[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Annoying GM habits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
ITT: Annoying GM habits, preferably poorly executed plothooks he expects you to bite on, getting butthurt mad if you don't.

>You see two twins, they are young elves, in a city full of elves. They ask you where the harbor is and, as you tell them, they leave.

>While you are getting a job done, you hear a scream, it is not close to your position nor anyone seems concerned about it

>NPCs constantly commenting: "Evil is coming" like it is their only line in a videogame.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 500x667
>>46852973
>online game was yesterday
>GM got so drunk he got sick and left an hour into the game
>he was drinking because he was depressed

Im less annoyed than I am terribly worried.
>>
>>46852999
I tried playing online once, but the gm just stopped playing after one session.
>>
>>46852999
I hear pretty often about episodes like this in online gaming. Is it true or biased?
>>
>>46853043
It's the first time It's happened.

Though I have also heard about it a lot actually.
>>
>>46853043
Yeah, I'm a GM for an online group. I drink pretty heavily during the games. If I didn't then I couldn't deal with these fucking people. Although ill run the whole session and wont back out like a pussy. I might also be drinking from depression but that's nobody's concern!
>>
>>46852973
>You're paralyzed for 2 rounds
>The lich knows this and doesn't order his undead minions to finish you off
Because since you are so obviously jobbing to us I don't feel the danger. Just one example, but man i hate GMs just not make the combat lethal.

>Characters of a typical disposition are not played correctly. Like at all.
Like when we ruined the gangs drug stash we don't get killed, but instead told to pay up. We don't have that kind of money. "Get that kind of money" and they don't take any kind of security. Like holding hostages or the like. What the shit.
>>
>>46852973
What that first example is even supposed to be? Like, how is a dude asking directions, receiving them and going their merry way a plot hook, I don't follow the logic at work here?
>>
>>46853116
Exactly. The GM thinks that's a plothook and then gets angry the players don't follow through with it. Hence, annoying.
>>
>>46853151
OP here. Confirm this.

I actually tried to treat it as a plothook, and followed them. They just froze the moment they reached the harbor and started staring at the ocean. When I asked them or anyone there anything, they just ignored or went with the third example
>Evil is coming

He rage quitted the session because we didn't catch on any plothook.
>>
>>46853350
He obviously wanted you to start swimming and have awesome underwater adventures with cthulu.
>>
File: 5u04055.png (99 KB, 320x273) Image search: [Google]
5u04055.png
99 KB, 320x273
>>46852973
>in the middle of an encounter
>almost time to wrap the session up
>"Let's assume you succeeded in going further and stopping the bad guys"
>>
>>46852973

If I tried that hook while being a GM, and they didn't bite, I would just have a terrasque or some gigantic creature come and destroy the harbor/4th of the town and then it would dive out. After, I'd try to come up with something else mid session that's a link to the big boy.
>>
>>46853074
I hate when both of these happen.

Just like when you help a thief and then he goes

>Thief: "Now I can't let you live because you would call the guards"
>Me:"Dude, I wanna be part of your squad, I'm all about thieving and actually agree with your moral compass"
>GM:"Roll initiative"
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.