a lot, because as a mundane it allows a massive amount of flexibility in attribute purchases. Or another example, Skills A is the most optimal choice by Karma, but you don't get enough utility out of it unless your role demands a lot of skills, while the less beefy A Attributes is good for most everybody. Or, A Metatype D Magic being overall just an extremely solid pick).
>>
>>46877780
if that's the case, then those are some FAST FUCKING DRONES I'm going to be having.
>>
>>46877766
>Matrix: hot-sim VR: Data Processing + Intuition + 4D6

If you go in hot, it's the same whatever you do in there.
>>
>>46877784
Drone. No plural for rigging.
>>
>>46877792
okay, yes, drone.
Or car with arms and legs.
Somewhere between those two.
>>
>>46876667

A tough as nails gang of dwarves, that turn out to be under the thumb of their kindly matriarchal old grandmother, who's not quite aware of what's going on, but rules her family and block with an iron fist. Expect cookies, affectionate headpats and ministration to minor wounds, and devil rat heads in beds.

A TM cult. They provide matrix access to the area, and worship an unborn matrix deity, that they believe presently slumbers, waiting to grow strong, inside a physical 'cocoon' of fibre optic cables, that they add too an enhance. Massive amounts of data swirl around inside the cables, connected to large TM nodes and the wider matrix like some sort of huge resonance saturated hub.

A Sasquatch. He rides a specially designed unicycle around, not being particularly at home spiritually around technology. He's very well liked on the Matrix, doing a lot of really top notch voice acting work. He doesn't wear clothing, saved for hawaiian printed momos, and as it turns out, is a terrifying powerful Shaman of the Spirit of Occasionally Comprehensible Shrieking, He Who's Scream Will Unite and Enlighten The Righteous and Terrify the Wicked.

A mobile cybedoc that has cybernetic spider legs, spider eyes, and multi-handed cyberlimbs, and travels around in a large van, in the back of which he performs surgery, chopshopping, and cybernetic repair.

A fringe group of satanists, in the Crowley tradition. It's hard to tell if they're actually incredibly wicked, or just hugely edgy. There are carcasses and flayed skin decorations, though.

>>46877679
Maybe not in practise, but if a similarly intent person was using both, there's a strong chance they could make the character go further with BP, particularly after a run or two to round out the corners. Very relevant if you want a few extra skills at lower levels, but really want to be able to rely on a few key areas.
>>
>>46877780
>>46877790
Oh, right, it's 4d6 base, not 5 dice.
>>
>>46877780
I thought hot-sim was Intuition + Data Processing +4d6?

>>46877784
Not really. A drone's Speed rating is only for how much it can move in a combat turn, not in a single initiative pass.
>>
>>46877808
I'd say that overall Karma was tuned downwards a bit, but mostly for builds that require a lot of money or skills. Especially money, since A Resources gives you such a huge amount.
>>
>>46877806
You jump into it: DP + INT + 4d6

Your Drone acts independently: Pilot + Pilot + 4d6
>>
>>46877826

Yeah, but considering the karma savings of high levels of skill or stats, and how often builds want something between A and B resources, it's still a bit of a toss up. Particularly considering a fair bit of gear you can hope to steal or otherwise obtain after the start of the game. Rigger stuff, certainly. Depending on the GM.
>>
File: 1460435717913.jpg (20 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1460435717913.jpg
20 KB, 255x255
>>46877808
not that anon, but those are some cool ideas.

I'll steal them.
>>
>>46877808
that cyberdoc is basically the character I am assembling in prioritygen right now.
>>
>>46877808
Sasquatch and big hulking almost-cyberzombie street doc are good ideas, thanks.

Not that the other are bad, but what I want is something that make my character(s) go "Oh shit, monster!" at first sight.
>>
>>46877808
How would the crunch for spider legs work?
>>
>>46878232
Limnal body: centaur; refluffed a bit.
>>
>>46878232

Well, drawing from the stuff we already have (ie, multiple arms and eyes crunch, and similar ideas like raptor legs and balance tails), I'd say a sample ruleset would be a +4 to climbing and balance checks, and plus 50% speed. I'd probably include some sort of penalty to more complex stuff due to the human brain not really properly groking having 4 legs, but I suspect this particular guy has the neural rewiring to feel comfortable with them.

>>46878127
How about a black cloaked 'reaper' with a monofilament blade attached to the end of an assault cannon. He's a supervisory guard to a group of similarly black attired organleggers. They provide cheap surgical work, but there's always a cost, and what Goes Around Comes Around. They help you, and in the end, your organs go to them. Sometimes they don't wait that long, particularly if there's a debt owing. Homeless watch out.

There could also be a Rat Shaman. He fits the archetype well. Surrounded by vermin, that tend to herald his passage. He's not a bad guy, but he certainly resembles his 'congregation'. And some of these rats are BIG.

An adept that follows the bug tradition. Mantis variety. He's not going to lay his eggs in your brain, but anyone that has a good look at his astral signature is going to be sweating blood. He hunts supernatural nasties. His skin. Those eyes? Those blades? That SCREAM? Probably cyberware. Or really good bioware, right? Using magic on him makes him stronger, and it feels like the background count around him grows subtly wrong, somehow.
>>
>>46878284

Wait, that's a thing? Which book?
>>46878070
Yeah, Shadowrun's a real fertile ground for horrific Dr Frankenstein/Frankenstein's Monster type.
>>46878022
I love that the setting allows so much variety. You can sticky tape so many different concepts and ideas together and make them fit in pretty easily.
>>
>>46878441
Chrome Flesh.
>>
File: 1432698466702.jpg (3 MB, 3321x2549) Image search: [Google]
1432698466702.jpg
3 MB, 3321x2549
>>46874535
About 0.00%. You have no way to guarantee your Runnerbucks, no entity that actually produces goods would consider taking it, and there's literally no advantage it has over nuyen, local currency, or just straight-up barter. Trying to force people to use your worthless currency is a good way to get them to stop pretending you're in charge and just shoot you, though.
>>
>>46878635
I'd say that the one exception is if you can manage some kind of prestigious food gig.

In which case you can do coupons worth actual money. (Probably one NY.)
>>
File: 1437338511194.jpg (310 KB, 868x1252) Image search: [Google]
1437338511194.jpg
310 KB, 868x1252
>>46878786
If you have a connection that can get you a stable supply of food, and you offer gift cards, those cards may be traded as items of value, but IMO a currency needs to be able to be exchanged not just between individuals, but also between businesses. No smuggler bringing weapons or parts into the Barrens is going to want to take Subway gift cards as payment, and even within the Barrens people aren't going to want a ton of them- having cards that entitle you to 3 tons of soycaf are no good to a streetdoc who needs to buy new limbs to keep her business going. There's also the fact that a currency tied into a physical resource is very vulnerable to runs. All it takes is one little famine and your food bank has empty vaults, and the coupons are now worthless.
>>
>>46878879
Honestly, I just wanted to joke about the fine print on most of the coupons I've seen.

(For those that haven't looked those things over, most of them will say that they have an actual monetary face value of something like 1/25 of a cent.)
>>
>>46874092
1) Bitcoin is used in about three transactions per second, worldwide. Its blockchain has grown 60 GB in its existence. A single bank in the modern world handles tens of thousands of transactions per second; the Sixth World would have an even faster economy than our own. In short, nuyen could not possibly have a blockchain.
2) Nuyen is what shadowrunners expect to be paid in. In other words, nuyen must be immune to both 51% and 49% attacks.
2) Again, runners expectt o be paid in nuyen. Therefore, its value has to be stable. Plus, as grimdark as the setting is, there's no mention of anything like the value of nuyen changing rapidly from month to month.
>>
>>46878933
Well the simple difference is that the Nuyen is backed by Japan (and maybe the corporate court, but I don't remember). Having backing means it doesn't need many of the complexities of bitcoin, and also can have a basic level of stability.

But it's like bitcoin in that it's not physical, I guess. Though certified cred and registered cred aren't things that are paralleled in bitcoin at all.
>>
>>46874092
>it's an electronic currency therefore it's bitcoin
Are you writer for some yellow newspaper or something?
>>
>>46878933
>its value has to be stable
Nuyen value has been doing some crazy loop the loops between 2063 and 2074.
>>
So, when in the book it says "roll the device rating", do I roll DR [no limit] or 2xDR [DR]? I've seen it both ways in people's write ups.
>>
File: Shadowrun3 logo.gif (55 KB, 463x218) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun3 logo.gif
55 KB, 463x218
>>46876094
Glad you liked it. I'm particularly fond of
>cute_tiny_Piper_Perriwinkle_elf_slut_TROLLED.avi
and the Naga bit

The old pasta has so much opportunity for jokes.
>>
On the subject of trade, what is a good investment in the sixth world? Nuyen is the world currency, but it's easily tracked whenever you aren't using credsticks. Corporate slips are only as valuable as the corp issuing them, but they all can up and vanish easily if Fuchi is of any indication. I assume national currencies are worth very little outside the places that issue them.

How are traditional precious metals and diamonds holding up? And is there enough demand for orichalcum so that there's never an overabundance and devaluation of what a competent alchemist can pretty much make at home?
>>
>>46879276
2xDR [DR] looks like a formula where Device Rating substitutes for attributes and skills. If it says to roll DR, you should just do that with no limit.
>>
>>46879306
>How are traditional precious metals and diamonds holding up?
Decently. Still a solid way to tie up some reserve cash in the Sixth World

>And is there enough demand for orichalcum so that there's never an overabundance and devaluation
Barring a return of the Haley Comet, the demand will only continue to grow faster than the supply. Do note that there are a lot of people desperate enough to try and steal orichalcum considering how valuable it is, and some of those do get lucky. Make sure whatever company you invest in has a "in case of shadowrunners" insurance.

Beyond that, good ole stocks still rack up the nuyen.
>>
>>46879306
>but it's easily tracked
Remember there's a bunch of independent banks that allow for a good level of financial secrecy.
>orichalcum
Is extremely valuable. Hire runners to connect a piece the size of a credstick, valuable. A piece the size of a bullet is something like 50k nuyen.
And a competent alchemist still needs the makings. It's also labour intensive as well, and apparently there's a massive demand for it for foci and magical research.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.